Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
The World Cuisine Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Slicer.
Thanks. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it. I bought a bunch of vegies shopping the other day. I'm planning cole slaw (with purple cabbage and carrots), roasted brussel sprouts and sweet vidalia onions, and a big stirfry of fresh vegies for the week to go with the roast. I am still up to my eyebrows in work this week (in fact, taking a lunch breaking while working today), so I'll probably try to prep and make most of that tonight.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Oh Beth, I cannot tell you how many times I have done just the same thing. It is so aggravating. We know your thoughts were with us!

Thanks for the info Vicki! I googled it and that white spiral vegetable in the picture is just how I remember the radishes looking! Sure brought back memories. You are going to have such fun with it.

I know it sounds strange about the excess protein going to fat Tony. I am repeating what some bloggers have said and don't have a real scientific quote. If I come across one I will let you know. It would explain why at times I have eaten zero carbs but still can't get rid of some excess fat.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #603
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am done eating for the day and I tracked everything on ******. Total cals. 1627; carbs 64.7. Not too bad. The highest carb item was a banana.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
congrats vicki...this is the way to do it - one day at a time... :-)
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #605
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
well, kbeth...i suffer from ffs...fat finger syndrome.

i am always hitting two keys at once, and i sabotage my own posts. ffs has also put ther kibosh on a concert pianist career. It aint easy being me.
FF
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #606

anniversary dinner went very well;

no anniversary cake. the guy with whom i arranged it dissappeared. they did not want dessert anyway. i had the spinach, and filet of sole. i gave the potato puff to my sister in law to take home. I had one glass of wine, coffee and a little antipasto, and 3 mussels. Not bad. AND, it was perfectly satisfying. when I am dining with others, I am, happy with less. when i am eating alone, i eat by the shovelful. The good news is that there is a greater probability that i will be going to Vegas (the city, not the diner)on Dec 26, 2011 than I had anticipitated. I just have to stay on plan, and cough up some $$$ for the plane fare and some spending $$$. i already have where to stay. So, let us see what i can do in 6 months time. FF
Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #607
Major LCF Poster!

Relieved to hear that daughter, son-in-law and 4 grandchildren are ok after the Joplin, Missouri tornado yesterday. They live in Carl Junction (almost a suburb of Joplin it is so close) and do alot of shopping there. Hoping they find all their friends are ok.

FF, I also can be a very moderate eater with others and then when alone.......
What fun to plan a trip to Vegas and good incentive for the next 6 months to stay on track. How is the home computer working?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #608

i still do not have it back. And these viruses are costing me oodles.

He is bringing it back on tues about 8 pm. I must say i am very excited. the bigfger challenge, will NOT be staying on plan, but putting away non existant savings. I am going to out COSTANZA
Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #609

cont'd (ffs)

I am going to have to out COSTANZA Costanza in the "being very careful with money" dept. If i want Porterhouse, someone else better be paying for it. FF
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #610
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Good morning, everyone! Sorry I was MIA this weekend. I purchased a new computer so I took it and the old one to Staples so they could transfer my files. My friend will hook it up for me this week.

No weight loss, but no gain either. I start the maintenance phase tomorrow. So far this round, which started on 4/30, I'm down 11 pounds so I'm not going to complain too much. Next drive for weight loss will be 6/15.

My 97 year old father is coming in on Friday after work. Can't wait to see him and just hang out. He has blood sugar issues so eating my way will be just fine for him.

Better get to work - talk to you later!

Tammy - where are you?

Marilee
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Hello all,

Congrats Marilee, you're chipping away at it! How nice you still have your Dad, wow! 97!

Abigale, glad your family members are ok. Gosh, my heart is just breaking just looking at the devastation.....

FF - good job on the dinner out!

LC - smart planning doing all the prep and cooking ahead! I get so bogged down with all the chopping/slicing, etc. when I prep our dinner and our next day lunch salads. I could use a prep chef!

