Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 192/171.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 3/19/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Vicki, hoping you get a whoosh tonight and are under 200 by tomorrow, and then you will be posting again!

Just read Dr. Kruse's second blog post - "Why is Oprah so obese?" He is writing about Leptin resistance (the hormone that regulates all the other hormones) and it is way more complicated than I can really understand or explain. All I can figure out is that if you are leptin resistant you can't utilize your fuel and it is sent off to fat cells while our muscles are energy starved. His recommendation for breakfast :
"For most overweight paleo’s I want them loading up for breakfast. 50-75 gms is routine. Four egg omelettes with a serious side of bacon is how I roll my breakfast. On surgery days I make a killer coconut smoothie with raw eggs and coconut milk and heavy cream. You will never be hungry if you eat a breakfast like this. the biochemistry behind this recommendation is why……very detailed but I will post it at some point if people are interested."
The coconut smoothie sounds yummy!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #782
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i am happy to be back at work. too much weekend=too much opportunity to get into trouble(high carb trouble, that is).my work days provide me not only with structure, but i get so busy, i forget how hungry i am. After work, i am not going directly home. I am getting off at Bklyn. College, and walking the rest of the way home. That is exactly 45 minutes as the troll foot flies. Then it is a thin boneless pan sauted steak for dinner. FF
A 45 minute walk is great! A few days a week, two girls that I am friends with and me walk around our neighborhood for about a half hour or more. Usually takes longer because our neighbors always stops us to chat, but the exercise is great!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #783
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
OK, here goes. I am going to post daily, maybe more. I have been isolating way too long. I was 203 today I thought I did well yesterday too.

For breakfast:
full fat yogurt, peach, flax oil, parsley, celery, carrots, red pepper, protein powder shake. Coffee, w halfnhalf
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #784
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Vicki, hoping you get a whoosh tonight and are under 200 by tomorrow, and then you will be posting again!

Just read Dr. Kruse's second blog post - "Why is Oprah so obese?" He is writing about Leptin resistance (the hormone that regulates all the other hormones) and it is way more complicated than I can really understand or explain. All I can figure out is that if you are leptin resistant you can't utilize your fuel and it is sent off to fat cells while our muscles are energy starved. His recommendation for breakfast :
"For most overweight paleo’s I want them loading up for breakfast. 50-75 gms is routine. Four egg omelettes with a serious side of bacon is how I roll my breakfast. On surgery days I make a killer coconut smoothie with raw eggs and coconut milk and heavy cream. You will never be hungry if you eat a breakfast like this. the biochemistry behind this recommendation is why……very detailed but I will post it at some point if people are interested."
I agree with the full fat and not experiencing physical hunger, but that is rarely my problem. It is the head hunger!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #785
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
head hunger, Vickie?

i did not know u were a zombie. lol FF
Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #786
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
I'm so glad I don't like brains!!!

Ok, I have something to report. I have gone down from a size 3X regular pant to a 2X petite - and they aren't tight!!!

I'm going to throw out the 3x's (or cut the legs off and make them bermudas for doing housework, etc.) so I can't wear them any more!!!!!

The maintaining phase of my plan is hard for me. I can fluctuate so easily. But, I'm still under 300 by 3 pounds - I NEVER want to see those numbers again!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #787
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Hi all!

Marilee - ooohh that's great news about going down a size, and your resolve to nevah-evah wear the 3x again, you go girl!

Vicki - Love your avi! Me too, I'm in the 200-purgatory like you. I goof off at the weekend and then it takes me the weekdays to get back to level weight, I have to break this cycle....

Tony - nice menus there!

I read a lot about the leptin sensitivity in the Rosedale Diet Book, which had the tag line "Turn Off Your Hunger Switch" which appealed to me. And I like the idea of loading up on some decent fat for breakfast....which for me this morning was 1 hb egg, the 1/4 avocado, some sauteed baby spinach w/red peppers. For lunch today, my salad has some almonds in it and some goat cheese.... Fat burns fat.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Vicki, the head hunger is what usually gets me too. I have several times during the day when I am at Mom's and it's not quite time to move her from one area to another or time to fix a meal for her. She likes to watch Bonanza and I have seen every episode 3 times. These are my danger times when I start to think I need something to eat. It is a real challenge to not give in to the cravings.

