Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hi jenny...yup, it can be...

i caved and had some movie popcorn yesterday - took my son to see "secretariat" - good movie, btw...lol...

i'm an idiot for doing the popcorn - feel crappy as a result...was feeling so good for a few days...it ticks me off and makes me realize who the culprit is in all this - ME...

back on plan today, but it's gonna take me 2-3 days of strictly no carbs at all to get this insulin lag out of my system...ugh!

be back later - hopefully with a little clearer head...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

happy saturday!

well, i'm back - don't all jump up and applaud at once - we don't want to scare anyone away

having a good day...some chicken wings for breakfast and a small piece of string cheese for lunch...not sure about dinner yet except that it will be LC...

hope you are all enjoying a great weekend...<is there an echo in here?>
Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
Tony, Tony, Tony what are you doing to yourself and why? Ok you will make up for it tonight by going to bed a little hungry. This is what I have been doing so I know it works. When you get down closer to your goal it keeps getting harder and you lose the incentive. I just eat a little less at dinner or your snack whatever is your last meal.

You don't want to be too hungry just a slight bit. It's like learning to be a skinny person. You eat a little less than what you would normally have. It might work for you? I think I was used to eating a lot at night so I wouldn't lay there hungry. What I was doing was over-doing it b/c I was sooo afraid of being hungry. So most of the time I ate too much, and was uncomfortable from it.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi jylly, thanks for all the great advice and for sharing your experience... :-)

my slip-up this week was the popcorn yesterday...why did i do it?...no excuses - just a lack of discipline...i bought my son a small bag and it was right there and i was hungry and i took a few handfuls...it was bad behavior and i feel badly about it...the honest truth is that i did not become overweight by accident - and i am struggling changing some of the behavior that led to it...

the good news is that today i am only two pounds heavier than my 15-year low...and i'm not giving up...i'm gonna beat this...

i've had a good day today...one day at a time...i'm at one good day in a row :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
tony...I wasn't going to post (still feeling crummy dagnabit) but I just wanted to give you some moral support. I have absolutely no tidbits of wisdom to impart...just wanted to let you know that I am here. To um, support you. Morally.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kbeth, you are so sweet...thanks so much for the moral support...it really does help and i really do appreciate it...

i'm sorry you still aren't feeling well hope you wake up feeling a lot better tomorrow...
Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

happy sunday everyone!!!...

i'm primed for a great day today!...it will be two in a row and 5 out of the last 6...i know, it's a stretch, but i'm trying to look at the positive...

actually i've been beating myself up a lot lately for a few bad food choices, but i decided to pat myself on the back today and focus on what i have achieved so far:
1. i am 29 pounds lighter than i was when i started this in april
2. i have lost over 10% of my body weight and made it halfway to my goal weight
3. i completely turned around my blood test results
4. i have taken 6 inches off my waistline
5. i feel so much better
6. and i have met all you guys!

i'm a light-year ahead of where i was, so i'm gonna just keep at it and work even harder and get to where i wanna be...

let's make this the week where we gain strength by celebrating what we HAVE achieved so far!...good luck, kids...

p.s. it's morning, kbeth, are you feeling better?...hope so!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Still germy and fever-y, but my attitude and energy are better, so I've decided to rejoin the living and get some things done around here. Besides, the kitchen is starting to smell bad and I fear I might lose my job.

tony...I wasn't trying to be flip when I posted my "moral support." I could just tell you were giving yourself a beating and I was hoping to make you laugh.
Your attitude today is right on-point. You are much better off--on so many levels--than you were just a few months ago. Besides, you DID see 216 this week. Even tho we are all trying not to let the scale mess with us...it just shows that your body is ready to drop some. You've just got to follow the plan!!!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi kbeth, i soooo did NOT think you were being flip - that's why i said it was very sweet of you to offer me moral support - it helped me a lot and when i woke up this morning, i had a more positive attitude...thanks so much!

happy to hear you are at least up and about...as for losing your job, i'm betting it doesn't pay that well anyway!

don't overdo it today - those fevers have a way of hanging on if you don't get enough rest...

btw, kbeth and everyone - please don't ever feel that you have to be careful about what you say to me...or worry about my reaction...i am one of those people who is joking around all the time and i do not take offense at anything...i have a thick skin and can look objectively at myself (an advantage for a songwriter!), and i learn something from everyone...so please always feel free to share whatever you're thinking...

i love all you guys!

hope ff is having a good 4-day weekend and that his mom is doing better...

