Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #811
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
NCGirl - I've had good success on hcg....I've lost 34 pounds since January 1 and finally got below 300, which I wasn't able to do on ANY eating plan for the past 6 years.

Kbeth - NO IT ISN'T LC

Thanks for everyones support. Better get to work.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #812
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Kbeth, can't say I still have the skill until I see the finishencd result. The style looked like it would hide a multitude of sins and I hate going from store to store shopping for something that is flattering. Hense I am giving this a shot. If it doesn't work I still have a week to find something else.

ncgirl, I feel your pain. I have a sister that has that Andee McDowell - Ali McGraw look. She has always been very slim too.

FF, I think somewhere in the archives I still have the album "My Name is Barbra." Used to play that Barbra Streisand album over and over. Growing up our record player was always in the shop so we never bought too many 45's. One tragic event happened when someone put "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"on the radiator and it warped. lol

Marilee, you are having such great success on the HCG !
Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #813
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks for asking about my dad. He is in rehab to learn to use a specially designed walker and to gain strength. But, before he can go home, he will leave the rehab unit early next week and then go to a Skilled unit at a local hospital for further strength building.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #814
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
got another double order of chicken (teriyaki style)

i will count it as 3 grams as i am sure the sauce is not 100% carb free. however, i am eating it very slowly, so that perhaps i will some left over for Monday breakfast. i do not believe slow eating and portion control will ever come naturally to me. i must always focus.with the chicken, i had a very small salad with a packet of mayo and i sprinked black pepper over it(the packet, not fresh cracked...sorry). $6.57 for the whole deal. Beautiful if i can spread it over 2 meals. well, i will try. FF
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #815

teriyaki part 2

i did it!!! i put the other order back in the container with my initials on top, and a rubber band around it, AND i put it in the fridge till Mon bkfst. I must say i am freakin' pleased with myself. Mainly because i stretched the cost over 2 meals. Now i am waiting for the MAGIC to happen. FF
Old 06-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #816
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 192/171.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 3/19/14
Worried about being on vacation next week as far as eating low carb. Obviously there will be lots of seafood and a lot of restaurants. I'm planning on just having a lot of meat, seafood (just not shrimp--highly allergic. I would look like something from the Exorcist with my head spinning and all that good stuff if I ate it. Ain't pretty!) and salads. I love going on vacation, but I always get the mentality of eat this, "Just this once..you're on vacation!" I don't want to ruin the few pounds I have lost already and throw myself off track.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Abigale, I'd be interested in hearing more about what Dr. Kruse has to say on leptin resistance or reading the blog post.

Vicki, you go, girl! Onederland, here you come!

FF, you are always so rational in dealing with these new challenges. Tony is right -- it is inspiring.

Still here but crazy busy. Have been trying to up my exercise program in June. Off now to start a thread on the Belmont Stakes for tomorrow, the last race in the Triple Crown of horse racing.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vicki, I know most of the rehab places make sure their patients can take care of themselves before they release them. Sure makes it easier on the family. I had a friend in Alabama who had a double knee replacement at 80 years old. I think she thought she had gone through boot camp before she got home but she was such a trooper and is still driving and getting around at 95! What an inspiration!

LCshadows! So glad to hear from you!! I will post Dr. Kruse's link again for you. Very interesting but I have to read it more than once to try to figure it all out. He says if you keep following his blogs it will all by understandable in the end.
The Quilt | Jack Kruse

ncgirl, wishing you the best next week. Hang in there and know we are all rooting for you to stay the course during your vacation!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hi everyone, sorry i was mia yesterday - just got super busy at work and the power went out last night before i could post...

great to see everyone doing well...once again, i have to comment that we cannot expect the scale to go down every day or two...it is not the scale being stubborn, it is human biology...in order to drop a pound every 2 days, we would have to have a deficit of 3500 calories which equals a deficit of 1750 cals. each day...since the maintenance cals. for most of you gals is not even 1750 cals., you'd have to stop eating completely to lose a pound in two days...

