Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #481
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Parisfox
Stats: 247/..../160
WOE: LC & VLC
Start Date: Re-start 12/01/2013
Good morning....

I am DOWN 0.2 of a pound. Even these miniscule amounts are nice....just so it's not up!!
Parisfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #482
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
2/10# = 3oz

It all adds up, all the ounces lost. KUTGW!
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #483
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Weigh to go Paris! (Notice the pun?!)

Hi Lynn, thanks for the compliment. Wishing you well on the mext adventure in job interviewing!

Hi all..hope your day is strong, focused.

I am itching to get my sweat on! I have my 18 year old niece and my 11 year old nephew here. So not sure how to get outdoors but hope to soon.

How is everyone managing their water? I did pretty good yesterday.

C ya later
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #484
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Zer & Chantel....

I'm not doing really good on my water intake, but not really bad either. It is easier in the summer than in the winter. That's when I really struggle to get it in and usually don't manage to.

I was on plan yesterday and was DOWN 1.6 lbs this morning. Was a little off plan for lunch, but will be on plan at dinner. Hopefully the damage from lunch won't be too bad.

Have a good day, everyone and KUTGW....this WOE DOES work (so long as we work the plan)....we know that.

“Don’t promise yourself bad food as a reward for good behavior.”

"Always keep people in your life who charge your battery, not those who drain it."
Old 08-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #485
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Mostly HB eggs today...trying to catch up, clear fridge...

2pm and I'm bushed. Personal chef came by at 10am to pick some mint for a salad (parsley, cilantro, mint, cauliflower bits) and to say she will shop and cook and deliver at 5pm today: 2# poached salmon, 2doz HB eggs, parsley salad, chimichurri sauce (parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil), 4pkgs cooked bacon, 1/4# liverwurst, 1/4# turkey, and my first taste of Melle's Cheatos (cheesy meringue baked bits). She's fixing all of that this week. Will bring it by at 5pm today.

All I did was make egg salad of the dozen HB eggs still in the fridge today from what she fixed me a week ago. I'll finish that tomorrow, probably. Eating half today. While I was chopping up those eggs, I did a bleachy wash of pillowcases and towels. Just got towels folded, pillowcases back on pillows. I'm all in. Got to catch some zzz before she shows up at 5pm with more food than may fit into my shelf in the shared fridge. I need to pitch some vintage stuff out, to make room for what promises to be a weekly delivery of good LC food for me to work on. What a blessing this young woman is! So patient with me! Well worth the cash it costs me to have her help. It will be easier for both of us, I hope, when a weekly menu is set. Right now we are both working hard to connect and make sure we understand what is wanted to make this a successful working relationship. I'm too gabby, so I'm trying to admit that and to be less of a chatty Cathy, trying to stay focused. Not easy!

That's it. I'm hoping to catch an hour or so of sleep. Had 600mg ibuprofen at 3am and 8am, to see if I can cut some of the drama-queen stuff. Seems to help me move without so much groaning and carrying on. I'm sure that's a lot nicer for everyone within earshot - including me. Go figure!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #486

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/???/160-mini goal
WOE: Low carb
Good evening ladies,

Sorry I've been MIA but I was hanging by a thread the end of last week and by the weekend gave in to eating off plan . I went out of town and used that as an excuse to eat other than planned. School for my sons started yesterday (a new one at that) which kept me busy trying to get everything straight for them. I did get back to doing LC yesterday and today but still haven't been eating just M/E. I need to go to the store to restock and then it will be strict M/E!! Glad to see everyone again!!

Zer~I love your posts...you're too funny

Last edited by shari; 08-26-2008 at 04:35 PM..
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #487
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

6pm arrived...and with it a gracious personal chef bearing awesome LC food produced over 9hrs of diligent work!

While organizing my single shelf in a shared fridge, my amazing personal chef discovered butter that I did not know I had. Irish Gold butter. We also found a cream cheese dated 11/07 - that turned out to be fine in its sealed foil. I spread it on 1/4# of thin-sliced turkey and chipped on some ancient Asiago before rolling the turkey up for dinner. The rest of the cream cheese got stuffed into celery, then the rest was flavored with cherry-flavor Stevita powder for dessert. Love that fruity-flavor powder! Just 1tsp flavors 32oz of water. Wicked good in yoghurt too.

