Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #511
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
yes, lcs...

all my resistance exercises do not require my feet or my legs. an amputee can use these machines. but i do need my cardio. i can WALK, but i cannot STAND. that is why, when i can't get a seat on the bus, my next stop is HOME. I try to get to the treadmill, before my feet are used up for the day. I overbought for lunch. I am pleased to say that I am putting the overage in the fridge. i will have bkfst waiting for me on Monday. Yay...self control. Final thoughts on the hurricane. She should do what her name suggests...calm down to a summer breeze. IRENE is Greek, and means PEACE. A more apropos name would be IRA which is Latin for anger, wrath rage.FF

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #512
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Very frustrated today. Anyone else get frustrated when things don't go their way? LOL. I am not going in to details.

Abi, I started making scotch eggs from the recipe in one of Dana Carpender's cook books. They typically are rolled in bread crumbs of some sort and deep fat fried. Dana's recipe calls to roll them in crushed pork rinds. I did that the first time and didn't see the benefit in taste or texture so I leave them off. I did not dip in mustard but when fiance' and I ate at a British Pub this summer, those were served with mayo and mustard.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8*28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #513

i think hurricane concern is quite overdone.

even in the light of Katrina, i do not think it is necessary to evacuate Boulder, Colorado FF
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey shadows!...great to see ya!...it's been awhile...happy to hear you are still trending toward your goal - good girl :-)

tmi back at ya, marilee...i weigh-in the same way!...

ff, you are correct about everything, my young friend...

hi abi...bracing for the storm?...good idea bringing mom to your house...hopefully we'll get a little wind and rain and nothing more...

vicki, sorry you had a rough day...keep your chin UP!

had a great day today:
b: handful of blueberries
l: 6 almonds and half a banana
d: grilled half chicken

the chicken was so juicy and tender...i cut whole chickens in half and use a dry rub on them and then slow cook/smoke them for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours...use tongs - no forks and juices stay sealed in...yum yum...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 08-26-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Gosh it is not even 4am yet and your menu has already made me hungry Tony! You could do a cooking infomercial. lol

LCshadows, so glad you are back with us. Hope you are doing well.

Vicki, yes I get very frustrated when things don't go my way too. Fortunately I don't dive into the carbs like I used to but it does make it harder when you can't bury your feelings in the "feel good" food.

FF, you are too much. Funny, though.

Hey Marilee, any relief from the temperature out in Phoenix today?

Will check back in later. Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #516

very humid-100%-no energy

no gym, no housework. i WILL do the laundry, as the machines are in the building. FF
Old 08-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #517
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
I am visiting my family for the weekend. So far so good! We went to dinner last night and I had a salad and said 'no' to that darn bread basket! I planned ahead and brought some of my own groceries and low carb snacks. They have lots of carbs all over the place but I haven't caved in yet.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #518
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good afternoon! I thoroughly enjoyed my meal out with my friend last night. I am up a pound, but I figure it's salt and seasonings so not to worry. Back on plan this morning and drinking lots of fluids. We had such a good time laughing and getting caught up on each others lives (although we work at the same place, we are on separate floors and rarely see each other). It was worth the pound!

No relief from the heat - we are breaking records for August! I think they said we hit 117 yesterday and we are going to be 114 today; 112 tomorrow and Monday and then we'll "cool" down to 108 on Tuesday - get me a jacket!

Marilee
Old 08-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Marilee, so glad you had a great time with your friend. Laughing is good for the soul and the water will get rid of that extra pound. Bummer on the heat. How cool will it eventually get in Phoenix and when do you expect it to cool down?

FF, it is very humid in the house right now but can't turn the air on with Mom here. She is very cold natured. We got tired of watching the weather channel so are zoning out watching HGTV. Hope we still have power after the storm hits Sunday. How is everything in NY now? Hope all is ok. Smart to get the laundry done in case of power outage.

