Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #391
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
vicvki, next time u feel like playing hooky...

u can have a go at my kitchen. i hope u are not

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #392

fat finger syndrome...

claustrophobic. it is a tiny kitchen. i will provide, food, beveridge and music. I admire you, Vicki. when i used to play hooky, the only thing i cleaned (out)was the fridge. excellent self control on your part. I am doing quite well on Tony's 9 pm curfew. I recommend it to everyone. I cannot believe I am doing it since 3/9/11. I have only broken it 3 times (but not off-plan food). A great way to develop discipline. I also keep certain "dangerous" on-plan foods in the office fridge(or freezer). My low carb bread and bagels, kraft extra sharp cheddar cheese for example. In a weak moment, if they were at home, i can (and have)devoured them all in one sitting. Controlling one's environment (something I picked up from WW, btw)is part of the equation for success. FF
Old 04-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Am so sad to hear about all the damage and loss of life in Alabama ( our home for over 30 years). Still waiting to hear back from friends in the Huntsville area.

Son-in-law was in Birmingham yesterday on business but was ok.

We had damage to three homes while we lived there - two from tornadoes and our condo in Gulf Shores was hit by three hurricanes. It's wonderful to be back in New Hampshire!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #394

it has been a bad year

for natural disasters. But that is the alternate side to a living planet. I wish I had more encouraging news. I myself would not move to the gulf states. But that is me. My sympathies to those who were adversely affected.
FF
Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #395
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Morning all,

FF - good luck on your weigh-in, and I hope you make the big 75lb milestone!

Tony - watch the bite sight for the circular red rash, hope it's nothing!

Jfin - good effort getting back on that wagon, nice menu and discipline. You and I could get ourselves T-shirts that say "WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!"

Slimlizzie - hope you get your BP under control, and yup, the niacin supplement is more for heart & cholesterol numbers.

Vicki - after FF's kitchen, c'mon up to NH and do mine!

Hi Abigale - yes the devastation down south makes me very sad too, and glad for the most part that NH is on the low side of terrible weather events like tornados and hurricanes...

I'm doing pretty good this week, knocked 2 lbs off the weekend damage so I am at 203. I have been walking for 10 min on the bedroom treadmill in the am, and taking 30-45 min walks during lunchtime.
Today is 2 weeks since thyroid surgery so I am ready to resume a reasonable cardio workout on the elliptical at Planet Fitness after work.

And tomorrow AM, it will be alarm at 5AM, coffee and treadmill for the Royal Wedding, YAY!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Nancy! I will be up early enough to watch the wedding but won't have time to see it. Can't wait to see what Kate's dress will be like and if she will be wearing a tiara or flowers in her hair..

Tony, sounds like a good attack on the tick bite. We have pulled two off the dog this week. Worry about them also.

Had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and put the leftover ham in the freezer to get it out of temptation's way. Was up another pound and really do think it is the sodium.
More eggs and probably hamburger for rest of the day. I have the afternoon and evening off for a change which is wonderful. Making myself drink water.

Lizzie, I did notice that Dr. Davis had one post about melatonin helping to lower BP. Don't know anything about that supplement.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #397

up 0.8 lbs this week.

nothing i did wrong. I will do the stair climbing again for a week. i will experiment with different low carb foods. Do as much exercise as i can, w/o killing myself. Nothing else i can do, except listen to the Gods having a good laugh. Well, back to woik!!! FF
Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #398
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, i seem to gain too when i increase my exercise...i bet you have been building lean muscle mass which is heavier than fat, so you have probably still lost fat weight and have built a more efficient fat-burning body...it's all good brother...i have no doubt thaat after a few weeks, you will start losing at a faster rate than before you exercised...the key is patience...

sorry to hear about all the devastation down south...i love the south and the culture there - just not the heat and the natural disasters...terrible times down there right now - hope it gets better soon...

abi, i'm sure it's the sodium...i hate getting out of work early...gives me too much time with the kitchen...lol...best of luck with that...

nancy, congrats on dropping 2 lbs. so quickly...i was at 207 this morning, so you are our best hope to make it to 1derland this decade... :-)

having a good day so far...i'll be back!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #399

it could also be raised cortisol levels owing to stress.

