Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
mama, you are such a smart, sweet person...you're easy to love :-)

sounds like you have a good handle on what you're doing...i'm sure there are useful and helpful things in virtually every plan, so using the components that worked and made you happy makes sense to me...

plus, i think some of us need to shake things up once in a while...i know it makes me feel like i am in control and fights boredom...

we definitely are here for you, kid :-) i feel like all of us have become good friends, and share something with each other that we are not able to share with too many people in our day to day lives...

i dream of the day we are all at our goal and still post, sharing our maintenance stories and friendship... :-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

hey marilee, good to see you...yup, as long as the scale keeps trending down, i'll be happy!

had a good day today:
b: leftover baked salmon
l: mozzarella stick
s: a few pistachios
d: grilled chicken and veggies
Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
today's food

thanks or the support (as always) gibby and tony.

today is my first day "back" and thanks to what i've been eating the past few days, i am expecting lots of cravings but am reay to combat them with breathing, water, some amino acid supplements, and when all else fails, "just doing it" anyway.

B: 2 eggs, smoothie (8 oz green veg, water,and stevia)
L: 4 oz chicken, 8 oz cauliflower soup, 8 oz salad
D: will be out at a friends, good, clean animal protein (they usually have steak) and clean veggies

up to 4 T oil/fat spread throughout meals
water and supplements throughout day

have a great sunday everyone!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

mama, all that sounds yummy!...it usually takes me 3 days to get over the cravings - after that, it's so much easier...hang in there!...

having a fried turkey today - first time ever - looking forward to it - i'll give you guys a review later :-)
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

mama, all that sounds yummy!...it usually takes me 3 days to get over the cravings - after that, it's so much easier...hang in there!...

having a fried turkey today - first time ever - looking forward to it - i'll give you guys a review later :-)
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #426
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Hi everyone,
I had a crazy weekend with a huge party and alot of company staying overnight and into the next day. I held up really well until last night--ate off plan for one meal (this is my first major transgression in a long time My weight is up this morning (of course) but I've been eating clean all day and am not going to let it depress me. I had gotten down another lb last week to a grand total of 19 lost since beginning of Sept. but now I'll have to work hard in the next week to get back to where I was. My socializing is where I really seem to have problems. My friends and family really like to eat and drink and I can get caught up in it very easily...

So far today I've had a roasted pork chop. I will probably have salad and mexican grilled steak tonight.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
jf-it happens to all of us. The good thing is you went right back on plan. Now, my question is, how do you make Mexican steak? Thanks!

I did something today - I had ordered a cassata cake for my birthday to take to work before I started Atkins again. I called today and canclled it! Yea!

Have a good evening all! TTYL
Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #428
Senior LCF Member

i have the same question aout mexican steak - sounds yummy. marilee, good going on cancelling the cake! last week, i came home with an italian bread for my husband, something i haven't done in months. by the end of the week, i was eating that italian bread. good warning sign for me to look out for i guess.

well, i'm sorry to report that today was not a totally successful day one. i made it through the first two mels that i committed, but then went off at our friends' house tonight for dinner. jfin, i relate to the remaining on plan when socializing. i find it very hard (though of course not impossible to not eat and drink (what others are) when out with friends. maybe i'll socialize less until i feel stronger...or have a better plan for when i do.

here is the plan for tomorrow, please goodness, a full successful one...
B: egg, tomato, spinach omelette, smoothie (8 oz green veg, water, and stevia), 1/2 T cacao
L: 4 oz chicken, 8 oz cauliflower soup, 8 oz salad, 1/2 T cacao
D: 4 oz chicken, 8 oz salad, cup kale with oil
up to 4 T oil spread throughout meals, water and supplements throughout the day,
walk through neighborhood with the bunny
Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

mama, your baby is sooooo cute!....btw, 2 out of 3 meals on plan is a positive step in the right direction - good for you...one step at a time...

hey jenny, socializing is sooo tough...had a friend and her two daughters over today and we fried a turkey...the girls are 9 and 12 and the daughters of a close friend of mine who died of a brain tumor in july...well, they brought over a steamed pumpkin cake and cookies they made special, for me...how could i not try it - had to...just a small piece of each, but it's just so tough to stick to a plan when things like that happen...

jenny, you've been doing so well for 2 1/2 months - don't beat yourself up over 1 meal...you're still my hero :-)

marilee, you get the gold star today for canceling the cake...

back on plan and no socializing to mess me up!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

by mexican steak--I just meant carne asada--which is thinly sliced steak (usually a tougher cut) that is marinated in spices and lime juice then grilled.

