Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #751
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
ph, ncgirl...i wish i could share my lc cheesecake with u.

u could literally have your cake, and eat it too & STILL stay on plan. Hard to believe, but i have been in possession of 4 portions of cheesecake, since early Sunday morning, (the other 4 belong to Cleopatra in my office. She is a WW leader. each portion is only 3 WW points) The best i can do is to think of u and all of our Blitzers while I am savoring it. If trying to lose during this tough time is not practical, perhaps you could plan to just not gain, OR allow yourself just 1 or 2 lbs. My strategy was and is to up my FRANKENFOODS a tad through Dec. 25 only. Whatever u decide, do it in advance of Christmas dinner. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 03:59 AM   #752

i meant OH, not ph.

when will i learn to proof read? FF
Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #753

the age of miracles is still with us!!!

I began portion #1 at 7:39 a.m. EST. It is now 8:03, and I still have a few small bites to go. My record to date is 16 minutes. will wonders never cease??? FF
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #754

8:06a.m. EST. It is finished.

27 minutes. call the NY Times, Reuters. My greatest accomplishment of 2010. If i had tear glands, I would be getting misty about now. FF
Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
lol, ff, you are a riot...congrats - i've already called guinness...

ncgirl, i am a songwriter - i'm in nashville about once a month to co-write... :-) btw, if you're only up 1 lb. you are putting me to shame, kid...so just try to limit the damage...

survived yesterday - did okay...getting a bit better everyday...

will try for a great day today...
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #756

at the risk of repeating myself...THINK

what it was that caused any of us to deviate from plan. How can we replace that (those)food(s) with something just as yummy, liquid or solid, that won't do us in? perhaps it is inevitable. if that is the case let us try to MINIMIZE the damage, or just plan either, to stay the same, gain a few, or let the good times roll, and deal with it after Christmas. I wish i could choose Door #3. I've got too much at stake to risk it. But...whatever your decision, PLAN IT(poor Pluto could not, and is no longer a PLAN IT)ahead. FF
Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #757
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm here and sorry to say I'm up four pounds also! I really didn't do that poorly either, I think I just ate too much and more carbs than I'm used too, even though I was making low carb choices...

I also drank red wine and dry champagne, maybe my body doesn't do so well with that stuff either and makes me retain water. I know it's water because I couldn't have eaten enough to gain 4lbs in 4 days but I still have to get it off and it will take a few days of very clean and little eating and then Christmas will be here!

I know exactly how you feel Tony about wishing New Years was already here--I just want to get there without having put any "real" lbs on, get the water weight off and then stay on track for the 7 weeks until I get to Hawaii. I have alot of "socializing" to do between now and then though...
Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #758

it is important to remember....

until the alcohol is burned off, nothing else will be metabolized. alcohol is numero uno in the metabolic pecking order for carbon based units. that puts the burning of carbs & fats on hold. Ergo, it is not just water weight, if at all. Also, alcohol reduces inhibitions and judgement. You may not be as prudent with your food choices, with a buzz on. I love my booze more than I used to. but I limit it to 1 glass of wine at TG & Xmas dinner, until i reach phase III. FF
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 188.6/187.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 10/19/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
until the alcohol is burned off, nothing else will be metabolized. alcohol is numero uno in the metabolic pecking order for carbon based units. that puts the burning of carbs & fats on hold. Ergo, it is not just water weight, if at all. Also, alcohol reduces inhibitions and judgement. You may not be as prudent with your food choices, with a buzz on. I love my booze more than I used to. but I limit it to 1 glass of wine at TG & Xmas dinner, until i reach phase III. FF
Speaking of, I did have a glass of red wine last night. It was a NC brand and the flavor was Christmas Eve....smacking lips here thinking about it.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #760
Major LCF Poster!

jenny, it's so funny...way more often than not, whatever is going on with you is going on with me - only you do better :-) we just gotta do our best, and as ff says, try to limit the damage so that when we get to new years, we won't be spending 6 weeks getting back to where we were in december...

