Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
hi everyone,
i'm back from an itchy weekend upstate. literally and figuratively. i literally get really bad allergies up there, but i was also itching for sugar! as you all know, i went back to binge mode and took back sugar and flour and all theother foods that have gicen me momentary pleasure and long-term misery over the years. this weekendi was totally clean, but boy is it hard for me to get back on track once that stuff is back in my system. i guess my body starts the detox process all over agin,which is not pleasant.

i just read through all of your posts, hbut can not remember much other than starbucks coffee with lots of dairy and sugar-free syru p - i want one right now, kbeth! ha! i agree about adding dairy back in. if it's an alternative that you feel in control of and "treated" by, that probably make sense.

i cannot believe how tired i am right now. i stayed away from my stevia sweetened drinks and homemade chocolates this weekend and stayed on plan. i did, however, have one xylitol sweetened piece of gum after lunch in the car, with several more hours to go before a toothbrush. i also just had my calcium magnesium powder and hot water. it's sweetned with stevia, bt i haven't gone to the bathroom in three days and really would like to! had that with freshly ground flax seed and cinnamon.

lacey, i love your first goal. i would liketo start with a similar, but much smaller goal, thatseems impossible right now. sad but true. my goal is to stay on induction - cheat-free, 100%, no homemade chocolate, for 14 days...lord, help me!

hope everything went well in jersey, ff.

love to y'all,
mama

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

food

i forgot that i am posting my food. this was a huge help in staying accountable this weekend. when i was so tempted to eat in between meals and when my mother's apple and peanut butter looked like the thing i wanted to die eating, i thought, "i'm going to have to post that i ate that." just pride, i know, but it worked this weekend.

here goes: saturday (first day clean):
- water, tea, 2 eggs (burned the bacon i was looking forward to beyond eating)
- water, very sniffly, sneezy, and generally uncomfomfortable
- decaf wih cream, chicken, salad with ranch, cup broccoli with little butter
- water, nap, lots more water
- 2 hamburgers and hot dog (vry hungry) salad with ranch, cup broccoli, tea and cream
- poor, sneezy night's sleep

sunday (second day clean):
- water, 3 eggs, decaf with cream
- headache, water, CRAVING SUGAR!
- chicken and salad wih ranch, broccoli with butter and cinnamon, headache, runny nose
- nap, water, CRAVING!! more water, craving fake sugar too, i.e. atkins bars
lots of beef with a little crushed tomatoes, salad with creamy caesear, green beans with butter, tea with cream
- little less sneezy this night, awake a lot at night though, felt hungry but didn't want to start night eating

monday (third day clen)
sneezy, tired, but so happy i've had to clean days with 3 meals and nothing in between but water, tea, or decaf coffee
- water, tea, 2 eggs, decaf coffee with cream
- not much water (on the road and didn't want to stop too much)
- beef with veggie stir-fry packed in my thermos, 1 piece xylitol gum
- water, craving chocolate and atkins bars, more water
- chicken, bacon (ahh...), salad with blue cheese dressing, T freshly ground flax seed wit cinnamon and calcium magnesium mineral powder in hot water

tonight: TIRED, still sniffly, itchy, does anyone else get hives when stopping sugar? happy i've made it through three days though - thanks for listening!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
wow, i love this place - so full of awesome people...ff will be elated in the morning when he sees how much we've grown!...

welcome, lacey!...it's great to have you here...

kbeth, i think you're better off adding the yogurt than what it sounds like the alternative might be
:-)

jenny, great to see you, kid...

mama, congrats on getting back on track...i'm right behind ya...

Last edited by tony8; 10-11-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Mama, good job getting back on track. Isn't that the pits when you have to get all that stuff out of your system again? Even the thought of another detox is making me pray to stay on plan during the upcoming holiday season.

Kbeth, if you can do the dairy, it definitely sounds healthier than anonymous fake-food syrup from a fast food place (though I do love my coffee -- have just learned to take it straight up).

