Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #961
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: delynmonet
WOE: Atkins - 2 shakes per day/lc meal
Start Date: November 16, 2001
I'm so sorry - my condolences to your family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb79fl View Post
Just another quick note to my friends on the boards. Sad news for our family My MIL died this past weekend. She had been in ICU for several weeks and her body just couldn't take any more. She was almost 89, so had a long life. Still, she'll be missed by us all. This was my hubbies "birth" mom that we located about 15 years ago (along with his siblings). We had a nice relationship with her and the rest of the family.

Most people complain about their MIL's, I was blessed to have two very different ladies that loved my husband. Both his birth mom and adoptive mom. They never met, but I know they both were proud of him. We buried his adoptive mom just three years ago at 92 1/2! Very nice lady that I was proud to have as my MIL.

So sad to see family losses, but that is the way of life.

Be back soon and in a better frame of mind. Have to get off line, as I don't want my hubby to see me crying.

Del, so glad your mom is improving! Hello and best wishes to everyone else!

Oh, Deb . . . So sorry to hear about your MIL's passing. May you and your family continue to hold on to the good and dear memories of her. I too have a WONDERFUL MIL! Would not trade her for the world! She's just like another birth mother next to my mom. It's great to have a relationship like that!

Thanks for your best wishes for my mom. She's going in to have a stone removed next Tuesday - outpatient surgery - so no overnight stay. WHEW!

Homestretch - good to see your posts too! It's been a while for me - I've been running back and forth - but in the end - it's truly worth it. I have no regrets in caring for my mom. My DH and brother have been so very helpful in that department. Can't complain about that. Thanks for your well wishes too!

Will be checking in soon and take care everyone!

Weight before re-induction - 12/2/05 - 167 lbs
Re-induction again: 12/26/05 - 165 lbs (42.5% BF)
Atkins Shakes Plan: 7/6/10 - 168 lbs (40% BF)
Goal weight - 140 lbs, size 8
delynmonet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #962
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: homestretch
Stats: 206.5/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/26/06
Deb**So sorry for your loss. How wonderful that you and your husband got to have a warm relationship with his birth mother.

Del**You are such a good person for caring for your mother. I know how hard and stressful it can be to care for an elderly parent. I know I would have done the same for my mother and if your mother is like mine was they are so appreciative.
homestretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #963
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dimples-n-curls
hello! I want to try this WOE. I've read this whole thread and have so much inspiration!!! i've been doing so many different diets and NoTHINg is working. I feel and look terrible. I'm not even hanging out with my friends any more. I'm avoiding all social event because I'm so aware of my self....I've bought some shakes and have committed to trying this. I have to do something about my body ToDAY!!!! I weigh 228.5....I can't believe I even typed that number!!! I want to be 150....

Last edited by dimples-n-curls; 05-03-2008 at 06:07 PM..
dimples-n-curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #964
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb79fl
Start Date: Every day
Welcome Dimples!

Always glad to have another aboard. I would start with one shake a day, either a meal or a snack to see how you feel with them. I used from day 1, had mine each morning for breakfast. It is still my prefered BF food. Make sure you eat enough each day and don't get too hungry. It will get easier as time goes on and after you've lost some weight, you'll feel better about yourself, too.

I never thought I'd make it through the first week, but made myself a promise to be good for one week only. After I lost several pounds that first week, it gave me the motivation to keep going. You will not lose every week, so that is the time to keep challenging yourself to go another day.

You've made a good choice in going low carb, easier to follow and far less hunger than low fat.

Come back and visit often, post often and look around the boards, as you'll find lots of people that are on the same journey... some farther along than others, but with the same goals.

Have a great night!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #965
Junior LCF Member

thanks Deb...I need as much encouragement as I can get. your numbers are so impressive...you are really doing great!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #966
Junior LCF Member

I have a question...I noticed in previous post that some add CO to the shakes. How much exactly do you add. Add does it change the taste tremendously. I have never had CO before, is it sweet...and one more thing...where do you buy it?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #967
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Dimples.

Low carb is a wonderful way of eating and the shakes are a real help to some of us.

As you skim these boards you will see that 228 is not such a huge figure at all. You have taken the first steps of your new way of life, well done.

I can't really advise you on CO but there are a lot of threads about it on the boards. It isn't sweet at all and I do use it occasionally but never regularly enough to comment on any of its 'miracle' properties.

Speaking for myself I find it too coconutty, if that make sense! I love fresh coconut but not dried or those things that smell of coconut like some cosmetics. So when I cook a curry I will use the CO and then add coconut milk from a can.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #968
Junior LCF Member

Hi Kissa

I've read this whole thread and I feel like I know you...so it felt a little like a groupie with a celebrity when I saw that you answered my question. Thank you so much! First of I think that you are beautiful and I'm jealous that you travel so much! when I grow up I want to be just like you . But thanks for the advise. I do like coconut, and I will try to read other threads about the benefits of it.