had a pretty good start to today:
b: hb egg
l: tuna salad
s: 6 pistachios
d: bacon cheeseburger - no bun

then a piece of my son's birthday cake...and a little more grazing i could have done without...

tomorrow's official weigh-in and i'm expecting 215-216 which is a disaster...i'm just gonna muster up all the strength i can until new year's and then do what i have to til spring...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #761

feeling very serene this morning.

last night, while i was doing housework (finally), i was also watching a performance of Bach's Weinachts Oratorium (Christmas Oratorio), from Weimar, Germany, with the original instruments used in Bach's time. Tonight, on the radio, is Handel's Messiah. I actually forgot about food. After dinner, 10 Chinese ribs (no bbq sauce, natch), I made not one visit to the kitchen, except for the Seinfeld official beveridge-SNAPPLE (diet peach). I get a free one with every $20.00 purchase at the GREAT WALL chinese take out. My place is STARTING to look decent again. My podiatrist threw a little Christmas shindig yesterday. I came, but for my foot, not for the food (of which there was precious little left). I did get a free T shirt which says DOC MIKE on it. It is x-L, 3 Xs less than what I can wear now. But i imagine it will fit by next Christmas. Truly, i wish I could stay home and listen to classical Christmas music all weekend long, and drink my amaretto flavored coffee. but alas, the forms must be observed. I am going to ask my brother to take me home Sat, instead of Sunday. Snow is predicted for Sunday, and i don't want him driving back and forth in the snow. I am a good little troll. So, enough jibber-jabber, and tell FF about what your Christmas eve and Christmas day plans are. Enquiring trolls need to know. FF
Old 12-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #762
Major LCF Poster!

well, i'm happy you are relaxed and serene, ff - you deserve it as you are finishing the year strong and on a high note...

i. on the other hand, am trying not to finish with as big a whimper as i have demonstrated this week...to call it a disaster, would be putting it mildly...

i weighed in at 216 this morning - 3 lbs. more than yesterday and 6 lbs up for the week...i'm sure some of it is water, but some of it has to be fat...i am angry at myself...i was firmly at 210 for 2 weeks and let it slip away...

i'm just gonna put my head down and see how much i can lose by new year's...i deserve to eat nothing but lettuce for christmas dinner :-)
Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #763

weigh-in is at high noon EST.

except for a slip on Sunday, i was very much on the money, and I had unused WW points for 6 out of the 7 days. I would, at least like to drop the 0.7 lb gain from last week. I have sincerely given up the expectation of under 300 by year end (but i will not refuse generosity from the Gods). i still believe that it is feasable for jan 8 Dr. visit. It would be quite a psychological feather in my cap. So, tell me what u WILL BE DOING for Xmas. FF
Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #764
Senior LCF Member

I'm hosting at my house Christmas Eve and Christmas Day--will fix lamb chops, green beans, salad and low carb peppermint ice cream for dessert for Christmas Eve and have a brunch Christmas Day including ham and low carb bread pudding. My problem will be not over eating and keeping the drinking down, I won't have any problem eating on plan.

We leave the day after Christmas to visit my husbands family for three days. We're flying and won't have a car when we are there so I will be totally at the mercy of their menus. They usually have a roast beef dinner though so I will have at least one good meal. I've managed to stay on plan before visiting so I think I will be okay...
Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #765

it is for situations like these, jfinchster,

that ATKINS bars were created. carry 1 or 2 in your purse, AND/OR pre-measure 1 oz portions of nuts, and carry those in your purse. This will help u take the edge off, thus preventing you from going off the deep end, when u do see food again. The Gods were gracious. I dropped 2.4 lbs this past week. Sunday's indulgence left no scars. So, at 306 lbs, I am 6.1 lbs away from TWO-DORLAND. FF.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #766
Major LCF Poster!

congrats ff, that is AWESOME!!!...you are so so close to 2derland...i'm so happy for you...

