Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
I was down another pound this morning so do think it is tied in with water drinking. It will be harder to get the water in today with Church this morning. I will have to get a later start drinking. Going to give it a good try. Had hamburg, eggs and a little cheese yesterday to eat.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
abi, i'm picking up the lbs. you are losing - i was up another lb. today, to put me at 209, which is 1 lb. above my ceiling...btw, yoiur mom looks like a sweet lady... :-)

you guys know i am honest, but this is weird...this is the first time in over a year that i cannot figure out why i am gaining and not losing...i am eating very well and moderately...

i have not started the extra water yet - gonna do that starting tomorrow...

i'm not frustrated at all - just puzzled - i know it can't be fat, so i think it will come off quickly once it starts coming off!...lol...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Tony, thanks for the nice compliment for Mom. She is a sweet lady.

I also was putting on a pound or two a week for some odd reason. So far the water is helping if nothing more than keeping me busy drinking rather than eating.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, abi...i'm gonna get religious about my water intake tomorrow...

where the heck is everybody else?...lol...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 203 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Hi everyone!

Abi that's such a great reminder about the water.....I really need to focus on that this week. I've been drinking far too much diet soda....need to swap that out for water!!

Tony, I wouldn't worry about the extra pound....I think our bodies just re-calibrate on us from time to time. I bet anything if you up the water this week you'll see it fall right back off. I'll do it with you....water challenge this week!!

FF, I am blown away with all of your walking.....you are truly an inspiration!!

Marilee....where are you????? We miss you and Vicki both!!!

Get ready for a great Monday everyone!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

No loss this morning by no gain either -so I'm happy. Have been having a slight headache all week and wonder if all the water is effecting potassium levels. Will pick up some Morton lite salt with potassium today and see if that makes a difference.

Everyone have a great Monday!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Happy Monday and Welcome the Month of May!

Fell off the wagon a bit with hubby's birthday this weekend, but did get to Planet Fitness both days plus yard work yesterday.....I am going to start this month HARD with water, lunch walks, exercise after work, focused on plan....MUST hit Onederland!!!

Tammy - congrats on chipping away at the lbs. during stress & upheavel!

Abigale - good job on your water and food intake, and taking care of the Easter hamsalt gain! Bless your heart for taking care of your Mom.

Slimlizzie - I read cinnamon is good for BP...

Tony - It really IS a mystery how the "uphill plateau" is hard to crack, April was like a 3 lbs loss for me but still the clothing got a bit looser. We must figure out how to outsmart our stubborn bodies who are probably in revolt with giving up the pounds.

FF - good job on the walking endeavor, the weather is getting pleasant for walking!
Hi Marilee, Kbeth et al!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Abi...your Mother looks like a lovely lady.
I recently learned that avocados have more potassium than a banana. Good fat, and low carb!

tony...Are you sure you're getting *enough* calories? (and yes, I realize that now that I have one month under my belt that I am now an expert. ) There's that whole starvation mode that can trip up the metabolism.

FF...Wow. I can hear the theme song to "Rocky" in the background. Did you pump your fists in the air when you finally set the grocery bags on the kitchen counter?

I got a little overzealous with the exercise. Going to have to slow down a bit. Shorter walks and more days off. This is a journey, not a race. Must learn patience. Right now!!!

B: chicken breast
S: burger and veggies
L: ?
D: fish and veggies
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

hey tammy, thanks for the pep talk - i'm up for the water challenge!...let's try to drink away some weight this week!

abi, i don't know what i'm talking about, but i might try a banana or avocado rather than salt for your potassium...the salt may just cause you to retain the water and gain fluid pounds...

hi nancy, i think you are right about the "uphill plateau" and our bodies...best of luck with your plan for may - sounds like a good one to me btw, happy birthday to your hubby!...and congrats on losing 3 lbs. in may - i gained 4!

hi kbeth...great menu...sorry to hear you overdid the exercise - we don't want you getting hurt!...you might be right about the calories - i think i am getting enough overall, but i'm eating so few during the day, that my body may have shifted into starvation mode...i'll make an effort to spread them out more evenly throughout the day...thanks for the advice!...

was back to 208 today, which is my "ceiling" weight...gonna really try to drown myself this week and see what happens...

