Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, sodium and fluid gain can cause wild fluctuations in weight...i was experiencing that maddening cycle when i was indulging in too many salty snacks...don't sweat it (no pun intended)...

it was hard for me when i was being basically good and staying on plan and either stalling or gaining...it's like our body's way of trying to talk us out of our commitment..."oh, i'll add some weight and he'll get discouraged and give up eventually"...but it is our resolve to do this that will win out in the end!...

i really don't think our bodies like the idea of giving up that extra weight - it's insurance against a famine or something :-) and you've been dropping almost every week for many months, so just keep in mind that any gains you might have to suffer are being caused by your success and don't worry about it...just keep doing what has worked and it will work...

the exercise idea is great - just take it in measured doses as getting hurt is worse than going very slowly...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I lost today (about 1.5) and am down 20lbs now! I feel really good about it and am aiming for 20 more by the end of February. I think it's totally doable, I just need to keep going at the rate I have been.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Don't let the scale freak you out FF--I was up 4lbs earlier this week, just goes to show how much our bodies can flucuate. When I see a new low number on the scale like today I claim it though!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

way to go, jenny!...you are totally rocking this blitz!...ummm, ff, what is the prize again?...

today's unenviable fare: :-)
b: 1/3 can of tuna and 8 black olives
l: cheese stick
s: handful of corn nuts
d: chicken and shrimp stir-fry (unless i change my mind while i'm in the market!)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
favorite diner meal

family just invited us out tonight. and seeing as i cook everymeal every day of the week for three people, i accepted!

what do you all rec. at a diner?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #485
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
at a diner, it is like ALICE's RESTAURANT...

u can get anything u want!!! Do not be intimidated. If u can get there a little earlier, u can ask the manager about low carb choices. i am confident they will bend over backwards to accommodate your needs. if someone else is paying, get prime rib, porterhouse, or surf and turf. Go for it. Keep the breadbasket on the other side of the table. Get your dressing on the side. If possible, bring a small pack of nuts which u can use as croutons for your salad. No sauces or gravies unless au jus (ask just to make sure.) Diet jello with whipped cream for dessert. I am saying nothing that u have not heard before. I love Diners. I think i will go to one this weekend, even if I have to go by myself. Bon appetit!!! FF
Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #486
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
mama, congrats on four days. I would go for a meat, cheese, veggie omelet at a diner. AKA: Denver omelet. Hold the sides or ask for bacon=/sausage subs.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

hey mama, hope you enjoy a nice meal...you deserve it! :-) i like ff's suggestions - don't think i can improve on them...have fun!!!

marilee, your decision says a lot about your determination and honesty...but i'll support you if you change your mind too... ;-)

i love this group - seems like when some of us have a tough week, others have a good week and both groups support each other...we all take our turns on the upside and downside, but wherever i am, i never feel alone!...thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #488

well, it's gonna be a long day. Mondays and Fridays usually are

I am slowly easing into the exercise mode. What i would like to do is take one of those Zumba classes. Sunday would be a perfect day for me. I must check out the price. But, i will be staying out of the house as much as possible, on the days i do not work. It is so easy to assume the wallow position now that the weather is finally cooling off. Frankly, i cannot wait for TG to be over. I am going to NJ on Wed afternoon, and coming home as early as possible on Friday, without inconveniencing my bro to take me to the station in New Brunswick. TG does not have the same magic as it did when I was a little troll. FF
Old 11-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

for too many years, TG has been a day holiday that seems to celebrate overeating - and since i've been at least 50 lbs overweight for the last 15 or so TGs - the day has been kind of a drag...in fact, my body weight has adversely affected all the holidays for me...i have hated sitting around a table full of food for 5-6 hours...it is uncomfortable and always highlighted my need to lose weight - something i wasn't doing...

i'm feeling better about it this year...

this never happens to me but i woke up at about 3 a.m. with an internittent dull pain in my right side - between my rib cage and hip bone...definitely some internal thing, but i can't imagine what it is...not a sharp pain, but enough to keep me awake...still happening...anyone ever have this happen or have any theories?...

be back in a bit...
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
way to go, jenny!...you are totally rocking this blitz!...ummm, ff, what is the prize again?...

