Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #91
Daddy's Girl

Gallery: cdn_gal
Stats: 230/152.3/145~~5'10
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Sept9/08/May12/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse View Post
3. parents??? the bundys????!?!?! Archie and Edith Bunker from "all in the family" hahahaha or maybe the clampetts (from beverly hillbillies)??? ok, they are really impossible to replace but I know they wouldn't mind my lame humor
Okay, this one totally cracked me up!! Seriously, could you imagine The Bundies as your parents?.....LOL

Thanks for playing!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/332.6/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
[QUOTE=cdn_gal;
If you were offered a chance to turn your life into a movie, who would play your part as:

1) Your lover
2) Your best friend
3) Your parents
4) Your worse enemy
5) Your child
[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll give this a shot:

Lover-Larry Fitzgerald of the Phoenix Cardinals
Best friend-Either one of Monk's assistants-Natalie or Sherona
Parents-June and Ward Cleaver
Worst Enemy-Paris Hilton Ewwwwwwwwww!!!!
My child-do I have to have one? I honestly can't think of any one - I guess it would be Ricky Nelson, or David.

Ok, I give, what's "fage"?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Gibby~
Quote:
Ok, I give, what's "fage"?
fage is a brand of greek yogurt. I learned about it here at LCF. It is basically yogurt that has been drained (whey drained off). It is thick, creamy and DELISH! It is much lower carb than regular yogurt (due to the drained off portion). It can be used as a base for sauces (taziki for one) and is delish as a dessert when sweetened and/or flavored (I like to use cocoa). Can you tell I am a fan? Funny thing is I used to HATE yogurt!
Greek yogurt, in my opinion, has a much milder taste and a definite creamy texture (compared to regular yogurt)

Of course yogurt is not on the induction list. However, many people believe in something called the "yogurt exception". I'll paste an article (ignore if not interested) explaining.

from lowcarbluxury website:
[COLOR=#007554]Why Fermented Milk Products are different. . .[/COLOR]

For many of us, starting on the low-carb path has meant being a label reader and always, always looking to the carb counts. If you were a person that enjoyed a dish of yogurt or a glass of buttermilk, you might have assumed you can no longer have them — at least in any real quantity — since their labels show them to be high in carbs. But as you'll see when you read on, you can't always trust the label to give you the entire story. Doctors Jack Goldberg, and Karen O'Mara explain in their book The GO-Diet, there's an exception here that works to your advantage. With proper credit to them, here's the skinny:

There has been a lot of press in the recent years about yeast overgrowth and its effects on your health and well being. There is some reason to believe that high carbohydrate diets and the overuse of some drugs, like antibiotics, may promote abnormal yeast overgrowth in and on the body. One natural way to combat this problem is to use an ancient remedy that is natural and well tolerated by anyone. This remedy is to restore healthy bacteria to your body in the form of cultured milk products such as kefir, yogurt, and buttermilk.

A bacterium called "lactobacillus" is a very important conditioner of the human gastrointestinal tract. You can take pills, but again, we feel it is better to use natural sources. It is much more delicious to take your bacteria in live culture kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk. Any of these three products can, and SHOULD, be used as part of your daily diet. Of the three choices, kefir may have even additional benefits because of the other "good" microorganisms it contains. Kefir is made from cultures containing a specific mixture of bacteria and "friendly" yeasts that are obtained from the kefir grain. There are currently research projects being undertaken in the United States to assess whether there are additional benefits to kefir. There are patents on anticancer substances extracted from kefir grains. This product has been widely used in western Europe, having originated several centuries ago.

Recent research has shown that among its many good qualities, these bacteria also stimulate the body to produce important immune response chemicals called "cytokines." These molecules include interferons and tumor necrosis factor and therefore might improve our resistance to disease. They also form a great deal of bulk for the formation of well-formed, non-constipating stools. Even lactose-intolerant individuals can tolerate kefir, yogurt and buttermilk. That is because the lactose in the milk used to make these products has been digested by the "good" lactobacillus. For example, the actual lactose left in kefir made by a national manufacturer is 1% or less. IN THIS CASE ONLY, AND WITH THESE FOODS ONLY, don't count the carbohydrate on the package labels. Why not?

