Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #661
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
see ya then, brother... :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #662
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
to rhyme with Walk. It is nothing other than Brooklynese for PORK. FF
You know, I kind of thought that was it but wanted to check just to make sure

Tony - you are not the neediest - I AM Both you and ff are rocks to me and I so appreciate you!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
...did you see that thing on the news today?...said that they did a study and found that folks who imagined eating what they were craving, rather than actually eating it, consumed 50% fewer calories...i'm gonna have to look up that study...don't think my taste buds are that easy to trick!

I believe it! I find that I do that - it's an overcompensation weird mind thing. They say it's better to have a little of what you crave than not have anything. Whatever
Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #664
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi marilee, happy if having us around helps you at all, especially considering how much having you guys around is helping me :-)

btw, can you describe how you imagine you are eating something you crave?...i didn't quite understand what they were saying on the news...thanks...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #665
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Ughh! I just wrote out a big long post and lost it--that's the first time this has happened to me but it's frustrating. I'm too tired to write it out again but the gist of it is: I've been doing well, lost a couple more pounds this week and am down 24 since the beginning of Sept.--been busy and will try to post more. Gotta go for now, but just wanted to say Hi to everyone and keep on keeping on!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #666
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, jenny - stay busy cuz it's sure working!!!...

you are losing almost 2 lbs. per week?!...you're gonna be the hottest thing on that lava beach in february!...if u send me a pic of you in your bikini, it might really inspire me

i'm so proud of you///
Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Well, I can pretty much guarantee you I won't be wearing a bikini but I'll be looking pretty good in my tankini and feeling alot more comfortable in my skin.

Today, I'm going to make some lowcarb "snowball' cookies to put in the freezer for a low carb christmas treat. We're also going to put up our christmas tree which should be fun!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
checkin in

hi everone,
just read through some posts. sounds like everone is doing well. i'm so glad. jenny, 24 pounds since the beginning of sept - that's awesome!

food has been pretty good. life has been pretty busy. it is a good combo. the biggest thing on my mind currently is money. i still want to be home with my little one during the day, but was thinking about possibly waitressing a few nights a week, somehting i haven't done since college and something i hated, but...if i'm going to leave myfamily at night it's got to be for somehing that [pays enough to warrant it. waitressing is the most money i can think of, that is legal and not against my strict moral code. haha. will keep you posted.

off to make some chocolate. i too am having mroe LC treats at hand during the season of parties and food.

later all!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #669
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey mama,
happy to hear you are doing well...great to see you - missed your witty banter and that little cutie's smile...btw, i think strict moral codes are way overrated

jenny,
i'm gonna need that LC snowball cookie recipe...and that tankini photo
Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ate great all day yesterday and then way more than i should have last night...all on plan but too much of everything...kids picked up take-out and i was hungry, so.....scale said 213 this morning, and although some of that is fluid, i now have some deprivation to endure...

back on the horse today - hb egg for breakfast and cheese stick for lunch and i'm planning a shrimp and veggie stir-fry for tonight...i want to be at 209 by thursday, so i will be behaving VERY well for the next four days...

hope you are all having a great weekend... :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #671
Senior LCF Member

I ate too much last night too Tony--went out with family after picking out christmas tree--had a side salad and a burger wrapped in lettuce instead of bun but just ate more food than I probably needed and the scale was up this morning 2 lbs.

I find it to be frustrating that if I slip once (not even eating high carb food) I pay, but I know the pounds will drop off in the next couple days...sigh...just had to complain. I am feeling myself losing some of my momentum and need to stay focused through the holidays.

So far today have had some sausage 1.5 pieces and some a little cream in my coffee.
Not sure what lunch will be, but planning to split a rib eye steak 3 ways with my daughter and hubby tonight with some shrimp and salad.

I'm going to try and drink a ton of water today...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #672
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i know what you mean, jenny...i think we are very much alike when it comes to food...when i do well for a while, i seem to lose momentum too...just when i could deliver a knockout punch, i back off...not sure why, but i think it's good that we are aware of this weakness and that we both understand we will lose what we gain pretty quickly, if we get back to our routine...

did better today and tonight...ate about half of what i did last night...not easy though and i've got a lot of "evening" ahead of me... :-)

enjoy that ribeye - my favorite cut!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #673
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi everyone...well, i'm still at 213, so whether it's fluid or me paying for my lack of willpower or both, i am up 3 pounds from where i was thursday and apparently staying there...i totally deserve that result...i had 209 in my cross-hairs and let it get away...

i've been back on track for the last two days but there's no way i lose 4 lbs in three days to hit my goal for the week...