jenny, good luck over christmas...i'm betting you'll do fine...why?...because i'm gonna do fine and we are twins :-)

we are hosting christmas eve and christmas day, so i'll be able to control the food choices...i have already warned my sister about bringing any more sweets and carbs...my house is still full of them!...

i've had such a rough week, i'm not making any bold predictions - i guess i will learn something about myself over the next 10 days...and hope it's good news :-) i'm gonna do my best to undo what i've done...

i'll check back later...
Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #767

i will be a guest at someone else's house.

ergo, i will not be MASTER OF MY DOMAIN. I am sure i will do well. they know me there. I refuse to deviate from plan. I am bringing 2 tiramsus, 1 for me, and 1 for everyone to have a taste of they so desire. However, there will be plenty of regular cookies, cakes and VOTNOT. I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. See y'all back on Monday. FF
Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #768
Major LCF Poster!

merry christmas, ff...hope you have a great weekend with your brother...it would make your mom happy to know you are continuing your family traditions... :-)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #769
Senior LCF Member

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I have wrapped just about my last present, got all my food shopping done and am even almost done with the major cooking. Looking forward to some magical Christmas Time with my just turned 6 year old daughter--she is very much in the Christmas Spirit and it's a joy to be around, especially since the "Santa will bring you more presents if you're nice to mommy" one is working like a charm!

I will really focus on not eating or drinking (wine, etc.) too much--I don't feel good when I do that anyways, so if I keep that forefront in my mind I should be fine. Plus, I would really like to minimize the damage to undo come Jan. 1st!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #770
Major LCF Poster!

We are having Christmas day at our house and hubby's parents will be coming up to visit for a few hours later that day. On Sunday we are headed to SC to visit my sister and her family for the day then back home. I always love, love, love, Christmas but at the same time my son who is 16 always goes to visit his dad for a week after so then it is a little sad bc I miss him. I know, he is a teenager but I can still miss my son. Especially for a week. He will have fun though and I have plenty of transcription to do to keep me busy. The law enforcement transcription is pretty interesting and it is a new project so I have a lot of work for next week. They are calling for a lot of snow here on Christmas day so hopefully it will be a Winter Wonderland on Christmas day!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

hi guys...i had a much better day yesterday and am feeling stronger today...today is workout day, so that will help...

i feel so poorly when i eat too much or eat off plan - and i've felt that way all week - hopefully i can draw on that bad feeling to limit the damage the rest of the season...

jenny, i remember how cute my kids were at 6 - magical time for sure...they are still cute - it just gets better over the years...merry christmas!...

ncgirl, i can imagine how tough it is to miss your son for the week...my youngest is 15 and i miss him during the day!...have fun traveling and have a great holiday!!!

i'll be around at least through the weekend and will check in regularly...next week, i scheduled myself and the kids off - not sure what we'll do...if we stick around, which is likely, we may go in for a day or two...the five of them are home and it should be a great week...

have a great christmas eve everyone - hope santa is good to you!...
tony
Old 12-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #772
Major LCF Poster!

well, i was happy after climbing on the scale this morning and seeing 212...must have dropped 4 lbs. of water since yesterday and feel much better...i'm starting to think of carbs as great-tasting poison for my body, since i feel so much worse when i eat them...same with salty foods...

i guess it's a testament to how much my body chemistry has changed for the better that my old "normal" now feels horrible...

i'm only two pounds over my 3-blitz-low this morning, and there's some hope i can get to the end of the year within striking distance of that low again...

good luck to all!...

p.s. would love to hear from kbeth and mama and marilee and vicki and others who haven't been around for awhile...happy holidays to all of you...i'm thinking about ya :-)
Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Proud of myself...my son and I went to our favorite pizza place for lunch and I ordered a slice of deep dish pizza which is about the size of two or three pieces. Normally I would have demolished about half of it but this time I pulled back the top of it and just ate the good meat/cheese parts. I was still very full and it was good!!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #774
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
That's awesome, NCGirl! WTG! You have amazing and mysterious powers. Pizza is such a danger zone for so many of us.

