Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Great post Delynmonet.

You are such a sensible person and give great advice. I appreciate it even though I am, like you, virtually at goal.

Thanks.
Kissa,

Aaaaawwwwe . . . ., you make me blush! :blush: Thanks for the compliment and the encouragement. Yes, I see that you are shortly at goal - keep up the great work!

Here, at LCF's that's what we have to do, stand by each other's side. Truly, I started this Advantage Shake Routine thread to share what I was doing, how it worked for me and give (and get) ideas about how lowering calories and carbs could help with weight loss. I have even read others' posts about adjusting fat intake. I am very glad that you appreciate the thread, as well as so many others who have given me support. So, we all share here and are happy to do so.

Again, thanks and lots of success to you, too! And, by the way, I am still counting down to 140 . . . !

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Update -

I am still doing the Advantage Shakes Routine but now at least 4-5 days, as I incorporate a few meals since I am close to goal.

My weight still ranges from 145 to 147 - I am soooo happy!!! Yet, in the afternoons, my rings are still practically falling off and twisting around my fingers. In the mornings, I notice that sometimes I retain water then by the afternoon, it's gone.

Anyway, since January, I have lost a total of 1 3/4 in. off the thighs, 3/4 in. off the arms (WHICH NEVER SEEMS TO LOSE), 1 1/4 off the butt, 1/2 in. off the hips, and 1/2 in. off the waist. My bust registers the same (that's good). My clothing are sagging . . . and people are constantly saying that I look "skinny," including DH - actually I am where I wanted to be, not too thin and not too close to 150! So, every INCH is a SINCH!! Even if you think that you are not losing, but yet keeping on plan, the inches are decreasing at some point of your weight loss journey!

My doctor told me that the cholesterol test was "excellent". This is the first time I've ever taken the test. He said the HDL (good) was 56; the LDL (bad) was 87; triglycerides - 40; CACL Ratio: 2.7 and a total of 151 (???). I will have to do research on what all of that means. My blood pressure was 110 over 80. What all of that means is that diet and exercise is extremely important to maintaining good health, and it also means that my plan is working. That's what matters.

Good health and success to you all as you continue on your journey!! Still counting down to 140 . . . !
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

WELL . . . .

Could I ask for much more? I'm 144!!!

This evening, I decided to weigh myself since again the rings have been flipping back and forth, etc. The scale read 144!! And, that's after eating and drinking fluids most of the morning! WOOHOOO!!!

Actually, I haven't weighed myself in the evening for quite some time now - so I could have been at 144 for a while and just didn't notice it. When I weigh myself, it is usually in the mornings, but I have been noticing that my rings would do that twisting, turning thing around 2:00 pm or so.

The closer I get to goal, the weight slowly (but surely) is coming down! So, according to my pattern, I will range from 144-146 for a while and then I will drop.

Inches have definitely been coming off . . . . I guess it finally added up to a pound DOWN!!

Last edited by delynmonet; 03-13-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tibby
Stats: 185\174\140
WOE: loosely Atkins
Start Date: March 2001 (lonngg pause in the middle)
Congrats Dely! Every little bit does add up, doesn't it?
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

UPDATE . . . . .!!!

I am in the "place" to be at 143!!!!

This evening before dinner, after a whole day of two Atkins Shakes, decaf coffee, and water . . . . I weighed in at 143 and 35.5 % body fat! (Down 5.5% body fat from 41% in November.) Finally, 18 lbs. down and only 3 more to go . . . WOOHOOO!!!

I was noticing that I am in the "losing inches" stage - my leather pants are beginning to sag and has space in them. So, when we think that we are not losing because the numbers on the scale are not moving, we can be reassured according to how our clothing fits, i.e., looser skirts, baggy pants, stockings wrinkling a bit . . . may sound silly, but it's definitely a sure way to "measure."

Last edited by delynmonet; 03-30-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/139.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Wow. I have been wanting to do a shake fast for a long time, but I never knew others doing it and didn't really want to do it alone. I'm a part of a few challenges, and I thought people would yell at me if I told them what I REALLY was eating everyday.

I have a great LC protein shake made with stevia that I love love love. I want to do a shakefast like you guys! I am a slow loser, and only lose weight when I get super strict, either with VERY low calories, or only meat/egg. I think a shake meal replacement would help-- so I could still have 3 meals a day, and still have a "real" meal when I am around other people (about 1x/day).

Which meal do you guys normally have "real" food at?

Do any of you use coconut oil? I am thinking about adding it to my shakes, as it is supposed to increase metabolism, help my skin, and help my thyroid. Do you think there is a calorie limit one should still abide by?

