Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #541
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey jenny, congrats on surviving the worst of these holidays...after all we've been through, a few pounds is like dusting off a flea, isn't it?...we should be pretty well practiced at losing those few pounds - again~...lol...

the turkey soup sounds good - i almost did that and then looked at all the leftover turkey meat (we had a 26-lb. turkey for 9 people) and decided i'd better not or i'd be "gobbling" by monday :-)

another good day so far...i'm just trying to see a 213 on the scale before i see a 215...keep your fingers crossed!

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #542
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.8/336.0/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 7/29/2014
Hi all - just checking in.

Jenny, it looks like we had the same idea. I cut up my turkey into freezer bags for future eating and then boiled the carcas for soup, too. Since I don't make gravy, I had the drippings from cooking the bird in the refrigerator so I added that to the stock made from the bones. Now just to add vegetables and I'll be set. I love soup! I have a question, though. I know carrots have carbs in them, but they are so good in soup - will it kill me to put in two?

I'm back on plan today - so hopefully the 3 I gained will come off quickly.

Take care - TTL!

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Vicki!!!!

Marilee
Old 11-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #543
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Gibby, I have eaten carrots. I know others don't. I would throw them in. The carb count is minimal. Thanks for the Birthday wishes too.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I use them too!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

happy birthday vicki!...

i think the health benefits of carrots outweigh the carb detriments...but what the heck do i know???... :-)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #546
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, you know a lot!

Thanks for the input - I love carrots so I'll throw in a couple. It's a very big batch of soup so it shouldn't be too bad. Carrots, celery and onions should do the trick.

See you tomorrow!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

go for it, marilee...

for what it is worth, i think our weight loss and new woe is such a major project and long-term effort that it is unrealistic to think we can do this for the rest of our lives without indulging ourselves in the occasional carrot in our soup...come on guys - we are the same people who could eat 4 pieces of pie or half a bucket of fried chicken in the spring of THIS YEAR (for most of us) :-)

i think it is good and appropriate for us to be mindful of our peas and carrots, but if eating one of those little orange circles satisfies us enough to keep us away from the triangular orange doritos 99% of the time, we're gonna succeed!...

today is exercise day and i am patting myself on the back because since april there has not been a single week where i did not do my exercise routine at least three times...no matter what else i did, i did do that...it has helped immensely to rev up my metabolism, increase my lean body mass, and take off a few extra inches...it consists of a couple hundred reps with each arm using light weights and 200 ab crunches (i built up to that) on the floor...and some stretching...only takes about 10 minutes...not much of a cardio workout, but i do it quickly to give me some of that benefit...

my hip still limits me, but until the last few days when i was naughtier, my hip was beginning to feel better and when i lose the next few pounds AGAIN and more, i am optimistic it will improve again...our woe definitely helps with inflammation...so many benefits - we'll get the hang of this yet!

be back later...

Last edited by tony8; 11-28-2010 at 04:39 AM..
Old 11-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #548
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

just climbed on and off the digital scale ten times and it reads "211"...no way i've lost 3 lbs. since yesterday...i'm planning to have a very good day today and i see where i stand tomorrow...some days, this really is a roller coaster ride!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #549
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I was down 2lbs today too and I really didn't eat all that great yesterday--went out for mexican food last night and ate too much all low carb except a couple bites of refried bean from my daughter's plate...I was ready for the scale to be the same or up today...very strange indeed but I'm not complaining!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #550
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

jenny, that's weird, isn't it?...

i'm not complaining either, but it will suck if i'm back up to 214 tomorrow - i'd rather just have a slow, predictable up and down, rather than these wild 3-lb. swings that make no sense...

on the other hand, i guess the scale could have said 217 today (up 3 lbs.) - then i'd really be climbing out on a ledge!... :-)
Old 11-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #551
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
GREETINGS, BLITZ IIIers. the Troll is back!!!

