Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
I have no clue what drove me - I've been in a very good "place" lately. I just went nuts.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
well, gibby...i am very stressed...for too many reasons to discuss.

i am also extremely hungry, irrepressibly hungry, LENINGRAD 1942 hungry. i had 2 servings of lc starch today. i dare not take a 3rd. If the forbidden food was in the house, I would devour it. If i was home right now, i would dial out for all the baddies. However, just discussing this, i realize i do not dare do that. When i get home, after the gym, and those feelings are still with me, i will have a very large ATKINS-ized meal, either Chinese, or the diner. I REFUSE to give in to the dark side. I know how yummy all the high carb stuff is. But once having eaten it, it will not make things better. Better 2 large orders of ribs, and a house special soup, than M&Ms, ice cream, and all the rest. So, when u are feeling out of sorts, go for the zero carb stuff. My office is always open for consultation. FF
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey marilee, i am very proud of you for posting - it represents a huge step when you can do that rather than isolate yourself...as you know, i have had to confess many times since you've known me and it is that commitment to accountability to you guys that has literally saved me from falling further...

i don't understand what causes our slips any more than you or ff do - i think we're just human and sometimes we want what we want and being able to have it makes us feel like we DO have control...

don't beat yourself up - you did not commit a sin and you didn't hurt anyone - not even yourself - you simply had a day or two or a few where you ate like we all used to eat...none of it is poisonous or dangerous - no big deal!...the weight will come off again - you're within sight of the 200s again, so just get back on the horse, girlie!...we love you and are here for you like you have always been here for us...

as for you, ff, if you go for the cookies i'm comin to brooklyn!... :-)

today:
b: skipped
l: hb egg
d: some kind of chicken

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 08-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Tony.

ff-I love Chinese food but avoid it like the plague, assuming it isn't LC friendly, and I don't mean the rice and noodles - I know they put cornstarch in their sauces. I know to ask it to be made with out sugar....all of this disertation to ask what you get and how you ask them to make it.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #305

i AM having chinese tonight.

2 large orders of ribs, no bbq sauce. i went directly home and lay down. i was out like a light. i keep forgetting, in my zeal and motivation, that my body is 60. So, tonight is battery recharging. There was actually no chance that i was going to eat off plan tonight. It was about thinking it through, and giving it time. I do not know if i will eat both orders of ribs. i will see how i feel after 30 minutes of the 1st order. Well, it just arrived. bon appetit a moi. FF
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, loved your expression "I refuse to give in to the dark side " and great advice for us all to just go with the zero carb stuff when we get in those out of control moods.

Tony, you always have a way of giving the best pep talks when we mess up - thanks!

Marilee, I have "gone nuts" too so many times. It always depresses me. Know you are back on track today and feeling good about it.

I skipped breakfast and lunch yesterday. Had several cups of coffee with cream, a tablespoon of coconut oil in one of the cups of coffee, several bottles of water, and for dinner had something new. When I was picking up some cube steaks the other day I saw this pack of meat labled "pub style lean shaved steak". I cooked it up last night with a little garlic salt and it was delicious. I can imagine a little cheese melted over it like a breadless Pilly Steak sandwich. Will look for it again.

This will be an afternoon and evening off today as one of my sisters will take over with Mom at 11. Looking forward to a little down time. Maybe get into a Vince Flynn book.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Abigale; 08-04-2011 at 12:55 AM..
Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #307

apart from the ribs, when i do order chinese food...

my mantra is: no cornstarch, no flour, no sugar. i stick with one or two places where i have made myself and my needs known. If they want your money, they will do it YOUR way. I did, in fact, eat both orders of ribs last night. There were mostly bone. Not too much meat or fat on those bones. The pig must have been working out before the end came. FF
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, happy they slaughtered you a "fit" pig...wonder how they caught him?...

abi, i give good pep talks cuz i'm so imperfect and in need of them myself, so often :-) i love shaved steak - i usually saute` some peppers and onions and mushrooms and then melt some provolone on the whole mess...

i'll tell ya something i have learned about my cheating...there have been times i was absolutely convinced that i needed a cookie - been ready to eat one after struggling with the decision - gotten side-tracked by some watermelon sitting on the counter - eaten several chunks of that enjoying its sweetness and filling fiber with some water - and then realized i had no interest in the cookie anymore...

