Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
always good to see u, kbeth...

it is nice to see your plan is working for you. although i am not doing paleo per se, i am much more paleo than in the past. Perhaps u can tell me what callanetics is. i am assuming it is somehow exercise related. Also, as Sunday begins Holy Week, and Mon evening begins Passover, Let me wish all of my Blitzers, and Blitz lurkers HAPPY HOLIDAYS/HOLY DAYS. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #272

applesauce!!!

i was looking at the label of Shoprite's UNSWEETENED applesauce. 1/2 cup (4 fluid oz) is 12 gr Total carbs and 10 net carbs. Doing the math, then 1 oz(2T) is 2.5 net grams. Definitely do-able. I intend to use this only for my "breaded" eats, & for pork chops, breaded or not; and no more than 1 oz. At that rate, it will ferment before I get to the bottom of the jar.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Morning all....

Scale bounced down to 297.6 again. I can't seem to get lower than that this round.

It's a crazy day at work. I can't wait until 4:30!!!!

TTYL
Old 04-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #274

same here gibby...

had some techno-issues at work, just now, or rather lack of techno which is more to the point. enjoying my lunch though...jerk chicken. there were 5 different starches available in the hot food dept. I guess that is what constitutes a balanced meal. Tonight I am taking a long walk to the PEKING KITCHEN. they do not deliver. It is approx 3 mile round trip. They make really great sliced roast pork. The Great Wall - 5 minute walk from my house makes great ribs, but crappy slp. I will take my walkman. Tomorrow I will be doing a nice long walk. I believe i can get it in before the rain starts. I will not be home for the opera broadcast. It is one with a very depressing story line. Alban Berg's Wozzeck. Great opera, but not for me....not now. FF
Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Brittany80
Stats: 252/241.4/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 2/2011-Really counting 3/2011
I went the Gyno today for a yearly woman check up. I told her about the constipation I have been having and the pain in my stomach. She has a more natural approach to medicine and offeres help with weight loss using a low glycemic load concept.

She recommended that I stay low carb but do something like south beach or mediterranian diet??? She said my intestines are really inflammed and that I will not lose weight until my guts are working right. If I do fiber drinks that seems to help but is that really a natural approach? I am scared to try something new but at this point what I am doing isnt working very well. Doesnt south beach cut out a lot of fat?

Suggestions
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #276
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: binkamom
Stats: 235/226/165
Start Date: May 2014
The scale hates me!

I thought I was being brilliant by NOT weighing myself all the time. I have been feeling terrific and my clothes seem to be fitting better so you can imagine my surprise when I very excitedly jumped on the scale to see just how much weight I've lost and I was up 6.6 pounds - how the heck did that happen????

If I really think about it I'm sure I can find times that have over indulged and I am probably not drinking anywhere near enough water each day. Now that I think of it I wonder if the mass amounts of decongestants, Musinex and antibiotics I'm taking might actually be contributing to weigh gain? My eyes just hurt looking at all the Palo Verdes in bloom and my allergies are completely out of control.

I am vowing to do better at least with what I can control. Meds might be something I have to deal with temporarly but soon it will be so darned hot that everything will die and I will be able to breath again!

Su
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=binkamom;14566246]I thought I was being brilliant by NOT weighing myself all the time. I have been feeling terrific and my clothes seem to be fitting better so you can imagine my surprise when I very excitedly jumped on the scale to see just how much weight I've lost and I was up 6.6 pounds - how the heck did that happen????

Binkamom- I hate the scale it does me no good Hang in there!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Hi everyone! THANK GOD IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!

My stress load lately has been out of control.....seriously. My eating has not been the best this week at all. It's really weird because I did NOT consider myself a stress eater.....ever.....and I don't eat tons of calories...never have....but now that I'm watching my diet so carefully I am so much more in tune with WHAT I eat and WHY and WHEN I eat it. I have discovered that when I'm really feeling the pressure a hard boiled egg is no where near as satisfying as a chocolate chip cookie! And heaven help me we have to make fresh chocolate chip cookies every morning for the hostess table in our office. (Yes, we seriously have too...it's a rule) So I made a rule that they have to be the little bite size ones....just in case I crash and burn......but I have got to stop caving in.

