Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
kbeth, congratulations!...a one pound loss in any week is a big deal!...i'm proud of you and it's good to see the gym on your list...i just finished my workout...

well, i stayed put at 218 this week - was hoping for 217, but it didn't happen...i am convinced that i will show a loss by next week, as i am feeling better just in the last two days without the grains...i think there is less inflammation in my hip already, as it was less painful this morning...

i believe that cutting my carbs to low low levels now after 3 months of pretty low carbs will jumpstart my losses again...that's my story and i'm stickin to it...at least for two weeks... :-)

all good points, ff - focus on the plan and the scale will take care of itself!...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
complacent as a swine in excrement!!!

I gained. but only 0.6 lbs. That is a victory. FF
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'll be honest--I'm getting a little frustrated. The scale is not going down this week and if anything I'm slightly up...I haven't deviated at all from plan and have been eating very few calories, I wonder what's going on?

Oh well, I don't have a choice but to keep on keeping on! Maybe I'll get a 2 lbs whoosh one day soon.

I'm just going to relax--make sure I'm eating healthy whole foods (veggies, fats and meat) and not go hungry. When the scale isn't moving I feel like I should eat less and then I start getting more panicked when the scale doesn't move cuz I'm hungry!

Yesterday I ate--

1 egg, 1 very small piece cantaloupe, 2 sausage links

2 ounces salami, two slices apple

4 ounces pot roast meat and about 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower

Today I'll eat
kale--sausage soup for lunch

and steak, salad and grilled zuchinni for dinner--
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
FF...well that's good news after not being on your medication, right? I enjoy your attitude about eventually reaching goal. The desire for instant gratification is a character flaw that I struggle with in many areas of life.
And yes, the scent of popcorn could drive me mad.

jenny...I wasn't losing for several weeks and I finally said goodbye to fruit. It isn't easy because I fix so much of it for DH and DS, and I believe it's got so much good stuff in it for you....but, sure enough as soon as I cut it out (and dairy) I started losing again. I'm still eating fairly high calories, but it seems that the fruit/dairy thing is what stalls me.
Would you mind posting your kale-sausage soup recipe? That sounds so good and nourishing.
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
i love popcorn too!

air-popped with real butter...mmm...i'm down for the popcorn party when we get to goal.

tony, i like the nickname "mama"! makes me sound so much cooler than i am...i am inspired by the no sweets at all, though not willing to try it myself yet. stevia in my coffee with cream is like dessert! one day maybe...

congrats on the losses and even plateaus. for the last few years i had been steadily gaining, so even if i stay still for a few weeks or go up a tiny amount, i have to acknowledge that as a win.

take care all!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

tony...yeah, I buckled down on my WOE just as cold weather/painful joints season arrived. It was amazing to me just after a few days how much the inflammation improved.

llm...My li'l dude is 4. I was super-careful about his nutrition for the first 3 years of his life. Whole foods, organic, no sugar/sweetener. He was the healthiest little kid. In the last year I've relaxed...he wants what his buddies are having and frankly, I don't blame him. I've decided to be somewhere in the middle and hope to teach him about making good decisions regarding food. (I guess that's the whole idea of parenting, isn't it? Teach them to make good decisions? )
You were asking about Stevia...I use it a bit. I try hard not to use Artificial sweeteners, but once a week or so I'll have a diet soda or a fancy Starbucks coffee with sugarfree syrup. I've pretty much had to kick sweet stuff out to the curb because it makes me bingey. But, I do use stevia in greek yogurt, the occasional creamcheese/pumpkin thing...thankfully my 4 yr old enjoys it, too!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #67

hey jfinchster.

i think it is time to review and tweak the plan, just a tad. w/o making any other changes, try for just a few weeks to live w/o fruit and the salted meats (aka salami, sausages). Once u see the scale moving again, u may add them back GRADUALLY, in small increments...the fruits 1st-berries., then occassional sausage, salami etc. Trust me. I would not ask u to do anything that i was not prepared to do. i am holding off from fruit till next late Spring. Salted meats i do from time to time, but not on a regular basis. See what happens, say 21 days from now. I would also re-read ATKINS DANDR. The chapters on plateaus, yeast etc. I hope this advice is helpful. And remember that the scale is a guide, not a God. FF
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

kbeth--
Here's how I made the soup--I didn't use a recipe but just used amounts that seemed poportional if you know what I mean, I like my soup with lots of broth and kale.

