Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Be careful, ff, pretty soon you'll be walking upstream!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Brittany80
Stats: 252/241.4/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 2/2011-Really counting 3/2011
Crying around....

I feel like I am always in these forums crying around, but I just cant find peace with myself. I am trying sooooo hard and have made huge changes. The scale is just hanging out at the same number.....I want to look at my health and all that GOOD stuff but I am not there. I am in that "why bother" frame of mind..... Feels awful.....I feel like my body isnt working....
Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Brittany, I noticed you are doing Atkins. Are you doing induction - what phase are you in? Could you post some of your menus so we can see if there is something hidden?

We are here for you!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #244
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i feel for u Brittany.

i hope u are keeping DANDR within arm's reach. He(Dr. Atkins) always has the answers. I sometimes re-read the whole book, as if i had never read it before. It always fills me with inspiration & new hope. it is common to lose passion after one has been on any plan for a while. also, re-read especially the chapter on stalls/plateaus.I just got past a more than 3 month plateau-it was my thyroid. GIVE IT TIME. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 04-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, where are you?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #246
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Guthrie1134
Stats: 311/287/190
Start Date: February 2011

Hi everyone...new to lc but went to the salvation army and found the Atkins book and have made it one week with a 6 pound loss. Hoping when I weigh Friday morning ( after my TOM ending) I will see some weight loss. Have a long journey ahead of me. Really enjoy reading these threads. Very encouraging to me.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie1134 View Post
Hi everyone...new to lc but went to the salvation army and found the Atkins book and have made it one week with a 6 pound loss. Hoping when I weigh Friday morning ( after my TOM ending) I will see some weight loss. Have a long journey ahead of me. Really enjoy reading these threads. Very encouraging to me.
Hi Guthrie Welcome to the group We are just a group of people trying to get healthy and get our weight under control. You are more than welcome to join us.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #248

welcome to the collective, Guthrie

we bring order to chaos. RESISTANCE IS possible, but undesirable. Stay awhile. We will shrink on you(heh heh heh)Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Donna, An egg fast is 3 days of primarily eggs in any form...boiled, scrambled, fried, egg creams, etc. I love to do those from time to time and I usually do an egg & meat fast so I can incorporate some bacon or some form of meat with it. No veggies, no starches, just eggs and fat and maybe some meat. It's surprisingly easy to do.

Yay Lizzie! You're on your way....I'll celebrate a pound down anytime!

2f2f, I'm with Marilee on this...you'll see those flucuations alot, .5 pounds one way or the other is no biggie...stay on plan and you'll reach your goal!

Brittany don't be discouraged...it does take time!!! I know it's hard focusing on the other benefits when the weight loss doesn't seem to be there....but if you keep with it you WILL see the loss!! Everyone here has great advice....seriously!

Welcome Guthrie We have a fabulous little family here and we love to have fun!

FF, you are SOOOOO funny!!! You're always humerous, but today you're seriously on a roll....thanks for the chuckles!

Tony.....where are you???? You're harem misses you!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
here i am!

hey girls, hope you missed me!...

guthrie...tell us a little about yourself...this is quite a collection of characters in here and the door is always wide open...

nancy, i'll be thinking good thoughts for you tomorrow...you're going in fit and healthy...you'll be fine and we'll be waiting for you...

tammy is our resident "egg fast" expert!...anything you ever wanted to know about eggs...

what a CRAZY day...but i ate well...ff, hope you're sitting down, but i had eaten so little all day - took my daughter out to run some errands tonight and got home after 9 - thought i was gonna stick to curfew, but there were broiled steaks on the stovetop staring at me and.....i caved and ate...it's the first time i've eaten after 9 p.m. in over a month...i finished up by 10 p.m...technically i allow myself 2 nights a week where i do not have to stick to curfew, so i was well within my rules, but i still feel a bit guilty :blush:

happy to see so many doing well...for those few getting a bit discouraged, i like marilee's suggestion that you keep a food log and post your menus and i bet we can figure out what's causing the stall...because we've ALL been there

unless, of course, it's your thyroid - i know nothing about that, but my partner in crime, ff, does, so he might be able to help there...

hey ff, it's my turn to keep the harem occupied again tonight...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #251
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donna D. in NJ
Stats: 205/190/150
Start Date: Feb. 11, 2011
First of all, just want to say thanks to everyone for the advice and words of encouragement.

Marilee: My menu is pretty varied, and I know I am not eating "clean" but I think I'm still technically on plan. Today I had: 2 coffees with 1 1/2 packs of splenda (with fiber) and 2 TBL HWC, 3 egg omelette with 1 sausage patty and 1 oz. Cheddar. Small ceasar salad, no croutons, chicken wings fried in canola oil with frank's redhot and marries blue cheese. That's it. I calculated about 15 carbs.

