Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
No weight loss to report yet --- staying steady . . . that's good, but I am losing inches and lost 5% more body fat - down to 37%!!! I lost 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the thighs, and 1/4 inch off the hips - I guess that accounts for the 5% down.

So, even if the numbers on the scale read the same, don't assume that the fat deposits aren't being removed elsewhere!!

Checking my journal from last year - on Jan. 9, 2006, I was weighing 160 lbs., accordingly, I am 11 lbs lighter and lovin' it. My body fat was 40% then, and now 37% - success in so many ways.

I am having a Shake for breakfast as I write, and am still counting down . . . .

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-08-2007 at 07:30 AM..
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robinkay
Stats: 250/190/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: OCT 16, 2010
I weighed in today at 179.5. I'm down 5 lbs in 4 days. I think using shakes as a meal replacement helps to keep calories down.
robinkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Way to go, Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkay View Post
I weighed in today at 179.5. I'm down 5 lbs in 4 days. I think using shakes as a meal replacement helps to keep calories down.
Robin,

Congrats on the 5 lb loss!! That's wonderful! Yes, I tend to agree with you on that one. Everyone's body is different but lowering calories and carbs in one way or the other will definitely have an effect on the body.

I am still at 149 but the inches have been falling off and I am experiencing a drop in my body fat level. Also, I am now noticing that the closer I am getting to my goal, the weight takes a little more time to come off. That's okay with me, as long as it goes!

Again, congrats on your 5 lb loss and keep up the good work. I wish you much success in your journey!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: noirebfly
Start Date: September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkay View Post

[COLOR="Magenta"]Robin,

That's wonderful. Congratulations. How often have you been drinking the shakes? One meal? Two meals?
[/COLOR]
noirebfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

I've been doing the shakes for two meals and eating solid foods for one meal.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to say . . .

I am still maintaining at 149 . . . . I added cheese as an occasional snack within the past two weeks and noticed that I am in the same spot (give or take a few ounces). I was lurking through the boards and noticed this thread about "Cheese." Never had a problem with weight loss while eating cheese the very first time around, but apparently my body has changed . . . even with eating nuts. The thread is interesting . . . so I will remove the cheese (as I did the nuts) and I should be back into losing a little bit more rapidly. My clothing's really loose fitting as I know that inches are going. . . . But, just in case, I will stop eating the cheese and I should be down to 148 very soon, as it has taken more than the normal 7-10 days to lose a pound or so for me.

Please read the thread as it may be of help to others who cheese (and dairy) like I do!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...95#post7994195

Still counting down to 140 . . . . !

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-14-2007 at 02:28 PM..
Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DEBI IN OHIO
Stats: 235.5/-----/150ish?
WOE: Diabetic.lower carbs
Start Date: 05/01, restart 2/22/08 again
I will probably get scolded for this, even though people say Walmarts prices all the time..........if U drink Atkins advantage shakes U MUST get to Target before Saturday.........on sale and 2.50 coupon on boxes.....
DEBI IN OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBI IN OHIO View Post
I will probably get scolded for this, even though people say Walmarts prices all the time..........if U drink Atkins advantage shakes U MUST get to Target before Saturday.........on sale and 2.50 coupon on boxes.....
Thanks for the heads up, Debi!!! I know I can't get there before Saturday but for those who can, GO FOR IT!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Guess What?

After many days of maintaining, and a little rollercoastering (due to water retention - salt from the cheese), . . . .

Drum Roll Pleeeaaazzze - I am in HEAVEN at 147!!!

This past long weekend, for a few days, I substituted several ounces of the delicious Monterary cheese (my snack) with a meat and egg (with cheese) omelet as suggested by one of our LCF's - HarleyLady. She stated in her post that that's how she lost her last 10 lbs . . . well, it works!

You can read her post here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=467329

Daily I am still drinking the two Atkins Shakes, until the end of this month, which will make a 90-day cycle of the plan.

Still counting to 140!!

BTW, thanks HarleyLady!!!