I am finally, finally, finally done with work. I thought this day would never end. It nearly didn't -- before midnight, that is.
Wt Loss in 2009: 18 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2010: 42 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2011: 6.5 lbs.
Inches lost around waist: 15
Hit 100-Pounds-Lost Mark on 7/22/10
Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

4th quarter 2010 goal:
to squeeze into my "skinny" loin cloth... ;-)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #126
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
great to be back.

it looks like i will be jockey-ing back and forth to NJ to see my mom every weekend. It does not look very good for her. My brother expects it to be any day now, or certainly before month end. It is hard to watch someone who has provided for you all those years deteriorate before your eyes. We cannot even communicate with her. She has the oxygen mask on practically 24/7. Feeding tubes and picc lines. I certainly do not wish to end my days in like manner, on this world or any other.Also, please see my thread on the main board, entitled: "Just how important IS getting to goal, or staying there?" I posted this for those who are still plagued by binging behavior, and letting the immediacy of the moment weaken their resolve (i.e. myself prior to April 1.) One important footnote: yesterday, we lost one of the great divas of the opera and classical world; JOAN SUTHERLAND. I feel priveleged to have seen her perform at the Met Opera and in concert in her time. She showed them all how it is to be done. FF
Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
FF...you've been on my mind all weekend. I am so sorry that you are going through this. You are in my prayers!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Morning all

ff--I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I wish you and your family peace as you go through this difficult time.

Going to go check out your thread in the ML now.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
it looks like i will be jockey-ing back and forth to NJ to see my mom every weekend. It does not look very good for her. My brother expects it to be any day now, or certainly before month end. It is hard to watch someone who has provided for you all those years deteriorate before your eyes. We cannot even communicate with her. She has the oxygen mask on practically 24/7. Feeding tubes and picc lines. I certainly do not wish to end my days in like manner, on this world or any other.Also, please see my thread on the main board, entitled: "Just how important IS getting to goal, or staying there?" I posted this for those who are still plagued by binging behavior, and letting the immediacy of the moment weaken their resolve (i.e. myself prior to April 1.) One important footnote: yesterday, we lost one of the great divas of the opera and classical world; JOAN SUTHERLAND. I feel priveleged to have seen her perform at the Met Opera and in concert in her time. She showed them all how it is to be done. FF
Sorry to hear about your mother, I lost mine at an early age to Cancer(47). It is hard watching someone who has taken care of you deteriorate before your eyes. Glad you are back!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #130

Thanks, Blitzers, for your support.

Being back at work is, in some respects, a blessing. Back to structure. FF
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
FF Im sorry about your mom. You are in my prayers

I am hungry today! And it is the 3rd day of being officially on plan (been good for the past couple of weeks but have had a 1 -2 cheat days every week So, Im feeling a little light headed today. I hate that feeling.

B: 2 coffee with liq splenda and HWC
3 eggs with some real bacon bits

snack: some beef with mayo/mustard

L: prob get a bunless burger when out - maybe 2 lol

D: steak and maybe a small salad
diet rite
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

I feel so bloated and fat today...I just have to say. Im going to share my thoughts/insecurities and see if you guys ever feel the same. I so want to stay on this plan because I like the fact that we can eat what we eat and never really have to be hungry. However, days like this, when I feel so fat the last thing I think I 'should' be eating is fat and meat....

Diet plans like clean eating, Jackie Warner book, make more sense to me sometime. Do you guys ever feel that way?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
FF, my prayers are with you. I have outlived most of my biological family and a partner. It is very difficult to see them go. Thank you for mentioning Joan Sutherland. I am also a big admirer of hers and hadn't heard she passed. I'll be heading over to the ML to read you there.

Tony, pictures! I want pictures when you meat, er, meet that goal.

Lacey, we have an awful lot of cultural brainwashing about what consistitutes a healthy diet. Even once the scientific part of my brain had convinced me that low-carb was the healthies way to go, I had trouble getting behind it emotionally. (I had spent almost 30 years as a vegetarian, after all.) My move toward eating meat and fat without guilt has been a gradual process over the years. De-programming takes a while.

