Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #541
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
184 today, Yahoo. That is 13.5 lbs since Saturday, I am on a roll . . . . finally. WHEW

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #542
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
good for u, Vicki

i am so glad for yours and everyone else's success. My turn is coming. FF
Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/225.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, what do you mean your turn is coming???...you've led this loss-parade for 10 months, brother...

guys, if i have learned one thing during these 4 blitzes, it is this: our bodies do not want to give up their fat reserves and they don't, without a fight...in the past, plateaus would discourage me and i'd go back to my old woe...it's an old jedi body trick :-) the fact is, if you eat healthier and fewer calories than you burn, and if you reduce processed food, junk food and useless carbs, you WILL lose weight...every time i've stalled for any length of time, if i was honest with myself, it was my fault...often, my desire for off-plan food was satiated by overeating on-plan food and the increased calories caused the stall...

i'm not saying that is what any of you are experiencing, just being honest about what i have experienced...when i am really really good, i lose (even if slowly) and when i push the envelope, i either stall or gain...to my credit, i have not allowed myself to gain more than a few pounds before i make a correction, but all my cycling is leading to a very slow trend downward...

so, don't expect 20 lb. or even 10 lb. losses every month beyond the first one or two, or except when you are really being strict...just don't allow yourself to lose ground, and follow the plan that gives you a reliable, steady loss...in my opinion, that will be the plan we can live with for the rest of our lives...

kbeth, i am 100% on board with the idea that "all or nothing" can only work in short spurts...if i'm gaining, i will punish myself by being stricter, but once i start losing again, i feel better about rewarding myself with something totally off-plan if it is something i really want...like you, i don't look at that as a weakness...

and that is one reason why i think what ff did last week was healthy and probably necessary and will help him in the long run even if it cost him a couple of pounds in the short term...we have to feel like we are in control - we cannot feel like prisoners, even if it is a self-imposed sentence...i am convinced of that...

slow and steady and stay on an even-keel emotionally...that's my take anyway! :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 02-04-2011 at 05:01 AM..
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #544
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, misty, wish i lived near YOUR grocery store...that sounds like a real deal!

congrats vicki!...you've been a woman possessed these past few weeks - kudos!

nancy, when i stand sideways, you can still hide a barrel of pickles behind me

where's jenny???
Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Ok so I am really confused with what my body is doing! The low carb lifestyle used to work for me so well. This time around I just keep swelling up like a balloon! I think it's all the salt that is in meats? I dunno, it's making me grumpy to keep restricting myself diet-wise and then to have these bloating issues
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #546
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

artemis, i'm not a doctor or even a dietician, but if you are bloating, you are probably taking in too much salt...

it is easy to add too much salt to your diet without knowing it...most processed food is loaded with it, but marinades, dressings, seasonings etc. often have tons of salt as well...use salt-free spices on your meat - avoid deli meats - and if you eat out, ask them to prepare your food without salt...most places are used to that request and accommodate you happily...

once you stock up on salt-free spices and rubs, you'll be amazed at how awesome tasting your food can be without salt...

in the meantime, you might want to look into adding acv to your diet for a few days - for me it has acted as a diuretic and might help you lose some of the fluid you are retaining...

good luck and keep us posted... :-)
Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/233/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Morning! Hope everyone is doing well today.

Ah Tony, what good words of wisdom...I kind of transgressed last night on some gluten-free multigrain crackers (how stupid to buy them and then have them in the passenger seat to munch on as I drove home, DUH!!!)...but got my fix and will move on. I seem to have a small transgression weekly...recognize what I've done..and remind myself of upcoming events (March 2 doc appt) so the cracker event is behind me. And two visits to Planet Fitness this weekend with hubby will help!

Vicki - WOWEE! what/how are you eating to cause such a great huge loss? You're getting a ton of exercise too which contributes I'm sure. Congrats!!!

Artemis - if you're eating deli meat products or hot dogs, etc, those have a lot of salt. If you can cook yourself a roast chicken or turkey breast, then use lower-sodium salt. Your blood pressure will thank you for it!

