Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #1081
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
i don't know if this has been having any effect, but i have been taking one or two doses of apple cider vinegar a day for the past several weeks...

was just reading articles on how plateaus are good and necessary in dieting as it allows our bodies to readjust to new weight levels...i'm not gonna get discouraged the next time i hit one - which will probably be pretty soon...my body will react to me losing several pounds in 2 weeks...that's how we are designed not to starve!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #1082
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Down another lb today and it's my Birthday!

I will not be eating off plan or any cake... I am going to to a Spa with my sister for soaking in steam room, sauna and hot tub and am considering getting a foot massage (that beats cake anyday!)

I'm getting closer to my pre-Hawaii low and feel like I can do it now!

Have a good day everyone.

Jenny
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #1083
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Happy Birthday Jenny, and what a wonderful spa day you are going to have!
Wow!!! You are going to be so relaxed and yes, you deserve it!!

Tony, great job on the 202, wowee!! Your statement of "I am proud of myself for turning the disappointment into resolve rather than discouragement - i attacked my biggest weakness - nighttime grazing - by imposing the curfew, which was very hard for me to accept psychologically." In other words: you came-you saw-you kicked $#@!

Resolve, yea baby!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #1084
Major LCF Poster!

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear jenny!!!

wow, happy birthday, sis...hope you have a great day at the spa and i say "go for the foot massage!"...

thanks, nancy!...i'm feeling strong today - bought my sons a couple of steak bombs for lunch and sat in the car with them for 1/2 hour, watched them eat them and refused to partake - after only eating an hb egg and 3 chicken wings all day...i'm a man possessed right now, and i know it ain't gonna last forever!...

maybe some baked chicken tonight...
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #1085
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Happy birthday, Jenny and congratulations!

Good job Tony and Nancy....I'm so proud of you!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #1086
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, marilee - i'm proud of you too!...plus, you've carried me during this blitz... :-)

hey, where's my brother today?...i didn't think he was taking the day off?...hmmmm...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #1087
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

4 minutes to quitting time
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #1088
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 203 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Nancy WTG!!!! Love that you're in another decade, and I agree with you...everyone in this group is so encouraging and supportive....it really makes all the difference!

Jenny, Happy Birthday I'm so glad you're back on track....you CAN do this...just like we all can! A foot massage sounds like heaven

Tony....YOU ROCK!!!! A week of new lows is AMAZING!!! And I think the ACV has A LOT to do with it, I find I do better while drinking it. I try to add some to my water every day along with a little splenda or truvia....it's kind of like lemonade that way and I find that I drink tons more water I add it. And just for the record, we love you too!!!

Marilee, how are you doing girlfriend? Are you back on your drops?!?

Where are Vicki, Lizzie & FF today??

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
195 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #1089
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
emergency vacation day yesterday. leaky ceiling.

the super said he cannot do anything until the roofing people come(whevever that will be). Ergo, i live in fear of a deluge. BUT... I did not deviate from plan. I missed my weigh-in day. so, i will have to wait till next Thursday. I completed my vlc/zero carb "fast". I am back to just vlc-to 20 gr or less daily. Tonight, i am steak hunting. to Jenny. U showed great restraint on your magic day. FF
Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #1090

Tony8: do u drink that stuff straight up or can u put in a salad?d

Also how much is a dose? I do not know if i can drink vinegar straight up. How about Romulan ale? FF
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #1091
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
All

Nancy, Tony

Jenny,

Going vanity shopping today..re-doing the bathroom downstairs...Juccuzzi, and tile in already...

Haven't been on the scale yet this morning..just wish I could get into the groove..it is freezzzzzin out there..
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #1092
Senior LCF Member

Happy Friday all!

Hope everyone has a good on-plan day, with determination to stay the course. We are all captains of our own ships, and we must steer through the rough and the smooth! I can see my shoreline of Onederland through the binoculars!

My workplace Biggest Loser weigh-in this morning has me down 2.8 from last week, and home scale nekkid has me down another .5! Woo hoo. DH & me busted #@* on the elliptical last night at Planet Fitness!

Right now I am enjoying my homemade eggbeaters omelet w/sauteed mushrooms/fresh spinach/low fat feta cheese, and 1/3 avocado. Ahhhhh, life is good!

Due to my periodontal work, I still cannot have anything hard and crunchy, so the nuts and occasional cracker binges are off the rotation right now. I'm still a bit sensitive to hot-cold, so I am eating small bites, real slow, which I think is helping too...........
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #1093

good for u LiveFreeNH

i kinda miss exercise, to a certain degree. I am not understanding the need for low fat, but if it works, don't fix it. FF
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #1094
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Can't wait to start my drops tomorrow - woo hoo! Let the pounds drop off - I want to be in Twoterville!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #1095
Senior LCF Member

Marilee, we are pulling for you as you embark on your next phase tomorrow!

