Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #781
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Tony, what a great supper to fix for your daughter. Is your sister on here?

JF-glad to see you posting and congrats on the loss.

Marilee, maybe this is just what you need, a break for a while.

OK, here is the recipe of the muffins I made yesterday. My 11 yr old son said they tasted like chocolate cupcakes

1 1/2 c chocolate whey protein powder
1/2 c ground flax seeds
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix above
Beat 2 eggs add 1/2 c SF caramel syrup (Starbuck's), not the topping, 1/2 melted coconut oil, 1/2 c plain yogurt. Add the above and mix til blended. I also added 1/2 c of chocolate whey crisps. Baked in reg size muffin tin lined with paper (made 12) and backed at 375 for 15-18 minutes til toothpick came clean.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #782
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
it is the troll's prerogative to change his mind.

Getting fish for dinner. However, fish is not filling, so i will get a bacon cheeseburger to which i will add a sunny side up egg.I had no lunch today I, with some trepidation, am beginning (before Seinfeld)begins, the WW exercise video. it has 5 different programs. i will do as much as possible from program 1, entitled FAT BURNING BASICS-20 minutes. Every day I will do a different program, and keep rotating. May the Gods give me strength!!! FF
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #783
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, i don't know how they prepared your veal chop, but i drool every time i think of the one i had...stuffed with fontina cheese and prosciutto, lightly breaded and baked - omg!...fish sounds good and btw, i never had a chance to comment on your waist measurement...do you have any idea how much of a MONUMENTAL achievement it is to lose 11 inches off your waist in a year and a half?...apparently NOT!...you're only 13 more inches from a 40 inch waistline bro - that's awesome!...

vicki, i refer to jenny as my sister - we go back a long way on here, she helped me through some tough times and it always seems like we struggle and do well at exactly the same time whether we are in touch on here or not...it's really funny!...

and of course your son thought they tasted like chocolate cupcakes - every ingredient in them was chocolate!...

marilee, keep us posted on the nutrisystem - it looks like a great plan on tv...i'm proud of you for switching it up a bit, girl...

well, i did have a nice salad with grilled chicken for lunch - just the right size...unsweet tea with it and the salad and the banana are all i've had so far today...that will allow me some calories tonight to spend on dinner with sarah...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #784
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Having problems with my insulin tonight so I decided to do my training tomorrow and Sunday. Hopefully I'll be feeling more up to it.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #785

it was a straight forward broiled veal chop bone in.

it was great. i will go to the butcher somewhere (i have never seen them at Shoprite), and do it Italian style myself w/o the breading at some time. I did program #1 on the WW exercise dvd. 20 minutes duration. Now I remember why i stopped doing it 3 years ago. I am so freakin' unco-ordinated. However I got a good schvitz. one program (#5) is a 10 minute abs workout. I think it will work out just fine. The food just arrived. I will have the broth, yesterday's salad, and the bcb with the sunny side egg on top (mine). I will leave the fish and veggies for tomorrow's dinner. Buona notte a tutti. FF
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #786
Major LCF Poster!

yeah, the bone was in mine too, and it was huge!...just slightly smaller than a prime rib, and about 1 1/2-2 inches thick...when we get to goal, let's celebrate - come on out and i'll treat you to the veal chop at donatello...

artemis, sorry to hear about your insulin - i bet you'll feel better in the morning...

still not sure what we're doing for supper!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #787
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Had a craving for peanuts yesterday that I tried to resist and then gave in to. Hoping it was just a one time slip. Of course was up some today on the scale from the calories and salt. My food yesterday for the rest of the day was on program - tuna with sour cream and seasonings, brocolli with dip and 2oz of cheese. Hope today goes smoothly. I feel so much better about myself when I keep with the program.

artemis, sorry about your problems with your insulin last night. Hope all is well with you today.

Vicki your chocolate muffins sound wonderful. Am saving that recipe in my low carb file! do you know the carb count for one muffin? Eggs, yogurt and whey protein sounds pretty healthy too!

Marilee, what is on the menu for today? All that nutrisystem food looks so good on tv. How is it packaged to send through the mail?

FF, I am impressed that you keep looking for solutions to working out. If you can't make it to the gym you get out your WW exercise tapes. You see how your whole mind set has changed from day one. It really is becoming a way of life. You continue to be an inspiration to us all!

Tony, did you and your writing buddies have some good inspiration this trip? Have a safe trip home today!

Will check in later. Have a terrific Saturday everyone!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #788
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abi, I don't count carbs so I didn't figure it out.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #789
Major LCF Poster!

hi abi, we got some good stuff written this trip and built the foundation for a couple of songs we will finish when i'm back in october...the best part of this trip, though, was spending time with sarah!... :-) peanuts are not the worst choice...get some unsalted ones to have around the house when you really NEED them...lots of water will take care of the scale today...

when she got out of work last night, we went to dinner at a mexican restaurant with a nursing friend of hers and that girl's mom, who is from new orleans - we had a great time...except for a few tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole, i avoided carby choices and went with the chilean sea bass - it was unbelievable!...had some light sauce over it with grilled zucchini...i could eat that 5 days in a row...

i have to say i had a very good trip eating-wise after the banana bread and pudding :-) tomorrow morning will be the morning of truth - will i get below the 214.2 in order to avoid a restriction penalty?...only the scale-god knows...this plan is working for me though, because the thought of these bi-weekly weigh-ins is significantly altering my behavior and that's the goal...i am required to get to 214 or below by morning and that will influence how i eat today for sure...

as i said, i will give myself a reprieve from potential penalty at tuesday's weigh-in - it's just too short a time after tomorrow's and i want to be fair to myself :-)

my son anthony drove to nashville to spend a few days with his sister - very cute - and he got here last night to surprise us...unfortunately, it was after dinner, but i will feel better leaving the two of them together rather than leaving sarah alone...
Old 09-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #790
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Man, you must have eaten at a classy Mexican place. The ones around here don't serve fish, just the usual. My only low carb choice is fajitas, tossing the tortillas.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Well got my training in this morning. I'm still learning my way around here but I found a nice 2 mile trail. I made it through pretty well until I started getting major leg cramps. Will have to pay attention to my stretching.

Feeling a bit blue today. Don't feel like eating much. Vicki, those muffins do sound good! I love to bake so one of the things I like to do is to play around with recipes and substitute low carb flours.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #792

Artemis...check out what Dr. Atkins says about leg cramps.

I left DANDR in the drawer at work. I just finished my 1st meal of the day-salmon filet (about 12 oz)at 1:30pm, with garlic infused broccoli, a few florets. Very good. Right now I am sitting on a bomb. I have 2 lbs of bakery cookies in the fridge. These are a belated office treat to celebrate Augustus' birthday. But I am a clever general. My strategy was to keep a few lc goodies in the fridge; 2 slices pound cake and 2 tiramisu. The net carb total for all 4 are 18 net grams (in the event I lose control). At least I will not be opening the cookie box. For dinner I am making cheeseburgers (i hope not more than 2)with a sunny side up egg on each one, with a side of string beans inundated with garlic and butter (and some Mrs. Dash). For dessert, I will have 1 slice pound cake with whipped cream and a drizzle of WF chocolate syrup. And before Mr Sandworm bedews my eyelids, I will do another
WW exercise video session. If I don't-NO DESSERT!!! FF
Old 09-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #793
Senior LCF Member

FF are you talking about potassium depletion? That could certainly be a possibility.

Abi I bought some coconut oil tonight. Silly me, I was looking for it to be a liquid but it's actually a solid at room temperature! So how do you take it and how much daily? Do you heat it and then take it or are you just cooking with it? I saw a post somewhere on a different site that a woman was mixing it in her coffee...not sure I could do that one because you can actually see the oil floating around in it.

Also has anyone tried doing the one good meal a day method? I am finding it really hard to eat normal meals because I am not yet adjusted to my new environment. So I was thinking about doing 1 or 2 protein shakes a day and then making myself do one really good meal in the evenings.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #794
Major LCF Poster!

vicki, it's a gourmet mexican place - the food is wonderful and the prices are reasonable...they make fresh guacamole at your table, etc...

artemis, nashville is a great city that is more like a small town - you're gonna love it once you get settled...

ff, hope you enjoy the treats from the LC bakery...let us know how dinner turned out...

i'm back home and a bit horrified!...my wife did the cooking and shopping this week while i was away and i think she's trying to kill me!...the house if full of bagels, potato salad, breads of every variety, sweets, etc...i was starving when i got home and had some salad with tuna, shaved steak with melted provolone and some chili...probably more calories than i should have eaten, but it was a travel day and before dinner, my whole day consisted of:
b: 1/2 apple
l: a handful of unsalted cashews

i also didn't drink enough so i'm dreading tomorrow's weigh-in...we'll see... :-)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #795
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, I take the coconut oil in my coffee with cream and just don't look at it floating around. You could also use a coffee cup with a lid to hide it. Some people cook with it but I haven't tried that yet. I have seen a recipe for a chocolate bark that people keep in their freezer until they eat it. I'll look around for some ideas and recipes. I have heard it used as a skin cream but don't know if your body absorbs it to get the benefit that way.