My shakes are 110 calories, and a TB of coconut oil is 120 calories. How many calories do you think my "shake" meal should have? I figured in comparison-- the Atkins shakes (which I can't drink because of dairy & splenda) are 170 calories (9g fat, 20g protein). My shake would be 22g protein and 13g of fat. I could adjust this to be lower in calories.

Any suggestions? I also have the glucomannan fiber (the kind in shiritaki noodles), that thickens and forms a gelatin-like texture. Do any of you add fiber to your drinks? Or make it pudding?

I really want to do this. I think I would lose weight quickly if I just found something manageable and strict to follow. Otherwise I can find an excuse to eat every LC food imaginable!

Now Dr. Samantha42, thanks to this website.

Internist, Endocrine Fellow
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Samantha42,

Wow, you have some interesting questions that I personally do not have the answers to. All that I can say is that I have my real meal at dinner time. I am doing the shakes now 4-5 days a week, instead of 7 days since I am 3 lbs closer to goal. I have lost a total of 18 lbs and the inches just seem to have fallen off. This morning when I measured my waist I read 29 1/2 coming down from approximately a size 34 waist. I will check my records for more accuracy on that number.

I don't use coconut oil or add fiber as I have been drinking Atkins' Ready to Drink Shakes since I started the routine.

Maybe someone else can add more substance. But, for me, I lost the weight that I wanted to and I know for a fact that it was because of the exercise, coupled with lowering my caloric intake and my carbs. And, I FEEL GREAT!!!

Still counting down to 140!

Last edited by delynmonet; 04-06-2007 at 09:50 PM..
Old 04-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Samantha42
Stats: 205/139.6/150 5'6" 31y/o
WOE: Mod Carb/Paleo/IF
Thanks for getting back to me!

You have had amazing success. Still doing 4-5 days a week is great! Do you find that you're hungry at all? How much are you exercising?

Well... I'm going to try it out, probably Monday or Tuedsy. I'll let you know how it goes!
Samantha42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

After 4 or 5 hours, then I hungry, but if I drink water or have decaf coffee in between, I do pretty well. I feel extremely lighter inside the body and out now. My clothing fits much better and I have more energy. I also take vitamins daily.

As far as exercise goes, I walk the treadmill 3-5 days a week on average. So, there's a total routine going on.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slim@40
Stats: 165/150/130
WOE: low carb
Delynmonet!
You are doing a wonderful job!! I'm currently on Weight Watchers and drinking the 2 shakes a day (@4 points each) but I'm eating way too many carbs so the weight is coming off slow. I'll be on vacation all next week and when I get back it will be strict induction then transition back into the "DelynMonet Plan" around May 1st!
slim@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim@40 View Post
Delynmonet!
You are doing a wonderful job!! I'm currently on Weight Watchers and drinking the 2 shakes a day (@4 points each) but I'm eating way too many carbs so the weight is coming off slow. I'll be on vacation all next week and when I get back it will be strict induction then transition back into the "DelynMonet Plan" around May 1st!

Slim@40 - Great to hear from you . . . . I think that eating too many carbs and eating too much low carbs has the same effect . . . slow or no loss of weight! For example, I used to buy Breyer's CarbSmart Ice Cream (ooooooohhhhhh talk about heaven!!!) and could not stop eating it (especially the Butter Pecan) . . . . I gained needless to say, as well as coupling that with Atkin's candy bars (the one that tastes like a Snickers was my favorite) - so even the low carb "overeating" phase got to me back then.

Anyway, the two shakes a day worked for me and still is. Today, my tights were feeling a little loose around the leg and thigh area . . . my hubby has lost weight by drinking two protein shakes a day (but he then goes back into his carb eating and really is maintaining what he has lost) - he purchases something from GNC - I can see the weight loss in his face and the tummy went down a little too.

Well, whatever you're doing, I wish you much success . . . but slow and easy is the best way to lose and keep it off! WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Still counting down to 140!

Last edited by delynmonet; 04-07-2007 at 07:36 PM..
Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #192

Gallery: jsws
Stats: 236/201/146
Start Date: June 12, 2006
Is anybody still doing the shakes two times a day? I was just curious on your progress.
jsws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I am . . . .

Not at 140 yet - still ranging from 143-145. My inches are definitely coming off - I am at 35% body fat (goal is 34% or less). Got into a skirt this morning that I could not fit since 2004 and still had room!

The shakes help me to maintain a low calorie and low carb lifestyle, which keeps my weight down and therefore, my blood pressure is stabilized. I have been eating 2-3 times a day on average for 2 or 3 days per week - the rest of the days is strictly 2 drinks and one meal, since I am no longer on my 90-day plan. I am loving it . . .
Old 05-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Low Carb Mommy
Stats: 175/118 /New wt. 153/123/115
WOE: Atkins & Watching Calories-Starting over
Start Date: September 2006/2014
Are you eating a normal meal for your third meal for the day? If so, what are you eating at that meal. I would love to see your menus. Thanks.
Low Carb Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Low Carb Mommy:

I eat a normal meal - I don't have particular menus. Every meal is meat, veggies and plenty of salad - only Atkins allowable foods.