Thanks for the support everyone--I'm back on track but I probably ate more than I needed to for dinner...
Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #431
Senior LCF Member

tony, i agree! i added some more pics. hoping these will inspire me to stick with it. these are still old though. got to get some recent ones on the computer and then i'll change the avatar again.

i am so sorry about your friend. the family is lucky to have a friend like you.

the steak sounds delicious. i love anything marinated, but am usually too lazy to do it. not that it requires much work. hmn.

anyhow, you are all my heroes. LC dreams everyone.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #432
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
gaining a lb or two after even a "minor" cheat is actually good news.

It happened in the past that when i went on a carb "bender" it did not show on the scale on the next weigh-in. So what happened was I got cocky, and felt I could tempt fate again. the next time around, the Fates were not too kind, and neither was the scale. But, by then it was too late. I could not get out of it. So, profit by the gain, and work out how not to let it happen again. FF
Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 AM   #433

I think i am getting old.

I woke up yesterday, and turned on my phone. Immediately it rang. it was the man who sold me my bus ticket. Am I coming? "What time is it", quoth I" "9;00am" quoth he. "Well, I guess I am not coming(it was a 9 am departure time)quoth I. I hung up and went back to bed. I wasn't even angry at myself. There will be another time. A bit later I pulled myself back together, walked over to Shoprite, and did my shopping. I walked home afterward carrying at least 40 lbs of groceries. So happy the elevator was in order. I once had to walk to the 7th floor carrying as many lbs of groceries. FF
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #434

LONDON BROIL (at least the pieces available to me)...

have no noticeable marbling, which is why they get tough so easily. I do not own a slow cooker, but I think they would respond to SLOW WET cooking. I might be wrong, though.I get it because it is inexpensive as red meat goes. Alsi, i look for the easiest way of cooking things. FF
Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #435

the cheesecake (1/8th of a 7" cake) is 4 grams.

4 grams of the tastiest endulgence (on plan or off plan) there is. Very rich tasting. It is also 4 points on the WW program. They use a low fat sour cream or yoghurt, or something. it is only 125 calories per piece. It would be a great thing to bring to a TG dinner, if it was not hosted by my family. FF
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

ff, you are too funny...i would have reacted the same way to that wake-up call yesterday - what was done, was done!...you probably have $60 more in your pocket today than you would have had... :-)

also, i have learned the same thing about cheating - you rarely pay the next day, but keep it up and you will pay dearly...i have learned to compartmentalize my plan, so that if i slip at one meal, it is over and doesn't affect the next snack or meal...and 2-3 good days after a slip-up day offsets the damage nicely...we're human, after all...

jenny, i'm back on plan, with ya, kid...

mama, that really is one very cute little girl...thanks for sharing her photos - look forward to seeing more...makes me miss when my kids were little like that :-) btw, sounds like a great exercise plan...

oh, one more piece of good news - along with my recent losses the past few weeks has been some benefit to my hip pain and rather than taking 4 aspirin a day (2 morning and 2 evening), i have been able to take just one in the morning, and that one as more of a heart-beneficial strategy...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #437

good to see u or anyone on less meds, Tony8

i am going back to the Dr. on 12/11/10. I hope I can get weened a tad from my blood pressure meds. I do not want to go cold turkey, but if she can cut 1 of the 2 of them, I would be thrilled. I believe that the more pharmaceuticals I take, the less effective ATKINS is, even if they are not the sort he cautions us about in DANDR. I do not think I will be weened from my diabetes oral meds just yet. Neither the weight loss or the exercise has been so dramatic for that to happen just yet. FF
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

hey ff, your doc is gonna be thrilled with your progress in december, even if your meds stay the same for now...

at the rate of 1/2 to 1 lb. per week, and figuring in a few stalls and no disasters :-), i figure it will take me almost another year to get to goal...

when i get there, i am really hoping i will be able to be off my blood sugar rx and reduce my bp meds, if not eliminate them...

saw one of my sisters yesterday for the first time in a few months and as soon as i walked through the door her jaw dropped and she said she couldn't believe how "skinny" i was...i corrected her and said, "you mean, less fat!"...lol...it was nice that it was so noticeable...made me feel good... :-)

but of course there were other people around and she started asking how i accomplished it, and i hate talking about myself and am a bit shy (i know that might be hard for you guys to believe), so i felt self-conscious and awkward for a while...it's no one's fault but mine, but it is a little weird to take credit for getting back to a more reasonable weight - kinda like you first have to admit you were undisciplined to get fat in the first place :-)
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #439
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all...

Mama, your baby is adorable! It sounds like you are doing better.

My report for the day - since restarting LC on 11/2, I'm down 9-1/2 pounds. I'll take it! I've been looking at Linda's LC recipes to get some ideas for Thanksgiving to make it more interesting than what I reported I would have before. There are some great ideas in there.

Here is the menu for today:

B - scrambled eggs with a little cheese
L - chicken
D - hamburger patty and small green salad with ff dressing

Have a great day!