cortisol inhibits weight loss. i shall not add add'l stress over that which I cannot control. I am back to the stair climbing again. I am currently enjoying 2 hard boiled eggs. the shells peeled off like they were bananas. I finally got it right vis-vis cooking hard boiled eggs. I am taking special delight in the yolk portion as the low fat people eat the whites only. They will tide me over till dinner. After the laundry, i am having 2 pieces of gefilte fish. Then, i will take the elevator to the 1st floor, and walk up to the 7th floor. I intend to do that at least twice before 8 pm. THEN, i will enjoy the turkey wing/or drumstick. I shall have earned it. I shall pray that your weigh-in, Tony is more substantial than mine. How can it be otherwise? FF
Old 04-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #400
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i was at 207 this morning which was the same as i was last friday, so i'm not getting my hopes up...however, i plan a very light night of eating after a very light day, so i'm hoping the "gods" at least will bestow a 1 lb. loss so that the month is not a total gain!...i started april at 204 and have moved in the wrong direction ever since! :-)
Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #401

review what u have been doing,Tony.

perhaps there is some tweaking u can do here& there, nothing too drastic just to confuse the body into becoming more, well, metabolic. More and /or different exercise, eating dinner food at breakfast and vice-versa. Some people have restarted there engines with the egg fast or the meat fast-only for 3 days. In any event Atkins/DANDR has the instructions on that procedure. I have never done it, nor am I likely to. You can try so many different things. The hardest part is getting started. Psyching myself up for the stair climbing. Gonna do it this time.Then the turkey wing. Don't have to psych myself for that!!! Rainless weekend coming up. Great opportunities to go horizontal as well.Almost forgot...going to cheesecake land on Sunday. FF
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi everyone! Quick check in - so far on plan....still on the high end of the window but that's ok.

TTYL
Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, great to see you, girl...hope you are well...we miss your smiling face!...

ff, if this stall lasts much longer, it will be time for some tweaking for sure!...it is self-induced, but i'll have to be stricter - i'd like to get to 1derland in this lifetime...the problem is in the 204-208 range, maintenance is far fewer calories and i'm finding it tough to stay below that number...

i'm hoping getting out on the golf course will help...actually, my clothes keep fitting more loosely, so go figure!... :-)
Old 04-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

After yesterday sticking to eggs, hamburg and a little cheese and drinking more water I am down 2lbs. That has really cheered me up.

I came across the challenge thread "Drinking Water actually works. Who knew?" I read alot of it and it looked like everyone was having success with drinking at least 64oz. a day. Some were drinking alot more. So I managed to drink an extra 16oz. and will try today for the 64oz. Several people were dropping a pound a day doing this. It really helped curb their appetite because they were so full and so busy drinking. Makes sense to me. I'll give it a try.

Will check back in later! Have a great day all!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:35 AM   #405

it is great to see everyone making concerted efforts.

i DID do the stair thing yesterday,from the lobby to the 7th floor. but only once. I am hoping the weather holds out for this evening. I am planning one of my long walks. But i already heard chance of showers. So, we shall see. I also ate more than i had planned. It was all zero carb. It was okay. I was really hungry...a victim of my own cooking. apparently, i really needed to have it. Fortunately, I will be so busy today, I will barely have time for lunch. Well, at this time, the princely pair are quite in the thick of it. Pity, i can't be there to see it. As far as the plain water goes, i am inching toward the 64 oz goal. I do not believe in forcing liquids either. Once the weather is really hot, 64 oz will be the least i drink. FF
Old 04-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

abi, i think that's good advice...thanks for reminding us...i love water - it's all i drink really, but even i do not get enough of it...that would be an easy change to make, so i'm gonna try really hard to do it...i wonder what would happen if i drank a gallon a day?...hmmmm...i'll keep y'all posted!

ff, i generally eat more after weigh-in than on any other day of the week...if you needed it, it's good you ate it and it was on-plan food, so i'm sure the damage was minimal...congrats on the stairs - hope you get your walk in tonight...

the scale hasn't shown it, but i do feel lighter and thinner and the clothes i bought last month are falling off me - not sure i can wear them again - i felt like i was wearing someone else's clothes yesterday...

by playing golf 2-3 times a week, i am really upping my normal exercise, so that's gotta help as i am not increasing my calories...my ab work and weight training has been consistent for 14 months, so i may be getting leaner and more muscular and therefore not much lighter, at least not yet...

looking forward to a great day!...
Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #407

u DO do a lot of exercise, Tony.