Artemis, good for you for not caving with the bread and for bringing your own food. I have found that once my family knew I was not eating sweets or bread it kept me from giving in to temptation as they were all watching me. lol

Talk to you later!

Last edited by Abigale; 08-27-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #520

at this moment, it is raining...but not too heavily yet.

no wind yet to speak of. it will really hit much later at night and last well into Sunday afternoon. I am not in the coastal area. So I hope Con Ed does not pull the plug on me. All I have is a 20" box fan 3 inches from me, and sweating and drinking, and drinking and sweating. My fridge/freezer is at its worst. It is too hot to cook. I suspect I will have to throw out my perishables by the time the hurricane is over. carbs consumed today: 12. I went down to vlc due to no exercise. talk to you all later. FF
Old 08-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #521
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i hope they keep you powered up there...stay safe!

marilee, I LOVE YOU!...truer words were never spoken: "it was worth the pound"!!!... i'm happy you had so much fun...that's what life is all about!

abi, sorry to make you hungry so early, but i think that might have been the best barbecued chicken i have ever eaten... btw, i hope you don't get hit too hard over there - they keep shifting the heaviest band from us to you and we don't have the rivers you do, so i hope we get more than you do

artemis, i'm very proud of you for avoiding the bread basket - that's progress, kid!...

i had a pretty good day:
b: 1/4 leftover bbq chicken
l: skipped it - i was so full from breakfast
d: 3 ravioli and 1/2 meatball - a bit carby, but there wasn't much of it

brought a generator home from work, just in case...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #522
Blabbermouth!!!

I need to air something here. Last night, while eating supper, my fiance' made a comment how my son and I ate like pigs at the fair. I had super nachos and a slice of pizza ( I know, off plan) and my son ate fried cheese curds (he doesn't have a weight problem), fiance' had a loose meat sandwich and a slice of pizza. I back lashed with "well, I guess I had better not eat the turkey patty because I don't want to look like a pig in a snide and sarcastic voice, I also said some other things too. Fiance' said, "well I can just go back to my place and hang out with the cats too". We eventually apologized to each other; kissed and made up, but I am still reeling. I took his comment of eating like pigs very personally because I am already down in the dumps about weight as it is. I felt the comment meant that I WAS a pig. He may think it meant that we were eating fair food.

Last weekend I was crying after we went to bed because I am feeling really crappy about myself. He could sense it and said "what are you blubbering about?". As you can see I am still recalling that comment too. I told him last week that I think the term blubbering is negative and that crying or weeping would have been a more appropriate term. When I hear the word blubbering it means that there isn't a reason to be crying.

During our spat last night he made the comment that I am the only one that can change my eating habits. Am I being overly sensitive or is he being insensitive?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

My feelings would be hurt if someone said my child and I ate like pigs and had recently asked me why was I blubbering. But I have learned to put distance between those kind of remarks and how I respond until I am not as emotionally upset. Sorry Vicki - ((hugs))
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #524

the calm AFTER the storm.

true, as Yogi Berra said :"it ain't over till it's over". But, it looks pretty good from my 7th floor window (which is still intact btw). One of the neighborhood diners is open and delivers. Although, if I can pick up an onion and green pepper, that may not be necessary. I REALLY want to sit down at a Dunkin' with a big coffee and my walkman. The bottom line was I was stuck in this "hellhole" (humidity, u know) since Friday evening (except for trips to the laundry room in the building) and I STAYED ON PLAN. 12 net gr total yesterday, and i am counting 2 gr so far today (the cream container spout was somewhat defective)so i had a very light coffee, about 1 oz cream-label said zero gr per portion. In a few hrs I am going downstairs to survey the neighborhood. I hope everyone here affected by Irene got off as easily as I did. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #525
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Sorry you experienced that Vicki. I've been fat my whole life which makes me really sensitive to comments about weight and food. I have no idea whether your fiance has ever had a weight problem or not, but if not then maybe he just doesn't realize how much something which he sees as no big deal is really hurtful.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #526
Major LCF Poster!