Tony and NCGirl, writer here, too.

I don't know about y'all and being in charge of your domains. I'm hosting Christmas,too, but in my experience people bring whatever they want, no matter what you are serving. I am serving a nice mostly LC meal, with two LC desserts (plus grapes and cheese for those who prefer) -- and that is not in the slightest keeping people from bringing homemade bread, lasagna or my favorite fudge, all of which I have been warned is coming. I must be doing something wrong with this whole master of the domain thing...

Jenny, good luck with the rellies. In addition to the Atkins bars FF recommends, I'm really big on taking nuts when I travel. You can even plop them down in a pretty bowl at someone else's party and they never seem to mind. Portable, non-perishable and no one thinks you're odd for eating 'em.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #775
Major LCF Poster!

hey shadows, i suffered this week as a result of my weakness and the globs of off-plan foods my siblings brought to my house last weekend, so i'm definitely not a master of anything right now... :-)

had my sister over tonight for an xmas eve party and i did sooooo much better...feeling crappy really has helped get me back on track...tomorrow is prime rib and veggies...i may actually survive christmas!...

nc, girl - great job on the pizza - you're doing great!...

merry christmas eve, all!
Old 12-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

merry christmas!!!...

thanks to all of you, there's a lot less of me to celebrate this year!...hopefully, by this time next year, i will be at my goal and well into maintenance... :-)

but don't get your hopes up - i'm still gonna be hanging in here until all of us get to goal and beyond...

love y'all...have a great day!
tony
Old 12-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #777
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
Merry Christmas!

to all those celebrating! and happy saturday to all those not!

we've had a wonderful christmastime so far. started at a friend's for christmas eve where santa paid a visit. my 2 almost 2 year old talked about "claus" the whole way home. i think my dad will dress up as santa today, so she will get to see another santa. it's been about that stuff so much more than the food this year, thank goodness. it leaves me weighing less, regetting less, and enjoying more.

by the way, LCSHADOWS, i tried your chocolate peanut butter fudge - SO GOOD! i have some prepared for dessert time tonight at my parents. it's great for when you want something sweet and creamy (and non-dairy). you're right, mine is more like candy chocolate. love them both! good luck being the master of your domain tonight!

oh, and welcome, NC GIRL! so glad you're here.

hope you are all having a joyous, peaceful day.
much love,
mama
Old 12-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #778
Major LCF Poster!

hey mama, great to see you and thanks for sharing the story of that cutie pie...i do miss those days... :-)

happy to hear you are doing well...after a pretty disastrous pre-christmas week, i'm doing much better...was holding steady at 212 yesterday and i will be very happy if i can limit the holiday damage to 2 lbs. gained by the end of the year...

i ate very moderately yesterday and all on plan...the prime rib was the best i've ever made - so so tender...must have just been a great cut of meat...the table was covered in sweets that didn't even tempt me - all i had to do was to think of how poorly i felt all week...

hope everyone had a great day...one more week and we're out of this difficult period...i have high hopes for the next blitz!!!...hope y'all will be continuing on in 2011 :-)
Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

Well I ended up gainining a total of three pounds over the holidays....grrrr!! Live and learn. I did get the Zumba Total Transformation set for Christmas...I plan to do this about 45 minutes a day. I loved it when I went to the Y but quit going b/c of $$$. I told the hubby and kids I wanted things for my health this year. Also while at my sister's house yesterday, they have the Wii and we did Dance Central. OMG, talk about a serious work out!!! Have my eye on that or an XBOX Kinnect. Will see how my son's does for workouts when he gets back. Either way, these three pounds are coming off ASAP. My goal is 40 in 40 this year. I will be 40 in August so plan to lose 40 pounds by then for my birthday.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #780
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Reality check. I stepped on the scale today, see stats. Today is a new day and a new beginning.
Closed Thread