and even THAT wouldn't work for long, as your body would go into starvation mode and slow your metabolism to a crawl so your maintenance cals. would drop lower...

the point is, in order to lose the weight, no matter which plan you employ, takes time and patience...depending on how overweight we are, it could take years to accomplish our goal...the key is to make permanent healthy changes to our eating habits, exercise and live longer, healthier, happier lives...the scale is a compass, not a judge... :-)

dropped 1 lb. this week, down to 209 at official weigh-in yesterday, which illustrates my point as i see-sawed all week between 208 and 212...i was very satisfied...

looking forward to a good weekend...i love you guys!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #820
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, thanks for the encouragement. I just get so frustrated when the scale either doesn't move or plays the up and down game. Down a half pound today marking a one pound loss total for the week. Current weight is 176.4, still the lowest in about a year and a half so overall a success!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't taken my stomach measurements since I weighed 184.6, which was about a year ago. Since that time, I've lost 8 pounds, which I know is not a lot, but most if not all of my weight is in my stomach area...so anything helps. I measured my stomach and since then I've lost two inches off my waist. Small achievement, but still...two inches...yayyy! Whatever it takes to motivate. I wish I would have really stuck with it then the way I'm doing since May. I probably would have had all of this extra weight off, but at least now I'm doing it.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #822

i accomplished all i set out to accomplish today.

PLUS, my friend and i got seats on all the buses, without waiting more than 5 minutes for any of them. Soon, i will be going out to shoprite to walk the aisles. Bkfst was 1/2 coffee, 1/2 decaf. Lunch wa a mcD dbl qtr lber with cheese (u know the drill by now). For supper, i will have pan sauted wild salmon and a veggie stir-fry in grapeseed oil and butter. Later, before curfew time, i will have some cheese (no more than 2 oz)and some diet choc soda. After curfew just zero carb liquids incl water, selzer, and diet snapple. There is laundry to do, and stereo equipment to move from the boudoir to the parlour (oy). Later!!! FF
Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #823
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ncgirl, those are HUGE accomplishments - don't minimize them...losing 8 lbs. and 2 inches took a lot of discipline, and you not only did not gain them back, as most people do - you are using them as a springboard to get even healthier in the coming year...good for you!

ff, do you saute the salmon with the skin on?...do you sear the top first, or the skin side first?...do you end up with scales all over?...curious minds want to know :-)

had another good day yesterday...today will be a bit of a challenge as we are having 50-60 folks over for a surprise grad/going away party for my daughter...she just graduated from nursing school and is moving to nashville next month to take a job at vanderbilt university medical center...they have one of the best residency programs in the country...i will miss her but am very proud of her...

there will be tons of all kind of food - some specialty ethnic food from home (RI) that i rarely get, so i'll be tempted for sure...but i feel strong and committed and i'm not gonna let anything derail me...

hope everyone has a great sunday!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #824

2 pork chops is good, tony...ton of string beans...not so good.

i actually began to appreciate veggies, after i had to limit my quantity of them. i do not know what plan u are on, but...i am willing to guess that if u halved the veggies, the scale might respond in a friendlier manner, i base my fat/protein portions on how hungry i am at the time. Wed at work, i ate a double order of cajun chicken. friday at lunch, i was more attentive to my needs. i ate slower. now i have the 2nd order of chicken for mon bkfst. when i finish my dinner considerably before curfew time. i allow myself time to see if i am really hungry. if i am, i can always have a little snack before 8pm. if i misjudge, i have to wait till the next day. i refuse to break curfew again. i saute both sides of the salmon skin side first. timings depend on the thickness of the piece. last night's was very thin, and only 8 oz. so i finished the pre 8 pm period with 2 slices of muenster cheese and diet choc soda. tonight is steak, and fried celery root-1/2 cup only. FF
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #825
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LCShadows, were you rooting for Shackleford again at the Belmont Stakes? We were too. DH was in a pool and he would have won $100.00. So close.

