Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #571
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/225.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
i'm with ya, ff...can't explain it, but after a great start to the evening, i fell completely off the horse last night...no excuses...i feel yucky this morning and will try to flush myself with water all day to rid me of my sins...

after almost 14 months, you would think i'd be beyond this...okay, back in the saddle - i am going to limit this to one bad night :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #572
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Tony, you are such a good example. Hang in there.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #573
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
WE WILL hang in there.

i am actually looking forward to weigh-in. at least i will be able to QUANTIFY(i love using that word)the 'damage'. FF
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
WTH??
I did it, too. I had been leading up to it the last few days with assorted illegal bites of this and that. I am oddly relieved now, like I had a bender and now it's out of my system.
I am just going to go with FF's "these things happen."

B: HB eggs
S: broc and chicken
L: broc and chicken
S: nuts
D: red meat and green veg of some sort

No guilt, no punishment, gang. This is part of life. And generally speaking, we all eat soo much more healthfully than we used to, right? Right.
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #575
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks for the support, guys!...i needed that...lol...

absolutely no guilt or punishment...for me, it's bewilderment, but i think sometimes we just need to give in a little - to make a "bad" choice, because we are free people and want to feel in control...

think about it: we watch skinny people eating junk food constantly - it's only natural for us to want to be able to eat it once in a while if we decide to make that choice...

the thing about it that is a bit scary for me is that i didn't even see it coming - no warning at all - i ate well all day, and had a nice, on-plan dinner...i was done eating...then my daughter called and said she was coming back from college so i made her and my sons some clam chowder...it looked so good that i decided to have a cup - they were crumbling hard pretzels in it, so i had a few too...it was yummy...okay, not so bad...

the next thing i knew, i got a craving for cereal with blueberries and had a bowl...okay, this was getting a little worse...five minutes later, i was in the freezer raiding the tiny bite-sized frozen snickers that my kids stashed in there...ate about 5 of them...i broke curfew and every other rule too...i had to go to bed to avoid further damage...obviously, i ate a lot of carbs and felt worse for it this morning...

but now i'm feeling better and have eaten very well so far today, and plan to manage my evening much better than i did my night, last night :-)

weighed in at 208 which was the same as yesterday, but if i stray at all today, i know i'll be at 210 for official weigh-in tomorrow and I DON'T WANT THAT!...

hang in there kids - we'll get through this bump in the road... :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 05-19-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #576

well, here it is...i am back up to 310.6

11 lbs up from my last weigh-in 3 weeks ago. About what i thought, and 1/2 of what i feared. I have, at some time in the remote past packed on 14 lbs in a week. I have 1/2 gallon of pistachio ice cream in the freezer. I will make me a nice ice cream sundae, and toss the rest.I need some closure. tomorrow, i begin again. Sunday is the walk-a-thon. It better not rain!!! FF
Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #577
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi everyone...popping by for a quick check in.

FINALLY, the scale dropped. Seems many of us are all struggling with difficulties to lose or gaining. I know this round has been hard for me - I've wantedt to cheat ALOT! It's time for me to dig deep and get back the focus I had when I first started.

I'll try to touch base later.....
Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Sun just came out for the first time in a week. I think it is just temporary though.

FF you amaze me that you can have a serving of that pistacio ice cream and throw the rest away! Best wishes on the fresh start tomorrow.

Tony, fixing clam chowder to celebrate your daughter's homecoming was such a sweet thing to do. Sharing food with family is so ingrained in us as a way we show our caring. Sorry it temporarily derailed you but know you are right back up on that horse today!

Beth, glad that "bender" is out of your system. Your meals look good for today!

It is my afternoon off and may sit in recliner and read some of my Vince Flynn book - love his stuff.

Marilee, glad you are still seeing the scales move down. How is your knee feeling today after your chicken shot?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #579
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Marilee, glad you are still seeing the scales move down. How is your knee feeling today after your chicken shot?
Thanks for asking! It feels pretty good. I'm still using my cane, but hopefully this "kick-a-poo joy juice" will kick in and I won't have to. I was concerned that my weight would make it "squoosh" out, but he said nope - wouldn't happen; that if my knee felt good I didn't need to use the cane. I'm too freaking young to be walking around with a cane
Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #580

glad the shots are working, gibby;do they use real chickens?

also glad that the scale is behaving for you. wish me luck for Sunday's walk. if it is not raining on sat, i will walk back from the restaurant. a good 90 min walk, otherwise my brother will drive me home. i will only walk in the rain if it is more than 80 degrees, and no lightening. FF
Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, it's a good thing we are here to support each other...when these slips have struck in the past, before i found you guys, it would lead to a long downward spiral...not this time...i am having an EXCELLENT day so far today!...

ff, i like your idea of finishing off your "break" with a nice big sundae!...good for you!...tomorrow will be a good day to start the losing trend again...we'll get there, brother...

marilee, sorry about the cane, but congrats on the loss!...you're my heroine!...hmmm, that didn't come out right...lol...

abi, hope you enjoy the book...it's funny how the sun has been teasing us all afternoon...and thanks for the sweet comment about my sweetness...lol...
Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #582
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
well, it's a good thing we are here to support each other...when these slips have struck in the past, before i found you guys, it would lead to a long downward spiral...not this time...i am having an EXCELLENT day so far today!...

ff, i like your idea of finishing off your "break" with a nice big sundae!...good for you!...tomorrow will be a good day to start the losing trend again...we'll get there, brother...

marilee, sorry about the cane, but congrats on the loss!...you're my heroine!...hmmm, that didn't come out right...lol...

abi, hope you enjoy the book...it's funny how the sun has been teasing us all afternoon...and thanks for the sweet comment about my sweetness...lol...
Yeah on the good day!!!!!

Heroine....hmmmmm....sorry - food is my drug of choice
Old 05-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #583

IT WASN'T PISTACHIO!!!

I thought I bought pistachio!!! I have no deal with Banana Split ice cream (Friendly's). Out it went,w/o even breaking the seal. FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, MAY THE GODS BE MERCIFUL, FREE AT LAST!!! I did wave to the coffee truck, as i walked in today. This high carb stuff IS very sneaky. After u think you've had your fill of it, there appears to be a lingering flicker which tells you, "but u haven't tried this yet. have it and get it out of your system" Then i do. And before i know it, i have put back all the weight I have lost, plus more. that is my history. NOT THIS TIME. But i do believe it is time for a tweaking. I believe I will up the salads and veggies, and ATTEMPT to lessen the critter quantities. Perhaps between 30-40 net grams, and less calories. for the warm weather months, it is not too difficult. I can always re-tweak in November. I have already cut down on diet sodas. I have switched to 12 oz Canfield zero carb 12 oz choc soda. no more than 2 a day, as opposed to 2 Faygos or 40 oz a day. I drink plain water and the flavored seltzers with a whisper of rasberry flavor. Plus my obbligatory cafe du jour. Tomorrow is the anniversary dinner. I already know what I am having. Grilled fish and spinach ad aglio ed olio (with garlic and oil). they can take home the pasta. I will allow myself a glass of wine, and finish off with an espresso with a shot of annisette. I will taste the anniversary cake, but just one mouthful. with any luck, if the weather is fortuitous, I can walk home. So glad to be back. FF
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #584
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Morning all!

FF - OK, so you got over it and you've got your sights set to be back on course. Tossing the ice cream out is symbolic ritual of a "reset." It is kind of like tossing out the fruit cake at Christmastime. It is good to know what you're going to have ahead of time for your meal out tomorrow night.

We are also going to to din-din tomorrow night, I have already downloaded the menu PDF days ago, and have decided on the salmon cooked on the cedar plank. We're off to Hanover Street Chop House in Manchvegas, for you NH'ers, and then to the Dueling Pianos show at Boynston's Taproom.....

Tony - well, so you went off on a bender! I used to love pretzels broken up in ice cream. Just call it "carb loading" and get on with things, I know you can do it!

Marilee - oooh what a nice new number you've got there!! Good job there!

Kbeth - nice menu there, I love broccoli. I have started roasting it in the oven, tossed in a bit of olive oil & seasoning, but keep an eye on it. YUM.

Abigale - ahh I love to read also, Vince Flynn is good. Reading keeps me away from the kitchen!! Just a nice cuppa tea goes well with a good read.

Tammy, BecinUK, Vicki, SLimlizzie, et al - hope y'all are well.

Yesteray was workplace birthday cake and ice cream for the May birthday gals, and I indulged in a healthy hunk of choc cake and ice cream...oh baby, it's been ages!!! After work I went to Planet Fitness and torched off 600 calories with 30 min on the elliptical and 30 min on the treadmill. Then we went out to din-din for baked haddack & grilled Veg (Carriage Town Grille in Kingston)..and this morning on the scale, I am down .5 lbs. So that was a CLOSE CALL on the sweet indulgence!!

Have a good one,
Nancy
Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Hi Everyone!

I don't know how you do it! Most of you it seems have so many temptations in your house! I have pretty much nothing carby in the house except maybe a pack of pasta but that'd be just silly to eat that. I have very little control here. Luckily I live with a housemate who doesn't buy much junk food and don't have to worry about a partner and kids just yet!