I've noticed that this thread has slowed down but I so hope that we can bring it back to life...I would be thrilled for the support!!!

Take care!
Old 05-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #969

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Thanks for the kind compliment Dimples. I have been lucky to live all over and travel so much.

You are right it has been kind of slow lately...I guess we are victims of our own success. Most of us are maintaining now!!!

Good to have you on board.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #970

I would love to join your guys...
i quit smoking in NOV. and went on BCP in Feb. and i am up 10 pounds. Honestly it is not the smoking..it is the hormones....I went off the pill and now, i cannot get the 10 off. I have never made goal..GOAL IS 120. I have been as low as 125 that was 3 years ago. I have been 133-135 for about 3 years with one dip to 126(which was bliss) and that lasted a week. I am an emotional eater..I eat and do not even KNOW it...expecially when i am cooking.
I want to join this challenge! I fear the feelings of hunger...it is weird. i used to be able to go all day without feeling 'full' but lately it makes me edgy..i forgot what satisfied feels like and now go directly to over stuffed.
I really would love some support. I had my shake for lunch but I had 8 0z of prime rib for a snack. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast with two slices of bacon. I am afraid i wont see the shack as a snack but rather a drink with a meal!!!!
Any advise?
1/1/12-137
1/4/12-135
1/14/12-132
1/16/12-131
1/26/12-129!!!( have not been here in 5 years!)
2/2/12-127!!!
2/14/12-124.5!!!!
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #971
Junior LCF Member

Hi Aim,
Congrats on quiting smoking!!! That is a HUGE accomplishment!!!

Well, I don't have much advise being that I've only done the shake "thing" for 3 days...its been pretty good so far. The shake is filling. And I add some davinci syrup to it becuase it isn't sweet enough...I will slowly reduce the amount of syrup...but I have to enjoy it or else I won't be satisfied and that makes me cheat.

Today, I drank a shake on my way to work, I had a grilled chicken salad for lunch, and a minute muffin for dinner. I've been drinking lots of water too.

Try drinking the shakes and share your success with me.

Take care!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #972

we should do a challege...wanna.
I was starving today though...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #973
Junior LCF Member

yeah sure...what is your challenge? I will think of my challenge. Maybe it will be to stay on plan for the whole month of May...two shakes a day...one meal.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #974
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!

Hope everyone had a nice mother's day weekend! I see we've not been posting often, so let me start off the week!

I've "shaken" up my routine a little. I used to drink an Atkins Mocha shake every day for BF, but, since they've changed the recipe, I can't stand the new taste. Tastes more like an EAS brand, which I don't personally care for. So, I've been making my own. I have several protein powders and have made one w/ pumpkin, vanilla whey, ice, cubes, sweetener that tastes really good. I've also been making egg cremes w/ protein powder, a few eggs, sweetener, ice cubes, and various flavors. All very good. Bought some Jay Robb Powder and brewed some Espresso and am preparing this a.m. for my homemade Mocha Espresso shake. I'll add some additional chocolate Davinci's for sweetness and maybe a little 1/2 and 1/2. My homemade versions are a little higher in calories than the RTD, but also higher in protein, so they're keeping me satisfied longer.

I seem to lose better w/ a higher protein level, so that's a good thing, too. Down to 140, so I've lost a few pounds w/o any other changes. Hoping to get into the 130's soon.

Have a great Monday and hope to see some more "updates" later today from the rest of the gang!

Last edited by Deb79fl; 05-12-2008 at 05:59 AM..
Deb79fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #975

we could supplement a meal a day
Old 05-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #976
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning!

Hope everyone had a nice mother's day weekend! I see we've not been posting often, so let me start off the week!

I've "shaken" up my routine a little. I used to drink an Atkins Mocha shake every day for BF, but, since they've changed the recipe, I can't stand the new taste. Tastes more like an EAS brand, which I don't personally care for. So, I've been making my own. I have several protein powders and have made one w/ pumpkin, vanilla whey, ice, cubes, sweetener that tastes really good. I've also been making egg cremes w/ protein powder, a few eggs, sweetener, ice cubes, and various flavors. All very good. Bought some Jay Robb Powder and brewed some Espresso and am preparing this a.m. for my homemade Mocha Espresso shake. I'll add some additional chocolate Davinci's for sweetness and maybe a little 1/2 and 1/2. My homemade versions are a little higher in calories than the RTD, but also higher in protein, so they're keeping me satisfied longer.

I seem to lose better w/ a higher protein level, so that's a good thing, too. Down to 140, so I've lost a few pounds w/o any other changes. Hoping to get into the 130's soon.

