Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slim@40
Stats: 165/150/130
WOE: low carb
Wow ...This thread is not in the Main Lobby for a reason!! Nobody is advocating replacement shakes for Atkins induction. As far as calories go...if somedays I'm at 1000 then so.be.it. I'm not starving, the shakes are very well balanced and when I get closer to goal I will incorporate a meal in place of a shake. Right now this is what's working for me and I'm excited about it. I'm a nurse and I barely have time to sit down and eat a meal at work so the shakes are a perfect alternative.

I agree, this is a place to offer support and alternatives if what you're doing isn't working.
slim@40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
Slim@40 --- I LOVE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim@40 View Post
Wow ...This thread is not in the Main Lobby for a reason!! Nobody is advocating replacement shakes for Atkins induction. As far as calories go...if somedays I'm at 1000 then so.be.it. I'm not starving, the shakes are very well balanced and when I get closer to goal I will incorporate a meal in place of a shake. Right now this is what's working for me and I'm excited about it. I'm a nurse and I barely have time to sit down and eat a meal at work so the shakes are a perfect alternative.

I agree, this is a place to offer support and alternatives if what you're doing isn't working.
WOOHOOOO!!! Talk about MAJOR SUPPORT here at this thread! Thank you!!

You all are making me BLUSH . . . :blush:

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-28-2007 at 05:26 PM..
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #123
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: GetFitMom
Stats: goal is to lose 3 sizes
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Spring 2001
Hey Ladies, you are doing great.

Just wanted to pop in to give you encouragement and make sure once you get close to goal to also start transitionining to at least 2 meals per day but I don't see the big deal if while at maintenance having one meal per day replaced with a shake.

KUTGW!
GetFitMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetFitMom View Post
Hey Ladies, you are doing great.

Just wanted to pop in to give you encouragement and make sure once you get close to goal to also start transitionining to at least 2 meals per day but I don't see the big deal if while at maintenance having one meal per day replaced with a shake.

KUTGW!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Yes, the transitioning is very important - for instance, although I am doing two shakes per day (7 days a week) - on the weekend, I am eating a meat, egg & cheese omelet in between which also has been helping, as you may have read in the posts.

We cannot afford to put the body into starvation mode but lowering the carbs and the calories has helped my body to move the stubborn weight - that dreaded last 10 lbs. By eating the omelet within the past couple of weeks, I experienced a 2 lb swoosh (149 to 147) . . . as the body is melting down slowly and safely.

One of my co-workers said to me "My goodness, you have lost more weight," so I know that the scale may still read 147 but the inches are moving - even DH told me over the weekend that my "head" was shrinking! I know he meant that my face is getting smaller, no double chin, etc.

I AM JUST LOVING THE WEIGHT LOSS. Once I reach 140, I will jump for joy! Then, on to careful maintenance . . . . I don't want to see 150 or 160 again!

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-30-2007 at 08:39 AM..
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Just found your thread. I used to love drinking the shakes; got stung a few times on the boards. I did something similar to what you are doing with yogurt. I called it the Modified Yogurt Fast and would eat it about three times a day and then a lowcarb dinner. I lost my last 20 pounds eating that way. I still think about doing it again. Do you ever semi-freeze the shakes? I like them that way.

Wish Target still had them on sale.

You are all doing great.

Granny Ann
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONAH'S GRANNY View Post
Just found your thread. I used to love drinking the shakes; got stung a few times on the boards. I did something similar to what you are doing with yogurt. I called it the Modified Yogurt Fast and would eat it about three times a day and then a lowcarb dinner. I lost my last 20 pounds eating that way. I still think about doing it again. Do you ever semi-freeze the shakes? I like them that way.

Wish Target still had them on sale.

You are all doing great.

Granny Ann

JONAH'S GRANNY! I do not semi-freeze the shakes, never thought about it - great idea!