FF - I'm somewhat avoiding full-fat cow cheese...but last night I picked out some gorgeous huge chunks of blue cheese from a blue cheese dip. Ah heaven! I enjoy goat cheese.......

and fats like avocado, olives, olive oil and then there's always a bit of real butter on weekends when I fry eggs or do my latest concoction-experiment: daikon radish hash browns, yeah baby!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #1096
Major LCF Poster!

hey guys, great to see you this beautiful friday morning!...

ff, a dose of acv for me is about 1/4 inch in a small juice glass...i think they recommend 2 tbs. - some folks mix it in a glass of water and then add stevia, etc, but it is bad for your tooth enamel, so i try to keep it off my teeth, by just adding an inch or two of water and chugging it down...it sucks at first and then you get used to it...but you have to chase it with a good-size glass of water so it doesn't burn your esophagus...

i'm not sure it helps but i figure it can't hurt either and i'm tolerating it, so why not?...some folks swear by it, and it has centuries of mystique to it...i've read where it is not as effective if you use it in food like salads, but i'm not at all sure that is correct - i can't see why it wouldn't be...you have to use the kind that is unfiltered and has the "mother" in it...i bought bragg's and a bottle cost $3+ and lasts 3-4 weeks...

hope they get your ceiling fixed - that sucks!...and congrats staying on plan on an emergency day!

nancy, congrats on the 2.8 lbs!...i see 1derland in april for you! - hopefully with me! :-)

marilee, twoterville for you in april, girl...you really did well in your maintenance phase...the lbs. are gonna start dropping off again soon...

lizzie, if you can avoid buying the junk they sell at home depot and lowe's, do it...best of luck - the jacuzzi sounds wonderful!...

well, i weighed in at 202 today...was so happy it stuck!...that's a 4 lb. drop in one week - that has not happened in a long while and i needed it...i am less frantic about getting to 1derland by april 7th, now that i am close...seems much less important - you guys helped me see that...thank you...

now it is just trying to lose at the 1/2 to 1 lb. per week pace that seems to be healthiest...i did a quick calculation yesterday and over the past 50 weeks, i have eaten on average, 400 less calories PER DAY than is necessary to maintain my weight...many of you have done even better than that...if we can't be proud of ourselves for that, i don't know what to say...very few people are walking around accomplishing that over such a long period of time...no wonder why this isn't easy!...our bodies are constantly trying to fight the losses as well...

congrats everyone!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #1097

i think i will sit out the acv.

i have noticed more energy even though it is less than a week on the adjusted thyroid dosage. I just finished my 1st low carb tuna sandwich (i have been off low carb starch for at least a week. It was delicious.
The fiber hits me in a delayed reaction, like some hard drinks, which take a few seconds before u get the kickback. Well, the fiber takes a longer time. But now i feel no difficulty in waiting for dinner (late tonight, but before curfew). i missed weigh-in yesterday, but i am going to a WW meeting 1st thing tomorrow. i need to see how much damage I did (re:the treadmill disappointmert), and/or to what degree, if at all, the vlc/zero carb fast reversed that damage. The fast ran from 3/21/11 thru 3/24/11. Let us pray. FF
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #1098
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i don't think the acv is a magic bullet, so i don't think you're missing much - others might disagree - i'll let them weigh in if they do...you can always try it later on...

best of luck on tomorrow's weigh-in...let us know how it goes, as i learn so much listening to all of you...hey, what happened to your home internet access?...

i am starting to think that stalls are not only okay but absolutely necessary...i've been reading up on the biology of weight loss...in the past, when i plateaued, i'd get discouraged and not only quit, but start eating poorly again which led to gaining the weight back - that was my yo-yo dieting cycle...

now, when i hit a plateau, i work through it and once my body adjusts to my new weight which can take a month or two, i can tweak my eating habits again and experience a big new drop...this is a monumental revelation for me...

during blitz I i lost 23 lbs., but in blitz II i only lost 4, blitz III i lost 8 lbs., and blitz IV i stayed the same weight for 2 months before dropping 8 lbs. this month...the pattern is obvious to me now, and confirms what i have been reading...it also follows marilee's plan of losing, then maintaining, then losing again...

so i think we all should start not only accepting stalls, but embracing them...i think the trick is when we hit a plateau, to psychologically shift into "maintenance mode", where our goal becomes simply not to gain for a month or two...then once we feel ready physically - and i do think you can feel it - we start implementing changes that we think will lead to a loss and i believe it will...then we ride out the loss phase for as long as it lasts, and repeat this process til we get to goal...

it make sense to me that instead of yo-yo-ing up and down, this will lead to down and steady, then down and steady, etc...

does this make as much sense to anyone else as it does to me?...it seems like the pattern all of us who have been doing this for awhile are experiencing, but i think we are blaming stalls on bad behavior and feeling down about them...i'm suggesting we might want to rethink that...

