Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey clanger, wow, i am impressed by your decision to work out this morning...you are a marvel, woman - one day you are contemplating stuffing food in your knapsack and the next you are wearing out a treadmill!...

artemis, losing 125 lbs. earns you a badge of courage and determination that i hope you wear proudly...that takes a lot of strength!...good for you and thanks again for becoming part of our little team...i have no doubt you can teach me a few things!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Long overdue for a check-in. Since work has nothing going on, I am taking some time off now. Have been trying to take a little vacation from TV and internet, for the most part, as well. So my check-ins may be sporadic till next week, but I'm out here.

I caught up with all the posts. to all the newbies!

FF, your music binge sounds like the perfect thing to start the new year.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/343.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Tony et al, I found this on another thread and thought I'd share. It is the benefits of ACV

What, exactly, are the internal and external benefits attributed to ACV?

Following the old cliché, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," apples are one of the oldest, most nutritious foods on earth. They are rich in potassium, a mineral many of us are deficient in, and a deficiency that causes old age to creep upon us sooner. Calcium maintains our hard tissues such as bones, and potassium is the equivalent to the body’s soft tissues, keeping the body’s flesh and arteries soft and resilient. Fresh, organic apples are used to make Apple Cider Vinegar, which contains necessary ingredients, such as enzymes, and life-stimulating minerals, mainly potassium, in a natural state. Besides being a natural stimulant for vitality, Apple Cider Vinegar cleanses and restores nutrients to the body so that the body can heal itself. [BACK]

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Helps Remove Body Toxins * Helps Promote a Youthful Body *Helps support a healthy immune system * Helps Maintain Healthy Skin * Helps Control Weight * Improves Digestion and Assimilation * Soothes Tight and Aching Joints and Sore Muscles from exercise * Soothes irritated skin

Marilee
Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
marilee, i'm stickin' with you guys til we are all at goal
I knew you were - that's why I said it
Old 01-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey shadows,
i've missed you...happy to see you and to hear you've been well...hope you enjoy your break away from electronic stimulation :-)

marilee, thanks for the info on acv...i did two shots yesterday...

well, i did not almost fast last night, but i ate a small, healthy portion of chicken and veggies...i was hungry later in the evening, but summoned the will power to go to sleep rather than eat anything else...

i asked myself 2 simple questions that i wish i'd thought of years ago: "should you be hungry right now?", and "haven't you eaten enough tonight?"...when i thought about what i had eaten, i realized that i had eaten more than enough to nourish my body and satisfy my hunger, which led me to the conclusion that my "feeling" hungry might be about something else...

maybe i was just in the habit grazing all night as soon as my digestion reached a certain point and i was following that conditioning - i needed to feel "full" all night...not sure, but just thinking about what i had eaten logically, and about you guys and what we're trying to accomplish together, gave me the strength to stay out of the kitchen...

of course, i went to sleep so early that now i'm awake at 3:30 a.m. :-) gotta go get some rest...see ya later!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 01-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #246
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Ye Gods...I miss tuna!!!

I only buy it when it is on sale. I reached down into the bottom of my bottom desk drawer, and there it was-Chicken of the Sea solid white packed in water. I prefer the one in water to oil. 1st of oil(pun intended), they use soybean oil, as do all "affordable on sale" tuna incl Bumble Bee. The ones packed in olive oil are considerably more expensive. That goes for sardines too. Anyway, i am having tuna salad for lunch. Can't wait. Got an unexpected compliment this a.m. Read about it in the main lobby. FF
Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Happy Friday all, and welcome to those who have joined us this week. And it's wonderful to read of the progress made by other Blitzers this week! Rock on!

My Friday weigh-in:

DOWN 1.5. I will take it! Yay! Down 5 since 1/3.

Following my plan pretty much, a couple of minor infractions but will modify (i.e. bring my own snacks for football games this weekend)...

Also, good exercise so far, Sunday is my start day and I have 3 hours invested on the elliptical, the treadmill and ME. Will do another 40 min today and tomorrow so I should be burnin burnin the cals....30 min is 300 cal for me.

Feeling great. Chippin' away at it. Like an ice sculptor. How's that for a visual. Well, that presents a chain saw in the picture. OK, melting away, like a snowman........that's better.