The problem with the stated carbohydrate content on the packages of fermented food products arises because the government makes manufacturers count the carbohydrates of food "by difference." That means they measure everything else including water and ash and fats and proteins. Then "by difference," they assume everything else is carbohydrate. This works quite well for most foods including milk. However, to make yogurt, buttermilk and kefir, the milk is inoculated with the lactic acid bacteria. These bacteria use up almost all the milk sugar called "lactose" and convert it into lactic acid. It is this lactic acid which curds the milk and gives the taste to the product. Since these bacteria have "eaten" most of the milk sugar by the time you buy it (or make it yourself.) At the time you eat it, how can there be much carbohydrate left? It is the lactic acid which is counted as carbohydrate. Therefore, you can eat up to a half cup of plain yogurt, buttermilk, or kefir and only count 2 grams of carbohydrates (Dr. Goldberg has measured this in his own laboratory.) One cup will contain about 4 grams of carbohydrates. Daily consumption colonizes the intestine with these bacteria to handle small amounts of lactose in yogurt (or even sugar-free ice cream later.)
When you go to buy ready-made kefir and yogurt, look for plain, unsweetened or artificially sweetened varieties. [Note: Blue Bunny now makes a Splenda-sweetened version of their yogurts that are delicious! See our review of them 3/6/2001.] Don't be afraid of plain, unsweetened varieties. This is how kefir and yogurt have traditionally been used. You may find that "plain" tastes best of all. Or, you can add your own no-calorie sweeteners and flavorings (or berries or nuts and seeds). It may be better if the product is "bovine growth hormone free" although this is still controversial.

Does it matter if it's "nonfat", "low fat" or "original, normal fat"? No. This will affect the texture a bit, but on this diet, you can eat any fat content product. Your preference rules here. We prefer the "mouth feel" of the whole milk varieties. Try them all and decide for yourself. You should also get a little gutsy now and try cheeses made from kefir and yogurt. These products are available ready made or you can make them yourself. Aim for at least 8 ounces of kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk daily.

Yogurt is a great health food and is enjoyed by just about everyone. The cultures found in yogurt such as Acidophilus are beneficial to the digestive system. For example, Acidophilus, which is primarily found in the small intestine, produces Lactase which is the enzyme that digests milk sugars. Bifidobacterium is another beneficial bacteria found primarily in the large intestine and these bacteria produce B-vitamins such as B1, B6 and B12 as well as folic acid and some amino acids. Eating yogurt will help maintain healthy levels of beneficial bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.

Kefir is one of the oldest cultured milks. It has a bubbly effervescence and no bitter aftertaste. It is a fermented milk and contains a mixture of several species of lactic cultures. Kefir milk helps restore the intestinal flora and may help with digestive troubles because of its easy digestion. It is predigested due to the fermentation process and is tolerable for those people that are lactose intolerant.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_gal View Post
for Romeo!! Eat your veggy's kitty!!

Liz~ The reunion went well!! My aunt, whom I haven't seen in probably 20 years asked me where the rest of me was! Was great to see everyone and do some catching up.. Thanks for asking!

Leslie!!~ Welcome back chica, hope you plan on sticking around for a bit this time!

Okay ladies... I am back again.. Summer is almost over and trying to get back in the groove of things... Now where is Sam????????

Let's get to know each other a little better and start a question of the day thingy...(weekends excluded of course) I'll start first..

If you were offered a chance to turn your life into a movie, who would play your part as:

1) Your lover
2) Your best friend
3) Your parents
4) Your worse enemy
5) Your child

I'll answer first:

My lover would be Dr Gregory House :blush:
My best friend would be Julia Roberts
My parents would be Roseanne and Dan
My worse enemy would be Brittany Spears
My child would be Beaver (from leave it to Beaver)

Your turn! Go!!!
1. lover - Matthew McConaughey or Antonio Banderas (whichever one is available)
2. best friend - Nicole Kidman
3. parents - Dr. & Donna Reed (OK, so I'm showing my age whixh BTW will be a year older on Thursday)
4. worse enemy - Madalyn Murray O'Hair
5. child - Shirley Temple (girl) Opey (boy)
Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
for Romeo!! Eat your veggy's kitty!!

Okay ladies... I am back again.. Summer is almost over and trying to get back in the groove of things... Now where is Sam????????

