Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/333.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
Thanks, Judy! That's exactly what I tell myself - "sugar is posion". It does work. Of course there are days when I wouldn't mind killing myself

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Parisfox
Stats: 247/..../160
WOE: LC & VLC
Start Date: Re-start 12/01/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Thanks, Judy! That's exactly what I tell myself - "sugar is posion". It does work. Of course there are days when I wouldn't mind killing myself
Obviously, I have too many of those days myself.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hi everybody!

I'm feeling so good today I haven't had another TIA since Tuesday when my neurologist started me on some new meds I am SO grateful and thankful for my health!

I'm doing really well with my way of eating. I'm trying to focus on eating HEALTHY foods instead of worrying excessively about calories/carbs. I'm using a website:
The World's Healthiest Foods to learn more about healthy foods/recipes/ideas. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that website! You can do a recipe search using specific ingredients and/or vitamins/minerals to include (like if you need extra calcium or other nutrient) WHFoods: Over 100 Quick and Easy Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Liz, when the student is ready the teacher appears and you hear what is said
Quote:
I am responsible for my own happiness through the help of only one other, my God. I have to say the Serenity Prayer to remind myself of that too. I can't expect others to make me happy, although I try LOL.
Vicki~ Thanks for the wisdom!
I the serenity prayer. ITA about not expecting others to make me happy. That is a tough lesson that has taken me many years to learn....well, actually, I'm STILL trying to learn:blush:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisfox View Post
Good afternoon. Another week closer to Thanksgiving. ....KUTGW.....

My menu for today:
L: Chocolate/Kahlua Protein Shake
D: Sirloin Steak; Homemade Chicken Soup
S: Hot Chocolate

It's another really nice/cool day. How long can this keep up?

Liz....Adoption is a win-win situation. Good luck...and many prayers coming your way.
Judy... I your menu......chocolate and steak?!?!? WOW...what a great way to eat...and lose weight
Quote:
Hi all. I shared this on another thread, but I'll share it with you too.

Today was the first temptation I had to face at work since I started LCing on 8/8. Someone brought coffee cake and put in the kitchen and another person brought cookies and they were in the media room so no matter which way I turned there was SIN!

I survived the day with out tasting a crumb - I didn't even smell them or gaze longingly at them. I can't even tell you what kind of cookies they were - they were in a box sealed box and I didn't open it.

I never would have had that success in the past - I would have caved.

The ultimate test has yet to present itself - bagels and cream cheese or DONUTS!!!!!

Good nigt everyone! Sweet dreams.
CONGRATS on resisting! You are doing so incredibly well! I like Judy's suggestion about "poison" Another idea that I've heard and have tried....picture the food with disgusting mold/mildew/fungus funk growing on it. When the temptation is liquid or ice cream I bring up a disgusting memory..... taking a big bite and finding a BUG in my ice cream... I also tell myself, "you've tried this before and it wasn't that great". When I take the romance/allure out of food it kills the craving. If all else fails I run away screaming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post
Day one back on track. to me too.
BRAVO

Quote:
I finally had some DOWN on my friend the scale this morning. It's about time. Of course, if I would consistently stay on plan I would have more down days.
CONGRATS on the DOWN!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Quote:
Yea Linda!!!!
Thanks Gibby.

Quote:
Good morning....We are getting some needed rain this morning. I know the ground and the farmers need it, but I'd rather have sun. Oh, well....it will be sunny again soon. At least it's not sweltering hot so I'm happy. This is more like Spring than late summer. I'll enjoy it while I can. Next summer might not be so kind to us as this summer has been so far.

I finally had some DOWN on my friend the scale this morning. It's about time. Of course, if I would consistently stay on plan I would have more down days.

Yesterday I had planned on having steak for dinner but suddenly was hungry for bacon and eggs so that's what I had. I'll probably have the steak tonight. Even though it's raining now doesn't mean it will be at dinner time and since my deck is covered, I really don't care. I'll grill out anyway.

My menu for yesterday was:
L: Protein shake
S: a cup of homemade chicken soup
D: 4 pcs. bacon & 3 eggs
S: cup of hot chocolate at 7:00pm
So that was a good day.