I could not have eaten more austerely if i was Gandhi. There was no company, just the 4 of us...and the dogs. I had a delicious arugula salad, with my sis-in-law's vinagrette/garlic dressing (just enough to coat the salad, not drown it) 2 small turkey wings, a small slice of dark meat, 2 T of turkey gravy (no thickeners), a couple of broccoli florets..., 6 oz of sparkling wine (from italy) and that was all. Of course they had stuffing, and pasteles(also known as empenyadas), and ocean spray cranberry sauce. There was no bread or potatos in sight. They are trying to keep their weight as is. We watched Avatar afterward. It was too late to serve dessert. so, I had a late breakfast the next day at about 11a.m. which was the low carb TIRAMISU(3 gr C) WW puts 10 points for a typical portion. However, this was no more than 1/2 the size of the Tiramisu at
Fiorentino's in Bklyn, USA, and virtually carb free. It was not, however low fat. I will count it as 7 WW points. I had only had it once before. i had forgotten how rich and delicious it was. And, a cup of coffee with cream. Frankly it was pure heaven. I stayed satisfied until I got home, at about 4:30pm on Friday. There was no pressure on me to eat anything off plan "just for the holiday". They see i am serious about sticking to it. I even feel lighter today. Well, one down, one to go. I do hope everyone had a glorious TG. FF
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, ff, that is impressive!...this is why you remain our hero and leader... :-)

i'm thinking buffalo wings tonight...
Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #553
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

had a good day yesterday...i need a great mon, tue and wed as i am having some of my songwriting buddies from nashville up from thu to sun and that can be tricky...there's no way to avoid at least some alcohol, and they'll be staying with me so there will be plenty of food that they like...

my goal is 1 lb. again this week which will bring me back to the 213 i was a few weeks ago...my overall blitz goal of 209 seems within reach if i don't screw it up...some of you might remember that was my blitz II goal, so i'd still be a whole blitz behind!...

it will be interesting to see what the scale says today!

today's projected menu:
b: hb egg
l: turkey salad on a greens salad w/ olive oil and vinegar
s: ?
d: still thinkin' buffalo wings
Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #554
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Hi, all! I had a great Thanksgiving. You can read all the details here (so I don't spam all my favorite boards with it). Having houseguests to help with leftovers rocks! I must remember to keep importing people...

Tony, you're so right! This is a lifetime project. Progress, not perfection.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #555
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Been on a trip, had a birthday, hosted Thanksgiving for family and some young men from the Naval Academy...it's been fun, and exhausting! THRILLED that I have no big plans for a couple of weeks.
Not sure what's going on with my diet. For the last decade, Low Carb has been THE way to feel my very best. More energy, more clear thinking, less depression, less joint pain. In the year since I was finally diagnosed with autoimmune disease and have been on medication...that doesn't seem to be true. (with the exception of joint pain. Cutting out sugar and flour helps that tremendously)
It's confusing, because I BELIEVE in LC. Anymore, tho, it seems like it causes vertigo and nausea for me. And not just a few days of induction flu. The whole time.
I am trying to stay pretty clean, just eating way more carbs than normal. So far, this has caused crazy cravings...so I'm not certain how to play this. I'm just hoping I can find the right balance.

I hope I can still check in with you folks on occasion, even tho I might end up doing something that isn't exactly Low Carb.
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
For the last decade, Low Carb has been THE way to feel my very best. More energy, more clear thinking, less depression, less joint pain. In the year since I was finally diagnosed with autoimmune disease and have been on medication...that doesn't seem to be true. (with the exception of joint pain. Cutting out sugar and flour helps that tremendously)
It's confusing, because I BELIEVE in LC. Anymore, tho, it seems like it causes vertigo and nausea for me. And not just a few days of induction flu. The whole time.
I am trying to stay pretty clean, just eating way more carbs than normal. So far, this has caused crazy cravings...so I'm not certain how to play this. I'm just hoping I can find the right balance.
Kbeth, have you looked into doing an anti-inflammatory version of LC? I'm not there now, because my focus is on weight loss. But I think I am ultimately headed that way once I reach a normal weight range. It is still LC but emphasizes anti-inflammatory food choices and may run a little higher carb than most Atkids, depending on which choices your body responds to. I hope you'll stick with the Blitz and keep us posted.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #557

always a delight to hear from u, kbeth.

insofar as u are at maintenance level, u do not need to adhere to an austere level of carbs as those of us with a considerable amount of lbs to lose. u must eat for your condition. Although i am not a Dr., and do not play one on TV, i do not know of any condition that would benefit from sugar and white flour. I would find out from your MD, which foods to avoid re: your auto-immune condition, etc. Also, investigate which vita-nutrients may be beneficial as well. But never fail to check in with us. when one of us is missing for a while, i feel the loss, as we all do. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #558

concentrating on problem areas...and doing something practical about it.