Do good today, everyone....stay on your course, don't waver!!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #248
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
I only buy it when it is on sale. I reached down into the bottom of my bottom desk drawer, and there it was-Chicken of the Sea solid white packed in water. I prefer the one in water to oil. 1st of oil(pun intended), they use soybean oil, as do all "affordable on sale" tuna incl Bumble Bee. The ones packed in olive oil are considerably more expensive. That goes for sardines too. Anyway, i am having tuna salad for lunch. Can't wait. Got an unexpected compliment this a.m. Read about it in the main lobby. FF
FF, craving tuna, could be worse Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE_FREE_NH View Post
DOWN 1.5. I will take it! Yay! Down 5 since 1/3.
Congrats to you on the wt loss,

Starting HCG today, two days of fat loading. Here we go. I was 190 today and I haven't been too happy with the bouncing around ARGH. Time to get serious.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #249

i must confess, i am a bit skeptical about 1 food causing weight loss.

so, i will WEIGHT and see if it works for you, tony8. The idea of drinking any sort of vinegar straight nauseates me. Perhaps, i can add it to salad, or in a veggie saute. Does it HAVE to be consumed straight up? FF
Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff, we always ate the genoa tuna when we were kids...chunk light in olive oil - haven't had it in years...now it's solid white in water for me...great protein and low in cals...good choice, bro...

nancy, congrats on the loss - 1.5 pounds is a LOT of weight to lose in one week...you're on an awesome pace...good for you!...

hey vicki, good luck with the hcg and getting into the 180s for good this week... :-)

will weigh-in officially in a bit - i'm loving friday rather than thursday weigh-ins...it's easier to get serious on wed and thu leading up to it, knowing if i do well, i can relax a bit over the weekend...

our merry band of losers has lost a LOT of weight so far this month!...you can thank me later for my contribution!...as of yesterday, i was at a net loss of................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .......................0
since 1/1/11
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i'm doing it more hoping there are general health benefits than weight loss...seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that it is healthful, so i figure why not?...you should not drink it straight - should water it down and rinse your mouth after or brush to keep it off your enamel...

i shoot it with just an ounce or so of water and then chug some water to wash it down...i don't see any reason you would have to drink it to get the health benefits - i do it so i don't have to add it to other foods i enjoy without vinegar...

if nothing else it does seem to be a diuretic so if you drink water and use acv, i think you are effectively flushing out your system and that's a good thing...
Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #252

i know that Lidia Bastianich will toss in some vinegar in a saute,

so perhaps i will get some acv next time i go shopping. i use plain old white when i am making troll slaw, or tuna salad at home. a little goes a long way. it also has uses for cleaning. I decided that as soon as i get to 2-dorland, i will begin experimenting with berries (no more than 1/4 cup a day)and no low carb bread on any day i am doing fruit, while i am still on induction level grams. They have too many nutrients to continue postponing them. FF
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! Doing the happy dance again - down another pound

Nancy-congratulations on the 1.5 loss - that is great news! KUTGW

ff-In order for the acv to have maximum benefit, I believe it should be done separately. I know it's rough, but the tastes leaves quickly - especially if you brush your teeth right after, which helps with the taste and gettig the acid off your teeth and you become kissable

Tony-congratulations on the new mindset of asking yourself those questions. I'm doing the same only different. I tell myself, "you have eaten all of your allotted foods. Do you want to lose weight, or do you want to play the same sabotage games you played for years?" That seems to be taking care of the issue. I'm getting good at toughing in out!

Vicki-Good luch with the hcg. If you need me for support give me a ring.

Well, more chores today. Yesterday I got rid of 3/4 of the clotes in my closet I'm so excited - I have a small walk-in so we're talking about considerable clothes. My friend was able to take some so that was a nice blessing. Today is clean out the sideboard day and get rid of china/knick knacks I don't use.

Take care my favorite people
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #254
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 197/175.5/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 6, 2011
Ok, I did my Friday weigh in and am down 9.5lbs.

So I decided I was going to splurge and make myself a crab omelet with mozzerella, gr. onions and spinach..............It was really good...but way to big!

Should have used 2 eggs not 3 and half the crab meat....but I didn't...now I am stuffed beyond belief cuz' I ate the whole thing :blush:

I am miserable....but I did stay on plan!

Last edited by HarlansHollowFarms; 01-14-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #255

i do not worry about portion sizes. so long as i do not

EXCEED my daily total points (or weekly optional points)on the WW system. I have a 1.34 lb steak on deck for tomorrow evening. I will definitely eat the whole thing, which is at least 40 points. I will know when I remove the bone after cooking and weigh the remainder. This week i am really going to put myself about as much as possible. I am walking up stairwells, and doing housework, and upper body exercises. I need to lose 4.9 lbs to get below 300 lbs. Of course, it will not happen in one week, but as much as it will come off, i will be quite content. FF
Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, make sure to get the bragg's acv or a similar unpasteurized organic variety which contains "the mother" which is a weblike cloudy mess in the bottle that contains the beneficial enzymes - it cost me $3.49 or so for about a quart size bottle...you are sooo close to 2-dorland - you'll be eating berries by february...

