Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #1201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GennieF
Stats: restarting the restart
WOE: Atkins variation
Start Date: restarting yet again
You have 4 as well? Aww, how old? 7, girl, soon to be 5 next week, boy....then 2.5 year old boy (he's EVIL but so cute!) and a 14 month old girl. My highest weight was 220, no babies...and then did low carb on and off dropping weight, lowest was like 129 on Christmas almost 4 years ago after #2. Every time I lose weight htough, I get pregnant! No more now though lol

I am, or at least WAS 5 ft 6, dunno if that is still the case cause I've heard you supposedly shrink after having kids but want to say I'm that regardless lol. I really think I was holding onto a good portion of water weight initially, the scale had pretty much slowed to a crawl the last month or so until I started getting strict. First I was doing some yogurt, I love doing that as well, I may alternate with that. I don't know if it helps, but I'm a pear shape and finally seem to be getting rid of some of the excess leg baggage. I have loose skin though on my thighs...hoping that will tighten some with dry brushing.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #1202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl
I have twin girls who are 9, and 2 boys that will be 8 and 6 in the next month! Very close together, but we are enjoying it immensely!! I KWIM about them being evil but cute, if my little guy wasn't so adorable, I would've considered selling him to the gypsies LOL!!

I have a brush for dry brushing, but never seem to use it. Have you seen any results??

I am pretty lucky that I don't have too much loose skin, but ugh, the cellulite drives me crazy! I have a pretty muscular build that fills out my skin OK, not sure if that is good or bad though LOL!
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #1203
Senior LCF Member

Lovemygrands, glad you found this! I never would have thought to look in "Maintenance" either, wonder if this thread can be moved? I'm definitely not maintaining! I saw a thread on the 6 week cure and that was one fo the things that helped push me to do this, though I don't have the book. Would like to buy it though.
GennieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #1204
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: scrappychik
Stats: Goal 145
WOE: Paleo & exercise!
Start Date: Re-start 09/01/14
I have 4 kids as well...2 boys & 2 girls ages 20,18,15 and 4(my avatar) I celebrated my 40th in June. DH and I met on a blind date in high school and have been married for 21 years
scrappychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #1205
Senior LCF Member

Do you ever get questions asking if you're crazy because you're close in age? I do, often! I always tell people tha the dogs listen better than the kids though

If I was braver, I'd post some pics of my stomach and areas. Maybe once I lose a bit more. I'd have to say, yes I've noticed and I think it does help with cellulite. I don't have much either, but I think it MAY have helped. I have terrible stretch marks on my tummy, they are getting lighter. I've dry brushed on and off for years while low carbing and have been doing it twice a day (geez, more like GRINDING my skin) and I figure, if nothing else it can't hurt. It makes sense that the stimulation would help with tightening though, and obviously friction on stretch marks would cause it to rejuvenate faster since the uppermost skin is being removed.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #1206
Big Yapper!!!!

I've never tried the dry brushing, but read through the thread last year. Maybe I should try it...couldn't hurt right?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #1207
Senior LCF Member

WOW Scrappy!! That's awesome! Congrats!! Your little girl is sooo cute too, how did the older ones adjust to a new baby sister? It's funny, with Rosella, #4, all of the kids "ordered" a girl. We never asked the sex of our babies, no surprise that way....but when she was born, my husband was so confused with everything going on when they said "IT'S A GIRL!" he said he hoped kids won't be dissapointed, I just looked at him funny and said nooo, that's what they wanted! They've all been very good to each other for the most part, except when they fight.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #1208
Senior LCF Member

It definitely wouldn't hurt Scrappy...get the cheap brush from Walmart, it's like a big paddle brush, they seem to break after a while but they are only like $3 or so. Natural bristle brush. Some people have a specific method to help cleanse the body of impurities, i brush upwards but focus moreso on trying to slough off skin, it will never be perfect but hopefully I can get some of it off. I think it helps to remove water weight as well. I try to do in the morning before exercises and then right before bed.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #1209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joannew
Stats: 149/145.8/135 (5'5', 61 yy)
WOE: 800 cals.
Start Date: 12/11/14
Room for 1 more?

I finally read through this whole thread.....lots of inspiration and information in it!

I'm starting this today.....2 shakes and a lc meal.
Joannew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #1210
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Joanne!!

I know we can do this =)

I have been adding in 1-2 LC snacks/day though... maybe I shouldn't be doing that??!!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #1211
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome bflogurl!

As far as lc snacks, it looks like some of the ladies incorporated them into their daily menu....as long as you are losing....which it looks like you are....keep doing what you are doing! (IMHO)

I am going to give up the alcohol too until I get to goal....it hinders my weight loss too much!