I haven't gained any, but I'm not losing either....but I'm not going to beat myself up about that. I figure there is just SO MUCH going on right now that I'm smarter to bend the rules a little and stay focused on my overall objective than to just throw the towel in all together....I REFUSE to do that, I've come too far. But I do need to start losing again.....I can't justify bending the rules forever! Maybe I'll just consider this my maintenance phase.....kind of like Marilee's plan....now it's time to end maintenance and start losing again!!!

Binkamom; I promise you that 6 pounds is the meds!!!!!! Especially this time of year in AZ...I don't usually struggle with allergies, and even I'm feeling it a little this season. Trust that you feel better and your clothes fit better and keep on your track, once the allergy meds clear out of your system I'll bet you'll see a nice big drop.

How are you doing Brittany? Hanging in there I hope!

Tony that caloric information is awesome! I love all the things I learn from everyone here!!!!

FF, I swear...you inspire me to walk more....very impressive the miles you log!

Hi Kbeth! It's good to see you again....I've done callanetics a little in the past and do love them because they're deceptively easy....thanks for the reminder, I should start again!! Yes, the boys do a great job of keeping the harem entertained.

Marilee, you're doing great....I think dropping into twoderville and STAYING there is such a HUGE accomplishment!! When do you start your maintenance phase again?

Hi Bec! So glad to see you checking in!! I LOVE how you're staying so on track while on holiday....I for one am VERY impressed!! Don't let your sister sabotage you....I know how tough family can be!!!

Well I hope everyone has a super-fabulous weekend....I know I plan too!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 04-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #279

i do not always get to follow what i planned to do.

i never got around to doing the evening walk last night. but i did a 2 mile walk today. i feel much better for it. then i did some walking later on. just got home from shoprite. Rokeach Gefilte Fish has 1 gr carb net per piece. the jar has 6 pieces-ergo 3 times. Well, what is gefilte fish w/o horseradish??? Shoprite brand is less than 1 gr per tsp. I do not require more than a tsp. There is enough in that little jar to last me all year. I got 2 shell steaks, bone in...each weighing just a tad more than a lb. one i am having tomorrow, and the 2nd one next weekend. And I got a 7 oz container of FAGE. I will divide it into 2 portions. If I can find a really small container of some berry,fresh or frozen, or some loose ones. i will do a yoghurt/berry dessert...as cold as i can get it w/o freezing solid; with some amaretto coffee to wash it down...that will be nice. I will be able to sneak a walk in tomorrow. I am off Monday, and if there is no rain in the forecast, back to Marine Park for a nice measured walk. Well, let us see how it goes. FF
Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #280
Senior LCF Member

HAPPY SATURDAY! Well my offical weigh in is tomorrow but I had to sneak a peak today. I was surprised to see I am down 5 pounds!!! Happy but waiting to see what tomorrow brings Hope this is the end of my stall! It has been rough, thanks for the amazing support!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Happy Sunday-Fun Day! Well my official weigh in was down 5 pounds today!!! Yippie- Seems like my body is catching up and since I am starting to count calories I think I am on the road to success!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend and losing lots of weight or at least finding the road to self awareness.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #282

so happy for you, Brittany, that the scale god was generous

However, i hope u will maintain good spirits, when he averts his countenance from you. There will be many times when that will happen, even though u are going strictly by the book. That is all part of the weight loss game, as I and so many countless dieters of all nutritional persuasions have discovered over the years. Rejoice that you are following a plan which boasts of no deprivation. Today, I did not do a walk that I have planned, at my feet's behest. They are preparing themselves for tomorrow's mega-walk(12K). I think, perhaps, I will soak my feet in strong coffee before I walk. FF
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/219/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey guys,
had a crazy weekend...had one of my songwriter buddies up to do a concert at the store on friday night, and then entertained him til today...it was so much fun - ate on plan but more than i normally eat...

thinking about nancy and hoping she is okay...

