Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAgieDen View Post
ONEDERland here we come!
I love your enthusiasm, Maggie! If you have any new ideas, don't be shy.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/218.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
welcome shadow - great to have you with us!...never heard of intermittent fasting - read some of your links - very interesting...

ff, sorry for the confusion - i didn't say % of body fat - i was suggesting % of body weight lost...we can't expect a 125 lb. woman to lose as much raw weight as a 218 lb. man (me!)...okay, in my case, maybe we can expect that :-)

mama, like kbeth, i could have written a lot of your post too!...thanks for sharing that!

jylly, you are a hoot...if kbeth is spanking, i'll take three...lol...

kbeth, i golfed and got some good exercise in and the weather was awesome - 70 and sunny - gorgeous fall day in new england...came home hungry and thirsty - must've drank a gallon of water...sheesh...

it is tough plateau-ing for this long...i need a couple of very low calorie days i think...

see you all tomorrow - for those of you gone for the weekend, HAVE FUN!!!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Last edited by tony8; 10-08-2010 at 08:41 PM..
Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
WW weigh in with hubby, down .8 lbs!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Welcome Shadow! And WTG Maggie!

B: chicken and coconut oil
L: salad with chicken (with a vinagrette made with Bragg's apple cider vinegar. Tart and yummy!)
S: probably more chicken. blech. I need to go shopping. Sick of chicken
D: ?

Exercise: callanetics

Have a great weekend!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
I just read a thread somewhere about people doing the old Atkins (1972) Induction. This is what you did when you stalled on the old Atkins. It's supposed to get you into ketosis in 3 days and will break up most stalls. This is the diet I used to go on when I was younger. It's basically meat and eggs and fats it allows no cheeses or dairy though. All the people who lasted the 3 days lost their appetite and dropped lbs at the end of the 3 days. You lose your hunger and feel a rush of energy after the 3 days. Think the thread was in the main lobby.

I don't think I could do it but putting it out there for any brave hearts.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

if things don't start happening soon, i'm gonna give that a try, jylly...

kbeth, i know what ya mean about chicken...i catch myself clucking once in a while :-)

maggie - awesome job losing .8 pounds!...that's an aggressive and healthy pace...

hope everyone's having a great weekend...
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Opps I missed you Shadows. Welcome.

I weigh 133.4 this morning. I'm 3.6 lbs from goal. I am so happy to see some virgin loss.

I have to run errand for Dsis now.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jylly View Post
Opps I missed you Shadows. Welcome.

I weigh 133.4 this morning. I'm 3.6 lbs from goal. I am so happy to see some virgin loss.

I have to run errand for Dsis now.
3.6 lbs till your goal, wow that is great!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JYLLY!!!!!...congrats...looks like you're gonna be the first of us to make it...good for you...you're not gonna forget all us "little" people, are you?...lol...

well, i have a confession...i had the absolute worse day of the whole six months yesterday...i won't go into all the gory details unless you ask, and it didn't involve sweets or sugar, but it did involve flour baked into some italian food and i absolutely overdid it...and i have no excuse - i knew what i was doing and i just sucked!...

the only thing i was thinking was that i hadn't eaten any of this stuff in 6 months and it tasted soooo good and i knew i was gonna feel bad about it today and wasn't going to eat any more of it for a long time, so i wanted to get as much as i could while i could...sad and stupid, but i gotta come clean with you guys...

so i think i'm gonna try just meat and LC veggies for a few days to cleanse myself of these carbs and insulin coursing through my veins...on a "grasping for straws" positive note, i did do my exercises this morning...

oh, well, committing to posting here every day is my salvation because unlike in the past, i can't let a bad day turn into a bad week...i owe it to you guys to be strong and pull my weight around here...thank you for that...ff is gonna whoop me on tuesday - i can feel it now and i earned it!...

see y'all a bit later on...
Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Tony-- I know the feeling you're talking about where you think "if I give myself permission I better go for it", at least you didn't make yourself sick. Think of it as a carb loading day, I've heard that can shake things up sometimes.

I have been staying very true to plan, eating mostly meat (small portions) with very little veggies and no fruit, also trying to limit dairy and not drinking alchohol at all ...and I was rewarded with a slight drop in the scale. I didn't make my 1.5lbs this week (more like 1 lb) but I'm not going to get discouraged. If I keep going at this rate I will be 15lbs thinner by my trip to Hawaii in Feb. and that is a whole lot better than where I'm at!