Everyone will not agree with others' methods of losing weight - hey, society beat down Dr. Atkins, but his way of eating works! I am going to continue my program until I reach goal - I feel great and am soooooo happy to be losing the last 10 lbs. I am not starving myself and eating a healthy and well-rounded low carb meal. When I reach goal, I will go into maintenance . . . keep watching for updates.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #127
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Delynmonet,

You know me as a lazy treadmill buddy. I had maintained for 4 years and slipped up by 13lbs in year five. I had decided to follow 'healthy eating' guidelines as promoted by most nutritionists. The 13lbs were my reward.

I am now below my previous low and heading for a new low thanks to the inspiration and support of you and people like you.

I am currently doing K/E but, like you, I am confident that I understand LC eating well enough to continue once I choose to.

I look to these threads for encouragement. You are wonderful.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Hi Delynmonet,

You know me as a lazy treadmill buddy. I had maintained for 4 years and slipped up by 13lbs in year five. I had decided to follow 'healthy eating' guidelines as promoted by most nutritionists. The 13lbs were my reward.

I am now below my previous low and heading for a new low thanks to the inspiration and support of you and people like you.

I am currently doing K/E but, like you, I am confident that I understand LC eating well enough to continue once I choose to.

I look to these threads for encouragement. You are wonderful.

Kissa!!! Great to hear your comment -- it's encouraging! And, NO, you're not a LAZY treadmill buddy - you're a faithful treadmill buddy! As long as you're MOVIN', you're doing something - YOU GO KISSA!!!

Yes, we "seasoned" Atkin-ites know the deal -- thanks to Atkins, we learned the stages and how to eat LC. Maintaining is the REAL journey - that's where I slipped up - not monitoring my weight accordingly (and when I found out my mom had Alzheimer's Disease, plus the loss of my job one month prior to that - binge/depression eating).

On certain days, when I know I will have an extremely long day, I switch up - I will have the Shake for breakfast, a hearty salad for lunch consisting of protein, veggies, etc., and then a Shake for dinner. I don't feel overstuffed, and I feel light. Gotta be CREATIVE, you know!

Another problem that I had, which I think attributed to the gain, slow movement or stall of the weight, was "eating after 8 PM". So, the shake routine actually made something happen for me - and, of course, regular exercise.

Thanks for stopping by and will see you at the Exercise Board TM Buddy!!

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-31-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Hi Delynmonet! I'm down another 2 lbs!!! I love how satisfied I feel after drinking the shake. The important thing for me is eating a healthy meal so I don't need a snack at night. I've been tweaking my supper and I have come up with a perfect low carb meal: salad w/romaine lettuce and spinach, vegies, hardboiled egg, bacon, 1/4c. cheddar cheese and Hidden Valley lt ranch drsg, 1 T. sunflower seeds. 4 oz protein (tonight was steak!) and a side of steamed broccoli w/butter. I am full!! Sounds like you're doing something similar! We can do this
What type of exercise do you do? I'm thinking of starting something as I have so much more energy now.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

That's Just Wonderful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim@40 View Post
Hi Delynmonet! I'm down another 2 lbs!!! I love how satisfied I feel after drinking the shake. The important thing for me is eating a healthy meal so I don't need a snack at night. I've been tweaking my supper and I have come up with a perfect low carb meal: salad w/romaine lettuce and spinach, vegies, hardboiled egg, bacon, 1/4c. cheddar cheese and Hidden Valley lt ranch drsg, 1 T. sunflower seeds. 4 oz protein (tonight was steak!) and a side of steamed broccoli w/butter. I am full!! Sounds like you're doing something similar! We can do this
What type of exercise do you do? I'm thinking of starting something as I have so much more energy now.

Congrats on another 2 lb loss!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!

The menu sounds delicious and glad that you are full with a good low carb meal! As far as exercise is concerned, I walk the treadmill 4-5 days a week . . . this past week, I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds 3-mile walk dvd as DH has been sleeping in the basement due to a virus that he did not want to pass onto me - I appreciate that but I miss him, and I miss going downstairs to walk on the treadmill.

We would welcome you to stop by the Exercise Board and view our thread "Anybody Want to be a Treadmill Buddy?" where there are lots of posts of the TM Buddies that have accumulated and joined the workout system. From biking, elliptical, rollerskating through treadmill - anything that gets the body movin'!!

I will keep you posted on my progress - still maintaining 147 . . . but still counting to 140!!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #131

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi..

I think it's good to shake things up with shakes!!! And congrats to all the losers..

Just some shake ideas: I made 4 custards out the vanilla shakes this morning.

One can of LC vanilla shake (or chocolate might be interesting)
4 eggs

Blend and pour into 4-5 custard cups placed in a 9 x 13 pan with about an inch of water. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes until they are firm..

This is a great snack..

Plus..a great way to thicken up your shake is with a package of unflavored gelatin..whirled in the blender with the shake..and it adds 5 grams of protein..

I got some LC Slimfast Shakes at Wallie the other day..not bad...
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robinkay
Stats: 250/190/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: OCT 16, 2010
I like the custard idea. Do you add any nutmeg?
robinkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fauntlen
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2006/June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi..

I think it's good to shake things up with shakes!!! And congrats to all the losers..

Just some shake ideas: I made 4 custards out the vanilla shakes this morning.

One can of LC vanilla shake (or chocolate might be interesting)
4 eggs

Blend and pour into 4-5 custard cups placed in a 9 x 13 pan with about an inch of water. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes until they are firm..

This is a great snack..

Plus..a great way to thicken up your shake is with a package of unflavored gelatin..whirled in the blender with the shake..and it adds 5 grams of protein..

I got some LC Slimfast Shakes at Wallie the other day..not bad...
Sounds yummy. How many carbs per custard cup?
fauntlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #134

Gallery: Topazz
I just saw this thread again and have not had time to read everyone's posts. Thought I'd jump in here and see how it goes!

I restarted LC atkins'ish, I guess I should say. My first day back on track was on the 21st of Jan, and have used the shakes and bars as meal replacements or snacks. I'm VERY happy with my progress so far and I'm loving the food.

*Except, I ate and Endulge coconut bar yesterday....... and didn't realize they have malitol in them. Not much, and it just gave me a one time issue with the potty and some tummy growls, so I shouldn't complain. But I also think it made me have a few cravings since I was hungry all day and night after eating it.*

I LOVE the Atkins vanilla creme shake flavor and consistancy, but I have not tried the chocolate or strawberry yet. I find I will drink one of those for breakfast instead of skipping breakfast and I'm feeling alot better and having a better consisitant weight loss.
Topazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #135

Yes, you could sprinkle nutmeg on this, if you wanted..

The carb count would depend on your Shake..and add about a carb for
the egg..so probably about 2 carbs per 4 custards...
Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn F and Topazz!!

CarolynF - thanks for the custard idea - I will try it!

Topazz - thanks for your added comments and support on the Shakes routines - I haven't tried Strawberry because they don't seem to have it in the GNC here - only the vanilla and chocolate. I love the chocolate!

I, too, am very happy about the weight loss . . . . I WILL LOSE THE LAST OF THE STUBBORN 10 LBS!!! I have been on the plan for 90 days as of January 31st, I had started November 1, 2006. I will continue as I count down to 140!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE, DANCE . . . .

I am in the MIX at 146!!! This morning I stepped on the scale and I lost another pound!!!

WOOOOOHOOOOO, that's 15 lbs lost since November 1. I feel great and will continue the Atkins Advantage Shake Routine until I reach goal which is 140!

I want to thank everyone for their encouraging words, motivation to push on and powerful support.

