Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
I eat more eggs than meat. I have never liked meat very much I eat meat because I was taught it was good for you. I love bacon, crispy. I love butter and cheese.

FF-I am so sorry about your DM.

I have been fighting off a cold or something. Have been taking a lot of vit. C and sleeping a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey jylly,
i love bacon too!...

drink as much water as you can with the vitamin c and flush that cold right outta your system :-)
tony
Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #153
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
hoisted by my own petard!!!

i have been "preaching" about staying on plan regardless of whatever situation or stress we find ourselves in. I have not deviated one jot or tittle from that resolve. BUT...a buddy of mine and I have a tradition going back many years that on his birthday, i take him to lunch, and vice versa. Well, in Feb 2011, i will (if I make to that date)have attained the big 60. One place I always wanted to go was KATZ'S DELI in NYC, if I feel I have developed enough control to have a great NON-PLAN meal, and get right back on the horse and stay on the saddle for good. I sort of feel like a hypocrite, if i allowed myself that endulgence. I have several months to make that decision. No point in going there merely to eat a plate of pastrami washed down by a can or two of diet Dr. Browns. I pretty much know what i would have IF I allowed myself: mushroom barley soup (my fave), pastrami on rye with mustard and slaw, 1 kasha knish, and the obbligatory diet Dr. Browns cherry and cream. Well, we shall see. But during BLITZ III, there will be no recidivism, to be sure. FF
Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

if i get a vote, i say "go for it"!!!...you only live once, and i too believe you are strong enough to get back on plan after your birthday...as well as not deviating from plan, you preach happiness and lack of deprivation and i think both things would be supported by the decision to reward yourself for 10 months (at that time) of hard work with a favorite meal...nothing hypocritical about it, bro...

i have generally taken a more twisted road to my goals - must just be my personality...i think it's more interesting to me to create challenges along the way and keep it a bit unconventional...but i've yet to make up my mind to do anything and fail at it...and this will be no exception!...

weighed in this morning and was amazed that i survived my disaster saturday, recovered nicely and lost a pound...you guys can start the parade any time now :-)

see ya in a bit!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Too much good stuff that I want to respond to...

so I am giving myself 15 minutes and typing like a maniac on this busy Thursday. There WILL be typos.

FF...to me, your 60th wouldn't be cheating...it would be celebrating! I think part of this life's plan is to eventually be able to enjoy the occasional non-LC meal. But sensibly, like you said, and getting right back with it!

tony...wee-hoo on the lb. Our bodies are sneaky little boogers, aren't they?

laceymichelle...20-plus years ago when I was 19-20 I had a period of bulimia. It just finally occured to me how awful this was for my body and how sick it was making me (not to mention the fact that it did NOT cause weight loss for me, which still seems odd) and I just STOPPED. I still have issues with binging when I'm stressed, but I no longer purge. I wish I had better advice.
I have also read about several people on VLC overcoming their eating disorders. But I would think just eating super-healthy would just be part loving yourself, and taking care of your wonderful, beautiful self. I can also understand how eating a tub of mayo would just feel like one more destructive act. Your new plan sounds healthful and healing.
~hugs!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey, someone taught me a trick about fruit i thought i'd share...

when you desire something like an apple or a pear or peach, etc., rather than just eating the whole thing, you can cut slices of skin leaving some flesh behind it and eat those...you get most of the vitamins and fiber in the skin with some of the taste in the flesh but not all the carbs of all the flesh...

and the skin slices are great for dipping in peanut butter or hummus, etc...

Last edited by tony8; 10-14-2010 at 08:22 AM..
Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #157

thanks guys.

i do not have to make that decision yet. But as of now, i am leaning in favor of the bash. Congrats, Tony. sometimes we have to fight for every little calorie. You slayed 3,500 of them. Today at high noon is weigh-in for me. I was as textbook case as was possible. But, knowing what a Leviathan the scale is...NO EXPECTATIONS (but a loss would be nice)FF
Old 10-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great post, kbeth...

i don't know much about eating disorders, and as a man, i don't know much about women either :-) but i do know that all of you women, along with children, are the best things in this world and if you could see yourselves the way men like me see you, you would know that you are BEAUTIFUL just the way you are...

