Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #751
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
one thing to remember.

hot and humid days retain water even if u restrict sodium. The way to flush out the water is to DRINK MORE WATER!!!These days i am keeping as busy as possible to keep my mind off food, if the hot and sticky summer weather does not put the kibosh on my appetite. I am so looking fwd to working out. I am not going to make a the mistake of going gung go and then quitting after a month or so. Besides, i need to protect my investment. 4 x a week is the right amount for me. June 17 or 18th it begins. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #752
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, i believe the gym is gonna kick start your program into a whole new gear...the losses may slow down at first as you build muscle so don't get discouraged, but you will be toning and building a calorie burning engine that will accelerate your losses in the longer term...good for you!...

today's menu:
b: few chunks of cantaloupe
l: turkey burger
s: 5 walnut halves
d: salmon, i think (doesn't it seem like i'm always "thinking" salmon?)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #753

i thought i could cheat fate just once.

beautiful weather, low humidity, perfect for a nice 45 minute walk. But no, my feet were protesting already before i took 1 step. as i cannot walk the street barefoot, i shall have to wait for the weekend, weather permitting. sigh...time to make the steak. FF
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #754
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i want a full report on that steak!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 192/175.2/140 5'7
Start Date: 3/19/14
Abigal, your dog looks like my lab, Spike, except Spike is somewhat bigger. I love labs... sweet dogs.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #756
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Just checking in--did pretty well over the weekend, actually haven't weighed myself but hanging in there, did have popcorn but didn't eat dinner that night--other than that I was right on. I will be going camping this weekend and know it will be a challenge but I'm going to plan my food carefully and that always helps.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #757
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Hi hcgirl! I love labs too. Bama is so loveable. She is a small lab and vet says she is too heavy so we are trying to curb her eating. Just like me she is a voracious eater. lol

FF, sorry your feet give you such fits when your heart is in for a good walk. I wonder when you get to go to the gym on the 18/19 if they would let you walk barefoot on the treadmill. Or maybe you could wear some of those slipper socks that have little non slip bottoms on them?

Had some moments yesterday when I was craving something. I ended up eating two more oz of horseradish cheese very slowly to try to curb my appetite. It got me through with the skin of my teeth. Had closer to 60 grams of protein.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #758

well, today i am wearing my friendlier shoes...

the old brown shoes. i can do the aisles at shoprite this evening. 5 or 10 minutes on the treadmill does not concern me. it is the real hour plus treks out there that concern me. it is supposed to get to 80 degrees this weekend. Let us pray. Now, about that steak. It was 2 thin steaks, but boneless. It took no time at all in the saute pan. i did not have time to prep it. i put garlic(minced), black pepper, and some Mrs Dash in the oil (grapeseed), and on the steaks. it formed a beautiful crust on the outside. inside, it was medium rare. i spread some kosher deli mustard on top of each one, and munched on some celery sticks. Yet, it was not filling. I finished it off, 10 minutes later, with my last 2 thin slices of muenster cheese. I am now cheeseless. I used to be envious of people who had outside grills. No more. Just refer to me as FLAT MEAT MASTER FERENGHI.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

Last night I did not do as well as hoped. I had a cheddar biscuit which probably has about 25 to 30 carbs in it at dinner as well as a crab cake which has about 15 carbs in it. I probably had had about 10 carbs total up until that point, so.... Hoping it won't stall me too bad. I weigh the same today, so hasn't caught up with me yet. I am still feeling strong though and do not consider that a big mess or anything, just temporary weakness LOL. Boy, this weather is heating up here in NC! We are going to the Outerbanks on Sunday after going to my son's football camp invite at NC State on Sunday. He just came back from a camp at University of Tennessee. Felt like he did really well. Since he's still just a sophomore in high school, the fact that these colleges are inviting him at all is great! He's obviously still got some more time to hone his beastly football skills LOL. Hope everyone is having a low carb day
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #760
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ncgirl, best of luck to your son...you're right about how great it is that he is being invited to do the camps!...

as for the biscuit, don't sweat it...it's no big deal...BUT i can tell you from experience, if you really want to avoid battling biscuits and such daily, the best thing to do is go through your kitchen and throw out anything that might tempt you...if i had employed that strategy 6 months ago, i'd be a LOT closer to goal now...