Marilee, I think it is wonderful you have gone to the smaller size pants. Like the attitude to modify the old size so you won't be able to wear them out of the house again. And I know you never will need that size again.

ncgirl, I thought that smoothie sounded good too. It would be a quick way to fill up. I have never made a smoothie before because I know if I have to have it sweetened I would be back to craving sweets - but Dr. Kruse didn't mention sweetening it. I think it would be bland but the taste of coconut milk probably would be good. I know I like coconut oil in my coffee.

Nancy, your breakfast sounded good.

FF, does your apartment have air conditioning?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #789

yes, abigale...but it is too expensive to run it.

if i have it on, it does not reach the bedroom. i would have to sleep on the couch. i use it ONLY on a life or death basis. tonight, i will make a light supper, and go outside, with a big bottle of ice water. i will just sit outside and watch the cars go by. FF
Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #790

air conditioned office

i will be sorry to leave for the day. i had a diet swiss miss hc about an hour ago. it hit the spot. i am no longer hungry. i have not felt the need to drink more than usual. all that will change when i get outside. i have a frozen plain water on deck. it will thaw out in no time. FF
Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #791
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
marilee!...congrats on the new pants - that is AWESOME!...you have earned every inch you've lost, girl...i am so proud of you!...

vicki, happy to see you are not disappearing - we would have really missed ya, kid... :-)

this has been a weird week fluid-wise...i have been doing GREAT eating, but i went from 208 on monday to 212 on tuesday and then to 210 today...i have been doing this long enough to know this is how the cycle works...in the past i would have been discouraged since i have behaved so well, and have not lost anything yet...

remember, it takes a gap of 3500 calories (between what you eat and what you burn) to lose 1 pound...so it is difficult and takes some time to lose even 1 lb. of fat...the daily fluctuations up and down are mostly fluid...the lesson is don't expect to lose much more than 1/2-2 pounds per week on average...and if you are down 3 pounds over 2 days, expect to tack 1 or 2 of them back on over the subsequent day or two...

today:
b: 3 oz. baked salmon
l: skipped
s: 5 almonds
d: not sure yet :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #792
Blabbermouth!!!

Gibby, congrats on going down a size, wahoo.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #793
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, this journey is so strange. Just when you think you have it figured out things just do not go as expected. I don't get too upset any more. Still trying to find the magic answer. And when I look at the experts, I see they are doing the same thing!

FF, so glad to know if things get really rough like they did last summer with day after day of 90 degree weather you can turn on the air. A bottle of frozen water and sitting out on the stoop sounds very nice!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #794

i was downstairs for 45 minutes, until it got too dark to read.

it is actually warmer at night than during the day. however, i am taking it all in stride. ate my last chicken breast which i baptized in WF bbq sauce mixed with chinese mustard. what a great partnership. i have seen quite a number of lc bbq sauce recipes, each one with so many ingredients,for which it would cost me a week's salary . i am certain they are delicious. i feel i have accomplished the same level of yumminess with just the 2. this year i am letting the heat work for me. if it results in more schvitz (sweat), and less appetite, all the better. Congrats, Gibby, on the downsizing. FLAT-stewing in his own juices-FERENGHI
Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #795

i was just looking over some of Blitz V earlier posts.

it is a miracle i survived the last few months. my weight loss efforts did not result in spectacular scale victories, save last week. i am hoping that with whatever walking i CAN do, and the fitness spa, beg 6/18/11, things will improve. My little departure from sanity in May had better be history. I cannot afford to repeat that experience. When my brain is on-plan I can and do stare down the most tempting and desirable carbs. When my brain is off-plan, i gobble up everything in sight and on site. I gotta keep my brain from wandering. FF
Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #796
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i'm with ya, ff...i think it is natural for folks to hit the proverbial "wall" when they've been doing what we've been doing for almost 15 months...the results are often not commesurate with the sacrifice and it is normal to feel frustration over that...

the best remedy i can think of and the thing that has kept me from staying down when i've fallen during these blitzes, is contemplating the alternative...thinking about what it was like when i was 40 lbs. heavier: how i looked, how i felt, how my clothes fit, etc...

i am NEVER going back there - this i know...but it has been so long since i've been 185 lbs. that i think i have trouble sometimes imagining what it will be like when i get there...how much better will it be than where i am?...and it is that uncertainty, coupled with the difficulty of getting there, that i think has hindered me these last six months...

but i'm now committed to getting there - to my goal - to find out what i've been missing all these years...and you're going with me, brother! :-)

Last edited by tony8; 06-09-2011 at 06:40 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #797
Blabbermouth!!!