there's a chance we may go to florida between christmas and new year's and if we do, i'm betting the increased exercise will help me reach a new low...we would rent a timeshare in a resort that has a kitchen, so i can still stay on plan...i could use a break, so i'm hoping this happens...

like jenny's hawaiian vacation, the thought of being around a lot of people in a pool is a good incentive to keep me focused for the next couple of weeks :-)
Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #674
Senior LCF Member

Hey Tony,
I feel your pain! For some reason I'm up 4lbs today from my low of last week--eeeekkkkk!...I ate some bacon yesterday but still! It's so discouraging--but I'm not going to let it beat me I will just have to be more determined--Today I've had some tunafish salad, for some reason I'm having a hard time getting my water in, but I'm going to try and change that today.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #675
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Hi, all! Reporting back from AWOL. No, I wasn't on an eating vacation -- I was working. Have been putting in insane hours and probably will be for the next week.

Marilee, re: LC snacks for work -- one thing that saved my life on induction was a "breakfast muffin" recipe I found in the induction menus board on this site. It basically has bacon, egg, cheese and HWC. The egg and HWC make the batter, and the others items are the flavoring ingredient. You can even leave out the HWC, because it is really the beaten egg that makes it turn into a muffin when baked. So you can basically combine the egg batter with anything you want -- not just cheese or bacon. You can put in vegies (I love it with mushrooms and sage, or spinach and feta) or just spice the egg batter (vanilla extract and cocoa powder, or cinammon and cloves are favorites -- adding a little baking powder helps them rise) or use sausage in small pieces instead of bacon. I've even substituted ground flax meal, AS and cinammon to make a more breadlike muffin. They are just infinitely adaptable. Once you make your first batch, you'll get tons of ideas for using them. You throw a few in a Tupperware container and tote them along to work. They are a great snack.

Tony and Jenny, sorry to hear the scale isn't being kind. Knowing y'all, I'm sure you'll have it off shortly.

FF, I am awed by your culinary adventurousness. I think experimenting on a wider scale might just be one of my new year's resolutions.

Mama, great idea keeping more LC snacks around at this time of year. I experimented with making hot cocoa with unsweetened almond milk. First batch, not so inspiring. Second batch, I cooked the almond milk down a bit first to thicken it. Muuuuucccchhh better. You're making chocolate? <perk> What kind of chocolate?

After the half-pound loss over Thanksgiving week, my scale has stayed stubbornly unmoved. Which is better than gaining. But I was really hoping to see a lower number by New Year's Day. Ah, well. It will move at its own pace, as I should know by now.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #676
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi jenny, try not to get discouraged...we'll get through this...remember what time of year this is - the toughest...let's try not to gain any more and maybe shave a couple of pounds between now and the end of the year and then hit blitz IV hard!... :-)

hey shadows, great to see ya, girl...you've been missed...happy you were just busy and not buried under a pile of donuts...if i disappear someday, you might want to look there for me...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 AM   #677
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
so glad to be back...but nearly blew it...

Sunday was raining hard. i was too laid back to go anywhere. did not do anything at home except wallow in bed, watching tv or listening to radio. My appetite was the ruler here. I was grazing, instead of regular meals, but writing down everything I ate, in terms of net carb grams and WW points. Around noonish, i called the local luncheonette, amd decided to order some non-plan food. However, there was some problem at the other end. I was on hold, and the noise of dishes, muffled talk etc, but no one came back to take my order. so, I hung up. an hour later, i called the great wall, and ordered my usual. However, after careful deliberation, i decided to have the small bag of crunchy noodles that goes with the soup (about 15 noodles in the bag-and 1st time since April 1). I decided that it was my reward for not having the 3 pieces of cake, and 3 scoops of ice cream, that would have accompanued a very high carb lunch (either pancakes or fried chicken, or both) I ate one large order of the ribs (no bbq sauce of course), the soup and the noodles. The 2nd order of ribs I had yesterday afternoon. I finished at about 2pm, and ate nothing else the rest of the day. When I got home from B& N yesterday, i had rib order #2. I felt i should have something for dinner (the 6 hr rule), so i had a cup of broth, and 1/2 of a 12 oz salmon filet, and 1 broccoli floret. I am having the other half for bkfst this a.m. with a broccoli floret. I also managed not to eat the whole loaf of low carb bread this weekend. Most of it is safe in the fridge at work now. I will not touch it today. I must hone my staying at home skills, as the staying at home weather has just begun. It is never a time to rest on my laurels, as disaster lurks so close, like Sarman on Frodo. As u can see, the Troll is not perfect,( merely infallible) FF
Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #678
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, for me it is a bit scary how close i am to a disaster every day - even when it doesn't seem like it is close...hearing stories like yours, ff, confirms that we all struggle with the same things and is comforting in one way and scary in another...that is why i think we need to stick together...

