Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #691
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Finally came across the info about too much protein becoming carbs. Someone posted a long quote from Barry Grove's book Eat Fat Get Thin from chapter 13.

"Too much protein turns into carbs..simply put. So..if a person only needed 60 grams of protein a day..but took in 120 grams of protein a day, then the extra 60 would be like eating 60 extra carbs..added to the other carbs they are eating.. say 30-40, then that would put them into the 90-100 carb a day area. Definately not a good thing for an average sized person, who doesn't run marathons."

I am not 100% sure this is true but am going to keep up with my experiment for awhile longer of 50 grams of protein a day.

Hope you are having a great Wed. Will check in later.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #692
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Happy June 1st Everyone!

A new month, a new morning, a new start! Yee haaa!!!

Well, I must confess to a few cave-ins over the holiday weekend! I got myself a kiddie-size pistachio ice cream cone, sooooo good, but next time I will oversee the scoop amount as this kiddie-size was way too generous! We also went out for Chinese food which include sushi so rice was involved. Then I also had turkey pepperoni which is such a no-no with the added sodium...so I am back on clean eating and Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues have seen me at Planet Fitness for 30 min elliptical and 30 min treadmill each session!

Abi - I totally agree with you on the protein "ceiling"...When I'm good, I am aiming for 70 gms and then the rest of my intake is low glycemic vegetables...well, that's the plan anyway for me....

Tony - ribs sounded awesome! That's my next fix and next door neighbor is doing a pig roast on the 11th so I will be in line!!!

Bec - good job on your goal-meeting!! Yay!

FF - Sounds like a nice walk, wow 3K, good for you! Why not stop and enjoy the Nathan's bunless hotdogs and a small amount of fries, get your FIX and then you'll have it behind you!

Hi to everyone else!!!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #693
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
I too have been to other sites that seem sort of judgemental. I love this site too!
I post regulary on one other thread and they are VERY supportive - very chatty too

I mean the world outside of LCF is very harsh....I love my safe place
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Marilee! I used to belong to a site that was not LCF and they would pretty much kick you off if you didn't eat the way they thought you should. Way too much pressure!

Nancy, four days in a row at Planet Fitness and starting the month with clean eating is great!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #695
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
so relieved to be back at work.

i needed the structure that the work day provides. i was at the podiatrist again today. my right little piggy (pinky toe) is 1/2 the size of the left one. So, he offered to shrink the others to match (ha ha ha). It would have been better off going "wee wee wee all the way home". he is still pursueing (on Craigslist)a treadmill for me. He knows he gets a free cheesecake if he succeeds. Tonight i am having a pan fried shell steak with sauted or stir fry veggies. in order to have a few more veggies, i did not have my tuna on low carb toast, esp cause i tried this low carb muffin (with buttah)at bkfst.(4 GR net). it looks small, but it was most satisfying. i must bring my diabetic (and low carb)jelly to enhance it even further. 1 tsp is all it needs. FF
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #696
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey guys, great to see y'all posting this morning...i was getting lonely...

abi, let me know if you are able to confirm the info on protein becoming carbs - i've never heard that before...it's very interesting and a bit alarming :-)

hi nanc, good to see ya...good job sticking with the exercise - it makes it easier to slip without paying a HEAVY price...lol...btw, there is a chance we will be in maine this saturday night...we have a cottage mid-coast and the kids want to open it up for the season...if we're around, i'm hoping to make it to the village...

hey marilee, happy to hear you have chatty, supportive friends all over the place :-)

ff, how did your pinky-toe shrink?...what is that muffin made from that it is only 4 grams, net carbs...i need to find me some of those! ;-)

good day again so far:
b: hb egg
l: hb egg
s: 6 walnut halves
d: salmon?

scale ain't moving in either direction, which lately is a blessing...lol...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #697

Doctor Goldman's Carb 1., Tony.

per serving (1/2 muffin, 6 to a package): 4 gr total/2 gr fiber. ergo: whole muffin is 8 gr total/4 gr fiber or 4 gr net per muffin. it has NO sugar, wheat, gluten, dairy,or transfat. I am consuming no more than 2 a week. So easy to eat all 6 at once. That is why they must stay in the office freezer. The label also says no refrigeration needed. The basic structure is almonds and egg whites-NO FLOUR.and it is NEW & IMPROVED. I think I might have even been content with OLD & MEDIOCRE. It is also pareve. That means if u observe the Jewish dietary laws, u may have it with meat or dairy. FF
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #698

appetite has risen again.

by the time i got home, i was starved, so i did not do any pan frying, or saute-ing. i heated up a humongous chicken breast after brushing on my bbq sauce concoction. Excellent!!! But that did not satiate me. i got an ATKINS-ized order of HAPPY FAMILY & Egg Fu Young. That put the kibosh on the appetite. I finished about 7:45pm. No more eats till the morrow. FF
Old 06-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #699
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, ff, can't believe you skipped the steak!...what you did eat sounds yummy, though!

i decided on marinated broiled chicken breasts - they were very good!...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Just checking in--super busy this week.