I do indeed have my car which is full of Chocolate of course but somehow after nearly 3 years working for a chocolate company I am pretty good at forgetting about that car and keeping all the chocolate off limits in the boot.

We are nearly coming up to being one month left in this blitz. How are everyone's goals going?

My goal at the beginning of this was 20 pounds gone. I am down 9 with 11 to go. I think this is still reachable if I really focus hard! I am aiming for 3 more in May!

I feel like everytime we have a blip in the road it's a learning curve and that is what really matters right?

155: 05/15/2011
150: 06/07/2011
145:
140:
135:
130:
Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #586
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting question, Bec....thanks for reminding me to see what my goals were. Regarding weight loss, I had two.

1. To be a permanent resident of the 200's. DID IT!!!!!!!

2. To lose 30 pounds. I don't think I'm going to make it. So far, since 4/1, I've lost 20.6 pounds. I don't think I can lose the rest because I'm starting my maintenance phase next week and we aren't permitted to lose on it. BUT,
I'm happy any way. I lost 20 freaking pounds!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #587

no SPECIFIC numerical goals for me for this blitz or any other.

i just want to put this endulgence behind (double entendre intended)me, and get going in the right direction. My lesson to be learned is not to get cocky with carbs. FF
Old 05-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

omg, did i ever pay for my slip-up!...i'm up 5 lbs. since i weighed in monday, after my trip!...i'm back up to 211, and i deserve it!...i weigh 1 lb. more than i did on january 1st!...

i'm back on track, but will be lucky to get back to 204 (blitz V starting weight) by the end of june!...i HATE losing the same lbs. over and over, but i did this to myself and am not gonna accept it...

okay, i've vented and feel better now... :-)

ff, i'm so proud of you for throwing out the ice cream - that took strength!...enjoy the anniversary dinner, bro...

marilee, you are awesome and have been our rock - thanks for all the support!...

bec, that's a great point - as for me, i should not have any bad carbs in the house, but i keep thinking i have more willpower than i do...some things like cereal, i have to have for the kids, but it is difficult having any of that stuff around...i gotta do a better job at the market...

nancy, i am so happy you and abi are carrying new hampshire during this blitz...you guys have to starve yourselves just to lose what i have gained...i'll get this ship righted, though...lol...i've heard that chop house is awesome...please give me a review when you have time...

today so far:
b: 3 oz. broiled skinless chicken breast
l: 3 oz. broiled chicken breast
s: ?
d: ?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #589
Major LCF Poster!

FF, glad you are back too! Can't believe that ice cream was banana split and not pistacio! I could have thrown that out too. Don't like the flavor of bananas. Have a great weekend. Hope weather is good enough to walk home from the dinner.

Tony, I think what you weighed after your trip was a real weight loss and what the scales are showing now it probably more water weight. Someone once told me they don't call them Carbo Hydrates for nothing.

Nancy, I never really got into the book yesterday. I had no sooner sat down in the recliner than DH called to say he was at the neighbors and wanted me to come see the baby ducks and geese that had hatched this week. One egg in incubator was wiggeling and making peeping noises. So cute!

Bec, I don't know if I could resist a car full of chocolate but I do envy you not having to have carby stuff in your home. My Mom and DH both are carboholics and I have to do most of the cooking for both of them. Manage to stay away from them because I have fallen off the wagon one two many times before. My problem is eating too much of allowable food.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #590
Blabbermouth!!!

I have to share what I had for breakfast this morning: a BELT. Bacon, egg, "lettuce", tomato "sandwich". Whenever I make a sandwich (if I am following LC) I use leaf lettuce for the bread. Well, my new found "bread" is napa cabbage. Man, it isn't as flimsy as leaf lettuce and has a very, very mild cabbage flavor to it that it doesn't overpower the sandwich innards. Yum.

I am not sure what my goal was for this blitz. I guess just to get back on the wagon. I keep bouncing off and on but I am staying on longer than off, I hope.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
Old 05-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #591
Blabbermouth!!!

I tried my new vegetable spiral slicer tonight. Made yellow squash noodles and added to the hamburger stroganoff. Yummy too. I am on a roll, look out people. Call me the gadget queen.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #592
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Abigale, I'm here! Just got buried under two freelance projects in addition to my regular job this week. Not much time left to play.

FF, I could never have tossed out Banana Split ice cream. You rock!

Kbeth, ACV rocks but I found it made me totally hyper. Hope your hubbies doesn't have that problem.

Tony, FF, Beth, et al: I had one of those off-plan evenings, too. I'm blaming mine on running out of vegies this week while I was snowed under with work. I'm pretty sure if I'd just had a fridge full of bright shiny vegies, I'd have picked them instead, given my recent obsession with them.

Anybody here a horseracing fan? I started a Triple Crown thread over in the PG but not a lot of race fans checking in yet. If you like horses or plan to watch the Preakness tomorrow (or just like picking pretty horse names), drop on by: Preakness Lineup

Last edited by LCShadows; 05-20-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Old 05-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #593
Major LCF Poster!

LCShadows, glad it was only work keeping you from us. Some weeks are like that. Hope work slows down a little for you now. Speaking of horse races, my brother-in-law builds starting gates. His father started the business many years ago and was even mentioned in the book Seabiscuit.

Vicki, I love gadgets too. A spiral vegetable slicer sounds so neat! When DH was stationed in Germany they would serve large white radishes at the carnivals that had been sliced with some kind of spiral slicer. So beautiful and delicious with a little salt.

I am eating too much again and gaining again. Going for a better plan today. Don't know for sure what that will be yet (still only 4 am!) Will check back in later.

Everyone have a wonderful Saturday!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #594
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
That's cool, Abigale. He's part of racing history. Today's race was really fun and MY HORSE WON! I picked him for the Derby and then picked him again today, and he finally came through for me.

What is a spiral vegetable slicer exactly? And where does one get one? Can you make faux-pasta sort of dishes with it, using vegetables? That kind of thing? (See how my ears are pricking up when I hear the word vegetable these days?)
Old 05-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #595
Blabbermouth!!!

Abigale, were those white radishes hot? I think I am going to like this slicer though. I can see zucchini noodles with spaghetti sauce and stuff like that.

I used the Napa cabbage leaves again for my hamburger and hot dog bun tonight. I am definitely liking this. I did have popcorn at sons' ball game today though. But, other than that, been on plan.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #596
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey guys,
my daughter graduated from unh today...went out for dinner and had a veal chop and swapped asparagus for the pasta...very good...have a lot of company and out of routine...i can't wait til monday to get back to a normal schedule...may do a couple of days of egg fasts or something similar...

vicki, good for you for getting on a roll...like the cabbage leaf idea...i miss sandwiches...lol...

abi, good luck with your new plan...hope you will share the details with us...

shadows, great to see you, girl...happy your horse won!...and that you are doing well...

hope everyone has a good weekend!...
Old 05-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #597
Major LCF Poster!

LCShadows, Mom and I watched the race. Always breath a sigh of relief when the gates open without a hitch -lol. Glad your horse won. Very exciting race!

Vicki, I don't remember the radishes being very hot but it was many years ago. Where did you find your slicer?

Tony, congratulations on your daughter's graduation from UNH. Your dinner sounded good. Love asparagus.

Did not eat that well yesterday but spent some time reading about Optimal Diet and Eat Fat Get Thin. Both seem similar with keeping protein on the low side like 20% of diet with carbs at 10 to 20% and fat at 65 to 70%. Optimal says at one point to keep protein at 50 grams. May try to work with ****** and see what kind of juggling I can do to work at these percentages. I do eat alot of protein and do think I should eat higher fat. I guess they are saying that it is not just the carbs that make you fat but too much protein can also do this. Who knows? Will start with breakfast out today having two scrambled eggs and bacon. After that I don't know what but probably more eggs than meat.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #598
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
OOh no!!! I typed a LONG post and hit backspace instead of enter!!!! It's gone!! Well, just know I'm thinking of you folks and I'm doing pretty well. I'm off to Church, so I'll have to start over again later. Take Care
Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #599
Blabbermouth!!!

The World Cuisine Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Slicer. I bought it from that jungle place.

I am trying out ****** and Atkins Community and tracking exercise, weight and food intake. Hopefully this will get and keep me on track. Since I don't work in the summer, I will be able to do this easily. My hope is that doing the tracking for a few months will get me going and when I go back to work, it will be fairly "easy".

Last edited by vli1127; 05-22-2011 at 07:13 AM..
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #600
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi everyone!...

abi and vicki, thanks for sharing the info on those plans...as you settle on a plan, please let us know how it works for you...i love learning this stuff - i had never read where protein can make you fat!...is nothing safe???...lol...

was feeling a bit bloated today, but the scale was back down to 208, so i have no idea what's going on???...lol...i am sure some of the weight i gained this week was water, but it has not been a good week eating-wise for me and i definitely need a reset...

i am proud of myself for limiting myself to a series of slips rather than any full-out binges...seems i've developed the ability to "stop" before i go too far...i'm still 4 lbs. heavier than the start of this blitz but only 6 lbs. over my 20-year low, so that is at least manageable...

have a great sunday!
Closed Thread