That being said, there are people who do vegetarian low-carb and I know one of the women on the one-meal-a-day thread (someone recently revived it in the ML) was primarily a fish eater, salmon being her fave. She seemed to thrive on salmon and vegies mostly. There are also people on the Muscle Matters board who eat more like a clean weight-lifting diet. So there are a whole lot of ways of being low-carb. Snoop around LC and you'll find a lot of them. One of them should fit you.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #134

i am hoping to have my own pc before year end. I hope to be able to let u all see THE REAL ME. I hope the shock does not freak u out. FF
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
FF--I'm sorry you are going through this difficult time with your mother. It isn't easy being Hewman...this too shall pass...
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
i am hoping to have my own pc before year end. I hope to be able to let u all see THE REAL ME. I hope the shock does not freak u out. FF
ff, again so sorry about your mom. you and your family in my thoughts.

and can't wait to see the real you, especially as we already know the real you!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

re. lacey's comment

lacey, i totally know what you mean, especially on days like today when i am having bottled dressings and lots of bacon (organic and nitrate-free, but still salt-laden and from the body of an animal with no lymphatic system), but for me when i'm not eating LC, i'm not eating raw organic foods or macrobiotic or whatver my current idea of "healthy" is. i'm eating way too many carbs and sugar. LC has been the only thing to keep the binges at bay.

that said, i also see my current way to eating as a means to an end. years ago, when i first started eating LC (i happened to be in a 12 step program for food), i started out with lots of salt, bottled dressings, diet soda, etc. very unhealthy, but it got the sugar out of my system. then, i gave up artificial sweeteners. later, i cut down on salt. then, dairy, etc. it was a slow process over five years, all the while abstaining from sugar and most starches. eventually (long story), i realized that certain primary concepts of the 12 step program were quite detrimental for me and keeping me in depression and left the program. unfortunately, i started eating sugar again and have been struggling to kick it for the past several years. i struggle with wanting to to go "all or nothing", i.e. all organic homemade foods, no dairy, little salt, etc., but each time i get too restrictive i go back to binging. i think i am finally seeing that it makes sense for me to do all of this a little at a time. so today...lots of bacon, but if i stay away from sugar i think i'll be able to slowly get rid ofanything that doesn't promote excellent health over time. i guess it's a fine line for me and a lot of intuition.

oh, and ditto on the emotional piece. i am a vegetarian at heart, but it just hasn't worked for my body yet. maybe one day, but until then i am sticking with LC, getting pastured meats as much as i can, and trying not to think too much about the animals when cooking them...!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

today's food

- water, detox tea, 2 eggs, decaf with half and half
- water, feeling a little better today, less hungry
- BLTs, extra bacon, no bread, little chicken, calmag drink
- water, hopefully little nap while my daughter's sleeping, though i've got mountains of laundry to be folded here
- dinner out with an old friend, cobb salad, no croutons, etc., tea?

have a great day everyone. laundry awaits!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i am really sorry that your mom is so ill...my mom was at death's door a few times and then surprised everyone by recovering...she lived a pretty good quality of life for about 5 years longer than they thought she would, so i've learned where there is life, there is hope...and remember, we are here whenever you need some support, brother...

lacey, i know exactly what you mean...before my recent stall, i was losing at a pretty healthy pace - in mid-september i was down 31 pounds in a little over 5 months...my diet is a hybrid of LC, low cal and lower cholesterol...the plan basically consists of just about no sugar, salt, starches, breads, grains, etc., no sweets, except a little healthy low-glycemic index fruit, very little dairy or cheese, very little red meat and almost no processed food...

pretty much chicken, fish, veggies, spices, olive oil and healthy fruit...i have been surprised by how many different dishes i can make with those foods...an occasional red meat dish, or occasional cheese or eggs etc. are allowed...and i allow myself a few croutons on salad as an exception...

plans only work if you can live with them and not feel deprived...for me, this one has worked...i feel like i am eating healthy food - not overdoing one genre like fat - and my blood work changed dramatically in three short months...blood sugar became normal, triglycerides went from 200+ to 87, cholesterol way down, bp normal, etc. - my doc couldn't believe the change from april to july...

my stall occured when i started relaxing some of the rules and eating more carbs and cheese and red meat - and therefore, more calories...still no sugar, but enough cheating to cause a stall and a gain...

now i have been evaluating how to make changes to get back on track, and i am concluding that the best and easiest thing for me to do, is to get strictly back on my original plan...i am just healthier and lose more weight when i employ that woe...