I boiled chicken bones to make a broth (out a splash of vinegar to leach minerals from bones) and also added chicken boullion paste for saltiness--

I then sauteed onion, garlic and italian sausage (can use chicken italian sausage if trying to keep calories lower) in an iron skillet, add some of the chix broth to the pan to scrape up the browned bits of meat and enrich the broth.

Then I added to the broth/sausage mixture a bunch of chopped kale (it really shrinks down) and diced turnips (you could used diced pumpkin instead, which makes a really yummy and quite different tasting soup) plus some crushed red pepper and fennel.

Simmer until veggies are tender (about 20-30 min) You can add a generous splash of heavy cream at this point or just leave out if trying to avoid dairy or keep calories lower.

Nice soup for fall...too bad my five year old daughter won't eat it, she hasn't developed her taste for kale yet...
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

FF--I think that is good advice--

the sausage I use is nitrate free and doesn't have any sugar in it--just meat and spices--all natural. I probably won't worry too much about that..

I usually eat no nitrate all natural salami too, but yesterday's was a European sausage stick thing--lots of salt in it and probably nitrates too. I will just keep to clean eating--a can of tuna would have been a better choice for on the go lunch...

I guess I will try no fruit at all--sometimes just a little slice of apple really helps my sweet tooth and it seems no worse (actually better for you) than eating a piece of sugar free gum or something. Maybe I should just drink a glass of water instead or have a cup of chai tea....
Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post

llm...
You were asking about Stevia...I use it a bit. I try hard not to use Artificial sweeteners, but once a week or so I'll have a diet soda or a fancy Starbucks coffee with sugarfree syrup. I've pretty much had to kick sweet stuff out to the curb because it makes me bingey. But, I do use stevia in greek yogurt, the occasional creamcheese/pumpkin thing...thankfully my 4 yr old enjoys it, too!
When I just re-read this, I realized that it sounds like I'm calling stevia an artificial sweetener. I'm not, but it just written weird.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #71
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Evening all!

I have not been doing the greatest the last few days so I'm working on getting myself back on track....so far not very successfully but I will get there---I always do. Just seems like I have to wallow in my own misery for awhile first or something.

Going back to catch up on posts.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
When I just re-read this, I realized that it sounds like I'm calling stevia an artificial sweetener. I'm not, but it just written weird.
no, i got what you meant. great that your son likes the stevia sweetened stuff. he's a lucky kid to have a parent-model taking such good care of herself and teaching him about good real food. it's funny, i've been doing the same thing with my daughter (aka "the bunny") thus far. i make her a smoothie each day of spinach, celery, cucumber, green apple, and water. she drinks a quart a day. almost all of her food is organic, real, etc. however, she is starting to notice the cookies and cake that others in her playgroup are eating. why must my mommy friends feed their 18 month olds this garbage?! so...i think how long can this last? and i know at some point, though hopefully not for a few years, i will have to loosen the reins a bit. i hope to teach her to notice how she feels after eating certain foods and realize which foods make her feel best. in the meantime, i'm going to keep pumping her full of the good stuff and hope that these are the foods she acquires a taste for.

one more am of the shiva and then we are going to my grandmother's house upstate for the weeked - woohoo! no internet access - gasp - so i won't be in touch until tuesday.

have an awesome long weekend everyone!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

hey mama, hope you have a great weekend upstate...bet the foliage will be pretty!...

teresa, we all have rough days...you'll get back on the horse...i can only imagine the strong will it took to do what you've done!...

jenny, don't be frustrated - you are really doing well...i believe stalling and slipping are parts of the process of getting to a healthy weight...

teresa, you are a weight-loss champion...can you share anything about stalls and slips?...did you have them while you were losing?...

ff, congrats on such a small gain under the circumstances - that is remarkable!...

kbeth - you're a good mom :-)

Last edited by tony8; 10-07-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #74

going to jersey for the weekend.