eat well to be healthy and happy, and please don't believe that the rest of us want you to be any other way...real men prefer real women who do not look like some "ideal" image which really isn't ideal...

that's my two-cents worth on that subject... :-)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Jylly...feel better, gfriend!

jenny...wow, you are cooking right along. That is awesome!

llm...I have been wanting to respond to your post from last Thursday. Your 'getting through the stressful time just to binge when it's all over' is painfully familiar. And yes, for me, it is exhaustion related. (and in "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross, she discusses how our bodies crave seratonin boosting foods after the sun goes down, and the quickest way is junk carbs. Very interesting read) When you have a little one, the only "me" time is after they are asleep...and I depend on those moments to regroup and relax. I have finally started splitting the nights. Several night a week I stay up and play, but then the other nights I'll be in bed by 8:30...as soon as I get him down! lol. It actually helps me!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, good luck on the scale...we've been doing this together long enough to know that sometimes the scale doesn't reflect the work - at least not every week...

as for slaying the 3500 calories, i don't want to conjecture how many i inhaled on saturday, but it was a LOT...and i have had one mediocre and two consecutive great days since - just shows how you can recover if you don't stray too far...

today will be the third hardcore low carb/low cal day in a row and i can feel myself getting thinner by the minute! :-)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

shadows...yeah, I am back to taking my coffee black. I was getting in the dangerous zone of "treating myself." I know better than to rely on food for rewards.

teresa...I hear you on the 'wobbly' on sugar bit. lol.. this last week has been wobbly for me as well, and darn it, the scale shows it, too.

maggie...howdy!!!

B: can of tuna, veggies
S: chicken
L: salad and chicken
S:?
D: tofu and veggies that I didn't get to last night.
Going back to eating smaller portions more often.
Exercise: cleaning.
Have a great one!!!

Darn, that was waaaay more than 15 minutes.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

133.8 Only a .6 loss but I'll take it.

Still feel icky. Getting a lot of headaches too.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #163

good weigh-in today.

I dropped another 2.4 lbs. that brings the total to 59.0 since April 1. If i don't break 60 next week, I am going ballistic. Look for my name in the police blotter of nyc newspapers. 372.8/313.8/??? FF
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yea, ff!...you're less than 14 lbs. from 2derland!...great job this week!

jylly, that's an impressive loss so close to goal...good for you!...there are viruses going around...just keep drinking...

kbeth, great menu, kid...

mine is:
b: left-over chicken/veggie stir-fry
l: sliced turkey breast
s: pistachios
d: buffalo wings

we're on a roll!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey, this page has been the jylly, kbeth, ff, tony show...lol...where are all the other kids?...
Old 10-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

FF!!! Awesome!!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
Jylly...feel better, gfriend!

jenny...wow, you are cooking right along. That is awesome!

llm...I have been wanting to respond to your post from last Thursday. Your 'getting through the stressful time just to binge when it's all over' is painfully familiar. And yes, for me, it is exhaustion related. (and in "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross, she discusses how our bodies crave seratonin boosting foods after the sun goes down, and the quickest way is junk carbs. Very interesting read) When you have a little one, the only "me" time is after they are asleep...and I depend on those moments to regroup and relax. I have finally started splitting the nights. Several night a week I stay up and play, but then the other nights I'll be in bed by 8:30...as soon as I get him down! lol. It actually helps me!
spiltting nights is a great idea. i know i ould fall asleep by 8 (when i get her down!), but i do appreciate that playtime. last night, i compromised a bit. i got completely ready for bed, looked through catalogues (i find this soothing for some reason) and read a bit of my book in bed, so when my eyes could just no longer stay open, there i was. tonigh i have a zumba class (first one - wish me luck). but friday douns like a good early night for me and saturday a good "late" one. thanks for the tip, kbeth! ironically the bunny's napping right now and i could use a power nap,but instead i'm enjoying reading trough the posts! oh well.

feel better, jylly.

ff,when's your birthday? i'm a february baby too. if i can make it on plan until then, i will definitely be "indulging" in some way, hoing it won't be sugar-realted, but something special and celebratory that idon;t usually have. if it's a planned excursion, i don't see it as a cheat at all. btw, my husband's family has a pilgrimage to katz's every few years.

