Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/227.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
the scale gave me some good news today :-) it's said 215 - so if i can maintain that 'til thursday, i'll hit my target of 1 lb for this week...yoo hoo!...

i feel like i've finally figured out what will help me get to my goal...and it only took me 7 months!!! :-) unfortunately, i think i was giving myself waaaay too much credit for discipline....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #302
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Congrats Tony on the scale reading today. I am grazing today and not on very good things. Need a good swift kick in the rear end.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: Twoterville/Short Term Goal - ONEderland!
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 9/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
the scale gave me some good news today :-) it's said 215 - so if i can maintain that 'til thursday, i'll hit my target of 1 lb for this week...yoo hoo!...

i feel like i've finally figured out what will help me get to my goal...and it only took me 7 months!!! :-) unfortunately, i think i was giving myself waaaay too much credit for discipline....
Way to go Tony! You can be disciplined until next Thursday because you want this!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

vicki, i've had plenty of days like the one you had yesterday and going through some tough stretches has actually been good for me, i think...it has helped me appreciate how good i feel when i am disciplined, and to see how getting sloppy with my woe affects my weight and overall well-being...

for the last week or so, when i think about making a bad food choice, i am thinking about the consequences more...for instance, i am one pound heavier right now than i was in mid-september, which has proven that a lack of discipline can have me running in place for almost two months...

and the only thing worse than running for two months, is running in place for two months...i may not be a genius, but i'm smart enough to get that! :-) and it's a great deterrent...

hey maggie, i think i can... ;-)

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185
Old 10-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Tony, congrats on hitting 215! It sounds like you've learned a lot from your "oopses."

Vicki, can you plan some healthier grazes for the weekend? I'm a weekend grazer, too. Get me out of the office for a day, and I might as well be a horse out to pasture. I try to remember to stock the fridge with some healthier grab-and-eat stuff before the weekend -- because I also seem to be allergic to cooking on the weekend.

Maggie, good to see you again!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks, shadows...i'm still in the zone and showing no signs of slipping yet :-)

another good, on-plan day...i'm almost afraid to even say this out loud, but the scale said 212 this morning which was 3 lbs. below yesterday...obviously, i did not lose 3 lbs. in one day - i may have been dehydrated...i haven't been eating much and my appetite has been suppressed for some reason...i feel fine though...

i'm guessing i will be back up to 215 tomorrow, but it was fun to see, even if only for a day...don't think i've been 212 in 16-17 years...i'll keep you posted :-)
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

big news today!!!...i was pushing my shopping cart around the supermarket this afternoon and my cell phone rang and guess who called me?????

our intrepid leader, FF, and i have to tell all of you: he is even nicer in real life than he is on here - I know that sounds impossible :-)...it was a treat to talk to him and to learn from the experiences he shared with me...THANK YOU BROTHER!!!...
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Oh wow...what wonderful reading material this has been! So great to hear of plans and successes and different menus and approaches. I learn something here everyday!

tony...your post on your kids was so touching. Really. You seem like a man at peace with his life...and well you should be! How nice...
The 212. How exciting! Even if it was just for a day, you know it's in there and just a matter of time before it sticks! And, most exciting of all...talking to a real live FF. Very, very cool.

FF...so glad you called our tony. I am hoping that you are continuing to do well...and I continue to be in awe of your ability to stick to it, even in this difficult time for you.