I know I should probably clean it up, getting rid of the dressings, but I HATE eating bland and I'm afraid if I hate it, I won't stick to it.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Hi Tony!

Donna, I think your menu looks good....maybe the salad dressing is a little much? Clean eating does NOT have to be bland!! I will say that I started off very much like you and lost a lot really quickly and the last few weeks I've been batting around the same 2 pounds. Frustrating? Yes. BUT.....here's what I know for sure: If I stop now I WILL gain back the weight I've lost (plus some). If I stick with it I will continue to feel better and eventually I WILL reach my goal. If I stop NOW....one year from today I will wish that I'd kept it up. Keep doing what you're doing...you'll be good.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Brittany, I noticed you are doing Atkins. Are you doing induction - what phase are you in? Could you post some of your menus so we can see if there is something hidden?

We are here for you!
Thank you I will start posting menus if this weeks weigh in continues to be a no loss. I am going to try and stay off the scale for the next couple days.I havent strayed from induction yet as it seems to not be moving along. I spent the last two weeks in the main low carb lobby posting menus. From this I have given up diet coke, artificial sweeteners, less cheese, have been drinking tons of water, and reduced some vegetables. I am positive I am under 20 carbs a day and this week I have started reducing calories......I know this isnt easy but I also enjoyed this WOE the first time becaus it seemed so easy as far as what I could eat and what I couldnt.

I restarted true induction 3 weeks ago and I am only down 3 pounds, which I lost the first week. I have been stalled since then.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

protein shake

I have been using these protein shakes as meal replacements since Monday. Let me know what you think of the ingredients. They have 5 carbs and 3 fiber and 30grams of protein. My thought is this reduces my calories. When I drink them I dont feel hungry for hours. I have one for breakfast and one for lunch.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Premier Nutrition Protein Blend (Milk Protein [Milk Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate], Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Sunflower Oil, Fructooligosaccharide, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Datem, Magnesium Phosphate, Sucralose, Salt, Carrageenan, Acesulfame Potassium, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Zinc Amino Acid, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Biotin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Phytonadione (Vitamin K), Potassium Iodide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Chromium Chloride, Copper Amino Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Manganese Sulfate.
Allergy Information: Contains Milk.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Yikes, it's Thursday D-Day! Sitting here with no makeup on and I can't even put any stuff in my hair to look halfway decent. Hubby is enjoying a grand cup of coffee and it's NADA for me. Well, I should drop a pound or two over the next day or so!
I did an hour cardio last night (30 min ellip, 30 min treadmill) and I'm feeling good. Departing the house at 7:30, Looking forward to the I.V. and the happy juice, will miss my hubby and doggies....talk to y'all in a day or so when I'm up to it.

Stick to your plans, avoid the carbage, drink plenty of water and take care!
Nancy
Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #256
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany80 View Post
I have been using these protein shakes as meal replacements since Monday. Let me know what you think of the ingredients. They have 5 carbs and 3 fiber and 30grams of protein. My thought is this reduces my calories. When I drink them I dont feel hungry for hours. I have one for breakfast and one for lunch.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Premier Nutrition Protein Blend (Milk Protein [Milk Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate], Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Sunflower Oil, Fructooligosaccharide, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum, Datem, Magnesium Phosphate, Sucralose, Salt, Carrageenan, Acesulfame Potassium, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Zinc Amino Acid, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Biotin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Phytonadione (Vitamin K), Potassium Iodide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Chromium Chloride, Copper Amino Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Manganese Sulfate.
It depends on who you ask. Some say the fewer the ingredients the better. Also, those that don't want to ingest whey or splenda will have their opinions as well. Probably not much help, what brand is it??
Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
we bring order to chaos. RESISTANCE IS possible, but undesirable. Stay awhile. We will shrink on you(heh heh heh)Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
HA!!!! Yes we will!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. in NJ View Post
First of all, just want to say thanks to everyone for the advice and words of encouragement.

Marilee: My menu is pretty varied, and I know I am not eating "clean" but I think I'm still technically on plan. Today I had: 2 coffees with 1 1/2 packs of splenda (with fiber) and 2 TBL HWC, 3 egg omelette with 1 sausage patty and 1 oz. Cheddar. Small ceasar salad, no croutons, chicken wings fried in canola oil with frank's redhot and marries blue cheese. That's it. I calculated about 15 carbs.

I know I should probably clean it up, getting rid of the dressings, but I HATE eating bland and I'm afraid if I hate it, I won't stick to it.