today's unenviable fare: :-)
b: 1/3 can of tuna and 8 black olives
l: cheese stick
s: handful of corn nuts
d: chicken and shrimp stir-fry (unless i change my mind while i'm in the market!)
1/3 can of tuna?????? Eat the whole thing for crying out loud. It looks like you aren't getting enough: your body could be in starvation mode.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #491
Senior LCF Member

thanks for the suggestions guys. i ended up going simple with a romaine salad and grilled chicken (oil on side that i poured on) and a crispy side of bacon...mmm...bacon. next time i think i'll take ff's advice and get something like surf and turf if someone else is paying - ha!

re. poundage, over the past week i gained five pounds and lost 3 of them. feeling pretty lucky considering the amount of food i ate. i think it's a mixed blessing though. i can comsume an immese amount of food without gaining weigt. most people would think that's great. but gaining weight can be a big motivator. meanwhile, my little sugar beast will say things like, "you should be hundreds of pounds overweight. you can get away with it, why not? jus thave some" but what am i really getting away with? poor health, feeling weak, mentally and physically...

which brings me to today's plan:
B: 2 eggs, smoothie with 6-8 oz veg, water, and stevia
L: 4 oz. protein (prob sausage), 8 oz salad, cup cooked veg
D: 4 oz. protein, 8 oz salad, cup cooked veg, T flax seed

up to 4 T oil/fat at meals, up to T cacao, water ad supplements between meals

have a great friday y'all!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

mama, what a good girl you are!...very responsible eating choices at the diner...and today's menu looks great...and that baby is still a doll :-)

vicki, i know 1/3 can of tuna was a little light, but it was left over from my salad the night before...i have been trying to eat several small LC/low-cal snacks during the day rather than a real breakfast and lunch, and then a decent meal at night...

i think i learned that from ff who was saving a lot of his ww points until dinner...it seems to be working for me - the small snack every couple of hours keeps me from being hungry during the day, but keeps my cals down and then even a pretty good dinner doesn't put me over my calorie maintenance level...i seem to be losing steadily since employing this strategy the past 4 weeks (7 lbs.)...i'm gonna stick with it until i stall :-)

i made the most delicious stir-fry last night and it was sooo easy...heated up some olive oil in a big frying pan and defrosted frozen stir-fry veggies (3 bags) in the microwave...then sauteed the veggies over high heat stirring a lot...i like my veggies on the softer side so i covered the pan but cracked the cover in between stirs and seasoned them with stubbs ginger-rosemary seasoning while it was all frying...when the veggies were the way i like them, i added three bags of cleaned and cooked small maine shrimp and stirred it all together...the seasoning gave the oil and orangey color and everything tasted so awesome...i made a huge pan and there was only a cupfull left by the time the kids got done with it...i made some whole brown rice separately, but did not have any of that myself...

as ff says: you can eat luxuriously on this plan... :-)
Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/333.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Hi all!

Tony that stir fry sounds yummy! I think I'll give it a try.

The scale was up 2 pounds today - don't know why. I have started drinking more water - I am a terrible water drinker - I may only get in one glass a day. But, thanks to a thread on this website (ff knows!), it has helped remind me to drink, drink, drink. My body may be adjusting to the extra water, not know what the heck is going on

Have a great weekend - stay strong
Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #494
Senior LCF Member

cravings!!

just when i think they're gone...around my fifth or sixth day without sugar, flour, etc., they come back with a vengence and i usually give in. i've read this is a sign of the candida thing and it is at this time when there is die-off and the little buggers are screaming to be fed. i am trying to think of this as an, "it's not me wanting it, it's them" thing, but it's hard. these urges are so powerful. i hope i make it through this time.

toay's plan:
B: 2 hot dogs, 8 oz green smoothie
L: 4 oz. protein, 8 oz. salad, cup cooked veg
D:4 oz. turkey, 8 oz. salad, cup cooked veg

up to 4 T oil/butter/fat spread trhoughout meals, water and suppl, between meals, T cacao, T flax

we have thanksgiving number 1 tonight at my mom's, who alwyas has LC-friendly and healthy food.

what's everyone else up to this weekend?

hve a good one,
mama
Old 11-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

hey mama, what usually stops me from giving in to those cravings is the thought of going through those VERY difficult first few days all over again!...they suck!...usually not worth the taste of the stuff i'm craving :-)

hi marilee, water is sooooo good for you...it's all i drink, really and i do think it helps flush out toxins and other undesirables...our bodies are what, 75% water?...you want to change it out as often as possible...don't worry about the couple of lbs....