Misty - $1 a pound, wow! Bet your furbabies thought it was Christmas! You can make a really nice no-bean chili! ..YUM

ON THE PLUS SIDE TODAY: I am wearing a new 1X top (red, because today is WEAR RED TODAY) which is - finally - very roomy....and I am DOWN a jeans size to 16W. My co-worker gal told me I look SEX-AY today!

Stay on your course everyone....don't cave in on bad Superbowl food!!
Nancy
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #548
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Yea Nancy and Vicki!!!! Good job.

I've lost almost all of the 1.2 pounds I gained unexpectedly. So things are moving again.

Great words of wisdom, Tony.

Hey ff - "Where's the beef?"

Stay warm everyone. I'll check in later....
Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #549

its a commin', Gibby.

got me a wallet full o' McD coupons. Gonna be burgerin' all weekend long. FF
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #550
Senior LCF Member

The really frustrating thing is that I cautiously avoid salt because I know that I am very sensitive to it. And, I have medical issues which make my blood pressure really low so the Dr actually recommends that I eat more salt to get raise it. So, I don't know if I can win this one.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, you've got me craving fast food now!...i really have only had a couple of benign things (although all of it is salty, isn't it?) off a fast food menu since the start of blitz I last april...and i LOVE fast food!...

not sure about the menu for super bowl this sunday...i canceled my trip to nashville, as i have had a building collapse at my lumber yard and i need to focus on that right now...the good thing about songwriting is that you can do it virtually ANYWHERE!...of course, it's a lot better when you are co-writing with your buddies :-)

almost every country song you hear on the radio was co-written by 2-3 writers and usually NOT by the singer...thought you might find that interesting...

:-)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #552

as i do not add salt in cooking, or at the table....

if something has salt already in it...so be it. too much deprivation leads to off-plan eating...with a vengeance. Have a wonderful and creative time in Nashville, Tony. Perhaps u will write a song with a low carb theme to it. Throw in a pick-up truck, a 3 legged hound dog, and an ex wife, and i am certain it will be a Grammy winner. If everything goes right, i may be posting at from home from now on. FF
Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #553
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, my trip to n-ville has been canceled, so i'll be staying close to my computer waiting for the unveiling of your first home pc post...you know the songwriting drill, brother - i feel a collaboration coming on!...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #554
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm here and I'm doing okay, staying on plan but haven't lost anything this week and really struggling with HUNGER--I feel like I could eat anything and everything in sight...oh well, I did lose quite a bit quickly and I guess my body didn't like it...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #555
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
TGIF!!!!

What a week!

Well I'm back to playing with the same 2 pounds again. My calories aren't crazy so I know it's just my body adjusting to all of the changes. I have had a couple of unusually carby days...though not necessarily BAD carbs...still a bit carby. I'm going to have to focus on cooking this weekend and get all my usual favorites stocked up in the fridge to make next week easier.

Super Bowl temptation WON'T be a problem because we're staying home and so I control the food! I already told hubby he can plan on a cheese and cold cut platter with some veggies and nuts on the side. Wise man that he is, he said that sounded great to him!

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend and that your team wins!!!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
ff, what do you mean your turn is coming???...you've led this loss-parade for 10 months, brother...
Seconded! Without our esteemed leader, where would we all be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
kbeth, i am 100% on board with the idea that "all or nothing" can only work in short spurts...if i'm gaining, i will punish myself by being stricter, but once i start losing again, i feel better about rewarding myself with something totally off-plan if it is something i really want...like you, i don't look at that as a weakness...
I think that's true for some people, and not for others. I know that, every time I've dieted in the past, a 'treat' has led me completely off track and I've found myself even fatter than when I started within months !

I read Amazon.com: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (Borzoi...Amazon.com: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (Borzoi... by Gary Taubes, and that helped me to understand the physiological component behind overconsumption of carboyhydrate (in some people). Before reading the book, had anybody claimed that carbohydrates could, for some people, be addictive I would have found the concept ridiculous, and merely an excuse for lack of self-control and gluttonous behaviour.