i think my earth brother is cool about my diet now. very hard to get a consistent read on him, though. However, i am sticking to my guns no matter what. My earth mom is not doing too well lately. She is back in the hospital again, which is why i am going out to Jersey. I expect, barring the unforeseen, to be back here on Tuesday. For those of us who are straying from plan, it is time to ask ourselves the big questions. What was missing that caused us to stray? Do we have a structured plan? What is more important, getting to goal or straying? The latter is not an idle question. I love all the comfort foods, and have not gven up the possibility, that some day in the future, I might sample some (e.g. Nathan's French Fries), when i am in control, and there is no chance of going off the deep end. However, I cannot even allow myself to do that before next summer the earliest. Losing as much as possible in the time remaining is more important than any off- plan yummy. Being on plan means being on plan for months at a time, so that our metabolisms can have the chance to work properly. Hope this advice was helpful FF
Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Goal Wt-135 lbs! (-6 lbs.)
WOE: Stillman's - 18 days - Not my lifetime woe!
Start Date: 7/28/14 - 8/17/14
Question?

I noticed that some of you posted your weigh in results on Thursday. Is everyone doing this as a group? Are some of you just weighing in whenever you want or maybe not weighing in and being just part of the group? Every group seems to have their own things going and I was just wondering?

Inquiring minds what to know
Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

hi maggie, there are no rules in here and we don't have a structured weigh-in...it just so happens that some of us are doing a weekly weigh-in on thursdays and some on other days and some of us post the results...and some don't...

it's very laid back...no expectations...so, whatever works for you is just fine...you are part of the group even if you never weigh-in! :-)

ff, you are right...we need to get to goal and sometimes i know i get a little complacent, thinking that "pretty good" is good enough and it isn't...that's why i'm still at 218 instead of 208...thanks for the kick in the butt!...i needed it...

i am sorry to hear about your mom - i lost mine in '06 and she was in and out of the hospital for a few years, so i know how hard it is...hope yours is feeling better soon...and i don't see how your earth brother could not be a believer after seeing what you are accomplishing - happy he's coming around...have a great weekend!...

Last edited by tony8; 10-08-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

still hoping that adam and clanger and loooo come back...if you guys read this, i hope you're doing well and we're here whenever you're ready to join us again!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #78

there is no structure re: weigh-ins...however...

i did mention on 1 or more occasions that Blitz III would have the added twist of an informal BIGGEST LOSER contest to it. The purpose of this is to ward us from any temptation to off plan eating during this last qtr of the yr, when the holidays (beg with Halloween) and ending into 2011 with STAR TREK (superbowl)SUNDAY. It is so easy to get side-tracked. I have seen it so often at WW, and in my own personal life. So, a healthy competition incl voluntary weigh-ins and publishing the results to encourage ourselves is a great and productive idea. The reward??? Ourselves, healthier and smaller on New Years Day. FF
Old 10-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #79

oh, i forgot!!!

yesterday's 0.6 lb gain brings me to 316.2. subtract that from the start of Blitz I (372.8) and we get a total loss of 56.6 lbs. Let us not freak out when the scale does not show us what we want to see, especially when we are doing it correctly. Some things to be aware of:certain meds, sodium, carb creep (zero carb is not zero carb), too many Frankenfoods, too much fruit. etc. Many of the aforementioned are, to be sure YMMVs. I, myself, need to do more exercise. i HAVE BEEN slacking off lately. So, let's do it!!! FF
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

wow, ff, you are getting pretty darn close to 2derland, bro...17 lbs and you are there!...there's no doubt you'll get there before i get to 1derland - i was hoping to make it by new year's but i will have no shot at all until this stall releases me...

gonna try to play 9 holes today with my sons - maybe the exercise will get something moving!...

ff, since we have some lightweights here (i.e. the girls who are pretty light!) :-) maybe the contest should be on % of body weight lost rather than actual lbs.?...just a thought, boss...
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Loooooong Shot But Still Reaching!

It will be a long shot for me to reach ONEDERland but I am going to give it my all!!!!!!!!!

I feel so much better, now that the bread is out of the house! No joke, I am determined and have my mind set on it. I will have NO talk of not accomplishing this goal, none!

So forward I go to a healthier, happier, ME!

We can do it, have a good LC day!