So my cluttery fridge shelf now displays 2# of poached salmon, 3 tubs of tabouli (parsley, cilantro, mint, with cauliflower and baby cuke instead of bulgar), 6 tiny pots of chimichurri sauce (parsley, cilantro, garlic), 4 ziplocs of bacon, all cooked and ready for snacks, 2doz HB eggs in cartons, several cream cheese (of more recent age than the cream cheese that I ate for dinner and dessert), a quart of yoghurt, 6eggs' worth of eggy-mayo salad, to eat up on Wed. I think that about covers what is in the fridge for me to eat this week. It looks quite inviting now. Not as scary as before.

Friday will bring back this gracious creature, with Mele's Cheatos to sample and with wild rice and quinoa (that I've had on hand for ages without cooking either) - and we shall peek into some mystery boxes in my room that I hope to rid myself of, thus gaining some floorspace and some serious airspace too!

After seeing her manage my refrigerator shelf, I believe she will work magic in my cluttery room as well. She's so patient and so good at what she does!

Last edited by Zer; 08-26-2008 at 11:57 PM..
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
Good morning all. Still on an emotional roller coaster and off plan. Now TOM has hit today and my interview is tomorrow. What a week it will be!

Wow zer, aren't you lucky to have such a creature!

My best to all of you!
lynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #489
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnp View Post
Wow zer, aren't you lucky to have such a creature!
Lucky is the word! Both the kids I found at CraigsList are really helpful. I hope I can make good use of them, while they are available to me and willing to put up with my vague and drifty ways. I can see what a short attention span I have. Catch myself skipping from one topic to another, try to get back to what I know the waiting youngster wants to know, and find myself once again - off and running in a new direction. It's weird to see myself as a gabby geezer, but that's what I am! So I bust myself on it, and hope I can stick with a topic until I get it resolved, decide what's been asked of me. Got to remember, these kids are barely 20 - and so patient, both of them!

In November, I'll contact Dora again, and use her for some errands. But this cooking, this food, this is beyond Dora's - or my - abilities. This is amazing!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:52 AM   #490
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSugarGrams
Stats: 178/162/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: June 2004
Zer....
Quote:
The rest of the cream cheese got stuffed into celery, then the rest was flavored with cherry-flavor Stevita powder for dessert. Love that fruity-flavor powder! Just 1tsp flavors 32oz of water. Wicked good in yoghurt too.
Where did you find this? I am acquiring a taste for stevia.

Just WOW on the personal chef!! Lucky you!
NoSugarGrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #491
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning...

I was off plan yesterday for lunch. Had a chicken breast wrap.

To compensate (I thought)...I had 1/2 of a cold chicken breast half and a protein shake for dinner.....and still gained 1.2 lbs!!

I figure it's mostly water, but it still sucks!! Will be on plan today for sure.

Zer....You are most fortunate to have those two people. They sound like treasures. Your food stash for the week sounds good. KUTGW!!

Lynn....maybe you will be able to concentrate on you and get back on plan after the interview is over. Hang in there, my friend....it WILL happen. You have done it before and you can do it again.

Sharon....Here's a place to get Stevia: Sweet Leaf Stevia Clear Liquid, Extract Powder and you can get the different flavors of the Stevita powder that Zer uses here: Netrition's Stevita Prices

KUTGW everyone...See ya....
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #492
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisfox View Post
Zer....You are most fortunate to have those two people. They sound like treasures. Your food stash for the week sounds good. KUTGW!!
Still have my shelf-protein stash (sardines/tuna in olive oil, salmon - bones, skin 'n' all) and onions (my favorite carb!) for the days when I don't have other LC stuff on hand. Also have a can of TJ's roast beast and some SPAM, in case of disaster. But, yes, finding folks who can and will run errands has given me a lift. I still hope to get up and OUT on my own, but no longer face a fear that I shall take a tumble trying to walk into a shop on shaky legs. That fear kept me from leaving home, so many times.

Fear is a really wicked incapacitator. Even my fear of inviting strangers into my life and handing over cash or a credit card to use on my behalf, all of that involves a trust that gives me butterflies. But, so far, it's worked out well. CraigsList has been quite a resource for me - as well as a blessing for two kids whose entrepreneurial skill I admire a LOT! Smart kids, to trade off service for cash income! Resourceful! Really good kids, both of 'em!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #493
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today is interview day again. It isn't until 3pm, so I get to stress all day. Will just take it as it goes.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #494
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eigna
Stats: 178/142/127@5',2.5"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/21/2007
[COLOR=DimGray]Good Morning Everyone:

After a 2 day stall I finally dropped 1.5 pounds this morning...have been having to force myself these past 2 weeks...The truth is Stillman's is so boring, you won't have problems with eating too much, lol I even had half a slice of pizza, and since my caloric intake was so low...I think that helped..

Chantel: I agree with everyone here, Nice to see you back! you look good!

Shari: Nice to see you too! The more the merrier!

Paris: Sorry about your gain, hope today you'll do and feel better.

Lynn: I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Everything will turn out as you deserve, don't have a doubt about that. It will always happen...

Well ladies, I'm off to get ready. I always feel like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland "I'm late! I'm late! I'm late! " lol

Take Care,

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Eigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #495
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Today's the 28th; five days left to find my way to any sort of Aug. weight loss. I shall weigh on Sept.1 and record August loss (I hope) from 8/1 (391.0). Sigh. Am I the only one who panics in the final days, slips into diet mentality to get the last possible ounce to show up on the scale? I hate that mentality, but it is something that I fall into, even when I manage to stay off the scale and try to focus on eating right, making good LC choices and minding portion size. Sighs.

The good news is that I have located helpers and have resources that I did not have for so long. Surely this will produce results and better nutrition. Surely!

Thanks to able assistance, I have 2doz HB eggs in the fridge, plus 2# of salmon so beautifully poached in chicken broth that it is a pleasure to fork its flaky pink flesh. The tabouli salad with cauliflower is fragrant with mint. The chimichurri sauce is garlicky and waiting to try out with the salmon. I predict success!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #496

Awww, thanks Angie.

Keep good thoughts Lynn!!

Today is a lot of eggs for me as well Zer.

I am determined to have a ketosis weekend.

No cheats! I can do it, I can do it.

Off to workout this morning
Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #497
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer View Post
Would you eat jerky from a site that offers "human-grade" jerky as dog treats? My guess is that these ARE fit for human consumption but are marketed as dog treats for some reason. What do you think?
BINGO! I think I found the answer to why a food MIGHT be labeled as a doggie treat:
Quote:
Human renal function varies significantly from canine renal function, and most dried meat products sold in the US contain Sodium Nitrite at some concentration. ...there is a caveat in FDA regulation of dried meats which allows jerky for dogs ... to be dried without the use of nitrate/nitrite preservatives. From DoggieNews.
So this is jerky without nitrates/nitrates. Sounds good to me!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #498
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Today is all about poached salmon with chimichurri sauce, along with bacon and HB eggs, and tabouli too. Just could not find room for the avocado! Ate about half of today's pound of salmon midday. Will consume the rest as the day progresses. The chimichurri sauce is garlicky, the tabouli is minty. I'm so spoiled! I think I could pass up a potato chip if someone offered it to me!

I am not expecting a miracle by Sept.1 - as today's weight is 395.6 (down from 396.2 on 8/25; but higher than 391.0 on 8/1, alas). I'm eating a LOT, so I'd better get to ****** to shovel these recipes in to compute carbs from all the parsley-cilantro-mint that I'm enjoying. I'd just feel better about enjoying all this if I knew for sure I was close to 5% carbs. Guess I'll work on ****** now.

Today's plan is...
1# poached salmon in broth
1cup chicken broth (I'll drink the broth after I finish the salmon in it)
6 HB eggs
1/2#(?) TJ uncured bacon
2cups tabouli (parsley, mint, cauliflower, young cuke, olive oil, lemon)
1/4cup chimichurri sauce (parsley, cilantro, mint, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, shallots)

FAT???
? avocado, if I can manage...it's ripe and I need the fat ...but...uh...uh...
? pecans? got some in the freezer, for fat ...but...it's so far away from me...and I'm so full...hmm, VCO is right here!

add that to my 5am hot slosh (1oz WPP, Tbs espresso crystals, Tbs raw cacao)

Last edited by Zer; 08-28-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #499

Zer,
lol, bingo! No no nitrates is a good thing.

So far so good on plan...its tonight where I will struggle.

