Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #601
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
if u can do organic and free range... that's great.

i live in a small apartment, with a big rent. I cannot afford organic systematically. But, i would if i could. I keep the big rules, so I feel i can break the small ones. Have a great weekend all. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
congrats again, jenny!...i agree with you on whole foods and i choose organic foods whenever i can...kudos to all for doing the best you can... :-)

we're doing well, guys!

ff, see ya monday!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #603
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
jfinch, I am trying to eat organic etc. also. Pretty much started doing so last spring. I am not 100% but am getting there. You can use a clorox vegetable bath to get rid of pesticides etc. from regular fruits, vegetables and meats so you don't have to spend $$$ for organic ff.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Jenny, great job at getting off the T-day weight so quickly!

Vicki, I don't know what cheeseburger soup is but it sounds perfect for a cold winter night.

Marilee, be patient. Stay the course and it will move.

Mama, thanks for the link to TaDa's post. I was inspired and created my own version of it for 2010. She's right -- it looks much more impressive than it seems when you're watching your weight, holding your breath, day to day.

Tony, are you actually in Nashville? If so, I'm just on the other end of TN from you, in Western NC.

FF, running off the lobby to read you...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #605
Major LCF Poster!

hi shadows, i'm in nashville about once a month to write, but i live in nh and the show was at my store in mass... :-)

mama, thanks for that link!...awesome info that will really help me!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #606
Blabbermouth!!!

Cheers to you all, here is to a LC day. (I needed a lift, so here it is).
Old 12-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #607

at the bklyn public library

just called to say Hii. Next stop Wendys'. perfect weather latelt...cold and dry. Let us all stay on plan this weekend. see y'all monday. FF
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #608
Major LCF Poster!

hey everyone,
hope y'all are having a good weekend...mine has been crazy...meals have been sporadic...i hate being out of my routine, but i don't think i'm straying too much...

ff will be happy to hear that i've had about 3 sips of lite beer all weekend :-) friends leave tomorrow and it will be back to normal...but i'll miss 'em!

stay strong!

ff, so good to see you on the weekend - i'm pretty sure that's a first!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

hey guys,
haven't been near the scale in 2 days - hope it doesn't scare me to death tomorrow!...

gonna have to try to get in my workout later today as i missed it this morning...it's gonna take a couple of days to feel right again, i'm afraid...just totally out of my routine and haven't slept well either...

looking forward to the change back to normal...

hope everyone else is having a great weekend!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:04 AM   #610

adieu, Breyers carb control ice cream.

i finished it yesterday. It lasted 3 days shy of 3 weeks. I am very proud of myself. It (and any other ice cream i brought into the house) usually lasted 3 minutes shy of 3 hours. A very good product. I will probably wait until it goes on sale, before i buy it again. I already proved that i can deal with it in a mature and responsible way. During the holiday season, i will be deliberately increasing my sugar alcohol consumption, but not too dramatically. I am willing to accept that i WILL (not might)be spending some additional commode time thereby. However, I will scaling back just as dramatically, on Jan. 1. SATURDAY EVENINGS, I am declaring STEAK NIGHT(assuming, I can get one that meets (meats?)my parameters which are: at least 1" to 1 1/2" thick" and weighs at least 1 lb boneless, and a little more bone in. I was scanning through earlier Blitz III entries. Around 10/4/10, i said that I was gonna use my WW exercise video. I almost did that yesterday, but I got distracted. I did, however do more walking than I have done in quite a while. Not all at once, to be sure. BJs was a dissappointment, pricewise. I will check out costco in 2011. Meanwhile, I will use my free temp membership until it expires. I brought 3 items to the checkout counter. However, they have no bags, and I did not bring my own. so, I bought nothing except a small coffee while waiting for my transportation. Next time, i will be prepared. I did get to do about an hour worth of walking there. I love big spaces. More later. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #611

very happy Tony 8, about your restraint of the beer.

it was a 2nd, actually, not a first (posting on a weekend). this is a holiday season. There is no reason, why we cannot have our cake and eat it too. but, it has be be pre-calculated endulgences, not on the spur of the moment, "oh what the hell, i'll diet tomorrow" sort of endulgences. For the sake of transportation logistics, I switched to BK on Sat., instead of Wendys. I had 1 single Whooper with cheese, which had some tom, onion, and pickles. I used my Heinz reduced carb ketchup (about 1 tsp) and my own low carb toast from the TASTY PASTRY SHOPPE. I had a small side salad with 1/4 packet of Kens Creamy Caesar dressing & 1/2 oz walnuts (7 halves). I washed it down, and my vitamins with a small diet coke, not a large one. I made it last as long as possible. Then i analyzed how I felt. Well, it took the edge off. I am pleased to say that I walked for about 1/2 hour after that. I was also carrying about 10 lbs worth of stuff. By the time I got halfway, I felt satisfied. But, at the time I had my last bite, I felt I could easily have another of both. After 8 months, it is still not easy to be truly happy NOT being stuffed like a Xmas goose. Oh well, something more to work on. FF
Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #612
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, ff - since i don't enjoy drinking anyway, it wasn't too difficult...

great job on the ice cream and the walking - that's true change in habits at work!...

i agree 100% on being satisfied 20 minutes after eating...if we can find the discipline not to wolf down too much too quickly, we can cut down our food consumption and still feel full...all we have to do is eat slowly and wait 20 minutes before eating something else...and DRINK WATER!

well, the scale said 210 this morning, so if i can hold onto that until thursday, i'll hit my goal for the week...i guess i didn't do too much damage having company this weekend...
:-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #613
Blabbermouth!!!