I have felt out of sorts since we had the 12 hour power outage Thurs. until Fri. morn at 4am. Have not fallen off the wagon but have not had any sort of organized plan going. Have eaten more veggies than I wanted to etc. Dress for reunion is almost done and tried on today to decide if it will be ok or do I need to go on frantic shopping spree. It's going to work but don't have any shoes that come close to going with it. So guess what... Anyway, need to be extra careful this week with salt intake, veggie intake and just not overeating or dress is going to look too lumpy!

FF and Tony, you almost make that salmon sound good. My curfew is 6pm but then, I am usually asleep by 8:30. Not alot of time to be tempted in 2 1/2 hours. lol

Congratulations to your daughter, Tony. Vanderbilt is a great hospital. How often do you get to Nashville to song write? You will doubly look forward to doing that now!

ncgirl, the first year I went low carb I lost just 10 pounds, the next year I went vlc and lost 10 more. Last year I lost more or less 10 more (sometimes it is 10 and some weeks it's back up 3 or 4). It just adds up if you can keep from backsliding too badly. You've lost 8 pounds plus 2inches. By next year at this time you will have lost at least 8 pounds or more, maybe you will have lost all that you want. We all just keep plugging away and it finally works out. Just keep posting and doing the best that you can for your health. We are all rooting for you!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #826

the salmon more than SOUNDS good...it was GREAT

the minced garlic i add to the oil and the fish gives it a nice crust. the inside was pink and flaky. and it was wild, not farm raised. it was nice that the bears saved a piece for me. Right now i have a meatloaf in the oven, into which i put minced garlic, cracked black pepper and some Mrs Dash, AND a nice shot of Franks Hot Sauce (Tabasco got very overpriced. Same size bottle of Franks was 1/2 the price.) When i took the foil off, i spread about 1T of low carb Ketchup on the top, to facilitate the browning and upped the temp from 350 to 450 for about 45 minutes. i never do meatloaf the same way. The time between 6pm and 8:30pm for me is like the 14 billion years that the universe is in existence. i am leaving open the possibility (probability, really)that i will eat something before 8. i made a pilgrimage to my fave landmark-THE TASTY PASTRY SHOPPE. I had my pistachio gelato with 1 sesame cookie. (total net grams was 4.1)I washed it down with a small coffee, drop of cream. I am happy that i prefer no artificial sweeteners in my coffee, and that i like my coffee dark. it saves a few grams a day. i would rather apply those grams to solid food. I took home for the week 2 tiramisu (3 gr each), and 1 portion of their legendary cheesecake. i had intended the salmon for yesterday's dinner. but the apartment was still overheated from the past week's Venusian weather, so i ordered chinese instead. Tomorrow is the shell steak and the 1/2 cup of celery root which i shall make as if they were Ferenghi fries(the French stole it from us. i will be visiting them soon)FF
Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #827

i did have something before the curfew...at 7:37pm edt

the tail piece of the meat loaf. i give it a 5 lobe rating. now it is in the fridge. tomorrow, i will portion it out, each piece in a sandwich size plastic bag. it is so easy to eat the whole thing at once. Okay, it isn't rocket science to do meatloaf. but, i was a dial up dinner dude...and it became an expensive habit. All my creations are basic, few ingredients, and usually quick, except for roasts, meat loaf, and chickens, whole or parts. But, they are all easy to do, and the finished product is always surprisingly good. FF
Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #828
Major LCF Poster!

Waking up to the beautiful coastal Outer Banks today! I brought my laptop so figured I would check in and this will help me be accountable. Yesterday was incredibly hot at the camp. My son's knee gave out on him so this wasn't a great camp. We were there for about three hours and called it quits when he said he couldn't continue. Today we're taking it easy to let him rest. He's been to an orthopedist about the same knee, they said it's torn cartilage, not ligaments and they can't operate. Gave him a cortisone shot which helped about two months. Getting him a second opinion when we get back if the knee is still bothering him. Hopefully yesterday was just a sprain of sorts and not a true injury. Anyways, yesterday was not too bad. I had a protein shake, an omellette on the road, a salad and a few pieces of strawberries and watermelon at the event and then a bacon cheddar roast beef without the bread. Good, but not filling . Anywys, getting ready to go have breakfast. Take care everyone!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #829
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Happy Monday all,

FF- fun to read your food adventures!

