Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #1051
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
Homestretch,

Yes, I too am having the same problem. I saw them at BJ's in the boxes but only the vanilla flavor - I tried them - they're okay but I prefer the chocolate royale. Anyway, I am out of the shakes until this weekend - then I can start my routine too. With all of the craziness for the past few months with my mom's hospitalization, failure to work out consistently, etc. I am up a few pounds too. I am shooting to lose 5 lbs. by the end of the month, as I have already lost 5 lbs just by lowering the carbs - cutting out cream in my daily coffee, just having decaf tea, no nuts, no pretzel rods (oops - when my nerves were rattled, I ate those), no tiramisu (last month on my anniversary), no Splenda (just in case), no low carb bread (I ate sandwiches on the go), no oatmeal (weight control oatmeal), no cornbread, no Endulge bars, no diet Snapple and no diet Sunkist. I just went cold turkey! Those things I ate during my nerve wrecking moments from January/February (when I had the flu) through April. And, since I couldn't find the shakes on a regular basis - I definitely built up more determination! AND I STARTED WEIGHING MYSELF AGAIN - something I had not done for quite some time during the madness! Oooh, I am also back to drinking LOTS of water!!!

That's the joy of knowing how to get it off. Atkins said that when you see five pounds - go back to the Induction plan. (Or the shakes routine - in my case).

Let's stick together and of course, we WILL DO IT!!!

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8

Last edited by delynmonet; 06-18-2008 at 11:27 AM..
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #1052
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Del** I am right here with you! I am going to look at Target for the shakes if I can get there before they switch them out for the new stuff. I guess I can also look at Netrition - duh! I would love to aim for 5 pounds by the end of the month....sounds like a good goal.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #1053
Major LCF Poster!

Looks like netrition has switched to the new shakes too but they do have the good flavors. If forgot to mention that they are now 6.99 for 4 at Wal-mart vs the 5.99 that they used to be ughhhhh!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #1054
Major LCF Poster!

Homestretch,

Everything is going ! But we will keep our weight ! I am hoping that BJ's will get the other flavors in very soon. I loved the Strawberry but then that was not too popular around my area. Anyway, I will be drinking two shakes a day and having the low carb dinner as I have been doing - protein, salad and veggies.

I just had lunch with a few friends and they keep telling me that I am so small but I know that I had gained inches more so than anything. My body fat stayed the same! A couple of my skirts were fitting a little snug around the waist - now, they are loose and I can put my hand down in the side of my skirt. I know I have the hormonal (peri-meno) symptoms which also cause bloat/water/salt retention periodically - so I don't freak out when the scale jumps up in the 2-3 lbs. range. But I also know if the rest of it is me - I love this WOE - because the weight just falls off. Low carb is definitely my lifestyle.

Homestretch, as always, I wish you all the best - let's do this 5-lb. down thing! Any extra ones down is a plus for us!

Last edited by delynmonet; 06-18-2008 at 01:23 PM..
Old 06-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #1055
Major LCF Poster!

**Del** I broke down and bought the Chocolate Delight at Wal-Mart today because that is what they had. In my opinion the flavor is just a bit off. I suppose I will adapt if I have to but it will be kicking and screaming (LOL!). I know that by just following my lowcarb plan this week my pants seem to be fitting better. It is amazing isn't it?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #1056
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I will probably stop using the shakes once all of the canned versions are gone. I don't like change. And I don't see the point of non-recyclable packaging. and changing the flavor. Nope, took me too long to find what I liked and when Its gone I'm gonna be hoppin mad.

Seems like the changeover is happening quite quickly. Get your cans while you can.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #1057
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I will probably stop using the shakes once all of the canned versions are gone. I don't like change. And I don't see the point of non-recyclable packaging. and changing the flavor. Nope, took me too long to find what I liked and when Its gone I'm gonna be hoppin mad.

Seems like the changeover is happening quite quickly. Get your cans while you can.
My son lives in the city and is coming home for the weekend. I am going to have him stop at Target for me and see if they still have the cans......keeping my fingers crossed! I am still hopeful that if I can ever find the Choc Royale, it will taste good. We shall see.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #1058
Major LCF Poster!