Let's get to know each other a little better and start a question of the day thingy...(weekends excluded of course) I'll start first..
!!!
She's baaaacckkkkkk!!!!!!!!! Now maybe I'll get my a$$ in gear and start thinking about other things besides cats I love the idea of question of the day!!! Tomorrow's a long day for me so I won't pick tomorrow to start but I'll check in tomorrow night.

I took the Silver Sneakers training for 2 days this week and I'm really looking forward to it. For those who don't know Silver Sneakers is a fitness program for seniors. I'll be teaching a class a week and subbing when needed. I think it is going to be a great outreach and will help me to get out of myself more. Since I've semi-retired it is way to easy to isolate. The 2 days I do work I really have very little contact with coworkers.

Liz, uhhhhhh, guess what I just had? BUT, it was good because it was only one portion and only 100 calories. I used 1T peanutbutter powder (unsweetened) and 1 square of chocolate and some erithrytol and stevia. Thanks buddy, it was just what I needed and I don't even want more. I, too, have been craving sweets. I swear we're twins.

Later guys.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 09-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Liz, thanks for all of the information. Where can I buy fage? I've never seen it at my grocery store, however I was never looking for it, either.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #97
Daddy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Liz, thanks for all of the information. Where can I buy fage? I've never seen it at my grocery store, however I was never looking for it, either.
I make my own... Just take full fat yogurt, put a coffee filter in a strainer in bowl, dump the yogurt into it and put in fridge for the night to drain.. YUM-O!! And I don't like yogurt either.. Go figure huh? I put all natural peanut butter and splenda in mine, or cashew butter and splenda... Makes me think I have died and gone to heaven! :blush: Sometimes I will put a little raspberry SF jello powder in there, or some banana cream SF jello powder.. The possibilities are endless!

Today's question of the day:

List 5 things that you last did:

1) what you ate
2) what you drank
3) what you listened to
4) what you watched
5) what you bought

I'll be back in the morning to post my answers...

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
everyone....

1) what you ate
2) what you drank
3) what you listened to
4) what you watched
5) what you bought

Bite of cousins B-day cake last night before bed!! :blush:
coffee this morning
Fox News
Fox News
Yogurt

Still hanging on, no loss...going to work at a Pizza Place tomorrow night If I eat there ...it will be salad and hot wings..
Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

1) what you ate
2) what you drank
3) what you listened to
4) what you watched
5) what you bought

1. 3 scrambled eggs with cheese
2. Water
3. Oldies on the radio
4. Rerun of "Biggest Loser"
5. Cat food
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Everybody!

LEI: thanks for the questions! You're really perking up the thread...glad you're back

LIZZIE: Nice to see you posting Do you work at a pizza place? I would be tempted at first...but after a short time I'd probably be SICK of pizza and pizza smell. My very first job was at an ice cream parlor when I was 14. We had a "taster cup" and could sample ANYTHING. I was totally into that perk for about a week. Then I could care less about ice cream. Too bad that feeling didn't last.......

Big hugs and hellos to everyone else!

1) what you ate: fage total with peanut butter extract and cocoa
2) what you drank: iced mocha coffee with choc almond milk (CRAVING CHOCOLATE)
3) what you listened to: radio on way to store
4) what you watched: Joyce Meyers
5) what you bought: fage yogurt of course (but I just bought ONE)

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 09-14-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've decided to increase my fat intake. I've been doing lower carb (with lots of veggies and minimal fruit and yogurt). But I've neglected the fats to keep the calories down. :blush: I kinda feel like I need to go to the atkin's confessional (forgive me for I have forsaken the fats)

Anyhow.....I got more FULL on a small cup of fage total (7oz) than what I get on 2 of the big things of 0% fage (total of almot 35 ozs.:blush
The taste and texture was sooooo much better.
I'm gonna pay attention to how long I stay full after eating a smaller amount of total fage compared to the 0%
I don't know why I keep going back to the "low fat" mindset.