Last edited by tony8; 10-24-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good day today...stayed on plan and did some shopping to fill the house with a variety of on-plan meal and snack choices...for me, that is sooo important - to have a variety of good choices...if i get sick of one thing, i need to have something else healthy, handy...

not much new going on...worked and hung out with the kids, which is my activity of choice...lol...

hope everyone had a great weekend...

Last edited by tony8; 10-24-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Sure wish FF was back with us...I am anxious to know that he is holding up alright. Hopefully he can return tomorrow as planned.

Made a quadruple recipe of pumpkin sausage soup yesterday. We'll eat it til we're sick of it, then freeze some batches. It's one of those LC recipes that EVERYone loves, even carb munchers.

tony...Having things on-hand is imperative for me, too. Several nights ago I was tired, feeling crummy and started munching on cold, leftover chinese food that was def. not LC. It was just mindless snacking. If I'd only had chicken breast chunks or even some ground beef ready and waiting, I would have grabbed that instead. It was a minor slip, but still, I know I'll spend the next several days working that off.
Do you find when you eat off-plan that your hip is more painful?

LC...Yes, it was wonderful that the cavalry came to my aid! That's exactly what I called her.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Please check in and let us know!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kbeth, we're twins :-)

hi kbeth, i'm hoping the same thing you are about ff...it is so hard to have a parent so ill and to think about anything else...i'm so proud of him being able to stay on plan when under so much stress...looking forward to seeing him tomorrow...

kbeth, i do the same thing if i don't have LC choices around, so i've been trying to keep the bad choices out of the house and plenty of good choices in it...i'm learning so much going through the process this time...

my hip seems to do better the fewer carbs i eat...i'm guessing LC helps keep the inflammation down...just another reason to stay on plan...like i needed any more reasons

gonna have another good day today...planning on a hard boiled egg for breakfast and another for lunch...seemed to do well last week on that regimen and the egg satisfied me quite well with a big glass of water - wasn't hungry for 3 hours or so afterward...maybe some salmon or turkey burgers for dinner...we'll see...

hope everyone's having a great day so far...see y'all in a bit...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kbeth, i'm starting to feel like "daddy ff" took all the other kids on a 4-day vacation and they left you and me behind!

i know i deserve it, but you got stuck here with me...they probably couldn't find you under the blankets...

good day so far...stuck with the two eggs...gonna pick up some turkey burgers on the way home...i'll broil them and they will make a good breakfast or lunch tomorrow too...

feelin' strong!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

okay, this is gonna be "worry day" for me...

it's 10 a.m. and no sign of ff - so i'm worried

huge storm in kbeth's area (and isn't there someone else from there?) - so i'm worried

hopefully, i'll hear from you guys that you are all okay...until then, i'm gonna worry...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 200's/1st. Goal Wt: 199 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb My Way!
Start Date: Monday! :)
Hey everyone, I am still alive and kicking but changing up some of my goals. I am taking this thing one day at a time and 10 lbs at a time. Trying not to concentrate so much on that number on that darnned scale. Tony here in MI today we will be having 60-70 miles per hr. wind and I know my kitties will not like it.
I hope everyone is working on what works best for them, I know for me I can get totally overwelmed with LC challenges etc.. so I am working on keeping it all into perspective. I WILL NOT beat myself over bad food choices I have made in the past but move on and keep moving on. Tony you are better from where you were and you have alot to be proud of. Keep on keepin' on!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm here-- I survived the weekend(traveling to parents Thursday/Friday and houseguest Sat/Sun plus a big all day party/family event in there at my aunts house) without too much damage. Ate a few things I probably shouldn't have (popcorn), wine, etc. but not too bad and was only up a pound--am now back down to where I was before the weekend. Am so ready to move down a pound in the next few day!