204.5 today, WTH? Yesterday wasn't that bad either.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #798
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

don't worry vicki and don't get discouraged...if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you WILL lose weight - it just takes time...i'm back at 212 today, but i know i'm not gaining real weight because i am eating cleanly and not taking in more calories than i need to maintain my current weight...i recognize it for what it is: a temporary trick that my body is playing on me as it retains fluid and tries to hang onto the weight i am hell-bent on losing :-)

the trick is to not become discouraged, and to just string one good day after another, and to keep your expectations of the scale very low... :-)

you'll be fine, girl...
Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #799
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Hey Tony

I totally agree about the fear of the uncertainty of being a lower weight. I can't tell you how many times I've lost close to this weight in the last 4 years but the fact that I have just reached the lowest I've been in 4 years by a couple pounds makes me think it's going to be ok.

I think that we get comfortable at this weight as uncomfortable as it actually is, if that makes sense! But if I was skinny I just can't imagine how that would be!! I think it'd be scary and also amazing once my mind catches up.

155: 05/15/2011
150: 06/07/2011
145:
140:
135:
130:
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #800
Major LCF Poster!

Still holding on to the one pound lost so hoping it was a fat pound and not a water pound. So far today I have had 4 slices of bacon, 1/2 cup greek yogurt with a small handful of frozen blueberries, a Tbl. of guacamole, and coffee with cream and coconut oil. Will have 1 cup of ground beef for dinner. It is my afternoon off so I went to Joanne's Fabric in Keene and bought some material and a dress pattern. Have not sewn in years but have a high school reunion coming up on the 18th and need something to wear. I really don't have time to shop looking for something I like so hope this works out. We are going to just stop by for drinks as dinner won't be served until 7:30 which will mean a late night for us. lol Also dinner is 25.00 apiece and that is just too pricey after paying our dues and making a donation to the scholarship fund.

Managed to get home before it got too hot out there. It's 89 right now but we have one window air conditioner and it is blasting. Quite comfortable at the moment.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Talk to you later!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #801

well, Abigale...u are like Madonna...

a "material girl" u old sew & sew u. I see by the temp in NH, there is no point in moving north, for a lousy 4 degrees less. The weekend here will be significantly cooler. The question is whether it will rain or not. I need to do my water walk. I am pleased to say the scale behaved beautifully today. another 3.2 lbs off the troll's keester. FF
Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #802
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tammy - Where are you girlfriend?????!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #803

okay, vicki-engage your engines.

u are as close to 1 derland as i am from 2 dorland. (304.6). who is gonna get to their respective destination 1st? i am gonna push myself to the hilt the next 7 days. BUT, i am not cutting down on my food to score a hit. i eat when i am hungry, and more often than not stop when i am no longer hungry. Today, for example, i had a low carb muffin with butter.(4 grams) by the time i got back from the WW meeting, there was no time for lunch. the next opportunity was the 3:15pm break, but by 2:30pm, i was delirious with hunger, so i had a swiss miss hot choc with whipped cream. (5 grams)that saved my bacon. i took the 2 slices of low carb bread(3 grams) for dinner which was 3 angus burgers deluxe(i add an add'l 3 grams for the tomato, onion and pickle, and less than 1 T low carb ketchup.Daily net gr total was 15 gr) i still felt like eating something. but i said to myself "hold your horses, and wait it out". and wait i did. by 8 pm curfew time, i heaved a sigh of relief...it is finished...till tomorrow. Time & Knowledge are the keys. for those of u who have the Turner network, a classic early sci-fi flick: THEM. giant ants who switched from sugar to fat and protein (HEWMONS). FF
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #804
Blabbermouth!!!

ff, you are on. Let's see who can make it to the lower range.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #805
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, FF, you just crack me up! I never know what you will say next. lol

Well, we lost power yesterday at 4pm (on my afternoon off of all things.) It came back on sometime after I left the house this morning. Tony and Nancy, did you have any bad weather in your neck of the woods? Was just getting ready to cook my ground beef last night when it went out so had cheese and a salad instead. Had to get stuff out of frig and freezer and bring to Mom's to save it. Foraging around at 4am with a flashlight is not easy.