I think my age must be catching up with me cuz I don't remember losing this slowly (I turned 40 this year) but i don't really have a choice but to keep on...
Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jenny, thanks for trying to help me find a silver lining... :-) it was definitely carb loading...but i'm back on track today and my goal is to survive this week without gaining, which in itself will be a tall order considering my behavior!...

congrats on losing a pound!...that is awesome!...remember, you're not heavy enough to lose much more than that in a healthy way...my body weight requires about 2300 calories a day to maintain it, so if i eat 1800 a day, i'm only gonna lose a pound a week (500/dayx7days=3500=1lb.) and 1800 is pretty low...of course LC can provide better results, but cals in and out is still a fairly reliable formula...

for your weight, you require even fewer calories, so if you lose a pound, that's a BIG deal!...
Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Hey Tony the carb loading day worked for me. I had the donut day it gets your weight at least moving and IF you can get to super induction it did work for me. I weighted the same for well over a month.

Jenny you lucky girl you. Hawaii. You gotta look great cause the beach is where it's at in Hawaii. You have to look good for pictures in grass skirts and mumu's. I loved one of the big hotels had a ceremony with cabanna boy types running around lighting the torches every day at sunset.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post

well, i have a confession...i had the absolute worse day of the whole six months yesterday...i won't go into all the gory details unless you ask, and it didn't involve sweets or sugar, but it did involve flour baked into some italian food and i absolutely overdid it...and i have no excuse - i knew what i was doing and i just sucked!...
the only thing i was thinking was that i hadn't eaten any of this stuff in 6 months and it tasted soooo good and i knew i was gonna feel bad about it today and wasn't going to eat any more of it for a long time, so i wanted to get as much as i could while i could...sad and stupid, but i gotta come clean with you guys...

so i think i'm gonna try just meat and LC veggies for a few days to cleanse myself of these carbs and insulin coursing through my veins...on a "grasping for straws" positive note, i did do my exercises this morning...

oh, well, committing to posting here every day is my salvation because unlike in the past, i can't let a bad day turn into a bad week...i owe it to you guys to be strong and pull my weight around here...thank you for that...ff is gonna whoop me on tuesday - i can feel it now and i earned it!...

see y'all a bit later on...
The great thing about life is that we always have a new day! Progression NOT Perfection!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

tony...I was also going to mention that this *might* break your stall. It has happened to me before when I have been majorly stalled. Sometimes your body might need a curve ball. It'll be interesting to see how this week plays out...

B: burger
S: burger with nacho cheese sauce and sourcream
L: --kind of a poor decision. I was stressed out by a whiny 4 year old. I whipped my car into the nearest Starbucks and ordered a gigantic Breve Latte with sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup. Holy Cr@p was it good. The downside: gobs of dairy and with all that cream I cannot imagine the calorie count. The worst part is that I wanted to relieve stress with food. Even tho it was a some-what on plan choice, it was still a binge-type reaction.
D: chicken salad with purple cabbage

No exercise

I've had a rough few days with DS...I've been low on energy and craving junk. I've had too much sodium/junky low carb food, nothing off plan, but still, not nourishing myself as I should. I plan to be HARD CORE again this week!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!

Last edited by kbeth; 10-10-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks for the support guys...it would be nice to see something positive come out of this, not that i deserve it :-)

kbeth, i was disappointed in myself too - i thought i was beyond the kind of behavior i exhibited yesterday - made me realize that i didn't get this way by accident...there is still something dysfunctional about my relationship with food...i guess it is a good thing to know, moving forward...

that burger with nacho cheese sauce and sour cream sounds great...where do you get the nacho cheese sauce?...

maggie, i'm the poster boy for "imperfection"...lol...

jylly, i almost forgot you had a "donut day"...that does give me some hope ;-)
Old 10-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Hey guys, hope you all had a nice weekend!

I just did a quick skim and am going to go back and read some more, but a couple things quick.

tony--you asked about stalls and I'll have to say that during the bulk of my weight loss I got very 'lucky' in that regard. I had some serious medical problems at one point and try as I might couldn't lose much of anything for a few months, but other than that I was pretty consistent down to the last 20 lbs or so, and then my 'stalls' were often of my own making! That hasn't always been the case for me though and before embarking on this journey I did a lot of soul searching and a lot of analyzing of what truly has worked and hasn't worked for me in the past---and really focused on what I wanted maintenance to look like for me in regards to eating---and devised a plan from all of that. I got lucky and hit the jackpot! You mentioned a couple of pages back that you were going to cut back the carbs and that would kind of be my suggestion----honestly I would cut back on the processed carbs. I have really found that my body is very sensitive to processed stuff. I can eat a banana or a potato with no problem---but the same amount of carbs in a processed form results in gains and/or cravings for me. I think my body just doesn't know how to break down a lot of that stuff. So anyway, that would be my 2cents but as always, YMMV.

mama---oh my gosh, I thought it was just me that would make it through the event (whether a stressful one or a celebration) just fine---only to binge later. I can totally relate to that, but I sure don't understand what it's all about.

