Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/229.4/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey mama, i haven't been eating so much in the past several days, but i have my periods of portion un-control, so don't give me too much credit...i'm sure i eat more than you do, although chasing around a baby burns a LOT of calories...i've chased 5 of them, so i know...

jenny, i am wicked proud of you, girl...wow!...14 lbs is awesome!...great to be in a groove together... :-)

i love air-popped popcorn drizzled with butter and sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese...i have had it once since april...it CAN become habit-forming...

worried about ff and his mom...see you guys in a bit...

245 244 243 242 241 240 239 238 237 236 235 234 233 232 231 230 229 228 227 226 225 224 223 222 221 220 219 218 217 216 215 214 213 212 211 210 209 208 207 206 205 204 203 202 201 200 199 198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Man, I wrote a long message this morning...and it's not here! Well, getting ready to leave, but I'm doing just fine.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

short, but sweet, kbeth...a little of you is better than none at all... :-) happy to hear you are doin' fine...

a lot of us seem to be in a good place...i had another good day today...all on-plan food...the turkey chili tonight was sooooo delicious...and healthy...i'm feeling very well...

does anyone else wake up really early when they are on-plan?...i've been having more energy, but i'm waking up at like 4 a.m. and i'm alert...wish i could sleep later, but i guess i shouldn't be complaining...

official weigh-in is in the morning and i'm hoping for 216 which is where i've been the last few days...but no matter what the scale says, i'm feeling really good...

wish ff was here and okay...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I am desperately searching for a group so I can be accountable, supported, encouraged etc. And, one where I can be supportive and encourage others. I have looked at several other but they appear to be too clicky or people post wayyyyyy too often. For example, in one day there is 4-5 pages. I don't have time to read through the "chatting". Is this the place? It seems to me that it is. 10 pages this far into the month seems surmountable. What "rules" do you have?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfinchster
Well I think this group is great and sounds alot like what you're looking for, but I'm a little biased, as I've been with this guys almost 6 months.

We don't have "rules" expect what you set for yourself, although I think we all agree that low/lower carb eating is a healthy way of eating, but then again you are on the low carb friends board.

We start a new Blitz every 3 months so we are looking at sustainable longer term goals and our fearless leader is FF. (who hasn't been posting the last 5 days due to some family issues/being out of town...)

Tony is also a big success story of ours and a great contributor. Anyways, welcome to the group and hope we can help you reach your goals!

Jenny
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

hi vicki, i stumbled on this group one week after it started in april, and it has helped me immensely...our leader, ff, is a kind but firm hand at keeping us focused and on-plan - whatever each of our plans happen to be...you can't help but love him and oh, he's not exactly from earth... :-)

as jenny said, there are no rules - it's best when everyone posts as much as they can as it keeps us accountable and connected, but we're all pretty laid back...we encourage and support each other and have become friends, but we're not cliquey and welcome new members warmly and openly, so if you decide to join us, you are instantly one of us... :-)

we have a great group here - some of us just started our commitment in april, some have been doing it for years...some have been here for the whole time and some are recent arrivals - you can't tell the difference by the postings...

jenny's kind remark aside, i am one of the lesser success stories here (she's one of the best ones!) as you'll see if you stick around...but every single one of these people is awesome - i love 'em - and could not have gotten this far without them...

hope you join us...
tony

Last edited by tony8; 10-28-2010 at 05:44 AM..
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

finally decided what's gotta change!

official weigh-in this morning...i settled at 216, so that's a 2-pound drop for the week - and waaaaay overdue...

i've decided that i really like the idea of setting one week goals, for the same reason i weigh-in daily...i think i need a short leash :-) i will still set my total 3-month blitz goals, but will monitor my progress and set one-week goals designed to ultimately achieve my longer-term goals...

so this past week, i set a goal of 216 by thursday and got there...this week, i wanna be at 215 by next thursday, so i will try to do whatever i have to each day this week, to achieve that shorter, more easily-managed goal...i'm guessing i will be happy to maintain during thanksgiving week, christmas week, etc. depending on where i'm at vs. my long term goal...i think this is gonna be good for me and get me the results i want...

i am really learning a lot about myself as well as about nutrition and weight-loss, thanks to you guys and these blitzes...and it is clear to me that if i give myself too much rope (like a three-month goal), i hang myself...it's funny, but i am not like this in other aspects of my life...that kinda lulled me to sleep and deluded me into thinking i was disciplined enough to handle weight-loss the way i do everything else...

NOT SO!...i am now having to admit to myself, that for whatever reason, i am not good at maintaining a healthy diet and weight...period...i need structure and to manage myself in ways i don't have to in any other area of my life - ever...

recognition of that difference has been a revelation to me...and has led to my decision to set shorter goals...thanks for the ideas, guys!...you're sooooooo much help!