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-19-2007 at 04:14 AM..
Old 01-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slim@40
Stats: 165/150/130
WOE: low carb
Hi! Congratulations on your weight loss! I am very interested in your plan. Could you share with me what a typical evening meal is for you? Are you eating any low carb snacks or do you just have 2 meal-replacement shakes and dinner? Thanks!
slim@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim@40 View Post
Hi! Congratulations on your weight loss! I am very interested in your plan. Could you share with me what a typical evening meal is for you? Are you eating any low carb snacks or do you just have 2 meal-replacement shakes and dinner? Thanks!
For the first 30-60 days, I was basically having the 2 Atkins Shakes and dinner. Just recently, I have added snacks (nuts, Monteray Jack Cheese, 3- oz., devilled eggs, etc.) but since I keep a journal and weigh myself regularly, I saw that my weight loss was slowing down considerably - which is to be expected - but I was stalling, so I removed the 3-4 oz of cheese and nuts out of the plan. Now, I am incorporating the meat, eggs and cheese (I make an omelet) just a few days out of the week (mostly on the weekend).

A typical meal for me is anything that is on the Atkins' approved meal llist: Meat, salad and veggies . . . no starches, no sugar.

I particularly like roasted or fried chicken, broiled or fried steak, salmon, etc. as well as broccoli, cauliflower, lots of salad with mayo dressing or creamy ranch . . .

I drink plenty of water, decaf coffee w/cream . . . take my vitamin supplements, work out 4-5 days a week on the treadmill . . .

Weighing in regularly and keeping a journal are a top priority for me - that way, I can chart my progress, see what I need to improve on or omit out of the plan, if it stalls me or slows me down a little too much.

What works for one person may or may not work for the other, but for a fact, I know that lowering carbs and calories and exercising will definitely aid in weight loss.

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-20-2007 at 02:59 PM..
Old 01-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to start it on Monday. Shake for breakfast, lunch, and a big (low carb) dinner when I get home from work. I hope it works for me as well as it's working for you!!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to start it on Monday. Shake for breakfast, lunch, and a big (low carb) dinner when I get home from work. I hope it works for me as well as it's working for you!!
Here's well wishes and high hopes that it works for you! Today, my hairdresser told me that she lost 11 lbs within the last three weeks by drinking the shakes twice a day. On my last visit three weeks ago, she asked me what I was doing to lose weight, so I told her, but I was shocked to learn today that she was doing the plan, too.

She's happy about the weight loss and will continue a little while longer. She's not low carb completely, but it gives her an incentive.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

I had the shake around 9AM and waited until my stomach growled to have the lunch shake. The morning shake filled me up for 4 hours!!! I thought I would be starving when I got home but it's not bad. I just had a string cheese and I think I can wait another hour before I'll eat my taco salad. I'll keep you posted...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DEBI IN OHIO
Stats: 235.5/-----/150ish?
WOE: Diabetic.lower carbs
Start Date: 05/01, restart 2/22/08 again
I am not liking the vanilla too much, but with plenty of ice I can drink the chocolate easily...
I work 3rd shift (driving) so theres no heating any food up so,I put the shake and ice in a big cup before I leave for the night....the last 2 nights I drank a shake and had 2 wasa crackers with PB & butter for some crunch....ill let u know how its going
DEBI IN OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tibby
Stats: 185\174\140
WOE: loosely Atkins
Start Date: March 2001 (lonngg pause in the middle)
hey Dely, jumped over here to see your other thread,

interesting! Don't think I could do it all the time, but it's certainly something to consider doing if I start stalling out again. Keep up the good work, you're close to goal! After that, what are you planning to do to maintain?
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
interesting! Don't think I could do it all the time, but it's certainly something to consider doing if I start stalling out again. Keep up the good work, you're close to goal! After that, what are you planning to do to maintain?
To maintain, I plan to continue eating low carb in moderation, which I messed up last year - I will add low carb bread, low carb ice cream, berries, nuts, low carb cereal, but the difference is - MONITOR my weight regularly and, as Atkins teaches, if I see that I have gained (from increased amount of carbs), go back to Induction (or my 2 day Atkins Shakes plan) AND GET IT OFF!!!