had a good day yesterday - ate almost nothing and then overdid it at about 9 p.m. with the insides of some calzones my kids picked up...LC but higher cals and i feel sluggish this a.m. as a result...need a low-cal day today to offset it and i should be levelled out by tomorrow...

getting to 210 by TG is a major psychological goal for me as it will mark 35 lbs. lost in 33 weeks...

hope everyone has a great saturday...i will check on y'all later...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #496
Major LCF Poster!

well, i think i must be tricking my body in some way...i'm down to 210 this morning despite overeating a bit last night...i have to attribute this to staying LC and being VERY disciplined during the day...seems to be allowing me to eat more at night...

yesterday i limited myself to:
b: hb egg and small slice of chicken
l: hb egg:
s: about 10 pistachio nuts
during the day...
then ate:
d: more than i should have of calzone innards - steak & cheese, veal and eggplant

for some reason, i don't have a problem during the day eating less and i enjoy evening meals more anyway...so although i do not plan on overdoing it at night very often, the occasional splurge on something i really love doesn't seem to be hurting as long as i limit my carbs at all times and my cals during the day...

if i can hold this until thursday, it will be 8 lbs. in 5 weeks...i'm sure once my body catches onto my pattern, it will stop losing and i will have to find another strategy, but i'm riding this wave as long as i can :-)

Last edited by tony8; 11-20-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Old 11-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Hey great news Tony--I'm holding steady with my 20lb loss--I hope to be down one more lb before T-day hits. I do not want to gain 4 or 5 lbs to have to take off in the next week after that...I will not only be tempted be a full on Thanksgiving dinner but my mom and sister will be making christmas cookies at my house with me all day on Friday for a big church/concert event that we host every year--we make literally like a thousand cookies for a it. The smell is always better than the taste I have to remind myself...I think I will make a low carb cookie recipe that day so I don't go crazy!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #498
Major LCF Poster!

btw, i moved into my size 34-waist "relaxed fit" jeans yesterday...bought them a few months ago and they were a tad too tight, but now they are fitting just right...the 36s were getting a bit baggy although i'm at that point where i could still wear either size...

i don't think i'll shrink out of these 34s for a long time...and remember, they are relaxed-fit which means they have a couple of elastic-y segments on the sides that stretch...so realistically, i'm probably at least a 36...i also read a story where manufacturers are making pants bigger than their stated size to make folks feel better about themselves, so maybe i'm a 38!...i hope not!

all i know is i was a 32-waist in college when i was an athlete and hot :-) and that was over 30 lbs lighter than i am now, so there's no way i'm a real 34 today...

but i can pretend, can't i???

Last edited by tony8; 11-20-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

JENNY!...that's great girl...hang onto that 20 lb. loss!...i think you're gonna do great over the holiday, as tough as it is...you've worked sooooo hard this blitz and i think you're in the lead for ff's biggest loser award :-) you don't want him coming from behind and catching ya now, do ya? :-)

making as much progress as we all have, is a real motivator, i think...i know i feel like i'm in a new body, and i don't want to give it up...i'm just about at the point where i'm still overweight, but i don't think people would describe me as "fat"...it's been too long since i've felt that way...

and i know i'm nowhere near where i want to be for my health - even though my health profile is sooo much better than it was 6 months ago...i have lost over 14% of my body weight since april...

i don't think i've mentioned this, but for many years i have snored and suffered from sleep apnea, which i never had treated...it affected my blood pressure, among other things...my family tells me i no longer snore and no longer show any signs of apnea...i feel more rested in the morning and just better overall...

we gain so much when we lose...i'm loving these blitzes and you guys! :-)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #500
Senior LCF Member

I think I'll do well too Tony--it really helps to talk about things here and plan ahead. I really have to watch drinking too much wine--that's when things go downhill fast.

I'm feeling really good at my new weight too, I think I fit right into your overweight but not fat catagory now...I was feeling very fat 20lbs ago!