Donna, this looks fine. Instead of the dressing, I like to user oil and vinegar for your salad - there isn't any hidden sugar in that. Olive oil, if you like it, is particulary good for us! I'm not big on lemon, but you could use lemon juice instead of vinegar. For dipping, make your own....get some sour cream and add blue cheese to it and muck it up.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE_FREE_NH View Post
Yikes, it's Thursday D-Day! Sitting here with no makeup on and I can't even put any stuff in my hair to look halfway decent. Hubby is enjoying a grand cup of coffee and it's NADA for me. Well, I should drop a pound or two over the next day or so!
I did an hour cardio last night (30 min ellip, 30 min treadmill) and I'm feeling good. Departing the house at 7:30, Looking forward to the I.V. and the happy juice, will miss my hubby and doggies....talk to y'all in a day or so when I'm up to it.

Stick to your plans, avoid the carbage, drink plenty of water and take care!
Nancy
I'll be praying for you Nancy!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany80 View Post

Wow! look at all the ingredients. I wish I could help, but I am not a shake person. I like food.....Maybe someone else can.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #261

i took today off from work...i'm "sick"

i am waiting for the temp to climb. Then I am going for a long, long, long walk. If I stay home, the Gods know what will happen. I just finished a 2 egg egg salad, with fresh cracked pepper. I finished it off with 2 thin slices of muenster (monster)cheese. That did the trick. I just put a Faygo choc soda in the freezer. But, I will have that when I get home. Today is a caffeine free day for me. The reason? None at all. I just decided it as I am babbling. Nancy, kudos on the exercise. I know we shall be hearing from u shortly. Tony...ordinarily, I would, on my home world, strip u of all your assets, and send u to a labor camp for breaking curfew. BUT...i could not resist steak myself. So, u are off the hook. Since I began 9PM curfew 3/9/11, I broke it 3 times. But that is not a bad record. If we get too rigid, we will blow the whole thing. I found, quite recently, that if I have a snack right before 9pm, it gets me thru the night w/o a problem..USUALLY. Brittany, good luck with the protein shakes. I used to drink at least 3 at once. So, I need something a bit more solid to stick to those fat ribs of mine. Love & Profits:FLATFERENGHI
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Good morning everyone. I just wanted to check in and say hi. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #263
Junior LCF Member

Tammy and Marilee: thanks for the suggestions. Tammy, I totally agree that to stop now would totally be silly and I WILL NOT GIVE UP! While the scale is trying to bring me down, there are other good things happening:

1. Shopped for a new pair of pant yesterday on the Regular Sized side of Fashion Bug!!! Bought a 14 instead of an 18w!!! Yippee

2. Everyone I see notices. They think I've lost more than I actually have.

3. I fart less (hubby is quite grateful)!

4. Sorry for the gruesome details, but after doing some research, I believe I have a yeast allergy. The white coating on my tongue, and a funky vinegar BO is gone.

So, these things have to keep me going and darn the scale.

Brittany: I have found that when I eat things that are full of artificial ingredients, I come right out of ketosis. Gave up Atkins bars for example and went from "trace" to "moderate" in just 3 days. Hope my post about ignoring the scale for a while helps you.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys, good to see everyone bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning!...

nancy, we're all pullin' for ya, kid...while you're under anesthesia, try to dream of pork rinds... :-) see ya soon!...

ff, thanks for the pardon - better keep 'em handy as we all know i am a bit incorrigible...btw, i usually get home late and end up eating until pretty darn close to 9...

to the current folks who may be struggling a bit (as we all do)...take this for what it is worth, but in my opinion, it is not just about counting carbs, it is also about keeping an eye on your caloric intake...i studied quite a bit on this and found that a lot of the mystery of losing weight is simple mathematics...

the first step is to find out how many calories it takes to maintain your current body weight - there are calorie requirement calculators all over the web - for me it is about 2300 per day...then i learned how many calories equal 1 lb. and that number is 3500, so if i reduce my calorie intake to 500 calories per day less than i need to maintain my weight 2300-500=1800, i will lose 1 lb. per week (500 calories/day x 7 days = 3500 for the week = 1 lb)...it really is that simple...

whether i eat carbs or meat or cheese or cookies, etc. - at my current weight, i will lose 1 lb. per week if i eat 1800 calories per day...as i weigh less and less, that "required calorie" number gets smaller, so if i keep eating 1800 calories per day, my rate of loss will slow down...if i want to keep it at 1 lb. per week, then i have to reduce my caloric intake below the 1800...make sense?