I have been holding my breath all day hoping we would dodge the worst of Irene. Just took Bama out and there is blue sky up there, we never lost power, never felt any bad gusts of wind and did not loose power. I feel very blessed. Brattleboro where Mom lives had alot of flooding. The river that runs under Main Street flooded it's banks and alot of businesses on the side streets were flooded. This is a street I pass several times a day on my way to Mom's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flat Street Brattleboro hurricane Irene.jpg (39.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #527
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just logged on - I'm so glad all of you back east weathered the hurricane ok. I've been watching the Weather Channel a lot the last 3 days.

Down .6 pounds since yesterday. It is so unfair that it takes so little to gain and so much work to lose even an ounce. But, Tony, dinner out with a friend was STILL worth it

Vicki, I'm so sorry you had to deal with those negative comments. Personally, I thought one of the main reasons for going to the fair was to eat fair food :blush: So one loose meat sandwich and a slice of pizza is less like "eating like a pig" than a serving of super nachos and a slice of pizza???? I don't see the difference. I'm here if you need to vent by phone.

Hotter than heck, as mentioned before. Wish it would end.

TTYL
Old 08-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #528

was out this afternoon for about 75 minutes.

my neighborhood got off easy. No flooding, no loss of power, no uprooted trees. I hope the MTA gets the buses running again, at least by tomorrow a.m. The troll needs to get to work. Total net carb gr consumed today...7 gr. I am saving the ATKINS-ized egg foo young for tomorrow at work. Will divide it into 2 meals. one for bkfst, and 1 for lunch, but on different days. I hope the other BLITZERS chime in soon. I would like to know they are okay. As I had no exercise, I reverted to VLC for the weekend. I will start OWL again tomorrow.FF
Old 08-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

we just got power back after being in the dark all day...other than that, the storm was a dud - breezy and pleasant this afternoon - spent a couple of hours in the pool!...

vicki, i'm sorry you've been on the receiving end of anything negative...i don't know your fiance` so i don't want to comment on him too much, but when things like this happen, it can be a motivator...i experienced a similar comment from my brother a couple of years ago, and it hurt and stuck with me...rather than getting angry with him, i decided that i had the power to take that insult away from him...

i still don't think what he said was kind - in fact, it was insensitive - but i believe he does care about me and was trying to get my attention, which he did...i can't tell you how satisfying it was last february when my brother and i went out to dinner and he commented on how great i looked and how i was thinner than he was!...

keep your chin up (btw, i agree with marilee about the loose meat sandwich - what the heck is "loose meat" anyway?)

abi, thanks for sharing the photo...my college roommate is the director of food service at brattleboro hospital...if your mom is ever there and doesn't like the food, let me know and i'll pull some strings!...

ff, i'm very proud of you, bro...you have a steel will...mass transit will be up and running in the a.m. they say...

had a good day today...but aside from the pool, i don't think i burned more than 20 cals...sat around writing songs all day :-)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #530
Major LCF Poster!

thought I had lost this post so typed again below. lol

Last edited by Abigale; 08-29-2011 at 02:05 AM..
Old 08-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #531
Major LCF Poster!

My older sister used to call me chub when I was in junior high. I was 110 and not chubby at all but I believed her. You never forget those hurtful names. She is heavier than she wants right now but I never make any comments about her weight. Her motto is "eat in moderation". But that doesn't seem to be working..

FF, hope the buses are running for you today. I think it will be good to get back to regular schedules. I hope the weather has cooled off for you in NY this morning.

Tony, laying out by the pool and writing songs sounds like a relaxing way to contend with a hurricane. lol

Marilee, good news to be down in weight yesterday!

Vicki, thinking of you and hoping you have a great day!

I could have eaten everything in sight yesterday I was so stressed. Fortunately there was nothing off plan available. I had egg salad, brocolli and cauliflower with dip, some horesradish cheese, coffee with cream, and water. I had not bought any fresh meat thinking the power would go off so I am in the mood today for a big juicy hamburger!

