Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraordinary View Post
Still here and holding steady at 209. I haven't had a loss in a few days but the hubby did say he that my face seemed thinner and my tummy (my problem area) seemed flatter so I'll take it. I'm hoping for a whoosh soon.
Holding steady is good. I'm sure you will have a whoosh soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Hi there!

Got home last night from the interview and just popping in before I leave again for one tonight/tomorrow. UGGGG. So little sleep when I'm in hotels!

Linda-- The interview went well, thanks for asking! I'm not sure how I really feel about the place town-wise, but the hospital was very modern and the people seemed nice. I don't think it's the "best" program I'm looking at (at all), but I totally bonded with 4 people and had a great time with my new friends! So that was good!

UGH I so know how you're feeling about being "puffy". Are you feeling any better this morning? Just remember how much of it is true weight (little) and how much is water weight (most) and keep on truckin' like you're doing! Yesterday I got "off plan" with the interview lunch (lasagna), and continued to push it with an atkins bar, butternut squash soup, and honey roasted peanuts at the airport/airplane on my way home last night. Being tired/stressed is never good for my eating habits.

But, I recognized ahead of time that these interviews and travels wouldn't be the "easiest", and I'm going to do the best I can. Over the next 2 days I have 2 interview dinners and 2 lunches, and I can only hope they make good choices for us that aren't carby and sugary.

I got my "research month" approved for January!!!! Which means that I get to take the month off to write a paper. However, the director made it conditional, saying I can only do this if I present my findings via a poster at a research forum in the spring. While that's fine, I'm not sure what my topic will be. It has to be related to lowcarbing, but should be specific enough that I can make a poster out of it. UGGH Any ideas? I was thinking about

LC + diabetes control
LC + diabetes prevention
LC + long-term weight
LC vs Lowfat for _____.

Where is everyone? Is it just quiet on the weekends?

Extraordinary-- 10 pounds is so great!!! I love that flat tummy feeling when I'm losing weight. Go you!

I'm not weighing. I'm scared to. I'm worried about the next 2.5 weeks with my being gone. It's like I don't trust myself, which is a scary thing. I wish I had a more controlled, consistent schedule to rely on. I'll let you guy know how it all goes!

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post
Hey Sam, good luck on your interview. We'll miss you. Blue cheese crusted steak? please share the recipe. That sounds wonderful!.

I forgot to post it. I'm very simple and don't really follow recipes, but I just coat a sirloin steak with seasonings (pepper, sea salt, garlic powder) and broil it, flipping it once. I'm not sure how many minutes per side (maybe 4-5?) but I just base it on how it feels when I fork it . Then the last minute I throw on some blue cheese crumbles and let it melt in the oven... then I cut it in half and if it's not cooked enough I put it back in. Hahaha, I'm sorry, that was probably not helpful at all!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sam, thanks for the recipe. As far as the scale goes, you are smart staying off. We know when we are losing or not and to be a slave to the scale is just ridiculous. I am so intune with my body that almost every time I step on the scale I say the number in my head and that is what it is. I'm wanting to eat tonight but I came here instead. KITCHEN IS CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: justhappy2beme
Hi everyone,
I definately need a fresh start lol. I have been allowing myself too many sweets and carbs into my diet, and thus put on 25 pounds! Ack! Time to get healthy again. Cant wait to get to know everyone
Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhappy2beme View Post
Hi everyone,
I definately need a fresh start lol. I have been allowing myself too many sweets and carbs into my diet, and thus put on 25 pounds! Ack! Time to get healthy again. Cant wait to get to know everyone
I can see those 25 lb. melting already.

Just a quick checkin from work. The scale was not at all friendly to me again this morning and I will weigh in again tomorrow and update my stats then. My little episode on Friday is definitely not worth the price I'm paying now. Losing weight is really very simple. You find a plan that you know works for you in the past. You STAY ON the plan and you LOSE. You CHEAT you don't lose or GAIN. What is it that I'm not getting about this? You play with fire you get burned...................I'm just sayin'.

Go group!!!!!!!
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/333.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhappy2beme View Post
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the group!!!!

Well, the Christmas luncheon was delicious! Real healthy foods (except for desert) and mostly low carb, which was a treat. As others have mentioned, I'm not weighing until after Christmas. I suffer from depression during the holidays anyway so why make it worse?

Everyone have a great day and I'll TTYL
Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to get into the holiday spirit but it is a tough time for me emotionally. DH and I put up Xmas lights/decorations yesterday. I was initially against it but he insisted. I'm glad...because it did help cheer me up. He gets competitive with the neighbors (he is like that with the lawn as well...who has the greenest most perfect turf war) One year the Xmas light competition was really fierce with 2 other neighbors. Almost DAILY someone would add on more lights and elaborate yard decorations. It started to look like the Vegas strip

Quote:
Still here and holding steady at 209. I haven't had a loss in a few days but the hubby did say he that my face seemed thinner and my tummy (my problem area) seemed flatter so I'll take it. I'm hoping for a whoosh soon.
Sheena....yay for the flatter tummy! I hope you get your whoosh soon. I noticed you are 6'1"??? Is that right? I would love to be that tall...but maybe I wouldn't if I had a problem finding pants in the right length.

Quote:
My little episode on Friday is definitely not worth the price I'm paying now. Losing weight is really very simple. You find a plan that you know works for you in the past. You STAY ON the plan and you LOSE. You CHEAT you don't lose or GAIN. What is it that I'm not getting about this? You play with fire you get burned
Linda.... Sorry you had a rough time Friday, but today IS a new day! So, what is your plan??? You CAN DO IT!

Quote:
the Christmas luncheon was delicious! Real healthy foods (except for desert) and mostly low carb, which was a treat. As others have mentioned, I'm not weighing until after Christmas. I suffer from depression during the holidays anyway so why make it worse?
Gibby....Sending you lots of hugs because I also suffer during the holiday season.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse View Post

Gibby....Sending you lots of hugs because I also suffer during the holiday season.

Running out for an interview dinner but just wanted to say--- St John's Wort + fluorescent full spectrum light bulb + Vit D/Calcium completely changed my life last winter!

I really think the light bulb in the AM can fix seasonal affective disorder! I'm a huge fan :blush:

Still traveling... hotels and driving and flights.... and not very on plan at all. While I love the excitement and meeting new people, I'm also looking forward to settling down and getting back into my routine!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Hi all, quick check in. School is wrapping up with a skills final today and the written exam tomorrow (I am the instructor for those of you who don't know). I should be done with everything on Wednesday sometime. Maybe tomorrow.

BF and I went to a holiday open house on Sat and I allowed myself to sample some things like cookies that I haven't had a very, very long time. I am sure I paid for it too, I feel icky, bloated and fat. Weigh in tomorrow at TOPS will probably show a gain. I am expecting it and know what I have to do.

Welcome to justhappy

Sheena, hang in there for the whoosh.

everyone else, Howdy.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Warning--thread jack!

Liz--geesh, I had to hunt you down! Clean out your PM box!

Sorry everyone for the interruption--Happy Holidays and carry on.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I started the 5 day pouch test. Since I had gastric bypass several years ago (see siggy), I am doing the pouch test. This is the 5-day plan that was developed and used to determine if the pouch is working and return to that tight newbie feeling. And a bonus to this plan, it helps one get back to the basics of the weight loss surgery diet and it triggers weight loss. Also, it is not difficult to follow and if you are in a stage of carb-cycling it will break this pattern.

Days One & Two: Liquid Protein
low-carb protein shakes, broth, clear or cream soups, sugar-free gelatin and pudding.

Day 3: Soft Protein
canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy.

Day 4: Firm Protein
ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut.

Day 5: Solid Protein
white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

So far today I have had a protein shake for breakfast, SF black cherry jello, and miso soup for lunch. I made 4 flavors of SF jello this morning.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck, Vicki! I hope you pouch is ok!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone, lots to do tonight so just wanted to say hi. Vicki, good luck with the pouch test. That menu should definitely get you on a roll.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:36 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not too worried about the pouch. Frankly, I think it is stretched. I am doing the pouch test primarily to jump start and get back below goal. I gained up to my goal wt (weighed in at TOPS last night) and don't want it to get out of hand.

Day one is under my belt.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I am not too worried about the pouch. Frankly, I think it is stretched. I am doing the pouch test primarily to jump start and get back below goal. I gained up to my goal wt (weighed in at TOPS last night) and don't want it to get out of hand.

Day one is under my belt.
Good girl! KUTGW
Old 12-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Somebody needs to give me a good swift kick in the butt. I resisted temptation the last 2 days at work then caved last night with you know what.

It wasn't pretty. I'm very upset with myself right now and am doing a M/E day to just get the sugar out of my system.

Later guys.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post
Somebody needs to give me a good swift kick in the butt. I resisted temptation the last 2 days at work then caved last night with you know what.

It wasn't pretty. I'm very upset with myself right now and am doing a M/E day to just get the sugar out of my system.

Later guys.
***kicks Linda in the butt***

Ok, I have to admit that when I saw your piggy picture I thought that the piggy needs a diaper. :blush: So, if I had to guess the culprit food it would be sugar free chocolate with sugar alcohols.

LINDA....YOU CAN DO IT...you know what works for you.

VICKI....BRAVO on keeping on top of your weight and not going over your goal weight that's interesting re. the pouch. Does it actually shrink? I wonder if it is possible to shrink the stomach? I don't mean to sound dumb but I have noticed that when I eat less for some time that I seem to get full easier.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Liz, we will see what happens. I am done with the liquid day although I snuck in some deli sliced beef and 2 cheese sticks today.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: extraordinary
Stats: 230/218/165 or a size 8 @ 6'1"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9.3.11 - it's a perpetual process
Hi ladies ladies . I'm working my fourth twelve hour shift of the week tonight so I've been super zonked this week. Still holding steady at 209 but I know the scale WILL move eventually. I've had some higher carb days (35ish) and way too much diet soda this week but I have stayed on plan except for a bowl of heavenly homemade tomato soup from my coworker brought me and an atkin bar which always stall me.