OK--now back to more reading.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

tony...we had a nacho bar at church today to raise money for kids to go to camp. I was in charge of 8 lbs of taco meat!! So, of course, I made my own LC taco seasoning (thank you Linda Sue!!--wait, have you been introduced to the talents of the amazing Linda Sue??) and someone else brought a big food service can of nacho cheese sauce. I looked at the label--only 4 grms carbs per 1/4 cup! So, huge bowl of taco meat, cheese sauce and sour cream--was seriously yummy!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

OK, caught up now.

ff--I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you have a nice trip, under the circumstances, and that you and your brother can get past your differences.

tony---have you every been tested for any kind of gluten intolerance? Some of your symptoms when eating grains, and that you crave them, sounds like stuff I have read about that---however I definitely am no expert on the topic.

You mentioned your dysfunctional relationship with food and thinking it would have been gone/resolved by now....I can only speak for myself but I don't believe mine will ever be repaired. It's something I will have to work around, or with or whatever for the rest of my life. It sucks---but being over 300 lbs for most of my life also sucked, so I keep trying to remind myself that being on top of it everyday (or at least most days) is what I'll have to do to make sure I don't ever go back there.

kbeth---gosh, I wish my parents had understood healthy eating and brought me up like you are doing with your son. I also think that backing off some now is a good idea---otherwise he could just end up feeling deprived which we know can set up all kinds of problems.

I know the bingy reaction is scary, but good for you for not allowing it to become a binge!

Jenny--do you think you could be eating too few calories? I know for me in past weight loss attempts that would always end up back firing on me after an initial loss. Glad you are hanging in there and trying out some different things.....that is the hardest part, finding the right 'formula' at any given time. Hawaii--I'm jealous!!

jylly---congrats on getting to a new low!! There are all kinds of delicious low carb pumpkin things in case you want to change up your survival celebration next year. I actually saw a recipe for lc pumpkin donuts recently.

I hear you on the psychological stuff that goes with the new slim identity....geesh, who would have thought this would be so hard?!

mama---I have not given up sweeteners at all, and don't suspect I ever will. Other than some occasional liquid splenda---I use all natural sweeteners---stevia, erythritol, yacon syrup, etc.

LC Shadows---welcome!!

Maggie---welcome!! I LOVE Macinac Island, and the Fall is such a perfect time to be there with all the changing colors!

OK--think I'm all caught up and I seem to be back on track...thankfully. Now I need to get ready for bed---I've had a long week, short weekend, and another tough week coming up. Night!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh yeah, one more thing, I must be the odd ball here cause I don't particularly like popcorn....unless it's caramel, and even then I'm still not that into it.

Now I'm really going to bed. Night.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi teresa, thanks for all the great info and sharing your experience - that really helps... i've never been tested for gluten intolerance...i'm gonna assume i'm intolerant to all grains for awhile and see if i can get things moving in the right direction again... :-)

i'm hoping my relationship with food isn't permanently broken...it definitely still needs fixing - but this is the longest i've ever stuck to any plan and i've had very few real slips in six months and they've only lasted a day or two...i'm hopeful that it is just part of the healing process and that i am learning a new, healthier woe and it is getting more ingrained every day and setting the occasional slip aside, i will master this and be able to maintain a healthy weight once i get to goal <fingers crossed>...

i agree that i am going to have to be vigilant about this for the rest of my life...it took me 20 years to gain the weight i did - that's 40% of my life spent being overweight...that's the reality i am committed to changing...and i will post here every day i can until i get to my goal - i promised myself that, and i'm sure i will stay even after that cuz i'd miss you guys...although all of you will reach goal before me, so it's YOU that will have to stick around! :-)

kbeth, that sounds so yummy!...
Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Jylly...Yay! So close to goal. Good for you!

Teresa...Glad to hear you're back on track. It's all part of the journey to good health, isn't it?

tony...Progress, not perfection as Maggie says. While you may always have to be vigilant, I would like to think that eventually this WOE will become more of a habit...and that the occasional off-plan meal would just be that: occasional. Six months of sticking to it is a really long time. That's huge!

B: Spoonful of cottage cheese with flax. Egg. veggies.
L: tuna
S: chicken and veggies
D: going to grill something

Exercise:Going to the gym. Ready to work HARD.

Have a great day!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, everyone for all the warm welcomes! I am happy to report I am down 2.5 pounds this morning -- after being stalled since the first week in September. Yay!