I'm curious.....what kind of woe is everyone currently following?
Do you count your carbs and/or calories?
Are there any meals/foods that keep you really satisfied or any that make you really hungry in one hour? (for me FRUIT makes me hungry unless I eat a small amount and have protein with it)

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #102
Daddy's Girl

Quote:
Are there any meals/foods that keep you really satisfied or any that make you really hungry in one hour? (for me FRUIT makes me hungry unless I eat a small amount and have protein with it)

Thanks!
Good questions! I'm kinda doing my own thing now, while still sticking with Low Carb.. I eat tons of fats, always have and always will..Like you said, it keeps me full longer and is very satisfying... Fruit gives you a sugar rush, and spikes your sugar levels... Never eat fruit by it's self, but rather like you said, eat it with a bit of protein to counter-balance.. (Hence why people eat apples and peanut butter together)
On that note, anything that spikes my sugar levels makes me hungry quicker... Fruit, processed foods, salty foods...
If I ate a huge steak marbled with tons of fat, and added garlic butter on top of it in the mornings, I could honestly say that I wouldn't care if I ate another thing all day... Totally filling... (I make flavored butters and top any meat I eat with it)
No, I do not count calories or carbs... I know what I can eat, and what I can't.. To me, calories dont count as long as you keep the carbs low.. HTH?

1) what you ate ~ Faux potato salad w/baked chicken
2) what you drank ~ coffee w/whipping cream
3) what you listened to ~ My dog's barking their fool heads off at the bunnies on the lawn in the back yard
4) what you watched ~ Big Brother :blush:
5) what you bought ~ foam at Hellmart (I'm making a couple of my residents padded things for their bed rails so they stop bruising their arm/legs

Have a great day everyone!!

(soft gentle snuggles for Romeo)

Where is SAM????????
Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/144.6/150 5'5" 30y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Hello all!

Yes, I'm MIA. I know it. I think about you guys all the time. And just spent the past 30 minutes catching up on all your old posts.... and from what I can remember here is what I have to say personally! :

Linda-- I hope your kitties are doing better. I was glad to hear about Romeo doing better... I got nervous reading about where it was going to lead (esp with the bloody stools etc), but it sounds like you got 2 fierce cats and I hope they live long, healthy lives.

Vicki-- Sorry to hear about SG, and I hope you two worked everything out!

Gibby & Stacey-- welcome!!
Leslie-- Welcome BACK!!

Liz-- My darling... I have never known someone as optimistic and introspective as you are. With your TIAs and fertility issues.. I can't even imagine. I hope I can one day handle life as you have been... seeing the bright side of your husband on your birthday!! You are too adorable. And no matter what the future holds for you in terms of children, I wish you the best.

Lei-- I'm here. I'm here my darling!

I have been on/off. My Mom has not been doing well, and work has been overwhelming and stressful. Went to the wedding about 3-4 weeks ago and since then have been more off plan than on plan. Haven't weighed but probably in the low 190s mark. I miss the 183 I saw a month or so ago!

Looking at the bright side, I have gotten pretty good at maintenance. I don't binge hardly ever (as I used to), and in general, my life is good. I just wish my Mom would get better. And I wish I would lose weight. I have residency interviews starting in November and I don't want to be fat. Who wants to hire a fat doctor at their hospital??? It's like an oxymoron. So far I have 3 interviews scheduled and am waiting to hear from another 30 places. I have a feeling I'll get 20-something interviews and have to choose only my top 15, since I don't really think I could stay sane going on many more interviews beyond that. I can't believe medical school is already winding down!

My love life is still nonexistent with a few interesting turns--- still friends with that guy I have been obsessed with forever.... but I'm finally realizing how disillusioned I was and how I know it will never work out. Have become very close with another guy, who is just a friend, and deep down I don't really like him. However, he seems to be filling this void in me anyway... a lonely void, so I'm taking him for what he is despite his faults and I continue seeing him nearly every day. We have a bizarre relationship, as we're just friends, but talk and/or see each other daily.

Really, all that is minor... my biggest issues are my weight and my mom's health. My Mom is doing terribly. Was hospitalized for a week last week. I didn't even go visit her. Something in me was so drained with life, and she told me she didn't need anything and not to visit, and I didn't. Instead I spent labor day weekend being social and getting my own life together. This weekend she got out and I was with her Saturday night. She is emaciated. Her knees and elbows are bigger than her legs and arms in that gross weigh. I estimate she is 65 pounds. She cannot stop coughing.... and she walks with a limp and no arm swing. She just looks terrible and it breaks my heart. I think I've been in denial a little bit about it, but I just don't know what else I should be doing. I've contacted her doctors... but my mom isn't very compliant nor is she a health advocate for herself, and it's making my life as a daughter and future doctor very difficult. Uggh.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello, and tell you all I miss you and think about you all the time.