it's weird but that happened by accident and i never would have thought that substituting watermelon for a cookie would have been even possible...i don't know if it would work for anyone else, but next time you crave something sweet, try something sweet and natural like a low glycemic index, fiber-y piece of fruit and some water...sometimes it's just about having a healthier choice handy...and if not, enjoy the cookie! :-)
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #309

do i love cookies!!!

many is the time i have devoured whole packages of the fig newtons, all sorts of sandwich cookies. and the more expensive bakery cookies by the lb. AND YET... when i am at my LC BAKERY, I am perfectly content with 1 lc sesame cookie accompanied with my lc gelato. It is where my head is.I am working on the 100 lb by the end of the year challenge. But we have to put our heads where they need to be. We cannot wait for nature to do it for us...because she won't. I am going to another diner tonight...the Mirage. I guarantee that before i pick up the menu, i will know precisely what i will have. I moved my slivered almonds to the freezer at work.. i must remember to take some with me(salad garnish...about 1/2 oz). today is supposed to be weigh-in day. however, some of the previous WW members have not backed up their verbal commitments with $$$. So, if we do not get at least 15 paying customers, there will be no AT WORK WW. However, i work in a hospital. i will have no problem finding a scale. FF
Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! Well, down 1.2 pounds from yesterday. Still a ways to go to hit my lowest, but I'm on track.

Here are today's eats:

B-3 eggs scrambled with cheddar cheese
S-strawberries
L-chicken leg (thigh and drumstick), a little cheese
S-if needed, strawberries
D-large salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions) with ranch dressing and a bacon/cheddar steak burger

Yum!

Thank you all for your encouragement and non-judmental support. It is much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Marilee, good girl for getting back on track, and your menu today looks delish!
You'll melt off those lbs, just stay the course!!!

Who knows why we fall off the wagon? I just don't know. Maybe there's the underlying feeling of missing a certain food(s) that make us feel better...or help with stressful moments. Sometime I just plain MISS SOMETHING THAT I HAVEN'T HAD IN A WHILE, for me, it's crackers like Triscuits. I try to limit an indulgence to 1) a one-time deal and not all day long or the whole box or for days on end)..and 2) keep the indulgence categorized as just that, an indulgence and not a "binge."

Abi - the shaved steak sounds lovely, maybe I'll give that a try this weekend.

FF - good job on the Chinese as there are so many hidden bad items in this type of cooking!

Tony - I love the blueberries, my palate accepts those plain and that is sweet enough for me now. My Rosedale diet forbids the watermelon for the sugar spikes (insulin/leptin sensitivity blah blah blah) but nothing better than a watermelon at a party that has been injected with VODKA, yah vol!

Vicki, wow you have got a great collection of exercise media. I just don't have the room available in front of my TV to give it a go without shifting around a huge coffee table!

Have a good one everybody, I am walking today at lunchtime and then tonight is a toning class and then a Zumba class over in Exeter at the Ioka...
Nancy
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #312

no WW at work yet...ergo no scale. WHAT, ME WORRY?

had a great but quick lunch-egg salad on 1/2 lc pita...no salt added. the greatest egg salad to date. Got to run. one of my colleagues is singing gospel out in the courtyard. i would not dare miss it. FF
Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #313

going to the MIRAGE diner this evening.

I do not recall ever being there weekday evenings, except for Friday nights, and that was many years ago. So, i am deliberating between the chicken/rib combo (w/o bbq sauce), broiled salmon, baby back ribs (again w/o bbq sauce), steak, or 3 bacon cheeseburgers(2 won't do). i have about 1/2 oz slivered almonds in a small sandwich bag as a garnish for the salad (Caesar on the side). I will be eating everything on the plate, as i will be walking home. i do not wish to carry food in this heat. I am leaving very little to chance, these days. Some issues which stressed me out, were resolved (not to my satisfaction). However, i surrendered to necessity, and I now feel liberated, and i am able to exhale. FF
Old 08-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, i LOVE your menu today!...awesome!

nancy, good to see you...i agree with you about the indulgences - i think that is a completely healthy approach...too bad about the watermelon...i'll have an extra chunk for ya ;-)

ff, make sure to let us know what you chose off the menu...i'm thinking you're gonna choose the chicken/rib combo...btw, i've been walking past a bag of famous amos chocolate chip cookies sitting on the kitchen table...certainly testing my will power...lol...

today:
b: handful of blueberries
l: skipped
s: about 1/2 cup of movie popcorn (there's my confession) not even that good
d: 4 oz. steak tips and green beans
Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #315

