Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
nothing new here.

just glad my head is on straight, for the time being. Staying in the loop. I hope wherever WS is, he is having a great time; Clanger too. It is like losing family. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #32

doing something a little different lately.

i am putting the food where and when the food needs to be. At work, I do not feel the hunger pangs so much, because I am so busy. On my lunch & break times, I have y'all. So, i barely need anything more than a diet hot choc, 1 coffee, and water and/or green tea. I save my food for the evening meal. Last night, I had 4 cheeseburgers, 50% of the orig weight, as a lot of the fat (these were 80/20 burgers)dripped away. I had 2 thin slices of mozzarella, which i divided between the 4, plus my obbligatory Victoria marianara sauce (a scant Tblspn per burger) It was gooood. Tonight, i am making chicken- a whole cut-up chicken, which i would like it to last for 2 meals. I feel that making changes once in a while, might help prevent a plateau. In a week or so, I will move the food around again. At least, it keeps it interesting. FF
Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, i think that's a good idea...i don't know about you, but this is by far, the longest i have ever been on a plan...i broke my record a few months ago...and we have so much weight to lose that we are gonna be doing this for a long time to come - not to mention working to maintain...

so i think it is imperative to shake things up, spice things up, shuffle things around, etc. in order to remain focused and not slowly drift back into old habits out of boredom...remember, this was long-entrenched behavior that we are breaking - not easy...i applaud you for recognizing the need to keep things interesting!

today i decided i am eliminating all non-veggie and non-fruit carbs from my woe for two weeks...i have let whole grain tortilla chips, and whole grain cereals infiltrate my snack plan and between the carbs and salt, i think they are contributing to my stall...in any event, it can't hurt and it's only for two weeks...

my strength has been my will - once i commit to doing something, so far, i have followed through...my problem is when i give myself an inch, i take a mile...so i'm shutting bad habits down one at a time and then seeing the effect it has on my weight...then i will make another 2-week decision (which may be to extend the first restriction) - i feel this gives me shorter, achievable goals that i can undo without guilt if i find them too difficult to maintain...of course, making the condition that my healthy woe improves in some other way for the following two weeks...

hope everyone is having a great tuesday...i'll check in a bit later!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Went out to a fancy schmancy dinner last night. Had petit filet and broc. It was good, but honestly not worth the exhorbitant price. Ate about half of it (I love having left overs!) and avoided the beautiful desserts that everyone at the table ordered and shared. The only questionable part was a bearnaise sauce that came with it, and a cocktail I ordered. It was half price martini night...what could I do!? It was a bloodytini....basically a bloody mary, super spicy and really good. I had about half of it, and enjoyed having a cocktail with everyone. If it stalls me this week, tho, I'll know I can't do that while I'm trying to lose.

FF...It'll be interesting to see how your body reacts. I know alot of the VLC folks only eat once a day. All the fat they consume satiates them, and they lose at a nice pace.

tony...I'll bet you anything when you cut out grains you'll see a loss. When I'm maintaining I eat some whole grain this n that...but if I'm trying to lose, the scale will be at a standstill. There used to be a group (and might still be) called KISS keep it simple, sweety. They eat primarily meat, fat and veggies. That's kinda what I'm going for...it is for me the way to see the most consistent loss.
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #35

petit filet? sounds kind of small.

i once had a 4 oz steak at Applebees. When i got home, i had two large orders of chinese ribs (w/o bbq sauce), and a house special soup (comes in 1 size-quart). The only time I like seeing the word PETIT is when it is partnered with the word FOUR. (btw I learned yesterday on UNWRAPPED that FOUR is not a number, but French for oven). Besides, i could never limit myself to just 4, then or now. FF
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

kbeth, i'm sure you're right...i seem to feel better when i eat a small amount of whole grain, but over time my consumption creeps up to the point where i stop losing and start feeling worse - it's just not worth it...and obviously, i haven't conquered all my demons yet ;-) so the best thing to do is to cut them out and see what effect that has...