P.S. I was just informed that there are blueberry donuts and pull apart bread in the breakroom....I will stay away from there....just filled my water jug....and will sip on that....and dream of the hamburger-broccoli alfredo casserole that I plan on making for supper tonight!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #1212
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GennieF View Post
It definitely wouldn't hurt Scrappy...get the cheap brush from Walmart, it's like a big paddle brush, they seem to break after a while but they are only like $3 or so. Natural bristle brush. Some people have a specific method to help cleanse the body of impurities, i brush upwards but focus moreso on trying to slough off skin, it will never be perfect but hopefully I can get some of it off. I think it helps to remove water weight as well. I try to do in the morning before exercises and then right before bed.
Thanks for the info...I'll get the brush next trip to Walmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannew View Post
I finally read through this whole thread.....lots of inspiration and information in it!

I'm starting this today.....2 shakes and a lc meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflogurl View Post
Welcome Joanne!!

I know we can do this =)

I have been adding in 1-2 LC snacks/day though... maybe I shouldn't be doing that??!!
I do a couple snacks too but call them "meals" I do 5 small meals throughout the day and nothing after 8 pm. The snacks are ALWAYS protein of some kind
Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #1213
Senior LCF Member

Hi Joannew! Brave on giving up alcohol until you get to goal, I've cut it out for the most part but still going to have an occasional drink of whiskey + coke zero if I feel like it.

I just tried the Lean Dessert protein in Cinnamon Roll flavor and for me, leaves much to be desired. I've made cinnamon roll shakes that taste sweeter and better, as it was I added more cinnamon to it and more sweetener. Maybe it's because I blend with ice and it's not meant to do that? Maybe I'll do less water next time, the scoop is smaller than the other brands but it is higher carb so I'll probably use it less.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #1214
Senior LCF Member

Oh, wanted to say I really don't do "snacks" persay. I may have a bite of lunchmeat or, recently, a shot of whipped cream, but have been trying to be rather strict. I figure lean protein is doable though, but everyone is different
Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #1215
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning Fellow Shakers!

My first day on this plan went well. We went out to a buffet for supper, and I had steak, 1 pc chicken, 1/2 pc meatloaf and salad. The meatloaf probably had fillers.

I did have a string cheese for a snack yesterday due to hunger, but other than that, I survived!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #1216
Major LCF Poster!

WTG Joanne!

Stayed OP yesterday as well.... did have some cheese as a snack, but otherwise did OK. Was down another .4lbs today, but hoping for a whoosh for tomorrows weigh in!

Gennie: What is your recipe for a LC shake... still trying to learn how to make them myself ;o)
Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #1217
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannew View Post
Good Morning Fellow Shakers!

My first day on this plan went well. We went out to a buffet for supper, and I had steak, 1 pc chicken, 1/2 pc meatloaf and salad. The meatloaf probably had fillers.

I did have a string cheese for a snack yesterday due to hunger, but other than that, I survived!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!
Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflogurl View Post
Stayed OP yesterday as well.... did have some cheese as a snack, but otherwise did OK. Was down another .4lbs today, but hoping for a whoosh for tomorrows weigh in!
KUTGW!!!

Well I was able to avoid all the junk food at the Open House last night...I ended up having 3 shakes yesterday cuz of travel and work. My scale read 150 even this am!!!!! 140s here I come
Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #1218
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Quote:
Well I was able to avoid all the junk food at the Open House last night...I ended up having 3 shakes yesterday cuz of travel and work. My scale read 150 even this am!!!!! 140s here I come
Awesome! Can't wait until I am in the 130s again!

As it is more convenient, I am using the EAS brand shakes as they have fewer cals and I like the taste better. If i get more ambitious, I will try to make my own.

Is anyone interested in having a weekly weigh in? (just a thought)
Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #1219
Senior LCF Member

Morning everyone! 137.4 here today Still chugging though, better than the day before so hopefully nowhere to go but down, right?

Bflo, recipe for just a basic shake? I can tell you the basic idea of what I do. What I WAS doing was adding two scoops, about 1 cup of water, an egg, two tablespoons of cream, 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, and hten a bunch of ice so that when it's all blended up it fills up a big, blue cup I have. I think that protein amount is now too much for me so I'll have to cut back on some of the water and ice and only do one scoop. Some of the protein powders I just use on their own, like the Whey Gourmet cookies and cream. Some of the other stuff, like that cheap Body Fortress brand from Walmart, I have to add a scoop of pumpkin and cinnamon + pumpkin pie spice. I also use Lorann oils or Davinci syrup to flavor.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #1220
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Gennie. I have some vanilla EAS powder om hand, I guess I will do trial and error to see what works for me and tastes yummy. I am excited about trying out different flavors though. Where does one buy Xanthan gum??

Joanne, I am up for a weekly weigh in. Fridays are my weigh in day now... does that work for you??
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #1221
Senior LCF Member

Bflo, do you have a big grocery store with an organics section? I have seen xanthan gum there at Giant, but I purchased my bottle from Netrition. It's not necessary but it helps thicken the shake. What flavors do you like? I think you should check out some of the Davinci syrups....I don't like doing stuff that is a big long process, heck I don't even like to cook if it's just for myself...that's when shakes come in handy.