Jylly, congrats on being so close to goal! That must feel so awesome. ... And cabana boys at sunset? (perk) What were they wearing?

Tony, I so feel what you are going through. Don't beat yourself up. Just get back on plan and let your healthy WOE correct the carbage. It is easy to have a day where you want to throw in the towel when you're on a long stall. I have hit so many stalls since I started losing weight 2-1/2 years ago. It is hard to stay the course, but if you do, you will get there. My weight loss today brings me to the halfway point (114.5 pounds down, 114.5 pounds to go) in a very long journey. Will it take me another 2-1/2 years? I hope not, but if it does, I'm sticking. I know this WOE works and is healthy. In addition to the meat/egg fast someone mentioned above, the Atkins book has a 3-day Fat Fast that many have found effective at breaking a stall. If you search the low carb challenges section of LCF, you'll find a thread for it and some ideas of what people have eaten on it. Basically, it is eating 90% of your calories from fat for 3 days. Sending you positive energy on seeing a new number and coming home to low-carb to stay.

Maggie, my Onderland goal twin! 2.5 pounds closer to goal today, and I am so thrilled. Congrats on your .8 loss at WW! Look forward to seeing you on the MIF board tomorrow. I am so psyched.

to everyone!
Wt Loss in 2009: 18 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2010: 42 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2011: 6.5 lbs.
Inches lost around waist: 15
Hit 100-Pounds-Lost Mark on 7/22/10
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kbeth, thanks for the encouragement - i agree that this woe is becoming a habit, and i am committed to never giving up at this...i believe 100% that there will be no sustained slipping, no matter how slow the progress is...

that being said, i don't quite understand the psychology to all of this...my bad day may just be a reaction to the stall and the accompanying disappointment, but it is interesting how i almost felt like i was fighting an urge to sabotage myself...weird...

i'm not aware of any deep-seeded issues i'm struggling with, but there is definitely something at work under the surface that i don't quite understand...

this whole journey is going to be good for me - that's all i really know :-)

shadow, i am so proud of you - down 2.5 pounds and halfway to goal!...awesome, girl...it is so impressive that in 2010 you have already doubled your total loss for 2009!...you are a very strong person to accomplish what you have!...so happy you are here...and thanks for the understanding :-)
Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
I would love to join this group! My 1st goal is to stay on plan (absolutely NO CHEATS) until Christmas Day! Today:
B: egg salad coffee with HWC and liq splenda
L: hamburger with 1 TBS mayo and mustard
D: Chicken breast plain with coleslaw recipe I saw on here (slaw, bacon, cream cheese)

Thanks everyone! Your posts are inspiring and Im excited to start with you!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Lacey-Welcome to the group.

Kbeth-It was yyour thwack that did it. Must have knocked some sense into me can't thank you enough.

Shadows- the boys in Hawaii wore very little, as I recall, some sort of ancient loincloth.

Congrats to all you losers

Jylly the grump
Old 10-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Jylly you are too funny-- "ancient lioncloth" I have alot to look forward too!
Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
shadow, i am so proud of you - down 2.5 pounds and halfway to goal!...awesome, girl...it is so impressive that in 2010 you have already doubled your total loss for 2009!...you are a very strong person to accomplish what you have!...so happy you are here...and thanks for the understanding :-)
Thanks, Tony! I put that in my sig line partially in hopes that it will inspire others not to give up, even if their weight loss stalls. It is interesting what you have to say about the feeling that something is brewing under the surface related to your off-plan eating. Have you ever tried journaling or timed writing to see what pops up out of that fertile subconcious?

Jylly, Putting trip to Hawaii on my bucket list. Loincloths, er, I mean, Pacific culture, here I come!

Welcome, Lacey! Great goal.

Teresa, count me in the non-popcorn fan group. It always smells so great, and then the taste always disappoints.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Lacymichelle! We have similar stats...it'll be great to compare notes on how to get to goal. Can I ask how tall you are?

jylly...heh.

Thinking I'm going to have to add greek yogurt and berries back in. That was such a treat for me, and I think without it I am picking other ways to treat myself that aren't such a good idea. This is the 3rd time this week I've gotten a big, fancy coffee. Wasted calories and dairy, not to mention the massive amount of sugar-free syrup. At least yogurt is healthy. Perhaps I'll lose a bit slower, but it's better than making poor decisions, which is where this is headed I fear.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

KBeth, I weighed 136 on Sat. I am 5'6. So, yes we have basicely the same stats! I would love to compare notes.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

KBeth....For treats I love love making protein shakes. I use a scoop of whey (butter cream toffee mix) with 2 carbs and mix with water ice and 1 TBS HWC! Taste like dessert!
Closed Thread