Last edited by tony8; 03-25-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #1099

there are plateaus & plateaus.

when i am over 170 lbs overweight, a plateau should not last for months. For me it was the thyroid. I will accept a slow weight loss, as long as it is consistent. Once I get those beach walks going, things should start accelerating. I am hoping that by mid-april, the weather should be balmy enough to begin them. But, if i continue to follow plan, there is NO LOGICAL REASON why i do not reach 2-DORVILLE by mid-April. Y'all have a great weekend-the last Blitz iv weekend. FF
Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #1100
Major LCF Poster!

good morning, guys...i couldn't get on the site last night - did anyone else have the same problem?...

ff, i think you may be right about the length of the plateau and the # of lbs. away from goal we are - and if the thyroid is involved, it probably changes everything...

took my son and 2 of his friends to the movies last night...had a few handfuls of popcorn - didn't overdo it, but should have skipped it...then had a burger and some of my sons' fries at 5-guys...i feel crappy this morning...it amazes me how much different i feel when i go off plan, even to a moderate degree...i wonder if i used to feel like this all the time and THOUGHT i felt good???...just generally tired, bloated, sluggish, not as alert, etc...

back on the horse...sheesh...

hope everyone else had a great night...i'll check back in a bit...
Old 03-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #1101
Senior LCF Member

Mornin all!

Tony, what movie did you see?

The plateau is the body resetting itself to the new weight. I plateau'd at 228 from Sept. through Thanksgiving. My body was probably saying to the scale, "whoa, what is this lady doing? Does she actually think she's going to lose weight? Well, by golly, she's got another thing coming...."

FF, glad you got your thyroid med adjusted, it really does make a difference!
Hope your ceiling situation is getting under control!

Had some folks over for dinner last night, grilled steak plus a roasted medley of low-glycemic veg, sauteed mushrooms and a lovely salad. Hubby forgot to get potatoes as I thought my guests would enjoy a baked po, but what the heck, everyone got their fill without them. I ate 6 oz of my steak and the rest is in the fridge for brekkie today after the gym. A friend brought over a few brownies so we split those into quarters and I had my "taste." And a few glasses of Smoking Loon. ahhhh.....a pleasant evening!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #1102
Major LCF Poster!

hey nancy, we saw "limitless" with bradley cooper and robert deniro...we liked it! :-) i wish i had eaten your dinner instead of mine!...sounds delicious...

still feeling the effects of the carbs or the junk or both...definitely not worth it...to tell you the truth, i'm not even enjoying eating the stuff that isn't good for me anymore...i guess i think i will and so i do, and then i'm disappointed...in the scheme of things, this is a good, as i keep moving further and further away from my old ways of eating...

i felt better when i was starving myself this week, and on top of how i feel, the scale shot up 3 lbs. this morning to 205...i know that's not all real weight, but still...

hope you guys are having a great saturday...see ya in a bit...
Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #1103

for the price of a small movie popcorn...

i can buy 40 acres of corn, and feed it to the swine. i NEVER buy movie food. for the prices they charge, they can afford to give the tickets away for free. If i really felt the need to eat or drink at the cinema (and i NEVER do), i would sneak in my own low carb stuff, solid & liquid, and the phone #s of 1/2 dozen Drs. & lawyers, if the staff try to give me any trouble. while we are talking, i have the Met Opera broadcast going; Tchaikovsky's Pique Dame. I also have quite a large pack of chicken drumsticks defrosting, with which i am making oven fried drumsticks, using my trusted pulverized porkrinds as the breading. Today's BKFST:2 scr eggs with 2 oz Hillshire 0 carb sausage, & 1/2 small can of mushrooms stems & pieces.(2 gr net) LUNCH: Swiss Miss Diet HC/whipped cream (5 gr net) DINNER: 4 of those drumsticks with a stirfry of veggies incl 1/2 portion of Dreamfields, and 1 oz of Victoria marinara sauce(6 gr net) Optional snack, if needed, before 9pm-another wing or 2. Owing to the new thyroid dosage and a 2nd cup of joe at 5:30pm, i wound up pulling an all-nighter till about 4:am...reading & listening to the radio at a very low volume. I'm a good neighbor, I am. It was quite delightful. I had my water with me. no trips to the kitchen, only to the bathroom. What else? Oh yeah.. WEIGH-IN!!! 3.2 lbs D O W N!!! current stats: 372.8/302.2/140-150?? 70.6 lbs total loss. Perhaps, by Thursday 4/1/11, dare I even think it??? 2-DORVILLE? we shall see. FF
Old 03-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #1104
Major LCF Poster!