some folks like bec, can be around chocolate all day and not be tempted - others, like me, can't have the stuff around or we're gonna eat it...if you're more like me than like her, trust me and get it out of the house... :-)

abi, nice job dealing with the cravings...i'm proud of you!

jenny, best of luck on the camping trip...i was thinking of you yesterday as i ate a handful of cherries...we're twins, so i'm hoping you start feeling the way i started feeling on friday after i suffered a very LONG period of being completely unmotivated...i'm guessing you are not posting much because you are not in the groove yet, but i found that posting even when i was struggling helped me find my motivation...love ya, kid...

ff, that steak description made my mouth water - thanks for that...lol...sounds like you dealt with the hunger like a true ferenghi...congrats bro...

i had another great night - i DID finally end up making salmon for dinner and will have leftover salmon for breakfast...it was delicious!...just baked it topped with olive oil and stubb's rosemary-ginger seasoning...

looking forward to another good day - it's so much easier when you WANT to eat on plan instead of feeling like you are forcing yourself...keeping the carbage out of the house is definitely helping too...

kbeth, i am eating pretty paleo and feel great... :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 06-07-2011 at 06:20 AM..
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #761
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Just got back from visiting MIL in NC. I am BEYOND proud of myself and I have to quote tony8: "i am completely on track and in the right frame of mind - FINALLY!...it is so weird how this commitment can be elusive, but once you feel it, it is so powerful..."
Of course it may have had something to do with the fact that it was in the mid 90s the whole time and she has NO AIR CONDITIONING. No desire to eat all the fabulous pasta and dessert and feel bloated and gross in that kind of heat, lol. Luckily MIL is very supportive of my healthy way of eating. She is not at all offended if I pass on something.

tony...Loved that you felt comfortable -- even good about yourself sitting shirtless in the sun. It's nice to have evidence of progress even when things are moving slowly. And glad you're enjoying Paleo! It just makes sense, doesn't it??

Welcome back ncgirl! Just returned from your part of the country. Man! Is it pretty there!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #762
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Hey Tony, I didn't always used to be so great about avoiding all my free chocolate. I do have a rule that it's not allowed in the house. I know that I have it all in my car but I just try to forget about the car all together as it just sits in the boot! It took me 2 years of working there to finally give up the habit and I am still nervous daily that I may give in to it. I am also glad to hear how great you are doing, sounds like you're really into the swing of things and i'm sure you'll keep it up until the end of this blitz and beyond.

I'm not so good about controlling allowed LC foods. I often eat more that I plan to whilst just sitting around at home.

I hit a massive landmark today!!! The 140s!!!!! I am totally stoked. Weighed in at 149.3 this morning. My dinner last night did consist of 2 cocktails (the least sugary ones I could find) but they clearly agreed with me

I started a journal on here a couple of weeks ago and I am finding it is really helping me to feel totally accountable and motivated. For about a week now I am in a state of mind where I feel like I just can't imagine cheating, it is unimaginable to me. I plan on staying this way!

Anyway take care everyone and keep up the motivation and weight loss!

Becca

155: 05/15/2011
150: 06/07/2011
145:
140:
135:
130:
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #763
Major LCF Poster!

FF...Great reminder on the water. I am a big fan of water anyway, but being in sauna-like conditions for the week, I was non-stop guzzling. I feel strangely cleansed because I consumed mass quantities of water and sweat it out immediately. It wasn't fun in that respect, but I don't mind at all that I came home 3 lbs. lighter!
I hope that the weather will cooperate with you, but I really respect your commitment to getting wherever you can. When will you start at the gym?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #764

so good seeing u again, kbeth.

i will begin on 6/18/11 the day after my next paycheck. i will ask someone to create a circuit program that minimally impacts the feet and knees. I need development in everything ABOVE the legs including the derriere. i am sure 1/2 hr to 45 minutes a session should do it (plus or minus waiting for someone else to finish using the equipment). it is sort of like going to summer camp w/o the arts and crafts. NC girl: there are countless low carb recipes for crab cakes incl 1 in the recipe section of DANDR. When u can have your proverbial cake and eat it too...WHY NOT??? Although I have said it before, I must thank Tony again for the curfew idea. Tony, on days like yesterday when even a ton of food would not have sufficed, the curfew was a saving grace. Sure i was hungry(but not uncontrollably so), & i woke up feeling quite refreshed and quite proud of myself. I really recommend it for all. It develops discipline. FF
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #765
Major LCF Poster!

BecinUK...we posted at the same time and I missed yours. Congratulations!! You are SMOKIN'!!

Vicki...I wanted to thank you for mentioning Napa leaves for sandwiches a while back. Perfect! I used to use romaine leaves and I would be a hot mess by the time I was done!

Abi...I had to eat more dairy than usual at MIL's to beat some cravings, too. I don't eat much cheese anymore, so it really was a treat!
Bama looks so sweet...I'm a cat person, but I'm all about the ears, and hers look velvety and delectable!! lol!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #766
Senior LCF Member

I agree! Curfew is by far the biggest help that I have gained since joining the Blitz!

I will never eat past 9pm again!!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #767
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
Just got back from visiting MIL in NC. I am BEYOND proud of myself and I have to quote tony8: "i am completely on track and in the right frame of mind - FINALLY!...it is so weird how this commitment can be elusive, but once you feel it, it is so powerful..."
Of course it may have had something to do with the fact that it was in the mid 90s the whole time and she has NO AIR CONDITIONING. No desire to eat all the fabulous pasta and dessert and feel bloated and gross in that kind of heat, lol. Luckily MIL is very supportive of my healthy way of eating. She is not at all offended if I pass on something.

tony...Loved that you felt comfortable -- even good about yourself sitting shirtless in the sun. It's nice to have evidence of progress even when things are moving slowly. And glad you're enjoying Paleo! It just makes sense, doesn't it??

Welcome back ncgirl! Just returned from your part of the country. Man! Is it pretty there!
That's funny, my next door neighbor who is also one of my best friends is from Chicago. She moved to NC from Chicago several years ago and she just recently came back from a visit there... Small world LOL. And yes, it is HOT here already!

Last edited by ncgirl37; 06-07-2011 at 09:26 AM..
Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #768
Major LCF Poster!

Kbeth, I am also a cat person. We have two black and white cats that were born without tails. We've had these two for almost 6 years now. The cats and dog finally tolerate each other. One of them opens the kitchen cabinets and then Bama can get into them and drag out and chew up the tupperware. Need some kiddy locks!

Wonderful Kbeth coming back 3 pounds lighter and with a positive mind set!

Becca, I kept a journal at another site for almost a year and it really helped me to lose the first 20 pounds. Good idea! Do you have to keep the chocolate in some kind of cooler to keep it from melting?

Tony, that rosemary ginger seasoning sounds delicious. Would that be good on chicken too?

So far today I have had two slices of swiss cheese and two hard boiled eggs. Plan on a cup of ground beef for dinner. Drinking coffee with cream and coconut oil and some flavored sugar free waters.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #769

i just devoured a double order of cajun chicken...

in exactly 10 minutes flat. it's okay, though. i win by default, as there is no more food till i get home. yeah, hot and sticky weather does put the kibosh on my appetite (usually). I will be putting that to the test tomorrow and Thursday, as the BIG APPLE bakes bigtime with the humidity to match. I see Tony is trying to win the harem back with that shirtless jazz. Well, before 2011 draws to a close this troll will be irresistable. Federal. state and local regulations compel me to issue that caveat. FF
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #770
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lol, ff...thanks for the warning!...that cajun chicken sounds yummy, bro...rest easily - the harem is in good hands!

i'm happy to hear we all seem to be finding our mojo right now...don't remember the last time we all seemed to be doing well at once!

kbeth, great to have you back from the south feeling strong!...i lose my appetite when it is hot too...i bet your whole metabolism is flushed out and reset now...congrats, kid... :-) and YES, paleo makes perfect sense to me - thanks for introducing me to it...

ok bec, if it makes you happy, i'll say that you are as bad as me! :-) but i would be foraging around in the car at night for chocolate if i knew it was out there...