none of us are perfect, or even near perfect, but we all have the same long-term goal...if we commit to honesty, accountability and communication, we can support each other and lean on each other as needed...and i have no doubt that we will all reach our goal...

i had a better day yesterday...a few salty snacks have snuck their way back into my menu the last few nights...they contributed to my stall earlier this fall, and i felt much better without them...cut my consumption down to a few morsels yesterday and will avoid them completely today...it makes absolutely no sense to crave something that makes me feel poorly - go figure!

be back a bit later...hope everyone is having a great day!... :-)
Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
hey all,
ff, so glad you had some noodles instead of the carb-load! maybe not perfect, but infinitely better i think.

LCS, i LOVE my chocolates. they are no godiva, but they are LC and healthy and even my husband says they are really good "for sugar-free chocolate"
i take 1 T coconut oil and warm it in a glass rmaekin over the open part of the tea kettle.
add 1/2 T cocoa powder( or even better raw cacao powder) and a few drops stevia.
mix together well and pour into mold or very small dressing-sized tupperware container (i have a mold with tiny hearts that i like to use)
put in freezer. oil will harden in cold temp. rmove when solid and "pop" out of container.
they are so good and onl 1-2 net carbs, depending on what kind of cocoa/cacao powder used. the best think is i am satisfied with a very small (T oil) amount, whereas the "real" stuff starts a craving that makes me want to eat pounds and still leaves me unsatisfied.

let me know if you try it. i love spreading the healthy LC chocolate word!

have a great day everyone.
love,
mama
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #680

staying fairly sodium free for the rest of 2010.

it would be so encouraging to get below 300 before year's end. No bacon or sausage. My chinese dishes (except for the ribs)will be steamed. This will give me control over what goes into it. I will pay very careful attention to foods' sodium content. my 3 oz pack of wild alaskan smoked salmon (lox)is 990 mg of Na for the 3 oz pack. No more than 1 oz a day, and not till after Thursday weigh-in, for the period from Thurs afternoon thru Monday. No more days off (except legal holidays), and there will be a lot of running around, regardless of weather. So, there will be no sitting home and wallowing. The one unknown quantity is Xmas dinner at friends of my brother and sis-in-law, and her mom. But, there are very nice people and they know I have to keep on plan. Besides, i am getting them a nice gift set of Xmas cookies (from that very same bakery-but regular, not diet), and a nice bottle of table wine. They will not be offended at my caution at the table. The watchword is KEEP BUSY. We are in the last leg of Blitz III. Let us see what we can all accomplish in these last few weeks, w/o going hungry or enduring temptation from all the holiday treats others are enjoying. I wish we would hear from WS before the year is out. FF
Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #681
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ADAM!!!!... :-)
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Hey all,
I dropped off two of the four I put on and am staying strong today--it sure is a roller coaster ride sometimes and I think don't let those two pounds worry you, but then if I don't let it worry me I will say to myself don't let that glass of red wine worry you, and it all goes downhill from there.
Today have had some baked chix wings (two) and some cesear salad with smoked salmon--
tonight will have shortribs and spinach--
I'm really trying to drink alot of water--for some reason it's harder in the cold, rainy weather. Would rather have tea...but not as hydrating.

FF-I'm shocked to hear your story of calling up the diner for pancakes and fried chicken--but I'm glad it had a happy ending. Thanks for being honest with us, it helps me in a way to hear you struggle too, not that I like to think of you as struggling, but it makes me feel better if you know what I mean... Chinese food would always be my first choice for any meal low carb or not!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Mama, that sounds great. I have one of those little tupperware dressing containers, so that should be about the right size for a mold. I'll try it! It sounds more candy-like than my little choc experiments, and that would be a good thing.

I just got coconut oil for the first time last week and so far I really like it. It is hard at room temp, though, so it is hard to measure very precisely until you melt it. I have tried making SF peanut butter fudge (1 T coconut oil, 1 T cocoa powder, 2 T SF peanut butter or nut butter of your choice, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, AS to taste). I melted it together in a very flat small bowl in the microwave, mixed it well, smoothed it out and then put it in the fridge to harden. When it had, I cut it into 1-inch squares (as best I could). Really liked that.

