Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey guys! Feeling a bit blue today. I had to leave my family. I always feel sad when our visit is over but it was especially hard this time because my grandmother is sick with cancer. Plus, I know in a few weeks I'll be moving even farther away for my new job. Ordinarily I would comfort myself with food but this time I am trying my hardest not to.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #542
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
artemis,
sorry to hear about your sadness...dealing with it in a non-food way can be the glimmer of positive energy you can glean from this difficult time...best of luck with that and my thoughts are with you and your family...

where do you live now and where are you moving to and where is your family?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, thanks for sharing that - i remember it now...you da man!...your revelation helped save me too, and for that i will be forever grateful...
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #544
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Artemis, I'm so sorry!!!!! You and your family are in my prayers.

What part of the country are you moving to?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Hello everyone,
I'm back from a week with my parents, daughter and sister at the beach--I did really pretty well with my eating except I drank alchohol every day. I didn't really gain any more weight but didn't lose either. The not gaining weight is actually a victory in my book because all summer long anytime I leave home or have house guest I gain a couple pounds.

I'll be leaving in a few days for a long weekend with my in laws and then will be mostly done with traveling and company for the summer!

Eating well today...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #546
Senior LCF Member

I live in Little Rock now which is about 3 hrs from my family, close enough to drive for the weekend but not close enough that I can help take care of her. And soon I will be moving for my new job in Nashville so I will be able to go home even less probably. I'm not as far as I could be I guess...but when you miss home one mile may as well be 5000.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey jenny!...so good to see you!...i've missed my twin A LOT...lol...happy to hear you are doing well...i miss hearing about your wonderful recipes too!...hope to see as much of you as possible...

artemis, i'm a songwriter and am in nashville every month - it's a great city cuz it's like a small town...but i hope you feel good about the move - if not, don't be afraid to rethink it...follow your gut...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #548
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
sometimes it IS all right to use food as comfort...i do

but i see to it that it is on- plan food. The operative word here is SOMETIMES. So sorry about your grandma. I was fortunate that I was a hop, skip & jump from my earth grandma. So, I saw her at least once a week after I moved out. At least u will be able to talk to her on the phone, until u can come for a visit. Tony, I hope u are reading this. I just finished watching the Antiques Road Show. I know u know more than a little about guitars. There was a 1952 Gold Les Paul Gibson electric guitar. It was worth $20,000 at either auction or retail. That's a lot. I did not make the steak or the turkey. I was just too tired. Before I got home, I tried to revive my flagging energy with a coffee at Dunkin'. It wouldn't take. I had one piece of meatloaf, and then my usual chinese repertoire. I hope i can drag myself to the gym after work. Perhaps, Tony, if u do not mind the suggestion, you might organize a visit with Artemis. I am certain that would cheer her up.U can discuss that with Artemis. FF
Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Artemis, sorry you are sad to be leaving your family and your ailing grandmother. How long a drive will it be from Little Rock to Nashville? Would it be possible to set your family up with a computer and Skype so you can see them when you call them? It's not the same as being there but a little better than just talking on the phone.

Jenny!!!! So glad you are checking in with us and that you are maintaining! Boy, what a summer full of visiting and having company. Do find it exhausting? We missed you!

Vicki, glad you and fiance have been having good communication. This is a good way to build a strong relationship.

FF, your story of how you started the Blitz is amazing! Just like that. Almost like you slapped yourself in the head and said "I could have had a v8". We are so glad you walked by the pastry cart that day!

Had my big juicy hamburger yesterday and it was delicious. Also had the rest of the egg salad, an oz of cheese, coffee with cream, water and a leftover half of an italian cold cut sandwich without the bread.

Will check in with you all later. Have a great Tuesday everybody!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #550
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Down a pound from my lowest since the gain for going out with my friend so I'm happy!

4.2 pounds to go and then I'll be in "new" numbers!

Today's eats:

B-coffee
L-nectarine, 1 melba toast, 3 oz chicken, cucumber
D-3 oz top sirloin, zucchinni, 1 melba toast, strawberries

TTYL!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #551

i'm rolling the dice, and i am sure they will come up GIBBY.

getting a bit apprehensive. weigh-in is 2 days away. it has been an on-plan August. did what i could in the exercise dept. took my pharmaceuticals and vita-vegemins. My last weigh-in was 308. But that was a month ago. Let us all pray and sacrifice to the Scale God, that she forget all the nasty things I have said about her. I am asking for 299.99; that is all. FF
Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
getting a bit apprehensive. weigh-in is 2 days away. it has been an on-plan August. did what i could in the exercise dept. took my pharmaceuticals and vita-vegemins. My last weigh-in was 308. But that was a month ago. Let us all pray and sacrifice to the Scale God, that she forget all the nasty things I have said about her. I am asking for 299.99; that is all. FF