wow, marilee, no one is gonna recognize you if you keep this up!...

farmgirl, okay, i am designating myself as your math tutor...197 minus 9.5 = 187.5...obviously you are much better at losing weight than you are at math
btw, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, i weighed in today, and once again i have no idea how this happened but i went from 212 lbs. two days ago, to 210 yesterday, to 206 today...there is no way i lost that much fat so my conclusion is that the acv is a powerful diuretic and the two shots i did yesterday flushed a lot of fluid out of my system...

in any event, i am down 3 lbs. from last week, 2 lbs. below my weekly goal and now a mere 6 lbs. from 1derland!...i've lost a total of 39 lbs. since joining blitz I on 4-7-10 and i am seeing 206 on the scale for the first time in at least 18 years...

i'm very happy right now...my goal for this week will be to lose 1 lb. and get down to 205...thanks for all the help guys - i couldn't do any of this without you!

Last edited by tony8; 01-14-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #257
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
ff, make sure to get the bragg's acv or a similar unpasteurized organic variety which contains "the mother" which is a weblike cloudy mess in the bottle that contains the beneficial enzymes - it cost me $3.49 or so for about a quart size bottle...you are sooo close to 2-dorland - you'll be eating berries by february...

wow, marilee, no one is gonna recognize you if you keep this up!...

farmgirl, okay, i am designating myself as your math tutor...197 minus 9.5 = 187.5...obviously you are much better at losing weight than you are at math btw, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, i weighed in today, and once again i have no idea how this happened but i went from 212 lbs. two days ago, to 210 yesterday, to 206 today...there is no way i lost that much fat so my conclusion is that the acv is a powerful diuretic and the two shots i did yesterday flushed a lot of fluid out of my system...

in any event, i am down 3 lbs. from last week, 2 lbs. below my weekly goal and now a mere 6 lbs. from 1derland!...i've lost a total of 39 lbs. since joining blitz I on 4-7-10 and i am seeing 206 on the scale for the first time in at least 18 years...

i'm very happy right now...my goal for this week will be to lose 1 lb. and get down to 205...thanks for all the help guys - i couldn't do any of this without you!
OK, Maybe I had a blond moment.......
it has been 20+ years since I took any type of math..............I did get through calculus in college.and I do have a BS in Biology and a MS in Invertebrate Bio......................Dang.....Should have paid more attention in my basic math in elementary school!!!!

OK, so I have only lost 8.5 lbs.!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well excuse me, ms. smarty pants!... i was pretty good in math UNTIL college calculus...then i started paying more attention to the girls than derivatives

actually, i wasn't trying to reduce your loss total, i thought you only weighed 187.5 - i thought my correction would cause you to lower your weight...thinking about it now, that seems pretty dumb sorry...i owe ya one...:blush:

did you say you ONLY lost 8.5 pounds???!!! show-off!

Last edited by tony8; 01-14-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Wow, sounds like you all are doing great! Tomorrow will be the first official week for me, so I'll keep you posted!
So I was just wondering what do you all struggle with the most? For me, I always seem to crave sweets at night. So, as long as I don't keep them in my house, I'm fine
Old 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi artemis! good luck tomorrow...for me, it's not so much sweets, and if i do get a craving, i satisfy it with either sf strawberry jello (15 cals) or sf dark chocolate jello pudding (60 cals) with a dollop of whipped cream...very satisfying...

my downfall is salty snacks - i love nachos, chips, popcorn, etc....the salt causes me to retain water and i usually eat more of them than i should and that brings my carb count way up...it's a bad combination for me, and i struggle with it...the best method is keeping it out of the house, but i don't always do that...

the other bad habit i have is grazing all night...i do great during the day - small, snacky protein-based meals and snacks - but at night i have access to a lot of food and a wide variety and i make regular trips to the kitchen...usually on-plan food, but i can go overboard on those as well...

what has saved me is eating only a few hundred calories before 6 p.m. every day...if it wasn't for that, i'd be in big trouble...

since i have been losing weight steadily, i have not felt the need to resort to this yet, but i have toyed with the idea of banning myself from the kitchen after 9 p.m....some nights i don't get home til 8 or so, so i really don't want to limit myself that way unless i really stall and need to take drastic measures ( i know it may not seem drastic, but... :-)

so, i struggle with everything, but those are the two biggest battles i fight!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Such good news from this great bunch of LOSERS!! Congratulations to all!
WOW!