HAPPY FEET send their love.

i put the old/new sneakers to the test. I walked home from the diner. I shaved off 3 minutes from the expected 50. It used to take me an hour not too long ago. I was able to go from a SCHLEPstep to a PEPstep. No pain or pinching to the soles of my feet or the little piggies either. Tony, u would have won the bet. I did get the chicken/rib combo. The odd thing is that I did NOT eat everything on the plate. i had the cup of soup (w/o noodles), the salad (1 T Caesar dressing), and 1 veggie (escarole with mushrooms-about 1/2 cup)most of the chicken, and all the ribs, and the broccoli, are in my fridge. i will have the chicken for bkfst, and the ribs (with my own bbq sauce)when i get home from the gym tomorrow evening. That comes out to about $7.00 a meal. The old troll hasn't lost his touch. FF
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
FF, happy to hear your feet can do the PEPstep without hurting. That has got to help motivate you to keep on walking! Also to not eat everything on your plate - I can't remember the last time I was able to do that! Glad some of the issues that were stressing you out are better now. Stress is not good for us.

Hey Nancy! I liked that shaved steak so much I bought another 2 packs yesterday and had it again for dinner with a salad and and oz of horseradish cheese!

Marilee, happy you were down 1.2 pounds. Your meals did sound very good yesterday.

Tony, peppers, onions and provolone cheese would really make that shaved steak taste like a Philly steak. Will have to keep that in mind! Love the smell of movie popcorn but don't think it would taste as good as I remember either. What movie did you go to see?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #317

i totalled it before i went to bed.

at a little after 11 pm, i was ravenously hungry. i ate the chicken, and after shmooshing some WF BBQ sauce on the ribs, i nuked them for 3 minutes. I thought they would be tough (being twice cooked), but they were tender and yummy. I am not sorry. Especially, since it was zero carb. If that is to be the pattern, so be it. Tonight is the gym, and tomorrow is the boardwalk walk AND the gym. FF
Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF!!!!!

Down another 1.1 pounds

Nancy, I'm so jealous of you and your ability to do Zumba....I signed up for a class but was physically unable to do it (thank goodness they returned my money).

I've not seen shaved steak in my grocery store...what department is it in? I'd like to try it with some cheese and onions and peppers!

Hi Abi!!!!!!

Here's today eats:

B-3 eggs scrambled in butter with grated cheddar cheese
S-1/2 an apple
L-large lettuce salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, chopped chicken breast and ranch dressing
S-1/2 an apple
D-Large cheese burger wrapped in a lettuce leaf with a little lc catsup, onion, pickle and tomato

That should do it!

Hey, Vicki, where are you??????

Marilee
Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #319

good for u gibby.

i am sailing by scale-less for a while. when i DO get back on the scale. perhaps i will have a pleasant surprise. so looking forward to the weekend. FF
Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff-I'm sure you will have good news on the scale....
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Hi folks, happy Friday!

I have a new low, 196.5

I SO enjoyed my zumba toning and then zumba class last night! The venue is an old theatre with the seats taken out, and wood floor installed, darkened with flashing disco lights, great sound system, huge fans all over the place and the instructor is one hot tamale Colombian gal, oh boy. You can zumba on the stage with the instructor or get on the main floor. There was about 35 people there. And this place also has cardio dance classes, boot camp classes, and then there is offsite ZUMBA classes on the BEACH!!! Wowee!

Marilee, congrats on the loss again! Great menu today also! Looks like you are back on track. Yanno, it wouldn't hurt ya to have some avocado if you like that...1/4 to 1/2 of one, great mouthfeel, but the good fat will make you feel satisfied! A few walnuts (less than 1/4C) around mid-late afternoon...that'll refuel and take away hunger pangs too.

Tony - well, now I've got watermelon on the mind but I won't buy any.....

FF - well, you are starting to feel the benefits of your walking & gym work and it will keep on getting better for you! Congrats on that!!!

Abi, yum on the shaved steak, it's usually right where the beef is but I think there is a boxed version (I would not buy that however as it is full of additives, and additives are not good in my book).

So Today:
B: Eggbeaters omelet with some spinach & sauteed mushrooms
S: 1/4C blueberries
L: salad from home with 3 oz roast pork in it, oil & balsamic
S: a few walnuts
D: steak (probably 1/2 of one, I am into protein limits), salad, low glyc veg.
Lunchtime walk...

