Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
<burp>

Last edited by tony8; 10-15-2010 at 10:53 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Minor slippage. I feel like I've been building up to that for the last week or so. I'm still not sure how to avoid the stress relief=food thing. I am much better than I used to be, but still...totally thought I was stronger than that, tho.
Progress, not perfection.
Grilling a LARGE amount of Korean skirt steak (Atkins recipe that I LOVE. Found skirt steak in bulk for 2.99/lb. Fantastic deal!!)
Also going to cook up a bunch of chicken breast chunks on coconut oil. I need to have pre-cooked foods on hand. Too stressed/tired to cook? Fine. It's already in the fridge waiting for me.

tony...ha!
frankenfoods...highly processed stuff with all kinds of creepy ingredients i.e. LC bars and shakes. Plus "frankenfoods" is just fun to say!
edited to add: For some, LC treats are a good way to stay on plan. For others (me) they lead to pig outs. Plus, part of this journey, for me, is to eat healty, whole foods.

B: greek yogurt with berries and nuts and flax
S: chicken brst
L: chicken brst and salad
D: skirt steak. oven roasted green and wax beans

Exercise: long walk on a beautiful day.
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!

Last edited by kbeth; 10-16-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Saturday morning weigh in with WW. Officially down-2.8 lbs for the week. Now only if I can be good the rest of the week? I will have to keep on working it, if that will happen.

Have a good LC weekend everyone!

Last edited by MagieDen; 10-16-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey maggie - great job, girl!...that's a big loss!...now behave!...

kbeth, thanks for the frankenfood definition...i was feeling so out of the loop!

i know what you mean about thinking you left certain food behavior behind you...it is a bit shocking when you've been so good, to realize you are still capable of being so bad

nice job not letting minor slippage become major slippage...that in itself is a huge step forward...

btw, i agree with you 100% about this being about eating healthier as well as losing weight...funny how the healthier food just makes you feel better, isn't it?

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 10-16-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

b: three leftover chicken wings
s: 5 almonds
l: green banana and 6 walnuts
d: ?
all of it with lots of water!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

one more thing: i am learning that one of the keys for me is to keep the bad stuff OUT OF THE HOUSE...and like kbeth, keep some precooked good stuff on hand at all times...why is the bad stuff always ready to go and the good stuff is never ready???
Old 10-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
one more thing: i am learning that one of the keys for me is to keep the bad stuff OUT OF THE HOUSE...and like kbeth, keep some precooked good stuff on hand at all times...why is the bad stuff always ready to go and the good stuff is never ready???
I like this! Hubby took the bread, cereal to work. He took most of the things he likes to work where there is a fridge where he can store it all. I like the idea of making sure there is always the food we should have on plan ready at all times. I am working on this myself. Good job!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
i caught jylly's cyberbug!

yuck. here on a beautiful fall weekend with chills and congestion and headaches. the worst part is the only thing i want to do when i feel disgusting is...your guessed it - eat! (only time i ever didn't want to eat was during first few months of pregnancy and one or two bad stomach viruses. other than that...)

the comfort food is usually something in the bread family. but not today! i got rot. chicken for dinner, some LC broth (don't feel like cooking), did a green drink this morning, and yes, i confess afew slices pepperoni, whichi know won't aid the body's abiliy to heal, but it was the safest comfort food for me. all in all handling this better than sicknesses in the past. i'm realizng i've been sick quite a bit this past year and it's motivating me to stick with the WOE and really truly get healthy, put the best foods ever in my body. like pepperoni. ha! i swear when i feel better i'm stocking my fridge with homemade whole foods ready to gO like you guys were talking about. and i'm with you with not having it in the house. i was getting my husband turkey for sandwiches today and i opted not to get the accompanying cheese. he won't miss it but i'll know exactly which drawer it's in until it's gone! it's actually easier having bread than cheese in the house. bread i not an option in my head, but cheese...well that's one of those iffy foods that i always think i can handle. definitely getting to bed early tonight. hoping i can get some sleep and that these chills subside. read some people get "induction flu". do you think that's it? just off sugar a week and a couple days.

have a good weekend everyone.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i'm surrounded!

hey mama, sorry you're not feeling well...i almost never get sick, but when i start to feel something coming on, i try to drink as much water as possible and take 1000 mg of vitamin c for a few days and the virus (or whatever) never seems to take hold - might be the placebo effect...sounds like you're on top of this whole woe thing...

maggie, i like to think i have will power, but i seem to have so much more when i have no bad options close at hand

reading everyone's posts, i can't help but think how lucky i am to be surrounded by such nice and really intelligent people...you guys are great!