Last edited by tony8; 10-28-2010 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Tony it sounds like we have very similair goals, I'm aiming for 1.5lbs a week, but I realize that's pretty ambitious.

Glad to report, I'm down a another pound today for a total of 15lbs since beginning of Sept.!

yesterday ate wild salmon and homemade cesear salad (fresh garlic, lemon juice, anchovies, etc.)

and organic grass fed ribeye steak about 4 oz serving for dinner with a small salad.

I bought a 1/2 cow from a local farmer for the freezer--so I didn't spend a fortune on it, well the 1/2 cow cost alot but if you figure price per pound, not bad at all...

I'm really focusing on eating quality whole foods since I'm eating less--I think my body responds well to it and I know it's good for me. I have also cut out almost all cheese/dairy (had a little parmesean on salad) and nuts. I don't know if it's the higher calories or maybe I'm sensitive to these things, but it seems to be working.

I'm basically eating meat and low carb vegetables with a moderate amount of added fat...

Anyways, I'm happy it's working!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

jenny, that is awesome...i've come around to the same way of thinking and eating that you have...mostly meat, fish and lc veggies...congrats on another pound - you are a weight-losing machine! :-) 15 lbs in less than two months is simply amazing...

today's menu:
b: hard-boiled egg
l: small part-skim mozzarella cheese stick
s: none
d: gonna be grilled chicken and some left-over turkey chili

ff, thinking about ya, bro...
Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I am desperately searching for a group so I can be accountable, supported, encouraged etc. And, one where I can be supportive and encourage others. I have looked at several other but they appear to be too clicky or people post wayyyyyy too often. For example, in one day there is 4-5 pages. I don't have time to read through the "chatting". Is this the place? It seems to me that it is. 10 pages this far into the month seems surmountable. What "rules" do you have?
Just wanted to welcome you!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
Vicki, I'm a fairly recent joinee on the Blitz, and we're a very friendly group.

Jenny, that sounds great. I shop a lot at our local farmers' and tailgate markets.

Tony and Jenny, I take my hat off to you if you can eat a little popcorn and not dive into a bowl or box of it. That is one of those things I am just as well not keeping in the house.

I hit 229.5 today, and I'm thrilled with that. Definitely on the "downhill" side now, less to still lose than I have already lost. Hitting my goal feels more real now that I am in my 220's, for whatever reason.
Wt Loss in 2009: 18 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2010: 42 lbs.
Wt Loss in 2011: 6.5 lbs.
Inches lost around waist: 15
Hit 100-Pounds-Lost Mark on 7/22/10
Old 10-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #282
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the welcome all, count me in.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
welcome, vicki! i'm pretty new too, but think that this is a great group.

tony, sounds like a plan! i think small manageable goals is a great idea. and they all lead up to meeting the big goal.

i'm down another pound this week as well, which means i'm only 5 pounds from my goal. i intend to get there nice and slow and have an idea about my CCLM , as atkins desribes in his book.

by the way tony, this is what i ate today!
breakfast: green smoothie (2 cups greens, 2 stalks celery, 1/3 cucumber, few drops stevia and tablespoon flax seed oil) and 2 eggs
lunch: salmon filet in butter and garlic, kale with olive oil, T coconut oil with cinnamon
dinner: 3 eggs (guess it was an egg day), kale with flaxseed oil, salad with olive oil, 2 T freshly ground flax seed with cinnamon

oh well, i guess if keeping calories up is workng, i'll keep doing it. i know if i don't eat enough i crave sugar/starch and i definitely want to avoid that. i love popcorn the same way y'all make it,but i don't think i could ever control a portion of it! maybe one day...

the computer screen is staring to blur. think it' s time for bed.

oh, one last thing, jenny, the 1/2 cow from the local farmer sounds awesome. where do you live?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

welcome vicki!...great to have you here!

mama, that is so cool that you are sooo close...5 lbs. is virtually there...great job!...and great menu too...thanks for sharing...

mama and shadows - i can't do popcorn at all - i have no willpower to stop as evidenced by my movie digression last weekend...so, i'm with ya...jenny has more control than i do :-)

shadows, congratulations on your loss and getting over halfway to goal!...that is GREAT!

maggie, so good to see you...
Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #285
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Greetings, fellow Blitz III HEWMONS, FF is back.

