Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #751
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey guys,
quick check-in...

abi, do what you can do and give a lot of thought to a plan you think you can stick with before you try to implement it...this is a marathon and you have time to formulate and change as the need arises...i'd suggest not trying something that will make you feel too deprived...you'll find it!...

ff, happy birthday augustus!...good job trying new things and then having the good sense to abandon strategies that you don't feel will work for you...

artemis - you'll be fine once you get settled...you've got a new place with empty cupboards - fill 'em with good stuff and you'll have a much easier time of it...we're with ya, kid...

i'm in nashville and in heaven seeing my daughter...being with her makes me realize how much i miss her!...she is soooo cute - taking care of daddy...unfortunately for my diet, she wanted to make me treats and before i got here, made some of my "old" favorites: banana bread and butterscotch pudding!...i do not have the heart to tell her i don't eat that any more...i hinted that i try not to eat too much, but ate what she gave me and made a big deal out of how delicious it all was - and it WAS delicious!...

since i have no restrictions on my current plan, as long as i keep losing, it was not a breach of plan protocol, and to be honest, there is NO WAY i would refuse what she went to so much time and trouble to make me...

btw, i hit 214.2 on tuesday and eeked out no restrictions - at least until i get back and weigh-in on sunday morning...i'll deal with the scale then!...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #752
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
good boy Tony....great drop in lbs.

So looking forward to Fri & Sat. I need a rest. It will be raining both days. However, if I know what is good for me, i will get out of the house for a good part of both days. i can relax when i get home. I will be dusting off those WW exercise videos on my non-gym days. It is harder and harder to get to the gym on work days. It took 2 hrs dureing the summer. Now with the buses mobbed with school "kids", it is closer to 3. I wanted to do 2 weekdays and Sat & Sundays. Now it looks like it will be Sat and Sun only, and occasional days off from work. I can only do what i can do. FF
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #753
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Hey Tony! How is everything down in Music City? We understand completely about not wanting to hurt your daughter's feelings. Doubt that little bit will derail you. Concerning my plan, it is pretty limiting so far but I haven't given up yet. My older sister who lives in Canaan and works at Dartmouth Hitchcock is taking off the afternoon to come visit Mom and me and anyone else in family that can make it by. I usually go home to start my window of eating but can't today. Hope I can scrounge up something low carb here at Mom's.

FF, sorry the weather is not going to co-operate with you this weekend but the rest will do you good. Does the hospital you work at have long hallways you can walk some at lunch time?

Hope to hear from Vicki and Marilee today!

Talk to you all later.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #754
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while. I've been really depressed for several reasons, which lead to binge eating, which created more depression and the cycle continues - one I'm afraid I am very familiary with.

Anywho - am back over 300 pounds again. I'm really analyzing this - I know... not good...there must be a way to eat and be satisfied. My body responds to lc eating, but when I go off I major binge on carbs. So, I'm wondering if eating a little more of them than I have will satisfy me....so, I'm going to go back on NutriSystem for a couple of months, get back to portion control and healthy carbs (which they are) and see if that helps. I've been on it before and lost, but it was very slow. Now that I'm down around 30 pounds, it's ok....I've had my jump start.

Sorry to be a downer - I promise I'll post more, even if it ain't good news.

I start my mini-vacation tomorrow. Not doing anything exciting - spending time with my friend before she moves away. May go to the movies. I just won't be at work.

Abi - I have decided it's never going to cool down Seriously, it will be 104 today, but the mornings are "cooling" off (relatively speaking) and are in the mid 70's so nicer weather is on the way. It's nice to be able to open the doors and windows and let some fresh air in. My cats love it - if you look down the hall you can see 4 butts lined up at the door looking out and smelling fun aromas!