so that's what i'm doing...i've done the strict atkins plan in the past, and i felt great for about 2 months and lost weight rapidly and then started feeling poorly - hard to describe - but i just didn't feel right...it was a good short-term plan and i would not hesitate to employ it and go through induction again to break up a stall, or to lose a chunk of weight, but it's not a "forever" plan for me...but i have found that LC can be sustainable if i make a few healthy exceptions...i have never felt poorly during these blitzes and the blood work proved i was getting healthier, so for me this makes sense...

although i accept that eating anything other than an occasional, tiny quantity of sugar is out for me for life, and starches and processed foods are just plain bad for me, most other things i believe are okay in moderation...when i get to goal, i expect to eat a balanced diet, low in fat and cholesterol and without sugar, processed foods and high-glycemic starches and grains...

wow, i wrote a book - sorry!

p.s. shadow, be careful what you ask for...lol...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 10-12-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Hey Tony----I couldn't help noticing that what your ideal plan is, actually is Atkins! I think people get stuck in induction and don't realize that there is a whole plan, not just one phase. His plan incorporates all whole foods that your body will tolerate, but he has a specific design as to how to add them in when you and your body are ready for them....but most people don't take that next step. He also was quite open in his books that most people will from time to time eat the dreaded 'whites', but that this needs to be the exception, not the rule. Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there since you have been talking about doing an induction type menu to break your stall, maybe check out the book and then take the next step and before you know it---following his plan---you will be at the type of menu you described for maintenance. Just a thought.

Lacey---I was never a big meat eater and that was always why I thought that I failed when trying to low carb. Although I have now found ways to make meat that I love---I still don't feel great (physically) when I eat much more than a minimal amount of animal protein. There are days when I don't eat it at all, and days when it's just basically a 'condiment.' I have come to love fish and actually have always loved chicken so those are my 'meats of choice' and I feel best when I eat those. However I also love a good steak and have developed a love of sausage for some strange reason. But I just try to keep my portions smaller on those things. There are lots of other protein sources that are low carb, so don't feel like you have to be limited to just meat if it bothers you, physically or mentally.

Looks like everyone is doing great and meeting those goals. Although I have been wobbly for the last week or so with the sugar, I seem to be on the right track now. Last week for my goal of walking 5000 steps per day--well, I made it a few days, came close a few days and was waaaaay under 1 day. :blush: However, progress is being made as the last 2 days I have been over 9000 each day.

Have a great night all!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey teresa, well what d'ya know, i've been on atkins and didn't even realize it!...thanks for pointing that out!... :-)

hey jenny, how are you doing, girl?...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Hey Tony and everyone else,

Haven't been drinking, been eating very low carb and the weight is coming off--I'm down about 11lbs since the beginning of September (I just lost another lb today) so I'm feeling pretty good.

I haven't stepped the exercise up much yet, but am really focusing on eating well and not drinking right now--I can only have so much will power at once. I get pretty good exercise as it is, but woud like to up it to include weightlifting. I committed to meeting my sister every Monday morning starting next week and I'll see how that goes. Would like to add in Thursday's too but also have so much other stuff I'm trying to get done right now it's hard to find the time.

I'd like to lose at least 20 and closer to 30lbs by the end of February--I think I'm on track to do this if I can keep it up!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #143

i suppose it is difficult to appreciate how fat and red meat...

can be healthy after a lifetime of indoctrination to the contrary. But, like Alfred E. Newman says: "What, ME worry?" I am enjoying my high fat regimen. My goal is to die with a smile on my face. Egg white omelets just won't do that. Last night I had a 0.87 steak, bone in (allw for 1 oz to be neutralized in the cooking, and another oz for the bone), and a large chicken leg about 3 hrs later. I did not go over my WW points, either. I slept peacefully, and woke up refreshed. It doesn't get better than that (unless u factor in some oomox as well). FF
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i think you are doing exactly the right thing, and getting the results to prove it...i wouldn't recommend changing a thing...and you are feeling better all the time, which to me, is the biggest test...