BTW.... I emoticons!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #82

thought i would be hungry by lunch...not really.

i have 1 steak with some broccoli on the side. The steak is 0.87 lbs before cooking. if that is not enough, there are 2 chicken legs in the fridge on deck. I can spread them out thru the evening (which will be a long one). Plenty of H2O and diet soda too. It's gonna be a long afternoon. FF
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

no truer words/long post

first off, and most impotant, ff, so sorry you're mom is not doing well lately. that must be very hard. hoping things improve...

second, i am sorry to say that your post about the "big questions" comes just i time for me. i had been feeling so proud of myself getting through the funeral and the shiva on plan, abstaining from garbage, etc. only to come home today - when it is all over mind you - and completely pollute my body. i'm not talking about upping carbs either; i'm talking about off-plan disgusting good ole' binge foods.

this unfortunely is a familiar pattern. i'll make it throgh some trying period and then when things calm down again binge. so...big questions: 1.) what was missing? another way to unwind and sleep. ok, so yes, i usd to relax with food. that action is not getting me the results i want in mylife. so i need another way. and the big thing that's missing is rest. i eat to keep myself awake, which seems ridiculous when my body needs sleep more than anything else right now. i've been reluctant to replace my precious alone time with sleep, but i know once i bite the bullet and do it i'll feel so much better. you wouldn't think taking a nap or going to bed early wold be such an ordeal, would you? will get to #2 in a minute. 3.) getting to goal is more important. i've been close to my goal for a YEAR. there is no reason i should not be there by now, other tha pyschological. each time i get close, i stop what i'm doig and stall and/or gain. i am SO READY to be at goal, scary as that may be, and deal with it then. (last time i was a normal weight, lots ofother things were going on and i happened to be in a major depression too. keep trying to convince myelf that i canbe thin and healthy and happy. 2.) structure: three meals a day without snacking in between actually works best for me. i have not been doing this because (insert whiny voice here) it's hard. but right now, it's harder keeping myself from goal. so three meals a day. also, i'd like to start posting what i eat each day. i think that wil help me immensely. thatsaid, i'm away this wekend so will not start tha until tuesday. thanks so much for listening to all this.

good luck in jersey ff. and tony, i like your idea about percentage loss! i do enjoy a good contest...

peace,
mama!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

one more thing

i'm also taking this opportunity to cut out stevia, so i'm not even taking stevia with me this weekend. i'm going to post my meals for the days on tuesday, which will keep me accountable when i'm away. thanks all!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #85

on the subject of body fat %...

on Atkins, following it correctly, he guarantees that your weight loss is VIRTUALLY all fat, (after the 1st week or 2) when he says virtually, i think of at least 90 %. so, i do not care about % of body fat. I have enough to calculate as it is. FF
Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
spankings

I think kbeth should get to hand the spankings out this week to all of us.

I weight myself every day and I lost 2 lbs of water weight today. Now to take a month or so, to work off the stinking donut.

I only needed to lose less than 30 lbs and will have been dieting for a year in November. :blush: I think I'm first contender for the worst dieter award. Plus I have a physical problem that causes me to lose weight faster than normal people. I also have a psychollogical (spell?) thing going on because it changes my identity to being a slim person and I find that a little scary.

I love brussel sprouts covered with melted down cheese. My Dmom made it by adding some milk to the cheese then just pouring it over the warm sprouts.

Last edited by Jylly; 10-08-2010 at 12:47 PM..
Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

FF...So sorry to hear about your hewman mother.

That is the thing about hewmans, huh. They're mortal.
I'm glad to hear that it seems your bro is, if not supportive, is at least accepting of your WOE. Having gone through my mother's illness and then death a few years back, I know how crucial it is to have supportive siblings. I hope you two can come together over this tough situation.

llm...woah, I soo could have written your post. I can very much identify with your issues. I'll wait til Tues. to write you back.

Jylly...Thwack!!!

tony...thank you for the mama compliment. I'm trying!
Hope golf with your offspring is enjoyable. The weather here is incredible...here's hoping it is for you as well.

jenny...thank you for the recipe! Sounds delish. As for kale, when DS was tiny he would eat greens like kale, but no more. Now, I sneak them (and chard and spinach and avocado, etc.) into smoothies. He's none the wiser...only healthier, I hope.

Teresa...Hop back on! It's never too late!

Maggie...glad the bread is gone. My son has cookies in the kitchen that are taunting me! Give me strength!!