Tony - sounds like you had a pleasant dinner out! We enjoyed Hanover St. Chop House, luckily I had $30 in vouchers from complaining the last time we were there 2 years ago, and we split the bill. Nice joint. Overpriced. The guys had themselves big 24oz "Cowboy Steaks" which are huge French-cut delmonico's. Just one was $46 freaking bucks. I had the cesear salad, salmon and braised red cabbage, and left the fingerling potatoes on my plate. The other lady had scallops. Anyway, atwo bottles of wine, and then we had a few beers at the show afterwards. (and Friday night I had a lobster and a couple of crabmeat stuffed mushrooms and 2-3 glasses of wine).

Well, back to the grind today...and seriously back to the on-plan eating and exercise as much as I can.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #612
Major LCF Poster!

happy monday, my friends!...happy to see so many of you up and posting...

abi, so happy to hear your family is okay - the devastation these past few weeks is just horrible...my daughter is moving to nashville next month and i'll be worrying constantly...

ff, congrats on behaving at dinner - you da man!...i would definitely look into having some anti-virus software installed on your computer to fend off these problems in the future...if you have high speed cable or dsl, your internet service provider often has free protection you can download...git er done, bro...

marilee, that is so awesome that your 97-year-old dad can come to visit you!...good for both of you...best of luck with your new computer, as well as with the maintenance phase of your plan...

nancy, so the chop house is overpriced?...i mean i've never paid $46 for a steak, but then again, i've never ordered or even seen a 24-ounce ribeye...lol...i bet it was good!...is it the kind of place that you have to pay $12 extra for a side of broccoli?...

well, it is definitely a new week and time to get serious again...i was at 209 this morning but i feel fatter and i should...i've been rather undisciplined for awhile now...not terrible, just not good, if ya know what i mean...i have kept up with the exercise routine and that has helped...

i know what i need to do, and now i just have to DO IT! :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #613

i DO have anti-virus software....

but they get through anyway. i do not download anything. i use it for browsing and e-mails only. how do they make it thru? FF
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
but they get through anyway. i do not download anything. i use it for browsing and e-mails only. how do they make it thru? FF
It's a HEWMON conspiracy, I tell youl!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #615
Blabbermouth!!!

Congrats Gibby, 11 lbs is awesome.

19.9 grams of carbs today, wahoo. I was at my son's relay and was so tempted to buy popcorn but all I bought was a Diet Coke.

Family health issues are in the works. Fiance's mother is still hanging on. My dad is in ICU for numerous reasons. Not sure I like this phase of adulthood.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #616
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
LiveFree, prepping and pre-cooking is the only way I get through a work week unscathed. I work for people who, honest to God, have never heard of planning anything, so my work week is always a cross between standing in the outfield with a catcher's mitt and sleeping in your fireman's outfit, ready to slide down the pole at 4AM. You just gotta be ready for anything.

I ended up cooking my roast (a bottom round roast -- new type for me) with mushrooms, onions, turnips and rosemary. Just used water with the juices naturally produced by the meat and the strong flavors of the vegies to make the stock/gravy it cooked in. It came out absolutely delicious.

FF, I have a black belt in cheap eats. You can do it! And even eat real healthy LC food. Vegas, baby!

Abigale, glad to hear your relatives are okay. The tornado season has been insane this year. We had 69 touch down in one night here in NC back in April. And we aren't even in the tornado belt. I have very dear friends in Kansas and I send prayers for them all the time.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #617
Major LCF Poster!

vicki, so sorry to hear about the family health issues - they are a huge heartache for sure...congrats on staying strong around the popcorn...wish i was better at that!...

hi shadows, everything sounds great, except for the turnips - am i the only person who hates turnips???...lol...everyone i know seems to love them...

ff, i don't know what you have for virus protection, but i have norton security suite, which is free through comcast, and it does an automatic daily scan and resolves problems without my involvement...which is the way i like it...

i had a decent day yesterday...my downfall has been my nights...i may not be eating enough during the day but i have been way too hungry at night...have strayed from my curfew a bit too and will start being strict about that today...

i think i was taking the losses for granted and when i got close to 1derland, i got sloppy...i need to re-discipline myself and that is what i am going to do...

hope everyone has a great tuesday...
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #618
Major LCF Poster!