now eating low carb is healthy for those of us who are overweight for many reasons, like keeping our blood sugar in check, reducing the amount of insulin running around our systems, etc...but i do not restrict healthy carbs like low-glycemic, fiber-rich fruits, or non-starchy veggies, or even the occasional high-fiber whole grain (i do limit this quite a bit though)...why?...because these foods and their vitamins are essential for good health...i watch the number of calories much more closely than i watch every gram of carbs i eat...

as a result, we will lose weight at a moderate, steady, slower pace, but our health will improve dramatically over time...and that is the real goal...there is no need to ingest highly processed foods, sugar etc. for good health - so i come as close to possible as completely eliminating them...but i do not restrict myself from cutting up a cantaloupe or strawberries, etc and enjoying them from time to time without guilt...

so, i know for me and maybe for you too, worrying about the pace of your losses can be debilitating and counter-productive...but also, we are not gonna lose weight eating 2500 calories a day even if those calories contain zero carbs - our bodies just don't work that way...

i was frustrated several times last year until i started to look at how many calories i was eating, and then being honest with myself about the fact that i was still eating way more than i needed to maintain a healthy body...

so my advice is, don't get discouraged, get real, and take an honest look at your portions and your total caloric intake for each day, and do not expect to lose an ounce if you take in as many calories as it takes to maintain your current weight...

love you guys!

Last edited by tony8; 04-14-2011 at 10:10 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #265
Junior LCF Member

Tony....ummmm...looks like you put it all in a nutshell right there.

Gonna check out my caloric needs vs. caloric intake....research, research, research.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

these are by no means the only ones around, but these links will help you calculate what you need and what you're eating...the rest is up to each of us! :-)

Tool: Calorie calculator - MayoClinic.com

The Calorie Counter
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Man, I can't believe how many pages there are to catch up with just since the start of the spring blitz!

I am happy to say that, since throwing my diet away last month, I broke my 5-month stall. My weight has averaged two pounds lower than it was during the stall. I think things are going well. I started a meditation practice, which is benefiting me a lot. I threw out my exercise schedule, too, and perversely enough am getting more exercise -- just different sorts.

Whether we like to think of it that way or not, diets are still a form of disordered eating -- one you do toward a positive goal, but still not something that is natural or sustainable lifelong. Rigid exercise schedules are just as unnatural. Maybe after 3 years, my body just felt a need to start finding the ways it was going to build/maintain health for a lifetime. I still expect to continue losing weight until I reach a healthy weight, but I expect to be looking more to inner guidance and less to external "shoulds" to find the way there.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Hi Guys! Just checking in from Downunder!! All is well here. I had a bite of pasta last night (like literally 1 strand), basically just to shut my friend up. But I don't care. I think since being away my carb count has been lower than ever prob around 15g per day (even including a bite of pasta!).

I am still down the same 1 pound as the beginning of the week but cannot complain. I really thought I'd gain 10 pounds this holiday but I am nearly a week in and down 1 so I'd say it'd be near impossible to gain 10 pounds in the next two weeks.

I am so motivated right now but my sister just arrived this morning and she loves trying to sabotage me so I just have to extra strong now and keep up this great work!

It is easier being in my family home it's not like i'm in some foreign land avoiding all these exotic foods. I will be heading to thailand in one week though so that'll be a whole new adventure.

Keep up the great work guys, I am loving reading these posts, it's really helping to keep me motivated.

Bec
Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #269

well, it was not as long a walk as i wouild have wished.

but a little is still better than none at all. I did stay caffeine free. Today, back to abnormal. What i do is fill the container (small)with 99 % decaf & 1& french vanilla for the taste, then I mix it with the office coffee. This will enable me to have another one later in the day, if i feel like it. Usually, on weekends. My choc soda is also caffeine free. So, that is how the troll limits his caffeine intake. FF
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Hello friends!
Dropping by to say hello. This thread is really hoppin'! Reading a few pages of posts I see it's still a great, supportive bunch of folks. Love it!

Still following a primarily Paleo diet. I'm feeling pretty good not having dairy, which I always ate/drank way too much of while doing LC previously. I did finally let myself get on the scale and it is moving in the desired direction. I just have to make sure I don't become scale obsessed.

Much love to the Men-folk! FF and tony...you are good people. It's hard work keeping the harem happy!

LCShadows...good to see you! Your plan sounds very healthy. Mentally.

Donna D. in NJ....my sister had issues with yeast and had great results following an anti-candida diet (which is basically LC, just with a few tweaks) There are some really helpful
threads under the Health Support Groups heading. It's under Candida and Yeast Support.

B: chicken breast cooked in coconut oil
L: more chicken brst and some carrots
S: walnuts, maybe some berries
D: Some cheap cut of Beef and raw Broc

Exercise: callanetics. LOVE Callanetics! Unbelievably effective.

Have a great weekend!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Closed Thread