Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #391
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i wish I could tell y'all what it was that put a stop to binging.

I honestly do not know. I would have to credit the Gods for assistance. But that day on april 1, when I by-passed the coffee truck (and we know it was not the coffee), began the non-binging era. Yet, I must be vigilant. Somehow I feel that the Binge Behavior is lurking just beneath, like Monsters from the Id (re:FORBIDDEN PLANET). I consume what I imagine is no greater than 2000 calories a day, which is fine for someone of my weight. Somedays, I need a bit more, and some days less. In Autumn/Winter, usually more. In Spring/Summer a bit less.I have worked on ways to stifle excessive hunger when I know I have eaten reasonable amounts. I have accepted slow weight loss, This body was built for comfort, not speed. I am doing SOME exercise, but not working too hard at it. I suspect, that by the time, next summer rolls around, i will be capable of doing more physical activity. Basically, I am enjoying my plan, not stressing over it. I hope this was helpful somehow. FF

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 04:48 AM   #392

oh yes, the London Broil...

I experimented cooking it in the saute-pan (a first for me)I deliberately undercooked it. The Dry rub was nothing more than minced garlic(from a canister) and fresh cracked black pepper. It was a very thick piece. I put in some peanut oil(Planters), and cooked it on medium heat for about 7 minutes a side. It was still blood red inside. then I sliced some it with my new Ronco carving knife(after allowing it to rest for 15 minutes). Oh baby. Then I nuked the slices for 20 seconds twice, for medium rare consistency. I dipped the slices in Nathans mustard, about 12 oz of cow. I was one happy Troll. FF
Old 11-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
ff, my mouth's watering :-)

i agree with adam's point that we are always only one second away from getting back on plan when we falter...we all have to do some soul-searching to try to find the will to do this...it is hard - no question...i hate having to think about what i'm putting in my mouth after years of eating anything i wanted...

but i also remember how bad it felt to see people i hadn't seen in a while who i knew were thinking, "wow, he's gained weight" - some even said it...or to visit family on holidays and how i felt fat and uncomfortable all day - couldn't wait to leave to undo my belt or get home and hit the couch...each time vowing i would be thinner by the next holiday and breaking that promise year after year...

that's where i think some of us have to find our strength - not so much in the glory of what we are achieving, as these losses sometimes seem minor compared to the effort - but rather an aversion to what the alternative gives us - for me, a fat, unhealthy body, that i feel tired and bloated in...and i feel like i have no self-control...and i feel dumb and weak for allowing myself to get that way...

even only getting halfway to goal so far, i will see family this year and get the opposite reaction - "wow, you look great!"...and more importantly, i feel great and won't be sweating and running outside for cool air after dinner, and dying to get out of there...

like ff says, i don't know why we have the problems we do, but we do...and i'd rather have this problem than SOOOOOOOO many others...this one we can beat!...let's do it - one food choice at a time...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Good morning, all. I need to get caught up on the posts. So, here goes.

LLM-I read your post and I really understood and felt your pain. Your emotional depression cycle was one I could relate to. Doughnuts are my downfall. I worked in a doughnut shop in high school and I NEVER got tired of them - they are still a favorite food and are on my "hot" list to avoid. When people bring them in to work, I die inside knowing that for the day my drug of choice is waiting for me just around the corner.

I agree with Tony about your current weight. It does seem to be in the range for your height and maybe you are being too hard on yourself. Our country has such a perverted view on what a woman should look like - don't buy into it!

Warrior - Well said! I've been thinking about going to an OA meeting, even though I am not a fan of the 12-step program, at least for me. I have a problem with confessing that "I am an over eater" or "I am a food addict". If you keep telling yourself you are something, guess what? You are the something. I realize that the condition will stay with me for life, but can't we spin it more positively? "I am no longer an over eater", etc.

FF-It's only 7:50 AM here in Phoenix and I want to go home and make a steak with your rub, and I'm not even hungry! Which brings me to the food for today:

Breakfast - eggs and bacon
Lunch - roast chicken (I need to finish it)
Dinner - hamburger patty with a little cheese and small lettuce salad with FF dressing.

Have a great day everyone!

Marilee
Old 11-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #395

i sometimes wonder: what is my ultimate goal?

i am not referring to a number on the scale. I mean what do I expect to get out of staying on plan, any plan for that matter. Looking great is not as important as it used to be(although i am already a hottie). But, physically feeling better, and having physical strength are the prime reasons. I cannot fulfill my dream of a long sojourn in Italy, when i retire, even if i was financially secure. Unless I was as energetic as after consuming a barrel of Starbucks black coffee, there would be no way to do it. So there it is. FF
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can so relate - I love to travel and I'm not because I don't want to fly because of my size.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Wow, lots of posts in my couple days away. Welcome to the boards, Marilee! If you look at my stats (over on the left, under my candle), you'll see that I started out bigger than you are and I've lost weight, despite being in my 50s, with this WOE. My doctor said I should try to lose 10% of my body weight and if I managed to lose more than that at my time of life it would be a miracle. Well, hey, a few hot fresh miracles there for ya! So you can absolutely do this.

Mama, I have so been right where you are -- feeling out of control and about desperate enough to try anything. Discouraged at disappointing myself when I had been doing so well. I guess I would echo Adam's question about whether you want to go back down a road on which you already found crushing depression. I have my own quibbles with 12-step programs but one of them is that I think that the reason I was given free will was so that I could make my own choices and my own mistakes and learn from them. So attempting to relocate the power and responsibility for my choices to a source outside of myself (be it a sponsor, group, externally-imposed rules or whatever) somehow feels like dodging my "job" in this lifetime. I may have made a million mistakes in my choices, but they were my mistakes and my choices and my learning opportunities, when I chose to learn from them. Personally, I've come to prefer that way.

Mama, about the binge eating thing: I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some food(s) that is triggering your food sensitivities is tied into or triggering your binges. That was true for me, and I've heard other people who finally gave up binging say the same thing. For me, it was dairy. Even though I hadn't been having allergic reactions to dairy, I knew that too much of it caused minor digestive and sinus problems. I accidentally discovered when I gave dairy up for Lent that my binge eating desires (and even overeating desires) disappeared with it. I've heard other people have the same experiences with sugar or alcohol or nuts or grains or bacon or something else that was a regular part of their diet -- sometimes even innocent somethings. (What kills me is that most of my dairy was in the form of organic, sugar-free Greek yogurt. Honestly, can anything sound more innocent than that?!?) I'm not saying there isn't an emotional component, but I wouldn't rule out a physical trigger as well. As FF implied, sometimes biology just sneaks up on you.

Vicki, congrats on sticking with the exercise. I am having a bear of a time with that. On really nice fall days, I just walk outside and don't come near my weights. On cold or rainy fall days, I want to snuggle under my blankie on the couch and not leave its warmth. Give yourself props for sticking with it. There was a time in my life when, having blown the exercise, I would have written off my plan for eating, too. But that all or nothing dieters thinking is what got us fat, and we're on a different path now.

FF, London Broil was our "sale roast" for last week, so I have one in my freezer. Have never made one before. What you described sounds delicious. I'm curious to see if I will like this cut. I'm not sure I'm up for the blood red and pan-fried part, but the rub sounds good. I tend to like to cook my roasts until they fall apart with a little prod of a fork. I made the one I cooked this morning with carrots (higher carbs in fall/winter). Great meditation on your ultimate goal. I'm still working on mine -- though being able-bodied and having a complete recovery from my accident (no more cane) is a big part of it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #398

do not overcook London Broil...

unless u need a new pair of shoes. The scale was sweet today. another 2.4 lbs off the keester. new specs 372.8/310.0/??? Well I must get back to woik. FF
Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

you guys are awesome!

wow, the more i read, the more i love you guys...the intelligence, compassion and honesty in here is rare, i think...i feel very lucky to be around y'all...

well, the scale said 212 this morning - down 1 pound and at my goal for the week...that's 6 pounds lost over the past three weeks and i'm at my lowest weight now than i have been in many years...hooray!...

i'm gonna shoot for another 1 lb. loss for the coming week - 211 - even though we are having a pre-thanksgiving thanksgiving dinner on sunday and frying a turkey - which i have never done before...

i guess that will put pressure on me to be extra good every other day...i'm just waiting for the plateau here - i don't think i have lost this much weight this quickly since month 1 of blitz 1...i think my last stall (which lasted almost 2 months and included gains) was broken by cutting out the whole grains and being more disciplined about the weekly goals...

then again, the 212 only represents a 2 lb loss from mid-september, so i've only lost 2 virgin pounds in almost 2 months :blush:

ff - you're a maniac!!!...another 2.4 pounds???!!!...wow!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #400
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tony, you are so near to your goal! You should be SO proud of yourself.

You'll get there.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #401

well, i am a maniac..yes...but for other reasons. lol

my victories are sweeter when others share the same success. i know how tough it has been for u tony8. Did u do anything different recently, that u did not do when the scale was up and down? FF
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stackdiesel
Stats: 238/196/Unknown
WOE: Low Carb
Hello Blitzers

I don't mean to intrude. I saw that my BCC buddy Adam was posting here and started reading through the thread, and just wanted to say that you've got a great, tight-knit group here and I wish all of you the best with your goals.