the good news is that my transgressions were limited to chips and cereal and didn't start spilling over into breads and other starches, so it won't be a dramatic thing to cut out...

btw, congratulations on having the willpower to skip dessert last night - that's a major victory - when you have the strength not to give in to everything you could, i think you earned a few sips of a bloodytini...lol...good for you, girl!...i bet that filet was good - they're usually small - how'd you manage not to eat all of it?...

i usually get the rib eye - love that marbling and fat...

ff, i think my whole weight problem stemmed from eating only once a day...for 20 years, i skipped breakfast and lunch - was too busy and trained my body so i never felt hungry...problem is that it led my body to go into starvation mode, so when i ate a lot at night, it retained a lot of those calories, knowing i was gonna starve it for another 24 hours...

i'm no expert, but i've read and been told by my doc and nutritionists that this woe is not healthy and feeds ailments like diabetes...i'd be interested to hear what others know about this...i've heard it is much more beneficial for both blood sugar regulation, metabolism etc. to eat small portions often during the day and early evening...

i am like you, and have to force myself to eat in the morning and during the day...obviously, what you are doing is working tremendously - so i'm wondering if my info is off-base...

Last edited by tony8; 10-05-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 200's/1st. Goal Wt: 199 lbs.
WOE: Low Carb My Way!
Start Date: Monday! :)
Hello I would to join your group. I am with some other challenges and they go through to the New Year. I can use all the support I can get and will give some as well! Have a good LC day!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey maggie,
of course, you're welcome to join us...the more, the merrier... :-)

if you'd read any of our thread, you know this is our third three-month blitz and we owe it all to our leader, ff, who cracks the whip and will not accept "i surrender" as an answer...

lots of love and support in here...i would have never made it this far without my great friends here...i've got a long way to go, so i hope you will stick around!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #39

i do concede that my TEMPORARY woe is not the wisest.

But the operative word here is temporary. And this does not apply to weekends. I am sure that by around Oct 21, i will be distributing my food a bit more evenly, but still allowing a great many calories for the evenings. Even though I usually hit the hay between 8 & 9 pm, the period between 4:30pm and beddie-bye still seems frightfully endless. Welcome to the new Blitzers. I only wish that Blitz I had been made a sticky. Catch Blitz II before it goes away for good. FF
Old 10-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i prefer to eat the same way you are eating now...i suspect that part of the reason i stalled during blitz II was because i was not eating enough during the day and it was leaving me hungry at night when i had access to way too much food...

you are better equipped to deal with this because you are using ww points to control your nighttime eating...in any case, it sounds like you have a great plan and it's working, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it... :-)

so, we have jenny on the west coast, and ff and i on the east coast - is everyone else from the midwest?...i seem to be the easternmost lcf-er here...don't know what that means...lol...
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Chicagoland here!

Welcome Maggie! Always good to have more folks along on this journey.

The scale is up a bit this AM. Wondering if it's the sodium from dinner out night before last. At any rate, I'll do a super clean meat, veggie, fat day with lots of water and walking.

Off to do a puzzle with the little guy. Have a great day!

B: chicken, broc, coconut oil
L: burger on salad
S: chicken and coconut oil
D: fish and veggies
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Michigan here! I am originally from California but hubby is a Michigander. Fall is upon us and we both enjoy the cooler temperatures as well as the beautiful fall colors. We just took a trip to the Upper Pennisula and spent some time hiking trails and crossing over to an island called Mackinaw Island.

Hope everyone is doing ok today, I am struggling a bit to stay the course because of raging hormones(sorry Tony I know that you are a guy and all) and can't wait for it to pass. I am up and down this week and would like to stay off the scale except that I have to weigh in with hubby at WW this saturday. I joinned with him to support him because he wanted to give it a try. I like to weigh every 2 weeks because of weight fluctuations and I can become discouraged when that scale doesn't budge. I am not a daily weigher(I would go batty if I did this). Oh well, I will take it one day at a time.