Joanne, I'm up for it, it'll help keep me accountable! Hopefully I'll drop those pesky 2.4 pounds in three days since I was hoping to be 135 on the 15th...HAHA doubt it now, but never know.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #1222
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovemygrands
Stats: 200/172/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restarted 5-5-14 at 200 pounds
Good morning, everyone! Down another pound this morning. I still can't believe that scale is actually moving. I am at 170. I am just so anxious to get to 169 because according to my BMI I will just be considered Overweight and not Obese -- that's been my mini goal.

Since I started this shake thing on the 6 Week Cure, this is how I make my shakes and I am staying on that since it is working:

Designer's Whey (I prefer the Double Chocolate All Natural) -- 2 scoops
2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
Water and a little ice
Sometimes a splash of Divinci's Hazelnut syrup or spoon of instand decaf coffee
I usually put one egg in the morning shake, too. (Hope the raw egg doesn't kill me)

I had purchased one of those Magic Bullet blenders (I'm a sucker for things for sale on light night TV). Well, it has been in my pantry never used and decided to try it on these shakes. It is so convenient, but a blender would do the same thing. I just leave it out on my counter and make the shakes up. If you use a little ice, you really don't need to thicken it with anything. The more ice you put, the thicker it will be.

The Designer's Whey at Drug Emporium is $11.98 a can for 13 servings. I think that works out cheaper for me, and I love the taste of the shakes. I haven't tried other flavors because I'm to cheap to spend $11.98 and then find out I don't like it.

Yesterday I had two shakes and then my meal was large hamburger patty, sauteed fresh mushrooms in butter, and coleslaw. I buy the packaged shredded coleslaw, add mayonnaise and a packet of Splenda.

Have a great day!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #1223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/150/162
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I am kinda doing this-drinking coffee for breakfast -eating a large high fat lunch -drinking dinner-mainly blueberries and whip cream. So far down two lbs. This is my first real loss in 4-5 months and so encouraging. I will fix some breakfast in a few days. I tried the six week thing and it didn't move my weight any but I didn't do much more than 10 days. Wished I'd found earlier and not be so close to Thanksgiving.
Anne
1annewil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #1224
Senior LCF Member

I wonder if this thread should be moved since people may be confused if they see it in Atkins Maintenance? Glad to see everyone's having such success!!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #1225
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome 1annewil -- I didn't lose the first week on the 6WC either, but the second week I finally, slowly started coming down. I think it just takes a couple of weeks. I switched over here because I didn't want to go into that Week 3 & 4 meat/eggs. I prefer the shakes and they are working for me.

GennieF -- It would make more sense if this thread wasn't under Maintain Lane, but don't know how that's decided. I'm really new to this board. Over on the Atkins thread, someone asked a question about doing 2 shakes and a meal and they pretty much got shot down and was told that it wasn't according to Atkins. Luckily, someone finally mentioned this thread and that's how I found it.

Really, if you look at the numbers on the protein, they are very similar to the LC meal. I enter everything in ****** and try to keep the percentages around 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs. That is really close to the Atkins recommendations. I find if I don't keep that fat number up higher than the protein, I will not lose. That's just me and what I've determined entering my numbers everyday and then matching up the days I've lost and not. If I see my fat number isn't up, I add another tablespoon of the heavy whipping cream to the shake. The number I still can't wrap my brain around (as far as what works for me) is the calories. Right now it seems if I stay around 1500 that is best, but some days I don't get that high.

Sorry this was long, but I just wanted to say what is working for me, but I'm not an expert. Better to listen to people who have lots of weight. I'm just starting and trying to fumble my way along this journey.
lovemygrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #1226
Senior LCF Member

I think there are some people that would adhere to the whole foods is best method, and that deviation from anything that isn't strictly on the list and in a particular way isn't doing Atkins but a variation that is low carb. I don't really call it Atkins either, though...to be clear lol. There are Atkins shakes available, but of course there are Atkins bars and candy too, I think all of that is a whole other ball of wax though. I just call what I do an Atkins variation but not specifically Atkins. I don't know how to move threads but I guess another one could be started somewhere, perhaps on the low carb challenges board?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #1227
Major LCF Poster!

LC Challenges board sounds like a good place. Wanna start it up??
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #1228
Senior LCF Member

Okay...I'll do that now and post the link here, that way it'll be much less confusing :-D
Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #1229
Senior LCF Member

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post12734294 ok here we go, hope i didn't sound like a goofball with it but at least now people will not just think this is for maintenance
Old 11-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #1230
Major LCF Poster!

Okay! Headed to the new Thread. Hope everyone comes along.
lovemygrands is offline   Reply With Quote