Have a good one everybody,
Nancy
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, well, well...we have a motivated little harem here...i'm liking this!... :-)

ff, when i read your first post, i was wondering if you might have to raid the fridge before bed - all that walking was sure to get your hunger engine revved up...no worries - you ate well and are getting more muscle mass and fit each day...waaaaaay to go!

marilee, i'm so proud of you for turning things around so quickly!...wow!...another great menu too...the shaved steak is in our meat case with other meats...the butcher will shave steak for you if you ask...

nancy!!!...congratulations!...you are doing great - nh is getting lighter by the moment!!!...hmmm, hot columbian girl, huh?...

feeling a little bloated today - don't know why, but i'm gonna drink lots of water to try to flush it out...going to a friend's for a bbq tonight...should be easy staying lc...skipped breakfast again by accident...i wish i was hungrier in the morning...

abi, i took 2 of my sons to see cowboys and aliens...it was fun - probably not a movie most women would like - at least not the ones in my house, but we enjoyed it...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i have a question for the group today...this is the only forum/thread/woe website i've ever participated in so i don't have too much experience, so my question is this: why do you think we seem to attract a bunch of new folks at the start of each blitz and then lose almost all of them within a few weeks?...

we've had a bunch of nice people stop in excitedly, post, and then <poof>!...gone...is there something we're doing wrong?...is this just what normally happens?...i'd love to hear anyone's thoughts...
Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
I've been enjoying reading your posts. I haven't posted; my inability to be consistent is making me nuts. I'm going to the library to check out intuitive eating that vicki was mentioning. Need a better understanding of my binging issues. There's got to be a better way to deal with stress.
I've I find out anything of value, I'll pass it along. Take Care!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
tony...I've been a member of groups a couple of times, and yes, that seems to be the norm.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #326
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Testing an Ipad2 at Apple store, way cool.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
i have a question for the group today...this is the only forum/thread/woe website i've ever participated in so i don't have too much experience, so my question is this: why do you think we seem to attract a bunch of new folks at the start of each blitz and then lose almost all of them within a few weeks?...

we've had a bunch of nice people stop in excitedly, post, and then <poof>!...gone...is there something we're doing wrong?...is this just what normally happens?...i'd love to hear anyone's thoughts...

It's so weird you said that - I was thinking the same thing this morning..."great minds...." and all that.

I don't have an answer. Either they find another group that is meeting their needs or they've fallen off the wagon, or......

Nancy - good job on the new number That always feels so good. Yes, I love avocado....I go grocery shopping Saturday mornings so I've been eating what's in the fridge. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I try to stay away from nuts - I over do it whenever they are in the house.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #328

i also noticed that trend at WW as well.

on the 1st day of our recent 17 week session, there were over 30 people registering, and paying up. Now they cannot get 15 paying customers. Also, these same gung ho members stopped coming to meetings that they already paid for. I suppose some people choose not to post, when their efforts were less than admirable. THAT IS WHEN WE NEED TO POST EVEN MORE FREQUENTLY. How can we break the bad habits for good, if we do not depend on one another for support and advice?It is certain that if i did not stay in the loop with y'all, and the rest of LCF, it is a foregone conclusion that i would have climbed back up to the 372.8 (plus more)whence I started at the beg. of BLITZ 1. I am enjoying a wonderful lunch: 1 oz nova lox (wild, not farm raised)with a little cream cheese, SWISS KNIGHT gruyere wedge, and salad fixins inside 2 slices lc toast(a few cuke slices on the side). The former is punctuated by 3 naked dogs and mustard with a few pickle slices. tonight i am postponing dinner till at least 9pm (bacon cheeseburgers). FF
Old 08-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Hi Everyone! I know it's been a while since posting here but I've just read the past 50 or so posts and wow can I relate to some of this stuff going on.

Things have been pretty tough but I am back on track for 2 days now. I am calling it a small victory. July was a shocker of a month all together and I got sick and had too many visitors and just made too many excuses to eat badly.

I feel that August is going to be 'me' month. I am already feeling it as I am choosing to stay in on a friday night just to regroup and focus on myself. It is a nice feeling.

Sounds like people are back on track here too.

Just so you know, I am on here most days reading but I only post when I feel I have something to contribute. Just reading this thread is usually enough to inspire something in me.

Anyway I hope you are all having a good Friday and looking forward to the weekend. I plan on being good!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Bec! You don't need to have to say anything - just say "hi"....we miss you.
Closed Thread