Anyways, off to do some housework (I hate cleaning but on the plus side it does burn the calories)
Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #501
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WTG Tony on smaller paints, way cool.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #502
Major LCF Poster!

jenny, bring your duster and mop out here - i'll have you skinny as a twig in a few weeks :-)

where the heck is kbeth?...KBETH!!!...where are you???...i miss you!...

for that matter, where the heck are maggie and shadows?...
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #503
Major LCF Poster!

wow, no one around today...hmmmm...is everyone at a party i wasn't invited to?... :-(

been a good on-plan day:
b: hb egg
l: roast chicken
s: a few pistachios
d: turkey burgers - no roll

guys, we're about to start a tough week... :-)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #504

well, i would love to hear how y'all are gonna deal with your TG dinner

Wed a.m. I am getting to my bakery between 7 & 8 a.m. I am getting a large coconut custard pie for my bro and his wife (that is what they want). Pour moi-1 individual portion of low carb Tira mi su. I am having some trouble with the sink. Tonight, i am getting liquid plumber gel. If that does not work, I may not be able to make my stuffing. So, i will just do the cranberry sauce. i already have the cranberries and the diet jello. my Shoprite has very few diet flavors, so i had to get rasberry. I will wash the saucepan afterwards in the bathroom sink, if necessary. At the meal itself, there will be turkey, usually some other sort of meat as well, salad and veggies. I am allowing myself for TG day only, 25 net grams...for that day only. Besides, i am going to a WW meeting 2 days later, to guarantee no excesses. Wish me luck on the stuffing. I really want that to be successful. FF
Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

ff, sorry to hear about your sink...have you tried a good plunger?...or a snake?...

your TG plans sound delicious and responsible...

this will be a tough week for me - i'll have to stay strong...i'm gonna try to have a great monday and tuesday, a very good wednesday as we have a guest coming, and a good thursday and friday - TG at home and the day after at the in-laws...i am going to try to stay away from the carbs and if i overdo anything, i'll try to make it the turkey...

i set a 1 lb loss as a goal this week - very ambitious considering the circumstances - and even though i saw the 210 goal on the scale a couple of days ago, i was 212 yesterday so this is anything but a sure thing...

i am going to try to focus on how hard it was to get to this point and i DO NOT WANT to gain and lose this same weight again...with all these holidays and parties, etc. coming one after the other, if we fall off the horse, it will be harder to climb back on in any meaningful way...the best strategy is prevention...wish me luck!...and good luck to all of you... :-)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #506

some of us can get back on the horse very easily.

i am not one of them. also, I am basically concerned about those of us who have committed to a "clean" TG thru Xmas/Festivus season. Food is one of the most important considerations of TG. I, for one, do not wish to stand in the way of, or be insensitive to family traditions and the role foods play. But, for those of us who have committed to not packin' on the lbs, it is possible to have our proverbial cake and eat it too. Grill or saute the veggies. Boiled or steamed is so BORING. Make or buy a really great low carb dressing for your salads. Use 1/2 oz nuts in place of croutons for the salads. 2 T of dressing is really enough for a salad. The salad does not have to be swimming in it. If u do not wish to make a low carb cranberry sauce, use a low carb or diabetic jelly instead I would add to it a little lemon, lime and orange peel for color and flavor. same deal as for the salad dressing. Make or buy a low carb dessert. if u are a guest at someone's house, tactfully explain it to them quietly before. If they are truly friends, they will understand. Just a few tips for the holiday. Hope they are helpful. Oh, btw: the Breyers Carb Control Ice Cream sends its regards. Almost all of it is still there. I will be so busy, i do not think i will even taste any till next weekend. FF
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

once again, the voice of reason - thanks, bro... :-)

the maddening scale said 213 this morning even though i ate very little the past 2 days...could i possibly be paying for my digression last wednesday?...cruel!... :-)

now i'll be happy just to get back to the 211 i started the week at!...funny how our definition of success can change in a day!...

ff, where is everyone else?...did you lure them away with your LC cheesecake?...
Old 11-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #508

well it is a good reason to hide out for a while.

This bakery is across the street from Our Lady of St. Bernadette Catholic Church. I believe the cheesecake is, for me, a holy sacrament. Incidentally, I will NOT be initiating a new Blitz beginning with 2011. if we have not developed better habits since 4/1/10, we never will. I will ,of course, be with this site till i am back home on FERENGHINAR. FF
Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

what???...say it ain't so!!!...

even if we've developed better habits, we still need each other for support, don't we?...omg, i can't do this alone...
Old 11-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, you are not alone in the wt loss battle. I am here and struggling once again. OMG, when will the Merry-Go-Round stop!
Closed Thread