That's all!

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Glad to see everyone is posting. I am still in a funk guys. I am trying, really I am.

1) what you ate ~ Chicken taco salad
2) what you drank ~ water
3) what you listened to ~ Right now, the neighbor yelling at his dog, otherwise the 6 oclock news.
4) what you watched ~ News
5) what you bought ~ A Card that says "I Love You"
Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #105
Daddy's Girl

Oh my gosh Sam, how I miss you!! I am so sorry to hear about your mom, and am sending good thoughts and white light your way!!
You sound like you've been real busy, and I can't believe your almost done your schooling already... I am so darn proud of you for continuing on, even though you are going through tough times right now... Keep your chin up chica, and know I think about you often!!

Today's question:

Name 5 things you would put in a trap, if you were wanting to catch a man... (if you weren't married of course)

See you all tomorrow.. I just got home from work, had a bowl of homemade chicken soup, and am now ready to call it a night...

Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
Quote:
LIZZIE: Nice to see you posting Do you work at a pizza place? I would be tempted at first...but after a short time I'd probably be SICK of pizza and pizza smell. My very first job was at an ice cream parlor when I was 14. We had a "taster cup" and could sample ANYTHING. I was totally into that perk for about a week. Then I could care less about ice cream. Too bad that feeling didn't last.......

Liz I start the job tonight 5pm it is a very busy place and they also serve all the other Italian foods...Pizza is really not my thing. They have wonderful hot wings..so if I have a dinner break that is what I would get..I prefer to work days (actually I prefer not to work)
I applied for days but they called me for tonight..so we will see.
Quote:

I am just keepin on...trying to stay low carb...

Sam..sorry to hear about your mom ...you both are in my prayers.

I still hope to get together sometime in the city.. (we could meet at Union Station)..if I ever get it all together here in K-town. Still have furniture to get in Arkansas.

Have a great day everyone...Hey where's Judy...

186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 168 166 164 162 160 158 156 154 152 150
Old 09-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SAM!!!!!! So great to "see" you!
I LOVE your hair! ***wolf whistle here*** WOW! When I first saw your avatar I was thinking, "who is the new hot blonde????"

I'm so incredibly sorry to hear about your Mom Many, many good thoughts and prayers being sent to her and to your family.

THANK YOU for your kind words:blush: You have such an amazing ability to make me feel great.....I know this skill will make you an excellent physician. So many docs lack the ability to communicate compassion and caring. They come off as "cold". You, my dear, will be cherished by your patients for your obvious warmth and caring REGARDLESS of your weight (although I do think you'll get to where you want to be weight-wise) Seriously, they don't teach personality in med school

BIG CONGRATS on finished med school!!!!!! And also on being binge-free! WOOOOOHOOOOOO........
Ok, I'm totally excited for you re. your residency GOOD LUCK on your match!!! I hope you get whatever program you want! Which residency program are you applying for (primary care, internal med, surgery, etc...)
It would be very cool if you matched at my husband's university
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vicki~ so sorry you're feeling down. Sending you lots of virtual hugs, good wishes, and prayers that things will work out

Lizzie~ CONGRATS and good luck on your new job mmmmm...did you say HOT WINGS....mmmmmm
I think it being a busy place is a really good thing...time will fly

Judy~ You are missed. Hope you are having a wonderful trip with your sister

Lei~ I forgot to mention something re. you buying the foam to protect your patients/residents. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! They are incredibly lucky to have you caring for them! We need MORE of you to care for our elderly....can we clone you?????

Linda~ I hope you are having a good day! Do you have any special plans for your upcoming birthday???

Gibby~ I hope the scale is rewarding you! How is your woe going? Do you find that you are less hungry when following atkins?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok, last post for now.....sorry to be hogging the thread.....