Last edited by tony8; 10-16-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelifemama View Post
yuck. here on a beautiful fall weekend with chills and congestion and headaches. the worst part is the only thing i want to do when i feel disgusting is...your guessed it - eat! (only time i ever didn't want to eat was during first few months of pregnancy and one or two bad stomach viruses. other than that...)

the comfort food is usually something in the bread family. but not today! i got rot. chicken for dinner, some LC broth (don't feel like cooking), did a green drink this morning, and yes, i confess afew slices pepperoni, whichi know won't aid the body's abiliy to heal, but it was the safest comfort food for me. all in all handling this better than sicknesses in the past. i'm realizng i've been sick quite a bit this past year and it's motivating me to stick with the WOE and really truly get healthy, put the best foods ever in my body. like pepperoni. ha! i swear when i feel better i'm stocking my fridge with homemade whole foods ready to gO like you guys were talking about. and i'm with you with not having it in the house. i was getting my husband turkey for sandwiches today and i opted not to get the accompanying cheese. he won't miss it but i'll know exactly which drawer it's in until it's gone! it's actually easier having bread than cheese in the house. bread i not an option in my head, but cheese...well that's one of those iffy foods that i always think i can handle. definitely getting to bed early tonight. hoping i can get some sleep and that these chills subside. read some people get "induction flu". do you think that's it? just off sugar a week and a couple days.

have a good weekend everyone.
Hope you start to feeling better
Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
I really need to get some groceries today. I'm really hungry and all I have left in the house is junk food. Even if I only get enough for today.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

thanks so much, tony and magie.

jylly, just run out and get enough for today and tomorrow maybe,simple, easy stuff. that's what i did last night. felt terrible coming home but th rotiss. chicken i got will last me a few days. it's dangerous when only junk is left in the houe, i know!

terrible night's seep last nght, but feeling better now. why are colds always so much worse at night? tony, i am pumping myself with water and C! i also do tiny slivers of garlic on the back of tongue wit a little water in the middle of my meals. i too think i'm able to kick these bugs pretty quickly with this formula! we'll see. luckily, y husband took my daughter to the farm for the morning, so i won;t have to worryabout breathing all over her. so far, she hasn't caught anything...fingers crossed it stays that way.

i've got a weid rash/hives thing that i alwyas get after 5-7 days of atkins-style, inducion, sugar/starch- free eating. did anyone else ever get that?

going to finally sort through the hand-me-down fall/winter clothes for my little one, so i can stop squeezing her into a too-tight summer outfit everyday when the weather's really too cold for it anyway.

enjoy your sunday all!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi jylly, i am so excited that you are so close to goal...i bet you'll be there by the holidays...go out and buy some good stuff today!...

mama, i use a lot of garlic in my cooking - never tried it on the back of my tongue - do you swallow the raw garlic slices like a pill?...hmmm, gonna have to try that...

i never related a rash to low carb eating, but my belly has been a little itchy this week - thought it was just wintery dry weather - maybe not...i'd be interested to hear what others have experienced...

hope everyone has a great sunday - i'll check in a little later...
Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
Never heard of anyone with a rash while low carbing. My skin gets nicer, smooth and not so dry. I always liked what low carb did for the skin. On other diets your skin gets all dry looking.

I do get a sugar and caffiene headaches when starting low carb. And sometimes I feel ick from low potassium, so I eat some salts and up my water.