Health-wise I've been down and out, doggonit. But, I am proud to say that nary a morsel of Halloween candy has passed my lips. Ready for this week...plan on hitting the trails if I'm for it. Have a good one!
<---Avatar Summer 2009. Soooo close to goal and then had a mad, passionate weekend with sugar. Let me be a lesson to you. Not sure you're strong enough to cheat and then get right back on plan?? Then don't do it!!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

:-)

thanks for the kind words, kbeth...you are so sweet :-)

i'm sorry you have been feeling poorly - it's been a while now...too long...i'm very proud of you resisting the candy bowl...i haven't hit it yet either - did i say YET???...lol... i picked out the candy today - snickers, snickers with almonds, m&ms, kit kats :-) haven't had a morsel...can't believe it...

are you hiking or biking those trails, kbeth?...

it was really nice to talk to ff today...actually, he was exactly what i expected...a really nice, sincere, intelligent, fun person - we lucked out finding him and these blitzes guys!...looking forward to our next chat...

hope everyone had a great weekend and that kbeth feels great tomorrow! :-)
Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
I'm doing well--Had a ton of temptations between a big (adult) Halloween party last night with huge table of potluck food/desserts,etc. and trick or treating with daughter. But have held firm and haven't had any slips. I did drink red wine and plus ate some celery with salty dips and some other low carb stuff that's probably more calories than I've been eating (stuffed mushroom, crab dip, yum).

Anyways I popped up a couple pounds on the scale, but I'm not worried about it and believe it will drop off in the next couple days. Walked alot tonight and overall been feeling pretty good.

Tony, when I see a new low on the scale I claim it! Great news and very encouraging and rewarding for you to see that your discipline is paying off...

Sorry you haven't been feeling well kbeth--I can't stand not feeling strong, it can be very frustrating--think how much worse off you would be if you weren't eating well though?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
made it through the wilderness somehow

just reporting that halloween came and went and i got through it without a RP peanut butter cup, my childhood (and adulhood) fav. - amazing!

glad you all did too!

by the way, kbeth, i';ve been reading the diet cure. so interesting. i finished the intensive 7 day part of this candida cleanse i've been doing and am ow using some of the suggestions she talks about in that book. have gotten someamino acis, etc. hoping it helps. i am so tired of feelin so tired all the time.

happy day after halloween everyone!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats on the 212, Tony! Hope it stays to play with you. How wonderful that you got to speak with our Fearless Leader. I love reading his posts.

Kbeth, sorry you're not feeling well. Same question as Tony: watcha planning to do on those trails? We're big on trails here (Western NC) -- Appalachian, Blue Ridge, etc.

Jfinchester, you did great! Potlucks can be a killer for carbs.

Mama, you and me and the Reese's. I almost gave in and bought some of the sugar-free ones this year, but managed to walk away. Those things are addictive.

I managed to steer clear of Halloween candy and a well-meaning neighbor bearing a birthday cupcake and ice cream (which, frankly, is a lot harder than the candy when you know she did it for you). Whew! My next big challenge should be when my dear friend comes down from NY in a couple weeks for a joint birthday celebration. (She's in December, I'm at Halloween, and we usually try to meet in the middle to celebrate them.) I have two weeks to come up with a game plan. Fortunately for me, she's also trying to do sugar-free (though not low-carb) right now, so that's a big help.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #313
Blabbermouth!!!

So off plan and hating myself for it.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

did you have to mention the peanut butter cups? :-)

hey guys, great to see everyone and thanks for the support!...

jenny - mama - shadows: i'm with you guys!...i actually paused for sec as i walked by the reese's this morning, then kept on walking...i put big bowls of candy on the counter at work for customers, and i have to walk by them all day...what was i thinking???...lol...

jenny, it is sooo hard not diving into those pot luck dinners...great job...i'm sure that couple of pounds is fluid - don't sweat it...i mean, you might sweat it out...i mean, .....

shadows, western nc is beautiful...been out to the area by the smokies - cherokee and loved it...

no weigh-in today - my daughter had me up and out at the crack of dawn, driving her back to college, so i didn't even see the scale :-) i'm pretending it still reads 212, though i know it doesn't...back to reality tomorrow...

i don't know why, but i've just not been very hungry for the past week - i am so grateful for that, as it makes it so much easier to stay on plan...in place of the chips and salsa i used to love, i've been snacking many nights on a small quantity of greek and italian olives and a small amount of feta and low-fat cottage cheese...very yummy and satisfying...

i also haven't been craving carbs at all...so, don't give me too much credit, folks...i've had a week that required no will-power, and i know that isn't gonna last forever...i'm hoping i can drop enough now so that if/when i stall, it will be in a much better place...

see y'all in a bit...

p.s. we probably won't see ff today, as he had jury duty...