TTYL

Marilee
Old 09-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #755
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
I made the mistake of weighing this morning...gained a lot of weight during the move. I shouldn't be so surprised since I got completely off my regimen. But it's not like I was just sitting on my behind the whole time!! Plus, when I moved in my place wasn't ready so I didn't even have a pantry for 2 days!
I am going back to the C25k training today. But as for the eating plan, I've got to come up with a different plan. I am also experiencing some psychological problems that I think are stemming from being in unfamiliar territory...for some reason, "real" food is not at all appealing to me.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #756
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
(((((((((Marilee))))))))) the energizer bunny, you keep going and going. You can do this.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #757
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys, got a little more computer time so i thought i'd drop in :-)

ff, if you go to the gym on the weekend, that is so much better than not going at all - a 3 hour trip is waaaay too much motivation to expect to have - it borders on impossible...i know i couldn't do it!...do what you can do - good motto...

marilee, sorry you've been feeling down, but you're not a downer - that's what we are all here for - to support each other through the successes and the struggles...you carried us for a long time - don't forget that...i think the changes you are considering make a lot of sense...this plan has done its job and it's no longer working cuz you can't stick with it...i've gone through that so many times in the past 1 1/2 years and now i know that the changes are a necessary part of this...find a plan that gives you some structure, but is doable and accept a slow steady rate of loss...like the tortoise, it will get you there faster than the yo-yo... :-)

artemis, we are breathing the same air here in nashville...take a deep breath and make your next snack/meal a good one and you will be back on track...it's tough to move away from family under the best circumstances, but we know why this move at this time is particularly difficult for you...give yourself some time to adjust and don't be too restrictive...eat good healthy food in reasonable portions without worrying about net grams of anything and you'll at least maintain until you are in a better place, ready and able to focus on losing weight...we're here if you need anything...

abi, good luck finding something LC at mom's house :-)

sarah won't be feeding me for a couple of days, so i'm trying to behave!...she did feed me a piece of banana bread for breakfast this morning though, then i had a salad with grilled chicken for lunch and a cheese stick for a snack...not sure what dinner will be...

avoiding drinking alcohol, which is a major trick in this town :-)

Last edited by tony8; 09-21-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #758
Senior LCF Member

Ok, just got back into my training...week 3! I had to do a couple of 3 min running intervals and as luck would have it I hit some hills during that time period! But I made it Well, at least that is some progress...3 weeks ago I would not have been able to run for 3 min uphill.
As I always say, it's never too late to turn the car around. So here goes nothing! Hang in there Marilee!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, your description of the four cat butts lined up down the hall is so funny. We have two cats that were born without tails and so there are always little butts staring you in the face. They love to lay on the window sills when the windows are open and make chattering noises at the birds. I think if you have lost before on Nutrisystem and feel having more carbs will keep you satisfied I think you should go for it. Like Tony said the steady loss is good and faster than a yo yo! How long will it take you to get some of their meals in or can you buy them locally?

Wow artemis, running 3 miles and uphill too! That is terrific! Any extra weight you picked up with the move will melt off you!

FF, I can't imagine having to travel for 2 to 3 hours to get to the gym. You are very dedicated and it is paying off. Getting out of the house is a good thing for me too. It was very tough yesterday having to kill time until my sister got there. I felt like I was going to get into a major binge. Did find some cheese sticks in the fridge and had a cup of coffee with cream which helped. When I got home I had two cups of ground beef and didn't even measure the brocolli I ate. So the day was fine and a crisis averted.

Today Mom gets her hair done and then I am free the rest of the day. The main thing I look forward to is not having to get in the car and drive back to Vermont at 6pm and then going to bed at 7 rather than 8:30. lol I sure lead and exciting life don't I?

Tony, glad you were able to check in again and offer some great words of wisdom. We all benefit from them. How is your daughter liking living and working in Nashville? Has she made some friends and is she homesick at all?

Will check back in later. Have a great Thursday everyone!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #760

the hospital cafeteria is on the other side of the galaxy

the main reason i go there is for the round trip walk. The food is good too, especially the prices compared to the outside. Easy to stay on plan. Yes, tomorrow, for the divine Augustus, i am gonna bust my hump. Saturday the same. Sunday I may be in Manhattan doing a lot of walking, after i get my opera tickets (wishful thinking at this juncture)for Siegried and Goetterdaemmerung(which someone once translated as ******* it's long!!!)4 1/2 hours). Whatever price i pay, i will certainly get my $$$ worth. FF
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #761
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, artemis!...3 miles and hills too?...you are doing better than you think you are!...

abi, nice strategy yesterday to avoid a binge...i'm proud of you!...sarah has adjusted well to nashville and made tons of friends - there are new nurses here from all over the country in the same program she is in and they hang out and make dinner for each other, etc....she just got a puppy to keep her company when she is in her apt...i think she misses home but i don't ask, as i don't want to make it worse if she does...she's a strong person and will be fine, plus we are visiting her often...one of her brothers will be here after i leave :-)

ff, i love hospital cafeteria food...my mom was in and out of mass general some years ago and they had a great assortment of stuff and the prices were great...i don't think i could sit still for 4 1/2 hours, bro...lol...

dinner last night was some pistachios and a banana...daughter was out with friends and i decided to stay in and eat the snacks i had bought...i'll have 1/2 an apple for breakfast and be done with it...trying to be good so i don't gain on sunday's weigh-in...i've already decided i will not penalize myself on next tuesday since there will only be 2 days between official weigh-ins next week...

have a great day!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #762

who said i will be sitting still?

i will be doing a lot of stomach- holding- in exercises, and keeping a hand over my mouth to keep from singing along, while it is going on. The Siegried is 11/5/11, and the Goetterdaemmerung is 2/11/12. My birthday is 2/13 as it is measured on Earth. i was born the same day Wagner died (in Venice). However, that was a number of years apart. I will not shoot myself if i do not get tickets, but it would be nice. FF
Old 09-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #763

i hit the jackpot!!!

they had pepper steak in the cafeteria. They gave me quite a portion. There was neither sugar, nor any kind of thickener in the sauce. But i will allow 5 grams, just to be on the safe side. I ate it quickly. I expect to be quite full within 30 minutes. I am quite satisfied now. The server was going to give me more, but i stopped him. (the old troll would have let him continue). Tonight, at the diner, i am having a veal chop. the salad i will take home for tomorrow's dinner (whatever that may be). i will have the chop with 2 veggies. I do not think i will be taking part of it home. It would have to be an awfully large 1, and they only give you 1. Also, i am gonna have some mediterranean olives and a little cheese tomorrow. Augustus was a grazer. he only had a decent sized meal at state functions.I do not think he had even 1% body fat. I may even make some coffee in my new old coffee-maker. I wonder if Savarin is still available. I did not see it in the shelves at Shoprite. I have a little left. I do not have to worry about de-caf, as i do not have to go to work the next morning (Sat). FF
Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #764
Major LCF Poster!

FF, is Savarin a kind of cheese? Great that you were able to tell the server you had enough. That has always been one of my biggest problems - being able to push myself away from the table.

How is the little puppy doing Tony? Our 100 pound puppy will be 3 on Oct. 1st. If I knew then what I know now not sure If I would get another puppy. She it totally loveable and so much better than she used to be but if anyone comes by she still goes ballistic, like she has never had an ounce of attention. It is so embarrassing. I guess that's a Lab for you.

I just had a cup of cooked ground beef and an oz of provolone cheese. Drinking my first 16 oz of plain water for the day. Going to finish off lunch with a cup of Hazel Nut coffee with cream. Dinner will probably be same as last night.

May check in one more time if I get a chance. Want to hear more about Nutrisystem from Marilee.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #765

oh no!!! SAVARIN is the coffee that got me into COFFEE.

it was the official brand at my Earth aunt's house, and was (and i hope is)the official brand of coffee at my house.It will be a real tragedy if Savarin is history. For those of us that put a few back, fuggeddabout it (as we say in Bklyn), and start anew. The trick is to make your daily consumables as luxurious as your budget will allow. This is what keeps my occasional sorties away from plan merely occasional. And the pride and relief I feel when getting right back on the horse is better than make-up OOMOX, y'know after a fight with Ms. Diminuitive Lobes.(Ferenghi females have smaller lobes than males). So the past is the past. Giddyup and eat it up. FF
Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #766
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Hello Everyone,
I haven't posted recently but have been checking in on you guys. I have been doing really well the last 11 days. Quit drinking alchohol completely, exercising and eating very low carb. I've lost 7lbs already and feel much better.