I wonder what this forum could be in the future, like in a science fiction movie, where instead of typing on a computer, we'd all be hanging out in a 3D hologram chatroom and our avatars would be ourselves, and we could post up 3D projections of what we will look like in our goal weight and cheer each other on for a24-7 "losers party."
Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #262
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Wow, sounds like you all are doing great! Tomorrow will be the first official week for me, so I'll keep you posted!
So I was just wondering what do you all struggle with the most? For me, I always seem to crave sweets at night. So, as long as I don't keep them in my house, I'm fine
My DH loves sweets, so we always have cookies, brownies...you name it on hand for him.

If I am wanting something sweet, I keep fresh blueberries in the fridge and grab a handfull of those for desert.

If I want salty and cruch, I go for the nuts!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #263
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlansHollowFarms View Post
My DH loves sweets, so we always have cookies, brownies...you name it on hand for him.

If I am wanting something sweet, I keep fresh blueberries in the fridge and grab a handfull of those for desert.

If I want salty and cruch, I go for the nuts!
My STBDH likes sweet things, but thank goodness he doesn't have to have them in the house. He can buy a candy bar and calm that urge.

Boy, I go bonkers with nuts in the house. I need to learn that they and cheese are binge foods for me despite the LC status.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congratulations losers!

Stayed on plan today, but since I lost weight today, I probably won't show a loss tomorrow and that's fine! I'm pretty happy with 15 pounds in 14 days.

I'm a little tired so I'm going to sign off and wish you all pleasant dreams!

See you tomorrow
Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Wow, you guys are losing at an amazing pace! I've done really well myself this week. I think I'm down about 4lbs--some of which is water because I'm in pretty deep ketosis right now, which really helps with the hunger. I've got a cold right now and am taking it easy on the exercise, but probably will clean some house tommorrow.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey jenny, happy to hear you're having a good week...4 lbs. is 4 lbs. no matter what it consists of...nice job...you're gaining momentum at the right time...still 4 or 5 weeks to go til hawaii, right?...

marilee, that is incredible...you're headed for 2derland during this blitz, kid...awesome!!!

farmgirl i love blueberries too...my problem is that i always want to throw them in a bowl of cereal...same with bananas...

i had a very good day today...ate moderately and on-plan...not my usual m.o. after getting a good weigh-in...trying to keep heading in the right direction for as much of the weekend as possible...if i don't dig myself a hole i have to dig out of all next week, it will be a refreshing change... :-)
Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Quote:
well, i weighed in today, and once again i have no idea how this happened but i went from 212 lbs. two days ago, to 210 yesterday, to 206 today...there is no way i lost that much fat so my conclusion is that the acv is a powerful diuretic and the two shots i did yesterday flushed a lot of fluid out of my system

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlansHollowFarms View Post
OK, so I have only lost 8.5 lbs.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinchster View Post
I think I'm down about 4lbs--some of which is water because I'm in pretty deep ketosis right now, which really helps with the hunger. I've got a cold right now and am taking it easy on the exercise, but probably will clean some house tommorrow.
Hope you feel better soon, jfinchster!

I ate out twice yesterday (Indian and Kebab) and stayed broadly on plan, so am quite pleased. Feeling a little after drinking a bit too much last night (note to self, red wine and gin & tonic are a particularly toxic combination ), so that's my lot alcohol-wise for the rest of the month. Already turned down all of the 'night out' invitations for this month and next, so there will be no temptation ! Everybody thinks I'm being very anti social, but I don't care .

No idea how I'm doing weight-wise, but am averaging around 20g net carb and 1,500 calories per day according to ******, so fingers crossed there will be something positive reflected on the scales by the end of this Blitz! Hoping for around 1lb per week on average.

For apple cider vinegar drinkers, I find the 'Higher Nature' brand far more palatable than the 'Braggs' brand - it's not as harsh, somehow. No idea if it's just a UK brand, though.

Last edited by clanger; 01-15-2011 at 02:28 AM..
Old 01-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey clanger, way to go, girl!...learning to say "no" is a major hurdle in all of this, and being a bit anti-social is far better than staying on the same up and down ride for months on end...i'm proud of you...

on the taste of bragg's: it has to either be killing me or doing some good...
Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Well it seems I lost track of what day it is because tomorrow is my 1 week mark, not today! All the same, I have lost 5.5 lbs this week and I am hoping for another 0.5 to put me at an even 6. But weekends seem to be more difficult
Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As I thought, no loss today but not concerned.

Today I am taking a break from my chores. I'm going to rest my knee, stay in my pj's and get caught up on reading my mystery books

TTYL
Closed Thread