Have been eating well the last three days and the scale is inching down--I also haven't been drinking so all is good.

Now if I can just keep on track over the weekend, etc.--I'm pretty tired of seeing the same numbers so I think it's gonna stick this time.

I'll write more later. Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #701

i will enjoy the steak all the better this evening

i must get out this evening after dinner, even if it just to sit outside. the weather is gonna be cool, breezy, and less humid. It would be a sin not to be part of it. In what, Tony, do u marinate your chicken, and for how long? My bbq sauce concoction consists of only 2 ingredients: Walden Farms bbq sauce and chinese mustard. No specific ratios. Yesterday was about a 1:1 ratio. Then i nuked the bird for 3 minutes. Yummo!!! I am so grateful to you for the curfew suggestion. w/o it, i would be eating right up till i closed my eyes for the evening. I am making some attempt to increase the fat to protein ratio, as a % of protein WILL convert to glucose. My last fbg (fasting blood glucose was 109), which is high normal. But i want to get off meds someday, especially if whatever coverage i may have when i retire may not cover it 100% as my current union coverage does now. If I had to do it all over again, i should have chosen a job that required me to be more physically active. A friend of mine used to keep his weight down when he was out in the field reading meters for Con Edison. When he came inside to the office, he put on weight as a consequence of sitting down all day. and then did little or no walking, and less now that he is retired.I weighed in at 215 lbs when i first started here 30 years ago(and that was obese then!!!) Oh boy, i would love to get near there by year's end. Exercise IS the key. I hope i will be able to do more. FF
Old 06-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #702
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, those are very astute observations...i work in an office most of the time and it is pretty restrictive...i'm up and around here and there, but it's not the same as having an active job...

the marinade is applied by the butcher - not sure what is in it...it's not sweet and although i'm sure there is too much salt in it, it doesn't taste salty...i know one of the ingredients is lime juice but it isn't sour or bitter either, so ???...lol...

i ate too much of it last night - was really hungry when i got home, but stayed on plan...

i'm with you jenny (as usual) - i'm sick of seeing 209-210 on the scale every day, but i have to reduce my calories more to get the drop i want and even staying on plan, i am having trouble finding the will to eat even less than i am...i will get there as i really want to lose weight this month...i am at risk of the being the first blitz where i haven't lost weight...i was at 204 when this blitz V started, so i have a long way to go in 4 weeks!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #703
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Things are beginning to settle down here a bit. My dad is still in the hospital though. My grandfather (97 yr old) is here for a few more days and my oldest son is here for a couple of weeks. I am back on track too. Thank goodness and am getting into my summer routine/schedule.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #704
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yea, Vicki!!!!! Give my love to my brother and dad.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #705

i got lucky!!!

no...not in that way. I mean, on the scale. i was down 7 lbs this week. I did not starve myself, to be sure, nor did i do much exercise. But, i deserve it, anyway. I will walk my heinie off at the beach this weekend. Both days are rain free, at least for now. I will REALLY enjoy my steak tonight. FF
Old 06-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #706
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
no...not in that way. I mean, on the scale. i was down 7 lbs this week. I did not starve myself, to be sure, nor did i do much exercise. But, i deserve it, anyway. I will walk my heinie off at the beach this weekend. Both days are rain free, at least for now. I will REALLY enjoy my steak tonight. FF
Yea!!!!!! Good job!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

So FF, you also think a certain % of protein can convert to glucose? I am eating with that premise in mind but don't have the scientific mind to figure out if there are other factors that nullify the dangers of this?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

Posted too soon - lol FF, glad you are going to enjoy this cool weather. I love it myself. Don't like the heat and humidity even after spending many years in Alabama. Yeah for being down 7 pounds this week!!!!

Vicki, is your Dad showing some improvement? I sure hope so.

Jenny, good for 3 days of good eating. Wishing you the best for the weekend. Check in often and we will help you keep on track.

Tony, I am feeling more hungry lately too. Hard when this happens. I keep trying to fill up on 0 carb drinks but that doesn't always work.

Comcast has been working on our street today and computer has been up and down working and then not working. Hate that!

Have a good evening everyone!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #709
Blabbermouth!!!