Change is good . . .

Quote:

Change is good . . . I too understand about the changing thing . . . but look at it this way - you had to change to get your weight loss plan going - the kinds of food that you ate - the drinks that you drank - from no exercise to some exercise.

I find that the Vanilla tasted better to me this time around in the boxes - it tastes more creamy and less "medicinal" - I had to adapt to drinking my decaf tea and coffee without Splenda for a while . . . drinking Seltzer instead of my diet Sunkist - so I understand your concern - believe me - but you are worth any change that will better you in the long run.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #1059
Major LCF Poster!

Got mine . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
**Del** I broke down and bought the Chocolate Delight at Wal-Mart today because that is what they had. In my opinion the flavor is just a bit off. I suppose I will adapt if I have to but it will be kicking and screaming (LOL!). I know that by just following my lowcarb plan this week my pants seem to be fitting better. It is amazing isn't it?
Homestretch -

Today, I purchased the Chocolate Royale - (2 cartons) I liked the Vanilla - so I am figuring the Chocolate Royale (since it's my favorite) will do just fine. My black jeans are fitting perfectly! There's air between my bod and the pants! WooHooo!!!

I got the shakes for $12.99 per carton. That's a savings for me since a salad in the City costs me on average $6.00.

Hang in there!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by delynmonet View Post
Change is good . . . I too understand about the changing thing . . . but look at it this way - you had to change to get your weight loss plan going - the kinds of food that you ate - the drinks that you drank - from no exercise to some exercise.

I find that the Vanilla tasted better to me this time around in the boxes - it tastes more creamy and less "medicinal" - I had to adapt to drinking my decaf tea and coffee without Splenda for a while . . . drinking Seltzer instead of my diet Sunkist - so I understand your concern - believe me - but you are worth any change that will better you in the long run.

Thanks. . .
I guess I'll try the vanilla if I see the tetra paks.

I just don't think I'll find any chocolate flavor as good as the chocolate royale. I cold drink them hot, tepid, room temp, cool, cold, frozen, you name it. They were one of my "you are worth it" expensive items.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #1061

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Change is hard.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #1062
Major LCF Poster!

Well my son went to Target and purchased all the cans that they had left (4-4 packs) and he bought me the chocolate royale in the new box. I had one this morning and it was not too good but tolerable. I will try the vanilla. I have to admit that I am bummed because I thought the old royale tasted like a milk shake. I do like the fact that they got rid of the aspartame.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #1063
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Good morning all!

I have been making homemade shakes since I couldn't get the RTD in the cans anymore. I miss the convenience of the RTD, but, I love my homemade version and find that it's more filling and less expensive, as well. It's also higher in calories, but that's OK, since I've worked it into my plan. The extra fat and calories come from the 1/2 and 1/2 and that's because I make a larger shake than the canned version. With my work schedule, this is more like a late BF which also works out OK, since I don't have a mid morning snack any more!

I'm slowly inching downwards and making progress towards my new and final goal of 125. I've been experimenting with new foods, added some favorites back in - but not every day, and finding my motivation to stay healthy and slimmer at a very high level!

Getting slimmer has been a mixed blessing, more positive feedback from some family and friends and some .... shall I say neutral from some female family members and friends. Every time I see family, they've gotten heavier and I've gotten thinner. The male members congratulate me and beam as they've never seen me at this weight, the females avoid comments and/or any compliments. A few months ago, this bothered me, now, I can't help but laugh inside, who ever would have thought that at 47 I could be considered a threat or have women younger than me be jealous?! My sister in law did tell me that I was melting (which is the closest thing I'll get to a compliment from her and that's OK!). Her son, age about 40, jaw dropped when we arrived at his house for a family visit. He last saw me at 45 pounds dropped, so I've changed a bit! I don't think his wife was quite as pleased, as she's gained some more weight from the last time I've seen her and she didn't even acknowledge the additional weight loss. I didn't flaunt my WOE or anything, I just stayed away from the junk food and sodas that were being consumed and stayed with the meats and vegies. I must say, I was hungry after leaving there as there wasn't much healthy food to eat! Thank God for the small bags of mixed nuts I had stashed in the car for emergencies!