I noticed, Tony, that u said that some alcohol is inevitable when your songwriting buddies come to visit. IS IT INEVITABLE? will they put a gun to your head, if u have a cup of green tea instead, or coffee, or water? Just try this once, and NOT have anything alcoholic just this once. See if it will badly affect your songwriting skills, or your relationship with your friends. I made a commitment a few years ago, to limit my alcohol to one serving of wine or rum (not both) on TG and Xmas dinner No other alcohol during the year. That was one behavior I have not betrayed. I have successfully broken bad rituals, and created new good ones. I still have more than 1/2 the (low carb)ice cream container in the freezer. It has been 2 weeks already. the usual length of time of duration WAS a few hours. I still cannot keep bread or many cheeses in the house. At least I am protecting myself against my weaknesses. Let me know how it went, if u decide to take my advice. I don't mean to pick on you, but I think u know that. It is all about choices. Make independent choices...not fall back on "inevitable" rituals. FF
Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Once again, ff, you have shown us why we need you so badly on this thread.

What a busy day at work! But I like it that way.

I have a weight check-up appointment with my Dr. on 12/13 so I'm doing 2 protein shakes a day with one LC meal to hopefully lose some for that appointment - no pressure
Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #560
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, lots of good stuff today!...

kbeth, great to see you...i have been eating relatively low carb during these blitzes, but not really counting them...i basically cut out unhealthy foods and most of them, for me, were carbs - sugar, flour, processed foods, salty snacks, etc...i didn't crave whole grain breads so i gave those up too...but i eat plenty of veggies and don't shy away from a healthy piece of fruit when i desire it...i eat some dairy too...not too much red meat and plenty of chicken and fish...

so, although this site is "lcf", i never saw it as a judgmental or restrictive place...just a place where most folks are cutting back on unhealthy, processed carbs and sugar, which is hard to believe is good for anyone...so, please don't feel if you alter your eating plan that you will somehow no longer be doing what the rest of us are doing...sounds like you'll be doing exactly what i've been doing for almost 8 months!
:-)

ff, thank you for the advice - of course i listen to you and i value your guidance and friendship...after i posted what i did, i realized i chose the wrong word and might evoke concern from you...thanks for caring...

it certainly isn't inevitable and i if i have a drink or two over the weekend, it will be a choice and i will not overdo it...i agree with everything you said...in the course of a year, i might drink the equivalent of a six pack of beer - i generally don't drink anything other than green tea and water...

but i try to drink that six pack when i am with my friends from nashville...i don't drink when i write, so it's not part of the creative process - i just enjoy having a drink with them once in a while...i'll order a beer and drink half of it over a 3 hour period...that's how i drink these days :-)

you don't know how much i appreciate your advice, brother...

hi shadows, great to see you, girl!...send those guests over here once you're done with them!

marilee, i know exactly how you feel - i get much more disciplined the week before a doc's appointment!...good luck!

Last edited by tony8; 11-29-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #561
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
kbeth, i'm so sorry that you've not been well. i truly hope you find yoru answers soon. i also know how frusrating it can be when your head and heart are not aligned with what your body might need, food-wise (says the wannabe raw food vegetarian). i know i would love it if you would continue to post and share where you're at, whether or not it be "atkins".

ff, congrats on the very successful thanksgiving. LC, kudos to you too! i read the link to your other post; t sounds like you prepared some fabulous stuff.you must feel on top of the world for getting through it unscathed. i am inspired and hope that i have a similar thanksgiving next year. as fot the rest of us, kudos for getting back on right away, i guess! i too stayed a bit over the weekend. so i am back on day one of my 30 days cheat-free challenge. the sugar beast has been talking to me, saying things like, "it's the holiday season,why are you doing this now? it's too hard." but there will alwyas be something. so...[B]if not now, when?[I] as ff said, giving in on the holidays is not an inevitability, it's a choice. so,for tomorrow i choose:

B: 2 eggs, smoothie (greens, water, stevia), T oil
L: sausage and onions, salad with oil
D: meat, veg, salad with oil

water and supps between meals
Old 11-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, shadows, just read your TG recap - that is very impressive...great job!