Hope everyone else is okay too!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
siding and cleansing

hey all!

last week we had vinyl siding put on the house and seeing as my daughter wakes up from he night's sleep or nap if i cough , i thought banging all day on the house might not go over too well. so we spent time as vagabonds at the various grandparents' homes. i missed my precious computer time during her naps everyday, though.

have been making my way through your posts and it seems like everyone is doing well, slips and all. i think looking at how far we've come is a great idea, tony. personally, i haven't had one lick of sugar, flour, or grains in over two weeks. that is huge for me. especially since two weeks again, when i did have sugar, it only lasted a day. when i used to "mess up", it would turn into a week or a month long binge. so i'm very happy about that.

i've also decided to finally tackle this candida problem. this past sunday i started the protocol. i was induction sick X 10 for two days, but am feeling better today. it's 7 days of hardcore cleansing and supplements and then another month of other supplements. still eating three meals, but sugar, starch, fruit, nut and cheese-free. yikes! i feel great because this is the first time i could ever fathom making such a commitment. in the past, i didn't want to spend the money on all the supplements (they are expensive!) when somewhere deep down i knew it would be all for naught as i wouldn't continue with the protocol, i.e. stay off sugar.

uh-oh,kid's up early, gotta go! later guys.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey maggie, great to see ya, and thanks for the understanding...sounds like you have set a good goal - ten pounds at a time sounds more achievable...good for you

hi jenny - i was wondering how you made out this weekend...you were a VERY good girl...up and down only one pound...that's an accomplishment with a full weekend of entertaining!

i am making a comeback this week...if i behave for the next couple of days, i think i can count on 216 for thursday which would be a 2 pound loss this month...i'll try not to think about the fact that 216 is still two pounds heavier than i was when i got back from nashville in mid-september!

kbeth sure didn't need this storm when she was already feeling a little under the weather...

thinking about ff and his mom...

be back in a bit!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey mama,
didn't see you there...happy you're well and that the baby got some sleep!...

congrats on the discipline and feeling better!...that's a victory for the team (you don't mind if i share in YOUR accomplishments, do you?)
Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Hi, everyone! My apologies for my impromptu absence. I didn't *mean* to not be online for almost a week. It's just that, when I looked at my schedule, I realized that, save my birthday and Thanksgiving, these were probably my last days off before Christmas week. So I ran around trying to catch up with my life and also tried to spend as many hours out walking in the autumn colors as possible. Sorry for being MIA.

The good news: I'm down 4.5 pounds since I last posted. Yay! The scale finally unstuck.

I hope FF is okay. Joining you in sending him caring thoughts, Tony.

Jylly, congrats on reaching/nearing maintenance. I love your advice to Tony.

Tony, yes, I am taking in only water on Tuesdays for October. It is not for weight loss purposes (nor has it shown any evidence of producing weight loss -- the scale is always the same on Wed. AMs). For me, it is part of a spiritual adventure I have been having this year, to detach my emotions from food and move my focus to creating the life that I want for myself. I grew up fasting periodically for religious reasons, so a 24-hour fast is not that big a deal to me. However, when I was hooked on sugar, junkfood, caffeine and dairy, it became a really big deal to me and I stopped fasting for decades. Over the last few years, I have eased back into it gradually. Now that I don't have any foods/substances that "sing" to me, I find it incredibly easier to be fasting again. Personally, I don't feel it is something that should be undertaken solely for weight loss purposes. (It may reduce your calories one day a week, but it also minutely slows your metabolism when it does, which seems like a zero-sum game.) But that's just my opinion. There are certainly people who feel differently about that.

Maggie, Tony and others have mentioned off-plan eating. Maybe that would be a good topic for us to discuss with the holiday season (which starts with Halloween in my mind -- my favorite holiday) bearing down on us. Here are things I have questions about:

1) If you did have an off-plan meal or food, what is your plan to address that and get back on-plan?

2) Do you have a "safety valve" to let yourself have some acceptable treats during the season? (For example, I have a day each week where my carbs/calories can be a little higher and I allow myself to eat guilt-free things I might not necessarily eat or eat in that quantity. Not off-plan food, but maybe have my way with a bag of almonds or consume mass quantities of homemade SF chocolate.)

