Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
okay, something is obviously wrong...got on the scale at 221 today - i know i didn't gain 3 pounds of fat since yesterday, so it's gotta be fluid, right?...but that's not normal either!

i'm not gonna panic, but this is a bit alarming - that's 4 pounds higher than i was 5 days ago...and i've been eating on plan...this is what has derailed me in the past - being good, seeing poor results and giving up...BUT NOT THIS TIME!...

i'm ready to employ just about anything to break this - maybe i should fast, or just eat raw veggies for a couple of days, or ????...

thanks for listening while i try to figure this out...so happy i have you guys to talk to :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
a fat fast might be a better catalyst.

i do not know the specifics, so it is best that u look it up in DANDR. I never recommend a total fast unless it is for a religious occasion,& because frankly, i could not do it myself otherwise. soz
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Man, tony...I don't know what to say. I really thought once you cut out the extra carbs you would start to see movement. I do agree with FF, a fat fast might do it...but I know you don't feel the best when you have too much fat. (or is it just red meat? Maybe I'm getting that mixed up)

FF...A bacon cheeseburger sans bun is one of my favorite meals, too.

llm...my sister used to have problems with candida. She cut out a BUNCH of stuff and felt so much better. There used to be a whole section about it here in the Health section of the boards.

My big sister is coming for a few days to babysit me. I sent her the "Man Down!" signal and she's on her way.

B: left over skirt steak and some veggies
L: egg drop soup
S: ?
D: fish and veggies
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Hey everyone,
I'm hanging in there and the scale did go down a pound so I'm feeling better.

Tony,
I'm sorry you're having such trouble--perhaps you should try eating eggs and unprocessed meat with a little salad or a cup of vegetables for a couple days--basically cut out nuts and dairy. Some people can have trouble losing with those and that menu would definitely get you into ketosis.

I can't believe how stubborn our bodies can be in releasing this weight--goes to show how humans have survived over the millineum through times of starvation...

Just don't give up and remember you are eating a very healthy diet and even if you aren't dropping weight you are healing and repairing your body. And, drink alot of water!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

I meant to say also, I don't think fasting is the best idea for weight loss although I've heard it can be good for healing your body and resting your degistive system.

It can definitely set you up for binging behavior when coming off the fast. The closest thing I've done to true fasting is Intermient Fasting--you go for I think 24 hours without eating, but from like 5 p.m. to the next day at 5.p.m and I also have done the calorie cycling diet up day down day where you eat 500 calories one day and then the next day around 2,000 which keeps your overall calories for the week lower. This works for some people but I had to hard of a time controlling my eating on the UP days....
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

I spelled digestive wrong! but you knew what I meant right?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #217

Tony 8...

I know u have been pretty much the same weight for a long time, a lb up, a lb down. Very aggravating. Perhaps, it is time for a major perestroika. There is a book I mentioned in an earlier blitz, written by a fellow named Johnny Bowden. He critiques over 30 different plans that involve low carb eating in one way or another. I forgot the title (evidence of senility). I will bring it to work tomorrow (if i remember). it is imperative that u choose a plan and follow it BY THE BOOK (like Lt. Saavek). Structure is what is necessary. There is also a great deal of bio-chemistry in it, written in such a way that we can follow. It is also cheap ($14.95)That part i remember!!! FF
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks, ff...i am committed to sticking with this - there is absolutely zero chance i'm ever going backward voluntarily...and i am ready to try anything...i think your advice about getting more education is sound - if you remember to recommend the book, i'll find it and read it...

kbeth, i'm fine with fat and red meat as long as i don't stick primarily with that for more than a couple of months...i think it is the restriction on fruit and veggies that causes me to feel less than great, rather than eating the meat and fat...but at this point, i am considering all options :-)

it's only been ten days since my terrible day, so maybe this is all related to me messing my metabolism up...i don't know...i feel fine - it's just the scale that has me worried...and that IS a worry...

