Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
~~A Clean Slate~~ New Challenge for a fresh start!

Hi all!

My darling friend Linda (DENMW) and I were talking the other day about how we wanted to start over.....

I'm sick of trying to "improve" upon the past by ruminating over all my mistakes, regressions, failures-- how I "could have been at goal" by now had I worked hard enough for it, etc. No more coulda, shoulda, wouldas.... this is a new group, a new day, and a chance to start over without dwelling on what could have been.

This is part of our clean slate.

Anyone is welcome to join, and there are no strict rules except that we're looking for kind, somewhat chatty people who are ready to do this *for good*, despite a history of not always succeeding. The past is the past!

So, introduce yourself, and join us!

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Great idea Sam. My eating has gotten a bit sloppy and I would like to make it clean again. So, I am in.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Let's tighten the reigns, Santa's comin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Great idea Sam. My eating has gotten a bit sloppy and I would like to make it clean again. So, I am in.
I agree Vicki. We can all do a little better and HAVE DONE better. So, Let's do it ladies and gents too if you're lurking. We could use some men around here for a change.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Linda- Glad to hear you're doing well... even with dealing with Jasmine.

Vicki- Despite your "sloppy" eating you seem to be maintaining very well! Good for you!

I'm also doing pretty well. In ketosis... though the scale isn't being extremely kind yet. It's snowing here, and bleak, and I'm going to go out tonight to maintain being social. Otherwise I think I might coop up in my apartment until I have some obligatory event to go to, and that isn't until Friday.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HotMommy
Stats: 5'8 175/127/120-133
WOE: LC primal
Start Date: About 5 years ago
Hello everyone
I would like to join!
I have been doing Atkins for a long time now, but recently I started experimenting with calorie cycling and allowing a extra high calorie day and well today was a low calorie day and I just ate half a homemade cheesecake...no doubt because I was half starved 2 hours after dinner.
I think I need to restart fresh and go back to the Atkins basics.
I mean, I have so many toughts running through my head at any given moment: Calories, carbs, unhealthy fat, sweeteners, fear of common "stallers", workouts, water intake...it's just too much!
I want to start counting carbs and try not to focus so intently on calories and all that other stuff. Just good clean veggies and meat. Starting in the Morning.
May I join?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Rebecca--

Please DO join! I totally know what you mean about being bombarded with information and not being able to focus on one specific thing. I think simplifying with meat & LC veggies is a great idea... it's often easier toadd onthan it is to take away.

So welcome!

I would not do well with any sort of cheesecake in my house :blush: if it tastes like the real thing, I eat it as though it were the real thing!

Also... Just want to add, I visited Oregon this summer as I'm considering moving there, and I loved it loved it loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMommy View Post
Hello everyone
I would like to join!
I have been doing Atkins for a long time now, but recently I started experimenting with calorie cycling and allowing a extra high calorie day and well today was a low calorie day and I just ate half a homemade cheesecake...no doubt because I was half starved 2 hours after dinner.
I mean, I have so many toughts running through my head at any given moment: Calories, carbs, unhealthy fat, sweeteners, fear of common "stallers", workouts, water intake...it's just too much!
I want to start counting carbs and try not to focus so intently on calories and all that other stuff. Just good clean veggies and meat. Starting in the Morning.
May I join?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Rebecca, I know what you mean. I have been allowing more higher carby and junky foods since getting to goal: popcorn weekly or more often ARGH, the nasty chemical laden SF candy like Russel Stovers, LC tortillas which despite being LC are a trigger food for me . . . . etc. Count me in today!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMommy View Post
Hello everyone
I would like to join!
May I join?
Absolutely you can join Rebecca.

I know what you mean also about thinking of too many things. It makes me dizzy. Keeping thing simple definitely helps me too. Give me too many choices and I'm off and running in the wrong direction.

to everyone. Just a quick check in to say I'm totally on plan and plan to have a good day. Gotta run now but I'll check back later.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Hi everyone!

I'm in - thanks for the PM Linda!

Right now I'm working hard to survive the holidays. As mentioned, I'm watching portions and calories in December.

Went to the gym last night and worked out with my trainer. I'm glad to be back to doing that again.

I have a lot of goals of the New Year - don't we all. As always, there will be a couple that I keep and that's a good thing!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

I can't get my front door open: 3-4 ft snow drift. I think I can make it out the back garage door. My big garage door is running on one pulley and cable since the other spring broke yesterday. It is blowing like the dickens here, so I am not going to shovel until later this afternoon. Hence, this is a snow day. I think for most people in Iowa.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Ick! Vicki! That sounds terrible! Chicago is getting snow but nothing like that!

