Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #631
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks go Gibby and Tony for the prayers.

Abi, luck is on its way.

FF, come on, you can get back on the wagon.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #632
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
well, i got the web back

however i only have 1.5 of the little boxes in the upper right of the screen, and no scrolling arrows. i have tried 1/2 dozen remedies. nothing works. also, i have no e-mail. so, Luciano is coming back tomorrow (for a minimum of $75.00. ) in order to "work" this site it is in letterbox format.ff
Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm here--

I'm in exactly the same place--not gaining, not losing--up about 6-8 pounds from my Blitz low (just like Tony!) and trying to muster the inspiration to take off the last 20-30lbs.

I am eating on plan most of the time, but probably too much--drinking wine but keeping quanity down, and indulging about once in week in something I shouldn't (popcorn is the most common culprit) I guess that's my maintience plan cuz I'm holding steady--but I'm not happy at this weight.

So, I am ready to get on board and serious. I think I need to devise a new plan and set off rules for myself--will get back to you on that one...

Hold strong everyone--we can do this together!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Good night, my friends. I probably won't be on the computer tonight.

Pleasant dreams.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #635
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
47 carbs and 1500 cals for the day.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #636
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
nite, marilee!...

vicki, awesome job...you're doin' great!...

ff, if it wasn't costing you so much, those computer problems would almost be funny...so, what kind of a night are you having, bro...mine was pretty good...ate the steak and avoided the ravioli...not an easy task for someone whose name ends in a vowel...lol...

hey sis, sorry you're going through the same thing i am - we will get through this phase and on to the next - no doubt...and it's a lot easier facing this battle with this great group of friends here...let me know what you decide on for a plan once you figure it out...i'm looking for ideas :-)

i think i'm gonna tweak mine to include some elements of
kbeth's paleo plan, which i think means cutting out as much food as possible that requires machinery to produce...

hang in here with me, kid...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #637

well, the day is beginning well. I most certainly DID

pay a visit to THE COFFEE TRUCK. But, I limited it to one ice coffee, and 2 cans diet coke. I think i got all I wanted from the pastry selection. Even if i ordered the same things as yesterday, they would only taste AS good, not better. I have my memories, I do not need the add'l sugar. Sometimes, the answer is cold turkey, sometimes, a gradual withdrawal. What is the reason for the VEGAS trip, Vicki? Because i have not had a real vacation for over 15 years.It will be, if i can go, a SANITY SAVER. I am hoping to meet with other low carbers who might live in and around VEGAS. That would be lovely. FF
Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #638
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i'm proud of you, bro...one meal, one snack, one good choice at a time...

yesterday, i had my best day since i got back from houston - i almost forgot how GOOD i was the week before last when i was there!...completely on plan and lost 4-5 lbs...i have just been in a rut at home and part of the problem was letting the junk into the house in the first place...

one issue i want to raise - when i started the first blitz i was only weighing once a week, and i couldn't bear the idea of a daily weigh-in, but once i started it, i believe that the daily weigh-in has made a huge difference in the success i have had...it not only holds me accountable immediately for any transgressions (i know i am going to see the impact of my actions on the scale in the morning) but it has helped me to learn what the results will be of the choices i make, so that before i put that thing in my mouth, i know exactly what it will cost me on the scale in the next day or two...

it has actually gotten to the point that i know my weight BEFORE i climb on the scale each day...i think that is a good thing...i now can see that my aversion to the scale was an aversion to my own accountability...the scale doesn't only bring bad news, it brings positive reinforcement when we behave...i have found that when i am reluctant to climb on it, it is because i don't want to see the effects of my poor food choices...just something for all of us to think about...

i'm feeling strong again this morning thanks to you guys...let's all have a good day!...

Last edited by tony8; 05-26-2011 at 05:33 AM..
Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #639
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
I lucked out last night and the gang ordered pizza. Although it smelled good I wasn't tempted like I would have with chinese.

Jenny, good to hear from you. Don't feel alone on the gaining from the Blitz low. There are several of us in the same predicament. But we are all determined to make a fresh start and get a plan that will work for us.

Glad you are feeling strong today Tony. Wishing that feeling for everyone here. I agree on the weighing every day. If I didn't, things would get so far out of hand I would have a very difficult time trying to get back where I started. It's hard enough with the weighing every day to keep things in check.

Boy FF, no vacation in 15 years! You certainly deserve one. It would be so great if you can get together with other lowcarbers out in Vegas!