As u may have guessed, Mom passed away. So, it is still a bit unreal. I am at work today, but I will be on Jury duty on Mon Nov 1. I missed almost a whole week of work, and will ask the judge for a postponement. The one constant is that i stayed on plan. I read about the popcorn incident. guilt is a very fattening emotion. Unless u murdered someone under the influence, u have nothing to feel guilty about. However, what have u learned about the incident? How will u deal with temptation (and temptation is always just around the bend)the next time it happens? I am sure u do not hit on every HEWMON female u meet in life, especially if they are out of range (married, or too young or both) Think of off-plan foods in that vein, perhaps. But u must have on-plan alternatives when the mood hits. i have my SWISS MISS DIET hot chocolate when my colleagues at work are popping their popcorn. You must have an antidote handy when the enemy is at the gates. FF
Old 10-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
So glad to see you, FF. And I am sorry to hear about your mother. Even though you knew it was coming, it doesn't necessarily make it easier. I am also proud of you that you stayed on plan. I remember when my Mom passed, there were casseroles and baked goods, etc. The crazy blood sugar didn't help in handling her death, that's for sure.

Welcome Vicki! Glad to have you.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

ff, i am so, so sorry about your mom...i was right where you are 4 years ago, so i know what you're going through...it is a profoundly sad and life-altering experience to lose your mother - for me, it was my last parent, which made it even tougher, if that is possible...i felt like i had lost my connection to the planet - to the people who really loved me when i came into this world...the hurt does change over time to an even deeper love and appreciation for your parents...but it's not easy...if there's anything i can do, please let me know... if you ever wanna talk...
tony
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #288
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Thanks for your kindness and compassion!!!

I am a fairly well grounded ET emotionally, Tony. However, i will call as soon as I get organized. On the subject of post funeral food at the house, there were plenty of choices...solid & liquid. They see, now, how serious I am about my plan, and are doing their best to accommodate my needs. If anyone asks would you like some of this or that? I just say NO THANKS. Although I expected her to go very soon, still...when it happens, one is NOT truly prepared. What DID come as a surprise, was how deep I had to dig into my pocket to help defray the funeral costs. I had to liquidate some of my retirement account. But, it was necessary. She is with my step-father now, and i am sure she is having a great time. FF
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

ff, definitely call me sometime...who knows?...maybe we go from earth to ferenginar after all this...as i said before, all i know is that she raised a good boy and i'm sure that gave her comfort...

btw, you were right about the popcorn fiasco...i did learn from it and it changed my approach - shorter goals and more attention to keeping good alternatives in the house...

i'm happy to hear that folks accept and understand your commitment to this woe - they must see the change and i'm sure that reinforces the idea that it's good for you...way to stick to it during this difficult time...
Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
As u may have guessed, Mom passed away. So, it is still a bit unreal. I am at work today, but I will be on Jury duty on Mon Nov 1. I missed almost a whole week of work, and will ask the judge for a postponement. The one constant is that i stayed on plan. I read about the popcorn incident. guilt is a very fattening emotion. Unless u murdered someone under the influence, u have nothing to feel guilty about. However, what have u learned about the incident? How will u deal with temptation (and temptation is always just around the bend)the next time it happens? I am sure u do not hit on every HEWMON female u meet in life, especially if they are out of range (married, or too young or both) Think of off-plan foods in that vein, perhaps. But u must have on-plan alternatives when the mood hits. i have my SWISS MISS DIET hot chocolate when my colleagues at work are popping their popcorn. You must have an antidote handy when the enemy is at the gates. FF
Sorry for your loss I lost my mother to cancer when she was 47 years old so I know the pain. Good to know you stayed on plan and am inspired by you that you handled such an emotional event without eating off plan. You are right to always have on plan foods and having SF Hot Chocolate is something I use now than turnning to non lc foods. Take care.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCShadows View Post
Vicki, I'm a fairly recent joinee on the Blitz, and we're a very friendly group.

Jenny, that sounds great. I shop a lot at our local farmers' and tailgate markets.

Tony and Jenny, I take my hat off to you if you can eat a little popcorn and not dive into a bowl or box of it. That is one of those things I am just as well not keeping in the house.

I hit 229.5 today, and I'm thrilled with that. Definitely on the "downhill" side now, less to still lose than I have already lost. Hitting my goal feels more real now that I am in my 220's, for whatever reason.
Exciting to hear this LCShadows! Way to go on plan!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCShadows
Stats: High: 349/CW 222.5/Goal 120
WOE: LC whole foods - no sugar, grain, dairy
Start Date: LC 7/11/08
FF, so sorry to hear about your loss. Your strength in staying with WOE at this time is awesome. It is easy to see why you are our Fearless Leader: your questions and advice are so wise.

Mama, congrats on your loss. Your menu sounds very fresh and healthy.