WTG Tony, I hope you make your weekly goal.

OK gang, it is time for a taste of my own medicine. I had typed up about a 4 page document the summer of 09 detailing my wt loss success following a low carb lifestyle. It was quit inspirational, at least I think, ask Gibby because I sent it to her too.

I made a copy of it to reread because I desperately need to get back on track. My motto back then was the Nike "Just Do It" and I haven't. Another slogan I need to follow is to "Act as if". I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. And, bloated and clothes too tight, feeling fat etc. One thing I noticed too, is when I am eating crap and feeling like crap my psyche is affected too in all areas of my life. I get depressed and down. Plus, I don't treat others very nicely either. I also bite my nails and pick at my cuticles. Sounds dumb huh, that there would be that connection. But, whatever. Today is a white knuckle day as will the next few days as I relaunch this healthier lifestyle.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #614
Major LCF Poster!

today is the perfect day to start!

good for you, vicki!!!!!!...forget about what you did yesterday...that could be a motto after we slip...it's what's kept me on track like never before...

when you slip, and it will happen when you are on a journey this long and difficult - don't beat yourself up...just limit the damage to that one snack you craved, or one meal you really wanted or one day of feeling like a skinny person who could eat anything he/she wanted, or one month you stalled...get it?...stop the damage as soon as you are able and move on...

if you do that, and not let the slip affect your self-esteem and image of "who you are", you will get to where you want to be...the real problems start when we feel defeated, weak and broken, and start walking all the way back the way we came...

for me, part of the necessary commitment has been to post here every day i had access to a computer...even when i slipped...i made sure i had to "report" my behavior to someone, and that helped me limit the damage...it's why i am so grateful to you guys!...

so, congrats on being back on track...i have no doubt you can do it and don't look at this as day one...look at it as still the 975th or whatever day since you made up your mind to do this, with a few meandering strolls in between... :-)

Last edited by tony8; 12-06-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #615
Major LCF Poster!

hmmmm...where is everyone?...

hope you are all in a good frame of mind and up on the horse, charging forward...if not, and you need a boost to get back on, let us know - that's what we're here for :-)
Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #616

gonna try the following to help slow my eating....

for any food for which fingers would be inappropriate. I will, starting this evening, using chopsticks, and in my right hand (i am a lefty, but not politically). I am quite adept at chopsticks using my left hand. what will happen, is that eventually, i will become ambidextrous. but by that time, i may have learned to eat slowly. FF
Old 12-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
You're funny FF... I have actually tried using very small spoons and forks (my daughter's) and also small plates to serve food on (so it looks like you have more food)and that actually works too in helping one to feel satisfied.

Well I was out of town this weekend (visiting family) and did pretty well considering the circumstances--I ate a little bit of some things that it would have been better to pass up on but I didn't have alot of choices--next time I need to pack/plan more of my own food. I'm up a pound from when I left but I'm pretty certain that should drop off in the next couple days and then I should be looking at new numbers again. I had two people I hadn't seen for a while comment on my weightloss this weekend, which was encouraging.

Doing well so far today--nice to be home and more in control of what I'm eating!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #618
Major LCF Poster!

hi jenny!...congrats on limiting the damage over the weekend...it can be a real pain in the butt to have to pack your own food to travel...i think it's very reasonable to just do the best you can while away and then get a bit more strict when you get back home...if it costs you a few days and a pound or two, that's okay...again, this is a marathon...

ff, love the chopsticks idea... :-)

today was my son's 15th birthday - got him a guitar - he is in heaven...went to an italian restaurant and avoided the pasta...had some veal and some eggplant...delicious...
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #619
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
I've read most of what's been going on...so pleased for you folks that are really in the swing of things....and proud also of those of you "white knuckling it." I sooo get that when you are not eating well, you don't feel well, and it affects EVERYthing.

I have been giving myself too much leeway in the name of eating more carbs. Somehow the healthy carbs just aren't as appealing as the really crappy ones!
It is still a balancing act of having enough carbs to feel/function well, and not causing cravings. I am going to up the fat again and see if that doesn't help. And LCShadows, yes I'm going to segue into a more anti-inflammatory diet.