Vicki, good day yesterday with the 47 carbs and 1500 calories! I forgot to check my calories on ****** I was so busy checking fat, protein and carb numbers!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #640
Major LCF Poster!

abi, good job staying away from the pizza and i know what you mean about the chinese...so tasty and so darn salty - even the LC stuff...

the weekly or occasional weigh-in gave me too much leeway and the gains were much more discouraging because they usually were bigger than any daily variation might be...i also didn't have the perspective that the daily changes give me...i mean i have gained 3 lbs in one day and lost it the next - mostly water - but if that gain happened to show up on the weekly weigh-in day, i would get discouraged...

now i can see if it took me 2 days to gain it, i can lose it with 2 good days and that gives me hope and keeps me from straying too much...
Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #641

LAETITIA RECUPERATIONIS...joy of recovery!!!

I cannot believe how better i feel in just the few hours we spoke last. The serenity is back. I have girded my loins for the scale shock at high noon. but, i know now I will be able to knock that off plus more before this Blitz is over. It is strange, that regardless of all the strategies, and techniques I had at my disposal to prevent or minimize this dietary apostacy i recently experienced, it happened anyway. so, i shrugged it off, and allowed myself to be less than perfect. Sometimes, that is all we can do. I believe i will also do some walking this evening. And tomorrow, after dinner, I am going to sit outside with some ice water and read. No walkman, as i must compete with traffic noise, and my hearing is, i regret to say, noticibly compromised. FF
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #642
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
FF...Aaah, serenity and self-acceptance. Nice.

vicki...Way to stay on plan, even during such a stressful time! When going thru tough times, I try to remind myself how much better I'll feel and how I'll be able to handle things more calmly if I keep my blood sugar stable. Sorry you're going through all of this.
I did want to thank you for giving me the idea of using Napa as sandwich buns. I always use Romaine and it's a horrible mess by the time I'm through! I love Napa, can't wait to try it.

tony...Oh yeah. The right frame of mind is everything.
By now I pretty much know what works and what doesn't. Again, it's just making the right choice at the moment. I know it's just a mind game, but still; doing research into a healthy plan (whatever it may be) getting a new book about a plan I believe in gets me excited to learn more and to follow it. That sentence didn't make much sense But, my point: After reading about Paleo, it made so much sense to me, that I actually had ENTHUSIASM about getting with it!! And if it's "lack of desire to stick to any plan" perhaps really researching a plan and buying yourself a shiny new book will spark your drive. Silly perhaps, but as a long time LCer, it's helped me.
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Hey all,

Vicki - sorry for your sad days and hope your Dad is ok after hospital visit! Yes, tough times may open the door for bad food choices, but stick to your guns as best you can!

Tony - Me too I am weighing just about every day, but if I've gone off the reservation, I work to get back on track and give myself a couple of days of not weighing. BTW, June 4th is 111 Village Square night for Souled Out Show, that great dance band -- so if you can join us, lemme know!

FF - oh I could hug you, it is heartening to hear you get the ship pointed in the right direction again! We are all so rooting for you and eagerly await for you to report that you're losing again!

Abigale, good job on avoiding the pizza..you can always pick off the top goodie layer and leave the dough, yanno!

Kbeth, yeah, there's a lot of good things about the Paleo diet, I think I am already on it about 90%, all my groceries come from the perimeter (except for coffee/tea)...

OK kids, I just want to say that hubby got on scale this morning and drum roll, hit 200. He was really happy, he had been in the 203=207 range for so long. He is at "fighting weight"....NO WAY WILL I TELL HIM that he & I are at virtually same weight, this morning I was 199.5.

SO this is the third time I have dipped below 200 and then climbed 1 or 2 over, and I must slam that door shut and move downward. Not to self: QUIT F-ING AROUND and get going! We are likely going to England in the fall to see hubby's relatives and I must be jaw-droppin' lookin' good!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #644
Major LCF Poster!

hi everyone!

ff, i am so happy you are finding a healthy groove again - to be honest, while i've been slip-sliding these past 14 months to somehow lose 40 lbs., i was starting to believe you were not "hewmon", you seemed to be so focused and not weakening at all...but alas, maybe your mother was hewmon and your dad was ferenghi and you know what they say about ferenghi men...LOL...just remember, one good choice at a time - that's all it will take for us to get moving in the right direction...