I woke up and am ~181. I feel very ambivalent about this; on the one hand I have maintained a loss (which is hard for me to do), but on the other hand, I may not lose anything from the past month. How proud of "maintaining" should one be when they *could* be losing?

Yesterday was a lazy, depressing day-- probably because I barely did anything except go out for a few beers last night. Before I went to bed I made a massive "to-do" list to keep myself occupied today. So far I worked out (barely, 1.5 miles in 20 minutes).

Linda-- Hope you're having a good day! I believe you said you aren't doing GS, in which case, what plan are you doing now?

PS: Is it sad that I'm putting "watch The Biggest Loser finale" on my to-do list? I didn't watch the season, but I really want to see all the before & afters!

Last edited by Samantha42; 12-09-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gibby, glad you joined us.
Vicki, snow - nice, shovelling?? yuck. I remember that all too well.
Sam, beers = 181. Don't fear, tomorrow you'll be down Maintaining is much better than gaining so go with it and then you WILL lose again.

As far as what plan I'm on, I'm putting a hold on GS right now but will stick close to the plan. Right now I'm watching carbs and calories. But I need to get a little more structure. So, tonight I'll write down my food for tomorrow and stick with it. If I leave myself out there without a meal plan, I may not binge but I'll tend to graze.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tightening the reigns today

Hi everyone,
I found myself staying lowcarb yesterday but grazing a bit and I don't want to get back into that habit. So for today, I'm doing 3 shakes and a lowcarb dinner and that's it.

M1 - 1 EAS shake
M2 - coffee latte (1 scoop Jay Rob's PP, 1 T CO, coffee, splash of Davinci's Amaretto) another cup of coffee w/2T half N half
M3 - 1 Atkins vanilla shake, 1/2 cp. pumpkin, 1 T chia seeds
M4 - chicken wings, stirfry veggies, romaine & cucumber salad, Greek salad dressing, 1 T evoo

minimum of 64 oz. of water
Calories - 1348
Carbs - 38
Fiber - 18
Protein - 118

Fat -53%
Protein - 35%
Carbs - 11%

So, that's my plan and I'm planning on sticking to it

What's your plan for today?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Still 181! Actually I think the beer may have dehydrated me, and I would have been worse in weight yesterday Who knows?!

Linda-- Your plan looks good! Are you in ketosis? I was reading about glycemic index the other day (which I don't generally believe), and it said that pumpkin was high on the list.... which makes me a very unhappy camper, as I have about 15 cans in my cabinets and I'm afraid to eat them! How does it work for you?

Gibby-- I delayed my Phoenix trip to January, but I'll let you know when I'm coming!

Rebecccccca-- Come back!

I had a much better day yesterday, probably related to the fact that I kept myself very busy and entertained with others. Had a "funny" moment which showed just how different I am than my friends:

A friend came over to watch a TV show (Jersey Shore, which is hilarious if you're into reality TV).... afterwards it was about 5:30pm and I offered to make him dinner. So he asks, what are his options?

This is when it's very funny, because I start rattling off options in all seriousness and he thinks I'm joking--- Sirloin steak w/ blue cheese crust, sauteed yellow squash and mushrooms? Or squash and mushroom omelette with goat cheese? Or bacon wrapped scallops?

I am being completely serious, but this guy hasn't had a meal without a coke and some form of chips/fries since he was a child, I'm sure. I had zero "snack" foods available. I'm just different. It's funny, but also annoying. I wish I had more people to eat this way with!!! Though I felt very gourmet

Ended up with the steak, and I ate a TON TON. I could so easily do this for the rest of my life if I never had to eat in restaurants, work, or other people's houses. It's there that I slip up.

Leaving tomorrow for an interview... but I'll be back Saturday. Hopefully their dinner and lunch are low carb friendly. I'm pretty sick of being at the mercy of other people, but at least I'll go into the event in ketosis, which always helps.

I'm babbling. Your turns
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Sam, good luck on your interview. We'll miss you. Blue cheese crusted steak? please share the recipe. That sounds wonderful! I'm not in ketosis but pumpkin is so healthy that I don't want to give it up. In the book Superfooods Rx the author says that you should consume 1/2 cp. pumpkin every day. I also make a killer sausage pumpkin soup that I just love. I'm a little hungry right now and I'm doing some cleaning and trying to get motivated to put my Christmas tree up. I have the bottom half in the stand right now but decided I needed a break. I'm having a diet Dr. Pepper right now and have drank over 40 oz. of water already. I'm spacing out my shakes and plan to have my last shake about 3:30pm and my dinner about 6:30pm then kitchen closed. I'll check back later and then I work tomorrow so I won't be here in the morning.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey all!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post
I also make a killer sausage pumpkin soup that I just love.
This sounds familiar - did you give us the recipe before, or did I see it on another thread? Any way, can you post the recipe for us?