re. bulimia, i could never bring myself to do it, but always wanted to...fully aware of how crazy that sounds,but that's how deep-seated my (and many women's in this country at least) relationship with food and weight and body is. i also considered myself a failed anorexic. nowadays, it is more about feeling healthy than having "the perfect body". i want to live a happy, energized life (when ieat sugar i'm miserable and i feel sluggish, sneezy, etc.) and have a healthy second pregnancy someday. i'm so thankful i'm no lognger the body-obsessed girl i was in highschool and college...though, same as kbeth, and as you all saw last week, i still have my struggle with binges and the occasional desire to "check out" with food.

have a great rest of the day everyone!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Sorry I was MIA. Had Tues. off work and spent Wed/Thurs paying for it.

Jylly, hope you're feeling better. I know what you mean about the meat. I hadn't eaten it in 30 years -- mostly because I didn't like it. But, since going LC, I have found I like chuck roast and filet mignon and turkey (the real thing, not weird deli stuff) and goose paté, and I'm starting to develop a taste for homemade hamburgers. (I lace them liberally with spicy paprika and garlic powder.) So maybe it is something that grows on you. I eat eggs 1-2 meals a day usually, and meat or fish or nuts as the protein source for the other.

Kbeth, as soon as I get money together, I am buying ev coconut oil. I am thinking of trying it in my coffee on Thanksgiving morning, because that is the one weekend a year I used to put hwc and cinammon in my coffee. Obviously not an option now. I can't imagine what coffee would taste like w/CO, but maybe I'll like it as a special treat. Until then, my java remains dark and lovely as God made her.

FF, the deli sounds fabulous (pastrami -- I forgot about real NY pastrami, another one of those rare meats I like). If you can go off plan for a celebratory dinner and back on, I'd say why not? How often do you plan to turn 60?

Congrats on the losses, FF, Tony and Jylly. And great fruit tip, Tony.

Mama, I hear you on having disordered thinking around food and body image. I've come to think that diet-addiction may be one of the most destructive forms of deranged behavior around food. Yet we're actually taught it as a societal norml. Even our docs pitch it. It is not surprising that eating disorders that make us thinner actually start sounding attractive to us. You are doing so much good for yourself and your baby by embracing your own body and a healthy relationship with it. I take my hat off to you.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi guys,
well, today made three consecutive good days after my day (and 1/2) of destruction...feeling strong and in control...for my deranged mind, i'm wondering if i occasionally need to fall off the horse just to remind myself why this is all worth it...it is sooooooo obvious right now...

hi shadow...hmmmmmm - "Wed/Thurs paying for it"?...i want details on what happened tuesday ;-)

hi mama - good to see ya!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #170

yes, i think it is almost a done deal.

i do get to be 60 once. However, my brain is 120 yrs old. I cooked a beautiful salmon filet (i was even singing the song-"gimme that filet o' fish" So, I left it at home along with my water bottle. Well, I shall have it for supper. Back to New Jersey tomorrow. My mom, so my brother says, may not last the weekend. I do not know if I shall be at work on Monday. Uncertainty always makes me queasy. I am a very structured troll. I need to know what i will be doing at least several days in advance. FF
Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
FF, i hear on needing to plan; so inspired by your successful coping with the uncertainty.

Shadows, thank you so much. i am going to be joining you and kbeth on the black coffee. i don't rally even want to be drinking coffee, but when i put cream in it that's all i want to do! if i go black, i know it will naturally decrease. it's only decaf, but i still get a little jittery from it - weird, huh?

i am also rethinking my stevia abstinence. i've been thinking about kbeth's yogurt v. starbuck's treats and i feel similar with stevia. i used to have a little organic EV coconut oil, stevia, and raw organic cacao each day, very LC (1-2 carbs) and i truly believe healthy. in some sort of effort to be totally "true" to atkins induction or maybe to be "hardcore and sacrificing" (something that was valued beyond all else in my upbringing) i convinced myself i should cut out this healthy pleasure. i've been fantasizing about gross atkins choc bars all week. haven't had, but why not just give myself the pleasure of homemade raw chocolate made with love?

that's where i'm at right now. baby awaking...yay! not a sarcastic yay. i miss her overnight.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #172

i drink my coffee black at work M-F.

only because, the cream spoils before i am finished with the container. i invited all my colleagues to use it. But they are all afraid of the high fat content (big deal-1 T of cream). So, i have it with cream on weekends, almost always only 1 a day. FF
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i hope your brother is wrong, but i am so, so sorry that you are going through this...it is one of the hardest things to endure...i don't know your mom, but i do know she raised a good son and i'm sure that has given her a great deal of happiness and comfort in her life...

just remember we are here, bro...
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you guys are in trouble now!

aha!...after 6 months, i finally figured out how you guys do all the fancy posting tricks!

why did it take me so long, you ask?
duh... :blush:

i love this!