I was in the mid-150's FOR SOOOOOO LONG, that I just assumed that I was still in the 150's . . . . then, I stepped on the scale and I was going up, up, up - all I know is that I'd reached 161 ---- that was IT for me.

So, it is CRITICAL that I weigh myself regularly in order to know what's happening with me . . . I just don't want to go through uncontrolled weight gain again.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

I'm happy to report that I'm down 4 pounds!!! I love this plan! The Atkins shakes are so filling. I think it's the combo protein/fat/fiber/vitamins in them that's so satisfying. I seem to be having the same thing for dinner every night...lg salad with tuna or chicken, lots of vegies, chopped hard boiled egg, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and Hidden Valley light ranch dressing. Very tasty! I also drink 3 cups of coffee and about 4 T. Half & Half in the morning. Total calories around 1000. Any way, I just wanted to report how I'm doing and I'm going to continue this WOE until I reach goal. Thanks again Delynmonet!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

THAT'S GREAT NEWS!

Quote:
I'm happy to report that I'm down 4 pounds!!! I love this plan! The Atkins shakes are so filling. I think it's the combo protein/fat/fiber/vitamins in them that's so satisfying. I seem to be having the same thing for dinner every night...lg salad with tuna or chicken, lots of vegies, chopped hard boiled egg, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and Hidden Valley light ranch dressing. Very tasty! I also drink 3 cups of coffee and about 4 T. Half & Half in the morning. Total calories around 1000. Any way, I just wanted to report how I'm doing and I'm going to continue this WOE until I reach goal. Thanks again Delynmonet!

slim@40!!! WOW!!! Down 4 pounds!!! That's just great!! Seems like you have your dinner plan together, too. Tonight, I am going to have a tuna salad with hard boiled eggs - think I will add the bacon and cheddar cheese, since you gave me the idea! I am so looking forward to more of your progress reports. Keep up the good work and you're very welcome!!

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-26-2007 at 03:01 PM..
Old 01-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #110
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: sjmiller
Stats: 182/125/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/29/03
Quote:
Any way, I just wanted to report how I'm doing and I'm going to continue this WOE until I reach goal.
And then what?

Atkins is about more than losing... it's about maintaining the loss.

While this "shake routine" may help you lose, you learn nothing about the principles of Atkins.

And eating 1000 calories will, I'm sure, backfire on you at some point... and then what will you do?

Even on maintenance, one shouldn't eat lower than 1500 calories.

Atkins, done properly, is about FOOD.

Oh well.
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Please do not comment against my WOE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
And then what?

Atkins is about more than losing... it's about maintaining the loss.

While this "shake routine" may help you lose, you learn nothing about the principles of Atkins.

And eating 1000 calories will, I'm sure, backfire on you at some point... and then what will you do?

Even on maintenance, one shouldn't eat lower than 1500 calories.

Atkins, done properly, is about FOOD.

Oh well.
SJMiller,

Thanks for your comment. First of all, this is my personal journal of progress with the Atkins Advantage Shake Routine. I started this routine for myself. If others choose to do it, that's fine. But, I am a well-learned Atkins-ite since November 2001. Yes, it is about FOOD - but FOOD is what has gotten us here at Low Carb Friends - to seek help on what works to lose weight. However, the method of induction, losing calories, lowering carbs within Atkins' guidelines, that someone chooses is of a PERSONAL nature. Once a goal is reached, the same method of adding more food, more good carbs, etc. is in place and a PERSONAL choice.

Meal replacement bars have been designed for that reason - to replace a meal. Same concept but for ME using Atkins Shakes - not for you nor anyone else.

Whatever works for one, may or may not work for another. I have read the book three times and fully am aware of what I am doing for ME. It is for others to make their choice and to learn and know the rules of Induction - which I agree with you 100%. I started the routine to share what I believed, within Atkins guidelines, was going to work for ME to shed pounds, which it did and it is helping me reach my goal - this is my "Induction" phase and then, I will move on to maintain. One thing for sure, I will always monitor the scale, because in maintenance, I lost my focus, assuming that I was always going to be the same weight, and I gained without following Atkins' advice, when you see 5 lbs, go back to Induction and get it off.

Please, though, on this thread encourage and don't discourage - as this thread was not started for that purpose. Or don't add your comments at all. This is not what Low Carb Friends about. Anyone can share what works for them, and as you see, it may help others move stubborn pounds. With this routine, it lowered my calories, my carbs, and coupled with exercise, I lost 14 and have 7 more to go . . . .

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-27-2007 at 02:39 PM..
Old 01-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Ouch!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tibby
Stats: 185\174\140
WOE: loosely Atkins
Start Date: March 2001 (lonngg pause in the middle)
Yeah, well, for some it is a way of life, for some it's just a diet. For some it can be, and is both. Coming on a thread and throwing something that challenging out that bluntly is just rude. And we all know it. I don't blame Dely for her response. I'd have done the same. If Miller was trying to be helpful, it could have been done with out the know-it-all absolutes. Some people can't loose while eating 1500 or more calories a day, and if he/she had done their research Miller would be aware of that. Don't let it get to you Dely, everyone is different, and if it's working for you, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone else. Your posts have stressed why and what you are doing is for you. You've answered all my questions without suggesting that this is the only way to go, and everyone elses the same. Good luck to you!
Restart 185/174/140
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for your loving support!

Quote:
Yeah, well, for some it is a way of life, for some it's just a diet. For some it can be, and is both. Coming on a thread and throwing something that challenging out that bluntly is just rude. And we all know it. I don't blame Dely for her response. I'd have done the same. If Miller was trying to be helpful, it could have been done with out the know-it-all absolutes. Some people can't loose while eating 1500 or more calories a day, and if he/she had done their research Miller would be aware of that. Don't let it get to you Dely, everyone is different, and if it's working for you, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone else. Your posts have stressed why and what you are doing is for you. You've answered all my questions without suggesting that this is the only way to go, and everyone elses the same. Good luck to you!
Quiet as it was kept, thanks Robinkay for your response . . .

Tibby,

From the thanks so much for your support . . . yes, everyone is different and it is true, some people can't lose while eating 1500 or more calories a day - I seem to fall in that category. Even if I eat nuts or 3-4 oz of cheese, which is part of the low carb plan as snacks, I stall or gain. We all should say "hooray" to what's working for others, and not criticize their methods. That's the support that you have given in your posts as well as many other LCF friends, and I appreciate that.

I will continue what I am doing with the shakes until I get to goal, and if I see that I can afford to lose more safely, I will continue. There's nothing set in stone or even wrong if I want to do that the rest of my life on a daily basis, right? As long as I eat a well-balanced low carb dinner, make sure I definitely have my veggies and salad, plenty of water, I am not starving myself. Believe me, if my body sends me signals, I know that adjustments would have to be made.

So, Tibby, I hold my head up high and will continue to report my progress with the Atkins Advantage Shakes plan . . . . and am still counting to 140! Thanks again for your support as well as Robinkay's and others!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #115
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Yeah, well, for some it is a way of life, for some it's just a diet.
I have no idea if this "comment" referred to me, but I have never thought of Atkins as a "diet".

For me, it is certainly a way of life.

I've maintained my weight loss for over a year. That should say something.

My source on the comment that no one, even someone on Maintenance, should eat less than 1500 calories comes from Colette Heimowitz, M.Sc., V.P. of Nutrition Communication and Education for Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

If doing less than 1500 calories and having shakes twice a day works for you to lose, then more power to it.

I stand by my comment that "eating" like that teaches you nothing (or very little) about the food that your body needs to work. To me, that's a "diet".

But I will make no further comments on this... I regret having let my fingers get the best of me when I posted in the first place. I knew that I would be a voice crying in the wilderness.

When this routine gets you to goal... what affect will having food for more than one meal have? I wonder.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmiller View Post
I have no idea if this "comment" referred to me, but I have never thought of Atkins as a "diet".

For me, it is certainly a way of life.

I've maintained my weight loss for over a year. That should say something.

My source on the comment that no one, even someone on Maintenance, should eat less than 1500 calories comes from Colette Heimowitz, M.Sc., V.P. of Nutrition Communication and Education for Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

If doing less than 1500 calories and having shakes twice a day works for you to lose, then more power to it.