3) Have you identified okay on-plan foods for yourself for the season? Or do you plan to allow off-plan days for certain key meals or days (Thanksgiving, 1st night of Chanukah, etc.)?

4) In your heart of hearts, what is your *real* goal for the last month of 2010: Do you want to maintain your weight, gain no more than a couple pounds, do your best to do damage-control during the season, or actually lose weight? (BTW, all of those are good goals, IMHO.)
Wt Loss in 2009: 18 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2010: 42 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2011: 6.5 lbs.
Inches lost around waist: 15
Hit 100-Pounds-Lost Mark on 7/22/10
Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Great questions Shadows and congrats on releasing 4.5 lbs

I'm not going to try to or expect to let go of any weight the week of Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas--I will be eating more of a maintience diet that is higher carb than what I'm currently eating...

I will make myself some nice low carb dishes/treats and don't intend on any deviations from low carb eating.

I know I will eat more than I ususally do during those two different weeks and also will drink some wine and these extra calories/carbs will probably pop me up hopefully no more than a pound or two on the scale--which will then take me a week to get off--thus no weightloss.

I hope to drop an average of 1.5 lbs the rest of the weeks by eating as little food as possible (while not "starving" myself) and also low carb--and not drinking any alchohol. These seem like a reasonable goals to me and so far I've stuck with it pretty well to them and am on track with my 1.5lbs a week.

I also have started lifting weights on Mondays and swim and walk a few times a week...
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi shadows, thanks for info - good to see you back and LIGHTER - that's awesome!...4.5 pounds is a lotta weight...i bet the walking helped...

good questions...for me, when i ate off-plan (and i've had two pretty bad days in the last two weeks), i felt like i had sabotaged myself and tried to have aa few really good days right afterward...

like mama said earlier, i used to let a bad day be the start of two or three or ten or a complete collapse back into old habits...the difference this time is that i have effectively stopped the bleeding after a bad day or two...and gotten back on plan with a vengeance...

i've done well if you look at it from the beginning of april, but the truth is i lost 23 pounds during blitz I, only 4 during blitz II, and if i can trust the scale the past two days I've lost 2 pounds so far in blitz III...i am not happy with my results in the last 4 months (6 pounds)...

the good news is, that i at least have kept losing and not gaining, overall...the bad news is i have not been as careful as i was the first 3 months and it has cost me in my sluggish rate of loss...and after losing over 10% of my body weight, i needed to be more disciplined to lose weight...

more good news is that i have a renewed sense of purpose right now and my eye back on the prize and my goal...i feel committed and strong and am positive about where i'm headed...

as for the holidays, there are only a few meals i am worried about - i don't really drink - and those holiday meals are more meat-oriented so i just have to severely limit the stuffing and mashed potatoes - if i eat any at all...i look at candy and sugar almost like poison right now, so i'm not worried about halloween...

so, my goal is to get to 209 by the end of the year, which will put me where i was hoping to be at the end of the last blitz...i will decide how strict i have to be based on my weight at the holidays...but i won't be cutting myself too much slack...

i have to say that this week has been easier to stay on plan because my recent deviations made me realize how much worse i feel when i am off-plan...and you guys have made all the difference in the world...i want to succeed this time, not only for myself, but for the team... :-)
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

btw, jenny i am so proud of you...the way you have approached this since the beginning of september and your results have been inspirational...you are earning your success :-)
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

jfinchester, it sounds like you have a plan, and one that has been working for you successfully so far. Your losses and your exercise are impressive.

Tony, you really sound like you're on fire to do this. So, over the next 67 days, you plan to lose 9 pounds.

Like you, I get back on plan and just go on when I have strayed off plan in any way -- or just overeaten on-plan foods. I think having my "safety valve" day has helped stop me from doing that.

I have to confess that I have a big goal and am uncertain of how realistic it is. I still have 30.5 pounds to go to Onederland, but would love to hit it by New Year's Day. Originally, I had planned to just have a maintain goal for December -- until I saw back in August that Onederland might be possible by the end of the year. I am closer to it now, but my weight loss hasn't exactly been a speed demon. It has been stop and start, which is pretty much par for the course in perimenopause. (My doctor thinks it is a miracle I managed to lose more than 10% of my body weight at this time -- and I've lost a lot more than that.)