mama, i took ff's advice and bought a small bag of hershey's sugar-free dark chocolate miniatures...i also have sugar-free jello (10-15 calories) and sf jello pudding (60 cals) and when i really crave something sweet, i indulge in one of those treats - usually once or twice a week...gotta be careful not to overdo it, but it beats giving in to something worse...

btw, good choices tomorrow!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:05 AM   #563

i find that my evening eating is up a bit, lately.

it is zero to vlc, but...i wish, even after all this time, to be happy with less. Actually, i know that it is seasonal. I do not go out after dark. so, i am spending more conscious time in that cramped apartment. i did go to bed earlier though (8:30pm). I have a blood pressure pill (cozaar)which makes me drowsy (thank the god Morpheus). I did not overstate my daily allowance WW wise. It is a constant jiggling and tweaking. Yesterday for bkfast, i had my 5 oz of solid white tuna (chicken of the sea-on sale-$1.00 a can), and 2 T of mayo. No low carb bread, until Friday. I just want to make sure that I can live w/o it, if i had to (u never know when the next plateau will hit). For lunch, I had a diet HC with a short shpritz of WC. This is a very satisfying treat (5 gr incl the WC), and works miracles against the pervasive effluvium of our office's official afternoon snack: Micro-wave popcorn. For dinner: 17 spare ribs (no bbq sauce of course)which equals 34 WW points. that plus the tuna salad and HC yields 40 daily points plus 6 optional points. Ergo, I was free and clear (we get 35 optional points a week). I think today, it will go easier. I am still not hungry from yesterday. What is the point of this narration? The vigilance must never end. FF
Old 11-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #564
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
It was a busy, busy weekend. Celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas; Nov. and Dec. birthdays too. I overate and the scale shows it. Facing the scale at TOPS tonight. I already know what it will probably reflect and I will have regained close to 20 lbs. ARGH from my goal of 170
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #565
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

all we can do is learn from our mistakes and climb back on the horse...we can't change the past, but we're all in control of the NEXT thing we put in our mouths...

the next couple of days will be good ones for me...nothing questionable left in the house (thank the gods, as ff would say)...

the chicken wings were good last night - didn't overdo it...will have a few for breakfast this a.m...i'm thinking maybe fish for dinner with some steamed asparagus...

ff, you're right about winter being a challenge...if my hip improves, i may even join a gym just to "up" the level of my exercise...no point until i can do more leg stuff as my current routine works my upper body quite well...oops, today is exercise day!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #566

sorry about the hip, tony8

my knees are starting to misbehave a tad from time to time. i hope i will not be needing ANOTHER Total Knee Replacement anytime soon. I hope u do not mind my asking what the significance of the 8 in your siggy is. FF
Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you can ask me anything, buddy...8 has simply been my favorite number since i was a kid...i liked the way you could divide it by 2, and then by 2 and then by 2 again before you got to 1...i think i discovered that in 2nd grade and i've loved that number ever since! :-)

my first vanity plate when i was 18, on my '77 camaro was "tony-8" people used to pull up next to me at traffic lights and ask "what did you eat?"...it took me a long time before i figured out what they meant... :-)
Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #568

gonna work on my evening eating tonight.

it is my plan to eat ONLY my salmon filet. Not touching the ice cream either. I have plenty of water, snapple, and SOME diet soda to assuage any need to supplement the fish. i will try to keep busy, so that i do not even think of food. If I can conquer an Autumn/Winter evening, it will be quite a feather in my cap. Just finished a 2 oz piece of Kraft extra sharp cheddar cheese, 1.2" in length (yes, i measured with a ruler) I made it last 15 minutes, the same as last time. I have some water and green tea to accompany it. I also have some pork rinds in the desk drawer, BUT...it is too close to weigh-in, so no salty stuff till after Thursday weigh-in. FF
Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #569
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck with the weigh-in, Marilee. Heck of a time of year to have to do it.

FF, your efforts are inspirational.

Mama, your menu sounds good. Raw vegetarian might be a little tough to pull off on LC, but I always enjoy reading TaDa's posts about her LC vegetarian lifestyle.

Wow, Vicki, all those holidays in one. I can't even imagine.

Tony, great ideas for LC sweet treats.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
my first vanity plate when i was 18, on my '77 camaro was "tony-8" people used to pull up next to me at traffic lights and ask "what did you eat?"...it took me a long time before i figured out what they meant... :-)
Closed Thread