I have had a good day so far and hope it will continue. I too have been very sloppy and the scale is going up. I am going to try to keep the protein to no more than 50 grams and carbs at 20. The rest will be in fats. I am used to eating unlimited protein so don't know how this will work. Today so far I have had

66% fat at 42 grams
30% protein at 25 grams
4% carbs at 6 grams

Food has been 4 slices of bacon
one hard boiled egg
1 tablespoon homemade mayo
4 chicken livers cooked in bacon grease
1/4 cup heavy cream in cups of coffee

Don't know what I am having for dinner yet.

Hope your day is going well!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #619
Blabbermouth!!!

Abigale, I am glad someone likes chicken livers!

FF, what is the occasion for the Vegas trip?

Tony, have you ever tried ******? It hasn't been too bad. I think once I go through a couple of weeks, picking the foods and adding to the list won't be too bad. Some foods I have to customize since they aren't in their bank.

Supper was delish: Sofia Loren chicken, Mock potato pancakes and son had strawberries. Yummy. Total: 1400 cals, 39 carbs
Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #620

i regret to say that the old eating patterns re-surfacing.

it is a bad reaction to financial, technological and transportation disasters hitting me simultaneously. I have a 4 day weekend coming up. 3 of which i have to myself. I am hoping that at least enough non-rainy hours will be available to me, to do my seaside walks. But Wed thru Fri are gonna be rough. Plus, when i went to pay for my coffee and its friends this a.m., i noticed i did not have my wallet. I did have a roll of quarters though. I hope it will all be resolved (the eating, i mean)by Friday's end. FF
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #621
Major LCF Poster!

Finished the day yesterday pretty well. Did not get into the nuts which was a real challenge. For dinner had another hard boiled egg with tablespoon of homemade mayo and a cup of coffee with cream with a tablespoon of coconut oil. So managed to keep protein under 50 grams, carbs were 14 grams and fat 75 grams total for the day. Did not feel hungry so will keep to same foods today.

Son-in-law said tornado sirens went off again last night but nothing touched down. Very sad stories coming out afew at a time. I am sooo greatful my family is safe.

Vicki, ****** is really such a big help seeing everything layed out before you so you can make the best decisions don't you think?

Tony, I wish I could program myself to be disciplined. I can go several days and everything seems easy and then go a week where I can't keep to my plan at all. At least I finally learned after many years to not get into the sweet tasting stuff again. I have convinced myself it is poison for me. Now the nuts are another story.

FF, I feel for you. I react the same way to these same disasters. I hope too that the weather will cooperate with you for the long weekend so you can get out and walk away some of your stress. Keep checking in with us during your days off and we will try to get your mind off the negatives!

Speaking of negatives, I have recently bought an Oster stick blender to make my own mayo. I figured out after the first batch that regular olive oil was too bitter and strong so made the next few batches with light olive oil. Well without paying attention the batch I made this week I had grabbed the extra vigin olive oil - yuck. Not wanting to waste an egg and 300 ml of oil I tried to "fix" it to make it palatable. Added some chopped dill pickle, some green olives, tried a little horse radish - nothing helped until I added Tobasco Green Pepper Sauce. Not bad. At least it will allow me to finish up this bad batch.

Talk to you all later!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #622
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i've been struggling lately too...i think we hit or came close to hitting milestones (2dorland, 1derland, etc.) and may have looked at how long the journey had been and how much further we still had to go...i think this may have contributed to this recent stall/gain pattern...

i am drawing a line in the sand right here and am going to find the strength and discipline to beat this and start progressing toward my goal again...i want to help you to do the same thing...remember, this is all about one good choice at a time...let's get back to what we know how to do, brother...

i'm not gonna let you slip back any further...let's do this together...if you think talking might help, send me your number again - i lost it - and a good time to call and i will do that...we've come too far and are not gonna spend the next 6 months gaining and the year after that losing what we gained...not this time...okay?...let's make a pact... :-)

abi, what is the deal with extra virgin olive oil and its bitterness?...why is it so much more expensive or "desirable" in cooking?...i use the light all the time now...

vicki, with my personality it is hard for me to follow a plan someone else designed...i will check out ****** though since you and abi think highly of it...thanks and btw, i am very proud of you for not giving up when you easily could have...you are inspiring me now, kid...

had a pretty good day yesterday...went shopping and did not pick up one piece of junk...that's the first step - keeping it out of the house....got back to curfew last night, so no late night "treats"...my clothes fit a little tighter yesterday so i know this is a critical moment, and i know the choice i am going to make...