WOW, FF...that is so FANTASTIC!!!!!!...2-dorville is in your sights!!!...this is a new low, right?...way to go, bro!

i see you got the internet working at home - good - it can get lonely around here on the weekend...lol...btw, i'd pay double the cost of the cinema food, if they'd just hide it when i walk into the lobby :-)

good day so far:
b: baked chicken
l: cheese stick
s 1: a few pistachios
s 2: a few pieces of cut-up, fresh fruit
d: NOT burgers and fries
Old 03-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #1105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everybody!

FF-you are awesome! Twoterville is coming very soon!

Tony, they were servicing the site yesterday afternoon like the do occasionally so we had to suffer from withdrawal!

I started taking my drops today and I'm so happy. I have to confess I gained 8 pounds over my window while I was sick - too much soup and crackers and "feel good" food and too much sugar in the Day Care and Nyquil. I'm still not up to par but I don't care. I want to go back on my limited diet of regular healthy food. Today and tomorrow are load days, but I'm making them easy because I gained so much.

Oh, well....."stuff" happens!

Marilee
Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #1106
Major LCF Poster!

hey marilee, it sucks being sick - your whole metabolism gets messed up and you have to eat differently, etc...i think you did great limiting the damage, as you were down and out for quite a stretch!...best of luck with the drops...i know you're hitting twoterville in blitz V - that will be soooo exciting!...
Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #1107

what drops are they, Marilee?

frightfully sorry u were sick. i have been taking quite a lot of vitamins incl 2000 mg of vit c daily plus whatever amt is in the veggies. I postponed the chicken for tomorrow, and did my chinese repertoire (4 gr net). no snack necessary, just my diet choc soda and water. if i do not finish the soda by 9 PM, the remainder goes back in the fridge. i resisted the temptation to have a 2nd coffee today. I will stick with only 1 tomorrow, and thereafter. I will have tea at B&N tomorrow, and save the java for THE LOW CARB BAKERY. Will I have the cheesecake, the tiramisu, the gelato, the muffin? Je ne sais pas, maintenant. My French is getting better. FF
Old 03-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #1108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

FF-I am doing homeopathic hcg. BTW, tres bien! Je parle francais un peu, aussi!

It's allergy season in Phoenix and it seems most of the population is suffering. I spoke to the pharmacist today about "drying up" my lungs and sinuses - she has it too! - besides going to the doctor, which I don't want to do, she said to keep taking my Zyrtec and she recommended Musinex so I got some of that - hope it helps!

Anywho.....enough of that!

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #1109
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i'm impressed how disciplined you are being about curfew...it may not make a huge difference, but it HAS to help...i'm going to that LC bakery with you before this is all said and done...

marilee, i never would have thought allergies would be bad in arizona - i thought that's why so many people migrate there...hope you find relief soon!...

i ate a bit too much last night - saved by the curfew once again...i think losing 4 lbs. in one week so close to 1derland has set my body up to want to gain some of it back...i just don't want to give it ALL back...

i bought some sirloin strips on sale yesterday and may throw them on the grill tonight...then i will shoot for a fairly spartan week to try to stay as close to 202 as possible...
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #1110
Major LCF Poster!

a cautionary tale...

friday, i was at an all-blitz low of 202 - had lost 5 lbs. in 2 weeks - feeling great...

friday and saturday, i eat very well and not much during both days, but off-plan to a moderate degree at night - not binging - but more carbs than usual and more on-plan food than i had been eating...still followed the 9 p.m. curfew...

results: this morning the scale read 207 - up 5 lbs. since friday morning!...i mean this is BRUTAL!...please allow me to vent for a minute...it is so hard to believe that my metabolism is so sensitive that i can add 5 lbs. after 2 off-plan meals...what the heck?!!...

now maybe i deprived myself too much last week and some of the 4 lbs. were water or something, but sheesh!...

okay, done venting...i'm not even excited about the steak i was gonna throw on the grill tonight...might make it for the kids and skip mine...we'll see how i feel later...

thanks for listening...

Last edited by tony8; 03-27-2011 at 07:25 AM..
Closed Thread