& inches (lost)count more than numbers on a scale. Perhaps u need to configure what is goal for u. U may be closer than u think. FF
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #408

oh...the turkey wings were glorious.

perfect picnic food...with some troll slaw on the side. I will have to bribe the ants to stay away. The skin was so crispy, that the sound of the crunch drowned out the roar of the London crowds. I ate them cold right out of the fridge. i've got 2 more for this evening and the other 1/2 of the pack still to be cooked (while the opera is on tomorrow afternoon.)FF
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Happy Friday, Blitzers!
It's great to read through the posts and still see enthusiasm and such dedication! You all continue to inspire me!

I'm doing well...so proud that I am finally able to STICK to something. It's been since March 20th (with a weekend tryst with sugar in the very beginning. None since) since I started Paleo. I am feeling better in general, and I am gaining strength and stamina while exercising. That does a great deal for the attitude!

FF...Your adventures always make me giggle. Please tell me, what is troll slaw??
Also, you asked a while back: Callanetics is a series of small but precise moves and stretches that are extremely effective. I love it because it is low impact, and even on my worst muscle/joint days I can do it and feel better afterwards. There are many men that do it...and certainly would be easy on your peds.

tony...Great to hear that you are seeing/feeling results even if the scale isn't moving. And I'll bet it felt good when relatives at Easter mentioned how fit you looked! That's good stuff!
Oh, and you asked about Paleo awhile back. It varies a bit from book to book, but it's basically the hunter/gatherer thing. Meat, veggies, berries, nuts, seeds. If it takes technology to make it edible, we probably shouldn't be eating it kind of thing. I'm not at all doing it justice in my description, but for me it means super clean food, no dairy (which is tough, but for me, effective). Most of the books tout decreased symptoms for folks with autoimmune issues. I'm feeling pretty darn good, so I'd say they weren't wrong!

BossLady...Did you decide to start up Callanetics again? This stuff amazes me. Just a few hours down, and my clothes fit better. Crazy!!

B: HB egg, blueberries
S: walnuts
L: chicken brst in EVCO, carrots
D: fish and veggies

Exercise: 30 min. walk and Callanetics
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #410

always a joy seeing u kbeth. u can turn a Monday into a Friday

as today IS Friday, so much the better. I believe that paleo is probably THE MOST nutricious way to go. i am happy that it works for you. However, I would find it way too austere for me. Keeping the carbs down is enough for me. I am however, abstaining from the bars and shakes, and extremely conservative with my condiments as regards portions. There are a few manufactured items for me that are de rigeur and help me stay on plan. Of course even the basic paleo foods are shot through with hormones, mercury etc. I, sigh, cannot afford, organic, or free range. I have a few good years left, Osama, and natural disasters notwithstanding. If i can get to goal before my time on earth is over, it is good enough for me. Troll slaw, btw, is my simplistic approach to cole slaw:shredded cabbage, celery seed, black pepper, mayo and white vinegar...all to taste. combine, fridge ( for a few hours)and enjoy. I will also look into the callenetics. It looks like something even i can do. Please post more often. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #411

well i more than fulfilled my stair quota for today.

if i can get in that 2 hr walk this evening, so much the better. if the weather conspires against me, then i will do the stairs at home. so looking forward to my turkey wings tonight. It is a very long Friday, and only a 2 day weekend. But next weekend is a long one. i am hoping that the 8th, or the 9th will be rainfree for Atlantic City. As i am sure i must have mentioned in the past, although i love gambling, i do not have the money for it. I like walking on the boardwalk. Then, shortly before it is time to go home, I try my hand at the $1.00 machine. After $60.00 lost, or 15 minutes, whichever comes 1st, to the bus shelter i go. This time, though, I am going to have a nice sit-down lunch...steak of course!!! Then the long walk, with my water and the walkman. The Gods know i don't ask much!!! FF
Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #412
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KBETH!...so good to see you girl and see you doing so well!!!...thanks for the info on the paleo - that makes sense...i think i'll turn my woe in that direction as i tweak things...so happy to hear that you are feeling better and stronger...

ff, i never eat turkey wings when they are on a whole turkey - seems like the parts we end up throwing out, but you've made me re-think that with your description...can't believe i am craving turkey wings now!...

i was unpleasantly surprised to see 208 on the scale this morning - another gain of a pound and i feel a little bloated...i think i overdid the salt again...gotta stop that!

it's time for a tweak - i'm not sure what i'm gonna do, but i will keep you posted when i figure it all out...
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

where is everyone???
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Hi Everyone

Sorry I've been M.I.A.....it's been so crazy at work. The management company I work for is giving up the apartment community I manage (loooong story) and this week has been our final week there. I chose to stay with my management company as opposed to staying at the community, but it means a LOT of change and uncertainty. They've committed to keeping me and finding a spot for me, but it will mean subbing for others at various properties for a while until a more permanent spot opens up.....Needless to say I've been super busy and super stressed!!!