I don't eat starch or sugars - only low carb bread every once in a while (1 slice).

I drink decaf coffee with a little bit of heavy cream, seltzer water or diet Sunkist (I monitor that, too), and water throughout the day.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you delynmonet for responding to me. This might be something that I will try out. Especially as I get down to the last 10 pounds. You are close in weight to me, so I know it will work at this stage. Are you planning on continuing this diet after you have reached your goal?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Mommy View Post
Thank you delynmonet for responding to me. This might be something that I will try out. Especially as I get down to the last 10 pounds. You are close in weight to me, so I know it will work at this stage. Are you planning on continuing this diet after you have reached your goal?

Oh, DEFINITELY, YESSS!!! I go through 2 lbs fluctuations on an average. I weigh myself daily and keep a journal to keep me focused.

I spoke with my doctor about peri-menopause (I am at that stage) and he explained to me that sometimes there will be a "jump" in the weight because of some hormonal distribution which has to do with water/salt retention, hormones, etc. and that I must keep on working out and monitoring my diet. Atkins is a Way of Eating for me in the low carb arena. The shakes help me to keep my calories down, and makes me more conscious of what I am taking in for dinner. It's great to see the scale go down. For instance, three weeks ago, my body blew up with the hormonal exchange to 151 lbs (the swelling, bloating, etc.) although I am still doing the shakes (so I KNEW that it was not weight gain) - but my body fat remained low - so I did not panic, called my doctor, and with his explanation as well as my continued determination to have the two shakes a day, I am back down to 143-145 and the water/salt retention, etc. went away. Now, if I got depressed, I would have given up, started eating the wrong things and put on actual "weight." So, the shakes are a lifestyle for me and if I really do put some weight on from increase of my low carbs, I know for a fact how the shakes can help me get it off!

Therefore, the shake routine is more than a weight loss/maintenance feature for me - it will help me stay focused during my perimenopause weight fluctuation stage, too! NO FREAKING OUT FOR ME!!

Last edited by delynmonet; 05-02-2007 at 11:55 AM..
Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That is awesome. I also keep a journal (on here) and weigh daily. My scales will fluctuate as well. The numbers can get you depressed if you let them. Thanks for sharing what your doctor said. That makes a lot of sense. I don't have TOM anymore, but I do have one ovary. It takes care of my hormone levels without needing any meds. I love the shakes. I am going to try this the closer I get. I may start doing it two days a week to start. I will let you know if it works for me.

My Journey to Success
Getting back to the skinny me!
"Long life to you! Good health to you and your household! And good health to all that is yours!" Samuel 25:6
Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Low Carb Mommy,

You look absolutely awesome in the picture and your daughter is beautiful. Much success with your weight loss journey! I will look out for your posts - take care!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robinkay
Stats: 250/190/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: OCT 16, 2010
Are any of you still doing the shake routine?
robinkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Robinkay - good to hear from you. I am not doing the Atkins Shake Routine as I had originally done because I'd reached my first goal - but I do drink 2 shakes per day on an average at least 5 days a week having a low carb dinner in the evenings. On two days, I drink one in the morning and have a well-balanced low carb lunch and dinner.

Still counting down to 140 - my body does not want to go as low as 143-145 lbs in the average range . . . . but my clothing are fitting better every week - last week 5 people told me that I am getting smaller - I don't see it by the numbers on the scale - yet, I am fitting size 8's with no problem.

I have to take my measurements because someone said that I must be toning really well then if the numbers are the same from what she can see. Either way, I am still low carb, low caloric intake and enjoying feeling good with lots of energy.

I still take my vitamins and have added chromium picolinate to my list. Still working out 3-5 days per week on the TM (anywhere from 35-65 mins per session), I utilize my electronic mini-stepper when I can on off days when I am not using the TM - just 15 mins on the stepper causes some serious sweat along with the use of the resistance bands . . . in 15 mins, I've climbed about 560 steps.

No matter what, I still recommend the Atkins Advantage Shakes along with well-balanced meals to curtail weight gain and keep the weight off - it works for me.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cqueen
Stats: 182/169/140
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Do over....feb 25, 2008
This is something I would like to try. My biggest problem is breakfast and lunch. I'm not a breakfast person, so this would be great. Lunch for me is somewhat problematic since all I have is a frig at work and can never decide what to take.