Last edited by tony8; 05-02-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

Kbeth and Tony, I love avocados so will add them to my diet soon. I'm not really adding any extra salt to my diet, only using the lite instead of the regular. I have to have a little salt on my meat and chicken. Never have had a problem with the sodium gain but always have it when I eat ham - darn.

How are you feeling Nancy post surgery. You sound great and very energetic!

Tammy, how's that going subbing for the different properties?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Hi everyone!

Went to the lab today for another X-ray for the ortho surgeon. I get my first "chicken shot" on Thursday morning.

Started my hcg drops and am hoping to lose some more weight. That would be the best thing for my knee...getting lighter!!!!

I'll get caught up on the posts, but I needed to check in.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #432
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Hello Everyone!!! Have just spent about 30 mins reading all the posts I have missed whilst on holiday. Trying to get nice and motivated to start being on plan again. Just remembered 9pm curfew! Consider that back on from tonight!!

So I am back home in Sunny London (not often that can be said)!!!

I hope that you are all doing well, it certainly sounds so.

So an update on my thai advetures. Lets just say that I am kinda super nervous to get on the scales tomorrow morning. I did not stick to plan, like barely at all. I had such a great fun time and I felt like rewarding myself for such great effort in Melbourne and also I just thought I should loosen up a bit for the 9 days I was there. As far as meals go I didn't have huge portions but me and my friends had later evening candy/chocolate moments most nights. I only had 4 cocktails (total alcohol) the whole 9 days though which I am pretty happy about and to be honest I really felt in control.

The only problem is that now I am back and craving sugar a little bit. But it's not a problem. I will not stray! I am back to motivation and on plan. I even went to the gym but it was closed today due to public holiday. I will go in the morning though. I have had a perfect day today and will probably be a little more careful the next two weeks. Just need to see what the damage of 9 days of vacation/letting go did. I am intrigued to know, as I am certain to stray on my long weekend planned to go to Italy in June.

I am motivated and I will stay this way (power of positive thinking!)

Gosh!!! I hope this doesn't sound like crazy ranting but I did want to share my experience and I don't feel guilty.

I will disclose my weight tomorrow and I figure if I have gained a lot then I will loose it quickly as it came on quickly so all is good!!!

It sounds like everyone on here is pretty well and focused. I really hope you all start seeing results. I too agree about how nice it is when people notice changes, it's when the comments stop that you know you've probably been gaining a few!

Will keep you posted.

Oh and I have also decided I no longer have an exact goal weight. Right now I just want to keep losing and see how I feel. I know I still need to loose so I will just stick with the policy and create mini goals.

My newest reward policy is every 3kilos (approx 6 pounds) I am allowed to buy a season of Seinfeld on DVD. It's my fave classic tv show and it's never showed in the UK. I think it's definitely worth buying the legit set as it's just such a great show and I feel like the more I watch those episodes the better they get! So I will let you know when I hit these milestones too!

Take Care and Have a great week.
Bec
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #433
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
no, kbeth...what i heard was the sound of gasping.

sunday, i was feeling my age. i went nowhere and did nothing....except eat. i was not following my own advice. i'm okay now. it was one of those times i needed to step back, before i can go forward again. my foot dr. is still hunting for a treadmill for me. Also, once it is consistently over 70F, i can walk along the water's edge...just in time for NYs 1st tsunami. FF
Old 05-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Hi, all! Sounds like people are doing well. Kbeth, I know a lot of people who love Paleo/Primal. What I eat trends in that direction except that I don't eat grains ever (some people do eat some non-gluten grains occasionally on those plans) or dairy, and I do eat legumes (incl. peanuts) occasionally. I am interested in the fitness approach of Primal, but nowhere near able-bodied enough yet to try it.

Slimlizzie, I was able to get my blood pressure under control without meds years ago by using some of the principles of the DASH (Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension) Diet. I didn't follow the plan exactly, since it includes grains and dairy. But here are the principles behind it:

-Limit sugar from all sources to 35 calories/day
-Eat a diet that is very rich in calcium, magnesium and potassium
-Limit sodium intake (easiest way to do this is to eat fresh food)
-Increase fiber intake through fresh whole foods (vegies, nuts, fruit, legumes)
-Include protein with each meal
-Get daily physical activity

The DASH diet is probably the most intensely studied (across all races, genders, ages, etc.) diet in history, and it is easy to find tons of studies on it.