Again, each one must follow their own road in their weight loss journey but I can truly say that here at LCF's I have received the best backup in my quest! Thanks so much!!! to you all.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tibby
Stats: 185\174\140
WOE: loosely Atkins
Start Date: March 2001 (lonngg pause in the middle)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Woo-Hoo Dely!!![/COLOR] Doin' the happy dance for you! Congrats!
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #139

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

Im going to try the partial freeze idea, and add a little cinnamon next time!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #140

I thought I'd inject another thought here............ I have not had constipation issues that others suffer with during induction. Another great reason to keep using the shakes and bars because they give me the MUCH needed fiber and fat ..... another PLUS in my book
Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #141

I got some Atkins vanilla and I think it tastes great. I used it to lighten my coffee..

Delynmonet: How much weight have you lost since starting this plan???
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #142

Woooh. Great news on the weight. D.

Great shake ideas too. When I stop K/E I might try some of these. Custards, yum yum.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Delynmonet! You're so close to goal! I was up a pound today but I'm not discouraged. I think I had too much at supper last night. Don't you just LOVE the simplicity of this plan?? I mean, I used to spend hours preparing meals to take to work. Now, grab 2 shakes and I'm out the door. Of course the BEST part is that it is working!!!

So good to see some new faces and new ideas! And the fiber in the shakes really helps the system

Last edited by slim@40; 02-01-2007 at 05:28 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I got some Atkins vanilla and I think it tastes great. I used it to lighten my coffee..

Delynmonet: How much weight have you lost since starting this plan???

CarolynF,

I started the routine on November 1, 2006 at 161 lbs - as of today, February 1, 2007 - I am at 146 lbs. - total of 15 lbs. lost.

Slim@40 - I keep a faithful journal of my loss - looking back over every month since November - here's what would happen - my weight, now matter what weight I reached, would fluctuate daily up and down - on the average to 2 lbs up and to 2 lbs back down to my new weight - or simply stay at the new weight for a few days. The reason was just as you said - the body would hold on to food from the prior day, or even water retention, hormone change, something! No use in getting depressed or upset about it, I kept writing in my journal and saw the similiarities day to day and month after month. It helped me to understand my weight loss journey more by keeping a serious record of it . . . I can truly say, that's just the "weigh" it is!

Last edited by delynmonet; 02-01-2007 at 07:06 PM..
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #145

You are doing very well..because those last few pounds are really hard to lose..

I did have a shake for breakfast and a small lunch and dinner.. Will play around the shake amounts, etc...
Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #146
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mari_Rea
Stats: 151/143.5/130, 13.5lbs to go!
Start Date: January, 15 2007
Hi everyone.

I was reading all these posts, congrats on the weight loss! I think I might try this. As it is with my new schedule in school, I only have time for one meal between school and work, so shakes will fit perfect in my schedule.

I'll post my progress once I start too!
Mari_Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #147

How do the SlimFast low carb shakes compare to the Aktins shakes as far as the nutritional information, taste and consistancy?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazz View Post
How do the SlimFast low carb shakes compare to the Aktins shakes as far as the nutritional information, taste and consistancy?
I like the taste of the Atkins shakes much better than Slim Fast. But some people like Slim Fast better than Atkins. I find the consistancy about the same. Not sure about the nutritional info.

I tend to trust the nutritional info on Atkins products more than Slim Fast. I'm not sure why....maybe because I liked Dr. Atkins so much.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:21 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Woooh. Great news on the weight. D.

Great shake ideas too. When I stop K/E I might try some of these. Custards, yum yum.
Kissa, I just wanted to let you know that I do K/E as well. Kimmer states it's OK to use a low carb protein shake (4 grams or less) as a meal replacement.
I do this when I get tired of meat and need a break.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:10 AM   #150

Wow, thanks for that Robin. I didn't know that and sometimes it would be lovely to have something a bit different.

Thank goodness, we can still get Atkins shakes over here and there are 2 other brands in the UK that are very low carbs, 1 and 1.5.

LCF I love you, everyone is just so helpful.