Last edited by tony8; 11-01-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you can do it!

hey vicki, we've all been there and done that - some of us as recently as last week

the horse is right there next to you and she's wearing a saddle...just take a deep breath and climb back on her...you can do it!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCShadows View Post
Congrats on the 212, Tony! Hope it stays to play with you. How wonderful that you got to speak with our Fearless Leader. I love reading his posts.

Kbeth, sorry you're not feeling well. Same question as Tony: watcha planning to do on those trails? We're big on trails here (Western NC) -- Appalachian, Blue Ridge, etc.

Jfinchester, you did great! Potlucks can be a killer for carbs.

Mama, you and me and the Reese's. I almost gave in and bought some of the sugar-free ones this year, but managed to walk away. Those things are addictive.

I managed to steer clear of Halloween candy and a well-meaning neighbor bearing a birthday cupcake and ice cream (which, frankly, is a lot harder than the candy when you know she did it for you). Whew! My next big challenge should be when my dear friend comes down from NY in a couple weeks for a joint birthday celebration. (She's in December, I'm at Halloween, and we usually try to meet in the middle to celebrate them.) I have two weeks to come up with a game plan. Fortunately for me, she's also trying to do sugar-free (though not low-carb) right now, so that's a big help.

glad you honored your body on your birthday - what a gift!
yes, i think it's doubly hard when someone makes something "just or you". congrats again.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
So off plan and hating myself for it.
just come back.we love you!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the well wishes. I am now being pro-active, it helps alot with my attitude which in turn helps my health. I'm doing what I like to call my trifecta...accupuncture, massage and chiropractic. Insurance helps, thankfully, but with a $20 copay for each, that's still kinda pricey for me. I prefer that than more meds and more trips to the Dr., tho.
Beauuuutiful here today. Unbelievable. The trails on which I hike, LC, are those of a Forest Preserve 5 minutes from my home out here in the suburbs of Chicago. There are trees and the occasional squirrel...and if hum just the right way the traffic going by on the interstate kinda sounds like the ocean....

B: bunless burger
L: greek yogurt, berries and nuts
D: ?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i'm about 5 minutes from the ocean right now...all i can hear is traffic, though! :-)

sounds like you are on the mend, kbeth, and i know what you mean about your "trifecta" being better than more meds...good for you!...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHADOWS!!!

b: steamed broccoli
l: 6 walnuts
s: a small cheese stick
d: leftover bbq chicken
Old 11-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday LCS!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #321
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
well...it is here: the holiday season began on 10/31/10

I hope no one went off the deep end on HALLOWEEN. The purpose of this blitz was to steer us away from holiday inspired misbehaviors. My strategy for getting through the next few months is upping my fat, and my portions. Keeping all FRANKENFOODS out of the house. certain ones that i do allow (such as my low carb cheesecake, are sporadic and eaten only at its point of origin), or i take it to work. I am good in public. Let us weigh less on New Year's Day than now. FF
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

amen!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #323

all my pants are now the correct size.

i can no longer hide behind pants that are 8 sizes larger. Everything in my closet that has not yet disintegrated are too small. I have a coat that I do not remember buying or wearing. It is still way too small. I will try it on every 2 months on the 1st of that month. with luck, I may be able to fit into it in May, when it will be unsuitable for winter wear. It will most certainly be worth it anyway. Inches(or rather, lack of them) are a more realistic measure of success than the scale. FF
Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Yesterday ate;

1 baked chix thigh
some mixed peppers and steak with 1/2 low carb tortilla (3.5carb) two slices of avacado and about 1 TB sourcream
1.5 pork chop with steamed swiss chard and about a 1/4 cup of squash. two small slices of apple for dessert.