May it be!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #553

got some of my mojo back.

after work, i am not going directly home. i am going to Kings Hwy in Bklyn (for those who know Bklyn), have a joe, and walk home. Tomorrow, i hope to get to the gym. I still cannot wear the new shorts outside, because the pockets are too shallow. I cannot afford to lose even 1 slip of latinum. FF
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #554

mojo is most certainly back.

it did not work its way down to the soles of my feet. I will save them for the treadmill, which i hope i will be treading 24 hrs from now. i AM making my PORTERHOUSE in about an hour. I may get to the turkey today. I can
Ronco it tonight, and slice it when i come home. It needs only 100 minutes. FF
Old 08-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the support guys! Was down a couple of pounds this morning...just haven't felt like eating. My coworkers took me out to lunch today at an Italian restarurant (it was a surprise so I didn't get to pick) since tomorrow is my last day here at work, but I wasn't hungry so staying on plan wasn't so hard. I just got a grilled chicken salad and picked at it.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #556
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rough 2 days at work - is it Friday yet? And a 3-day weekend coming

13 minutes and I'm outta here!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #557
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, as ff suggested, once you are settled in nashville, let's grab an LC snack together... :-) are you familiar with nashville?...have you spent much time there?...i also have a daughter living there - she's a nurse at vanderbilt university medical center...

marilee, you are AMAZING!...i'm so proud of how consistent you've been all year...really, you are almost in the 280s!!!!

abi, i love your sense of humor...is your mom still with you or was it safe to bring her back home?...

ff, while i was reading your post praising my knowledge of guitars, i was literally holding my martin acoustic in my hands...funny...my kids play electric and older les pauls can be quite valuable as you saw...i have a martin d-16 dreadnought acoustic, which is only worth about $1200...it does have electronics in it so that you can plug it in if you are doing a show...funny how you can get attached to an inanimate object, but that guitar has coaxed some pretty deep stuff out of me over the last few years...it feels like a close friend to me and when i hold it, i think differently...i named it "jimmy" as my songwriting hero is jim croce who also played a martin...

good day today:
b: 3 cherry tomatoes
l: a few chicken nuggets
d: steak tips and a few baked beans

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 08-30-2011 at 05:23 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #558

the continue-ing story of the PORTERHOUSE

i took out the saute pan. i was just about to put the heat on, when i realized it would be a good idea to take the PORTERHOUSE out of the freezer. It was cold, but far from frozen...or so i thought. It was hard as a rock. Old Betsy still has some breath left in her. I wasted no time, and put Mr. turkey breast in the freezer.I had some meatloaf with a combo of 2 chinese shrimp dishes (ATKINS-IZED). The other 1/2 I may take to work tomorrow, or after I get home. Not sure yet. I can deal with Mr. Turkey over the weekend ,when I return from ATLANTIC CITY!!! I am going Sat. just for the day. The travel guy verified that there was plenty of BOARDWALK for me. Irene did not destroy it. And the Tropicana still has the deal. $30.00 on them, plus a $10.00 coupon for the lunch buffet. A day well spent, win lose or draw. btw Friday is Sept. 2, the anniversary of the battle of Actium 31 bc. My side won. So I will have to drop a few coins at Caesar's. Of course I almost always have Caesar dressing on my salad. The particular Caesar is of course, Augustus. So my losses will be a sacrifice to his divinity. It is so nice to get out of this city, even for a day. FF
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #559
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm doing well again today--

Been eating/cooking with alot of coconut oil as I'm reading a really interesting book "nourshing traditions" that touts it's virtues.

I'm still grappling with the fact that I didn't do well this summer and thinking long term how I can prevent it from happening again...

Gibby--what a great feeling it will be for you to be seeing new numbers--I find it very discouraging to relose the same pounds over and over (been doing it most my life)

FF--I'm hoping for you--you've earned it!

Tony--one more trip this weekend (only three days) and I will be back and promise I will not stray again! I'm glad you have been able to keep all your weight off this summer, it truly is an acheivement. I wish I could say I did the same but I'm picking myself up and not giving up... I know how to get the weight off I just have to be consisitent and do it!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 AM   #560
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Thanks, Tony! I brought Mom home Monday and she was happy to get into her own bed that night -she has a hospital bed with one of those air mattresses that constantly pumps air from one cell to the next. Our guest room mattress just did not cut it. I also think that Jim Croce was a terrific talent.

Artemis, great on the two pounds down. So nice of your friends to take you to a surprise going away luncheon. Hope someone took pictures.

FF, hoping for the best on your weigh in and that it is 299.9 or less! Have fun at Atlantic City and good luck!