KBETH!!!...great to see ya, kid...happy to hear your woe is working so well...i think you're approach is so positive and healthy...way to go!!!

has anyone seen jennyf???...or original jenny????

tammy, i think you are 100% correct NOT to beat yourself up for any deviating from plan during stress...if you are not gaining, you can't be going too far off...be kind to yourself and at least as understanding as you are with the rest of us :-)

BRITTANY!!!....that is so awesome - congratulations, girl!...if you keep an eye on the calories - keep them under your maintenance #, and avoid carbage and processed junk, you can't help but lose...good job!...

marilee, i am so proud of you - you are having a GREAT april!...

ff, i'm so happy you have been able to walk...now that you are in 2dorland and the warm weather is coming, i'm predicting big losses for you, bro...

hi su, i'm sure once you are able to get off the meds, you'll be fine... :-)

i weighed in at 204 again this week...which is perfectly fine with me...played 9 holes of golf with two of my sons today despite a very achy hip...i held up pretty good and plan to play as much as possible this year...the exercise and my normal ab and upper body work has to help...

hope everyone is well!...i missed you all this weekend!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 04-17-2011 at 06:33 PM..
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #284
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donna D. in NJ
Stats: 205/190/150
Start Date: Feb. 11, 2011
Happy Sunday to all! Well, much to my disappointment the scale wasn't loving me today. No change yet again. Was bummed out but I'm over it. Onward...

Brittany!!! Sooooo happy for you.

Kbeth: thanks for the anti-candida info. I will definitely check it out.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Mornin' all...Happy Monday!

Hope everyone is doing ok, missed y'all! Thank you for your good thoughts and prayers!!!

Well, I pretty much sailed through the surgery..but what a freakin' PAIN IN THE NECK! I have a 3" incision in front of neck. Had a rough night with the stayover, and pretty much have been resting, relaxing all weekend. Pain comes and goes, can't sleep on my tummy. Walking around the block a few times each deay. Haven't gained or lost anything. And Thank God for Netflix streaming!

The hospital had a "Room Service" type of menu that you could call in and get what you wanted, when you wanted. The menu listed CARB COUNTS of everything so I was able to stay LC and have veggie omelets, grilled chicken breast, broccoli, etc. YAY!!

Hubby went out to buy the 30lb bag of dog food yesterday and had a supreme revelation, seeing as he has LOST 30 lbs-- he was so amazed to hold up the 30 lb bag and realize his accomplishment in tangible terms.

Brittany - Great job, congrats! You should consider low glycemic veg, go gluten free and drop the chemical shakes, your guts will thank you for it!!
Get your good fat with avocado, olives, olive oil...

FF -- reading your posts, I am getting hungry! Breakfast will be some sauteed spinach, 1/4 avocado and 3 oz leftover steak!

Marilee, great job as you chip away through the 90's!!

Tammy - great resolve as your get your train back on the track!

Binkmom, - maybe if you up the water intake, that will help flush things out. Must really stink to have the allergies!!!

Tony - thanks always for your sage wisdom!

Everyone else, keep up the resolve and rock this week!
Nancy
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi guys...happy monday!