I'm now fully convinced of the addiction model for some people, and I honestly believe that - given my own biology - I am best staying completely free of starch and sugar. I find it extremely liberating (and would urge everybody to get hold of the book!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Ok so I am really confused with what my body is doing! The low carb lifestyle used to work for me so well. This time around I just keep swelling up like a balloon! I think it's all the salt that is in meats? I dunno, it's making me grumpy to keep restricting myself diet-wise and then to have these bloating issues
How much water are you drinking, artemis19? Just wondering if you need to increase it to flush your system. Alternatively, could it be an allergy? Have you introduced any new foods lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE_FREE_NH View Post
ON THE PLUS SIDE TODAY: I am wearing a new 1X top (red, because today is WEAR RED TODAY) which is - finally - very roomy....and I am DOWN a jeans size to 16W. My co-worker gal told me I look SEX-AY today!
Yay ! It's great to get compliments like that - what a lovely thing for her to say !

They say that size doesn't matter , but I beg to differ . Every inch counts . I've just discovered that I am not, in fact, five foot one and a bit, but a mere five foot nothing ! How could I have gone through my entire adult life (and I'm knocking on a bit now) thinking I was an entire inch taller than I actually am ? I was just on the cusp of being no longer obese, and now I learn that I need to lose another 7 lbs to hit that milestone .

I'm devastated ! And grudgingly about to change my signature to reflect my new 'goals'.

Last edited by clanger; 02-05-2011 at 05:44 AM..
Old 02-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #557
Senior LCF Member

Ok so I've gained like 4 lbs of water weight the past 2 days! I don't know what's going on, but since I'm iced in today I'm planning to drink water until the cows come home (or until the ice melts)...whichever comes first! Hope you are all doing better than I am!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #558
Blabbermouth!!!

(((((artemis)))))))

I was so glad to have breakfast today! But, the detox day juice fast was worth it. 180.5! Down 17 lbs in a week. YIPEE. However, it seems body hasn't caught up because some clothes I still can't fit into.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Good morning! Quick fly-by as it's another busy day.

NEW NUMBERS!!!!! I lost the 1.2 pounds I gained AND lost an additional 1.2. I can smell Twoterville!

Was a little hungry this morning so I had some ff chicken broth. It's cold, too so it tasted and felt good.

Sorry to be in a rush - I'll check back later!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #560
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Marilee that's fabulous, way to go!!!

Vicki...tell us more about the detox juice fast?????? I for one would love to know about it....

Artemis You'll be fine....it'll all flush out and you'll get a nice whoosh!! I'm with you though, I really need to be better about drinking my water!

Hope everyone has a super great day!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi jenny - good for you for not giving in to the hunger...when i am feeling that now - thanks to you - i drink a couple of glasses of water and eat something on-plan and then wait 30 minutes and usually, i'm all set...hunger has to be defeated - we can't live with that feeling for too long...your trip is coming up...i bet that tankini's looking hot

clanger, you are definitely right - sorry of i implied that off-plan eating can work for everyone...it would not have even worked for me during the first blitz - but as time has gone by, i have developed the ability to eat something off plan without craving more off-plan stuff...i am sure some of that ability is biological...each of us has to know our limits and i have plenty!

lady, i wouldn't worry too much about the few pounds you gain and lose daily...that's normal...that's why i have a daily weigh-in just to see the effects of what i have eaten, and one "official" weekly weigh-in, which is more accurate at showing trends...

artemis, i'm not a doc, so take this with a grain of - oops, but i'm not so sure that increasing blood pressure by prescribing increased salt and fluid is a common recommendation...i can't believe that making someone retain water until they feel uncomfortably bloated is ever a good idea...

i would talk to your doc again, describe what's happening and maybe seek a different approach...generally speaking, excess salt and fluid puts a strain on our hearts and lungs...and there are meds that can increase your blood pressure without causing you to retain fluids...i know that cuz my mom was on them for years... :-)

vicki, you might be carrying us in february, girl...nice job!!!

marilee, congrats on the loss - yet again!...good luck with your busy day!

my daily weigh-in showed i'm up 2 lbs. since yesterday...i will practice what i preach and keep on keepin on!

Last edited by tony8; 02-05-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #562
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/139/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
Ok the weekends here and I'm down another lb. I think changing my plan a bit is whats doing it, plus the water.

Tony ss your trip to Nashville was cancelled, hope can reschedule to trip.Interesting learning that it takes a few writters to complete a song. I new that most singers don't write there own. Do you ever get singer to request a song to be written?

Well the Super Bowl is tomorrow so I hope everyone stays on plan as best they can. We're having a big party but I'm all set. Just got to stay away from the wine. That's the hard part.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #563
Blabbermouth!!!

Yea, Marilee, so close.

Tammy, it is Ann Louise Gittleman's Fast Track Detox Diet. There is too much about specific foods to eat to post. You might be able to check it out from library though.

ff, I know you can do it.

Tony, you have a positive attitude.

Misty, I hope you are making some LC snacks for you.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #564

u,Blitzers. have the honour of being the 1st...

venture into my own personal 21st century experience. i am not sure how i accessed the web,l but i am still incapable of accessing e-mail. however, after all my chores are done, and i have recharged my phone, i will take advantage of their 24/7 tech support svc for a free 30 day period. i am hopeful they will talk me thru my difficulties. i will talk more tomorrow.HEWMON technology will make me old before my time. FF
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #565
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey ff!!!!!...i am honored to be the first to respond to your first home post!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #566
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi misty, i'm down there about once a month...while singers don't generally request songs directly from writers, there are "tip sheets" which let us know when a singer is looking for certain types of songs...they usually hint at who the singer is but don't identify them openly...

it's s longshot to get something on the radio - about 250,000 songs are written a year by 40,000 writers for 550 slots on CDs...but i'm lucky enough to be writing on music row and to have some of my songs published by the top people in the industry...i write alone when i'm home and co-write when i'm in n-ville...pretty cool job :-)

marilee, we have to celebrate when you hit the 2s...i'm so psyched!!!!

vicki, thanks - i am a very positive person - i think it beats the alternative!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #567
Senior LCF Member

Ok, so I drank over a gallon of water yesterday and not only did I NOT lose any of the salt weight, I woke up with really horrible stomach cramps! Really, does the fun ever end?!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #568
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/139/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
I'm already setting up for our party today, one of my friends and I cook tons of food all day. And 80 % is LC. I figure others will be bring alot of high carb junk food. Glad my friend is a long time LCer, she keep me on track. Hope everyone has a successfull LC day if your going to or having a party.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Still bouncing around up and down within the same 2lb range and not seeing any new low number...I might just stop weighing for a few days because to be honest I'm getting a little frustrated. I just need to focus on the positive, I have lost alot in the last few months and look and feel much better.

I did drink a couple of glasses of red wine last night with a friend--the first I've had since Christmas/New Years...other than that I've been eating really well
yesterday had:

small portions stirfried baby bok choy, pork and eggplant (homemade--low carb)
1/2 cup homeade beef vegetable soup--1/2 chix breast
about 1.5 cups cesear salad,
1/2 cup in the shell pistachios, two glasses red wine.

Not eating a whole lot of food in quanity and all low carb...Maybe this next week will be the one I drop 3lbs!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jenny, don't get discouraged...you dropped so much weight so quickly, your body is hanging on to what's left for dear life...plateaus are part of the process of losing...if they last too long, then you try to shake things up in some way, but you may have to accept that you really rocked the last 5+ months and need to pat yourself on the back and be happy just not to gain until you take your vacation...

once you get back from hawaii, you can start focusing on trying to lose again...for now, eat well and healthy (which you obviously are!), keep exercising, and give yourself the credit you deserve...you are not yo-yo-ing - you are simply pausing your downward losses for a brief period...you're doing GREAT!!!

misty, i'll be over shortly :-)

artemis, maybe you could start posting your daily menu - that might give some of the more knowledgeable dietician-types around here (not me!) insights into what may be causing the trouble...

ff, where are you???
Closed Thread