Marilee - gosh sorry your knee is acting up, but keep your focus on your next round of losing because that will make the surgery go better!

Abi - yeah, that was wild weather, no power outtages where I was though!!

I took Friday off and did Planet Fitness for 40 min elliptical and 30 min treadmill, did some errands and then went to the beach for a 50 min walk on the sand at low tide. Got myself a lobster salad at the Beach Plum and took it back out onto the beach to eat and watch the waves, how nice. Had
the tops scraped off of 2 pcs of pizza for Friday night and hockey game.

Saturday was our neighbors wedding - pig roast and all. I enjoyed myself and ate and drank well off the reservation, oh well!

Did another Planet session on Sunday, it is a real push to do 40 min on the elliptical, I cover the clock with my towel and listen to music and eventually the time passes. I'm trying to burn 600 calories each visit....it really does feel so good once it is all over!!!

so needless to say, it's back on the wagon!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #830
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi guys,
great to read what everyone's up to...

ff, i love meatloaf, but my kids don't so i rarely have it...i'm sure it was delicious...so does the pistachio gelato!...

ncgirl, sorry to hear about your son - i tore cartilage as a high school athlete and it hampered me for years in sports...but that was before arthroscopic surgery, so if it is serious, i'm thinking that might be an option...pro athletes seem to have it done almost routinely...

abi, my goal is to get to nashville every 5-6 weeks to write and now more importantly, to see my little girl... :-) btw, it's monday and a great day to "rest" after a slip...lol...

hey nancy, you have to go off the reservation at a pig roast, dontcha?...i though that was a rule...lol...you must be looking pretty fit with all the time you are putting in at planet fitness...you can afford a few more calories - you're burning them...

we're only 2 1/2 weeks from the end of this blitz...

i ate pretty much on plan yesterday at the party - a couple of nibbles of carby stuff and too much salt, but the real danger is what is all over the kitchen right now...all stuff folks brought and wouldn't take home and the kids love it and unfortunately, so do i...

i have stayed away from it so far, but i wish i could throw it all out!...wish me luck...
Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #831
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, I hate it when people insist on leaving the leftovers. I have just a certain tolerance to be able to stay clear of off limits food and that is just too much temptation to have around. If it's not refrigerated stuff ask the kids to put it in their rooms and if it is, put it in the crisper where you can't see it! lol

Nancy, I love pig roasts! One of my brothers had one for the rehersal dinner when he got married and years ago in Alabama DH used to belong to a Rod and Gun Club that had a couple of pig roasts that he helped cook at. The guys would be up all night drinking beer and basting the pig, When it finally got flipped over they would start to pick at it. It's a miracle there was any pork left by the time they served the dinner.

ncgirl, sorry to hear your son's knee gave out on him. Hoping that resting it will make it feel better. Your meals sound good and low carb. Glad you could bring your lap top to check in with us.

FF, you may have to write a low carb cook book with all your delicious meals and helpful hints on making your food more tasty!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #832

even better than a cookbook, Abigale....

my own cooking show. I can do a lobes on approach to low carb cooking, w/o even calling it a low carb show. I could call it FLATFERENGHI with FEW INGREDIENTS FOODFEST. I think there are enough Fs in there. I could have a small audience, with volunteers to taste my creations afterward, incl chefs from other cooking shows. I think with my gift of improvisation, i could do it live.However, until i get to 1-derland, it is still a pipedream, like returning to my home world. After work, (if it does not rain), i am attempting to do a major walk, as i did little on the weekend. I have on my old brown shoes, the least difficult of the 2. Wish me luck. FF
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