Well, off to make my shake and get to work around the house! Have a great weekend and I'll try to post more often!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #1064
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa - that's the spirit!!! Kissa, ditto - but we can do it. Homestretch, the Chocolate Royale was not too bad . . . it tastes on the "lighter" side to me. Deb - YOU GO GIRL!!! Always remember, a no comment from others, in our "weightloss" case, IS A COMPLIMENT!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #1065

Well done Deb, you are doing so well, it must be hard for your family to see you shrink while they grow, what a shame they haven't the courage to join you on you journey to health.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #1066

Quote:
Well my son went to Target and purchased all the cans that they had left (4-4 packs) and he bought me the chocolate royale in the new box. I had one this morning and it was not too good but tolerable. I will try the vanilla. I have to admit that I am bummed because I thought the old royale tasted like a milk shake. I do like the fact that they got rid of the aspartame.

They never contained aspartame. At least the ones I drank did not. that for me was one of the bonuses of using the Atkins Shakes instead of other brands.Besides tasting better in general. I also used the Slim Fast Dark Chocolate Shakes, but they weren't as good by far.

Thanks for being a guinea pig. So if the Old Chocolate Royale tasted like a milkshake, what does the new chocolate royale taste like?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #1067
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ummrashid
Stats: 322/284 and pregnant/150'ish
WOE: ??????
Start Date: March 9, 2008
Yes , for the past 3 months I have been buying them in the can. As of now the cans seem to b obsolete and all they have for sale now are the cartons..rats!!!!
ummrashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #1068
Major LCF Poster!

Metqa** my mistake I thought I read that the new shakes no longer had aspartame but maybe it was the bars that they were referring to. I think the new chocolate royale tastes watered down and thin. It is OK and I think I may try freezing it to make it thicker but I might pop the box!LOL!

Deb**You are on a roll! I am so proud of you! My side of the family has been very complimentary of my weight loss but my husband's side has never said a thing. My sister n law took every opportunity to point out how thin she is when I was really overweight and now she never mentions weight. I really do not care. I think it is weird but they are not very complimentary people. Some of my friends do not acknowledge my weight loss and I just figure that it is because they have their own weight struggles and it is just too hard for them. The most difficult person is my sister who thinks that somehow I left her out in the cold by not helping her lose weight. She even cried about it. She always tells me that I need to tell her what to eat and when I tell her that I eliminated most carbs and I count calores she says, "well I am not going to do that". So it has put a strain on our relationship. It is really strange how weight can effect other people.

Also Deb would you share your shake recipe with us? I am always open to new things.

I am going to make a huge effort to post my food again since I am having some accountability issues. Here is my plan for the day:

B: Shake
L: Shake
S: Egg with 1/2 TBS mayo and broccoli
D: Steak and green beans

Have a happy day!

"Be careful the environment you choose for it will shape you; be careful the friends you choose for you will become like them." ~ W. Clement Stone

BELIEVE IN THE POWER WITHIN YOURSELF!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #1069

Quote:
Metqa** my mistake I thought I read that the new shakes no longer had aspartame but maybe it was the bars that they were referring to. I think the new chocolate royale tastes watered down and thin. It is OK and I think I may try freezing it to make it thicker but I might pop the box!LOL!

Deb**You are on a roll! I am so proud of you! My side of the family has been very complimentary of my weight loss but my husband's side has never said a thing. My sister n law took every opportunity to point out how thin she is when I was really overweight and now she never mentions weight. I really do not care. I think it is weird but they are not very complimentary people. Some of my friends do not acknowledge my weight loss and I just figure that it is because they have their own weight struggles and it is just too hard for them. The most difficult person is my sister who thinks that somehow I left her out in the cold by not helping her lose weight. She even cried about it. She always tells me that I need to tell her what to eat and when I tell her that I eliminated most carbs and I count calores she says, "well I am not going to do that". So it has put a strain on our relationship. It is really strange how weight can effect other people.

Also Deb would you share your shake recipe with us? I am always open to new things.

I am going to make a huge effort to post my food again since I am having some accountability issues. Here is my plan for the day:

B: Shake
L: Shake
S: Egg with 1/2 TBS mayo and broccoli
D: Steak and green beans

Have a happy day!
Wow, I don't have any bars any more but I thought they were aspartame free too. Live and learn.

Y'know I sometimes wonder if people don't say anything about your weight loss because they feel embarrassed to acknowledge it for fear of hurting your feelings. "if I say it looks like she lost weight, I'm saying that she was overweight before, so I better not say anything"

I'm sorry your hubbys family is not being nicer about it. I quit talking to my Mom about it cause she's say, I'm going low carb, then a holiday comes up and she'd refuse to use try suggestion for a low carb substitute from a common food and then well, what's the point. My cauliflower and cheese recipe tastes so much better than her mac and cheese, but she insists on making it. Then she claims it doesn't work and goes back to low cal. whatever floats her boat. You can't live their lives for them, right.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 06-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #1070
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Glad to share my recipe Homestretch!

Because $ has been tight, I haven't ordered from Netrition and am currently using Aria women's protein (word of caution, it's a blend of 50-50 whey and soybean) made by Designer Whey. Seventeen portions per container and about $9.00 at Publix, which is where I'm able to find the Walden Farms SF syrup, too.

I use 1 scoop of protein powder (this is vanilla flavored)
1 raw egg
apx 1/2 cup cold strong brewed coffee (I use Starbucks espresso roast)
1 few Tbl of Waldenfarms SF syrup
apx 1/4 c of 1/2 and 1/2
handful of crushed ice or cubes
I also add some Benefiber since the shake mix doesn't offer any fiber.
Throw into my magic bullet and viola.... iced shake in less than a minute!

If you're not comfortable w/ raw eggs, use the 2 scoops of protein powder instead (per the container 80 calories, 3 carbs, 14 g protein, 0 fiber)

When I can, I'll order Nectar brand Chocolate Truffle mix, Very good, large container, works out to about $1.00 per serving of their mix. I had bought the Capuchino flavor and didn't really care for it because of the cinnamon flavor that is added to the mix.

I'll also make egg cremes, white chocolate shakes (just add white chocolate Davinci's SF syrup to an egg creme), pumpkin shakes (just add a few TBl to pumpkin to an egg creme or vanilla protein powder, some sweetener of choice, some pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon and nutmeg, some vanilla extract).

The shake possibilities are endless!!

RE: The feedback from family, etc. My hubby just laughed when I told him about the lack of comments from the female members, he said "You mean to tell me you're actually surprised?!" And then went on to tell me that when men either get fat or lose weight they just tell each other "Man, you got fat" or "Man, you look good, lost some weight, huh" Short and sweet and non competive or "catty".

Time for BF, back later!!
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #1071
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Deb! I have some designer whey in the pantry. I need to get it out and experiment. Guys are non catty about weight. I guess we could learn a thing or two about how they interact. I just had to have a conversation with my teenage daughter last night because she went to a party and a girl she does not know was nasty to her for no reason. My daughter is just beginning to be at the age to get attention from boys (even though she is not really into them yet.....thank goodness) and she is a very pretty girl (sorry, not to toot my own horn) so quite a few boys are interested in her. This particular girl got very angry because my daughter talked to a certain boy. I told her to remember when someone treats you bad for no reason the problem is about them and not about you. Funny how girls and grown women can be so competitive and catty.

Metqa** You are right we can't make anyone change their habits, we are only responsible for ourselves. I do think some people do not talk about weight because of fear of hurting our feelings. Like somehow I did not realize I was 50 pounds overweight hahaha! My sister in law is too thin and gets it naturally. 50 pounds ago she was constantly making comments like, "don't bother scooting down on the sofa to make room for me I am so tiny I can just squeeze in anywhere"! Trust me I wanted to stuff a pillow down her throat LOL! Now she does not say a word and actually I prefer it that way. It is kind of humorous if you really think about it.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #1072
Major LCF Poster!

Great comments - I guess I have a "just-don't-care attitude" about certain things that seem "nonsensical" to me (full of nonsense). I figure if someone doesn't WANT to talk to me or if they talk ABOUT me - they want to be LIKE me! I don't know why I am like that - I guess that the world can be so "cold" and "catty" - my reaction keeps me from going into a depressed state or one of worriation. When I was younger I used to cry a lot when I thought that no one liked me or that people were picking on me. My mom used to say to me "You'd better get a backbone, girl!"

So, if they have issues with my weight loss - it's their problem and not mine. Half the time - I find that most people are not truly serious about weight loss - you tell them what you've done and they don't follow your advice anyway. They have to WANT TO change - otherwise, they will stay the same. In the long run, we are a unique class of people!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #1073
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy lady T
Stats: 245/235/Goal 150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: original 9/98 restarted 6/16/08
I agree with you all 100%. A great deal of people will try and embarrass you at times. By Asking all kind of personal questions around a million people. When I see people that have done well. I will try to say it to them when it's one on one. Sometimes I'm afraid that maybe a person is stressed out or have been ill. So I tread lightly when I give compliments. We all just have to remember we are getting healthy, so we will need to compliment ourselves.
healthy lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #1074

Yeah, it's like going up to someone and saying "hey, you've lost a lot of weight, you look great, how'd you do it"

and they say " I've had the stomach flu for 2 weeks and have been on antibiotics and electrolyte fluid replacement an high dose medication to try to stop the constant vomiting. . ."

Y'know now that I think of it, the RTD shakes are one of the few things I can use if I have been feeling bad or suffering from tummy aches. It is so smooth, innocuous, filling and with enough calories and vitamins to keep me from getting weaker than if I didn't eat at all. the other time I had troubles I survived solely on swiss cheese and hot cream cheese cauliflower slurry, otherwise know to me as soup. I'dve loved to have the shakes during that time. but I think I couldn't have cocoa at that time.

I think about the times my mom has commented on my body. After a year of biking and walking to work she said I was too thin. After a different year having a sit - down job to which I drove everyday, she said, so you're putting on some weight maybe you should exercise more and eat less fat I'm not good enough thin, and I'm not good enough plump, but I'm still smaller than everyone else in the family( except my niece who is a walking stick). I can' win I just need to figure out where I'm comfortable, get there and be there.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 AM   #1075

What a lot of good sense you have all had to say there.

I think it is sad that families can't just give loving support and praise but I guess that is families for you!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #1076
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all! So much for posting my menu every day. I have been so busy that I am lucky to get to post a few times a week. I am still on plan and still using my shakes. I have also increased the fat and that does wonders for appetite control!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #1077

Just when I was thinking that I'd need some kind of incentive to try the new shakes (Those things cost $6 per box, what If I don't like 'em) Guess what I get in the mail?

One of those flimsy flyers that usually just advertise the local store regular priced stuff, and there in the back was a real coupon for the the RTD 4 pack for $2 off. That would make them only a dollar per can, and worth trying. I dug in the trash near the mailboxes and found where another person had discarded their flyer, as I almost did, and got another one, in case I do like them.

What are the odds?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #1078
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just when I was thinking that I'd need some kind of incentive to try the new shakes (Those things cost $6 per box, what If I don't like 'em) Guess what I get in the mail?

One of those flimsy flyers that usually just advertise the local store regular priced stuff, and there in the back was a real coupon for the the RTD 4 pack for $2 off. That would make them only a dollar per can, and worth trying. I dug in the trash near the mailboxes and found where another person had discarded their flyer, as I almost did, and got another one, in case I do like them.

What are the odds?
I got it too!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #1079

Ha! If I find anyone still selling the steel cans I'm gonna use it to buy THEM instead.
I found two more coupons in the rubbish bin this morning. Lucky me!!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #1080

Happy Independence Day to you all.

Hope the routine is still working for you all.

Del, Homestretch, everyone, I may bow out of here for a while as I am doing IE at present and have so much difficulty getting shakes over here. You may be pleased to know that I am down a pound though.

I'll still se you over on the TM buddies thread though.