hi jenny, thanks for the advice on the nuts and dairy - i'm gonna cut them out entirely for awhile...i'm eating hardly any dairy - a small slice of cheese here and there, but i'm cutting that out and the nuts i've been having for a snack...i'm willing to do anything...thanks also for the info on your fasting experience...

last week, one of the girls mentioned intermittent fasting, and i had been thinking about trying it anyway...so, i have decided to fast today - i have had nothing but water so far...i think i ate at 9 p.m. last night, so i'm not sure if i will break my fast then, or wait until tomorrow morning to stretch it out to 36 hours...

i do not intend to go any longer than that...and i will definitely try to have a responsibly moderate day of eating after the fast day...i'll keep you posted on how that goes...if nothing else, it will give my diges&i#@ve system a break (how's that for spelling, jenny?)

none of this will kill me and it's kind of an adventure to try different things and see how my body reacts to it...i wish i wasn't motivated to do this by recent scale results, but it is what it is...weird to think that just 5 days ago i was mildly celebrating a 1 lb. loss for the week...what happened! :-)

thanks everyone for your support...it really helps!...

Last edited by tony8; 10-19-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey jenny,
btw, great job on dropping another pound - you are doing great!...i'm really proud of you...

and kbeth, hope your sister doesn't make you go to bed when all the good shows are on ;-)
Old 10-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Kbeth, how cool is it that you sis is rushing in like the cavalry?

Tony, I kinda agree w/FF on the fasting question. I am water-fasting myself today (every Tuesday in Oct.), but I don't think it does anything for weight loss. It might help a little with detachment from food, but it can also slow your metabolism. How's your sodium intake been lately? Usually when I have unexpected water weight, that's my culprit.

I have to confess that I routinely do intermittent-fasting, of the Fast-5 variety. (That is, I eat within a 5-6 hour window each day and don't eat the other 18-19 hours of the day.) The type Jfinchester is describing is JUDD, rather than Fast-5. I've never done it because I have no patience for counting things -- calories, carbs, anything. Spent too many years doing that, thanks. I don't normally do the weekly water fasts I am doing in October, and it's an unrelated thing.

FF, your menus sound great. I have never heard of the Bowden thing. Will be curious as to what you come up with.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 AM   #221

well, Tony8, I did it again.

or rather failed to do it. I forgot to bring the book, and my water bottle. I checked all my posts from Blitz II, and there is no mention of it. I know I referred to it at least 1/2 dozen times in other areas of LCF. but it is probably gone now. It is called LOW CARB something by Johnny Bowden. I will try again tomorrow. btw, the steaks were excellent.I panned sauted (they were too big for the xpress...redi...set..go) them in peanut oil with generous applications of minced garlic and fresh cracked pepper. I added some butter in the last 2 minutes of cooking. The whole affair was less than 15 minutes in the pan. I tried to make it last as long as possible, but I was voracious. My total carbs for yesterday was less than 5 grams net. I find staying so low, helps with satiety. I do not think vlc will increase my rate of weight loss. My body will do what it wants. FF
Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 AM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the fast comes to a fast end

ff, my body is certainly doing what IT wants :-) no problem about the book...i'll try to google it too...

the steak sounds great...did i miss your review of your new ready, set, go toy?...please share...

well, i got home last night and announced i was on a fast and my kids starting giving me so much grief about it and seemed so concerned, i decided to break it after 22 hours...i was feeling okay - had made it through by drinking water when i felt hunger pangs...i do have to say that the salad i had to break it tasted better than any salad in months...

i'm sure the fast didn't help anything, but i NEEDED to feel like i was doing something differently...read a lot about alternate day fasting yesterday and it was pretty positive but i don't think it is something i would do regularly unless i end up stuck at this weight permanently...for those of you who have done it, i'd be interested in hearing how it worked (or didn't) for you...

shadow, so are you taking in zero calories every tuesday in october and having just water?...when does your fast start and end?...i didn't think my sodium intake was up as i've given up most of the salty snacks...i have had some low-sodium jerky and that can be part of it, i guess...but 4 lbs in 5 days just seemed a little excessive...

i'm planning a day of very moderate eating today...did not wake up hungry so that's a good sign!

i'll check back in a bit...

Last edited by tony8; 10-20-2010 at 05:49 AM..
Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #223

The toy is fine. Very happy with it. It was worth the wait.

i will be experimenting with food later on...i.e. using veggies instead of taters for latkes (pancakes); making crabcakes. i also want to do low carb biscotti, and pumpkin pound cake. I also got a recipe from LCF for a sausage based stuffing (outside the turkey). Later on in the season. The biscotti recipe is in DANDR. I will be omitting the sour cream because i prefer them crunchier (to soak up the coffee). FF
Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, you're making me hungry...lol...

well, i'm at 220 this morning - down 1 from yesterday - whoop-dee-doo! :-)

ate a hard-boiled egg for breakfast and packed another for lunch - can hardly wait!...

i'm in a silly mood today - which is true most every day...started a new song yesterday and got a lot of it written today, and that always makes me happy :-) gonna pick up the guitar later and work out the chords - it's got a kinda cool melody and groove - i think...

what's everyone else doing today?...kbeth is your sister baby-ing you?...i hope so...

i wish clanger and adam would poke their heads in and say 'hello' - hope they are okay...
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad the scale went down for you Tony. I wasn't so lucky today. I have hardly been eating very much cuz I'm so determined to lose right now but I wonder if it is really helping. I never really believed the "you have to eat to lose" saying cuz when I eat I usually gain. But when I don't eat it's not like the pounds are dropping off me...
yesterday I had:
4 oz organic/grassfed london broil, 2 slices avacado and a little lettuce with habanero hot sauce
6 oz organic hamburger with some sugarfree ketchup
1 hard boiled egg--cucumbers
1.5 cups almond milk, 1 puffed spelt cake (4 carbs) with almond butter

Not a whole lot of carbs or calories--so much for that experiement...I just need to be patient but I think I am going to eat when I'm hungry cuz going hungry really makes me cranky and IMPATIENT...

I need to focus on the positive which is I've lost 13lbs since Sept. 1st and I'm back to my summer low. I'm at a "setpoint weight" right now and I know from past experience that my body is stubborn about letting go of pounds, but once I get past this point, they will drop off....
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #226

EUREKA, TONY8...I've got it!!!

It is called LIVING LOW CARB, by Johnny Bowden. Most infirmative and well written. FF
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #227

That's INFORMATIVE, not INFIRMATIVE.

Enjoy!!! FF
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
I have started reading the maintainance board. I'm only 2 lbs away from my goal today. Thankyou all for helping me lose my last few lbs.

I'm going to start training my dog. I may take him to an obedience class.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 200's/1st. Goal Wt: 199 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb My Way!
Start Date: Monday! :)
~Happy Thursday~

Just popping in to say hello and say there isn't anything in the weight release department to report on. Struggled some on Monday with my eating plan so the scale is up some but I am determined to keep working at this WOE and not give up. I understand completely the struggles we all have had on this and just want to give a big to everyone and say hang in there, we can do this(speaking to self).

Now go and have a good LC day!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #230

just a little reminder about the extra twist of Blitz III

The Holiday Season seems to begin earlier every year. Halloween candy has stolen entire aisles in the supermarkets since Labor Day Weekend. Of course, the Holidays themselves do not pose a threat to my staying on plan. it is being at relatives' house, when they say "Aw come on, it won't hurt just this once", or "No dieting on TG or Xmas time". Well, i am willing to offend as many people as it takes, if it comes to that. I am not yielding this time around.Let us gird our loins, our stomachs, and our brains to resist. FF
Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks, ff, i'll look for the book!...and agree about the holidays 100%...

jylly, congrats on achieving your goal...we are all very proud of you and hope you'll stick around to teach us about maintenance...we like having you here

hey maggie, great to see ya...i'm with you and sticking to this woe...i'm learning to use the scale for encouragement and motivation, but never to let it get me down...it's a cruel tool at times...

i have to say that i am proud of myself for how i've been handling this recent setback...rather than getting discouraged, i am more determined than ever to be even more disciplined in my woe...believing that if i just don't lose faith, i will make progress...