Sorry so chatty, how a good LC day everyone!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post

tony...I'll bet you anything when you cut out grains you'll see a loss. When I'm maintaining I eat some whole grain this n that...but if I'm trying to lose, the scale will be at a standstill. There used to be a group (and might still be) called KISS keep it simple, sweety. They eat primarily meat, fat and veggies. That's kinda what I'm going for...it is for me the way to see the most consistent loss.
I wished that hubby would give up the grains so I can stay sane!!!! I know for me that when we didn't have bread in the house I could get through my rough patches where I want to eat everything in sight. Not so when bread has come back in the house! He joinned WW(which for alot of people works wonders)and joinned him to support but I do LC and have been working on eating this way and know it works for me. I am feeling tempted quite a bit with the bread(it is my downfall)even though I know it keeps me in a brain fog and I always gain when I eat it. I am NOT that strong right now and would prefer for it to be out of the house and he eat it when going out or at work for that matter. He loves his starches and grains and is having a hard time giving them up. I do better with the KISS plan and do it off and on but would mostly like to stay on. Sorry I am so rambly, but my hormones have me batty right now. I think I need to talk to hubby and see if we can go back to removing the bread. I don't get this way with his brown rice, occasional Dreamfield's Pasta, I have no desire to eat these things. It's just the darnned bread! Arghhhhhh!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the hardest part of LC for me has always been the first few days to a week...after that, the cravings really diminish to almost nothing...i do like crunchy, salty snacks - that's my achilles heel, but i'm cutting them out for two weeks and probably more...bread is tough - it's good and it usually needs something high cal on top of it for best results :-)

asking hubby to get it out of the house or to hide it somewhere that you don't have access to, might help...has he ever tried LC?...i know for me, it is helpful to keep my weaknesses out of the house as much as possible... :-)

kbeth, i'm sure it's the salt...i never realized how much salt impacts short-term weigh-ins until i started weighing in daily...

maggie, i felt the same way you did about daily weigh-ins until i had a couple of bad weekly weigh-ins and that was even more discouraging because it encompassed a whole week's worth of dieting...i find that the daily weigh-ins hold me more accountable and if i have a disappointing day, i can buckle down for a day or two to make up for it...and it is encouraging to see how quickly the scale can go down again, so that one bad weigh-in doesn't stick with me for the next week or two...i still do an OFFICIAL weigh-in only once a week on thursday, so i have an incentive to make sure i get a good number on that day...

i'll check back later...great to see you guys!

Last edited by tony8; 10-06-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #45

call me PISHER. I caved.

There was no way i could get through the workday today, w/o a little something. So I am consuming a 5 oz can of solid white tuna (Starkist)with 2 T of mayo shmushed into it. It tastes like filet mignon. But, i put my low carb bread on the back burner, as I already had a low carb HC for bkst (5 gr incl the whipped cream (shoprite label). I feel better already. Chicken tonite. FF
Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
I totally blew my diet yesterday and I am soooo hungry today. Dsis and I celebrate our survival on a sunny day in October at the little cidar mill near me. These Amish ladies ladies bake donuts. I DID try to hold it down somewhat, I didn't have any cidar. I just had some water from home.

After my second surgery I was in really bad shape. I was so weak I could'nt even sit up. Dsis packed me into the car surrounded by pillows to hold me up and we went to the cidar mill. I only weighted about 80 lbs and my skin hung in folds like those starving kids on tv. Dsis would be in tears trying to get me to eat and those pumpkin donuts were the first food I actually wanted.

I couldn't get back on plan today either. So maybe tomorrow I will eat bacon and eggs three times tomorrow at restaurants. I'm going to buy a small notebook to write down what i'm eating. I keep forgetting. (senility or chemo-brain?)

Maggs I'm a Michigander too. Welcome

My big downfall is breads too.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I did great all day until dinner. I roasted a pan of green beans with olive oil and seasoned salt. Ate the entire pan by myself. They were way too oily and salty and crunchy and yummy. Although it'll just be water weight...I wish I would have not had a sodium fest the night before Weigh in. Must be craving salt here lately.

Jylly...sounds like a pumpkin donut was more than okay in this situation. What an anniversary to celebrate.
Now, to get control of the cravings so you can be as healthy as possible!

Maggie...hormones make this so tough!! I used to make cream cheese with pumpkin and stevia to just get through it. I tend to eat way too much of it, but I figure that's better than going off plan.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm really craving popcorn of all things--arrghh! I will drink a big glass of water. I haven't lost any this week but am staying true to plan. Not eating much during the day, been busy and not too hungry, trying not to over-eat at night.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes and replys. I talked to DH tonight and he has agreed to take the bread to work and store it in the fridge there for his occasional lunch sandwiches. At first he he said that we should just not buy it and bring it home but then I felt somewhat bad and went with Tony's sort of idea of hiding it and then said that maybe he could take it to work and that settled it. Like I said bread can really be a downfall for me so I am praying this helps me some. So thanx again everyone for your understanding and support.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
hi everyone,
i just read through your posts, which was great - informative and interesting. too tired to write much. just wanted to chec in. made i trhough my second day surrounded by bagels and desserts - ugh! only two more days of shiva to go. and i know my daughter's being there is really cheering up my father-in-law.

re. grains, i can not handle them! a little bi and i'm craving and then either binging or sitting onmy hands not to binge. i like the meat, veggies, fat idea for now and that is my ideal. (though i hope to be able to incorporatesome grains one day...) the one ting i overdo in my plan right now is cheese. if i have it in the fridge i want all of it, not four ounces a day. still, for the moment, as someone else said, it seems better having to much of this than WAY too much of something sweet.

hey, is there anyone here who deosn't use any sweeteners? i've been toying with the idea use stevia in coffee, tea, homemade chocolate, andsometimes cream cheese right now. but years ago, i didn't have any...hmm...don't want to give up that sweet sweet taste...just curious if anyone does his plan without any of the intense sweet?

well have a great thursay everyone!
love,
llm
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
kbeth,
how old is your puzzle-doing little one?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ff, i am happy you had the tuna - i'm pushing for you eating a bit more during the day... :-)

hey mama,
i don't use any sweeteners in my plan...no sugar or artificial - no bakery items...it may be easier for me because the only things i drink are water and unsweet iced green tea - no coffee or anything else...

jenny, funny, i crave popcorn sometimes too...love it air-popped with melted butter and grated parmesan cheese...but salty, carb snacks are a no-no for me for two weeks :-) i feel your pain, kid...but you're doing great!

hey maggie, happy you got the bread out of the house...that's gotta help, big time!...

jylly, i agree 100% with kbeth - you earned those donuts, girl...hope you enjoyed them!...

Last edited by tony8; 10-06-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Old 10-07-2010, 03:58 AM   #53

popcorn & bread...oh my!!!

i, too, have a severe weakness for them. I do not even keep LOW CARB BREAD
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #54

fat finger syndrome...oops, sorry.