Liz - I love being this tall I can get away with gaining a few pounds without anyone noticing. Minding pants is pretty easy if you know where to go and are willing to spend the money. No growing up in the 80's that's when things were tough. And I'm a nurse too. I work in the MICU.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying on plan!

FINAL restart 9.3.11 @ 230

MINI GOAL - onderland by Halloween
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sheena, what type of work do you do? I used to work 12 hr shifts as a nurse and those can be grueling. I did 7p=7a
Old 12-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sheena, holding is good. Hang in there.
Hey Vicki.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't been following the 5 day pouch test that closely, but if nothing else, it has helped me to pull in the reigns.

Yesterday was supposed to be soft protein day but we had our coworker Xmas brunch. I made scottish eggs and mini omelets so I did have eggs but they included some veggies and the breakfast sausage that was wrapped around the HB eggs. I also had veggies and some cheese and salami. All in all, still low carb.

Tonight my son and I are meeting BF and his kids at a pizza place before going to a Xmas concert. I am taking my own food. Probably a scottish egg.

This morning I tried an old exercise video that someone gave me since their VCR shelled out on them: Chicometrics. The video was filmed in '93 so the outfits, hair, and makeup are a hoot. I remember when it was all the rage but never participated. After doing it this morning, it is very similar to Ttapp or Method or Callenetics: isometrics using your own body wt for resistance.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone,
Vicki, you are doing great and good job on planning to take your own food. Now, can you pull in my reigns too. I'm doing awful. Last night I had friends for dinner and ate all kinds of carbs, not sugar (only because there wasn't any) but bread, pasta, etc. I'm disgusted. Please pray for me to get control.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda, JUST DO IT. I know, I know easier said than done. ((((((((Linda)))))))
Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I'm lurking from afar (California!). My life is utter chaos... exhausted, possibly getting sick. No point in really updating because I'm 2,000 miles away from my scale and I can easily tell, I'm gettin' fatter. This week can't be over soon enough! But I'm going to try and enjoy it the best I can.

Linda-- How is today going? Can I call you later?

Vicki-- What's an Irish egg?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Linda, JUST DO IT. I know, I know easier said than done. ((((((((Linda)))))))
DONE. Thanks for caring enough to say that. Tough love is hard to do but necessary at times. Ahhhhhhhh, I needed that. Muchas gracias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha42 View Post

Linda-- How is today going? Can I call you later?

Yes, yes, please do.

OK, today is going good. I am so busy cleaning. I have my cleaning girl here but of all things my dryer broke so I have to go to the LAUNDROMAT So I figured if I had to go for 2 loads (one was drying and one was washing) that I'd do a few more inclurding some area rugs and dry them all at once. So, I need to stop at the bank and get some quarters I guess. So far I've just had 1 Atkins shake and am getting ready to have another. So, that's my plan today. 3 shakes and a GS dinner. That's it. Later.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Everybody,

I just have a minute for a quick check in. I'm taking a break from deep cleaning. My brother and his family are coming to visit tomorrow and it is the first time they've ever seen my house (lived here over 5 years). So, of course I want it perfect. I'm so nervous because I haven't seen them in years

Linda & Samantha... I hope you both feel better
Sheena, Vicki, Gibby...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Liz, take it easy, perfection doesn't exist.

I am in for a nap today. We went to a concert last night, BF and all the kids. We didn't get home until 11:30. Wayyyyyyyy past my bedtime.

DS#3 has 2 basketball games back to back this morning. DS#2 is on his way home for Christmas from his Army training. And, he is turning 23 today ARGH. Now I have a 25 and 23 yr old, plus the 10 yr old.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody!

It sure is quiet in here. Where is everyone?

I had a fantastic visit with my brother and family. It couldn't have gone better!
VICKI...you are so right...I needed to relax and perfection does not exist.
I let my nerves get the best of me and I turned to food to self-medicate. I ate an ENTIRE pan of a treat that I baked for the family.
Once I started with a "taste" it was all over....all over my face, my hands and in my belly.
I had planned to allow myself one portion of my favorite desserts that we were bringing to a friend's house. Well, I ate like a reasonable human being in front of people. One small slice of 2 things. Then all heck broke lose when I got home. I snuck food in my kitchen. I can't even recall what I ate but judging from the "evidence" (empty packages and wrappers) I did a bit of damage.

I'm confessing this because I NEED to remind myself that I do NOT react normally to "sweet treats". I may never be able to exercise portion control with carbage. It is such a slippery slope and IS NOT WORTH IT. I felt like I had a major hangover after my binge. I ached from head to toe and felt I'm also stuffed into a painful pair of jeans that were loose about a week ago. It is a good reminder of why I need to stay on track.

I've been back on track since Monday and I plan to stay strong during the remainder of the holiday season.

I hope everyone is having a blessed and joyful holiday season!
Please check in!
Closed Thread