NANCY!!!...so good to hear things went well and that you are on the road to recovery...room service, huh?...and congrats to hubby on his revelation!...i'm sure he wondered how the heck he carried all that extra weight around every day!... :-)

welcome to a new week and another opportunity to take a nice step toward goal... :-)

my behavior this weekend was very heartening to me...although i haven't lost a pound yet this month, my habits have changed SOOOO much in this past year...

i seem to be operating within a whole different realm of choices...i am no longer even tempted to binge...i feel like my relationship with food is much less dysfunctional...if i really want something off-plan, i have it - but i am satisfied now with a very small portion of it which does not result in a weight-gain...yes, we can do that!...

i feel like the scale doesn't have power over me but that i have power over it...i am no longer surprised by what it says, and therefore i am no longer disappointed...if i am stalling, i know i have chosen to stall, if i am gaining, i know i have chosen to gain, and if i lose weight, i know i earned it...

i completely understand the cause and effect results of my actions and there is so much peace in that...

i feel like all of us who have been participating in these blitzes for awhile understand these things...for me, i've learned it from you guys, and i am grateful... :-)

Last edited by tony8; 04-18-2011 at 05:44 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone. Sorry I was MIA this weekend....lots on my mind.

Nancy, so happy to hear that everything went well and you didn't gain - good job!!!!!

I start maintenance now for my plan. I fluctuated so much this past week if I can maintain any weight under 300, I'll be happy.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #288

well, another walkless day, i regret to say.

by the time, i came to life, today, and took care of the business of the day, the weather took care of my plans to walk. i had two coffees to prompt me to move...but it started to drizzle. Yours truly does not walk in the rain (except when it is over 80 Fahrenheit, and no lightening ). My next opportunity will be Thursday after work. Tue & Wed are a washout too. I will have my shell steak between 8PM & 9PM. I am timing it so that the last bite is chewed and swallowed just seconds prior to 9PM. I hope everyone had a great weekend. I cannot wait to get back to work. I need the structure. But no low carb bread, bagels, or pasta, until Passover is over. PERHAPS, I will do some stair climbing at work to make up for the walkless weekend. FF
Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Morning All!

Just checking in to let you know I have lost another pound on holiday! Down 2 in total! YAY!

Hey FF - I too am celebrating passover (not strictly) and it is actually great for LC because I can tell all my friends that I'm not having bread etc this week. Makes it a lot easy than explaining my eating plan. I also hate passover substitutes so it's back to basics for me.

I am leaving Melbourne on Friday and heading to Thailand for 9 days. My plan for thailand is to maintain or at max gain back to 2 pounds that I've lost in Australia. This would not upset me as I really did not expect to lose weight whilst away. I am in such a motivated place and it would be so funny if someone was listening to my stream of consciousness. It's just constant self talk and motivation to be healthy and love who I am etc and it is really working! This is the longest I have ever stuck to anything - but I am trying hard not to think of it in terms of longest but as ongoing.

Anyway thanks to all of you for keeping my motivated and inspired. I keep reading on here about once a day for my daily inspiration and it's working. I now feel like I only have under two weeks until back to normal work routine and I can't imagine much damage could be done in that time even if I do stuff up!

Take care all!

Bec
Old 04-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #290

hey bec...Happy Pesach to u.

i sent an e-mailm to the Dreamfields people a few weeks ago. suggesting that it would be most profitable to expand from low carb pasta to other low carb starch faves...beginning with low carb matzoh. I received no reply. They probably thought I was a psychopath. (how can they? the did not even get to know me lol) I think 8 totally starch free days might do us a world of good. I am having a shell steak for dinner, and watching BENHUR on dvd afterward. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, you are a piece of work - that's for sure!...maybe dreamfields is in the process of extending you an offer to become their new head of r&d...we can only hope!

bec, you are doing so well - i'm proud of you...i agree that you will have accomplished so much if you stay close to your pre-trip weight...that's virtually unheard of!...

hey marilee, congrats on making it back to maintenance in one piece! :-)

i was 3 lbs. heavier this morning than i was on friday...why?...because i chose to be...my fault, my behavior - no excuses or discouragement...now i'm gonna try to choose to get back to 204 by this friday... :-)

where's everyone else?...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Hi everyone!!