Marilee
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #440
Major LCF Poster!

wow, marilee!...that is awesome!...9 1/2 lbs. in less than 2 weeks is a huge health boost...there's a lot of toxic stuff you dropped in there :-) good for you... :-)
Old 11-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Tony. I guess that's the only advantage to being super heavy is that you lose quickly

It is wonderful to be with a group that is so supportive and that has had success on this woe.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Busy weekend here at the Blitz. I had a "planned off-plan" weekend with a friend who came down from NYC to celebrate our joint birthdays. (She's in Dec. and we try to pick a date in between the two.) We stayed sugar-free but didn't really set carb or calorie limits. It was gorgeous outside so we did lots of running around.

Mama, it sounds like you've found a way to "take what you need and leave the rest." Good luck with it.

Marilee, congrats on your success!

FF, thanks for the elucidation on London broil. I'll let you know when I cook it how it comes out. I'm sure you will eventually get off the meds if you keep moving in the direction you're going. I'm off all of mine.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Whew, I think I am caught up.

I stayed on plan over the weekend. Now that it is fall I did a cooking frenzy. I made a pumpkin cheesecake recipe, black bean brownies, Just Like Twice Baked Potatoes on Linda Sue's site, Thai chicken patties, and Southwestern Green Chili Quiche.

Marilee, congrats on canceling cake and the wt loss.

LLM, great plan and strategy.

Hugs to the rest of you.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #444

good for u, lcshadows.

so glad u are off your meds. that is exceptional progress. FF
Old 11-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #445
Senior LCF Member

I worked out (elliptical and weightlifting) with my sister today and have eaten
plain tuna fish over greens with cucumber, red pepper, olives, feta, avocado--(delish)

had a snack of some roasted pork (about 3 oz)

Tonight will eat roast chicken, salad and some homemade low carb broccoli soup.

I hope I have a good loss tomorrow!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinchster View Post
I worked out (elliptical and weightlifting) with my sister today and have eaten
plain tuna fish over greens with cucumber, red pepper, olives, feta, avocado--(delish)

had a snack of some roasted pork (about 3 oz)

Tonight will eat roast chicken, salad and some homemade low carb broccoli soup.

I hope I have a good loss tomorrow!
Would love the soup recipe or link to it please.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #447
Senior LCF Member

I made the recipe up myself and it can be "tweaked" several ways

Basically I steam broccoli stems and cauliflower in a little water with lid, add the broccoli florets towards the end, when stems are getting tender--put veggies in a blender or food proccessor with either cottage cheese or tofu and some of the steaming liquid , but keep some brocolli flowerets out for texture and add at the end chopped or just pulsed once in the blender if you like it chunkier instead of smooth(I do.)

Also add chicken bullion paste (I suppose you could steam the veggies in chix broth if you use that instead of paste), I use some white pepper, a shake of herb seasoning salt and a handful of strong flavored cheese (parmesean, sharp cheddar, etc.) You can leave the cheese out if you are trying to be dairy free.

Other variations include using almond milk or adding soaked almonds to blend. I also sometimes add a handful of spinach to brighten the color to really green. It just depends on what I have on hand...the cauliflower makes it seem creamier but you don't have to use it either. Oh and sometimes I will add a spash of cream if I want it to be more filling and am not watching calories. My daughter LOVES this soup...I just add enough cooking liquid to get my blender going and then add more until I like the thickness. Sometimes I make it thicker than others, depends on what I'm in the mood for...
Soup is alot more forgiving than baking--sorry for not having specific measurements but I just eyeball everything and it also turns out good...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #448
Major LCF Poster!

omg, jenny...i could listen to you share recipes all night long :-)
Old 11-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #449
Senior LCF Member

mmm, jenny, that soup sounds good. i usually just puree the cooked cauli. and call it day. think i'll try your recipe next time. i still have some leftover cauliflowr soup for now.

congrats on all the losses (and gains - reducing meds yay!)

i made it through one day and it felt like a year. yes, i ave penchant for the dramatic. here is my plan for today:

B: 2 eggs, smoothie (6 oz. green veg, water, stevia), 1/2 T cacao
L: 4 oz. meat/protein, cup LC veg, 8 oz salad, 1/2 T cacao
D: 4 oz. meat/protein, cup LC veg, 8 oz salad or smoothie, T flax seed

up to 4 T fat spread throughout meals, water and supp. throughout day

our mommy and me library class is cancelled today beause they found bed bugs there - gross!

have a good one everyone. love,
Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Mama, a mommy and me library class? What do you do there? I always think of mommy and me classes as being swimming or baby gymnastics or something. (You can tell I'm really up on current parenting trends. ) Love your siggy goals.

Today is Tuesday so I am fasting...and complaining about it all the way. My higher-carb weekend brought back my appetite, so I am really noticing a difference. But toughing it out. I know things will return to normal after a few more low-carb days.
Closed Thread