I ate more meat at dinner than I needed too--I was at my sister's house socializing etc. and hungry and it tasted so good. At least I didn't drink the red wine she was serving.

I guess my weight loss is showing cuz two different people have told me I look like I've lost weight--very encouraging. I'm not quite down to where I was before the weekend. Boy, I really pay for any small diversion, the big diversions are a killer though so I guess it could be worse...

I don't have any social events until Nov. 12--I'm having a big birthday party for my daughter and my family (brother, wife, kids, mom and dad) are coming to stay the night--will serve dinner to everyone so I will have low carb choices for myself. Cake/ice cream isn't a problem for me or even eating off plan, but eating more than I need and drinking too much is where I need to watch myself.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hope everyone is having a great election day!... :-) make sure you vote, whatever your stripes may be...

scale says 213 today...my goal is set at 215 by thursday, so i'll be satisfied with that, but there's a chance i'll beat that goal...213 would be great, because although it would represent a 5 lb. total loss for this blitz, it's still only a 9 lb. loss since the beginning of july...i've got a lot of catching up to do!...

i'm figuring between now and the end of the year, my goal is 3 maintenance weeks and the rest (6 weeks) i will set a 1 lb. loss as my goal, so if i make 213 this week, my end of year goal will be adjusted from 209 down to 207...i like the way this short-term weekly goal thing is working...

good day so far:
b: skipped it - driving daughter even earlier today
l: chicken leg
s:?
d: ?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, jenny - you're doing great and congrats on the compliments :-)

love your menu - sounds healthy and diverse...i'm proud of you refusing the wine!...wow...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #327

gimme that filet o' fish, gimme that fish.

i rarely go do the commisary at work. But today they had baked tilapia. Unfortunately, it was BREADED. Well, i got a bit of exercise, as the commisary is on the other side of the galaxy. I cannot believe how fast i was able to walk. So, i had a diet hot choc with whipped cream(5 grams). I have a salmon filet in the freezer at home. This is what i am having. if it is not enough, i have a large order of chinese spare ribs (no bbq sauce) to augment. I am not taking any chances of being hungry this time of year. FF
Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #328
Blabbermouth!!!

Today is much better

B veggie, protein powder smoothie, coffee, half/half

L chili, salad w dressing

S. almonds, apple w pnut butter, protein bar (gee, now that I type it, looks like a meal LOL)

Exercise, Leslie Sansone Walking DVD this a.m.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, all, for the birthday wishes!

FF, great advice to marshall the troups here. I've also been using clothes as a barometer. In fact, when I finally realized that I was *really* losing weight (never mind the scale and tape measure) was when I almost walked out of a pair of pants one day. That honestly was the first time it hit me that this was for real. I'm now in my smallest clothes, except for one coat and a few art t-shirts left over from the early 80s.

I took one of Leslie's videos out of the library once, Vicki. It was fun.

Kbeth, I wondered if you might be walking along Chicago's waterfront. I did a 5K there once. Nice view.

Jenny, the price of a smaller size, I guess. Less leeway. You sound like you're doing great.

Happy election day to everybody!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

happy wednesday everyone!...hope you're all doin' well and feeling strong...

vicki, happy to hear you climbed back up on the horse so quickly - great job!...

i'm eating well and feeling good - tomorrow's official weigh-in and i've got a good shot at my 215 goal...was at 214 this morning...i'm convinced my 212 was my dehydrated weight... :-)

for some reason, i'm still in the zone where making good food choices is easy...i think a lot of it has to do with keeping good food choices handy at all times...when i do that, i leave myself no excuse for going off-plan!...

b: approx. 3 oz. grilled chicken
l: nice serving of steamed broccoli
s:?
d: salmon?

see y'all in a bit... :-)
Closed Thread