Last edited by Abigale; 08-29-2011 at 02:07 AM..
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #532

Vicki, I think he was beingHYPER-INSENSITIVE, & you were

HYPERSENSITIVE. I have developed a thick skin regarding such insults, else there would be blood flowing across 6 or more states. Are u sure HE is the one? I felt i had to speak my mind. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #533
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks all for your support, fiance' and I had a heart to heart and he apologized, all is well. He asked what he could do to help too.

Abi and ff, so glad to hear the storm wasn't as bad as predicted. Now, let's hope Jose doesn't amount to much.

FF, I have yet to try egg foo young, I love that stuff and have never made it.

Tony, I sure hope that maybe his comment was just the kick in the butt that I needed. I can try and get some good out of this deal and for the most part he is a very caring person, otherwise I wouldn't have hung around for almost 3 years. I guess this might just be what "normal" couples go through except this time I am learning to communicate which didn't happen with marriage #1.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #534
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i know everyone looks at things differently, and we each have to deal with the psychology of our weight issues in our own way, but i tend to look at my weight problem as a self-inflicted wound...

for me, it wasn't a lifelong issue - i was in good shape until about age 30 and then let my poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyle result in almost a 100 pound gain over 15-20 years...it adversely impacted my health as i now take blood pressure and blood sugar medication...i worked too much, ate too many calories and sat around too much and i needed to make a change or accept an early death along with whatever insults someone might be insensitive enough to hurl at me...

i feel better after losing over 60 pounds from my high, but i still have over 30 to shed and i won't feel free from this until i do...my motivation has been stalled for several months and i have been maintaining - which is a victory of sorts over my past behavior, but i am feeling motivated again to lose these last 30+ pounds!...

i think the goal for everyone here is to become more fit, healthier, and to feel good about the image we see when we look in the mirror...i can imagine it is difficult for the significant others of overweight folks like us - they love us and want to be supportive, but also know that we are hurting ourselves every day we put off losing weight...plus, they can't know how difficult it is if they've never had to do it...

let's all have a great day and take another step toward a healthier, happier future!

Last edited by tony8; 08-29-2011 at 07:15 AM..
Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #535

no one ever made me lose weight (after i moved out, i.e.)

no cajoling or tactless comments from friends, family or tactful warnings from Drs. ever got the weight loss ball rolling...UNLESS I myself felt ready to make the change. Right now, i am enjoying a wedge of LC (Laughing Cow)garlic herb cheese spread over 4 celery sticks. very delicious. Trying to eat it slowly. After almost 1 & 1/2 yrs since re-induction I am still gobbling down my food faster than a speeding bullet. I suppose I will still be working on that one till the day they lower me into the earth. So looking forward to tonight's porterhouse with a side of ....DREAMFIELDS. i am also gonna Ronco that turkey breast. Between the meatloaf which i sliced and portioned out, and the turkey, i will not need to buy any food for the rest of the week, through the weekend. FF
Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #536
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

so, ff, i'm sure you've said it here before, but what were the factors that contributed to getting you "ready to make the change?"...it might benefit all of us to hear about that if you can share it...thx
Old 08-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #537

it happened quite suddenly 4/1/10.

i was on the way to work thinking which 3 pastries i should get at the coffee truck. All of a sudden I thought: "this must stop now" only i thought out loud, and the driver hit his brakes. i assured him all was well, and he got me to my destination. At which time I did the hardest thing I ever had to do (since being forced from my home world that is), I bypassed the coffee truck. I walked upstairs, logged on to lcf and created BLITZ I. I never looked back. It was as easy as that. FF
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #538
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff - you are awesome! And that's why you are our fearless leader!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #539

yes, i AM awesome. I AM fearless.

except at the dentist. FF
Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #540

please check out the lc lymrick thread in the Lounge.

And please contribute. LCman & yours truly are carrying the load. And while u are there, check out the rest of my drivel as well. FF
Closed Thread