I used low carb to maintain my weight most of my life. Not always on a diet just weighting self once a week.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

smooth as a baby's...

hey smoothy, whatcha pick up at the market?...

had a good day:
b: leftover rotisserie chicken
l: salad
s: beef jerky
d: 4 oz. steak

scale has been at 218 every day since the 217 on weigh-in day (thurs)...i've been so "on plan" so i'm not gonna worry about it...

hope y'all are having a great weekend
Old 10-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
hi jylly, i am so excited that you are so close to goal...i bet you'll be there by the holidays...go out and buy some good stuff today!...

mama, i use a lot of garlic in my cooking - never tried it on the back of my tongue - do you swallow the raw garlic slices like a pill?...hmmm, gonna have to try that...

i never related a rash to low carb eating, but my belly has been a little itchy this week - thought it was just wintery dry weather - maybe not...i'd be interested to hear what others have experienced...

hope everyone has a great sunday - i'll check in a little later...
yes, i swallow the raw slices like a pill. supposedly it's really potent (for the body!) this way. garlic is amazing. anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-microbial.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

speaking of anti-fungal...

i posted on the main lobby about the hives and found several others who have had it and confirmed what i suspected. detox symtoms due to...yuck!...candida (yeast) die-off. i'm glad you guys haven't had it - guess your bodies ae more balanced than mine. i'm not surpried with the amount of sugar i've consumed. and as gross as the rash is, it's motivating me to stick wth this WOE. if this is those little suckers dying off, bring it on! candida caused all sorts of things that ihave, allergies, yeast, extreme sensitivy to thins like perfumes, chemicals, smoke.

i've read about it before but have never treated it. well, not for moretan a few days before giving in to the indcredible sugar cravings. the yeast feed on sugar, so when i stop eating it they die. simple and hard as that.

reall hoping this time i see it through. i know i will feel so much better if i can get to the bottom of this. thanks for the support i know i'll get here in continuing!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Well,
I've been hanging in there no cheats at all and not eating a lot--have lost about almost a pound this week so far (my scale is digital)--it seems like I'm creeping down at a snails pace but at least I'm going down I guess. Also not drinking alchohol at all and drinking lots of water...

Sample menu yesterday
B- 1 scrambled egg, coconut oil with coffee
L-celery and wild salmon mixed with a little mayo
D-4 oz hamburger and sauteed spinach
S-1/2 cup cottage cheese about 4 strawberries

Today
B- 1 egg, coconut oil in coffee
L- tofu with brocolli, cauliflower spinach made into creamed soup (small bowl)
D- 4 oz london broil and steamed beet greens
Snack--2 slices avacodo

I'm definitely ready for a whoosh down soon cuz I've been eating really, really well and exercising (swimming and walking)
Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, jenny!...i'm so proud of you...awesome job!...menu looks super...great to see ya too

mama, thanks for the info on the yeast...that is very interesting...i gotta read up on that...it's amazing how little we know about our own bodies, isn't it?

and thanks for the garlic tip!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

can't help worrying a bit about ff and his mom...
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #201
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
sometimes, u have to eat more & not less.

what is great, is that the METABOLIC ADVANTAGE will guarantee me either a weight loss or an inches loss. I had a few BK coupons due to expire on 10/21/10. I gave most of them to a friend. i was interested in only 2 of them. I got the bacon thingy w/o the bun& ketchup put on by them. i had them both at the restaurant. The double whopper w/o bun and ketchup and mayo, i took home intending to use my low carb bread with them at work. No such luck. I ate both of them (the 2nd one cold) I was really hungry. I had enough optional points to cover it. Yesterday I went to this salad bar place in Manhattan. They had some really nice looking tuna salad. I just needed something to tide me over. BUT... 1st I had to ask THE QUESTIONS: Is there any sugar in it? Are there any bread crumbs in there? ( Remember, i have lawyers on retainer)He assured me, it was free of both. I had a nice big scoop of tuna salad with little bits of celery and less of onion(exactly as I would have done it myself.)with just enough mayo to get it to stick together. I think there was also a little vinegar in there, to give it a certain freshness. Altogether I was quite refreshed and satisfied. and washed it down with a 12 oz can of diet ginger ale.(The place is located on w. 18th St between 5th and 6th Ave (on the S. side of the street)Later in the day when I got home, I ordered my usual chinese repertoire, 1/2 of which I still have in the fridge. I am glad to be back at work for the structure. As regards stress related eating...some people react by eating less, some by eating more. Some people according to what the circumstances are that cause stress. The important thing is to eat CLEAN and as low carb as possible. FF
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #202

u know what else feeds on sugar?