Regards,
Stack
Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

hey stack, nice to meet ya and thanks for the kind words...there are a bunch of awesome folks in here and i know i owe them A LOT...adam is a great guy and smart!

thanks marilee... :-) but i'm still a light-year away from my goal...and only ff has a ship fast enough to get me there in this lifetime - he said he'd give me a lift, though :-)

ff, i think i've done a couple of things that have helped lately: 1) cutting out grains in cereals and whole grain chips, 2) not worrying about cholesterol for now, and adding more red meat and eggs to my diet...eating a hb egg for breakfast and lunch on many days have helped keep my calories down and protein up, 3) a general reduction in all carbs...

i have felt more satisfied and less hungry - raising my protein and lowering carbs seems to have jump-started my losses again...setting weekly goals have kept me more accountable, so i am grazing less...

and i think i've just been lucky!...
Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

hey where have jylly and maggie been?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Wow, you guys have been chatty here

Mama, man can I relate to your story. I used to hide food in my room too. My mom would always count cookies, brownies, measure cake and ice cream cartons and if anything was missing I was blamed. Getting off the sugar and carbs is a real pain in the rear. I know that I have to white knuckle it and "Just Do It". I am getting closer though.

ff-you are doing great, KUTGW. I have never tried any meat rubs before, very tempting.

Adam and Tony, you guys are awesome with the support.

LC, what an inspiration to us "older" folks LOL.

Today I was more on plan.
B-Whey "pancakes", coffee
L-chicken, salad w oil/vinegar
S-veggies, almonds, pnut butter
D-Minute steak, salad w dressing, apple w pnut butter, spearmint tea

Oh, and I walked for 45 minutes and 15 minutes on elliptical.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #406

not only FF, but FF on Friday..even better!!!

So looking forward to AC on Sunday(changed from Sat to Sun-long story). I have my plan ready. I will take the McD breakfast Egg McMuffin, or Egg McBiscuit (whichever is on special this week) and a medium size coffee to see me through the bus ride. Of course, instead of the muffin or biscuit, i will have 2 slices of my low carb bread. I am bringing my cassette walkman, because my cd player has no anti-skate circuit. Well, what do u want for $14.95? Also enough cassettes to fit any mood, and batteries. It is supposed to be rain free in the NE through Monday. but I will take a small umbrella just in case. the bus gets more expensive each year. it started at $23.00 when I first started going. Now it is $35.00. It would be nice if just this once, I came home HEAVIER than when I left. However, it will be a good day regardless. I hope eveyone enjoys this weekend, and begins planning how they will handle TG. "If we fail to plan, we plan to fail" FFon F
Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

hope you have a great time, ff...sounds like quite a plan! :-)

vicki, congrats on the menu and the exercise!...i love it when i have an excellent day like that...it helps rev the metabolic engine and pays dividends for days...

it's looking like TG is gonna be at the in-laws in Conn. this year...i'm not really worried about it...i'll be driving 7-8 hours round trip and i don't crave any of the foods associated with the holiday...and my in-laws don't keep junk in the house...

there are a couple of other weeks before year end that will be trickier as we are having guests and going out etc...that's why i need to lose as much as possible in anticipation...

hope everyone has a great day...i'll be back in a bit...where's kbeth and jenny?...
Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! It's a beautiful day today - 71 degrees for the high.

ff-I don't know what "AC" is, but I hope you have a wonderful time. It sounds like you are prepared for everything.

Hi Stack - thanks for stopping by. Feel free to visit any time.

Vicki-As you know you are always an inspiration - KUTGW! Just an aside to everyone in the group, Vicki is my niece and I am VERY PROUD of her!!!!

Tony-unless I'm reading this wrong, you aren't a light year away from your goal according to your stats. You'll be there before you know it!

TG-"thankfully" (excuse the pun), I am spending it alone by choice. I've just started my LC journey again and I don't want to sabotage it by going to someone's house for dinner. I plan on having a slice of ham (those singles you can buy in the store and cook), yellow squash and zucchinni with butter, and a LC pumpkin pudding recipe - I love pumpkin pie and since I can't have that......

How is everyone else? We miss you. Jenny???? How are you doing?

Have a wonderful day!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #409

sorry...AC is Atlantic City, NJ

so looking forward to the boardwalk, and a really great lunch, the 2 of which will occupy at least 90% of the 6 hours I will have. I go there about once a year. i used to go on or as close to Sept 2 as possible. but there was never any breeze coming off the ocean. it was intolerable hot. why Sept 2 u ask (although u did not) Sept 2, 31 bc was the the Battle of Actium in which Octavian and Agrippa (assisted by Neptune)defeated the forces of Antony, and Cleopatra the Queen. I, of course, was on the winning side. I am sure Octavian/Augustus will forgive me, as he has appointed me Augustalis...priest for the administration and preservation of his cult. I have not failed him. he will not fail me. FF
Old 11-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

and nero fiddled while ff burned his london broil

sorry, boss, i couldn't resist! :blush:
Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #411

i am trying to eat a piece of low carb cheesecake

V E R Y S L O W L Y. It is too darned delicious. i am stopping a few minutes between each bite. This may be a first for me. FF
Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #412

i made it last 16 minutes.