i think each of our bodies work a bit differently, metabolize certain foods differently, etc...i love red meat and fat - nothing better than marinated steak tips on the grill and i do treat myself to them from time to time - but my blood tests in the past reflected elevated LDL cholesterol and when my atkins plan was loaded with red meat, eggs, bacon, etc (all of which i love), my cholesterol and ratios did not improve...they didn't get worse either, but my goal was always to avoid more meds, so i decided to try an atkins plan that restricted my meats a bit more...

i agree about the indoctrination we get...i am certainly hoping that once i get to goal, my machinery will work better and i will be able to eat red meat more moderately and still avoid lipitor and a heart attack...my dad died at age 44 of a heart attack and i currently have several risk factors, so the docs are more concerned about my blood lipid profile than they might be with some other guys...

but i do believe it's all about how well we feel on any plan...the one i've chosen makes me feel better than i've felt at any time in 20 years...maybe some of it is psychological, but between how i feel, my blood work, the way my clothes fit, etc. i think i'm on the right track when i stay strong and stay on plan...which is easier said than done! :-)

btw, i hope you will keep us posted on your mom...

i am sooooooooo proud of you, jenny!!!...11 lbs. in 1 1/2 months is so incredible and reflects an inner strength you should be proud of...what a comeback!...great job...easing into the exercise is a good idea too...good luck next monday!...

mama, i think the approach you took was very smart...i think a plan should evolve over time to become healthier - you build on the success you've had and it does get easier to eliminate other things as you move along...

i needed a great day yesterday and i think i had one:
b: 1/2 grilled chicken breast
l: pistachio nuts :-)
s: turkey jerky
d: stir-fried chicken breast and veggies

talk to y'all in a bit!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Have lots to say to all the great posts, but time is at a premium this week, so I only have a minute.

B: greek yogurt and berries, pecans
L: taco meat on salad
S: ?
D: tofu and veggies

Exercise: callanetics

Have a great day!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

have lots to say too, but also little time...

so i'll just write my food for now:
- water, tea, 2 eggs, decaf with cream
- salad with feta, a few olives, way too much pepperoni (yuck! felt good going down, but feel gross now...no more) and some olive oil
- water, calmag drink

dinner will be salad, chicken, and a marie's dressing, 2 T freshly ground flax with cinn

going to mother-in-law's with my daughter this afternoon - wish me luck...!

have a good one everyone.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

can't wait to hear what everyone has to say! :-)

the menus sound really good around here today...mine is:
b: about 3 oz. grilled chicken breast
l: a few apple slices
s: a few walnuts
d: not sure yet but i'm thinking either pork chops or chicken halves on the grill

good luck, mama - hope you make it back unscathed :-)

good job on the exercise kbeth!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Wow. Nothing lifts the spirits quite as much as a really bad haircut. Hmmph.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

thanks for the great words everyone! It is nice to know you all feel this way at times too. I think part of my problem was that I have not been working out either. Im just feeling "yucky" lately I did find a great workout though and did it today...somthing different than my normal so that was nice. Let me ask you something else. Do you really think you are getting your nutritional needs met following Atkins? I think also my prob is I try to do VLC (under 10) a day. I suffer and have suffered from bulimia for years and have read a lot of people on these boards have cured their eating disorder with VLC. But I do feel miserable eating only meats and fats with an occasional veggie. So here is what Im thinking....I will eat a majority of veggies with some meats (mostly chicken and fish because they make me feel better than red meats) and just some fats. I mean doing VLC I would eat a tub of mayo a week....no wonder I felt like poo! Ok, thanks again to everyone on here!!!! Lacey
Old 10-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lacey, i'm sure several people here who know more than i do will answer your question, but the plan you are considering sounds like what i have been doing for 6 1/2 months...the only carbs i eat, and i don't count them, are from veggies (no starchy ones) and high-fiber, low-glycemic index fruit...then as much lean chicken and fish as i want with the occasional lean red meat...no sugar and processed food - most of my fat comes from the fish and olive oil...

i feel great, have lost over 10% of my body weight and have reversed most of my medical issues almost completely...i'm only halfway to goal, and have had my rough spots, but all in all, it's been a big improvement... :-)

kbeth, i'm ready for a haircut and you're scaring me!...
Closed Thread