Thanks!

All's well on this end.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse View Post
Hey all!
Heyyyy, good to see you here.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
This sounds familiar - did you give us the recipe before, or did I see it on another thread? Any way, can you post the recipe for us?

Thanks!

All's well on this end.
You may have seen the sausage pumpkin soup somewhere else but here is what I do. I brown some sausage or chicken sausage enough for one portion, I sometimes add 1 T coconut oil, and add about 1/2 tsp. cumin and 1/4 -1/2 tsp. curry powder, a dash of ground red pepper and cook the seasoning a bit then add onion flakes and I like to add 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic, then add about 1/2 cp. water or chicken broth (i used to make it with chicken broth but found that water works just as well. Then I add 1 cp. pumpkin and simmer a bit and adjust with water if I need more liquid and stir and simmer a few minutes and add milk towards the end. You can use any milk (I sometimes use coconut milk or almond milk or skim milk). I usually make just one serving.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quick checkin to bookend my day. Clean slate and clean plate I had more wings than I planned to but kitchen is closed. I'm working tomorrow so I'll be getting to bed earlier tonight. I'm not sure what my menu will be tomorrow but I have several things to take with me. This is the office that always ha tons of goodies so I'd better get prayed up before I go.

Hope everyone had a good day.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF! Well, it's office Christmas party day! I have my Christmas ornament earrings on and am blinged out.

The luncheon is being catered and I have no idea what is being served. I'm glad I opted to watch calories and portions for this month.

Everyone have a great day. I'll TTYL!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: extraordinary
Stats: 230/218/165 or a size 8 @ 6'1"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9.3.11 - it's a perpetual process
Hi everyone . I've come back to low carb after about year away. It took that long for me to realize that I need to make this my WOE for the rest of my life.

I've been eating on plan since 12.1.09 and have lost 10lbs.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraordinary View Post
Hi everyone . I've come back to low carb after about year away. It took that long for me to realize that I need to make this my WOE for the rest of my life.

Congratulations on the 10 pound weight loss. Especially during the holiday season!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, Sheena, what a great re-start.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Go Sheena! And welcome!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
TGIF! Well, it's office Christmas party day! I have my Christmas ornament earrings on and am blinged out.

The luncheon is being catered and I have no idea what is being served. I'm glad I opted to watch calories and portions for this month.

Everyone have a great day. I'll TTYL!
Have a WONDERFUL time blinb bling girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraordinary View Post

WTG Sheena, 10 lb? oh yeah and WELCOME sorry, I go carried away with the weight loss.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, true confessions.........they say confession is good for the soul so here goes. On Friday I had an all out binge. Liz and I were just talking that it has been a long time since I really binged. Then, I go to work at the office that has huge catered meals all the time by drug reps and I had my lowcarb shakes but I gave in to temptation. I started out not too bad with the chicken even though it was lightly breaded stuffed with spinach and feta, sautteed veggies and salad but then I not only gave IN to dessert, I DOVE IN to the dessertS. So today I had a training session for work with 2 cardio classes (that I could hardly keep up with, wonder why with all that sugar in my system) and a Bodypump class. I just weighed AFTER dinner and it wasn't pretty. So, my plan is to stay on track tonight, kitchen closed and weigh in in the morning and adjust my stats accordingly. I just hope I'm still in the 160's

Sam, how did the interview go?

Vicki, miss quiet one, hope your reigns are tighter than mine. How's it going?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rebecccaaaaaaa, where are you?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK everyone let's not start getting quiet again. I got on the scale this morning after two days of loose eating and it's not good. I'm not updating my stats until I have a few good days under my belt. I didn't get into sugar yesterday but had a day of grazing and eating salty foods. I woke up even feeling puffy this morning. I knew before I got on the scale that the number was not going to be good but I had to give myself a wakeup call before I undo all the good I've done in the last month and a half. Have a good day.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: extraordinary
Stats: 230/218/165 or a size 8 @ 6'1"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9.3.11 - it's a perpetual process
Still here and holding steady at 209. I haven't had a loss in a few days but the hubby did say he that my face seemed thinner and my tummy (my problem area) seemed flatter so I'll take it. I'm hoping for a whoosh soon.
Closed Thread