Other non-drug therapies that have been tested effective include accupuncture, meditation and yoga -- basically, all things which increase oxygen flow to the brain and heart and decrease stress. Taking calcium, magnesium and potassium supplements has not been shown to have the same positive effect as getting these minerals from foods.

FF, every time I read about your shopping adventures, I want to move back to NYC.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #435
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Tony, how's your sleep cycle doing? The biggest fast gain I ever had came from severe sleep deprivation when neighbors of mine started middle-of-the-night jam sessions. Lack of sleep disrupts your entire hormone cycle, including leptin.

Bec, welcome back! Your adventures sound like fun. Sounds like you're returning with recharged batteries and some realistic goals.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Weigh In Day Today!!!!

And..... I am so happy to report than by some miracle I am down 0.5 pounds overall since I left for my holiday on April 8!!

I do not know why or how but hoping it's like a last warning saying that one stuff up week is ok but don't do it again!!

I lost a bit in Australia and gained most of it back in Thailand but still down from 163 to 162.5 and now motivated as ever.

Will be extra strict this week though just in case and to give my body a kick start to detox all the sugar I consumed in Thailand.

No holidays planned until september now so I can really focus on my health and weight loss now.

Hope you are all doing well too.

Bec
Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Wow Bec! How great is that, to go on vacation and come back lighter than when you left! I love your new reward system of every 6lbs lost you get to buy a season of Seinfeld!

FF, I have days like that sometimes too. I just have to regroup and get psyched up again. Have a groovy Tuesday!

Am down another pound today. I am now 1 pound away from where I was before this last weight gain. Had center cut pork roast yesterday. It had a nice layer of fat on top which I put under the broiler after the roast was cooked to crisp and brown it more. I could eat pork every day. Also had eggs and a little cheese. Drank my 8 cups of water too. It is still hard to do but I am liking the results.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #438

great vacation, Abigale...even greater as u even lost.

most people put on weight (as is their right to do)on vacation. I also lost on vacation, because i was so busy doing this and that. I put it all back when I returned. I am continuously encouraged by everyone's motivation. IF I go to Atlantic City one day this coming weekend, almost all my time will be spent walking the boardwalk (i will be starting in the opposite direction than in the past, just to change my luck...and i will have lunch first, instead of after the walk...again just to change my luck)So, I will ease up on the walking until then. FF
Old 05-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #439
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
HI all,

Wow Bec, great job on staying level during your holiday!! And you're right, you got the warning for next time! You must have been so surprised to have suffered such little damage for your sins!

Abigale, good job! I do 1/4 avocado as part of breakfast, lots of potassium in it. I wrap up the rest in a sandwich bag and squeeze out the air so I can keep it for the 4 days in the fridge. Edges do get slightly brown but I scrape those off. You can also apply some lemon juice onto the cut surfaces to help keep fresh. It is a "good fat" fix!

LCShadows - thanks for the good info on lowering BP!

I am going to focus this week. Yesterday I did 40 min lunch walk, plus after work was Planet Fitness, 40 min on elliptical, 15 min treadmill plus weights, ate really intelligently yesterday. Meals today:

B: 1/2 C ff cottage cheese, some spinach & roasted red peppers, 1/4 avocado
L: leftover roasted red peppers/cauli/zucc/mshrooms + 3-4 oz of picked herring
S: cucumbers in 0% plain Greek yogurt w/dill
D: curry of some sort, hubby is cooking, I must watch portion control!!!!

Everyone- have a good on-plan day!!!
Nancy
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 AM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCShadows View Post

Slimlizzie, I was able to get my blood pressure under control without meds years ago by using some of the principles of the DASH (Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension) Diet. I didn't follow the plan exactly, since it includes grains and dairy. But here are the principles behind it:

-Limit sugar from all sources to 35 calories/day
-Eat a diet that is very rich in calcium, magnesium and potassium
-Limit sodium intake (easiest way to do this is to eat fresh food)
-Increase fiber intake through fresh whole foods (vegies, nuts, fruit, legumes)
-Include protein with each meal
-Get daily physical activity

The DASH diet is probably the most intensely studied (across all races, genders, ages, etc.) diet in history, and it is easy to find tons of studies on it.