I've been reading alot of nutritional information and have incorporated coconut oil and also taking apple cider vinegar...

I'm still feeling pretty frustrated at myself for gaining back so much weight this summer but I have to get it off. I'm hoping to lose it as quickly as I gained which I think was really fast, especially considering I didn't go on any major binges and just had a few cheats here and there. My main problem was drinking too much wine and I realize that I will have to quit completely to lose the weight and may have to quit just to maintain my weightloss...My problem is I have a hard time stopping at one glass which probably wouldn't do too much damage. So, I'm better off not having any at all.

I'll try to check in often. Just wanted to cheer everyone on and say keep up the good work...we can never give up on the struggle!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #767
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Jenny! So glad you are back and with 11 good days behind you. Great about the 7 lbs gone. Mom and I have coconut oil in our coffee every morning. She has parkinson's disease and I think it is good for her brain cells. I have read alot of good things about it. Try not to get too impatient with losing quickly. If you can lose maybe 1 pound a week that is very good.

FF, is the Savarin a strong roast or mild? Some coffee smells wonderful but when I drink it it is too strong for my taste. I like the flavored ones like French Vanilla or Hazelnut or regular light roast coffees called breakfast blends.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #768
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, good luck getting those opera tix and congrats on the pepper steak...i love pepper steak!...

abi, the puppy is sooooo cute...i spent the day with her today as sarah was working...took her for a few walks and brought her to run some errands with me and then took her to the park...she is so well-behaved and so smart...she's only 10 or 11 weeks old and you tell her something a couple of times and she understands - she's going for puppy training and she will be easy to train...i am happy sarah has such a cute little friend...

ate very well today:
b: 1/2 apple
l: chicken and veggie stir fry
d: i picked up a couple of beef filets and will broil them and top them with shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic when sarah gets out of work at 7:15...i hope she's hungry :-)
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #769
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey sis, i didn't see your post!...so good to hear from you and isn't it funny/freaky we both have exactly 11 good days behind us??????...are we twins or what?...lol...i'm so proud of you for what you're doing - hope to see you as much as possible...i do better when you're here... :-)

abi, i gotta check into coconut oil - i don't know anything about it...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #770
Senior LCF Member

You guys give me too much credit on the running! I am up to 3 min intervals with walking in between not the entire 3 miles....YET! The goal is to be able to run the 3 miles at the end of the 9 week period so I hope to be doing that in 6 weeks. Tomorrow is another training day, then again on Sunday. Next week gotta get all the way back on the exercise wagon with some form of exercise in between my training days.

FF, what is a ferenghi?!

Abi, I hadn't heard about coconut oil and brain cells. I am a research Dr. and my specialty is neurology and degenerative diseases. We have worked a lot with neutraceuticals such as antioxidants but nothing with oils. Is coconut oil a "good fat"? If so, then maybe that is why. I'll look into it as it could be very interesting!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #771

good job, jen, giving up the alcohol

not easy to do. You will do better off for a while w/o it. It does not have to be forever. What is a FERENGHI (always capitalize)you ask? We are a race of highly evolved, intelligent, resourceful, and yes I must acknowledge...Drop Dead Gorgeous bipeds who maintain an empire adjoining the United Federation of Planets. On the other side of the Federation is the Klingon Empire, mercifully scores of lightyears away from us. They need to bathe more often. Our code of ethics is outlined in the RULES OF ACQUISITION. Profit is our highest concern. How I got stuck on this dreadful planet of yours is too long a story at this juncture. It has been a long day. I enjoyed my dinner. The veal chop was wonderful. I took the salad home. I thought he packed the cooked escarole, but I see he forgot. These things happen. Well, tomorrow at 5:05a.m. edt, Autumn begins. Even though it will be raining cats and dogs, it will still be a good day, cause I am off. It will be a great day for new beginnings. Let us not dwell on past food related performances. Delete them from your memory banks, and begin again. You will bring honor to the divine Augustus, whose birthday it is tomorrow, and profit to yourselves. FF
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #772
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ummmm, artemis, neurology and degenerative diseases?...and i'm giving you advice?...lol...

ff, STOP talking about veal chops, will ya?... :-)

Last edited by tony8; 09-22-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Well had an official weigh in today. Although I am showing more than a one pound drop since Tuesday's weigh in I'm counting it as a solid one pound. Hoping for at least another 1/2 pound drop for Tuesday and a total of one pound by next Friday.