Last edited by tony8; 10-15-2010 at 06:57 AM..
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
~Still Here~

Hey everyone, I am still here, just trying to get through all the posts. Congratulations to those that had scale victories this week and to those with non-scale victories. Learning alot about myself and what I am capable of doing on this WOE and learning alot about you in your posts. I belong to some other challenge boards and it can get hard just keeping up with responses. If I don't post just know that I am reading them.

Doing ok with my LC plan and weigh in tomorrow with WW so we will see how good of staying on plan I did.

Have a good LC day everyone!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Tony

My eyes water and have a stuffy nose, but feeling a little better this morning. Oh dear, I feel hungry. Sorry, I've got to find something to eat.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
hi shadow...hmmmmmm - "Wed/Thurs paying for it"?...i want details on what happened tuesday ;-)
I wish it were a good or even entertaining story -- but, long and short, while I was out on Tuesday, someone overwrote what I spent days doing on the server. She just wasn't paying attention. Fortunately, I had my notes from the project and could reconstruct it quickly. Otherwise, I might have a dead co-worker. And, you know what they say, you kill it, you eat it. Do you think all those cosmetics could really be low-carb?

Tony, you are too adorable with all the smilies. The one it took me forever to figure out were the avatars.

Mama, that sounds like a great snack to me. I've struggled with that same austerity programming. When I first went LC, I would swing wildly between eating everything low-carb in sight and being almost nun-like in my menus. Trying to find the middle way has been a constant struggle. I've made my peace with chocolate, though. I make chocolate flax muffins (flour-free, of course), chocolate eggs, chocolate "cake," mocha coffee from time to time -- and am looking forward to trying coconut bark this holiday season. What's life without chocolate?

FF, I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well. You are doing so well with managing the stress and the disruption in your routine. Sending you positive energy to sustain you.

Jylly, hope your cold improves. Maybe you can whoop its butt with some chicken soup. Colds are a great excuse for garlic.

Maggie, you sound like you are doing a great job with staying the course. Even our Tuesday fasting experiment didn't pull you off kilter. My own scale has remained glued in place since Monday. I am looking at my thigh fat and telling it, "Onederland, Onederland, Onederland! You could be a major contributor, if you really wanted to." I hope they listen.

Last edited by LCShadows; 10-15-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
ff, i hope your brother is wrong, but i am so, so sorry that you are going through this...it is one of the hardest things to endure...i don't know your mom, but i do know she raised a good son and i'm sure that has given her a great deal of happiness and comfort in her life...

just remember we are here, bro...
Thanks, Tony. I couldn't have said it any better.
Aaand, you made me laugh our loud with all of the emoticons! You are hysterical to me.

Jylly...feel better!!

Mama...what you said made perfect sense to me. This can't be all misery or we will start gorging on frankenfoods, etc.

Maggie...Good luck at WW weigh-in!

LC...I would think consuming cosmetics might cause gastrointestinal distress. I would steer clear, if I were you.

B: bacon, tomatoes and mayo
L: chicken and romaine
S: chicken
D:?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ha ha...welcome to the NEW me~

well, now that i am fully armed and loaded with emoticons, my posts will become even more entertaining than usual i know it will be hard for some of you to believe that my posts could become more entertaining...

kbeth, i know you won't judge me too harshly, so i'm gonna ask you in private: what the heck is a frankenfood?...don't tell the others i asked such a stupid question, okay?...i'm so happy i learned how to send you a private message

shadow, thanks for noticing - i am kinda adorable...

hi maggie, good to see ya, kid...

jylly, if you're hungry, you're probably getting better...hope you ate a LC cow...oops, i meant in broth...

Last edited by tony8; 10-15-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

tony is drunk with power.
Closed Thread