I stand by my comment that "eating" like that teaches you nothing (or very little) about the food that your body needs to work. To me, that's a "diet".

But I will make no further comments on this... I regret having let my fingers get the best of me when I posted in the first place. I knew that I would be a voice crying in the wilderness.

When this routine gets you to goal... what affect will having food for more than one meal have? I wonder.

SJMiller,

You are not understanding anything about this routine . . . I am simply saying that, despite what you have read or by whom, everyone can use Atkins plan and products to reach goal in any method that they choose. This is something personal. On this thread, I am not asking whether you like or dislike, agree or disagree with my method. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you - it's my personal journal on what works for me.

When I add food, the fact that I read the book and I do know how to incorporate healthy carbs by the levels, Induction, Premaintenance and OWL, fits my lifestyle.

Congrats on maintaining your weight for over a year. What you have chosen works for you. But, that doesn't make you an authority over someone else's decision.

Thank you for saying that you will not make any further comments on this, as you have said enough.

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-28-2007 at 03:50 AM..
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #117
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delynmonet View Post
SJMiller,

You are not understanding anything about this routine . . . I am simply saying that, despite what you have read or by whom, everyone can use Atkins plan and products to reach goal in any method that they choose. This is something personal. On this thread, I am not asking whether you like or dislike, agree or disagree with my method. It has nothing whatsoever to do with you - it's my personal journal on what works for me.
Delynmonet,

Please check back... my post was directed at slim@40, not you.

I never addressed you or your journey. My comments were for slim@40.

And frankly, having a "personal journal" in a public forum... you have to expect comments!

Good luck with your journey...
sjmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

I've been very inspired by this thread. I vote to "move on".
Old 01-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #119
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Sorry to thread jack . . .

I've been reading your posts, and congratulations to everyone

I was wondering, I have Atkins Shakes RTD, but I also inherited
a couple of canisters of the powder mix. I like using the powder,
except that I have to use a blender to make it taste as good as
the RTD.

Unfortunately it is Winter and being the Hedonist that I am, I
don't want to eat or drink anything cold. Has anyone made their
shake into a warm drink? I thought if I used Hot water in the blender
it would be like a hot chocolate drink? Then I could put it in
my travel mug and actually have breakfast. What do you think?
I decided to try a chocolate shake warm. On the Powder canister, it says to mix it before heating, so I added a few extra ounces, whipped it up in the blender then put it in the microwave for about two minutes. It's as good as Swiss Miss Hot cocoa, but doesnt taste two sweet and sludgy like them. Not bad for a two carb hot drink.

BTW, It's all about choices, There is no right or wrong just what works, and Delymonet, I am so proud of you for finding what works and sticking to it. By putting yourself in the public eye, you are an inspiration for people to really look at THEMSELVES and find what works personally, rather than having to believe what everybody else "knows".

Thanks for the motivation.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Robinkay and Metqa,

Thanks for your encouragement and inspiration!

Metqa, I looked in my cabinet and have two powdered cans of Atkins . . . . I just heated the Strawberry flavor drink and added a little cream to it. It was pretty tasty. Thanks for the idea!

You are so welcome, too - I am trying to add positivity as there are so many negative things going around in society today, particularly with the weight loss strategy. Daily, we hear people saying "this won't work, I've tried it and it didn't work for me . . ." or "you're not supposed to eat this or that, you'll get fat/you won't lose," "you're not doing it right, I read where it said . . .". We need a place like Low Carb Friends to encourage, console and raise up one another. I enjoy reading posts that give others inspiration and the will to do (or try) things that will help or just plain work for them. Everyone is different, so what works for one, be it Atkins strategy or any other plan, will not necessarily work for another.

I feel that we should keep a positive spirit here at Low Carb Friends, and for those who are not positive or think they are "know it alls," it teaches us that in life, not everyone is agreement, but it's a free world of expression and opinions are like "noses" -- everybody has one!

Thanks so much ladies!

Last edited by delynmonet; 01-28-2007 at 01:30 PM..