Other non-drug therapies that have been tested effective include accupuncture, meditation and yoga -- basically, all things which increase oxygen flow to the brain and heart and decrease stress. Taking calcium, magnesium and potassium supplements has not been shown to have the same positive effect as getting these minerals from foods..
Thank you so much for your input I go to see my Dr. this morning...I really would rather not take any meds.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #441

very easy to get Ca, Mg, & K from Induction level foods.

and of course, there are always supplements. Even so, I am trying to get my meds cut. I am doing an(possibly dangerous)experiment. I had run normal pressure for years with meds. However, I had one bad reading (high normal)last time. So no change in meds. I dropped the atenolol, and just taking the losartan(generic for cozaar). after a month and a half, i am still alive. I am going back on 6/25/11. so, we shall see. In any event, if i croak, i croak. However, even after this past weekend's indulgance, I am back and serene (and greedy)as ever. AND, I am not even hungry. I will most certainly enjoy tonight's cheeseburgers. FF
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #442

i combined Becin with Abigale.

so dementia begins... however, u both are doing quite admirably. I will avoid Thailand when i get to Italy. Sugar is something about which i want to at least have a choice. it seems that in Thailand, EVERYTHING has sugar. Thanks, but no thanks. I will experience Thailand safely from the TV and the web. FF
Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

FF, there is nothing more peaceful than walking along beside the ocean. Hope you get to Atlantic City this weekend! Good idea to keep the body guessing when it will get lunch. lol

By the way, I wish that I had been the one on vacation!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #444

it IS peaceful.

i am so focused to not stepping on anything sharp or slimy, that I, inadvertantly, smack headon into a beautiful bikini babe. Shame!!! FF
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #445

well, Bec..i will have to make more references to Seinfeld in my posts.

U must excuse me now. i must find some water. "Boy, these PORK RINDS rinds are making me thirsty!!!" FF
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #446
Senior LCF Member

YAY! I love Seinfeld so much. I realised how much I missed it when it was on almost constant loop on about 4 cable channels in Australia. It sucks that it's never ever played in the UK.

Bring on the references - What about the full fat non fat yoghurt!!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i am so focused to not stepping on anything sharp or slimy, that I, inadvertantly, smack headon into a beautiful bikini babe. Shame!!! FF

Ha!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

hey guys, great to see y'all doing so well and being so motivated!...

marilee, best of luck with the shot and the drops - i'm betting your gonna drop through the decade during this phase...btw, good to see you... :-)

bec, that is simply AMAZING!...congrats on showing so much discipline that you actually LOST while away...i am impressed...

hi shadows - great to see ya, girl...my sleep cycles seem to be "normal"...i'm not sure what my problem has been but i am going to try to solve it by eating more during the day and less at night and drinking much more water...

abi, i can't believe how quickly you are losing weight!...awesome job!...be right back, i gotta grab another glass of water! :-)

hi ff, i love the inadvertent bikini collision...gotta try that one, bro...

hi lizzie, hope you got good news at the doc's this morning...

i was back down to 207 this morning, but i still feel a bit bloated - don't understand why as i have not been salting...

i am staying strong and eating completely on plan and just waiting it out...i am still only 5 lbs. heavier than my 20-year low, and 8 lbs. from 1derland...it's not as close as it once was, but i can still see it!...lol...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
Well..the Doc put me on meds Atenolol..have to check with him in 6 weeks..
actually I am somewhat relieved, I was stressed with the numbers
I was getting.

So we shall see.....

LC.. I am still looking at doing the DASH

i

Last edited by slimlizzie; 05-03-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

lizzie, i've been on atenolol for years and have had no side effects and it works well for me...best of luck with it...

ff, were you having issues with atenolol?...is that why you dropped it?...what were they?...curious minds want to know! :-)
Closed Thread