Quote:
Name 5 things you would put in a trap, if you were wanting to catch a man... (if you weren't married of course)
hmmm... if you're talking actual physical things??? 1. a big screen tv with several remote controls and an incredibly comfortable "man chair" (usually these are ratty looking recliners)
2. pizza, brownies and fave "man foods" (these are foods that a man can pick up with one paw as he sits in his ratty chair holding the remote control in the other paw)
3. a massage table
4. a super expensive sports car
5. Angelie Jolie/Jennifer Lopez or some other woman that seems to get a guy's attention

Ok, so many of those items are unattainable and/or too big for a trap (plus angelie jolie KEEPS the men she attracts from other women....just ask Jennifer aniston)

I think these things would get a man's attention...however, to KEEP his attention I'd have to show him the "good" stuff....like caring, compassion, communication, humor, independence, respect, self-confidence, fun....etc.....
Plus my top "weapon"....homemade lasagna and decadent brownie cheesecake
Also...I'd let him know I'm not one to nag or hawg the remote control
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Samantha! Nice to "meet you" and Lei, I don't think I've said hey to you yet!

Yes, Liz, I find I don't eat near as much as I used to. Meat protein and fat really keep me satisfied. I don't count calories, but I do watch my carb intake. I'm still continuing the Atkins Induction Phase and will until I break 300. Then, I'll start adding a little bit at a time. The main thing I do is stop eating when I'm satisfied - not full or stuffed - comfortable. Then, if I get hungry later on I have a protein snack.

True confession time - On Sunday, I had a melt down! I was so angry at not losing and in fact, gaining, that I went out and bought one of those small containers of Hagen Daas ice cream and a box of microwave popcorn and ate it all that day! I had been craving sweets and salty snacks for so long (I was tired of pork rinds, thank you very much ). I don't know what happened, but I did drop 6 ounces! I knew a man who used to work where I work that went on a low carb diet and stalled for along time so one day he ate carbs and for whatever reason, it broke his stall. Does anyone know anything about that?

Take care everyone! I need to get to work. TTYL

Marilee
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
[B]Today's question:

It depends upon the guy, but a guy I would be interested would want (in no particular order):

1. His favorite food fresh and smelling good!
2. A new flat screen TV
3. Massage oil
4. Season tickets to his favorite sport
5. A sexy neglige - for me!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whoa baby, I miss one day and I can hardly catch up

Sam, you hot little mama. I love the blonde hair. Medical school is winding down? Where oh where does time go? I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I know it breaks your heart. There's nothing else you can do but pray for her to to peaceful and free from pain. When my mom was in the nursing home and I felt helpless like you do, That's one thing I could do for her was to pray for her, really Sam, it works. God can go where we cannot go. I'm going to put you guys on my prayer list. Where are you considering residencies? How about Tampa Florida That would be awesome

OK, I'm going back to read the other posts.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Are there any meals/foods that keep you really satisfied or any that make you really hungry in one hour? (for me FRUIT makes me hungry unless I eat a small amount and have protein with it)!
Diet, Ummmmmm, I think it's called "the Linda one day on two days off see how fast you can gain weight diet" Meals that keep me satisfied? Good question, I need to think about that a bit and pay attention to it. Two HB eggs are one. Lately I've made a protein shake with 1 scoop PP, 1 cp. cho almond mild and 1 Tchia seeds and that seems to satisfy me. Also, believe it or not just a 110 cal. EAS protein shake keeps me full for a while.

Quote:
I make my own... Just take full fat yogurt, put a coffee filter in a strainer in bowl, dump the yogurt into it and put in fridge for the night to drain.. YUM-O!! And I don't like yogurt either.. Go figure huh? I put all natural peanut butter and splenda in mine, or cashew butter and splenda... Makes me think I have died and gone to heaven! :blush: Sometimes I will put a little raspberry SF jello powder in there, or some banana cream SF jello powder.. The possibilities are endless!

1) what you ate
2) what you drank
3) what you listened to
4) what you watched
5) what you bought

I'll be back in the morning to post my answers...

1) what you ate- I'd better answer this one now while I'm good- a protein shake with 1 scoop PP, 1T chia seeds, 1 cp. almond milk, 1 T unsweetened peanut butter powder
2) what you drank-water
3) what you listened to-TV Kings & Queens
4) what you watched-TV Kings & Queens
5) what you bought-Pill pockets for the kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Glad to see everyone is posting. I am still in a funk guys. I am trying, really I am.
Aw, you will feel better soon.