I think I'll just post "yesterday's" menu each day instead of posting what I "think" I'm going to eat. That will be more accurate for me because sometimes I change my mind.
Linda....Good job!! KUTGW
Judy, we're getting some rain here today today. Of course we are in hurricane season. So far so good though this year. Homemade chicken soup sounds really good to me right now. Please share your recipe. I have made eggdrop chicken soup with canned chicken broth, adding cooked chicken, raw spinach to hot boiling soup just to wilt and then scramble an egg and drop the egg in the hot soup while it is still boiling. That is a great easy soup. I've got my A/C on high right now looking out at the rain pretending it's cool outside. Looks like no cuppa outside for you today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse View Post
Hi everybody!

I'm feeling so good today I haven't had another TIA since Tuesday when my neurologist started me on some new meds I am SO grateful and thankful for my health!

I'm doing really well with my way of eating. I'm trying to focus on eating HEALTHY foods instead of worrying excessively about calories/carbs. I'm using a website:
The World's Healthiest Foods to learn more about healthy foods/recipes/ideas. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that website! You can do a recipe search using specific ingredients and/or vitamins/minerals to include (like if you need extra calcium or other nutrient) WHFoods: Over 100 Quick and Easy Recipes

CONGRATS on the DOWN!!!
Liz, I'm soooooo glad you are feeling good and no TIA's. Thanks for the websites. I'm going to check them out as soon as I hit the post button THEN I'll go clean.

I'm feeling stronger today with just one good day under my belt. I need to capture this feeling and remember it when I'm tempted to use food as a comfort. Nothing, absolutely nothing except God and prayer can make me feel as good as staying onplan with my food.

Off to check out the websites.

Later guys.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 09-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"I'm feeling stronger today with just one good day under my belt. I need to capture this feeling and remember it when I'm tempted to use food as a comfort. Nothing, absolutely nothing except God and prayer can make me feel as good as staying onplan with my food."

I'm so happy you feel more in control. I had a feeling you would.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda....I do my chicken soup the easy way....very much like you do your egg drop soup.

Quick 'n Easy Chicken Soup
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2-4 celery stalks (depending on size) chopped fairly fine
1/4 of a small onion chopped fairly fine (or you can use dehydrated onion)
Dehydrated parsley flakes
Spices, salt, & pepper to taste.

You can use just about any spice that you like.
I usually use Mrs. Dash Original; some Kickin' Chicken; and some Minced Garlic.

Simmer until the celery/onions are crisp tender.
Chop up a rotisserie chicken breast and add to the broth.
Simmer a little longer to warm the chicken.

Put in a bowl. Add a chunk of butter and let melt.
Sometimes I add about a Tbsp. of Heavy Whipping Cream
to the bowl of soup just to change it.

This is easy, fast, nutritious, and VLC.....AND it's YUMMY!!

“Don’t promise yourself bad food as a reward for good behavior.”

"Always keep people in your life who charge your battery, not those who drain it."
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another on plan day, yay. Judy, I usually don't add spices to the chicken broth. That's a good idea. Kickin chicken, huh? I'll have to look for that one. Makes me want some soup right now. In fact, I didn't have all my meals today. I just wasn't hungry. I do have a cooked turkey leg so I think I'll go whip up some soup.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda....here's a link with a picture to the Kick 'N Chicken I use. It's made by Weber. It's wonderful. I got it at Sam's Club....didn't know that Amazon had it. This is a good price too. A little goes a long way and this is a 6oz bottle for $5.34. Although, since there are undoubtedly shipping charges, you might want to see if you can find it at a local store.

Weber Grind'n Grill (Shaker Grinder Bottle) Kick'n Chicken...Weber Grind'n Grill (Shaker Grinder Bottle) Kick'n Chicken...

Last edited by Parisfox; 09-03-2009 at 05:32 PM..
Old 09-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Linda....here's a link with a picture to the Kick 'N Chicken I use. It's made by Weber. It's wonderful. I got it at Sam's Club....didn't know that Amazon had it. This is a good price too. A little goes a long way and this is a 6oz bottle for $5.34. Although, since there are undoubtedly shipping charges, you might want to see if you can find it at a local store.

Weber Grind'n Grill (Shaker Grinder Bottle) Kick'n Chicken Seasoning * Net Weight 6.0 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery
Looks good. I'll look for it at Sam's the next time I go.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Not much happening here, off to bed.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Not much happening here, off to bed.
goodnigh oh quiet one
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone,
I'm looking forward to another onplan day. Busy day today, I have to take Jasmine up to get bloodwork. Hopefully she will swhow improvement. Romeo on the other hand is not doing so well. He has been having more loose stools than normally and lies down on his side and kind of growls. I feel so bad for him. the vet has changed his diet to include a food with more fiber. As he is diabetic he has been on very low carb catfood. I will watch him closely over this long weekend and if there is no improvement then he needs to be seen on Tuesday. It is tghe neverending kitty battle right now but I know it could be worse so I'll thank God for all the good things in my life and they are many. In fact, this morning's devotional was on choosing to be thankful. I am having a good friend of mine and her family over for dinner tonight so that will be nice.

Have a great day.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good afternoon....Just got back from the library and the grocery store. It's absolutely beautiful out. Am heading out with a cuppa and my book in a few....

I was DOWN some more this morning. YES!! I'll be on plan today. Had some rotisserie chicken for lunch and will probably have a protein shake for dinner. I'm going to go watch my youngest DD (Sheri) and Dave take off in a Hot Air Balloon at 5:30 so dinner will be late. I do best with just a shake when it's late. Dave bought the ride last Spring for her and she has just now gotten up the nerve to do it. She has always wanted to do this, but at the same time is scared to. Don't know if I could do it or not. I have acrophobia. She does too, but not nearly as much as I do. She should have fun. I hope they like it....it's NOT cheap.

to everyone who checks in today....
Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy, congratulations on your weight loss!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hi everybody!

I'm having a good day! After living in this city for over 6 years I just recently found out that I have a 2nd cousin living in town. We met for lunch and had a nice visit. I'm really excited to have family in town because, other than my brother, I don't have any family contacts.

I'm also looking forward to having some time with my dh. He actually has 3 days off in a row Of course he ALWAYS has a lot of work to do but he should a little bit of time.

I'm also very grateful to be healthy! No more TIA's!!!

Vicki~ you surely are quiet lately Do you have any plans for the labor day weekend? How is your knee doing? Are you able to exercise much?

Linda~ I'm really glad that you're having a friend over for dinner It sounds like fun and you certainly deserve some fun!

Judy~
Quote:
....Just got back from the library and the grocery store. It's absolutely beautiful out. Am heading out with a cuppa and my book in a few....
sounds like a wonderful day! Do you read much? All of the librarians know my name
Quote:
I'm going to go watch my youngest DD (Sheri) and Dave take off in a Hot Air Balloon at 5:30 so dinner will be late
I hope she has a great time! I was on a hot air balloon crew and LOVED it When you go up it is so slow and graceful. Make sure she brings a camera...the views are really nicel!

Gibby~

to anyone else that checks in
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Liz, oh my knee is doing ok, thanks. It was bothering me about a month ago and I went in to see ortho doc but he said it was arthritis flaring up. Suggested cortisone or viscus injects if it gets bad enough. I am still exercising as usual, mixing it up with a variety of stuff.

I guess I have been quiet. I am back to work now so don't get on the computer as often. I think when everyone quit posting so regularly, I picked up on the same too.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning....bounced up a bit, but that's OK. Will be on plan today and tomorrow will be down again...I hope. Whatever happens, I know I am eating WAY healthier than I was when I put this weight on.

Gonna be a beautiful weekend here. 79* and sunny-to-partly-cloudy for all three days. The only day this week that they are predicting rain is on Wednesday.....and then it just "scattered showers."

I might not be going to my sister's until Spring. There was a death in her DH's family so they will be out of town (and that's when I had planned to go). Then they are going to Florida to visit their son. That trip has been planned for about 6 months. It's probably a good thing if I don't go now. That will give me a chance to get some more weight off before I go.

See ya later.....

Old 09-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's Friday's Meditation.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Too cute MUST share....

Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Too cute MUST share....

That IS too cute. Let us know how your DD liked the hot air baloon ride.

Vicki, getting back into the groove after being off in the summer must take some getting use to. Hope you and SG are planning something fun this weekend.

Gibby, how goes it. You too are being awfully quiet lately. It must run in the family

Liz, so glad you had a nice visit with your cousin. Enjoy having DH around. Even if he's busy it's nice to have him home I'm sure.

Lizzie, woohoo, u there?
Rachel, where u at?
Sam, Lei, how's it going?
And Steph, hope you afre OK. I'm praying for you.
Yvonne has been sick lately so please lift up a prayer for her.

I got some excellent news today. Jasmine's bloodwork is well in the normal range so she's definitely doing well. Romeo is doing so so. He's been having some difficulty lately in the bowel area. I'll spare you the details. I take them both in next week for a checkup.

Another day on plan. I got up and did not have to teach Spinning this morning but went anyway just to take the class. I get to work a little harder when I don't have to talk. Wendy will be back next week so I'll be back to my food coaching sessions soon.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:09 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
all

I am still here hanging around...can't give up

Went for a bike ride yesterday with DS,DGS and DDL my DH wasn't interested.

Wow we went up a great big hill at the park..had to get off for a bit and walk it..but got back on and finished..talk about arobics!!! Whew! I will do it again.

Came home and ate cheesecake with them and then on to dinner Penne' hot italian sausage and chicken...:blush: what can I say I it was a lovely day with my family..gained a couple salt pounds from the romano parmasan cheese..

Starting an excercise program at the Y on Monday,Wednesdays and Saturdays..went last Wed. it was like Boot Camp!

Liz ..it ts great that you have found family in your city...

186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 168 166 164 162 160 158 156 154 152 150
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just a quick check in to see if anyone has been here.

Linda....Sheri & Dave LOVED the hot air balloon ride. They had a blast!! She was a little afraid right at first, but only for the first minute or so....then it was just wonderful. I went to the place where they took off and watched. I'd be tempted to try it, but after watching them get in the basket, I doubt I could do that with these knees. She said getting out when they landed was a little tricky too. Guess that's a young person's activity....or at least someone who is younger and in better shape than I am.

It looks like I WILL be going to my sister's on Tuesday....so I probably won't be here every day while I'm gone.

Lizzie....Glad you're still with us. Stop in more often. It gets lonely in here when so few stop by.

Stay safe, have a good day, and enjoy the rest of the long weekend!!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone, quick check in. Roger and I went to church this morning then home for lunch and then went to the gym and in a while will go out for a rde on the Harley and go to dinner.

Judy, the hot air baloon sounds like fun. I'm afraid of heights though so I guess it's not something I'll be able t do. Good for them though to go for it. Are you still having the cool weather? I'm so jealous. Enjoy.

Lizzie, the day DOES sound lovely with your family as does the cheesecake. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We can heap enough guilt on ourselves sometimes.

Speaking of cheesecake I have to tell you a story. Cheesecake is a favorite of mine and although some are better than others I can say that I never met a cheesecake that I didn't like UNTIL recently. On July4th we were invited to a cookout and everyone was bringing something. It was a carb up day for me and I already knew that someone was bringing a homemade cheesecake that she brings every year. I really was sure to save room for the cheesecake and I got a HUGE piece and took one bite and. No kidding, it was the WORSE cheesecake I ever had. It did not even taste like cheesecake and am not sure what it tasted like except it was the first cheesecake I could not finish. Everyone lied and complimented her on the cheesecake and I'm sure she'll bring it again next year. Hasn't she fiugured out yet what REAL cheesecake tastes like?.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Speaking of cheesecake!!

If anyone is looking for something Pumpkin for Thanksgiving or Christmas, this is a GOOD one.

My DD makes this. It's really good AND it's pretty too.

This doesn't even need a crust and would be even lower carb without one, although a nut crust is MUCH lower than a graham cracker one.