But I do plan to give that goal my all. I plan to keep experimenting to see if anything will bring a more consistent weight loss. I also plan to continue my "safety valve" of a high cal/carb day once a week, and have it be whatever day I need it for events. I still plan to stick to my own foods, and not re-introduce grains, sugar or dairy (I don't drink, so alcohol isn't an issue).

Since I made a pact with a friend to be sugar-free for 2010 (she is being smoke-free for 2010), I don't intend to have sugary things. I plan to pick and choose my holiday gatherings, and avoid things (like cookie exchanges :roll eyes: ) that are just asking for trouble. Last holiday season, I experimented with making my own sugar-free fudge and other holiday treats, and I plan to haul out those recipes and lug my own desserts to events. I feel really grateful that I "practiced" this last year so I could do it this year when my pact makes it so much more important to me. Even though I didn't utilize it fully last year, I know LCF is a treasure-trove of LC holiday recipes -- and this year I intend to make use of it. I plan to use it to identify okay foods and menus for holiday meals.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Howdy y'all...
Haven't been blown away, but darn near. It just happened to be trash day here in the neighborhood. What a mess! Garbage and recycling bins flying thru the air. We'll have a crazy mess to clean up tomorrow.

Still under the weather, grrr. Haven't exercised in a week. I'm going for a walk tomorrow no matter what.
Hope everyone is well. I enjoyed reading of progress!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

I saw pix of that on the evening news, kbeth. Some of the damage looked scary, and all the flights out of Ohare are backed up. Glad you're okay. We're under a tornado watch here, with the same storm front moving through overnight. There were supposedly funnel cloud sightings in a few counties south and west of us, but nothing but rain and wind here yet. The full force of it is supposed to arrive somewhere between 11PM and 3AM. So I guess I'll know what happens in the morning.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

really happy to see everyone is still earthbound!...thanks for checking in kbeth... i feel better now...

i'm hoping ff just decided to take an extra day off, but he is such a creature of habit and likes to stick to plan, and that has me worried...

stay safe, shadows!...

btw, the last couple of days i've been at 216 and i'm hoping i can sustain that til weigh-in on thursday...if i do, i'll have 7 pounds to lose in 67 days, or 9+ weeks...that's almost a pound a week and is probably the proper pace for me...i was hoping to make it to 1derland by new year's, but i derailed that goal with lackluster losses for the last 4 months...

so i'll consider 209 a major success at this point :-)
Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

on a roll...

good morning, everyone!...another great day come and gone...my popcorn digression way back in the rear view mirror (jenny, what is it with me, you and the popcorn???)...

hope none of your houses look like the ones i saw on tv this morning - gosh!

i'm thinking an egg for breakfast, some baked chicken for lunch and turkey chili for supper...snacking hasn't been an issue the last few days - don't know why...i'm in one of those "zones" where it seems easy...wish every week was like this!...

but i'm gonna ride this as long as it lasts...keepin my fingers crossed...

see y'all in a bit!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
tony, glad you are in the zone! kbeth and lc and anyone else in a storm area, stay safe!

feelng better on this fourth cleansing day. these various powders i have to drnk all day leave little appetite, but i'm sure to et three times a day anyway. don't want to mess with cravings. i find if i eat too littel protein they come back. i notice what you eat tony, and it seems like i eat a lot more than you! oh well. maybe sustenance fromthe child chasing? ooh, that sounds bad. my own child...

well hope all is well with all of you. take care!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone--thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

I'm happy to report I'm down a another pound today. I have lost 14 since beginning of September which has me right on track with the 1.5 per week.

I will be walking with my sister for an hour for exercise and my eating has been right on, so I'm in a groove now too Tony--

As far as the popcorn--it's one of my all time favorite foods but only if I make it fresh popped on the stove with coconut oil and drizzle of butter at the end (lightly salted)--All other popcorn is pretty gross to me especially microwaved uggh--too chemically(transfats, fake butter powder,etc. and salty) Fortunately, I plan on having a moderate amount of popcorn as part of my maintience diet which I hope to be incorporating in a few months!
Closed Thread