kbeth, thanks for the idea - i think i'll take your advice and read up some more on paleo...i do like to learn about different plans and incorporate pieces of those that make sense to me and paleo makes sense to me...thanks, sis...

nancy, i will keep june 4th in mind...i'm not much of a dancer but could have some fun watching you and your hubby jump around...lol...congrats on sticking around the 199 number...i weighed in at 209 this morning, and although i'm down a lb. from the day before, i'm 10 lbs. behind you now and i used to be ahead of you, so you and abi win the nh discipline contest...btw, i was never known for following rules...lol...

still feeling strong...will eat light today and sensibly tonight...it's getting a bit easier the last couple of days...
Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #645

snatching victory from the jaws of defeat (these feet)

i just found out about a gym called Planet Fitness. I do not know how widespread they are, but there are several locations in my neck of the woods. AND...AND...AND they are only $10.00 a month, and 24 hrs a day 4 days a week. So, i will have no problem getting there after work. I will finally be able to do some resistance (weight)training. It will ease the monotony of just walking. Information is king. I put on an add'l 4.6 lbs this week. From here on in, the numbers will get smaller, the scale, and the waistline. I am still 60 lbs down, and that is an accomplishment. Also, i still feel great, and i know I will feel even better after a workout. I am excited!!! FF
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #646
Senior LCF Member

FF - I love going to our local Planet Fitness. It really is a judgment-free zone and once you start going, it'll be part of your life and you won't want to go without it for a few days. You can ask for a lesson on the equipment where the staff person will show you how to adjust seat height and weights, and number of reps, etc. They usually recommend 5 min warmup on the treadmill and then do the weights...then you can always come back and do more treadmill or whatever to burn off some calories...go for it!

Tony - hope you can join us on 6/4...come for a Cobb Salad, you don't have to dance! It's like a 9-pc. band with horns and everything, they are all "our age."
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #647
Major LCF Poster!

omg, horns?...will my country songwriting sensibilities be able to take it?...just teasing - it sounds like fun...how do they fit a 9-pc band in there?...what time do u guys get there?

ff, you da man!...planet fitness is one of our tenants in the building next door - great place...you'll be a skinny-minnie in no time, with big muscles to boot!...60 lbs. is great and 50% more than i've lost during the same period - you should feel good about yourself...or bad about me! <gulp> i say feel good about yourself!...

my good day has lasted all day so far and it's 4:17...yea!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #648
Senior LCF Member

Tony - we'd try to be there by 8 so we can relax, chill, chat, have a beverage and order dinner. Music comes on around 9:15 ish. Will contact you as we get closer to the date on it.

Hey all, in the Journals section is a 5/26 post from Pauline of "Ta Da's Lifelong Journey." It's blunt, but blunt is good! Enjoy!!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #649
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Wow. Just read TaDa's entry. Seriously good stuff, LIVE FREE NH.
If you're looking for it and can't find it, it's under Inspiration and Wisdom in the Weightloss Journals. I encourage you to go there.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #650

happy to have y'all back in my flat once again

Luciano did but appear, and the electrons humbled themselves to his hearkening. The boxes are back, as are the scrolling arrows, and the e-mail. $75.00 for less than 5 minutes work...better than what a Dr. makes. I must concede that this computer has helped, when it was working, to keep me from the kitchen, both geographically and mentally. Tomorrow, I will install my new ink toners for the printer. Miraculously, that I know how to do. i will have to find a t shirt that fits for my sea-side sally-ing. if i have no clean ones, i will have to spend yet more money. But, i am pleased with today's performance...food wise. FF
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #651
Major LCF Poster!

that was a good post and oh, so true...thanks for pointing me there, girls...

nancy, hope the kids don't have something going on that night - looking forward to meeting you guys!

had a good night...roast chicken tonight after a good day...hope everyone else is having a good night too!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #652
Major LCF Poster!

Had another good day yesterday without falling off the wagon. Had a cup of decaf with cream and coconut oil in the evening at Mom's when the cravings started to rear their ugly heads and if quieted them down.

Beth, reading a new book or about other plans that are working for others gets me excited and builds up my enthusiasm too. I am always looking for the magic bullet that will work for me to get the extra fat off.

FF, that is so neat that Planet Fitness can be worked into your routine and at $10.00 a month that is so reasonable. Glad Luciano got the bugs worked out of computer!