thanks for being here guys!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
tony...I love that you are reaching out to FF at this "critical moment." It would be sooo easy to just say to heck with it and go back to how you used to eat. I get how adverse you are to following a specific plan...but if you give it a shot and start getting some momentum, it makes it much more tolerable, and even enjoyable! (just a thought, and I don't want to be bossy. I do so much better when I am on-plan. There are guidelines. You eat this. You don't eat that. And if you follow it, it actually works!! Aaand, you don't have to be so strict forever)
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #624
Major LCF Poster!

kbeth, please don't ever feel that you have to be careful with what you say to me...i appreciate immensely that you care enough to help me...and i agree 100% that this works best when we are on a plan...i had been following a plan i designed for myself that works pretty well when i stay on it and i stayed on it more or less for a year...my problem for the past couple of months has been a lack of desire to stick to any plan...i have not strayed completely, but i've been in a place where i only want to be good enough not to gain too much...i'm in a self-appointed maintenance phase that has helped me gain 6-8 lbs. above my all-blitz low...

but i am feeling those 6-8 lbs. and i think that is the motivation i need to get back on the wagon and stay there for awhile...having lost 40 lbs., my calories had to be cut even more to lose and i think that discouraged me...maybe that is working on ff too, but i like my plan and can stick to it when i'm in the right frame of mind...does that make sense?...

i love ya, sis :-)

speaking of sisters, i'm hoping jenny isn't going through something similar, as is usually the case with us....lol...oh jenny?... :-)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #625
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone....just checking in.

I've been on maintenance now for 2 days and haven't gained so I'm staying strong. After this 3 weeks is over, I can start my hcg drops again. I should be in the 280's by the end of next month - hallelujah!

For those of you struggling, I understand....I blew it a little last round of drops and it showed up on the scale. I should have lost more than I did. Oh, well, we learn through these trials. I found that the "old me" would have blown it a lot more than I actually did, so maybe something is sinking in!

Vicki-sorry about fiance's mother's death and I hope your dad (my brother!!!) gets out of the hospital soon. I understand surgery is Thursday. Appreciate everyone's prayers.

Must get to work.....
Old 05-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Tony, I am not an olive oil expert at all. Don't know why it is so expensive either and if it is any better than the light. I used to keep the extra virgin on hand to make my own salad dressing. Had to get used to the taste even then but finally did. For cooking I usually use butter. But making the mayo - light is the way to go.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #627

"the right frame of mind", Tony8... that's the ticket.

i am in a more serene mood at this moment, and thanks to the structure of the work day, i am quite content with the liquids (seltzer, black coffee, and Canfields diet choc soda). Tonight, i will try to edge closer to correct plan eating, and will most certainly NOT break curfew. Sometimes, i have to exercise (not exorcise)my demons. I know I cannot go to Vegas, unless I knock off considerable lbs. I will ONLY go if i am closer to 200 than 300. I have 6 months to do it. However, time slips by too imperceptibly. So, i shall make every effort to ease my way back, back, back, before the Memorial Day weekend begins. FF
Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #628
Major LCF Poster!

Yea for serenity FF! Best wishes for tonight!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #629
Major LCF Poster!

vicki, sorry to hear about your fiance's mom and hope your dad is better soon...

marilee, you have been so great all these months - your steadiness has definitely been an inspiration to me...keep up the great work...

abi, i don't know if that bitter taste is neutralized when you heat it or not, but it is yucky right out of the bottle...lol...

ff, happy you are feeling more serene...we are not giving up these losses - no way!...the fact that you are struggling with me is making me feel stronger and giving me more resolve...let's do this, brother!...we both have 10-? lbs. to go to get to the next lower century - WE ARE GETTING THERE BY THE END OF JUNE OR JULY...let's go!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #630
Major LCF Poster!

Just ate dinner and am on the way back to Mom's to get her ready for bed. One of my brothers should be there when I get back over to Vermont. He and one son drove up from home in Marietta, GA and should have arrived at Mom's by 5. I just hope they didn't order out for chinese food for who ever from the family has showed up to say "hi". I could be in some serious trouble. Wish me luck! Not feeling strong yet!
Closed Thread