My other try with coconut oil and chocolate was:
2 T coconut oil, 1 square unsweetened bakers chocolate, 1 T unsweetened dry shredded coconut, 1/2 tsp peppermint extract, AS to taste.
Again, nuke it, stir it together, smooth it into a bar-like shape and refrigerate. Then cut into small squares. I liked the texture but you tasted the peppermint much more than the coconut flakes, so it might be good to do them as two separate batches so you get the full flavor of each. These coconut oil concoctions have really been keeping me out of the holiday treats, and the friends I've fed them to have even liked them.

FF, do you have any hobbies you can do at home that are incompatible with eating? Like, ones that get your hands messy? Or keep your lap/hands full of project pieces? Or involve spreading stuff all over every flat surface so you can't set food out? (You know, like model railroads, jigsaw puzzles, crafts that have to dry...)

Tony, my near-brushes with disaster this season have all been pizza-related. Could a food be worse for me? Dairy makes me crave. I'm allergic to wheat. Commercial pizza sauce is full of sugar. And it's not like I associate pizza with the holidays or anything. But every time I turn the TV on, there are the commercials. My mailbox has new pizza coupons every day (not kidding). And they have been sending out for them at work. Last night, four different neighbors in my apt. complex got pizza delivered for dinner from four different companies. I swear, I am actually dreaming about the danged things.

Jenny, we cross-posted. Glad to hear the gain is dropping off!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

congrats, jenny...it is a big change of behavior for us not to spiral downward when we gain a few lbs...i'm proud of you :-) btw, congrats on the loss...

shadows, i love pizza too...we've had it a few times during these blitzes, but i just eat the toppings (maybe a bite of crust) but i wind up wasting so much dough, i feel guilty...

all this chocolate talk is making me hungry :-)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok, it's official - i'm having a tough week and it's happening at the worst possible time of year - just before the holiday gatherings and feasts...

don't know if it's because i was losing a pound a week so consistently for several in a row, but my body seems to want to gain back what i've lost...i know it's probably psychological but it feels so physiological!...i've been hungry all the time since last friday...have done very well during the day, which is saving me, but i'm grazing all night...

the scale said 211 this morning but i feel more like 215 - don't know how i'm only up a lb. since thursday, but i'm gonna try again today to get a grip...the eating has been mostly on-plan with a few salty snacks at the end of the night, but i'm eating way more than i require for maintenance...i'm throwing everything questionable in the trash this morning...gotta get it out of the house...

i felt so in control a few days ago, and luckily, i still feel like i know what to do to solve this...i'm only as bad or good as my last meal or snack...practice what i preach... :-)

anyway, i need a great day and night today...my body needs a cleansing day...wish me luck and thanks for listening!...love you guys...
Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #686

by no means is it psychological. it is purely biological.

feed on fat. try avoiding sugar alcohols, which may be provoking or stimulating your appetite. consume some classic ATKINS foods like bacon cheeseburgers, chicken wings, hard boiled eggs with mayo (easy on the salt) etc. The trick is to eat them as slowly as possible. U must convince your body u are not trying to starve it. Try VLC for a day or two, or three, to force your body to burn its own fat, and release the ketones. That should put the kibosh on UNCONTROLLABLE APPETITE. FF
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #687
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 188.6/187.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 10/19/13
Marking my spot for the next Blitz to start....so basically this is just a three month challenge to stay committed to whatever our goals are...is that right?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #688

that's about it!!!

we support each other and are accountable to each other. that is how it is done. also, just to call in, say hi, let us know you're alive etc. FF
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ncgirl37
Stats: 188.6/187.4/140 5'7
Start Date: 10/19/13
Well, I'm alive and kicking today...thanks for the welcome!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #690
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hi ncgirl,
you've come to the right place for support and a non-judgmental atmosphere with a bunch of great people pulling for each other...

our leader for the first three blitzes has been ff, and although he wants me to practice setting up blitz IV so i know how to do it in case he gets hit by an ice cream truck in brooklyn next summer, he will always be our leader here... :-)

aside from ff, who has been pretty spectacular for 8 1/2 months, the rest of us are human and have had our triumphs and slips, but none of us have slipped back very far and we are all making steady progress...this fall, our resident overachiever has been jenny who has lost somewhere between 20-25 lbs. since the beginning of september...she's also a great cook...

i could not have done what i've done without all these great folks - ff and jenny and kbeth and mama and marilee and shadows and vicki and the many others who've been here with us over these almost 9 months!...

welcome and i hope you find what you need here just like i did :-)

Last edited by tony8; 12-15-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Closed Thread