I do not even keep LOW CARB BREAD in the house, because I know, in a weak moment, i will devour the whole loaf. I keep it safe in the fridge at work. I am a saint in public, questionable in private. My office colleagues pop the popcorn daily, in the afternoon. That is the time I usually break out my diet Swiss Miss HC. But, i have no more, for the time being. Today, i am having my tuna salad on low carb toast for bkfst, because, I have my WW meeting on my lunch hour. It is possible, MagieDen, to do low carb and WW. I use WW as means to control my eating mis-behaviors. However, I am strictly and unequivically ATKINS, as regards my food choices. I have finally been able to get my thyroid meds. If the scale shows an increase, that is fine. it is NOT my fault. I went almost 2 weeks w/o them. FF
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
I do not even keep LOW CARB BREAD in the house, because I know, in a weak moment, i will devour the whole loaf. I keep it safe in the fridge at work. I am a saint in public, questionable in private. My office colleagues pop the popcorn daily, in the afternoon. That is the time I usually break out my diet Swiss Miss HC. But, i have no more, for the time being. Today, i am having my tuna salad on low carb toast for bkfst, because, I have my WW meeting on my lunch hour. It is possible, MagieDen, to do low carb and WW. I use WW as means to control my eating mis-behaviors. However, I am strictly and unequivically ATKINS, as regards my food choices. I have finally been able to get my thyroid meds. If the scale shows an increase, that is fine. it is NOT my fault. I went almost 2 weeks w/o them. FF
Thank you for your response to WW. I do enjoy going to the meeting with hubby and we are both getting soooo much out of it. I guess when he decided we both should join together I had joinned to support him in somekind of program that would encourage him to make better food choices. I am on board pretty much but he wasn't. I didn't want to be a diet or food police in his life but I knew we both needed something. Two years ago I got on the LC bandwagon and was having success with the plan but got discouraged(how many times have we done that) and stopped LCing and working out. He at the time wasn't on board with me and than lead to my discouragement. I do know that you can't make people change but that they have to want to do it. He mentioned WW because we have a friend that has been doing well with it. I said sure but sometimes during our weigh in(which are Saturdays) I can get frustrated(especially TOTM) their is always a 1-3 lb higher number, I know I am not a number on the scale and I really need to get over it. It is just a sensitive time for me and I have to find better coping skills. I find that when I eat clean and track pts. I am fine, but that darnned bread during my weakness is a problem. Hubby was excited to do WW because he said he could eat whatever he wanted but is learning that if he wants to lose weight he needs to change some things. We are both learning how to have a better relationship with food so I guess I just need to chill and allow the learning to take place and cut myself some slack. Pheww, sorry for the long post. Good to know there are others doing WW with LC.

Have a wonderful LC day!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jylly
Stats: 157/142/130
WOE: lo carb
Start Date: November 2009
137.2 lbs is the bad news. I will be ignoring the weight and concentrating on what is going in my mouth all day today. kbeth the green beans sound so good, I may have them today. Love the crunchy salty taste.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey dude,
it's absolutely not your fault...no one should have to go without their medications...in addition to what you are accomplishing to improve your own life, i can tell you unequivocally that you are doing just as much to improve mine...and i'm betting the same thing is true of several other folks in here...

THANK YOU!

wonder why popcorn is such a magnet for all of us?...when we get to goal, maybe we should have a HUGE popcorn party! :-)
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jylly, you are soooo close to goal - don't sweat a couple of pounds one way or the other...i'd suggest using 140 as your ceiling and pat yourself on the back every time you weigh in below it, while trying to creep slowly toward the 130 you've set for yourself...that's what i've been doing with 220! :-)

maggie, we LOVE long posts, so don't apologize...sounds like you are very aware of the pitfalls and are honest with yourself - both important ingredients for success...when you find something that works, like it seems you and hubby have, ride it out for as long as it works for you...

like you, i have done this many times and ultimately failed and slipped back, but i decided in april that i had had enough and was gonna be fix myself once and for all...finding this forum was critical for me as i had always tried to do this alone in the past - being around these great people every day and feeling accountable to someone other than myself was exactly what i needed!...

today marks 6 months of blitzing for me! (i started 1 week after ff) yea!...

i'll be back with my weigh-in results in a bit...
Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #59

it is the aroma!!!

if lima beans and brussels sprouts smelled like movie popcorn, i would be addicted to them. Thanks for your responses. Suffice it to say that I would never counsel anyone to do anything that I myself have not done (and almost always with the greatest of difficulty. The obsession with the scale will be our ultimate undoing. I am MARCHING in today, expecting a gain. That is fine, because I know it is not my fault, but because I was almost 2 weeks w/o my thyroid meds. The point is: we are going to get to goal anyway, so what is the rush? It is better to focus on our plans, to make them as satisfying as possible 24/7, so that there is never a desire to deviate, ESPECIALLY HOLIDAYS. Take a look at the induction food porn thread, elsewhere on this board. check out Linda Sue's recipes, and countless other sources. Almost any NORMAL recipe can be tweeked to bring it to a low carb status. FF
Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Last Thursday: 139
Today: 138
I'll take it!

Be back later for longer post.

B: chicken and avocado, tsp. coconut oil
S: chicken