Quote:
Oh my gosh Sam, how I miss you!! I am so sorry to hear about your mom, and am sending good thoughts and white light your way!!
You sound like you've been real busy, and I can't believe your almost done your schooling already... I am so darn proud of you for continuing on, even though you are going through tough times right now... Keep your chin up chica, and know I think about you often!!

Today's question:

See you all tomorrow.. I just got home from work, had a bowl of homemade chicken soup, and am now ready to call it a night...

Hmmmm, 5 things I'd put in a trap for a man. I'll have to think about that and be back. But, after Judy and now you talking about soup, I am craving soup now so I know what I'm having for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Hi Samantha! Nice to "meet you" and Lei, I don't think I've said hey to you yet!

Yes, Liz, I find I don't eat near as much as I used to. Meat protein and fat really keep me satisfied. I don't count calories, but I do watch my carb intake. I'm still continuing the Atkins Induction Phase and will until I break 300. Then, I'll start adding a little bit at a time. The main thing I do is stop eating when I'm satisfied - not full or stuffed - comfortable. Then, if I get hungry later on I have a protein snack.

True confession time - On Sunday, I had a melt down! I was so angry at not losing and in fact, gaining, that I went out and bought one of those small containers of Hagen Daas ice cream and a box of microwave popcorn and ate it all that day! I had been craving sweets and salty snacks for so long (I was tired of pork rinds, thank you very much ). I don't know what happened, but I did drop 6 ounces! I knew a man who used to work where I work that went on a low carb diet and stalled for along time so one day he ate carbs and for whatever reason, it broke his stall. Does anyone know anything about that?

Take care everyone! I need to get to work. TTYL
Confession is good for the soul. And yes, sometimes it does help to carb up. In fact, the plan I'm on has a carb up day or two a week. Of course she does say don't stuff which I usually do but it sounds like it may be just what you needed to jump start things and help you stay on track. As long as you don't do an extended carb up (like me) you should be fine.

Judy, yoohoo, you back yet? We miss you.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

5 thins to put in a man trap:
1. a coupon for all the sex you want, any time with your favorite star (hey, you asked)
2. a Mazzarati
3. an all expenses paid to LasVegas at The Bellagio with unlimited chips to play with
4. a private jet
5. free, home delivered gourmet meals
Old 09-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your welcome backs! I know I need to come here more often. You guys are my LC sanity... and I appreciate it greatly.

Yes, I went blonde! It keeps getting lighter and lighter everytime I touch up my roots, and now I'm just allover blonde. Not sure if I should change it for the fall/winter, but keeping it for now.

Liz, which hospital is your husband at? I didn't apply to any programs in Alabama, but I could be convinced to Thank you for your kind words about personality, they SHOULD teach a course on it. I am horrified sometimes by the bedside manners of doctors.

Slim, thank you for your kind words about me and my Mom. I appreciate it

Linda, I think we're on the same exact plan! 1 day on, 2 off We can do this.

Lei, I'll keep my chin up and think of you Oh wise, successful one!

I have been on plan-ish for 2 days now (since yesterday)... still with some dairy and nuts and a few mini chocolate pieces. Was 190.6 today after work, so maybe not as heavy as I thought I was. Wouldn't it be nice to get back to that 183 soon??? My goal is to be 170 by interviews. I start November 2nd. Man, if I would only stick to my long-term, realistic goals, instead of waiting til the week before, panicking, and failing. I need to get on it NOW. Not tomorrow!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm already noticing a difference in how I feel since increasing my fats! A MAJOR thing for me is that knee cracking/popping when going up the stairs is almost GONE! WOOT! I've had that for about a year. With every step up I would hear a pop/crack. Now...I only hear one or two knee pops for 16 steps! I feel like the tin man on wizard of oz who just needed a squirt of lube.

Sam~ I'll PM you the hosp. My DH is really private (unlike me)
He has been an attending for several years now. I'm not sure how the whole process goes...but, if you'd like, I can ask him if there is any way to get you to the top of the list and/or if there is anything he can do to help.

Linda~ [quoteWhere are you considering residencies? How about Tampa Florida That would be awesome
][/quote] Hey now...don't be trying to steal Sam from me!!!
It's funny how our man bait lists are different. I know my DH would RUN from the Bellagio and the private jet (doesn't gamble, hates the cig. smoke and HATES to fly).