What can I do? What can I say to myself? How do I stay away from whatever is off the plan?

What are your tricks?
Old 08-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #500
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
So far so good on plan...its tonight where I will struggle.

What can I do? What can I say to myself?
How do I stay away from whatever is off the plan?

What are your tricks?
Plan to have ample LC protein-fat stuff on hand. I've been able to stave off or satisfy my Feast Beast with a tin of sardines in olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar (not often, but a nice occasional treat). Melle's Cheatos are eggwhite meringues with cheese folded in; a protein-fat LC snack! HB egg satisfies me too. Not a lot of damage any of these can do, no matter how many/much it takes to quell the munchies! Anything like this in your fridge or cupboard?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #501
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR=DimGray]Chantel,

Now that I go to bed early I find I have NO CRAVINGS at all...so my BEST advice would be to get in bed before the cravings begin. If that's not possible, I always tell everyone: TEA...or a light hot cocoa, or a 1 minute muffin, Sugar free jello is also a life saver....and if I need something salty like cheetos or popcorn (this is going to gross some people out) I just lick Doritos, or cheetos, or whatever flavor I'm craving....Sugar free creamcicles and fudgecicles work wonders as well...If I haven't eaten much during the day, I'll heat up half a cup of cottage cheese, with a pinch of salt, splenda and cinnamon and it's VERY satisfying, after that LOTS of Crystal Light to feel even fuller.....hmmm....and I can't think of anything else...when we're bored, we tend to eat....that's just it....either get VERY busy or go to bed early...
And of course, we're always here for you!

Good Luck.
[/COLOR]
Old 08-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnp View Post
Today is interview day again. It isn't until 3pm, so I get to stress all day. Will just take it as it goes.
Lynn....How did the interview go?

Angie....thanks. I was on plan and was DOWN 1.2 this morning. Was on plan again today. Shake for lunch; 6 oz. pork chop & a salad w/Bleu Cheese dressing for dinner. Should be OK.

Hey, Zer....KUTGW...

Chantel...I second Angie's suggestions for snacks.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:01 AM   #503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everybody! Congrats to losers and hugs to others.

The interview was great and I focused on selling myself. They made their decision yesterday so it in now a waiting game. They want the person to start in 30 days, or as soon as the HR folks in Philadelphia make the offer and it is signed. I offer a list of references and they listed off a bunch of reference letters they had already received for me and that I wasn't aware of...I don't want to think too hard on it since I thought the last one went well too!

I WILL DO THIS AND CHANGE MY LIFE!!

Highest ever: 316
Size 24/26

restart: 15Jun10
Jan 1, 2011 Size 20 and still losing!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #504
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Lynn, how immensely gratifying, to hear that your friends are offering letters on your behalf! How does that feel, that recognition and approval by your peers? I bet you are walking on air! Let come what may, this interview process has given you SUCH a nice message from people who admire you!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #505
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Sigh...not even CLOSE to my target 182gProtein daily...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer
I'm pushing a LOT of protein lately, like a pound of fish a day, over a few hours of forking it into me. Protein is hard for me, as if it fills me up fast, so I work at getting it into me. This is a big shift for me, from eating a few meals off a can of fish (6-7oz) over a few days - with mayo in abundance - to setting up a pound of fish in olive oil with chopt onion. More Mediterranean, with olive oil. Easier to get into me. I do not get to my 182g target for protein grams, but I aim high and am happy when I get close by managing my protein in a way that just HAS to be fueling my muscles to get stronger.
Just found this info at Kasilof Seafoods:
Quote:
One ˝ lb. fillet of Coho Salmon has 289 calories, 42.8 grams of protein, 11.7 grams of fat, 2.4 grams of saturated fat and 91 milligrams of sodium.
So 1# of salmon has 85.6gProtein, 23.4gFat, 578cals - and I am not even halfway to my target 182gProtein as I eat a pound of fish a day. Agh! I'm adding 6 HB eggs daily at 6-7gProtein each. It all adds up - slowly.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning....I was on plan yesterday and am DOWN 0.4 of a pound. Another on-plan day in the works. Having a shake for lunch and a steak and salad for dinner.

Lynn....I'll bet you that both interviews DID go well. You were in control of what you did in the interviews, sadly, just not in control of the jerks that were jerking the applicants around the first time. Here's hoping the ones making the decision this time are more astute. Good thoughts coming your way. You are still way ahead of where you were last year at this time. At least you now are employed and at the place (if not the perfect job) that you wanted....a government position. Zer is right....one perk to all this stress is knowing what your co-workers think of you.

Zer....how did you come up with needing 182 grams of protein a day? That sounds like an awful lot. You might not have to "force" that much in. You have said that it is hard to do. I can't remember where the calculators are online, but in the Protein Power Lifeplan by the Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades, 46g at each meal is the top requirement which would be 138g per day. You might want to do some research. You can probably back off somewhat if you want to.

Congrats to the losers out there.

Hugs to those who are struggling.

Work your plan....and your plan will work.

Have a great day (and weekend) everyone. KUTGW
Old 08-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Zer....that 138g of protein for the top weights that I quoted from PPLP is a minimum amount. You can have more if you want, but you don't NEED to eat more if you don't want to.

I had another on-plan day.

L: Protein Shake
D: 8.4 oz. NY Strip Steak; Salad (lettuce, radish, celery, Ranch w/a little Bleu Cheese Crumbles)

Wishing everyone a good Labor Day weekend!!

See ya all tomorrow!!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #508
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Someone calculated for me the 182gProtein target, and I think that my weight then was 432# or something like that. Some calculators do not function for an extremely obese person. So...whoever worked out that target may have done some extrapolation, based on my inert state of "activity" and age and whatnot.

I fall far short of 182gProtein most days, according to what I see at ****** (when I go there). With a pound of fish a day, I am not even getting half of that target, so ... no danger of having too much protein. At least that's what I conclude.

Last edited by Zer; 08-29-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer View Post
Someone calculated for me the 182gProtein target, and I think that my weight then was 432# or something like that. Some calculators do not function for an extremely obese person. So...whoever worked out that target may have done some extrapolation, based on my inert state of "activity" and age and whatnot.

I fall far short of 182gProtein most days, according to what I see at ****** (when I go there). With a pound of fish a day, I am not even getting half of that target, so ... no danger of having too much protein. At least that's what I conclude.
Zer...that's good. As your weight goes down, so goes your minimum protein requirement. I don't think there is danger in getting too much protein, unless you have kidney problems, it's just that getting too many calories trying to get that protein can slow the weight loss. Your body will burn what you eat before it burns your stored fat. That's the only problem. That's why I like the protein shakes for one of my meals. Most of the shakes that I make have 46g of protein and only 245 calories. The Pumpkin Pie Shakes have 265 calories because of the canned pumpkin that I put in. But that's a pretty nice protein load without all the calories.

That said, On-plan days do pay off. At least part of the time. Was on plan yesterday and I am DOWN 1.4 lbs. YAY!!

Gonna be a hot weekend....but thank goodness, the humidity will be low. In the low 90s today, tomorrow, and Monday. No rain. Then it will drop to the upper-70s. Now, that's my kinda weather. Our University Football game (The Cornhuskers) is today. I don't envy those guys. It will be hot on the field. I wouldn't even want to be in the crowd. I'll be kickin' back on my balcony swing with a beer and a book. Oh, no...I guess it'll be Ice Tea and a book.

My menu for today will be:

L: Protein Shake
D: Rotisserie Chicken; Salad w/Ranch

Gotta keep that scale headed in the right direction. Have a great weekend everyone....and KUTGW!!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #510
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR=DimGray]Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi...I'll be gone for the weekend and won't be able to read your posts...My weight is still dropping, little by little getting near my pre-cheat 135 weight...although I think it's easily going to take me another 3 weeks to a month...I only lose ounces a day...Thankfully, work has helped, because I don't have time to think of food, and I have everything planned and ready when I get home..I'm also so tired when I get home , I go to bed early and don't get those horrible nightly cravings...
Well, that's my story on this side...Congratulations on your weight loss [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Paris![/COLOR]! and I'm keeping my fingers crossed about your interview [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Lynn[/COLOR]!
[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Zer[/COLOR], you gave me a GREAT idea with your personal chefs...It's a way of making a little extra income later on...I'll probably PM you later, so I can get some ideas...
Oh well, I have to go...Have yourselves a beautiful weekend ladies!
See you all soon!

[/COLOR]