Marilee, I always looked forward to 3 day weekends when I worked in an office years ago. I think they are great for recouping your sanity!

Jenny, enjoy your trip this weekend and glad you are not giving up! I have read good things about coconut oil too and have it alot in my coffee. I think it is really good for brain cells especially and I need all the help I can get. lol

Yesterday I had ground beef, brocolli and cauliflower with dip, cheese, coffee with cream.

Have a great day everybody!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 AM   #561

i lost my chinese veggies.

i was throwing out the garbage, and the plastic container that had them was still on the dinette table. i left them there to cool before putting them in the fridge. And I forgot about them. there were 4-6 shrimps in there as well. bye bye veggies...but better u than me. I am glad that we are are all on the up and up this a.m.. Meat loaf for breakfast on lc toast with a slice of tom. Podiatrist and cold tilapia for lunch (bought it yesterday). i like it cold. I hope i have enough drive to make it to the gym tonight. So glad to see the back of August. Has anyone had sugar free salt water taffy? I am gonna check it out in A.C. I hope the carb counts are reasonable. No doubt they are loaded with sugar alcohols, so it will not be a regular thing. We all know that SUGAR FREE is not necessarily low carb. Well, i will have the answer soon enough. TOMORROW is weigh-in. May we have a drumroll please!!! FF
Old 08-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

<drums rolling> ff, best of luck on the weigh-in tomorrow...

jenny, don't spend too much time dwelling on this summer...i think with many of us, when we slip or in my case lately, when we don't lose, it is a lack of motivation...i don't understand it in myself, except that i got to a lot better place than where i'd been, and got complacent...it has taken me a while to feel like i need to lose this last 30-35 lbs. so i'm confident that will start happening...

you proved to yourself that you could do it...you carried these blitzes last fall and winter when you were getting ready for your hawaii trip...you were as disciplined as any of us have ever been and dropped a lot of weight...i know for me, once i prove i can do something, i relax and figure i can do it again...the other thing you have working against you, i think, is that although you may not be the weight you'd like to be, you are young, attractive and fit...and you feel good...no real health issues and you lead a very active lifestyle...

under those circumstances, and with the reality of needing to focus on being a mom, it is easy to put losing weight lower on the list of priorities...anyway, those are just some thoughts on what might be happening... :-)

i'm so happy you are around and maybe we can help each other really lose some pounds before the holidays...

abi, i want one of those mattresses!...good job on yesterday's menu!

let's all have one good day today and then build on that tomorrow...
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

92 degrees at 7AM - extensive heat warning for the past 5 days and continuing through Friday night - 113 predicted for today - WHEN WILL IT END!!!!!

Enough of that - no gain, no loss today - dagnabbit!!!!

Tony - I thought you named your guitar Jimmy for Jimmy Hendrix He's who came to my mind.....

Hang in there everyone! Take care.....TTYL
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #564

i tried 2 different scales this afternoon at the podiatrists

with shoes on (as always)and empty pockets, both scales said 301.5. Last month I was 308. There is still a chance, as tonight i will be at least 60 minutes on the treadmill. I will not throw myself on the 3rd rail if i do not get to 2dorland tomorrow. Once thing is certain. Next month, at this time i will not have anything to cry about. FF
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #565
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Doing ok, just busy with work and getting back into the swing of things. I am exhausted when I get home from work. Yesterday was an ok day as far as food, not perfect, but not completely off either. Today is better.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #566
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, that is awesome!!!...6 1/2 lbs. in a month is a very healthy pace...good for you, man...

marilee, focus on the "no gain" not the "no loss"... :-)
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #567
Senior LCF Member

I am battling with having absolutely no appetite the past few days...ordinarily I would say that's not a problem but it's probably not healthy to eat so few calories. I think it is from stress or something? I'm not eating as low carb some days as I do on induction so I don't think it's due to ketosis.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #568
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, you have a lot going on and that will affect your appetite...at least force yourself to drink enough water so you don't get dehydrated - just watch out for your body's reaction to this temporary starvation: you may become ravenous - so keep the junk out of the house and stock up on good food you can have without guilt...

hope things get better soon...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #569

what Tony said.

u are going through quite a major change. That is throwing off your normal routine. Give it a little time. Don't force yourself to eat. Have some fatty chicken broth, and keep it light. Your appetite WILL return (unfortunately? lol) FF
Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #570

i did all i can do. it is up to the scale god tomorrow eve.

i did my 60 minutes on the dreadmill, this evening. I also cut a deal with the evening gym mgr. Between 7pm & 8pm, he will turn the tv station to SEINFELD, while i am on the dreadmill. That will take my attention away from my feet. FF
Closed Thread