What a day! I've been super busy getting ready to be out of the office for the next two days....I'm going to our annual Leadership Retreat Tuesday and Wednesday and I've gotta tell you....all the prep to be able to get out of the office for two days is almost as bad as the catch up is gonna be when I get back on Thursday!! I am looking forward to it though, it's always nice to see everyone. It's gonna be tough though to eat low carb...they're bringing all the meals in for us and we have box sandwich lunches tomorrow, pizza bar tomorrow night and baked potato bar Wednesday for lunch.... What's with these people??? I'm going to make the best choices possible and hope to minimize the damage.

Bec, I am so amazed at you LOSING weight while on holiday....WAY TO GO!!

FF, what exactly is shell steak??

Nancy, welcome back! I hope your recovery is going well!!

Marilee, you can rock this maintenance, I know you will!

Great Job Brittany....I knew the scale would catch up to you!

Hi Tony!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #293

i, too, was quite confused at first re:SHELL STEAK.

I returned it to the store, explaining that when I held it up to my ear, I did not hear the sea. Many years later, when I was allowed back into the store, I discovered that it was equivalent to NY strip steak. After I put my clothes back on, they explained it all to me. Until I can treat myself to a nice PORTERHOUSE, this is the next best thing. It has a fair amount of marbling, and responds well to pan saute-ing. I have another one in the freezer for next week. FF
Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi tammy!...wow, that retreat sounds like a real challenge!...it just shows how ingrained our culture is to promote unhealthy eating...just do the best you can and know you can get back on track when you return...

ff, don't think i've wished you a happy passover yet, so happy passover to you and anyone else celebrating... :-)

gonna try drinking a lot of water today and eating very light...had a good day yesterday but kinda salty, so i know i need a "whoosh" day this week to try to get back to where i was last friday...

what's on everyone's agenda today?...
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #295

nancy...so great to have u back home.

a hospital that lists the carb count. how remarkable. sorry for the pain and discomfort. That will be a thing of the past pretty soon. Nothing new for now. Just glad it is not Monday. Have a great day all!!! FFR
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Happy Passover to all celebrating....if you had Seder last night, I hope it was a special evening.

Well, I'm kept my weight the same after maintaining for a couple of days Maintenance is no sugar and no bad carbs (rice, potatoes, bread, etc.) and adding fats and a much larger choice of vegetables.

Seeing the surgeon for my knee replacement next Tuesday. I'm a bit nervouse, but glad I finally got the ball rolling. I want my life back!

FYI the website will be down for a half an hour around 9AM tomorrow for 30 minutes.

Have a great day everyone!

Marilee

Last edited by Gibby; 04-19-2011 at 07:50 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi marilee, best of luck with that knee...i'll be facing the same decision on my hip soon...
Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
hi marilee, best of luck with that knee...i'll be facing the same decision on my hip soon...
I probably already told you this, but.....my sister had her hip replaced several years ago and she was sorry she waited so long - she's hiking and doing everything she did before the replacement.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marilee, was it a total hip replacement?...it is such radical surgery, as they cut your femur off about halfway down your thigh...ouch!...lol...

hope everyone is having a good day...i was up to 208 today - the salt was worse than i thought!...having baked salmon tonight...
Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Just checking in--it's old Jenny (not sure I like the sound of that!)

Tony, you're so kind to ask after me.

I'm hanging in there but barely--not been losing and really struggling not to gain...my weight has been bouncing all around but I seem to be keeping it within a 4lb range and am still up about 5-7lbs from my low earlier in February...

My problem is that I'm drinking wine and eating too much (especially at dinner.) I need to get into the headspace of losing but am having a hard time with it right now. I mostly really want to make sure I'm not gaining which is hard enough. I am eating on plan about 90% of the time but the overeating and 10% of bites of this and that are what is causing me problems.

Each day I begin with, "Today I'm going to get back on track in the losing mode" but it seems to derail itself one way or the other....

I have been keeping my exercise up and am eating healthy foods, just too much of them...

I keep checking in here, reading your posts and waiting for the switch to flip if you know what I mean.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Closed Thread