Abi, my dad is finally having the surgery to place pins in the ankle. His insulin is stable and he is now on oral heart med to regulate it better. He hadn't been in too much pain. But, that will probably change after today's surgery.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #710

Vicki, i am sure the surgery will be fine.

i hope the post surgical period goes as smoothly as possible. That is the part that concerns me the most. I had the STEAK. After the chicken breast, 2 slices of muenster cheese (1 oz), 1/2 of a small bag of pork rinds...then the steak. I finished at a few minutes prior to 8 (30 minutes ago). I am also changing (as of yesterday)my official curfew time of 8pm. I was REALLY hungry. Oh, I also had a few celery sticks with the cow. I am fine now. FF
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #711
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

vicki, wishing a speedy recovery for your dad....and happy to hear you are back on track...
:-)

ff, a HUGE congrats on losing 7 lbs. this week...that must provide tremendous motivation to stay on track...i'm proud of you, brother...so, did you change your curfew from 9 to 8?...if so, good job!...

abi, looks the weather today is gonna be your kinda day!...enjoy it...

i had a good week, but not a great week...i'm guessing i'll be up a lb. or 2 when i climb on the scale this morning...i am going to implement a much stricter regimen for this week, starting today...i'm going to cut back the carbs to almost nothing the next few days, get some extra exercise in, cut back portions and drink a gallon of water per day and almost no salt...i need a jump start and i have been doing nothing but maintaining for too long...

it's time for me to get serious again!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #712

yes, tony, as of 6/1/11, curfew is 8 pm...

at least through October. It is do-able. I still find it incredible that for the last 2 or 3 days, my appetite exploded so exponentially, out of the blue. Well, tomorrow & Sunday, i will be at the beach. The weather is and will be quite cool for the beach, so i expect to freeze my knees. But it must be done. It is the only place i can walk w/o any sort of shoes. I can only hope that the cooler temperatures will not deter the skimpy bikinis from crowding the beach. Yes, the girls can come too (ha ha ha)!!!. FF
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, Tony, I am loving this weather! Your plan for the week sounds like you should see some positive results. Wishing you success!

My experiment of 20 carbs and 50 grams of protein is not doing anything yet. No change on the scales. Calories usually end up being 1200 as more than that ends up moving the other two numbers up. I am using the measuring tape at waist - that is the problem area and no change yet. Will keep this going a little longer.

Got to Mom's this morning to see lots of leftover Chinese food in fridge. When my sister gives me an afternoon and night off the family in the area usually stop for a visit with her and sometimes eat there. Thank goodness I missed that meal. The leftovers do not tempt me. It's when the food is hot and laid out on the kitchen table like a buffet that my willpower goes out the window.

FF, walking on the sand gives you a great workout. Enjoy your weekend but check in with us too! Earlier curfew sounds good.

Vicki, I missed the reason you Dad is having to have the pins put in his ankle. Did he fall and break it? My prayers are with him today that all goes well and the surgery is very successful!

Jenny, good luck over the weekend. Keep us posted!

This weekend is the big "Stolling of the Heifers" parade in Brattleboro, Vermont and all kinds of activites going on. This was started to help out the local farmers about 10 years ago and is quite charming to see the lovely Holstein cows parading down Main Street with wreathes of flowers around their necks. You can google it if you want to see some pictures.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #714
Blabbermouth!!!

Abi, he fell down the stairs due to low blood sugar two weeks ago today and fractured 3 ribs and his ankle.

What do you guys think of the new FDA MyPlate that replaces the food pyramid?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #715

i have re-evaluated the aforementioned low carb muffin

it doesn't taste all that great, at least not that flavor(hazelnut). it is filling enough, but loaded with soybean oil. I will finish out the pack that i had, but only buy them individually if available, and IF the only alternative is an off-plan choice. FF
Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Hi all,

FF - Congrats on your loss, that's great news!

Vicki - Hope your Dad fares well! Hope the post-op pain is manageable!

The new "PLATE" gosh, it's a bit better than the pyramind I think. ...my plate would have a larger segment of veg (low glycemic), same size protein, NO grain, no cow dairy, and real small fruit segment if any!

The grain is such a big segment on the plate because of the Conagra's, the government subsidies, the lobbyists - think about it. A huge industry pumping out white bread/ pasta/cookies/crackers/chips/cereals/carbcrap!!!!

The plate is kind of vague because the veg could mean french fries, potatoes, corn, peas, beets, fried onion rings....the dairy could mean ice cream, the fruit & grain could mean Fruit Loops cereal.....should be interesting!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #717
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
What do you guys think of the new FDA MyPlate that replaces the food pyramid?
This is the first I've heard of it. What is it like?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #718
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh Vicki and Marilee, that is so awful. Poor man.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #719

i do not give a flying fava bean how the feds re-invent

nutritional requirements. it is totally irrelevant to me. For me, the ideal nutritional plate consists of a cow and a broccoli floret. FF
Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #720
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
nutritional requirements. it is totally irrelevant to me. For me, the ideal nutritional plate consists of a cow and a broccoli floret. FF
I'm with you, ff! I looked at the new plate and it still has too many carbs in it for me!
Closed Thread