The good news is that I was down to 219 this morning, which is 3 of that 4 pounds I gained back.....1 more pound and I'll be back to where I was two weeks ago.

Tony, how's the Tick bite? You don't have a rash popping up do you???

FF, your troll slaw sounds really good, I'm going to have to make some of that!

Kbeth, I haven't gotten into the callenetics...I need to. I need to find them again!

Marilee and Vicki....how are you girls doing???

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #415
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

tammy, sorry to hear about the upheaval at work...change can certainly be stressful, but i'm proud of you for staying strong!...way to go!...

no rash from the tick bite...i'll have to go for a blood test in a few weeks, but i feel fine and i'm hopeful...

ff, i gotta be honest - i'm still 30 lbs. from goal...and there's still a good layer of fat covering my lean muscle, bro...

had a good day friday - still too much salt as i had broiled haddock and the seasoning was salty...

hope everyone is well!

Last edited by tony8; 04-30-2011 at 01:36 AM..
Old 04-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE_FREE_NH View Post
Morning all,

Slimlizzie - hope you get your BP under control, and yup, the niacin supplement is more for heart & cholesterol numbers.
I thought it was for blood pressure I purchased a bottle yesterday..
lowering my cholesterol will help too I guess. Do you think it can harm me? I take a B-complex supplement..
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

I did drink my 64 oz. yesterday and was down a pound today. Don't know if the water did it or it was from eating so little. I am the care giver for my 90 year old Mother. She was sick yesterday and I didn't dare leave her to get something to eat. She is doing much better today thank goodness and I am eating hard boiled eggs, some hamburg, chicken and a little cheese.

Heard back from one friend in Huntsville, Alabama. He and family were fine but had driven to Knoxville until Monday. He says the power is out in North Alabama so I am hoping that is why I have not heard from my other friends.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #418

is it possible that tick left something in u...

enough to cause temporary inflammation? 30 lbs is not THAT MUCH from my experience. However, it can still be a large hurdle to others. My advice (which u are free to ignore), is to find a structured plan that suits you, and follow it to the letter. ATKINS works for me, but not for everyone. Just do not feel deprived. And, ease up on the sodium, at least 2 or even 3 days prior to weigh-in, as I have done. I just finished 8 oz of smoked white fish. Plenty salty. I will be drinking quite a lot today and all the time...mostly water, anf flavored seltzer. Just as a reminder, as I am sure u are aware; the difference between club soda and seltzer, is that the club soda has salt, the other does not. The other wings are in the oven. the 2 1/2 hours goes by quite quickly. i already did a walk this morning...about 2 miles. i might do another one after the opera broadcast. Yesterday, I did only a modest walk at Shoprite. I had to force myself. But I said I was going to do a walk, so I did it. I also walked 20 lbs of groceries back home. It was a 5 block schlepp. I hope I can do the big walk tomorrow from CHEESECAKE LANDto home. It IS a 2 hour walk. In any case, I will do as much as I can. Well, talk to y'all later. FF
Old 04-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, thanks for the advice - i always listen to you...i'm as adverse to following a strict plan someone else has devised as you are to feeling deprived...that's why i keep tweaking and re-designing my own plan until i find something that works...if i wind up really STUCK, i'll have to reconsider that... :-)

i cannot tell you how impressedi am that you are even considering a two-hour walk!...can't remember the last time i did that...i'm so proud of you...

abi, i think your mother was very lucky to have a daughter like you :-) hope she keeps feeling better and better!...

hi lizzie, good to see you...nice pic ;-)

having a good day so far - was still at 208 this morning...ribs and chicken tonight...
Old 04-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Tony! When Mom turned 90 in Dec. we put this in the Brattleboro paper. She was so surprised! She is a wonderful person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (32.1 KB, 9 views)
Closed Thread