Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GennieF
Stats: restarting the restart
WOE: Atkins variation
Start Date: restarting yet again
Two shakes and a meal! March 2010

Are you ready to "shake" things up? This is the spot to post accountability for those doing two shakes and a meal. You can use any type of ready to drink shake or powdered protein shake, it's up to you how you want to do things! Come join us if you're trying to "shake" off some of those pounds or just using this as an easy way to maintain.

Need some ideas on how to flavor your shakes? Check this out!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...st-thread.html

Last edited by GennieF; 03-01-2010 at 07:03 AM..
GennieF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Okay...here's my plan of attack for the new day, going to have two basic shakes with "no goodies" (fruit, cottage cheese, etc.) but just 1 ounce of cream and a scoop of whatever, thinking peanut butter chocolate since I have that 5 lb tub. Dinner I'm thinking is going to be some type of roast and caesar salad. UUUGH getting back into the groove is hardest, I'm not as stressed as I was though so at least that'll help!!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: LC my way & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 1/4/14
Gennie~ It is hard trying to get back into a groove If you feel like "cheating" or losing your grip...post here first and we'll talk you down You CAN do it!

I just had my morning coffee shake. MMM... I sure missed my shakes this last week. I couldn't drink em after I got hit with the stomach flu I have been sticking to diet ginger ale and scrambled eggs. Feeling much better...I may even be able to exercise today
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Oh my gosh! Gennie girl! We missed you! I was hoping you were ok. Glad to see you back!
jamistar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovemygrands
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restarted 5-5-14 at 192 pounds
Hello Gennie & Lisa! I'm so glad today is a new month. There's just something about a clean calendar that gives me hope I will stay on track.

Gennie -- I was getting worried about you. Glad to see you.
Lisa -- hope that awful stomach junk is behind you.

I need you skinny girls to give me motivation. I've been skipping breakfast (I know, shame on me) I'm going to go make my shake right now!
lovemygrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Jami -- we were posting at the same time. You're another skinny girl I need for motivation. My weight is the same (what else is new), but my jeans felt a little snugger yesterday. What's up with that!!!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygrands View Post
Jami -- we were posting at the same time. You're another skinny girl I need for motivation. My weight is the same (what else is new), but my jeans felt a little snugger yesterday. What's up with that!!!
Oh brother! I never know why those jeans mysteriously get tight! That is one thing that drives me crazy!!
I'll just list what everyone else says
too much sodium
water weight
TOM. Yada Yada Yada. LOL Violin playing in the back ground! LOL I shouldn't say that. We all are just trying to make each other feel better LOL
It is discouraging when you try so hard and don't see anything.
I am going to say that Nutrition IS 80% of it. Exercise will follow... I wish I knew proper nutrition 5 years ago. I wouldn't have wasted so much time at the gym.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Um........ thanks for the compliment Jami!!! TOM quit visiting me quite a few years ago! Actually, a lot of years ago because I had a hysterectomy at 35. At least all you young chicks have something to blame the monthly weight on! I'm just hanging out there all by myself.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jadedheart17
Stats: 362/352/299
Start Date: January 1, 2010
Newbie help please!

I am so glad I found this thread! I have questions that I hope you all can answer.

I have done Atkins in the past and lost a lot of weight but I got scared about adding carbs back and eventually totally fell off the wagon and gained the weight back.

More recently I have attempted low carb and the problem I have is not wanting food or being too lazy to cook. I like quick an easy which ends up leading me to fast food So I got it in my head that I would do better if I could drink my meals, sort of like a slim fast thing only with slim fast, when I tried that years ago it never kept me full. So I started looking around for a low carb protein shake.

I found the Isopure low carb shake mix on netrition and I ordered it. I just got it today. It has 50 grams of protein per 2 scoop serving. My first shake I only used 1 scoop because I thought 50 grams of protein sounded like alot of protein for one meal, the taste was fine, not all that sweet but I can live with that.

I have been trying to get answers to a few questions...first of all, is this safe? Most of the protein powders say use to supplement not for weightloss, I am sure that is mostly their own little disclaimer so they aren't held accountable but is there any real harm in replacing meals with these shakes?

Another big question I have is about the 50 grams of protein per serving...is that too much for a meal, is it okay to cut that in half. The main thing I want is to feel full without overdoing it?