cancer cells. Eliminating sugar will severely cut down on cancer's ability to grow, if u already have it (may the Gods forbid), or getting it, if u don't. Sugar, nicotine, narcotics, (& caffeine too), are all negative "nutrients" that suck our body's immune system. I do have my coffee once a day. That is all. FF
Old 10-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, that all makes sense...sounds like you are eating very very well...how's your mom?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
FF, you're an inspiration. You're sticking so well to your plan, despite the travels and travails in your life right now.

Maggie, congrats on the loss!

I join those of you who strayed into gobble territory over the weekend. I had an indiscreet affair with a bag of almonds in my cupboard. :blush: My scale has not yet rebuked me for it. Maybe I need to join the keep-it-outa-the-house club -- and I should have boiled or deviled eggs, burgers, etc. ready to go. It would be such a better idea.

Mama, do you have Atkins' plan in his book to get rid of Candida? If you don't have his book, let me know and I'll type out his recommendations.

to all the Blitzers!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #205

mom is as expected. hopefully, she is in no pain.

she is aware of her environment, but unable to participate in it. There is really nothing more that the Drs can do. if she makes it through the next week or so at the NH, she will be transferred home for palliative care. Thanks, all, for your concerns. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
FF...Hugs and love to you.

Sickies here, too. DS had a temp of 103 last night. Both feeling crummy today.
Keep up the good work, y'all!!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #207

it might be the change of weather that is causing these colds and temp.

of course i am so enjoying these temps that are below 70F. The best is yet to come. Tonight, I am making 2 small steaks totalling 1.58 lbs before cooking. They are boneless, with nice marbling, and free range. It was $7.70 at Shoprite. In a restaurant, I am sure it would be no less than $30.00 if u factor in tax and tip. I had a Swiss Miss diet HC with Whip Cream for lunch, my total food so far. I was not hungry, and I am putting my food WHEN it will do the most good. My friend also brought me my Ronco knife set. My end comes to $43.00 and change which includes S & H. i am really excited about this. FF
Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, thanks for the update on your mom - i've been thinking about both of you all weekend...i'll keep positive thoughts coming your way :-)

btw, that steak sounds yummy!

kbeth sorry to hear your family is feeling under the weather...hope everyone feels better soon!

shadow, i think the scale is punishing me a week after my transgression...weird how that works...i'm learning the delay in consequences can be really misleading...
Old 10-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #209

got home late.

steaks still semi frozen. after consuming the equivalent of 1 WW point all day(not difficult on a work day, USUALLY), i polished off 3 thin slices of mozzarrella cheese, 5 ribs from Sunday's order. Later i ordered two bacon cheeseburgers, with 1 slice tomato and the outer ring of a slice of onion for each, Plus 1 half sour pickle, and low carb ketchup, and 1 pint container of chicken broth. That was throughout the evening, not all at once, to be sure. I think the bacon cheeseburger takes a very close second to steak in my food pantheon. I most certainly am a carnivore. FF
Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thinking about fasting...

i love bacon cheeseburgers!

i made steak sandwiches for the kids sunday night - mushrooms, onions, peppers, melted cheese on toasted, buttered ciabatta rolls - and only ate a few pieces of the steak myself...but the sandwiches sure looked good!...

i am in the most stubborn stall ever - even though i've been back to plan for the last 10 days after my meltdown day, i am staying between 217 and 218, with a 219 flashing in once...don't know what else to do except be patient...i cut out the cereal and the chips completely...maybe the salt in the jerky snacks is leading to water retention but i only ate a little of that...

i guess it could all change in a few days...i'm considering a day-long fast to see if that could jumpstart something, although i'm afraid that could mess with my blood sugar...if anyone who has any experience with fasting could share it, i'd appreciate it...

maybe i'll try it today...no food, just water...hmmm, wonder if this is a good idea???
Closed Thread