Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Parisfox
Stats: 247/..../160
WOE: LC & VLC
Start Date: Re-start 12/01/2013
Awwwwww......Lynn....I'm so sorry. I will never understand why people do that. Why do they even post a job when they know damn well who they are going to give it to. And if it's going to the current holder of the position, they don't "have" to post it, do they?

...my friend.

Here's something that is well worth everyone taking a look at. Maybe it will cheer you up. I got it in an email from a friend and it's REALLY neat.

========================================

Hummingbirds....

A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all
the way from the egg to leaving the nest. It took 24 days
from birth to flight.

Keep in mind the egg is smaller than a tic tac
and a quarter fits the opening of the nest!
This is truly amazing.

Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page;
There are 5 pages in all.

Because you'll probably never in your lifetime see this
again, enjoy...and please share it with your friends.

Hummer Nest '05

“Don’t promise yourself bad food as a reward for good behavior.”

"Always keep people in your life who charge your battery, not those who drain it."
Parisfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #452
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: Atkins
Lynn~sorry to hear the bad news!! Hope you get a position deserving of your talent and dedication very soon!! Don't worry about tonight..tomorrow's another day. Just get back on plan!! We're here for you.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #453
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Zer
Stats: 5'10"; 65; 508.7/_320.0_/199
WOE: Atkins: <5%Carb; J-UD/DD(<2798/560cals); 128ozH2O
Start Date: Got scale at 432.4(2/8/08); 376.8(2/8/09)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnp View Post
Hi guys...feeling a little sick. I found out in a very unprofessional manner that the job and interview were pretty much all a joke and the position was always going to the current holder---an active duty person who doesn't even retire until 11/1/08. I am being told by the Office of Special Counsel that this sounds like it needs to be reported and investigated. Don't know what to do...feel numb and very used.
Lynn, it's THEIR loss! I'm not sure what reporting it will do, as I believe it is a common practice to advertise and interview for positions that are not actually open. Fairness in advertising some positions seems to be satisfied in the legal sense by going through the motions even though everyone involved on the hiring side of the table KNOWS that there is a designated person who will end up being "chosen" after all the candidates are "considered" and discovered to be not quite as good as the pre-selected candidate. Sorry to say, it's done all the time. Sorry it had to happen to you, in spite of the great references you got from people who are SURE that you are worthy and capable.

A joke? Not a joke as much as an accepted practice. Sorry to say. Sigh.
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:42 AM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
Thanks guys...back on plan. Sad to say that I am feeling less enthusiasm about my job today and about giving my all for the organization. I don't like that feeling. It is not me.

The complaint wouldn't be about how they did this, but the legality of it. I am being told that it isn't legal for an active duty person to be hired into their exact same position as a civilian without some time between retirement and hiring. The current position holder is active duty with more than 2 months before she even becomes retired. That is where the impropriety and illegal practices seem to be. Also, one of the other nurses who was considering applying had asked to see the position description and was told that she could look at it in the human resources office, but was not allowed to keep a copy. She was told that for both of the jobs I applied for...seems to me that they were hiding something or acting in a suspicious manner.

I WILL DO THIS AND CHANGE MY LIFE!!

Highest ever: 316
Size 24/26

restart: 15Jun10
Jan 1, 2011 Size 20 and still losing!

Last edited by lynnp; 08-19-2008 at 03:48 AM..
lynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 AM   #455
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Sounds as if the HR dept needs to be reminded that bending the law has consequences. So sorry you feel less enthusiastic about your job. Do think of the appreciation displayed by those who gave you glowing references, without you even knowing what they were doing. Clearly you ARE appreciated by those who really know you. Sorry that HR is not aware of your qualifications. Dodos!
Old 08-19-2008, 04:02 AM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Zer.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 AM   #457
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

I've worked a lot of companies and have to agree with a supv who told me that "HR has no idea what we do" as textbook editors. I wonder how many HR reps are clueless about the true value of an employee or about the demands of a job that they are charged to hire someone for. Seems to me that HR has all sorts of notions that have little or nothing to do with discovering really valuable folks to fill positions. My last employment was a temp job, hiring staff for state jobs with a county fair - and my HR supv was unaware of how important it is to be open to hiring handicapped people. The hiring trailer had rickety steps to climb and was tucked in an inaccessible place. When I made an effort to accommodate a man in a motorized wheelchair, she acted as if HE was being difficult, as if HE should manage without accommodation. I got him hired and got him set up with a photo I.D. (carried the computer camera outside and shot him as he sat in his motorized wheelchair at the foot of the rickety steps). She felt he did not deserve any consideration. She's been in her job so long that she was still functioning at pre-accommodation levels. I think there are many such folks in HR, who are not up to speed on how hiring practices have changed in recent years. Got feedback on him, as he was hired for security work, just watching people in a gallery of displays. He did the job. He needed help to empty a bladder bag, and had no assistant with him. Awkward, but not an impossible situation. At least he got hired the summer that *I* was there!

Got a LOT of satisfaction from the number of people I got into jobs, people who had not worked before or filled out job apps before. I loved helping them to discover that they HAD good work experience as volunteers and that they HAD good references from the folks they had done small tasks for.

That was a great temp job for me. Tried to get back on the next year, but they did not need me. Guess I rocked their boat. Oh, well...I had fun!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was DOWN 2.2 lbs this morning!! YAY!!!

Lynn....if there are anonymous ways to report this, I would. This happens all the time in civilian life, but if there are military rules against this, they should NOT be allowed to do it. Especially since the Office of Special Counsel thinks so too. Can't they do something without involving your name?

Good luck. You KNOW we are here for you.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eigna
Stats: 178/142/127@5',2.5"
Start Date: 03/21/2007
[COLOR=DimGray]Good Morning Everyone!

It's been AWFULLY slow in here!

I've been dropping almost 1 pound a day since Monday...Now that I'm out of the house and on my feet for over 12 hours, it seems easy to forget about food!
I roasted an entire young turkey breast on Sunday, and have been eating it thru the week in soup, alone, letucce sandwishes and whatever else you can think of...that an 3-4 eggs...it's working, but let's see how it goes this weekend!
I'm missing so many people! Hope everythings alright in your lives, even if not in your eating habits, we need you!

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Paris:[/COLOR] Congrats on the loss

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Lynn:[/COLOR] sorry to hear the news

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Zer [/COLOR]and [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Duece:[/COLOR] HI!!

I wanted to ask you ladies to post recipes of easy cottage cheese desserts, you know how it is with me and the kitchen! Please? Any suggestions?

I'll talk to you all later, take care of yourselves and have a beautiful day!

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Eigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #460
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Cinnamon and/or nutmeg (fresh-grated is best)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigna View Post
...easy cottage cheese desserts...
How about adding some thermogenic cinnamon or fresh-grated nutmeg to cottage cheese for a flavorful twist? Lemon zest is a nice touch too.

Berries? Sure! Blueberries and nutmeg? OMG, unbelievable!

I'm enjoying adding Stevita fruit-flavored powder to water (1tsp flavors 32oz) as well as sprinkling it on yoghurt. Might be great on cottage cheese too!

Last edited by Zer; 08-21-2008 at 07:04 AM..
Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Angie! Congrats on your losses! KUTGW!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #462
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrissym
Stats: 140/133/120...5'2"
WOE: 1st 5 lbs w/Stillman's rest Stillman's w/HCG
Start Date: July 4, 2011
The recipe sounds delightful.

I am struggling as I said in the Stillman's thread. This is hard. But I know it is all about mind over matter. I must get this happening.

All the best, ladies!!
chrissym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Browneyez
Stats: 220/145/135 Started M/E @195 June 4, 2007
WOE: M/E
Start Date: Sept 2003
Happy Friday!

[COLOR="Navy"]Good Friday morning Ladies!

I m back to school and still trying to get used to the idea. We have a small class this year.......18 to be exact. The kids are a good group and I have a feeling a good year awaits us all! I think now that I am back into a routine losing weight might come a bit easier. I have a few to lose in addition to the ten I would like to get off to reach goal! I am going to quit talking about it and start taking action!!!

Lynn- to you and I am so sorry about the job.....it truly is not right but I know in my heart there is something better out there for you. YOU DESERVE IT!

Paris and Angie-Congrats on the weight loss ladies!......KUTGW!!!!

Where are all the familiar faces of days past? You are missed...please just come back to say hello!

Zer-Your recipe sounds delightful, thanks for sharing!

I wish you all a weekend full of smiles as well as losses! Take care one and all and as always be happy and keep smiling!

[/COLOR]

People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning.
– Lao-Tzu
"Don't allow YESTERDAY to take up too much of TODAY!!"

Starting Date June 4th,2007 @ 195-, 156,155,154,153,152,151,150,149,148,147,146
145,144,143, 142,141,...125,
Browneyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #464

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
Good morning ladies,

I'm still here, just reevaluating my eating. I've been stalling for awhile (part my fault for going off plan a day here and there) but for the most part..I've been on plan. Yet, I keep hovering around 191-188. I think the only thing different I haven't been doing (that I did the first time doing Atkins)is not eating veggies more often. Even if I don't do it everyday..I usually did eat some every other day to every 3rd day or so. I think it may be what I need to change things up a bit and get me past 188. So I going to try this and see if it helps!! Still want to do primarily M/E for breakfast and dinner though.

Congrats Angie on losing 1lb/day!!
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #465

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Hi!
I am still doing meat and eggs as best I can. had a little run in with a beautiful tub full of hummus...awww, my weakness. But otherwise, a-ok.

Lynn, egads. I have know companies to do that mock interview process before. My old company! It s-u-c-k-s! What a waste of time and emotional time too boot. I am sorry you had to be a part of that!!

KiM! 18 kids in your class, not bad, not bad! So please, do try and post often! You inspire

Today is hard boiled eggs, chicken and tuna.

I am working out this am.

Hi to all the posters here!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Kim and Chantal!

I heard today that I have an interview for the Case Manager job next Thursday at 3PM! Here we go again! I did call a nurse recruiter and she asked for my resume since they will be hiring a case manager soon and haven't yet posted the job. She will be forwarding my resume to the head of Case Management. It is a long distance away, but if it is a bargaining chip or a high paying job, I am sending my resume in for consideration!!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #467
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck, Lynn....my fingers are still crossed for you.

Only have a minute....gotta run. See you again soon....
Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Judy.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #469
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Good luck, Lynn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnp View Post
I heard today that I have an interview for the Case Manager job next Thursday at 3PM! Here we go again! I did call a nurse recruiter and she asked for my resume since they will be hiring a case manager soon and haven't yet posted the job. She will be forwarding my resume to the head of Case Management. It is a long distance away, but if it is a bargaining chip or a high paying job, I am sending my resume in for consideration!!
Good for you. Just keep looking. The right job is waiting for you. I'm sure of it. Too bad for the folks who miss getting you!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Zer. There are people still pushing the issue on the other job. Chiefs going to the highest level in the command and others going to their Congressmen about the hiring issues there...I don't think the changes are over!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lynn....where there is life, there is hope. This might turn out OK after all. One positive thing in all of this (whether you get the job or not) is finding out your coworkers appreciate you. That is definitely a plus.

I'm up again. 0.6 of a pound. Could be fluid. I feel puffy. Will be off plan for dinner. I have a b-day dinner to go to. They are grilling out and I am going to eat a brat bun!! Since I am "planning" on eating it, does that mean I AM on plan? I didn't think so.

Will be back on plan tomorrow. See you then.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #472
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

Lynn, ask those wonderful co-workers for a letter. I have a file of such letters and it really makes my spirit soar to read what people have put into words. It may or may not come in handy as references as you interview for a new job, but it will always lift your spirits. Take my word for it.

Scale shows my weight is up this morning. Too many carbs, even raw green beans and raw asparagus - full of fiber and so wonderfully green in flavor - seem to have tilted me into a maintenance bOunCe when what I want to see is a weight loss. So I'm committing to fish'n'eggs for a 7day push to get under my Aug.1 weight of 391.0 - from today's 397.4 (eeek! but it's just data, just data, just data - not a moral judgment!). Okay, so I have some green carbs coming to me Wed from a personal chef who is making parsley-cilantro-mint salad for me and a parsley-cilantro-garlic pesto condiment too, but I shall hit more fish and egg and watch even the green carbs as I press on to find my way under 390. Soon, I hope!

Last edited by Zer; 08-23-2008 at 09:42 AM..
Old 08-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #473
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was thinking about that last night Zer. I think I will do that to send in with my other resume too.

Hugs on the green carbs...it is hard in summer with all the great produce! I have been off plan with all the stress and need to get back on and back to losing.

Last edited by lynnp; 08-23-2008 at 03:24 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning....

I knew I was going to be off plan for dinner last night since I was going to the birthday cook-out. I got smart and hollowed out most of the bun for my Italian sausage, so I just had like a shell. I figured less carbs that way. But then....I had "to-die-for" triple chocolate cake AND ice cream. So, I am UP 2 very deserved pounds. Am back on plan now and I MUST stay that way.

Am off to church in a few minutes.....
Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eigna
Stats: 178/142/127@5',2.5"
Start Date: 03/21/2007
[COLOR=DimGray]Good Morning Everyone:

I'm down 0.6 of a pound today, the least I've lost the whole week...Still doing Stillmans, but cannot manage to eat the 6 meals...I do have 2 mini breakfasts...one at 5 am and the other at 7:45 before I leave for work..
Lunch is at 12 noon and dinner at around...sometimes with a snack at around 7....but since I'm so busy, and go to bed at 9, I'm not battling with cravings at all...It was a total of 4.3 pounds this weeks, so I'm glad...I haven't exercised since Tuesday, which I think would've helped...this week things should be more normal, so we'll see....My brother is coming in 3 weeks, and then my mom on September 24...and I want to look my best....unfortunately, they don't agree with how I look, and they're always asking me to gain a few...so let's see how THAT goes...
I'm missing a lot of you guys! I know some are on vacation, but it gets so quiet in here! Hope to see everyone else soon...
Zer, Lynn, Chantel, Browneyes and Paris a big hug!

Will see you all later...Have a beautiful Sunday..
[/COLOR]
Eigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WTG Angie! You are so inspiring!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #477

Morning everyone,
a lazy hazy day...but will try and get out with the kid to play at the park.

I have on hand chicken and some meatballs. I am struggling eating another egg.

Goal today is lots of water - instead of Diet coke.

So let me go an fill up my bottle right now!

Happy Sunday
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #478
Zer
Big Yapper!!!!

So good, how you are managing your weight loss. You look wonderful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigna View Post
I'm down 0.6 of a pound today, the least I've lost the whole week...Still doing Stillmans.... It was a total of 4.3 pounds this week....

...My brother is coming in 3 weeks, and then my mom on September 24...and I want to look my best....unfortunately, they don't agree with how I look, and they're always asking me to gain a few...so let's see how THAT goes.
I'm a LONG WAY from the point when anyone will complain I'm too small, but I am wondering how best to handle this when it happens. I've been over 400# for more than half of my 64yrs, so I'm sure seeing me at 200 will shock some folks who have always known me as big, wide, hefty. If I get down to 150 (a fine weight for a 5'10" person), I will hear comments and complaints from a few well-meaning folks. What advice do you give, who now hear comments that are critical of your current weight? How do you defend your achieved goal and your healthier weight? I'm listening.

Meanwhile, I've got to get better about keeping my carbs down to 5% calorie ratio. I know that anyone weight can do better at losing weight on a daily basis, instead of bOunCing around and maintaining at too-high a weight. You are an inspiration to work harder at beefing up my protein-fat intake!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #479

Zer,
I have had a few comments before, especially saying to not lose more weight. I just say "Its a personal decision" and change the subject. It takes practise. lol

Everyone around is so opinionated! Even me..I am guilty of it. So that helps me realize this too shall pass.

It sometimes makes ya rattle when people go "Wow! You lost a lot of weight! How much do you weigh?!" lol..how personal! But I did come to a realization that by saying the number I weighed, it helped me accept the journey. That probably made no sense.
And thie kicker is, I weigh more then I look I think. I have muscles God gave me - and I did not earn them.lol..so I have this comment to deal with.."WOW! You don't look that heavy!" lol..um, thanks, I think? what the heck?

Hang tough cookie...you are gonna blow everyone socks off
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chantel you look great! I always have looked smaller than the scale. I was almost in a size 12 at 200 pounds so we all wear it differently. KUTGW!