Please, just any info and tips about this I really want to know. I have googled like crazy but mostly I just find stuff about body building and weightlifting. So any advice is greatly appreciated!
jadedheart17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome jadedheart!! I am no expert but I think I can answer some of your questions. I started Atkins induction in September and lost 10 pounds and then pretty much stuck. I had seen a thread about losing belly fat and it was a new diet Dr. Eades (of Protein Power fame) had and it called for doing two shakes and a LC meal a day. It went on to other things, but I tried that and it broke my stall and I have lost another 10 pounds. My scale isn't moving so much now, but I am shrinking in size, so that is a good thing. Everyone on this thread does their shakes differently. Scrappychik (Lisa) uses the Atkins pre-made shakes (talk about easy, that's about as easy as you can get) I think she does 2 shakes and a LC meal a day. She has done great. I do the Designer's Whey powder twice a day and then a LC meal once. Sometimes I do three shakes. I have found if I don't add a couple of tablespoons of Heavy Whipping Cream to my shake, they will not keep me full. The fat is what helps. Also usually on one shake a day I add a raw egg and that also helps keep you full. I almost always use two scoops of protein powder. I don't think that's too much protein. I still always have a meal with chicken or beef once a day, too. In fact I add the egg partly to get in more protein.

For me having the shakes just makes this whole thing easier. I was stressing out over what in the world am I going to eat and would end up eating nothing and then I wasn't losing any weight. There's another thread -- Lisa can link it for you when she sees this (she's more computer savvy than me) -- and it has tons of ideas for shakes to try. Some people add cream cheese to their shakes or cottage cheese or even sugarfree peanut butter. I buy the DaVinci's syrup in different flavors and add that to my shakes to sweeten them up a little.

I'm sorry this post was so rambling. I am in a hurry to type it as I have to get to an appointment. Stick around and post often. This is a great group. Good luck to you.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much Meeme! I didn't even think of adding heavy cream to the shake, I have a ton of it in the fridge and have been wondering what to use it for.

I definitely think this is the method that will work for me because I hate to cook! It's okay every once in a while but cooking three meals a day is just tedious and time consuming an like you I ho and hum about what to eat. Most days I will just not eat until I am starving and desperate for food and I run to the nearest fast food window! This morning I woke up, my package was already here so I immediately made my shake and I feel satisfied and full and no desire to run off to get fast food or any food. I do plan to pick up a rotisserie chicken for dinner later from the store.

I am curious as to how you all count your carbs. The shake mix I have is 3 carbs per serving and 2 fibers...do you all count net carbs when doing the shakes?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I subtract the fiber from the carbs. The Designer's Whey I use is 3.0 carbs and .5 fiber so I count 2.5. There are some lower carb count ones out there, but I just like the taste of this one.

Are you a coffee drinker? The heavy cream in coffee with a little Splena or DaVinci's syrup is wonderful.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Nope, not a coffee drinker at all, I have tried a few times but I don't care for it although I do like cold coffee frap type drinks like the cold starbucks drinks you can get at the store.

This is the first time I bought any type of protein shake mix. After the sticker shock from the price of these products I sort of went with what was cheapest while fitting what I was looking for (low carb, high protein). I do wish there was more fiber though, maybe I could add flax or something for that. The isopure has 3 carbs and 2 fibers.

I have used the Atkins shakes before but they were only filling for an hour or two and then I wanted to eat. I think the isopure has significantly more protein though so I am hoping to have better luck with this!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Wanted to check in last night but thigns got SO BUSY! Stayed on plan, yay! Wasn't hard...it's amazing how full you get eating a smaller portion of low carb versus high carb pasta, etc. We had roast and caesar salad. Gotta plan today's meal yet, but keeping fingers crossed I can keep at it!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jaded, welcome! I only count net carbs for my shakes, and me personally I started off using two scoops in my shakes but then ended up cutting back to only one because I wasn't losing as well. Your mileage may vary though!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Meeme~ Darn it! Well, there goes the TOM excuse! You had a Hyst at 35?? I guess you needed it, but dang... Well, now that I think about it, I have had some patients that have had Hyst when they were in there 30's.. Mostly it was due to fibroids or early Menopause symptoms that were wreaking havoc on them.

Welcome Jadedheart!!