Vicki and Marilee, how is Dad/Brother doing?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #806
Major LCF Poster!

This is going to be fun to watch Vicki and FF in a race! Good luck to you both!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #807
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone - still maintaining. The fat I have is redistributing in a very positive way, which is one of the reasons for maintenance. I'm losing inches...I can tell. I don't measure because to be honest, it's too difficult to get an accurate reading when you are doing it yourself, but I can tell by my clothes and under garments I am happy that I will be back on my hcg starting next Wednesday. I'm ready to drop some more weight. The "chicken" shots I received aren't working as well as I had anticipated (I really didn't know what to expect) and I want the surgery, but need to lose more weight before they will do it. Still using the cane and limping pretty badly. Bummer!

Abi, thanks for asking. He is still in the hospital. He had his ankled pinned, screwed or whatever, as it was a lateral break, but he is in the rehab part of the hospital and should be home soon. Vicki probably knows more since she is right there in town with him.

Marilee
Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #808
Major LCF Poster!

Just a quick hello! And I see we were not the only ones to have bad weather yesterday. Nasty thunderstorms rolled in late yesterday. After a few days, I am hovering at 177.2, which is up not quite a half pound. For some reason, my body is stubborn about weight loss and will go down a nice pound and a half, but then stay there for the next few days constantly. Anywho, not losing sleep over it. I'm doing my part and sticking to plan.

Gibby, I tried the HCG...twice actually and did not have any success with it. Good luck to you, I know some people have great weight loss results with it.

FF, I am with you on having to scale back the portions. That is my downfall. Last night I ate two baked pork chops with a ton of green beans. Probably should have skipped half of that.

Tony, I am also with you on hitting that wall. As I mentioned earlier, my body is stubborn. Fights me tooth and nail, literally LOL. I have always given up in the past, but this time I am seeing results and refuse to give up. There is a skinny girl in me dying to get out. By the way, my older sister is 41 and just recently got signed to a modeling contract. At 41! Apparently, there is a huge market for this age group for women who can look 35-50. Tall, blonde, green eyes, and model type. I am positve we are adopted LOL. No, really. If that's not motivation to lose this weight, I don't know what is.

Everyone else, keep on doing what you are doing! Another cup of coffee is calling my name and so is some editing work. Check in later.

Last edited by ncgirl37; 06-10-2011 at 08:12 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #809
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Abigale...how exciting to make your own dress! That's a skill that I've always admired.
Hopefully you'll get to cook your ground beef today!

Gibby...I was catching up on old posts and I read the "Mounds Bar" post. Oh my goodness. PLEEASE tell me this is a LC item!! Of course, I would probably end up eating the whole thing in one sitting. lol.
Nice to hear things are redistributing in a pleasing way.

tony...way to stay positive even tho your body is fighting you ounce for ounce. Stubborn!!

B: 2 HB eggs
L: chicken and green beans
S: nuts
D: fish and veggies
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #810

i may have overstated the case vis-a-vis portion sizes.

sometimes we need a little more, and sometimes a little less. Last night is a good example of what i mean. scroll back to see my last 6/9/11 post re:Angus Deluxe dinner and afterward. Timing is so important in the portion control game. Gibby, see if u can get a walker. It will really stabilize you, and make getting around less painful. They have wheels and seats now. the one I used way back then was the plain brown wrapper one (i.e no wheels, no seat.)I got a good workout though. Canes just don't cut the mustard. Just finished a high cholesterol, high saturated fat nosh ( 2 hard boiled eggs with mayo and black pepper). No doubt, i will be dead by sunrise tomorrow heh heh heh. Had tuna salad for bkfst on my low carb bread. Dinner is still up for grabs. Tomorrow, i have a long trip ahead of me; at least 2 hrs one way by bus, and 2 hrs back home. There is a place, still in Bklyn, that sells phono cartridges and accessories for turntables. After waiting years, I will VINYLly be able to play my LPs again. I am very excited. FF
Closed Thread