it is a record for me, but i know i could better. i have one piece left, which i am saving for Monday. I will try for 20. FF
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #413
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: warriorscholar
Stats: 355/267/205 6' 2"
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: July 1st 2007
Hey FF,

Does your LC Cheesecake place deliver to Wisconsin?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #414

They do indeed, WS bro.

u can google them TASTYPASTRYSHOPPE.COM. I will give u their phone on the private message part of the web. I do not know if the rules allow it on this part. Whatever it costs, it is so worth it. U may have to keep it at the neighbors. i do not dare keep it at home. I keep it in the fridge at work. Do not freeze it. FF
Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

sounds good to me, ff - how many net carbs is in a slice?...i know you've told us but i forgot
:-)

btw, 16 minutes is impressive!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG! I went to the website. Holy cow, and sugar free too!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
FF, I had no idea you and Octavian were so tight. Is London Broil unusually lean? I've never had a roast come out really tough. I usually cook them in beef broth and herbs/spices in a sealed pan on low heat for hours and they come out beautifully tender. (That's why I eat a lot of roast. I have no idea how to cook most meats.)

Vicki, thanks for posting your workout. Every time I read one, it makes me remember that I probably still need to go do mine. (What is this working out in the morning stuff people keep talking about, though? I am so not a morning person. I am lucky I can lift a cup of coffee without hurting myself in the morning. )

Hi, Stack! Love your goal. Good luck over at BCC!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

happy saturday, fellow blitzers!...hope everyone is well and having a great day!...

i had a weird day yesterday, which just adds to the mystery of this whole weight-loss process...thursday i weighed in at 212 (hit my goal for the week), yesterday i was 213 (no big surprise as my weight fluctuates day to day), but yesterday after weigh-in, i had a higher caloric day than the past few - i was hungry all night and grazed on healthy choices, but still ate more than i had been...so i was expecting 214 on the scale today, but rather, it was 211...now that was surprising to me...

i've had a few cycles like that lately - a day where i'm up a pound and the next day i am down 2 pounds...and it is often after a day where i've taken in more calories...but i have to be very careful, because if i take in a lot of calories 2 days in a row, i gain it right back...keep cals down, and the loss seems to stick...

anyone else experience this or have any theories?... :-)

fried turkey tomorrow so i need to lose today!...lol...211 is next week's goal so the trick will be to hold steady for 5 more days!...
Old 11-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
the plan

when i first wrote about my transgessions into carb world, i said that i was scared and thinking of going back to the 12 step program after almost five years away (before that it was five years in). some of you rightly advised staying away as i was very depressed there. besides i'd rather not make a decision out of fear. love-based decisions seem more productive. i've been thinking about the program, though, and it's allure and i've realized that while some of the overriding beliefs are very dangerous for me, there were some components that were very helpful. so...why not incorporate what is helpful without going back to the whole thing, which as i said would be acting in reaction to fear not love?

it was helpful to "commit" my food for the day, though not convenient to wake up and call somone each morning. the boundaries of eating three times a day and the food plan were also helpful. even weighing and measuring was enjoyable. i don't always "get" a serving size. and i liked seeing it in black and white. that might not be something long-term, but i would like to do it now. keeping track of how many days i have of on-plan eating. the support of a group, which i definitely have here. (the group or sponsor as parent-me as child/good girl/bad girl stuff/"we get to tell you what to eat and how much you are allowed to weigh" stuff - not so helpful).

i guess that's basically it: support, food plan, weighing and measuring (at least at first), and the goal of 30 days (and then more...) also, i liked one of the slogans: "no matter what". this makes me think of what i just read in vicki's post: "just do it". it sucks getting off this stuff, but i feel better when i do, so just do it, no matter what. yes, it's white knuckling at first, but then the cravings subside and life gets better. that sounds good right about now.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all! I hope you had a great Saturday.

Mama, it was so nice to hear from you. It sounds like you know exactly who you are and how to deal with your issues. It's just hard, I know - we get in the way of ourselves. You definitely can come here for support. We may not be with you physically, but we will support you whenever you need it.

Tony, I'm having the same issue witht the scale. I started induction a little over a week ago and was down 6 pounds, but now the scale is up 1 and it's "only" 5. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy with a loss - any loss, but I hate it when the scale goes up. I'm trying to drink more water, which is one of my problems. I am not a water drinker or a drinker of much.

Not much else to report. I went to my favorite meat market today and stocked up on a freezer full of assorted meat - steaks, ground beef, sausage, chicken, etc. so I'm ready for anything.

TTYL - stay strong!
Closed Thread