Have a great Monday and hope to see some more "updates" later today from the rest of the gang!
Are the new Atkins Mocha shakes in the "drink box" type container instead of the can? I saw them a Target and got them...I hope they don't taste too different! I hate when companies change stuff on me...its the worst!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #977
Senior LCF Member

Yup, box style container! You might like them, though... give them a shot.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #978

you guys want to start a challenge?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #979
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ummrashid
Stats: 322/284 and pregnant/150'ish
WOE: ??????
Start Date: March 9, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim in Fla*working View Post
you guys want to start a challenge?
I would like to be in this challenge,here is what I have been doing so far :
first 2 days I replaced breakfast with a shake and used my 18 carbs throughout the day as normal.
after that I replaced breakfast and lunch with shakes and I was taking in no -carb snacks and using my 16 carbs for dinner only. its been 7 days so far in total, and the only ajustment I had to make was upping my calories a little because I was down to 1200 and I think that was too low.
my start weight was 298 5-7 and as of today I am 294.

ETA: oops!!! Sorry , duh, this is the "maintain lane" the only thing I am trying to maintain is not screwing this up, I still have a loooong way to go.

[COLOR="Black"]Having a [COLOR="Magenta"]b[/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="Magenta"]b[/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"]y[/COLOR] April 2009[/COLOR]

Last edited by ummrashid; 05-13-2008 at 08:27 AM..
ummrashid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #980
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Aboard!

Even though it's on the maintainers area, several of us have been here with further goals to lose more weight. I am close, but still plan on losing some more pounds. At least 10 more for me. Hope to reach 130 or less before my one year anniversary in July.

The shakes are a great meal replacement. Don't eat too few calories or you'll stall!! I probably averaged close to 2000 the first few months. When I went low, I stalled BIG TIME!! Keep the fats up, protein level moderate to high and carbs lower. I tried to keep carbs between 20-30 per day. I don't remember where on the site, but there are some links for calculating needed protein and calories. Maybe do a search to find easier.

BTW, Aim, what kind of challenge did you want to start?

Have to get ready for work, so I'll check back in later tonight! Have a good day everyone!

Debbie
Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #981

how about replace a meal with a shake Challenge. You know..we probably will get alot of trouble...people will come in a go on about whole food.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #982
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone and welcome to the newbies! It is so awesome to see some life breathed into this thread again.

Deb**If they mess with my Chocolate Royale shake I will cry like a baby! I have not seen the shakes in a drink box yet hmmmmm can't wait.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestretch View Post
Hi everyone and welcome to the newbies! It is so awesome to see some life breathed into this thread again.

Deb**If they mess with my Chocolate Royale shake I will cry like a baby! I have not seen the shakes in a drink box yet hmmmmm can't wait.
have you guys noted a drop in weight by replacing shakes for one meal?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #984

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:

What is the point of the drink box? Is it easier to recycle? Hold more? or less? I agree with homestretch, Chocolate Royale is the ONLY one I can drink. If they change the formula, they will lose a customer! Hey, Maybe we should write'em?
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #985
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Yup, box style container! You might like them, though... give them a shot.
I tried the Mocha Latte this morning in the "drink box" container and WAS NOT PLEASED AT ALL! I even tried to doctor it up by putting some Davinci's syrup in it and it was awful!!!! I'm so disappointed!!!! I loved the mocha flavored ones? WHAT CAN WE DO? I need the old flavor back!!! This is soooo upsetting!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #986
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
What is the point of the drink box? Is it easier to recycle? Hold more? or less? I agree with homestretch, Chocolate Royale is the ONLY one I can drink. If they change the formula, they will lose a customer! Hey, Maybe we should write'em?
I'm not sure what the purpose was for changing to the box, because it is the same amount (11 oz.)! Maybe it is for recycling, or maybe take up less space. I'm not sure, I just know the new flavor for the Mocha Latte sucks big time!!! I'm so disappointed!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #987

Quote:
have you guys noted a drop in weight by replacing shakes for one meal?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #988
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I replaced two meals and my snack in the beginning. However, as time went on I did begin to replace two meals a day and then one. It works for me. I think part of it is being very "in control" at a meal plus the shakes are low calorie and healthy so they make an excellent low carb/low cal source of protein. I think that one meal a day replaced with the shake can help you lose.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #989
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
OK ladies lets write them. Go to the website and tell them that the new shakes bite! I think it is worth a try. I imagine that the new drink boxes are cheaper packaging than the cans.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #990
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
OK ladies lets write them. Go to the website and tell them that the new shakes bite! I think it is worth a try. I imagine that the new drink boxes are cheaper packaging than the cans.
I wrote to Atkins!!! I even tried to order Mocha online from the Atkins website and it says out of stock...maybe they are manufacturing more...hopefully!!! Lets all write to them...I can't imagine they would take a product away that is so well liked among low carbers....