Food: On plan, but kinda junky today. (i.e. bologna)
Exercise: At least that was good. Walked for an hour!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
If I may, I'd like to join your challenge. I've enjoyed reading your thread. I confess that I followed MAgieDen over here from another thread because her 1/1/11 goal is the same as mine was at the start of this year -- and I am wondering if I could still make it. I am also participating in the 30 in 4 PG Challenge (see my sig for a link -- though it moves so fast I can't seem to keep that up to date). My current weight (& Oct. 1st weight as well) is 237, and my "current waist" (my fave measurement) is -14 inches since starting low carb.

Between my stats in the sidebar and my sig line, you have most of my story. I don't eat sugar/grains/dairy, and rarely eat fruit. I eat mostly whole foods -- meat/eggs/fish and vegies, with occasional nuts/seeds or dark choc as treats. I am an intermittent faster of the Fast5 variety, and occasionally do a water fast -- but the water fasting is not for weight loss. I feel it puts me back in touch with my body and is healing. (If anyone is interested, we're trying a fast-of-your-choice -- water, raw vegies, whatever -- on Tuesdays in October on the Make It Fast board.)

Mama, I have mostly given up sweeteners. When I do use them, I prefer liquid Cyclamates, rather than Splenda, Stevia, etc. What probably helped me most with getting off them was getting out of some habits in which they were involved -- e.g., protein shakes, sugar-free candies, LC "treats" (Atkins bars, etc.), diet sodas. Now about the only time I use them is with TOM when I would kill for chocolate. I make chocolate "muffins" (flour-free) with a little sweetener, or use unsweetened baker's chocolate with other ingredients, including a little sweetener. But that's about it. I've otherwise given them up. I do feel as if it has radically decreased my desire for sweet foods, if that helps.

My challenge goals are:
1)-Stick with LC whole foods -- even in the face of my birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and the never-ending Christmas season -- through New Year
2)-Do resistance training 2-3x/week
3)-Take a long walk of 2+ miles at least once a week. (Still walking with a cane from an injury and hoping to get off it by the end of the year.)
4)-Shoot for Onderland, or as close to it as my body will come, by 1/1/11
Wt Loss in 2009: 18 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2010: 42 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2011: 6.5 lbs.
Inches lost around waist: 15
Hit 100-Pounds-Lost Mark on 7/22/10
Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
And remember that the scale is a guide, not a God. FF
I need to always remember this, thank you!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCShadows View Post
If I may, I'd like to join your challenge. I've enjoyed reading your thread. I confess that I followed MAgieDen over here from another thread because her 1/1/11 goal is the same as mine was at the start of this year -- and I am wondering if I could still make it. I am also participating in the 30 in 4 PG Challenge (see my sig for a link -- though it moves so fast I can't seem to keep that up to date). My current weight (& Oct. 1st weight as well) is 237, and my "current waist" (my fave measurement) is -14 inches since starting low carb.

Between my stats in the sidebar and my sig line, you have most of my story. I don't eat sugar/grains/dairy, and rarely eat fruit. I eat mostly whole foods -- meat/eggs/fish and vegies, with occasional nuts/seeds or dark choc as treats. I am an intermittent faster of the Fast5 variety, and occasionally do a water fast -- but the water fasting is not for weight loss. I feel it puts me back in touch with my body and is healing. (If anyone is interested, we're trying a fast-of-your-choice -- water, raw vegies, whatever -- on Tuesdays in October on the Make It Fast board.)

Mama, I have mostly given up sweeteners. When I do use them, I prefer liquid Cyclamates, rather than Splenda, Stevia, etc. What probably helped me most with getting off them was getting out of some habits in which they were involved -- e.g., protein shakes, sugar-free candies, LC "treats" (Atkins bars, etc.), diet sodas. Now about the only time I use them is with TOM when I would kill for chocolate. I make chocolate "muffins" (flour-free) with a little sweetener, or use unsweetened baker's chocolate with other ingredients, including a little sweetener. But that's about it. I've otherwise given them up. I do feel as if it has radically decreased my desire for sweet foods, if that helps.

My challenge goals are:
1)-Stick with LC whole foods -- even in the face of my birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and the never-ending Christmas season -- through New Year
2)-Do resistance training 2-3x/week
3)-Take a long walk of 2+ miles at least once a week. (Still walking with a cane from an injury and hoping to get off it by the end of the year.)
4)-Shoot for Onderland, or as close to it as my body will come, by 1/1/11
ONEDERland here we come!
Closed Thread