after my 22-hour fast on tuesday, i had another good day yesterday - had nothing but one hard boiled egg for breakfast and lunch and then some barbecued chicken and ribs with no sauce for dinner...

weigh-in is this morning and i know i will be a few pounds over the 217 last week, but i actually feel thinner and my clothes are looser, so i don't get it...this really is an adventure...

jenny, i definitely agree that you should not go hungry or feel deprived - that will derail you surer than anything...when you're hungry, eat something on plan and healthy and drink water - i learned that from you and i use it...you should be very proud and focused on the 13 pounds you lost over the last several weeks - that is a huge accomplishment...your body can't lose at that rate forever, so don't get discouraged by a stall here and there...you're doing GREAT!

i'll be back in a bit!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #232

The troll is certainly not willing to go hungry under any but

religious circumstances (such as the election of a new Grand Negus). I would rather stay as is, than feel ravenous on a continual basis. Well, today is WW weigh-in at high noon. If i was a gambling man, i would my money on the scale. I never feel thinner on Thursdays. I am counting on the Metabolic Advantage this week more than usual. My hunger has been intense and needed to be placated with lots of saturated fat. Is it the change of weather? And my exercise is not what it was. I need to work on things i can do w/o shoes. Wish me luck!!! FF
Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

good luck, ff!...

just had my weigh-in and thankfully i was back down to 218 - 1 lb. over last week, but 3 pounds lower than i was earlier this week...i am so relieved...just shows how easy it is to get discouraged by temporarily bad results - in the past, without you guys, i would have given up and in 3-4 weeks i would have been back at 125 and headed way back up...

thanks for the support and for helping me keep a positive perspective during this stall...it has made me even more committed to getting to goal!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

My weight is same again and I'll be leaving to visit my parents tonight and then have houseguests this weekend (brother and family) and will be going to an all day pumpkin carving, family renunion party...there will be alot of food, wine and temptations.

But, I'm feeling strong--I hope to make it through without any gain and then I can focus on getting another pound off next week. I am so through with losing the same pounds over and over again (gaining and losing) I'm on the downward trend!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #235

metabolic advantage 1...scale 0

it was a modest loss-0.6 lbs. But, it would have been a gain with the same number of calories, but many more of them being carbs. so, grand total to date is 59.6 lbs. 372.8/313.8/1?? AND, I enjoyed every mouthful. FF
Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #236

fyi

taking a long weekend. barring the unforeseen, (or the foreseen)I will be back on Tuesday. Happy Blitz Days 21-25. FF
Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

we'll miss ya, ff, but have fun!

ff, congrats on another losing week - you are amazing, bro!

hey jenny, this is a battle, isn't it?...we've shared some similar struggles but we're way better off than we were in april, so let's focus on that...

i was pretty hungry tonight and there were some things in the house that were tempting me, but i thought of how hard it has been gaining and losing the same pounds and resisted...for me, sometimes it's easiest to get my mind off the long term goal and to focus just on having one good day at a time...

the other thing i've been doing is demonizing the food i shouldn't eat...i look at them as my enemy right now, and that makes it a bit easier not to eat them...hopefully someday i can add some of these things back to my diet in moderation, but i haven't earned that yet...

hope everyone had a great thursday...see y'all later on...

Last edited by tony8; 10-21-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Saying hello...and sending thoughts and prayers to FF. I'm glad you are able to take a long weekend to be with your family. We'll be here when you get back!

No loss to report...just eating well and taking care. Have a great weekend y'all!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great to see ya, kbeth...being healthier is the ultimate goal, so thanks for the reminder :-)

i was down to 216 on the scale today...didn't believe it - climbed off and on ten times and then got another scale to confirm...i do not understand this...can't see how weight can fluctuate up and down 5 lbs over a few days...i'm not gonna worry about it - i'm just gonna stay on plan and see where that takes me...

but i am so much happier to see 216 rather than 221...lol...
Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Good for you Tony--the scale can be maddening sometimes!
Closed Thread