Maggie and Tony, thanks for your words of encouragement. I measured this morning (I try to do it once a month) and found I've lost another inch from around the waist, for a total of 15 inches lost in that one measurement. Even more than weight, that number has mattered to me. It (along with blood pressure) is the surest indicator of health. Long before I set any weight target, I set a "waist" target.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

wow, shadows - that is soo good!...congrats, girl!

note: the moderator sent me a private message explaining that he/she edited my post and pulled my phone number "for my safety" due to the possibility lurkers might abuse it...i wasn't concerned as my contact info is all over the net as a songwriter...but that's okay...

anyway, i sent it to ff in a pm - if anyone else ever wants it, just pm me...

i didn't even know you could pm on here! :-)

Last edited by tony8; 10-29-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

FF-I'm so sorry for your loss. You are to be comended for your dedication to your way of eating, it goes to show this can work in any circumstance. You are truely a Star Blitzer!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony8 View Post
wow, shadows - that is soo good!...congrats, girl!

note: the moderator sent me a private message explaining that he/she edited my post and pulled my phone number "for my safety" due to the possibility lurkers might abuse it...i wasn't concerned as my contact info is all over the net as a songwriter...but that's okay...

anyway, i sent it to ff in a pm - if anyone else ever wants it, just pm me...

i didn't even know you could pm on here! :-)
Tony I wrote it down so I could play a Halloween prank on you, just kidding I could see where the concern would be. I saw a movie when I was younger where someone kept calling a home and saying "I know what you did and I know who you are!" These were teenagers playing a prank on someone, needless to say the person who answered the phone had just committed a "murder" so he spent the whole night tracking the teenagers down and of course found them and gave them the scare of their lives. Alright, enough of scarey movies. Are you taking the kiddos Trick or Treating? Have a good LC weekend! my emoticon costume!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #296
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. My goal for now is to stay away from concentrated carbs. Over the summer I had snuck back into bread, crackers, candy etc. When I started back to work in Sept. (I am an educator) I started snacking on the snack bowl on the secretaries' counter and in the break room on Fridays. So, for now, I want to eliminate those things.

I also have a tendency to graze and would like to get that under control. Then, I will start tweaking more. For today, I have only had pumpkin seeds as a snack but on plan with breakfast and lunch

Breakfast: greek yogurt, cauliflower, carrots, celery, parsley, apple, protein powder, stevia blended.

Lunch: turkey vegetable soup, salad, EVOO, ACV

Supper is going to be chili and veggies. Maybe an apple w pnut butter, herbal tea.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

LOL, maggie - that's funny...i'm a songwriter, so like i said, my number is posted on music sites all over the web - lurkers have pretty easy access to me if they want it... :-)

btw, my youngest is 14, so i'm not sure he'll want to trick-or-treat this year...it's sad to think that last year may have been my last year filling the back of my truck with straw and taking his friends and him around the local neighborhoods... :-(

good to see you jenny!

hi vicki, i'm a grazer in the evening...lately, i've at least been grazing on healthy, LC snacks...pretty feet, btw...lol...
Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

You seem like such a great dad Tony--kids are so much fun but I'm pretty sure having five would have exhausted me!

BTW I'm down another lb today--this is really working for me all of a sudden!

Today ate
hard boiled egg--almond milk
grilled chicken breast, cucumber, raspberries, a couple bites of apple
small steak salad with blue cheese dressing and avacado
alot of tea
Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
ff, i am so sorry for you loss. congrats on your commitment to staying cleanthough. as kbeth said, the carby food would not help in the mourning process.

shadows and jenny, congrats on the pounds and inches!

tony, you do seem like a great dad - hayrides with the neighbors?!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

jenny, i'm so happy about how great you are doing!...what's that? - 16 pounds now?...wow!...keep doing exactly what you're doing...looking at your menu yesterday, it seems perfect to me - balanced and healthy...i think having a couple of slices of apple and avocado, etc. gets you the fiber and vitamins you need to be healthy, gives you that tiny taste of something sweet and healthy fat...

mama, good to see you!...you are like, AT GOAL...120-something seems like a perfect weight for a woman your height...i bet you feel good... congrats!... :-)

thanks to both of you on the "good dad" compliments...i have had a pretty successful career, but my kids have always come first...i figured i brought them into the world and once i did that, i became responsible for setting them up to live a happy life...

i coached them in sports, took them on trips, helped them at school and most of all loved them...i'm a very maternal father - i must have hugged and kissed them and told them i loved them 50 times a day their whole lives and i still do, whenever they are within reach or earshot... :-)

they are all great kids - every one has made national honor society, never used drugs, the oldest 4 are either in college now or have graduated from college with honors, and best of all, they are good people and love each other - the five of them are best friends...

they are the most important thing to me and i'm very proud of them...i can honestly say that even if i could, i would not change one thing about any of them... :-)

sorry to go on so long about that!

i had a great day again yesterday...all you guys are inspiring me...it's great when we are all doing well in our woe at the same time, isn't it...

b: hard-boiled egg
l: a couple of slices of roasted turkey
s: about ten corn nuts
d: a few buffalo wings

i'm determined to hit my new weekly goals...gonna be disciplined until i see 215 flash on that scale this week and then try to maintain it til next thursday...i think this is gonna work!...

Last edited by tony8; 10-30-2010 at 06:02 AM..
Closed Thread