Sure is good to see y'all! Keep on keepin' on!!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #620

we will, kbeth.

sometimes it takes a lot of tweaking and manipulating to get it right. are u taking any vita-nutrients for anti-inflammatory needs? As for me, the cortisone shots i received in 2003 (jan and oct) in my right knee, seems to have worn off. I will be limping my way through the holiday season. I do not know if they will do it for a 3rd time. If not, I see total knee replacement in the not too distant future. I had taken glucosamine/chondroitin for 6 months prior to my left knee replacement. Nothing. But, i never took msm. Perhaps, the combination of the 3 might help. For Xmas dinner, i will be dining at some friends of my brother and his wife. But they know me. So, if they are serving some foods that are not on-plan, they will respect that i do not eat them. I am bringing them a bottle of wine, or champagne, and/or one of those gift baskets with the cheese, fruit etc. I will survive, and on my terms. FF
Old 12-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #621

what is the troll eating today?

bkfst: 1 oz wild alaskan smoked salmon, 2 T creamed cheese, 1 slice thin tomato, and the outer circles of an onion slice so thin, that u can see the electrons spinning around the nuclei. All of that wedged inside of 1/2 of a low carb pita. Total 5gr net carbs. Lunch: My last of the 4 chicken bosoms. Dinner, shimp over the Dreamfields pasta, which i did not make yesterday due to the lateness of the hour. FF
Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #622
Major LCF Poster!

hi kbeth, so good to see you girl...i know what you mean about the bad carbs...you'll find the right balance - just keep tweaking... :-)

my stall coincided with my increase in carbs even though i thought they were healthy - i was eating a bowl of whole grain cereal with healthy fruit almost nightly and i couldn't afford the stall since i am so far away from goal...

i'm feeling pretty good - had a good day yesterday - very low carb and low cal during the day with a bit more food than usual at night and i did have a sliver of my son's birthday cake...he gets sad if he thinks i am denying myself a little cheat once in a while and i wasn't gonna do that on his birthday...

if i can get to 210 on thursday, i will be ecstatic and if i can get to 209 the following week, it will be my first time in 200+ single digits in a very long time...i think the last time i was below 200 was 20 years ago, so you can estimate from there...

we're getting close to some special territory here :-)
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

ff, great menu, my boy...and sorry to hear about your knee...i'm trying to avoid the same thing with my hip...just take it easy, i use aspirin for its other health benefits, and hope as i lose more weight the reduction in strain will alleviate the symptoms enough to delay surgery...
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #624

don't wanto to take any meds that might sabotage weight loss

or interfere with those pharmaceuticals i am already taking. i will try the glucosamine/chondroitin/msm combo. perhaps i will derive some relief, but it takes months of it to work. not ready for more surgery just yet. nothing ventured, nothing gained. FF
Old 12-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #625

just reminded myself.

as i already had 1/2 of a low carb pita (3.5 grams), no DREAMFIELDS tonight. I will heat the shrimps in 2 oz Victoria marinara sauce, with lots of garlic, red pepper flakes and some oregano. That will yield 1 gram carb. As they are already cooked, it should take no more than 1 minute to heat through. When i do vlc, i do vlc. I will, in time, go through all the 4 phases of ATKINS, but for now, still vlc. FF
Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i'm very proud of you for showing such restraint...it has been decisions like this that have led to your amazing success these pasty 8+ months...

ff, i worried about those supplements raising my blood sugar levels - that's why i discontinued them...have you read anything about that?...
Old 12-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #627

i have taken gluc/chondroitin in the past...but not with msm,.

there was no glucose level increase, so long as i stayed on plan. I believe that applies to people following the typical 300 carb gram American diet, or perhaps the high carb/low fat diet. I also think I should lean toward the right so that it works on the right side of the body (tee hee hee) FF
Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #628
Major LCF Poster!

that's good to know - thanks!...if things don't improve, i may try it again...

yesterday's menu:
b: hb egg
l: hb egg
s: 5 cashews
d: turkey chili and stir-fry veggies
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #629

enjoying my breakfast with y'all.

my 4th portion of kraft xtra-sharp cheddar (2 oz). one more to go, which i will have on friday. This 10 oz package will have lasted at least 2 weeks. i only buy it when it is on sale. i confess, i am mesmerized by the red foil. I have a 2nd on deck. i bought 2. All the same even on sale, over $4.00 for a domestic cheese 10 oz is a bit high, no??? Did the cows organize themselves into a trade union? FF
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #630

it was so good!!!

tomorrow my transportation is taking me from work to thr PEKING KITCHEN(Ave M & E 18th St for those of u who may know Bklyn. USA). they make great sliced roast pork, and do not deliver to my neck of the woods. 2 large orders (12 pieces each)used to be 1 meal (just like the 2 large orders of ribs used to be) Now they will be 4-6 meals, instead of one. Also,I intend to walk home (about 45 minutes with strong headwind in my direction)Another sacred ritual which I call THE PORKWALK. If my rt foot hurts (and it will) then it will hurt. FF
Closed Thread