Tony, I kept playing your words to FF over in my head yesterday that you were going to be strong for him. I think they will help keep me from falling off the wagon next time. I need to keep in mind that if I do it only can discourage the rest of the gang here. Need to keep strong for you all.

Nancy, I read Pauline's journal on May 26th. Very good. Thanks!

Vicki, how did your day go yesterday?

Everyone have a great Friday and I will talk to you later!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #653

1st day back went quite well.

thanks for all your support. Looking forward to beach walks this weekend. gives me a great opportunity to reflect.(no, i am not wearing a mirror) i intend to get there before 9 a.m., before it gets too crowded. i might even get in a walk this evening, if there is no rain. But even sitting outside is better than staying upstairs in a hot apartment. I kept to my curfew, even though i was hungry to a degree...but not enough to break curfew.Right now i feel like 2 cheeseburgers with a sunny-side egg on each. if i order it for delivery, it will not be as good as i make it. so, i will schedule that for the weekend. FF
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #654
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, abi...i feel the same way...i find strength when i realize that i am doing this for more than just me - i am on a journey with a group of good friends and when i do well, it helps them do well...

ff, i'm proud of you buddy...i know first hand how tough the first few days back can be...stay strong, i'm doin' it with ya, bro...let's have a great weekend together...

i feel SO MUCH BETTER this morning after two good days in a row!...there is no comparison in the way i feel when i behave well...those few moments of tastiness when the food is in my mouth is such a small benefit compared to what it costs me in both how i feel and how i look...I'M BACK!...

keeping the bad stuff out of the house, and plenty of good stuff in it is half the battle...don't know how i got away from that strategy???...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #655
Major LCF Poster!

Years ago I went to Overeaters Anonymous and one of their great slogans was

"Nothing tastes as good as abstinance feels!"
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #656
Major LCF Poster!

i love that slogan, abi!...it is so true...we have to tell ourselves that before we put the food in our mouths!...lol...

sometimes it is just getting back to basics - over these past 14 months, i have found and employed so many little strategies that worked and were easy to stick to, but i guess they didn't become ingrained habits and i forgot about them here and there...i have to make a list of them and get back to using them - simple things like eating more slowly, using smaller plates, chewing longer, drinking lots of water, etc...they all made a difference when i used them...

well, the scale said i dropped 2 lbs. this week so i am back at 209...i don't plan to see 210 again in my lifetime, but then again, i thought that in march too!...lol...it takes more than saying it - and i am going to make sure of it this time...

my clothes fit more loosely this morning - amazing the difference 2 measly pounds can make sometimes... :-)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #657
Major LCF Poster!

today's menu:

b: 2 oz. broiled chicken
l: 1 greenish banana :-)
d: ribs

exercise: round of golf with my son and his friend...should be a great day!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #658

a query:

what particular food would u love to sample, which just cannot be tweaked to a low carb version? For me, it is NATHANS FRENCH FRIES. Yes they deserve to be in capitals. No one makes it like them. However, strategy is called for. I must wait until I am making sufficient progress (probably around Labor Day Weekend), and only if i work out intensely afterwards until the carbs are burned off. I will get 2 or 3 franks (no buns) with some kraut, plus a large order of fries oozing in ketchup, and a large diet coke with which to wash it down. it will have to be consumed on the boardwalk in Coney Island, as ambience is a significant part of the experience. I think i will be able to manage it by then, without going off the deep end. I believe that if u are truly in control, a planned indulgence (not a cheat)can even be a benefit. Because when u have enjoyed it, and u are going back to plan, u stop and realize "i can STILL eat like a king on my plan", & stay on it. I learned the hard way that sometimes you have to yield to circumstances beyond your control, like 2010 Christmas dinner, which in spite of all my planning, and forethought was 98% starchy carb. It was delicious. i did what I could, like keeping portions small. So, if u CAN control it, I believe than an occasional goodie is not the worst thing that can happen. FF
Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #659
Major LCF Poster!

i agree 100% with you, ff...when you absolutely have to have it, you should have it...i'll have to think a bit before i answer your question, but Five Guys cajun fries come to mind - no Nathan's here...lol

my ribs are in the oven, slow-cooking, smelling delicious!...can't wait!

Last edited by tony8; 05-27-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #660
Major LCF Poster!

Ice cream and chocolate fudge ( the old fashioned kind, sort of hard and grainy) would be my choices.

Now I have to try to get those pictures out of my mind, FF. Lol

Last edited by Abigale; 05-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Closed Thread