Gennie! You can do it girl!!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ColaGoblin
Stats: 195/188/150
Start Date: January 2010
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum but not new to low carbing. Just decided to start on the shake plan yesterday so this looks like the perfect challenge thread.day

I ordered a bunch online yesterday so I can't wait until they come.

Hope you are all doing well today!
ColaGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Meeme~ Thanks for helping newbies yesterday...my internet service stopped working.... after I got done exercising, I couldn't get back on Tummy troubles seem to be over now...thank goodness!!!

Jami~ Are you still rockin' the new plan? Is your appetite under control? Keep your eye on the prize!

Gennie~ MMM dinner sounds like it was good and satisfying. KUTGW! Oh and Meeme mentioned the shake recipes thread...can you post the link...I just don't know where that thread is located. Thanks.

jaded and cola! I count "net" carbs.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI Lisa, YES!! I love my new plan. I have started to eat more calories, my metabolism has increased I think that was making me more hungry. Once I added more calories, 1500 now, I am much better.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
HI Lisa, YES!! I love my new plan. I have started to eat more calories, my metabolism has increased I think that was making me more hungry. Once I added more calories, 1500 now, I am much better.
Smart move! That's why I exercise...it allows me to consume more cals and still have a deficit

I'm drinking my morning coffee shake now...got my WO gear on...just gotta decide what to do. Yesterday I did all over body WO with weights and everything is sore...that's what happens when you take too much time off BBL...
Old 03-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Hi Kate, what kind of shakes did you get?

Thanks Jami, you guys gotta help give me strength!! Once I'm back in the groove it'll be easy-peasy....here's to sticking with it! What's your new plan?

Lisa, I'm not sure but I think she may be referring to that link in the first post, it's the great American Shake thread or something along those lines, a ton of recipes!

I'm already starting to de-bloat but I'm not getting anywhere near the scale for a bit, I don't want to see the number and get depressed and have an adverse effect. Doing this works so not even going to worry about a number at the moment.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh I see it there in the first post now, Gennie...Thanks! I agree...stay off the scale...you know it isn't gonna make you happy right now, so just concentrate on following your plan for now.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gennie. I am doing body for life. It is a 12 week National Fitness challenge/competition. You can be a winner over all, or just in age group. $25K for overall winner, and $10k for age group winners. Even in I dont place, it will get me primed for figure/fitness competitions.
I eat about 100ish carbs a day now hehe 6 meals a day. 50p./30c/20f Every meal has an equal carb and protein(almost) I make it more complicated than it is, but I love that for some reason. It's working. SInce I started eating those complex carbs, like oatmeal, sweet taders etc.. I started losing fat. All of a sudden in 2 weeks my size 8's almost got too big for me I wish I would have found this 3 years ago.

Did you go completely off plan?? Are you starting over from scratch now?? You'll be fine! I have gotten to know you over the past few months and you are a very determined person. I know that you'll get back to plan and be successful!!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

WooHoo -- another convert to our shake plan! Welcome Kate.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Meeme~ Are you counting your steps today? I liked the goals you set for this month. I can't wait till you reach those 10,000...I will def be dancing for you

I did my WATP Walk Strong dvd. 2 miles walking with strength training segments in between...I feel so good! What a difference from being hospitalized last week. Thanking God for good health
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, I walked 6,512 steps yesterday. It almost killed me. I'm not sure this stepping really counts though. On another thread people that are doing steps just say they only count their steps when they are actually "walking for exercise" like on the treadmill or outside. I count it all. I put that pedometer on as soon as my feet hit the floor and don't take it off until I go to bed. If I'm cooking supper, I'm stepping up and down while I'm stirrin' the pot. So, that may not count as real exercise, but it has at least got me thinking about moving my body more.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Ummm IDK what those other crazy people are thinking...steps are steps...I say you take credit for em all!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Now if I could just figure out how to take steps and do my transcription typing at the same time, I'd have it made!!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

I already had 2 shakes...supper will most likely be a salad. I will be out and about this evening.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ColaGoblin
Stats: 195/188/150
Start Date: January 2010
Hi Gennie - I got Atkins, the ready-to-drink kind. I find they taste creamier and less sweet than EAS. I know it's a bit more expensive but I need my shakes portable so I can take them into university each day for lunch.

I love your approach to the scales. I wish I could break my weighing habit, but I find I go into denial if I don't weigh regularly.

Thanks for the welcome Meeme!

My shakes arrive today - I can't wait!
ColaGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote