Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
I think i am going to try this also...........I think I am going to do mine in reverse though.........I am going to have a nice breakfast and then have a shake for lunch and one for dinner. I have a part time job in the evenings and a shake would be great instead of having to worry about getting something that I can eat.!
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
A short story to relate . . . .

My DH is NOT into low carbing - at all - but supports me in everything that I do. Well, he noticed that my weight is falling off. Doctor's orders is that he must to lose weight because he has high blood pressure and cholesterol issues (and he is 9 years younger than me). He has a family history of this - from his mom and dad.

Although I am concerned, nagging is out - but gentle, loving coaxing is in . . . well, DH decided to try drinking two protein drinks of his own (NOT ATKINS) that he purchased in powder form to see what would happen. I assured him that lowering carbs and lowering calories should help in his weight loss journey.

Needless to say, he has lost six pounds within the past two weeks - although he was under the weather - he still was drinking beer (not LIGHT) and having his cookies - to which I was shaking my head - but something happened with his body. I believe that he would had lost more if he'd stayed away from the beer and cookies (and now that I think about it, he had cake too). . . .

This morning, DH filled a water bottle with a protein drink to take to work and said that he's going to have another later on today - then a sensible dinner tonight. So, the saga continues from the homefront . . . .

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8

Last edited by delynmonet; 02-02-2007 at 08:51 AM..
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #153
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
This morning..I had my coffee..then added a bunch of coffee to the vanilla protein shake and microwaved it. It was good...I also put in some Benefiber for more fiber.

I think I will have a hot chocolate shake for lunch..and a normal dinner..cuz that works better for me and dh..

Well, I started this at 140 and today I was 139..which is my iron curtain of weight.. If I get down to 138, I'll have broken the curse..so to speak..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slim@40
Stats: 165/150/130
WOE: low carb
Delynmonet-That's awesome your husband is following your lead. My DH eats 3 meals a day, snacks all night yet has never had a weight problem He can't relate to what I'm going through so I'm thankful for LCF!

CarolynF-Is the Benefiber truly tasteless like the commercial says? How many carbs in it?

Topazz-I've had the SlimFast low carb shakes and really like the chocolate but my grocery store doesn't carry them anymore. I think the Atkins shakes have less calories but same amount of carbs (6), protein, vitamins, fiber, etc.

About a year ago I tried the "SlimFast Plan" with the Optima shakes. Needless to say, I failed because I was STARVING an hour after drinking one. Too much sugar in them!!!

Anyone have any Super Bowl plans? We're going to a party and I'm planning on having a shake right before we go so I'll be less tempted by all the carby appetizers.

Have a good weekend!!
slim@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #155

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am married to a natural skinny too, though he does eat very sensibly...cos that is all I feed him. He never finds any bad snacks in this house either,tragic! lol
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #156

Hi

Well, I am adjusting my shake plan..After having one for breakie and one for lunch, I thought I would die of starvation at 3:30..so then I started eating a real food snack..and had dinner at 6:30..

I think I'm going to just have a Shake as a snack at 3:30/4:00..because this is my hungriest part of the day..Then I will eat a small dinner..I think if I can
control my SNACK to the shake, that will be a big help..There are 180 calories in those shakes..and really to have 1,200 calories, which should be the minimum amount of calories, you would have to have 6 shakes a day.

I really use the cheap WalMart version of Benefiber and I'm not sure how many carbs are in it..but it's not very many at all..and you can't even taste it.

Just looked it up: It's one carb per Tabs. and 3 carbs of fiber..

Last edited by CarolynF; 02-03-2007 at 03:16 PM..
Old 02-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Natashaann
Stats: 195/139/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 18th, 2004
I used the 2 shake a day program last week while DH was working late. I substituted breakfast and dinner. It did help me break my stall. I did miss setting down to dinner. I am not sure if I could do one for breakfast and one for lunch. It would be a long time without real food and might cause me to go overboard at dinner. I might try it next time I'm in a stall though.
Natashaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #158

Natashaann..I bet you are right..two shakes in a row was probably too little food ..and no wonder I was starving at 3:00..I agree that a breakie one and have a nice lunch and a dinner one might be the way to go on the 2-shake plan.

I did have a shake at 4:00..then dinner at 6:00 and it was fine!! Will try the
midafternoon shake this week and see how that goes.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mari_Rea
Stats: 151/143.5/130, 13.5lbs to go!
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January, 15 2007
Has anyone tried the EAS Advant Edge shakes?

I went out to buy the shakes last night but there were 3 different kinds. The Atkins, the Slim Fast, and EAS Advant Edge. I bought some Atkins and some EAS Advant, to try out the tastes. But i want to know if the EAS will also work. They claim to have 1g of carbs and 100 calories. Anyone?

Also, any recommedations on the atkins flavors?
Mari_Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_Rea View Post
I went out to buy the shakes last night but there were 3 different kinds. The Atkins, the Slim Fast, and EAS Advant Edge. I bought some Atkins and some EAS Advant, to try out the tastes. But i want to know if the EAS will also work. They claim to have 1g of carbs and 100 calories. Anyone?