Pumpkin Layer Cheesecake

Filling:
4 pkg (8 oz each) Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup pourable Splenda
1 tsp Vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT Pumpkin Pie Mix)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash each of ground cloves and nutmeg (I used Pumpkin Pie spice)

Crust: (instead of a graham cracker crust)...optional
2 cups chopped pecans
4 tbsp butter
1&1/2 tsp Splenda

Making the Crust:
Melt the butter and mix it with the Splenda and chopped pecans. Press the mixture into a 9 inch springform pan. Bake the crust in a 350 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes.

Making the filling:
Mix softened cream cheese, Splenda, and vanilla until well blended. Add eggs and mix until smooth.

Set aside 1 & 1/2 cups of the batter, spoon the rest of the batter into the crust. (Be careful not to "disturb" the pecans too much!)

Mix the pumpkin, spices and 1 & 1/2 cups of batter together, spread on top of the plain batter (there's where you get your pumpkin layer.)
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 - 40 minutes until the center is almost set. Cool, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Last edited by Parisfox; 09-06-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Old 09-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy, the pumpkin cheesecake sounds yummy.

I am enjoying the wknd with SG. We went shopping today and walked for an hour besides the shopping. Yesterday we just goofed around and rented Not Easily Broken last night.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy, that pie sounds absolutely wonderful! And I'm not a big cheese cake person, but I'll definitely try that one.

I hope everyone had a nice, peaceful Sunday. Linda, I don't know about Vicki, but I'm pretty quiet unless I have something to say

Weigh in day is tomorrow morning - I'm a little hesitant as I've had more salt than normal, but I need to see where I am.

Sleep well!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TropicLCer
Stats: 241/241/160
WOE: Modified Grey Sheet
Start Date: 09/07/09
can I join this thread? I am Stacey and need to lose around 80-85 pounds. I have done GS by the book in the past and lost around 60 pounds...then went off, due to many reasons, and gained it all back. A couple of years ago, I started going to the gym and got a trainer who put me on a very low cal/low carb diet which was more starvation than anything. I lost around 40 pounds in less than 3 months..too much, too fast, and as soon as I took a bit of something off plan I was a goner.

I am beginning the GS food plan tomorrow, with some modifications, such as not w/m'ing in restaurants, and getting back to the gym now that I have gone through and recovered from gall bladder surgery.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicLCer View Post
can I join this thread? I am Stacey and need to lose around 80-85 pounds. I have done GS by the book in the past and lost around 60 pounds...then went off, due to many reasons, and gained it all back. A couple of years ago, I started going to the gym and got a trainer who put me on a very low cal/low carb diet which was more starvation than anything. I lost around 40 pounds in less than 3 months..too much, too fast, and as soon as I took a bit of something off plan I was a goner.

I am beginning the GS food plan tomorrow, with some modifications, such as not w/m'ing in restaurants, and getting back to the gym now that I have gone through and recovered from gall bladder surgery.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
Stacey, of course you can join us. As you can see, we are a small, but mighty group of supportive people. Sometimes we are quite chatty, sometimes not. But, I know that I can always come back to this group and feel like I am "home".

What is GS?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stacey! All are welcome in this group-I'm kind of a newbie myself!

Happy Labor Day everyone....Today is a labor day for me. I "took off" Saturday and Sunday and napped, read and watched TV so I need to kick it in gear.

Today was my weigh in day - I gained 8 ounces, but I'm not going to let that get me down! "Keep on keepin' on" as our thread says.

I am going to watch my salt - I think I've had too much - and cheese - and diet pop. I started drinking more pop the last two weeks and that may be the problem. I just needed something to get the grease coating out of my mouth

Take care - stay strong - I'll talk to you all later!

Marilee

Last edited by Gibby; 09-07-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI Stacey,

I don't know what GS is, can you tell us?

I am a compulsive weigher, which is NOT a good thing. I now weigh every Monday (that helps me during the weekend). There is a gentleman on another group I'm in who weighs in the first Monday of the month. I can't weight that long!

My recommendation is to at least wait once a week, not more often. There are too many fluctuations with water, etc.

Hope I helped
Closed Thread