abi, i use it on a bunch of stuff - it is awesome in stir-fry and i often use chicken in that...it does have some salt, so i limit it, but it is tasty...

today:
b: leftover salmon
l: few slices of roast turkey
s: 6 almonds
d: salmon salad on salad and maybe a smidge of grilled steak if i make it for the kids

Last edited by tony8; 06-07-2011 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #771
Senior LCF Member

Hey Tony, don't think I haven't been out there before at 1am! It's happened more than once embarrassingly and Abi, I don't use a cooler but I live in London, even the summer weather isn't that hot. There's not too much out there at the moment so if it does melt I'll just pick up some more before my next customer visit.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #772
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
BecinUK...we posted at the same time and I missed yours. Congratulations!! You are SMOKIN'!!

Vicki...I wanted to thank you for mentioning Napa leaves for sandwiches a while back. Perfect! I used to use romaine leaves and I would be a hot mess by the time I was done!

Abi...I had to eat more dairy than usual at MIL's to beat some cravings, too. I don't eat much cheese anymore, so it really was a treat!
Bama looks so sweet...I'm a cat person, but I'm all about the ears, and hers look velvety and delectable!! lol!
Glad the Napa worked for you. I bought some today, bring on the grilled burgers, hotdogs, and brats!

Gibby, where are you?

I have been hovering between 200-205, tired of doing this. Ready for action. I am not going to post until under 200.

Last edited by vli1127; 06-07-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #773
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
I'm here - hanging in there - still maintaining. Nothin new to report.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #774
Major LCF Poster!

So far so good today. No carb attacks. Breakfast was a protein shake, lunch was grilled chicken buffalo bites from Bojangles, another protein shake and slice of cheese for a snack, dinner was grilled chicken and a salad. Other than two cups of coffee with sf creamer (only one carb) with a little whip cream, not too shabby of a day!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #775

did not make it to shoprite. did not have fish.

i had an order of Happy Family (ATKINS-IZED), a small order of ribs. I wish i could sleep through until Friday. The next 2 days are gonna be brutal. Lotsa water. FF
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #776
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ncgirl, that is a good day...keep it up! :-)

marilee, good to see you...we talk mostly nonsense in here so don't feel you have to report something interesting in order to post...sheesh, i'm sure you were on the edge of your seat reading about the holes in my belt...LOL...

vicki, go stand in the corner!...we're not waiting to hear from you until you get to 200, so forget it...why should we be punished???... :-)

bec, thanks for the visual of you rummaging around the car looking for chocolate at 1 a.m....lol...
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #777
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am not thinking of it as punishment actually, I was thinking an incentive on my part Tony
Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #778
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah, but we're gonna miss you, vicki! :-(

just teasing - do what ya think will help you the most...we'll be here!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

Vicki, hoping you get a whoosh tonight and are under 200 by tomorrow, and then you will be posting again!

Just read Dr. Kruse's second blog post - "Why is Oprah so obese?" He is writing about Leptin resistance (the hormone that regulates all the other hormones) and it is way more complicated than I can really understand or explain. All I can figure out is that if you are leptin resistant you can't utilize your fuel and it is sent off to fat cells while our muscles are energy starved. His recommendation for breakfast :
"For most overweight paleo’s I want them loading up for breakfast. 50-75 gms is routine. Four egg omelettes with a serious side of bacon is how I roll my breakfast. On surgery days I make a killer coconut smoothie with raw eggs and coconut milk and heavy cream. You will never be hungry if you eat a breakfast like this. the biochemistry behind this recommendation is why……very detailed but I will post it at some point if people are interested."
Old 06-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #780
Major LCF Poster!

I am pleased to report that tempting cheddar biscuit only stalled me for one day, thankfully! Down another pound today and moving on! I have also been using protein powder for shakes the past week and can really tell a difference in the weight loss speeding up. Why I have never really gave these much thought to use I don't know, but it's working for me! My son is out of school now, going to be a junior in the fall, and told me yesterday he plans to play World of Warcraft until his laptop is smoking literally. Must be nice to be 16 again. Well, maybe not. I was pretty geeky. Anyways, hope everyone is having a great day. Congrats on any losses and sticking to plan
Closed Thread