I'm loving that everyone posts what they eat during the day. My biggest problem in the past has been getting bored with the plain things to eat, but now I'm finding there are more things to eat. Today we slept through breakfast so only had lunch so far. I had an awesome mushroom swiss burger (hold the bun, please LOL), few bites of cole slaw that I hope was low carb and a slice of tomato and onion. Oh, btw, getting in my exercise for sure. We are on the third floor of the condominium and NO ELEVATOR. My legs and butt are going to be in great shape when we get back plus we are walking everywhere. I remembered that glucosomine is supposed to be great for the knees, cartilage and joints. Picked up some today for my son. He said is knee is feeling a lot better today so hoping yesterday he just twisted it somehow. Be back later. BTW, hubby said who are you typing so much to on there? Had to tell him this keeps me accountable, like low carb meetings. Seriously.

One last thing, I forgot to bring my weight scale yes with me. Yes, I wanted to bring it on vacation because I always weigh myself every day, twice a day. Hubby said this is borderline obsessive. I don't think so! I can't go a week without weighing myself...killing me!

Last edited by ncgirl37; 06-13-2011 at 12:28 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #834
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ncgirl, I would have to bring my scales too. I am very obsessive too but I also think I have prevented many a binge and setback by weighing daily. When I see the scales going up every day I get scared and start to shape up again. I also meant to tell you that maybe you have the "model sister" but you are very pretty and she has nothing on you. So glad your son's knee is feeling better and the glucosamine is a great idea to help it along.

FF, a cooking show!! Why didn't I think of that? Yes, that is what you need to strive for as soon as you hit 1- derland!

I feel like I ate too much tonight especially with having to wear "the dress" to the high school reunion Sat. night. I am a blue jean - t shirt not tucked in kind of person. The "dress" is straight and fitted jersey so no hiding any lumpy stuff. I have had 3 scambled eggs, 5 stips of bacon, 2 oz of cheese and a cup of ground beef. I feel blah. Tomorrow I am back to drinking more water and planning meals in advance!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #835
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi everyone.....Finally back in my 2 pound window. Can't wait to start my drops on Wednesday. I'm ready to lose more weight.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #836

got in a 1 hr walk. very invigorated and enjoyable...

for everyone, but the soles of my feet. it is time to make my steak (7:12 pm) 48 minutes to curfew. i am postponing the celery root till tomorrow.FF
Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #837

good news and bad news.

the best steak yet is the good news. forgive my lack of humility, but it would take a restaurant of the caliber of Peter Lugers to out-do the steak exerience i enjoyed this evening. And, it cost me only $7.00 and change for a 0.86 lb bone in. crusty on the outside, pink and juicy on the inside. the bad news...hope you are all sitting down..i broke curfew(9pm). If i did not have a post curfew nosh (piece of meatloaf), i most certainly would have endulged in binge behavior. so...i believe a small peccadillo, in this instance, was just what the Dr (ATKINS) ordered. i will certainly keep the idea of a cooking show alive. FF
Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #838
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, what i did was impose a curfew 5 nights a week - any nights - so that gave me two nights i could eat after 9 without breaking the rules...i rarely use the leeway i gave myself but sometimes it is beneficial to do so, as you experienced last night!...

marilee, best of luck and congrats getting back in the window!...lol...

abi, that was not too bad a menu...plenty of water and a moderate couple of days will have you looking fine in that dress...

ncgirl, stairs are great exercise...i vote for a before and after pic of your butt...lol...just teasing!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #839

well, tonight i will push dinner time as close as possible to 8 pm.

today's eats: BKFST: last (sigh)of the soybean oil based muffins with butter...adieu. SNACK: egg salad on 2 slices low carb bread. LUNCH; something from the cafeteria or breadless sandwich. DINNER: FFs famous meatloaf, with celeriac fries. FF
Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #840
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had to wake up last night to pop a couple of tums. Something just did not agree with me yesterday. So far today I have had a bowl of hamburg and two oz of cheese. Am drinking some water and have had 3 cups of coffee with cream and some coconut oil. Feel fine today. More hamburg for dinner and since we are getting lettuce from the garden maybe a green salad.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Closed Thread