Gibby~
Quote:
True confession time - On Sunday, I had a melt down! I was so angry at not losing and in fact, gaining, that I went out and bought one of those small containers of Hagen Daas ice cream and a box of microwave popcorn and ate it all that day! I had been craving sweets and salty snacks for so long (I was tired of pork rinds, thank you very much ). I don't know what happened, but I did drop 6 ounces!
I'm so glad that you lost weight! I'm really impressed that you got right back on plan Plus you didn't buy a HUGE container of hagen daas!. Have you tried cinnamunch? They are cinnamon flavored pork rinds that REALLY address my salty/sweet cravings. Netrition sells them. Or you can make them yourself.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Liz! I tried to PM you back but it says you have exceeded your message quota and your box is full....? Popular lady!!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha42 View Post
Liz! I tried to PM you back but it says you have exceeded your message quota and your box is full....? Popular lady!!
:blush: sorry for that. I'm not too popular...more of a procrastinator/ borderline cyber hoarder. I treat my PM box like a cyber junk drawer. I've got PM's from 2005 I've deleted a few to make room.
I also do this with emails. I need to work on my cyber hoarding issues. DELETE DELETE DELETE

That reminds me of a reality show I've seen called "hoarders". Has anyone seen this? It is incredibly sad to see. People who are in jeopardy of losing their house and/or children (eviction or board of health issues). A team goes in to help the hoarder get their home to a liveable condition. I will refrain from describing specifics.....but suffice it to say that watching an episode with a food hoarder requires a strong stomach.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone!

Liz - no more knee popping is a GREAT thing! I'm so glad that has lessened dramatically for you.

I've not tried the cinnamunch - I need to place my first order on Netrition, but haven't yet. It sounds yummy. However, there sometimes I REALLY want that cold, creamy feel of ice cream. There are low sugar ones out there, but you have to buy one of those big tubs and I won't do that. Anyway, the craving is gone. As you said I went back on real LC to counter balance my "badness" so I should be ok.

Although the scale isn't moving, I can notice my stomach is flatter, my tops are getting too loose (I'm smaller in the shoulders than the hips and I tend to lose top down-why can't it be the other way?). And the biggest success of all - I've managed to sleep IN MY BED for longer than 30 minutes. I made it to 2 hours twice last night with a 2 hour recliner stint in the middle. I'm not sure I mentioned that because of my weight I have a lot of pressure when I lay down and I can't breathe so I'm a recliner sleeper. I don't have sleep apnea, per the doctor, but just squished organs.

Sorry to go on so long but I felt chatting this morning!

Here's my meal plan for today:

B-3 deviled eggs, coffe with WHC and sweetner
L-2 chicken legs (2 thighs and 2 drumsticks)
D-NY steak with a small lettuce salad with EVOO and vinegar, with a little tomato and spring onions
Snack-if hungry-string cheese and deli turky roll ups

Everyone have a great day! Stay strong.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gibby~
Quote:
However, there sometimes I REALLY want that cold, creamy feel of ice cream. There are low sugar ones out there, but you have to buy one of those big tubs and I won't do that.
if you get the craving again...I highly recommend fage total with cocoa and sweetened with whatever you use. It is INCREDIBLY thick and creamy. You can put it in freezer for a colder treat if desired. The 7oz container has 6g carbs (280 calories total....180 of those calories are from fat!)
Although it isn't listed as an induction food...those 6 carbs could easily fit into a 20 carb day

Quote:
Although the scale isn't moving, I can notice my stomach is flatter, my tops are getting too loose (I'm smaller in the shoulders than the hips and I tend to lose top down-why can't it be the other way?). And the biggest success of all - I've managed to sleep IN MY BED for longer than 30 minutes. I made it to 2 hours twice last night with a 2 hour recliner stint in the middle. I'm not sure I mentioned that because of my weight I have a lot of pressure when I lay down and I can't breathe so I'm a recliner sleeper. I don't have sleep apnea, per the doctor, but just squished organs.
WOW that is incredible!!! I am so happy for you!!! Keep up the good work...you are doing AWESOME!

Quote:
Sorry to go on so long but I felt chatting this morning!
I go on so long I have to break the post down into a few posts I'm glad you're feeling chatty........and DEFINITELY please share your NSV (non-scale victories...like sleeping in bed!)
Closed Thread