Also, any recommedations on the atkins flavors?

I know nothing about EAS but as far as Atkins goes, I the chocolate flavor!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fauntlen
Start Date: August 2006/June 2011
I prefer the taste and texture of Atkins over EAS. The caramel, chocolate, and strawberry is this order are my favorites.
fauntlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #162
Junior LCF Member

Well I wasnt sure to try the caramel, I didnt think I'd like it, but since its your favorite then I might give it a try. Because at Sam's they only have that flavor and the 12pk is $13!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fauntlen
Start Date: August 2006/June 2011
Quote:
Well I wasnt sure to try the caramel, I didnt think I'd like it, but since its your favorite then I might give it a try. Because at Sam's they only have that flavor and the 12pk is $13!
I like it very much, but then I'm easy to please! I need to check out Sam's because that's a good price. I've been paying $5.99 for 4 cans at Shoppers Food Warehouse and now they have increased to $6.19 for 4 cans.

Last edited by fauntlen; 02-05-2007 at 02:03 PM..
fauntlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: furkid
Stats: 233.5/191/180
Start Date: June, 2003
Just this past weekend DH and I decided to substitute lunch with a shake. Today is Day One! I thought I would do a search and found this thread. Very excited.

I've done Atkins on and off for 3 years and I am up 10 pounds - which is lucky - and probably only happened because I never stopped exercising.

The reason I even thought about the shakes is one of the woman I worked with was doing Atkins when I was and the weight was falling off of her - and she had a shake for lunch everyday - and guess what - she's still a stringbean! and she still has a shake for lunch!

Her plan was (and is) breakfast is bacon and eggs, shake for lunch, and then protein, veg and sometimes a salad for dinner.

I wonder if I had the resolve to have 2 shakes a day???

Thank you for being here-you're just what I needed!

Toby
Old 02-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauntlen View Post
I like it very much, but then I'm easy to please! I need to check out Sam's because that's a good price. I've been paying $5.99 for 4 cans at Shoppers Food Warehouse and now they have increased to $6.19 for 4 cans.
Well walmart has them 4 for $5.96. But if you want to save a few bucks try Sams Club. The only thing is that here at the local Sams they only carry Caramel flavor.

The EAS is cheaper, 4 for $4.97 at Walmart. But I tried Atkins Strawberry for b-fast and EAS chocolate for lunch and I like the Atkins better.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furkid View Post
Just this past weekend DH and I decided to substitute lunch with a shake. Today is Day One! I thought I would do a search and found this thread. Very excited.

I've done Atkins on and off for 3 years and I am up 10 pounds - which is lucky - and probably only happened because I never stopped exercising.

The reason I even thought about the shakes is one of the woman I worked with was doing Atkins when I was and the weight was falling off of her - and she had a shake for lunch everyday - and guess what - she's still a stringbean! and she still has a shake for lunch!

Her plan was (and is) breakfast is bacon and eggs, shake for lunch, and then protein, veg and sometimes a salad for dinner.

I wonder if I had the resolve to have 2 shakes a day???

Thank you for being here-you're just what I needed!

Toby

furkid - thanks for stopping by and commenting on the thread . . . and you are so welcome! My DH told me again this morning that my head was still shrinking and then he said to me "Hello, Skinny." I told him that I wasn't skinny but he said "you have lost a lot of weight." I felt good because I know the routine worked for me. Best wishes with your weight loss journey.

Last edited by delynmonet; 02-05-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #167

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
You all answered my question before I could ask it, that being do most of you us the RTD (Ready To Drink) shakes. That answered, I wondered how it affected your budget. I've rarely seen the 4 packs around here for less than $6-7. That comes to 1.75 plus tax. And while that is not much to pay for a lunch meal, it still seems a lot to pay for a shake.

I guess if I adjust my thinking . . . a side salad and a value pack chicken nuggets at Wendys' costs $2.12 . . . O.K. I've been cured of my disillusion

I always thought of those shakes as overpriced, but you can't buy a descent lunch for much more. I bought two entire cases of Atkins Shakes Chocolate Royale (do they still make that flavor? It's the only one I can tolerate!) for really cheap online when Atkins Declared bankrupcy and claimed to get rid of their (I felt) best products: The Cereals, the Shake Mix and The RTD mixes. They ended up keeping all the candybar crap and ditching the good stuff. But I digress. Maybe I'll get that second case down and start in on it. I like them well enough but I always felt like they cost too much. Now I SEE THE LIGHT

They definately have more good nutrition than a iceburg salad and transmogrifried nuggets
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #168

Gallery: Topazz
I got off plan...... I need to go shopping for more shakes. It was working so well. Then Superbowl Sunday came.

I have to start over.
Topazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #169
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
Start Date: 12/29/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

I bought two entire cases of Atkins Shakes Chocolate Royale (do they still make that flavor? It's the only one I can tolerate!)

Yes, it's still made.