Tony, it sounds like you were still able to find something good to eat in the house. Good luck on the weigh in today!

Vicki, I forgot you don't count carbs. I don't all that much but could figure out the carbs when I make those muffins if I can get my math mind to working. lol

FF, good strategy on the no desserts if you don't do the ww workout and also only having the maximum amount of carbs in the frig in case you loose your will power.

I am going to have to really try that with the nuts. I've told you there is always a big jar sitting in the living room at Mom's for family members that drop by and want them. It is just too much for me right now. Am going to try the Tony/FF reward system. I will allow myself x amount of nuts but if the weigh in on Tuesday does not show at least a 1/2 pound drop they will be off limits.

Marilee, have you had day one back on Nutrisystem yet? How did it go?

Will try to check back in later. Have a great Sunday everybody!

Last edited by Abigale; 09-25-2011 at 01:20 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #796
Major LCF Poster!

Artemis, here are several recipes using coconut oil.

Coconut Oil Recipes and ideas...

I am using only one tablespoon in my first cup of coffee right now because I am trying to keep my calories down. When I get to maintenance I will add several more because I think it is a very healthy fat.

Vicki, I see on the coconut oil thread they have a recipe for mayo. May try this next. It is pretty much the same as the flax seed oil one which I really did not like after all. We'll see and I will let you know. I see she added ranch dip to one variation which I just love - so maybe?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

morning abi...

i'm gonna try to survive today surrounded by these carbs and then talk my wife into bringing it to school on monday - there's a teacher's room that is like a black hole for food...

weigh-in in a few hours - i was optimistic until i got home last night...it's funny because i wasn't even hungry until i actually forced myself to eat something - it was like a switch got turned on - that taught me something else new about myself...

one thing i have learned all too well is that i need to get the bad stuff out of the house...wish me luck :-)
Old 09-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #798
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Patiently awaiting your weigh in Tony

Abi, I will have to check out the coconut oil mayo, although I wonder how hard it could get when in the refrigerator though?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #799
Senior LCF Member

Man I must've unknowingly ate something salty yesterday because I woke up swollen like a balloon! Maybe it was the chicken I bought from the deli at the supermarket for dinner??

Abi, thanks for the recipes! I felt like having scrambled eggs this morning so I tried cooking them in a tsp of coconut oil. I wasn't sure how much to use. I may work up the courage to try it in my coffee...does it taste oily?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #800
Major LCF Poster!

i think i need a new scale...it gives different readings every time i step on and off - i thought this was a good one, but now i have my doubts...

the good news is that the range of readings was between 212.6 and 213.6, so if i can rely on the "range", i lost at least .6 lbs. and possibly as much as 1.6 lbs. since last tuesday...i'm gonna call it the higher number of 213.6 as i am done thinking i am lighter than i am!...

so no new restrictions this week - i'm proud of myself as i have lost 7.4 lbs since monday, sept. 12 (my mom's birthday)...
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

i started this blitz at 212 and am gonna get below that by the end of this blitz, even if it kills me!...i can't believe we are only 5 days away from the end of this thing!!!...go back and look at how many folks were here on the first couple of pages and how few are left...maybe they left us in the dust and got to their goals!...i hope so...

gonna try to drink a couple of gallons of water today...so far i've drunk 24 ounces and a shot of acv and a handful of blueberries...

Last edited by tony8; 09-25-2011 at 08:27 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #802
Senior LCF Member

Just finished my last training session for week 3! I figured out what is wrong with my legs...good ole' fashioned case of the shin splints! I must have done it the other day when I was running uphill. Well the pain made me run like a grandma but at least I finished. The next week has us jogging 1/2 mile intervals so I'm kinda scared lol.

I'm with you Tony. I want to be back down to my weight before the move by the end of the month so that I can start out with a clean slate for October.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #803
Major LCF Poster!

lunch was awesome...picked up some barbecue take out - wings and ribs and chicken and baked beans...yum!...it was a big meal, so i will try to eat lightly until curfew...

my strategy since embarking on operation 1derland 2 weeks ago has been to stretch the hours of the day where i am not really hungry for as long as possible...increased water consumption and keeping low-cal, healthy snacks handy have helped a LOT...if i can have 10 hours where i've snacked 3-4 times but only consumed a few hundred calories, that leaves me plenty to spend on a good dinner...and i don't feel deprived and then curfew saves me from late night grazing...

it always gets easier on the weekdays, so if i can finish today strong, i should be able to finish the blitz strong...

how's everyone else doing?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #804

not a bad weekend...after all.

I completed my cultic responsibilities for the Divine Augustus. He was quite pleased that I did not cave to the cookies. (He expected no less). I also bought a honey cake in the Russian bakery. It is a traditional food for Rosh Hashanah.Of course, I will not touch it. 6 days to weigh-in. I will be sodium dumping this week. That is: no bacon, sausage, lox, salami. In other words NO SALTY FOODS. Also, I will be upping the H2O. I walked today about 5 miles. Later I will be doing the 10 min abs program. No more exercises using my feet for today. Then, after weigh-in I may allow myself 1 indulgence, and ONLY if I exercise it off. If I decide to do a Wendy's frosty, I shall have to wait for Sun, October 2. Because there will not be enough time between weigh-in and the beginning of DAS RHEINGOLD, by the San Francisco Opera (wqxr.org 1:00pm edt, Sat Oct 1). That is an indulgence of another kind. Oh, I have to look for my nutcracker. When I get back from NJ, I am buying a very large lobster, boiling the bejesus out of him, and dipping the forkfuls into a lemon/butter/garlic sauce. Oh Yeah!!! FF
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #805
Major LCF Poster!

ff, great job on the 5 miles!...you are an exercise monster, bro...if you can up your water significantly this week, i can guarantee the results will show up on the scale...i have drunk over a gallon so far but i won't make the 2 gallons i was hoping for...

the chicken wing sauce was probably salt-filled but i'm hoping the water will flush most of it...we'll see...not hungry but there's 90 minutes til curfew so i will try something modest - maybe a teaspoon of peanut butter...
Old 09-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #806
Senior LCF Member

I made a crustless low carb quiche this evening. Added some coconut oil, it was delicious! I also got 1.5 gallons of water in. I felt a lot of whooshing going on but I don't want to jinx the scale for tomorrow.

I'll keep the exercising light tomorrow and rest my legs.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #807
Major LCF Poster!

sounds good, artemis...i love crustless quiche...one of my favorites!...good luck on the scale tomorrow!

had some carrots dipped in hummus and a teaspoon of peanut butter as a pre-curfew snack...done for the night... :-)
Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #808
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, I wonder too how creamy the coconut mayo will stay in the frig. I read where one lady ended up adding some fat free milk to hers after afew days because it had gotten too thick. If it would taste good I wouldn't mind doing that.

Tony, losing over 7 pounds since Sept. 12th is excellent. You seem to have worked out a plan that agrees with you with the snacks until dinner. You aren't starving and you get a nice filling meal at the end of the day.

Artemis, maybe I will get brave cooking with the coconut oil after reading your experience with the eggs and quiche. You asked if my coffee tastes oily. Well I put so much greasy heavy cream in it anyway I can't tell the difference. My niece and I were talking about it at breakfast yesterday and she complained that if the oil gets into your dish water it is next to impossible to cut it with soap. I have learned to wash my coffee cup separately from the other dishes if I don't want a greasy disaster. Sorry about the shin splints. Hope they heal up quickly.

FF, your patience on this journey is very inspiring. Step by step you are working to your goal and you are going to enjoy it every step of the way. You plan for your sugar free treats and don't let them derail you by not having more than you are allowed even in the frig. No drama, just the matter of fact plan you have developed.

Got to run, will return later. Have a great day everybody!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #809
Major LCF Poster!

abi, did you just say "ff" and "no drama"?...are you trying to hurt his feelings?...he's an opera-loving, augustus-worshipping alien for god's sake!...

btw, your last post has eliminated ANY possibility that i will be using coconut oil in my diet...
Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #810
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
I made a crustless low carb quiche this evening. Added some coconut oil, it was delicious! I also got 1.5 gallons of water in. I felt a lot of whooshing going on but I don't want to jinx the scale for tomorrow.

I'll keep the exercising light tomorrow and rest my legs.
I have done that before. I don't even miss the crust.
Closed Thread