Glad your daughter has such a good companion Tony and well behaved to boot. We have always had a couple of cats and off and on a dog. They are great company.

Had my usual meals yesterday of ground beef and brocolli dip and just the oz of cheese. May have some tuna today. Will decide later.

Running a little behind so will check back in later. Have a great Friday all and FF enjoy your long weekend!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #774
Major LCF Poster!

artemis, this is one article I found on the benefits of coconut oil for the brain. I know I have come across others over the last couple of years. There was an anecdotal one about a Dr. whose husband had alzheimers that caught my attention one time. He had to draw the face of clock at the clinic and couldn't really do it. His wife started giving large doses of co and at his next visit he could draw the clock. If I come across that one again I will post it.

Coconut boosts brain function
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #775
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

morning abi...

last night my daughter got off her 12-hour shift and i had made her dinner - she was so happy...broiled filet topped with shrimp sauteed in olive oil, butter and garlic, steamed broccoli and i fried her some potatoes, peppers and onions...

will keep it light again today during the day...not sure what we are doing for dinner tonight when she gets out of work...i think i'll take her out but if she is too tired, i'll order out...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Tony! Your dinner last night sounded delicious. Maybe you could start a
3rd career as a chef!

atemis, I found more info on the Dr. whose husband has alzheimers. She has a blog here

Coconut Oil and Ketones

Very interesting. I started eating lowcarb in 2008 after reading an article by Gary Taubes who wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories". As I did more research on ketones and low carb eating by reading blogs by Barry Groves and Dr. Larry McCleary I felt that going low carb could help prevent alzheimers and some cancers. It has always been the health aspect more than the losing weight that has been formost in my mind.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #777
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info Abi! I'll definitely read up on these.

The scale showed a decrease of 4 lbs this morning...all of it fluid that was gained during the move. I still have a few more to go before I'll be back to where I was before all the drama started. So my plan for today is to drink water until the cows come home! Also have a training session.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #778
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, thanks for the links - interesting stuff...

artemis, congrats on the 4 lbs!...i was amazed how much drinking water helped me last week...i haven't done it while in nashville for several reasons, but plan to flush again big time next week...

i am gonna hate leaving sarah here tomorrow!!! :-(

had a banana for breakfast and am planning to have lunch with a buddy - depending on where we go, i am gonna try to order a salad with grilled chicken...my strategy has been to eat as light as possible during the day but in regular intervals to stave off hunger and then to eat moderate portions of whatever i want for dinner...seems to be working...
Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #779
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi - quick check in. I got my shipment of NutriSystem on Friday. I order it from QVC and it's a lot less expensive. Today I'm going to the grocery store to get the supplemental foods for the plan - veggies, fruit, dairy and carbs - so I will be starting the plan tomorrow.

I need to read everyone's posts. TTYL
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #780

it was at your suggestion, Tony, months ago that

convinced me to order it. Tonight I will probably have pork chops, with 1 tsp of applesauce on each one. At that rate, the portion they give me will last till New Years, though in a fermented condition, no doubt. Well, I am home all day today. But, that is fine. I am recharging my batteries. Tomorrow I will be out of the house as soon as the sun comes up. For Augustus, I am actually going to use my WW exercise video. I hope that by the 1st day of winter, I will have made a considerable dent in my waistline, or at least I will have had the satisfaction of doing what I could to make positive changes, whatever they will be. FELICEM DIEM NATALEM DIVE AVGVSTE. FF
Closed Thread