After the bankruptcy was over, they focused on the products that made them money...
the RTD shakes, the Advantage bars, the Morning Start bars, and the Endulge bars.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #170
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone.
Well its day 2 of replacing 2 meals with a shake. Its actually not bad at all, I'm liking it. I decided not to weigh myself yet, till Friday, hopefully I'll have a nice surprise!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robinkay
Stats: 250/190/150
Start Date: OCT 16, 2010
I've been off plan for the past couple of weeks and am back up to 185 lbs as of this morning. I will NOT change my weight on my profile. I'm going to leave it as is and work my way back down.

Starting back on Atkins Shakes today and I"ll report back tomorrow.
robinkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:05 AM   #172

I have found a chocolate shake made by our big drug store here, Boots.

A 330 ml serving is 168 Cal, 0.5 net carbs, 9.2 g fat, only 1.3 saturate, 2.6 g fibre and 0.2g sodium. It is delicious! They have a strawberry one too, I have bought one to try but I am not so keen on the fruit flavoured ones generally.

Happy today as the scales showed an amazing 3.25 drop this morning bringing me to below my goal weight....but I am keeping going for a while yet as I like the feeling!

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: furkid
Stats: 233.5/191/180
Start Date: June, 2003
Question - has or did anyone drink (alcohol) while doing the shakes? Was wondering if it would blow it or just maybe a "little" stall? Any thoughts?

I put my scale in my car so I wouldn't weigh myself everyday - which seemed to somehow determine whether I would be "good" or I would be "bad." Also this particular reward system seemed to work - whether I went up or was losing So I was sabotaging myself either way. Hopefully, I can keep the scale in the car until Friday and then weigh on Saturday morning...we'll see...
furkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Feeling Real Good . . .

Reporting in . . . .

I am still maintaining at 146 . . . soooooo happy about that. This seems to be a normal pattern for me - I maintain for about two weeks or so since I am closer to goal, and having less to lose. I expect to be down to 145 sometime within the next week or so. I reviewed my journal - the last time that I was at 146 was in November 2003!

Well, it's working and I am enjoying the progress.

Last edited by delynmonet; 02-07-2007 at 09:03 AM..
Old 02-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robinkay
Stats: 250/190/150
Start Date: OCT 16, 2010
I"m down 1 lb this morning. Starting back on the Shakes helped me to feel back in control again.

Good job everybody!

Furkid, I don't drink alcohol. Maybe someone else could answer your question. You might want to post on the Main Lobby.
robinkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Yay! 143.5 this morning!!! I havent seen the scale lower than 145 in a long while!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

That's good news!!!

Quote:
Yay! 143.5 this morning!!! I havent seen the scale lower than 145 in a long while!

WOOHOO . . .! Well, you did say in your post the other day that you were hoping for a nice surprise and you certainly got it!!! Congrats on your weight loss . . . Best wishes on your journey! I am doing the 143.5 dance for you!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

LeanLioness . . . .Reaching Your Goal . . .

LeanLioness,

Congrats on reaching one of your weight loss goals yesterday . . . . I was reviewing the board and saw that . . . . Good for you!!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

FEELIN' ALIVE!!

Yes, FEELING ALIVE at 145!!!!! Last night, I tipped the scale at 145 with a my body fat at 36% (from starting point 41%) . . . I feel great . . . .

Just a note, I have been allowing myself a 2 lb range from the goal that I hit, as the numbers go up and down due to various reasons. Yesterday, in the morning (that's when I choose weigh myself), I was at 147.8 - which is to be expected -as my last weight was 146. So, 146-148 is the fluctuation range that I KNOW I will experience, no matter what I do, until I lose another pound. Yet, my rings were flipping and flopping around on my fingers in the afternoon, and truthfully, has been doing that for the past week or so. My pants are baggier . . .

For some reason, I decided to weigh myself in the evening as I felt more lighter than usual, rings flopping and all - even after having the two shakes, coffee and water for the whole day - I still registered as 145.8, a 2 lb difference. To make sure that I wasn't seeing things, I weighed myself 4 times and the number was the same.

By keeping a journal for months on end, I always noticed a 2 lb up/down range - when I hit 160, I was between 160-162; every weight I dropped down to was the same. Keeping a journal helped me to appreciate that water retention, hormones shifting (I am at that age), undigested food being in the stomach in the morning (I am great for that as I have NO CHOICE but to eat late many evenings), etc. will cause weight fluctuation - and I truly understand my body's reaction to weight loss. So, therefore, I don't FREAK OUT thinking that I have gained a few pounds and get depressed.

This morning, the scale read 147.2 . . . figure that . . . but that's right, because last night I ate after 9:00 pm (after weighing myself), then went right to bed (a no-no), so I did not digest my food properly AND 147 is within my 2 lb range now (145-147). (If I see 148 or 149, I will conclude that I put on weight, as it's above my 2 lb fluctuation, and must review my eating habits - so that's a red flag for me.)

All this is said so that the newbies, in particular, will understand that all that L@@Ks like weight gain, isn't --- and no need to get depressed or afraid of the scale --- if you are monitoring your caloric and carb intake on your plan. That's just the way it is.

Much SUCCESS to everyone on the weight loss journey! Still counting down to 140!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #180

Great post Delynmonet.

You are such a sensible person and give great advice. I appreciate it even though I am, like you, virtually at goal.

Thanks.