I am going to get me some of these tomorrow and jump in here.......
cqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 AM   #203

Gallery: Silver Spice
WOE: no wheat
Start Date: October 24, 2010
I am trying the shakes because I find that if I skip breakfast I'm ok until dinner and can blow a whole day's efforts. I bought the shakes yesterday and plan on doing one for breakfast and one for snack between lunch and dinner. I am also going to return to my lowered carb/lowered fat/lowered cal food plan.

All things in moderation works best for me.
Silver Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
Start Date: 5/26/06
I bought the shakes yesterday. I am going to try this for the next 10 days. I lost 35 pounds on SB but I have been stuck at 171.5 for several months. I briefly tried ******* and I still plan to incorporate some of the thinking into my diet but I felt terrible while doing it. I am anxious to see if this finally breaks my plateau. I walk 3-5 miles a day and lift weights a couple times a week so activity is not the problem. I have been fluctuating up and down the same 4 pounds so now is the time to make some real progress. My goal is to weigh 155 by the time I shop for fall clothes which is the end of September/beginning of October. I will post my results and would be thrilled if anyone wanted to join me.
7/23: 171.5
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
I bought the shakes yesterday. I am going to try this for the next 10 days. I lost 35 pounds on SB but I have been stuck at 171.5 for several months. I briefly tried ******* and I still plan to incorporate some of the thinking into my diet but I felt terrible while doing it. I am anxious to see if this finally breaks my plateau. I walk 3-5 miles a day and lift weights a couple times a week so activity is not the problem. I have been fluctuating up and down the same 4 pounds so now is the time to make some real progress. My goal is to weigh 155 by the time I shop for fall clothes which is the end of September/beginning of October. I will post my results and would be thrilled if anyone wanted to join me.
7/23: 171.5

Homestretch,

I hope that it will work for you as it did me . . . . I have reached 143 and I still go up and down by 2 lbs, as well as regularly exercising - but I am losing inches dramatically - I have come to the conclusion that once the "inch losing" syndrome reaches it final mark then the weight will continue downward - I am keeping a journal of all of this . . . We'll see. One thing for sure, every week someone is saying to me "You're losing weight . . ." and I am back into size 8's and those are fitting looser! Best of wishes with your journey, and I am looking forward to read your results.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delynmonet View Post
Homestretch,

I hope that it will work for you as it did me . . . . I have reached 143 and I still go up and down by 2 lbs, as well as regularly exercising - but I am losing inches dramatically - I have come to the conclusion that once the "inch losing" syndrome reaches it final mark then the weight will continue downward - I am keeping a journal of all of this . . . We'll see. One thing for sure, every week someone is saying to me "You're losing weight . . ." and I am back into size 8's and those are fitting looser! Best of wishes with your journey, and I am looking forward to read your results.
Thank you for posting your experience and giving me hope again. This seems to work well with my lifestyle because I do not have a great deal of time to plan what I am going to eat (3 kids etc.). I read all of your posts and found them so encouraging! 143 wooooohoooo!!!!

I stepped on the scale this morning and I was at 169! As I said I have been stalled and needed something to get the scale moving since I have basically been doing all the right things. I am doing a happy dance at my laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am ready for the other 14 pounds to drop off. I will keep checking in. On a final note I think the shakes are yummy and they are not so overly sweet like many I have tried.

7/23 -171.5
7/24 - 169
Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
Thank you for posting your experience and giving me hope again. This seems to work well with my lifestyle because I do not have a great deal of time to plan what I am going to eat (3 kids etc.). I read all of your posts and found them so encouraging! 143 wooooohoooo!!!!

I stepped on the scale this morning and I was at 169! As I said I have been stalled and needed something to get the scale moving since I have basically been doing all the right things. I am doing a happy dance at my laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am ready for the other 14 pounds to drop off. I will keep checking in. On a final note I think the shakes are yummy and they are not so overly sweet like many I have tried.

7/23 -171.5
7/24 - 169

Homestretch - WHAATT???? 169 - that's fantastic - I am doing the dance with you!! Congrats and keep it up - sometimes we just have to lower the intake of calories and carbs together for a while and it gets it moving! I will be checking in to watch your progress!

Last edited by delynmonet; 07-24-2007 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for all of the support! I will keep you posted.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giovannip811
Stats: 192/173.0/160
WOE: CAD
Start Date: July 24 2007
I bought the advantage shakes, but dont they have sugar?
giovannip811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #210
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Del, great advice as always.

Silver, cqueen, Noddy (Homestretch, I have to call you that, I grew up with Noddy books), I think you will find this really focuses you and helps to move that scale after a stall.

Gio, they are fine. Promise. Just make sure that the rest of your food is clean.

Del Rocks OK!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote